the OFFICIAL Okami thread

5/5 from Hardcore Gamer. no surprises there.

Gamespot's review is coming up tonight. If they give it a 9 or above, it might just make it in the top 20 of all time at Gamerankings.

[quote name='Foolman']Almost time! I feel like I have been waiting forever for this game.

And pfft, NTSC UK giving it an 8.[/QUOTE]

they're just jealous of our 60hz TVs and lack of roundabouts in our cities.

[quote name='Apossum']they're just jealous of our 60hz TVs and lack of roundabouts in our cities.[/QUOTE]

1) I never want to drive in London. Roundabouts and cabbies are scary as shit. Wow. Take the train instead.

2) Gamespot has their review going up tonight. Greg Kasavin is the reviewer.

[quote name='Chacrana']1) I never want to drive in London. Roundabouts and cabbies are scary as shit. Wow. Take the train instead.

2) Gamespot has their review going up tonight. Greg Kasavin is the reviewer.[/QUOTE]

I've only been through one (Wolf Rd. in Des Plaines, been there?) and it's annoying. One time, some obviously distressed mom in a mini-van just completely stopped in the middle of it.

It'll be interesting to see what Greg Kasavin has to say. He's almost critical to a fault, but honest.

I 'm not sure if Is hould pick this up or not. I don't want it to land in the bargain bin months later. It could pull a Viewtiful Joe or Phoenix Wright.

yay! I was afraid my finances wouldn't let me get this, but I will be able to :)

for PS2 titles, I really need this and God Hand, and then I'm ready for Wii and Ps3... I'll get Yakuza down the line...

guess I'll be shelfing Xenosaga 3 for a while to play the hell out of this.

They said that no voice acting was a bad thing... maybe I'm weird, but I see no voice acting as a definite good point for a game.... gives the company that's localizing the game fewer chances to fuck up.

Anyway, I can't wait for this game... though admittedly, I want to finish FFVIII first before I move on to Okami (probably will start it early next week.)

[quote name='Chacrana']They said that no voice acting was a bad thing... maybe I'm weird, but I see no voice acting as a definite good point for a game.... gives the company that's localizing the game fewer chances to fuck up.

Anyway, I can't wait for this game... though admittedly, I want to finish FFVIII first before I move on to Okami (probably will start it early next week.)[/QUOTE]

hey, animal crossing had no voice acting, but voices, yet it still was awsome. I bet this is in the same vein.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']hey, animal crossing had no voice acting, but voices, yet it still was awsome. I bet this is in the same vein.[/quote]It's similar to that and Banjo-Kazooie. It's like weird voice samply stuff.

Man, I'm so excited for is game that I actually cancelled my overstock preorder with the $20 off coupon, just so I could get it sooner from EB B&M. Though it should be noted that overstock had it for $50, so the $20 coupon was really only $10 off retail price, but this would still be the first time I've willingly paid $10 more just to save myself a week (or less) of waiting. Now if only I could speed up time 40 hours...

the voices are pretty much the same as Animal Crossing, except you can't discern any words in the garble since they sampled japanese, put some dampening on it and flipped it backwards.

[quote name='Apossum']the voices are pretty much the same as Animal Crossing, except you can't discern any words in the garble since they sampled japanese, put some dampening on it and flipped it backwards.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's fine. I just don't want Michael Madsen to be cast as a fucking wolf now.

[quote name='DJSteel']i can't wait to get this game tomorrow...[/quote]Considering I was just bombarded with no less than six Pittsburg pictures, I think I can say "LOL STEELERS" and still be on topic.

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']I 'm not sure if Is hould pick this up or not. I don't want it to land in the bargain bin months later. It could pull a Viewtiful Joe or Phoenix Wright.[/QUOTE]

Try and do a trade-in deal for it... I just found a K-Mart with some cheap games, if I snatch them up and trade them in today I'm paying around $20 for Okami out of pocket for $40 + worth of credit. Even if it does bomb in price I only paid $20.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, that's fine. I just don't want Michael Madsen to be cast as a fucking wolf now.[/QUOTE]

"My fuckin name is Amaterasu and I'm here to bring back some fuckin' light to the fuckin' land of Nippon. Shit! fuck!"

[quote name='javeryh']Any chance that stores will have this today?[/quote]

I went to gamestop not too long ago (omg there was this guy standing there and he couldn't figure out what he wanted to buy or put a reserve on, etc... had two people behind him getting pissed the fuck off. Luckily I broke from the line and played Smash Bros - The only GC game that Gamestop endorses I swear.) and there were plenty of boxes today and the guy behind the counter said it should be here today but he told me to come back/call in an hour to be sure.

Here's hoping!

nothing in Madison today. haven't got the pre-order gifts yet either.

It won't be in stores today. Don't bother going out of your way to look.

Anyway, had mine preordered for months. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']It won't be in stores today. Don't bother going out of your way to look.

Anyway, had mine preordered for months. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

some places will get it if they're close to a distribution center.

[quote name='Roufuss']Try and do a trade-in deal for it... I just found a K-Mart with some cheap games, if I snatch them up and trade them in today I'm paying around $20 for Okami out of pocket for $40 + worth of credit. Even if it does bomb in price I only paid $20.[/QUOTE]

Followed my own advice... got six games at K-Mart for $20 and traded them all in to EB for $54.

Since it only took $40 to pay off Okami, it cost me roughly $15 in real cash. I'm pretty stoked.

They didn't have the art boards in yet, they said they'll come in tommorrow with the game.

It's a no-go in NYC today (at least at the EBGames I called in Rock Center). The guy said tomorrow definitely though.

I'm gonna rent it, after playing the demo, I'm a bit disapointed. I was expecting a very mythological, minorly historical game... and what I got was an irritating thing bouncing on the wolf's head talking Ghetto.

Sorry, but the creatures saying shit like "ill" or "Fresh" ruins the game for me.

920500_20060918_screen010.jpg

And "Rumble" we shall.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I'm gonna rent it, after playing the demo, I'm a bit disapointed. I was expecting a very mythological, minorly historical game... and what I got was an irritating thing bouncing on the wolf's head talking Ghetto.

Sorry, but the creatures saying shit like "ill" or "Fresh" ruins the game for me.

920500_20060918_screen010.jpg

And "Rumble" we shall.[/QUOTE]

Damn mooky, that's pretty ill, yo. We may have to rumble.

That pic, however, is quite fresh.

edit: almost 1000 views....do I get comission for this shit or what? :roll: :p

[quote name='Apossum']some places will get it if they're close to a distribution center.[/QUOTE]
I doubt even that. I've heard this "close to the distrobution center" rumor a lot over the years and never seen a shred of proof on it. Which makes sense since it doesn't matter how close you are to someone, shipping takes the same amount of time. Someone could live next door to me, and if I ship a package using, lets say, 2 day shipping then it's going to take the same amount of time to reach them as it would to reach someone across the country.

Unless the game is published by Nintendo (which ships their games on Mondays) or it's a big title (Halo, Final Fantasy etc.) then it comes out on a Wednesday. Very few exceptions here. The only ones I can think of are the odd game that comes out on like a Friday (Shadow Hearts Covenant did this and even then it still came out the day after the ship date) and tie-ins like Lego Star Wars 2, which we received a week early so it could release with the new DVDs.

[quote name='Roufuss']Followed my own advice... got six games at K-Mart for $20 and traded them all in to EB for $54.

Since it only took $40 to pay off Okami, it cost me roughly $15 in real cash. I'm pretty stoked.

They didn't have the art boards in yet, they said they'll come in tommorrow with the game.[/quote]
What games did you pick up? That sounds like a damn fine idea that I might consider. I live nearby a KMart that is always filled with old ass games.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']What games did you pick up? That sounds like a damn fine idea that I might consider. I live nearby a KMart that is always filled with old ass games.[/QUOTE]

PM'ed you.

This way, even if Okami does drop to $10 - $20, I didn't pay full price for it so I won't get burned.

Nothing at the EBgames on Tylersville in Westchester. I didn't check the others since that's where I preordered it. I was also told the preorder gifts may or may not be arriving tomorrow with the game since they are in a seperate shipment.

I rarely get games on release dates, but I'm snagging this one tomorrow with store credit. Once I heard "40 hours" and "Zelda-like" in the same sentence, I was stoked. The reviews have been very impressive thus far; it's been a while since a game came along and achieved this level of acclaim. Unfortunately, I won't have a chance to play it until Friday night.

Do the art boards come with pre-orders from EB? I preordered the game yesterday from EB and didn't hear anything about that, but if it would be cool if I got one. So what's the deal with them anyway?

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Do the art boards come with pre-orders from EB? I preordered the game yesterday from EB and didn't hear anything about that, but if it would be cool if I got one. So what's the deal with them anyway?[/QUOTE]

Yea, some people got them early, but more than likely they will come in with the game. Make sure to ask for the art board though when you pick up the game in case they "forget" to give you one.

[quote name='Roufuss']Yea, some people got them early, but more than likely they will come in with the game. Make sure to ask for the art board though when you pick up the game in case they "forget" to give you one.[/QUOTE]

Is the receipt supposed to say something about the art board on it, 'cuz mine doesn't. I tried looking it up online, but it doesn't mention the art board, since it is no longer a pre-order, but rather just an order. I'm just worried that if I bring up the art board they may not know what I'm talking about, or I may have ordered it too late. I don't really care too much about it, but it sounds kinda nice for a freebie.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Is the receipt supposed to say something about the art board on it, 'cuz mine doesn't. I tried looking it up online, but it doesn't mention the art board, since it is no longer a pre-order, but rather just an order. I'm just worried that if I bring up the art board they may not know what I'm talking about, or I may have ordered it too late. I don't really care too much about it, but it sounds kinda nice for a freebie.[/QUOTE]
The receipt won't have any info on the art board...

Just ask when you pick up the game tomorrow. At my GS we have a drawer we keep all preorder stuff in, so I'm going to assume most of them have a place where they put that stuff. So even if they don't know about it, just let them know what it is and they can look for it.

I got the artboard today. The Okami logo is sooooo bad looking. It looks like they resized a thumbnail to fit a larger space, so it's horribly pixelated and suffers from numerous compression artifacts.

The casing and packaging is quite nice, though.
I'm just worried that if I bring up the art board they may not know what I'm talking about, or I may have ordered it too late.
Rei is right, there is no marking as the promotional goods like the art board are pretty much free (which means at my GameStop the employees often take them without even buying the game). Unfortunately, the promo item is also "while supplies" last so there's no guarantee.

tomorrow for me, I assume.. I'll have to take a break from work to go pick it up.. then it will stare me down for the rest of the day inside my cubicle >.>

bread's done
Back