the OFFICIAL Okami thread

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Being gamers you'd think you would know that the game would come out on a Wednesday.[/quote]Well, considering I rarely preorder or buy anything on day one, I was skeptical but hopeful I'd have it today.

doing extra work till late night tonight just to play more tomorrow. :)

considering skipping my Zoology lecture tomorrow....but I just skipped last Friday....argh.

The automated call today said tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon.. maybe I should wait until after work to go pick it up..

I'm glad I got a job, but the timing was rather bad with this game coming this week and VP 2 coming out next :lol:

[quote name='Robobandit']The automated call today said tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon.. maybe I should wait until after work to go pick it up..
[/QUOTE]

I think they just say that to cover their ass... the girl told me today that by the time the store opens, the games are already there from UPS, but it'll be noon at the latest.

So I either pick up my games at 10 am on my school break, or noon after school... either way works great :D

[quote name='Roufuss']I think they just say that to cover their ass... the girl told me today that by the time the store opens, the games are already there from UPS, but it'll be noon at the latest.

So I either pick up my games at 10 am on my school break, or noon after school... either way works great :D[/QUOTE]

It depends on where the EB is located. The girl at mine told me around 1-2 p.m. and that sounds about right as I remember picking up Shadow of the Colossus as soon as it came out at about 1:40. But hey, you might get lucky and get your game a couple hours early.

Man, I seriously don't think I've ever been this excited for a game ever, and I'm not one to use hyperbole. The only game that even came close with me was Riven back in the day. 17 more hours... 16 hours 59 minutes...

but ice cream cakes!!!!

i should go to bed. it's gonna be hard putting this down after only an hour of play tomorrow night (that's about what I get these days)

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I doubt even that. I've heard this "close to the distrobution center" rumor a lot over the years and never seen a shred of proof on it. Which makes sense since it doesn't matter how close you are to someone, shipping takes the same amount of time. Someone could live next door to me, and if I ship a package using, lets say, 2 day shipping then it's going to take the same amount of time to reach them as it would to reach someone across the country.[/QUOTE]

Actually, when I was doing the Amazon Prime Trial, all of my books I bought with 2-day shipping arrived in 1 day. I probably live close to the distribution center.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']It depends on where the EB is located. The girl at mine told me around 1-2 p.m. and that sounds about right as I remember picking up Shadow of the Colossus as soon as it came out at about 1:40. But hey, you might get lucky and get your game a couple hours early.

Man, I seriously don't think I've ever been this excited for a game ever, and I'm not one to use hyperbole. The only game that even came close with me was Riven back in the day. 17 more hours... 16 hours 59 minutes...[/QUOTE]

My Okami was there as soon as the store opened... picked it up at like 10:05 am EST. Got it and the art board, which is pretty decent for a preorder bonus.

getting mine after class....

hopefully I'll get some time in tonight. too bad all my professors in my morning classes just dropped a couple of bombs on me... I should start a "whine about school" thread.

[quote name='Apossum']getting mine after class....

hopefully I'll get some time in tonight. too bad all my professors in my morning classes just dropped a couple of bombs on me... I should start a "whine about school" thread.[/QUOTE]
Most definately, start it so I can whine with you :lol:

Photo0024.jpg

Closed buddha board and back of cases
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/FuzzyShots/Photo0022.jpg
Open buddah board
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/FuzzyShots/Photo0023.jpg
Okami and Capcom Sleeve for Buddah Board
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/FuzzyShots/Photo0021.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/FuzzyShots/Photo0024.jpg

Let's theorize about the Standard/LCD TV setting and discover what it does and who should do it.

Copied from my topic about this from GameFAQs:

I just tried changing it in game, and I might have an idea, though please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it compensates for LCD's lack of contrast and makes the whites whiter. Going back and forth between the two settings, that's what seems to be happening. I've also played it on a standard (CRT) TV and noticed that it appears brighter than on the DLP. I have my two TVs settings set fairly similar so that's not the cause.

So I think that any non-standard TV that suffers any degredation of contrast should enable the LCD setting.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong about any of this since I'm pretty much guessing.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Let's theorize about the Standard/LCD TV setting and discover what it does and who should do it.

Copied from my topic about this from GameFAQs:

I just tried changing it in game, and I might have an idea, though please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it compensates for LCD's lack of contrast and makes the whites whiter. Going back and forth between the two settings, that's what seems to be happening. I've also played it on a standard (CRT) TV and noticed that it appears brighter than on the DLP. I have my two TVs settings set fairly similar so that's not the cause.

So I think that any non-standard TV that suffers any degredation of contrast should enable the LCD setting.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong about any of this since I'm pretty much guessing.[/QUOTE]

This is actually interesting there is a feature like that... I have an LCD so I'll experiment with it tonight and let you know, but thanks for the heads up, I definitely appreciate it.

It's alot better than someone quoting a big ass image and just going "hi", at least.

[quote name='Roufuss']
It's alot better than someone quoting a big ass image and just going "hi", at least.[/quote]
Lol. I really just wanted to show off the board.

So I put an hour into the game. OMG THEY TALK FOREVER in the begining.

So from page 6 onward it's gonna be spoiler time!

I think it could have used voices or at least make em like in Panzer Dragoon or Klonoa cause it gets annoying to hear that animal crossing gibberish 5 mins straight (and conversations in AC are usually brief). Beating the monsters was easy as pie. Too easy infact. Make sure you all talk to that dude at like the town gate for a neat-o challenge.

I think it would be better if Issun could talk to you while you still move around instead of the game having to stop so much. Running around as a wolf is just too much fun. Right now I'm in the village and I just got through digging up all the turnips. Now on to finding a pole for the Mrs. Orange and talking to that lazy bum Sasano. After work that is...

[quote name='Roufuss']This is actually interesting there is a feature like that... I have an LCD so I'll experiment with it tonight and let you know, but thanks for the heads up, I definitely appreciate it.

It's alot better than someone quoting a big ass image and just going "hi", at least.[/quote]Playing with it a bit more, I'm pretty sure it's not a straight up contrast boost. I think it just "blooms" more, as in bloom lighting. The overall contrast isn't higher, but anything that bloomed before blooms brighter. I'd say it's for any TV that isn't a CRT, because it looks tons better on my DLP.

fuck!!!!!

there was a problem with the shipment and my EB didn't get it today. they said "maybe later today, maybe tomorrow." No buddha boards yet, either. I'll totally go the ebay route for the board if I have to.

anyone have this problem

when you restore the very first village, after cutting the fruit down. the cut scene it was really choppy and i couldnt with the video and the music. it kind of ruined it.

so yeah, did anyone have this, i want to if its just my copy or if its just some bad programming.

I'd say it's probably your PS2. If I'm not mistaken, that specific scene was an FMV, so maybe your PS2 is on it's last leg and had trouble reading it fast enough.

fuck!! No copies left at the EB in Rock Center. I picked up Lego Star Wars II for 360 instead. The manager was shocked and said that they sold a ton more than they anticipated which bodes well for the game in general.

WOO! my eb just called me and I went and got it.

got the ONLY Buddha Board as well :D \\:D/

[quote name='Z-Saber']I'd say it's probably your PS2. If I'm not mistaken, that specific scene was an FMV, so maybe your PS2 is on it's last leg and had trouble reading it fast enough.[/QUOTE]

i didnt think it was my ps2 because its a new slim one thats never had any problems

[quote name='javeryh']fuck!! No copies left at the EB in Rock Center. I picked up Lego Star Wars II for 360 instead. The manager was shocked and said that they sold a ton more than they anticipated which bodes well for the game in general.[/QUOTE]

i knew this was going to be one of those games, that nobody reserved and people wanted, all the gs/eb are sold out now. i reserved mine.

wow... I have a hard time beleiving I'm saying this, but Zelda has nothing on this game. I've barely played it already and every aspect of it is so damn rewarding. Plus, this just shouldnt be possible on the PS2... the game just looks too good.

Just got home with the game. I'll start in very shortly, but I'm taking a break to catch my breath and dry off, as I had to walk a mile each way in the rain to pick up my copy. I'm sure it'll be totally worth it though. I also got the Buddha board without even asking for it, which was nice.

Just picked up the game at Best Buy. I didn't want to drive out there, but EB had only pre-order copies and TRU didn't get theirs in yet.

The wait is finally over. Yes.

[quote name='iheartmetal']i didnt think it was my ps2 because its a new slim one thats never had any problems[/quote]Well, the next two FMVs happen when you restore the next two trees, so if it screws up there, your problem is the FMVs and I doubt it's the disc, but take it back and get another one if you think that's it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']wow... I have a hard time beleiving I'm saying this, but Zelda has nothing on this game. I've barely played it already and every aspect of it is so damn rewarding. Plus, this just shouldnt be possible on the PS2... the game just looks too good.[/quote]

Them talking like they do isn't rewarding lol.

I never played Wind Waker or any 3D Zeldas so I can't make the comparisons. I know that I do like this game and the amount of crap in it seems almost daunting.

I smell another franchise. I'd like to see what would happen if they went the realistic route on the PS3 or 360.

[quote name='Foolman']It feels like you get brush techniques really fast. Might even get them all before getting to the halfway point.[/QUOTE]

you get them through the whole game according to the 1up review.

[quote name='FurryCurry']
I smell another franchise. I'd like to see what would happen if they went the realistic route on the PS3 or 360.[/QUOTE]

I think the realism would kill it. The less real, more abstract the better.
Enjoying it very much but pissed because I have to finish a load of homework art peices and I'll be gone from home all day tommorow :(

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']wow... I have a hard time beleiving I'm saying this, but Zelda has nothing on this game. I've barely played it already and every aspect of it is so damn rewarding. Plus, this just shouldnt be possible on the PS2... the game just looks too good.[/QUOTE]

i dont know if id go that far.... yet... im about 5 hours in and its very fun though, so well see when all is said and done

[quote name='Z-Saber']Well, the next two FMVs happen when you restore the next two trees, so if it screws up there, your problem is the FMVs and I doubt it's the disc, but take it back and get another one if you think that's it.[/QUOTE]

the fmvs afterwords have been fine, so i think it was just a fluke.

[quote name='iheartmetal']i dont know if id go that far.... yet... im about 5 hours in and its very fun though, so well see when all is said and done

the fmvs afterwords have been fine, so i think it was just a fluke.[/QUOTE]

even after 5 hours I still say it's better.

I got the chpy FMV as well, but so far all is good.

Very beautifully done and definately worth the money. I also get a stutter at the beginning of the FMV but it doesn't ruin the game. It's for a split second then it's gone.

Something tells me that little companion is a pervert.

[quote name='musicnoteless']

Something tells me that little companion is a pervert.[/QUOTE]

I've already noticed some pervy stuff... saskua... whatever... that tree chick has her dress and bikini bra setup to make her breasts look like a peach...

decided to shirk some duties and play this.

The first two hours have been some of my favorite gaming ever...I've already played through these parts from a DLed J-version, but the localization is really well done. they don't say "ill" or whatever anymore, thankfully.

and I haven't had any stuttering FMV. sucks that's happening-- the parts where life goes back into the world are the best!

Anyone catch the Akuma "raging demon" reference? go help out the old lady whose washing clothes in the town (draw a drying stick, then the sun) and then visit her at night. It's awesome :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']
Anyone catch the Akuma "raging demon" reference? go help out the old lady whose washing clothes in the town (draw a drying stick, then the sun) and then visit her at night. It's awesome :lol:[/QUOTE]

I noticed something... I'll have to go back and see since I was just letting Ammy sit still while I stare at the wind with my eyes bleeding... I'm still surprised at how much I enjoy watching the subtle envionrment effects and detail. I still gawk when I feed animals. These are the reasons why I still haev faith in gaming.

probably what Killer 7 did for me in terms of gaming plots was amazing, and okami is on that same level but graphicly.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']wow... I have a hard time beleiving I'm saying this, but Zelda has nothing on this game. I've barely played it already and every aspect of it is so damn rewarding. Plus, this just shouldnt be possible on the PS2... the game just looks too good.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Though I already felt that Beyond Good & Evil was more consistantly enjoyable than the Wind Waker, Okami takes it to the next level. The Zelda games are good, but some of the staples of that series have gotten irritating, like having to play your instrument all the time and then watch a short cutscene (which got unbearable near the end of the Wind Waker where you had to play a song just to change direction when sailing). Okami's paint brush is far more quick-paced and intuitive. During combat it kind of reminds me of Viewtiful Joe's slow-mo where you get to pause the game to deliver a fatal blow. Fun stuff!

I think this game also has a one-up on Zelda in that your character just controls better. She runs super-fast and can jump. Link always felt a little slow and too grounded in his 3D outings. Otherwise this game steals mercilessly from Zelda, but I don't mind at all, since it's finally making the changes I've always wanted Zelda to make.

I also kind of like that it's an original game, so that I'm not always sure what some of these secret items I've been finding will do. I had extraordinarily high expectations for this game, and after 4 hours, it doesn't dissapoint.

Woo hoo! Did the trade 3 for extra $10 deal @GS and used the credit towards this game. They also had extra pre-order bonus kits, so got one of those as well.

[quote name='gunm']Woo hoo! Did the trade 3 for extra $10 deal @GS and used the credit towards this game. They also had extra pre-order bonus kits, so got one of those as well.[/quote]
How was the preorder bonus gift? Any good?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I've already noticed some pervy stuff... saskua... whatever... that tree chick has her dress and bikini bra setup to make her breasts look like a peach...[/quote]Umm... did you notice her completely visible and uncensored ASS?

[quote name='Apossum']Anyone catch the Akuma "raging demon" reference? go help out the old lady whose washing clothes in the town (draw a drying stick, then the sun) and then visit her at night. It's awesome :lol:[/quote]The sensei guy at the dojo does the whole Viewtiful Joe thing.

bread's done
Back