The Official PC Topic for TES IV: Oblivion

[quote name='Lice']Hmm, Whats the FSB on the processor?

For the guys running it now, Is one gig cutting it or would you reccomend Two gigs?

Also a random question: I dont have a 360 but i have an HD tv. Whats the process of getting the video out to run on the HD Tv? I have done it on my old analog tv, but Im not sure if the HD would change everything which im sure it would. And would that even run well, Being the Tvs resolutions are higher.

I was thinking of getting that adapter so that a 360 controller would work with the computer.[/QUOTE]

I just upgraded my PC to one gig and I'm running it fine. I turned it down to 800x600 resolution but the game still looks nice. I don't have very many slowdowns. The only thing I hope to be able to up is the draw distance because you can see stuff getting drawn on only about 15 feet in front of my guy.

[quote name='Moxio']I did also. The quest is so dumb and it takes many hours to complete - all while you can't travel during the DAY, which is absolutely horrid.[/quote]

I love that quest and I am gonna stay a vampire. All you gotta do is feed every couple of days and then light doesn't hurt you. I mean you get all these bonuses that increase as you get more hungry. At the lowest they still add enough to make the whole thing worth it. Just feed on beggar since they are every where.

Also, on the Thieves Guild quest where you have to find they Arrow thing. Did any of you also find the giant fish? That fish is SO HUGE! I thought it was a glitch that it was down so deep but nope, just a giant fish.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I'm stuck on a stupid quets where you have to find this missing painting in the Chorrol Castle. I know what's up. There's this one lady whpo took it.

1) She told me she hated the ainting (Motive)
2) She lied about her whereabouts that night. (She said she was Stargazing when it was rainign out.)
3) I found a painting where she was hanging out a lot.
4) And then painting gear hidden in her room. So she's obviously an artist. But I don't know why she's hiding it. or why she bears a grudge.

Anyway, now I'm stuck. And I don't want to move on until I solve this. I''ve searched every section of the castle, talked to everyone, I'm now down to searching for secret compartments.

Anywya, iof anyone has done this quest, a hint would be appreciated on what I do next.[/QUOTE]

Check the Dining Hall floor. Took me forever to find the last clue. fucking retarded.

Would anyone happen to have handy a list of houses to buy in each city along with their prices?

I want to get whichever one is closest to 4K.

zoidberg.jpg

Look! Its Zoidberg! Homeowner!

[quote name='CorporalJackson']also My game lags like crazy in battles and whne ride my pony My pc specs are
1 gig of ram p4 3.0 ghz and a x300 SE 128mb video card my setting are on the lowest[/quote]

that x300 SE (shitty edition) is definitely holding you back. Your 3.0ghz and 1gb of ram are fine, but that card is god awful.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Would anyone happen to have handy a list of houses to buy in each city along with their prices?

I want to get whichever one is closest to 4K.

zoidberg.jpg

[/quote]

Buy the manor in Anvil! It's 5k and it is haunted. After you unhaunt it's a very nice looking house. And very big, it also come furnished so you do not have to go and buy stuff.

[quote name='Robobandit']that x300 SE (shitty edition) is definitely holding you back. Your 3.0ghz and 1gb of ram are fine, but that card is god awful.[/quote]
Any reccomeded cards that are under 150?

Under 150? No. If you're going to get a new card, get a 6800 at the absolute very least... I don't think those are under 150... at least they weren't last time I checked.

[quote name='Lice']Note that card is PCI express.... If your running AGP now then its a no go.

Here are some AGp cards that are decent at your price range... I have no experience with some of those companys so educate yourself about them before you buy

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010380048+4017+1067909573&srchInDesc=agp&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=48[/quote]

I was actually considering getting that Asus card. I've been told by some people on the Oblivion message board that it's actually a really good card and that with some quick and easy overclocking, it runs Oblivion really well. Add that in with the fact it's only $169, and I'm almost sold.

Woah check that card out at 512 mb of ram on it for a nice price... Im going to research this card a bit... ill report my findings...

Woah check that card out at 512 mb of ram on it for a nice price... Im going to research this card a bit... ill report my findings...

ASUS Geforce 6800 N6800

Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA
GPU Geforce 6800
Core clock 350MHz
PixelPipelines 12
Memory Clock 540MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type GDDR2
3D API DirectX DirectX 9
[FONT=&quot]OpenGL[/FONT][FONT=&quot] OpenGL 1.5

Cardspeeds.jpg

[/FONT]Ok so check out the comparisons. You can see they put in some really slow Memory in it. 540 mhz. I wonder why they went that slow. That mixed with the 12 pipelines doesnt make me so hot and botherd over this card as much. The 512 is nice, but the differnce is going to be negligible. My guess is this card will clock around if not a tad lower that a regular 6800. The 512 gets you all excited like, the cheap price makes you question it, and the specs make you say aha!
But none the less this card could most definately be over clocked. Unlock the other 4 pipelines which are on it but not open. Over clock the memory to the normal speeds and you should have a nice little card with a good price. I would maybe think of putting on a fan thats better for removing heart off the cards if your going to OC it all.

You know if I had to buy a new card and was on a budget i would definately consider this path...

I can't stop playing this game. I hated MorrowWind because all you did was walk for an hour to the quest and kill 1 enemy on the way and then do the quest and spend an hour walking back.

The fast move system and horses make things a lot more fun. You get to the action right away. However, I'm like level 14 and the dynamic NPC leveling is starting to kick my ass. If I get caught by 3 or more mobs I get raped. Stupid me though, I took heavy armor as a major skill and I'm running around wearing the Black Hand robes... stupid +11 bonuses.

I don't really get alchemy. I know you're supposed to mix crap to make potions, but where do you get recipies? What are the amblic, mortar and retorts for? Do they all do the same thing?

Soul collecting is kinda hazy for me too. Do gems fill up in one shot or is it cumulative? Like I've got a Grand Gem that says its current level is common, if I capture more will it raise the level or is it a one shot deal?

At least the normal monsters stop scaling at a certain point. Only 5 or so creatures/people in the game will continue to scale to the player's level. (I'm sure the final boss is one of them hehe)

[quote name='Kayden']I can't stop playing this game. I hated MorrowWind because all you did was walk for an hour to the quest and kill 1 enemy on the way and then do the quest and spend an hour walking back.

The fast move system and horses make things a lot more fun. You get to the action right away. However, I'm like level 14 and the dynamic NPC leveling is starting to kick my ass. If I get caught by 3 or more mobs I get raped. Stupid me though, I took heavy armor as a major skill and I'm running around wearing the Black Hand robes... stupid +11 bonuses.

I don't really get alchemy. I know you're supposed to mix crap to make potions, but where do you get recipies? What are the amblic, mortar and retorts for? Do they all do the same thing?

Soul collecting is kinda hazy for me too. Do gems fill up in one shot or is it cumulative? Like I've got a Grand Gem that says its current level is common, if I capture more will it raise the level or is it a one shot deal?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's a problem.

Look, I think Oblivion is a greta game. But it does have some problems that the reviews seem to overlook. There are the bugs with the AI. The dynamic mobs can be screwy. There's no recepie book for Alchemy. Poor explanations for some things. Not everything shows up on the maps like shrine.

I think the game is greta but it does have some issues.

Going back to the soul gems, I have yet to find a mage that actually sells the soul collecting spell. So I haven't tested it out in practice. But from my understanding, you cats the spell. Then you have the soul gems in your backpack. the spell lasts for say, 30 seconds. If you kill your enemy in that time, your gems fills with the soul of that enemy. More powerful enemies need more powerful soul gems. Then you can use the gems to recharge weapons.

That's my understanding, but I haven't actually done it yet.

[quote name='Kayden']

Soul collecting is kinda hazy for me too. Do gems fill up in one shot or is it cumulative? Like I've got a Grand Gem that says its current level is common, if I capture more will it raise the level or is it a one shot deal?[/quote]
Click on a alchemy creating object(Mortar and Pestle, Amblic, Retorts, ????forgot????). Then it will be a screen with 4 slots. Pick an item and you will see several of the 4 attributes it has(you can see more as you increase in level). Then add another item, when they attributes match you can make a potion. No recipes required. It is explained better in the manual.

Soul gems can get charged only once. To add more souls you need to get an empty gem.

I know the "how will it run on my pc" has been asked a lot, and I didnt bother to check if there was a similar system posted....anyways, I have:

512 mb Ram
ATI Radeon 9600xt
AMD running at 2.1ghz

So...would it be playable for me?

[quote name='dtarasev']Click on a alchemy creating object(Mortar and Pestle, Amblic, Retorts, ????forgot????). Then it will be a screen with 4 slots. Pick an item and you will see several of the 4 attributes it has(you can see more as you increase in level). Then add another item, when they attributes match you can make a potion. No recipes required. It is explained better in the manual.

Soul gems can get charged only once. To add more souls you need to get an empty gem.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but how are you to remember what does what? For exaple, I know bonemeal mixes with mort flesh to create a damage poison. That's from memory. But unless you have them in your inventory, you don't know.

They should have some journal entry that says something like X+Y=Z and the base ability or attribute of each type of herb you discover.

if you had that listing, it would be much easier to actually go out and get what you wanted while discarding what you're not interested in.

[quote name='Chacrana']Nope. I seriously doubt there's anyway it'd be playable let alone enjoyable.[/QUOTE]
What would I need to upgrade? Just more ram or the video card as well?
I can pretty much play any game right now fine (I can even play FEAR on high...) but anyways...what would I need to upgrade?

[quote name='whoknows']What would I need to upgrade? Just more ram or the video card as well?
I can pretty much play any game right now fine (I can even play FEAR on high...) but anyways...what would I need to upgrade?[/quote]

I dont know if this helps,

But I have a Radeon 9800
and a gig of Ram and the game runs great. Is the 9600 a big differance from the 9800

The 9600 is about a generation away from the 9800 IIRC... I wouldn't chance it.

whoknows -- I'd get more RAM and I'd get a 6800GS or something. That should be sufficient for running the game well on medium settings (so it'll look about as good... maybe not quite as good as the 360 version.)

The soul capture spell is sold by an NPC (I don't know the town, but I'm pretty sure its the Guild of Mysticism- look it up in the Mages Guild Charter) and you can also get a staff with the soul capture spell on it by joining the Mages Guild. You can also use soul gems for enchanting.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']
Going back to the soul gems, I have yet to find a mage that actually sells the soul collecting spell. So I haven't tested it out in practice. But from my understanding, you cats the spell. Then you have the soul gems in your backpack. the spell lasts for say, 30 seconds. If you kill your enemy in that time, your gems fills with the soul of that enemy. More powerful enemies need more powerful soul gems. Then you can use the gems to recharge weapons.

That's my understanding, but I haven't actually done it yet.[/quote]
The 9600 is the midrange of last gen and the 9800 is upperrange of last gen, there is a difference between the two but they still get smoked by the current midrange cards.

[quote name='markholladay']I dont know if this helps,

But I have a Radeon 9800
and a gig of Ram and the game runs great. Is the 9600 a big differance from the 9800[/quote]

So theres no difference between the contraptions?

For soul gems- How do you know how good a soul is? I haven't been able to capture a human soul (says no gem big enough) but I just got some black soul gems that I'm betting may work. Is there anyway to keep from getting a crappy soul in a good gem? I have a Grand gem that contains a 'petty' soul =(. Additionally- I have a Daedric soulgem that I got from the daedroth you summon from the main quest... is that special beyond being able to use it for the story line?

[quote name='dtarasev']Click on a alchemy creating object(Mortar and Pestle, Amblic, Retorts, ????forgot????). Then it will be a screen with 4 slots. Pick an item and you will see several of the 4 attributes it has(you can see more as you increase in level). Then add another item, when they attributes match you can make a potion. No recipes required. It is explained better in the manual.

Soul gems can get charged only once. To add more souls you need to get an empty gem.[/quote]

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']
They should have some journal entry that says something like X+Y=Z and the base ability or attribute of each type of herb you discover.

if you had that listing, it would be much easier to actually go out and get what you wanted while discarding what you're not interested in.[/quote]

Yes, a system where when you make a potion it is added to a list. Then you can click on the list to make that potion anytime as long as you have the proper items. Although I doubt that we will see this implemented by the patches I think that we can rely on the mod community to fix things like this. I would post around some modding forums somewhere and ask for this, it would be a great mod.

[quote name='Kayden']The soul capture spell is sold by an NPC (I don't know the town, but I'm pretty sure its the Guild of Mysticism- look it up in the Mages Guild Charter) and you can also get a staff with the soul capture spell on it by joining the Mages Guild. You can also use soul gems for enchanting.

[/QUOTE]

Dreja, ground floor of the Mages Guild in Skingrad. Left side.

I'm kind of surprised to hear how many PC gamers still only have 512 MB of RAM in their computers. I can barely get a satisfying Windows experience out of a 512 computer, much less play a game on one.

I'm not ragging on anyone, I understand that RAM is still ridiculously expensive.

Actually, ram is the cheapest its ever been per MB. Back in the day I paid like $200 for 16MB. Before then you could pay that much for 2MB! Last December I paid $200 for 2000MB.

[quote name='Vegan']I'm kind of surprised to hear how many PC gamers still only have 512 MB of RAM in their computers. I can barely get a satisfying Windows experience out of a 512 computer, much less play a game on one.

I'm not ragging on anyone, I understand that RAM is still ridiculously expensive.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']The soul capture spell is sold by an NPC (I don't know the town, but I'm pretty sure its the Guild of Mysticism- look it up in the Mages Guild Charter) and you can also get a staff with the soul capture spell on it by joining the Mages Guild. You can also use soul gems for enchanting. [/quote]

Right. He's in the town west of Chorrol between there and Anvil. Starts with an 'S' and has that paranoid guy. I literally found him last night after I made my post.

My problem now is that I've been to four towns. Yet I haven't found a single novice Mysticism or Conjuration spell. I've found novice alteration spells. But without any novice Myst or Conj spells I can't even practice to improve my skill to apprentice and use more spells. I have to train. Which I find very, very, very annoying sicne I'd rather not spend money training something so easily practiced. I can't believe they don't have any, but I can't find them.

Also, can someoen explain to me the diffrence between "Charge" and uses?" Aren't they basically the same thing?

[quote name='Kayden']
For soul gems- How do you know how good a soul is? I haven't been able to capture a human soul (says no gem big enough) but I just got some black soul gems that I'm betting may work. Is there anyway to keep from getting a crappy soul in a good gem? I have a Grand gem that contains a 'petty' soul =(. Additionally- I have a Daedric soulgem that I got from the daedroth you summon from the main quest... is that special beyond being able to use it for the story line?[/QUOTE]

Maybe you can fill a gem. For example, maybe you can collect a bunch of petty souls to fill a grand gem. I'm assuming no if you can only fill one gem with one sould as mentioned by a previous poster. But that sucks if you're wasting expensive and grand soul gems on goblins and other weak monetsers. Even if you have petty soul gems available in your pack.

I would think that it would fill your smallest gems first. Maybe you just didn't have any more room, activated the spell, and it just filled the gem.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Also, can someoen explain to me the diffrence between "Charge" and uses?" Aren't they basically the same thing?[/quote]

Soul gems can be used to recharge your magical equipment, and depending on the level of the soul, it will recharge a different amount. The Uses shows how many times you can use it, obviously -- but for higher powered enchantments, you'll get a lower amount of uses out of the same amount of charge in an item.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Right. He's in the town west of Chorrol between there and Anvil. Starts with an 'S' and has that paranoid guy. I literally found him last night after I made my post.

My problem now is that I've been to four towns. Yet I haven't found a single novice Mysticism or Conjuration spell. I've found novice alteration spells. But without any novice Myst or Conj spells I can't even practice to improve my skill to apprentice and use more spells. I have to train. Which I find very, very, very annoying sicne I'd rather not spend money training something so easily practiced. I can't believe they don't have any, but I can't find them.

Also, can someoen explain to me the diffrence between "Charge" and uses?" Aren't they basically the same thing?[/quote]

Each towns mager guild sells different spells, basically every guild has a different spell type. Some times they slightly cross with some spells but the major in one type.

Charge is jsut charge. Say an item has a 1000 charge. It may have abilites that are either on hit or on use. They also have different costs so an ability that costs 100 will have 10 uses.

[quote name='dtarasev']Each towns mager guild sells different spells, basically every guild has a different spell type. Some times they slightly cross with some spells but the major in one type.

Charge is jsut charge. Say an item has a 1000 charge. It may have abilites that are either on hit or on use. They also have different costs so an ability that costs 100 will have 10 uses.[/QUOTE]

I've been to the conjurere, mysticism, alteration, and destruction towns. I haven't found a minor spell in either of those two types I posted about earlier.

I may have more lcuk in the capital. but I've been laying low. It might not be a good idea to hang out in the same city where I witnessed the emperor get killed by a cult.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Maybe you can fill a gem. For example, maybe you can collect a bunch of petty souls to fill a grand gem. I'm assuming no if you can only fill one gem with one sould as mentioned by a previous poster. But that sucks if you're wasting expensive and grand soul gems on goblins and other weak monetsers. Even if you have petty soul gems available in your pack.

I would think that it would fill your smallest gems first. Maybe you just didn't have any more room, activated the spell, and it just filled the gem.[/quote]

I have a bout 50lbs of soul gems. I steal them every chance I get. :lol:

I had several dozen gems before I even got the soul trap spell.

I think the petty greats where gems I found like that. :whistle2:\

Anyone else hate trying to pick a lock? It says click when the tumbler is at the top and I do and the pick still breaks. :bomb: Some times I can just click right though a very hard in one shot and other times I have to reload 14 times just to get an average.

Oh yea, Don't level until you use your training!
You can train 5 skills per level. They arent cumulative so use them up! Use them on minor skills you don't use a lot, but do use. I use lock picking magic but dont use any other alteration magic, so I use a lot of my training on alteration.

Btw, Is Glathair the paranoid half elf really onto something or is he just crazy.

It would be cool if he was actually onto something. But I haven't found anything and thats after following everyone. I did break into his house and stole his notes. Not to mention, the 800 gold he had hiddne in his waste basket! And I stole an item from the suille broths that enttles me to stuff for my house. When my ccursor went over it, the note was valed at 1600 gold. But in my inventory it just says zero.

The trick to lock picking is the speed of the tumbler. If the tunbler is fast, you gotta click right when it hits the top. if the tumbler is slow, you have to wait a split second. And tumblers in a lock have varying speeds.

I've actually gotten quite good at it.

Hes actually crazy. You can play along with his delusions and he asks you to kill them. At that point you can tell a guard or actually kill them for more money. Course... he only wants them dead because you say they're spying on him. If you say they aren't following him he behalves.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Btw, Is Glathair the paranoid half elf really onto something or is he just crazy.

It would be cool if he was actually onto something. But I haven't found anything and thats after following everyone. I did break into his house and stole his notes. Not to mention, the 800 gold he had hiddne in his waste basket! And I stole an item from the suille broths that enttles me to stuff for my house. When my ccursor went over it, the note was valed at 1600 gold. But in my inventory it just says zero.

The trick to lock picking is the speed of the tumbler. If the tunbler is fast, you gotta click right when it hits the top. if the tumbler is slow, you have to wait a split second. And tumblers in a lock have varying speeds.

I've actually gotten quite good at it.[/quote]

[quote name='CorporalJackson']Ghost attacked me lol and i have no silver swords[/quote]

I fought them off with my Daedric Longsword. Took me forever though. After you go through the quest to "fix" the manor it ends up looking really nice. One of if not the best looking house in the game.

Grrrrrr.... I snuck into a castle to steal a ring from a countess. I got past the gaurd no problem, but now hes just standing infront of the only damn exit and wont move. I'm tresspassing so I can't just hit wait. :wall:

:lol: In the Li... the far south L castle... there was an orc wearing a full set of ebony armor (cept the gloves) even a sword and sheild. I snuck up behind her to do a sneak attack and nailed her for 6x damage (my sword does 26 a hit normaly @_@-daedric longsword with fire enchantment) and she said 'hey, that hurt' and just stood there with about half her life. So I hit her again. "Ow, you hit me twice!" but the bitch was still alive! So I hit her a third time and as she was dying, she said "hit me one more time and I'll kill you." :lol: Additionally, I did this directly infront of the castle gaurd! No bounty or anything. I think they're racist and hate Orcs.
Oh, theres a quest I know a lot of you will like. Theres a daedroth shrine where you have to kill two village chiefs and make it look like they killed eachother and the two families maul each other. The coolest part is the reward; you get a staff that clones your target and makes the fight their double.

wait, you need silver weapons for ghosts? I've been stuck on several quests because I cant seem to significantly damage ghosts. I'll shoot a crap load of arrows or something, but I knew there had to be a better way.

How about Elven or Glass weapons?

Silver will work, as will Daedric or any magically bound weapons (which are Daedric anyways from the look of it). Elven and Glass from what I remember don't.

I got the game last week even though I wasn't sure whether it will run on a x300, but nevertherless, it ran at the lowest settings. ::lol::

Anyway, as for the ghosts, I just cast flare until I killed it. But it sounds like I should start looking for silver weapons. Anyone know where I can find one?

You have to be a certain level, I think it's around 6 or so before enemies will start carrying them. If you're lucky, a shop might also get some in stock when you're at or above this level.

bread's done
Back