The Official PC Topic for TES IV: Oblivion

Out of curiosity, for anyone who actually knows video cards, what do you think of these two cards as a band-aid for now to let me at least be able to play Oblvion around medium settings?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814121216

Any help? I don't wanna spend too much as I plan on eventually just getting a new computer (not for another year or two though), so I just need an AGP card that isn't expensive but can get me running Oblivion.

[quote name='karsh']Out of curiosity, for anyone who actually knows video cards, what do you think of these two cards as a band-aid for now to let me at least be able to play Oblvion around medium settings?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814121216

Any help? I don't wanna spend too much as I plan on eventually just getting a new computer (not for another year or two though), so I just need an AGP card that isn't expensive but can get me running Oblivion.[/quote]

Either will work fust fine, they would run it on medium just fine. I suggest the X1600 as it seems a bit better then the 6800.

My daedric longsword chops them up fairly quickly when the fire enchantment is charged, but when its not they take a lot more hits. I haven't actually used a silver weapon yet. The ebony sword you get from one of the daedra shrines with life steal chews them up. Arrows go right through ghosts I believe, that could be why they don't seem to hurt. :lol: Magical bows and arrows sting them well. Cept for cold, the stupid ghosts resist cold.

Far to the south practically due east of Leywin (?) theres the Shrine of Nocturnal, go there to get a quest where the reward is a skeleton key. Its a lockpick that doesn't break. I'm not sure, but I think it also raises your lockpicking skill.

The shrine of Hircine is South East of the Imperial City. The quest for that is killing a unicorn. The reward is crap, but that makes it good for the story line required daedric artifact. Also of note- the unicorn shows the horseshoe when you mouse over it. I was under attack from 2 minotaurs and a wisp at the time, so I couldn't try to get on him... but maybe...

When there are quests that send you into a fort, always look around for a second entrance. There have been two so far where I fought through an entire dungeon to get to someone only to find out that at the end of the dungeon theres a door that brings me out to the world right next to where I went in. The first one was for the Dark Brotherhood when you go to see the guy in the fort. The second was for a daedra shrine mission- I had to find an orb that a mage stole and fight through about 10 rooms of fire and ice atronotchs. :wall: I get to the end and find the mage sleeping. I grabbed the orb and there was a door that took me out 10 feet from the entrance I used- it was just under a bush. :roll: Use your close up map to double check for secondary routes.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']wait, you need silver weapons for ghosts? I've been stuck on several quests because I cant seem to significantly damage ghosts. I'll shoot a crap load of arrows or something, but I knew there had to be a better way.

How about Elven or Glass weapons?[/quote]

Damn, that is funny.

I wont be able to level though because I won't be able to attack anything and train my skills. I'll just let the unicorn get em.

Looks like I bought the last X1600 Pro OEM in stock at Newegg, as now they're out of stock after I bought mine. I really hope this lets me play Oblivion, as I'm craving it. Like I said, I was just looking for a Band-aid to help me get through a year to a year and a half, and hopefully this'll be it.

[quote name='karsh']Looks like I bought the last X1600 Pro OEM in stock at Newegg, as now they're out of stock after I bought mine. I really hope this lets me play Oblivion, as I'm craving it. Like I said, I was just looking for a Band-aid to help me get through a year to a year and a half, and hopefully this'll be it.[/QUOTE]

what kind of FSB do you have on your PC? I have a slightly slower processor than you (p4 2.4), but a lot of games get bottlenecked due to it (part of the reason I want to sell my card and build or buy a new system next year, depending on how much vista costs).

When you get everything up and running, if you could tell me how well the game runs it would be awesome.

Thanks

[quote name='CaseyRyback']what kind of FSB do you have on your PC? I have a slightly slower processor than you (p4 2.4), but a lot of games get bottlenecked due to it (part of the reason I want to sell my card and build or buy a new system next year, depending on how much vista costs).

When you get everything up and running, if you could tell me how well the game runs it would be awesome.

Thanks[/quote]

No prob. I'll let you know when I get it all set up. Right now, I have:

Front Side Bus Information :
FSB Frequency : 200.5 MHz
Bus Speed : 801.8 MHz (QDR)

And I'm getting about 10-15 FPS average. And that's with everything turned down. I do get spikes up in FPS, which is always nice, but it's very random. And I definitely also have textures just disappear when the spike happens, so I think that's cause of the video card.

I kinda thing the speech has to be somewhat computer generated. Either that or they have some damn good compression. I can't imagine them recording the same dialog with 4 or 5 different actors...
[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Is there any chance that the versions of this game that are being released in other regions of the world have different voice dubbing?[/quote]

They did record all of that voice work.. they weren't kidding when they said there were 50 hours of dialogue and that it fills half of the game disc.

The npc conversations are generated by an algorithm, I think.. but the voices were actually recorded. I do think the 4 or 5 actors and actresses are responsible for the majority of the voices.. with the three exceptions being Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean and Terence(spelling) Stamp. Lynda Carter (a.k.a. Wonder Woman) is responsible for a number of the voices (nord women, especially.. as she was in Morrowind)

The Quest in Burma from the countess is sweet. I highly recommend it. it's easy and gives good loot.

Two things. First, has anyone found a shopkeep that has thousands of gold available. SO far the best I;'ve found is 1200. I've got a couple magic items I want to sell worth thousands. But I haven't found anyone who can afford even 50% of theri value.

And speaking of value, I think there might be a bug with the merchant skill. When I first started the game, it was improving. I assume it improved every time I bought or sold items with haggling. Then, when around 18, I trained it up five times to 23. ever since then, it hasn't improved one bit. I can't get it top improve at all. I've tried adjusting my haggling. I've tried different shopkeepos. But it just won't go up anymore.

I can't figure out why I can't improve it, but it looks like I'm stuck on 23. Unless I train.

I think you have to raise its governing attribute then.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']
And speaking of value, I think there might be a bug with the merchant skill. When I first started the game, it was improving. I assume it improved every time I bought or sold items with haggling. Then, when around 18, I trained it up five times to 23. ever since then, it hasn't improved one bit. I can't get it top improve at all. I've tried adjusting my haggling. I've tried different shopkeepos. But it just won't go up anymore.

I can't figure out why I can't improve it, but it looks like I'm stuck on 23. Unless I train.[/quote]

I just hit 20 today! I'm the leader of the Mages guild, Dark brotherhood and Arena. I'm almost in charge of the theives guild and I'm just starting the warriors guild. I'm busy. :hot:

Anyone know where theres another Unicorn? I think I killed the only one. =(

I just got an awesome sheild too. +8 endurance and 30% damage reflection.

You have to unite the twins, get their house back, find the guy looking for them, kill ogres and return a sword to Chorrol Castle. Its like 7 different quests.

I got a staff that lets me ressurect people for 30 seconds under my control. :twisted:

Do weapons get stronger the more you use them? The sword I've been using since the begining of the game is now '21'. It started out at about 13. At first I thought it was just going up because of my blade skill raising, but I found another sword of the same type and it only does 13 damage. :whistle2:?

You can use it for your horse and it will wait for you outside of cities, though not as reliable as a horse that you paid for, he does show up fairly often.

Definitely don't draw a weapon around him, though :lol:

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']
Two things. First, has anyone found a shopkeep that has thousands of gold available. SO far the best I;'ve found is 1200. I've got a couple magic items I want to sell worth thousands. But I haven't found anyone who can afford even 50% of theri value.

[/quote]

I have not seen any one who has more then 1200 but I know that if you raise your merchantile skill it goes up, I do not know when though. And anyway I think 1200 is enough I sell daedric stuff all the time for partial value. So far I have raised over 80k. Which is more then enough considering they only thing you really gotta buy are houses. The rest you can just steal or make yourself.

Just downloaded the great distant terrain mod. So now it actually looks pretty while not hurting my performance that much.

[quote name='Toireht']Just downloaded the great distant terrain mod. So now it actually looks pretty while not hurting my performance that much.

[/quote]
Pretty....

...I first read your name as toilet...

[quote name='Kayden']I think you have to raise its governing attribute then.
[\QUOTE]

You know, it's tied ter personality and I've been raisingg that too. With my speechcraft.

The onky skill I have that will not raise no matter what is merhcnat. So all I do is train it. Which sucks. Because it's means thge best I can get is max 75.

I got that shield too. it's sweet. I also have a ring of magic resistance 10 that stacks with my Bennon resistance sop I'm up to 60%

And I have the most awesoime gauntlets. Gauntlets of life detection 65 feet. It lets you see all creatures within 65 feet even through walls by surrounding them with a pink mist. It'll allow you to find invisible creatures. Also, i think it tells you what scale of soul creatures habve. The stronger the soul, the brighter the aura.

I'm telling you, doo the quest from the countess in Burma. You geta ton of cool stuff.

man... i wound up downloading about 20 mods and tweaks... stupid site... tessource.com has a ton of stuff. there are a lot of balances that should have been common sense. Removing harvest plants, no psychic guards, etc. Theres even a cool one that adds a recall stone- place the stone, cast a spell, go to the stone. There are colored lamps you can buy to put in your home. EVEN A PET STORE! ^_^

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar'][quote name='Kayden']I think you have to raise its governing attribute then.
[/QUOTE]

You know, it's tied ter personality and I've been raisingg that too. With my speechcraft.

The onky skill I have that will not raise no matter what is merhcnat. So all I do is train it. Which sucks. Because it's means thge best I can get is max 75.

I got that shield too. it's sweet. I also have a ring of magic resistance 10 that stacks with my Bennon resistance sop I'm up to 60%

And I have the most awesoime gauntlets. Gauntlets of life detection 65 feet. It lets you see all creatures within 65 feet even through walls by surrounding them with a pink mist. It'll allow you to find invisible creatures. Also, i think it tells you what scale of soul creatures habve. The stronger the soul, the brighter the aura.

I'm telling you, doo the quest from the countess in Burma. You geta ton of cool stuff.[/quote]

There's a set of quests for 'master' trainers that are able to train you up to 100, one for each skill. Even with your glitched Mercantile you'll still be able to reach 100, although it will be expensive.

If you think those gauntlets are cool, wait until you finish the Thieves Guild quest line ;)

[quote name='Genocidal']There's a set of quests for 'master' trainers that are able to train you up to 100, one for each skill. Even with your glitched Mercantile you'll still be able to reach 100, although it will be expensive.

If you think those gauntlets are cool, wait until you finish the Thieves Guild quest line ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I thought a master could only train you to 75.

It doesn't really matter anyway. because you can only train 65 times a levle. I wonder, if you max level, does that become unlimited?

So the 360 now gets a horse armor pack... where the hell is the one for the PC?

Cmon Bethesda, don't do something stupid like this.

[quote name='Roufuss']So the 360 now gets a horse armor pack... where the hell is the one for the PC?

Cmon Bethesda, don't do something stupid like this.[/quote]

You really gunna get bent about a metal saddle? There are already about a dozen new weapons and armors available for the PC version.

[quote name='Kayden']You really gunna get bent about a metal saddle? There are already about a dozen new weapons and armors available for the PC version.[/QUOTE]

Its not only the horse armor... if Bethesda was to support the 360 with their own official mods, but not do shit for the PC version, thats kind of a slap in the face. Who knows what kind of awesome stuff they'd keep adding.

I love user created content, but something by Bethesda I'd download in a heartbeat because I know its quality.

The best stuff for Morrowind didn't even come from Bethesda. They put out like 2 pieces of armor and a side quest.

[quote name='Roufuss']Its not only the horse armor... if Bethesda was to support the 360 with their own official mods, but not do shit for the PC version, thats kind of a slap in the face. Who knows what kind of awesome stuff they'd keep adding.

I love user created content, but something by Bethesda I'd download in a heartbeat because I know its quality.[/quote]

and you'd pay for some shitty little official add-on like Horse Armor..

none of that stuff will be free, and most of it won't be worth the price. I'd love to see them prove me wrong, but if they released pay-for mods for the PC, there would be nothing to stop people from sharing them.

(I'd share something with everyone because I'm opposed to the idea of paying for official modifications) I think of it as just a way to milk the fans for more cash. If they want to release a full on expansion pack, sure I'd buy that.. but I'm not willing to pay for a few mods that are offered for download

[quote name='Roufuss']I love user created content, but something by Bethesda I'd download in a heartbeat because I know its quality.[/quote]

That's funny because they're pretty much known for releasing games and then relying on the users to fix it up.

[quote name='Robobandit']and you'd pay for some shitty little official add-on like Horse Armor..

none of that stuff will be free, and most of it won't be worth the price. I'd love to see them prove me wrong, but if they released pay-for mods for the PC, there would be nothing to stop people from sharing them.

(I'd share something with everyone because I'm opposed to the idea of paying for official modifications) I think of it as just a way to milk the fans for more cash. If they want to release a full on expansion pack, sure I'd buy that.. but I'm not willing to pay for a few mods that are offered for download[/QUOTE]

Ditto on that. Being sold little additions to the game will only end with the user getting ripped off... expansion packs are fine since those typically have a substantial amount of new content, but having minor additions available for a cost isn't going to work.

Yep, theres already a couple of plugins to fix dead quests. :roll:

[quote name='Vegan']That's funny because they're pretty much known for releasing games and then relying on the users to fix it up.[/quote]

2 bucks for two kinds of horse armor? Who are they kidding? Whats their justification for charing for their mini-add-ons for Oblivion unlike the free ones they released for Morrowind?

I'm not saying they should give us everything for free, I mean, people recieving a salary are working on this post-release. I'd pay 50 cents for something like that horse armor, and maybe a buck for a new quest that was long enough and had some new content. But two dollars, if they release enough of these, that just adds up to the cost of an add-on but with less content.

And that coupon code doesn't seem to work.

I STILL cant seem to do significant damage to those basic ghosts. I bought a silver sword and still had to hack away at him until it had worn down to 36. I took one down because he was isolated, but the others I actually had to get to chase me outside where the nearby city guards could take care of them for me.

[quote name='ZombieHendrix']2 bucks for two kinds of horse armor? Who are they kidding? Whats their justification for charing for their mini-add-ons for Oblivion unlike the free ones they released for Morrowind?

I'm not saying they should give us everything for free, I mean, people recieving a salary are working on this post-release. I'd pay 50 cents for something like that horse armor, and maybe a buck for a new quest that was long enough and had some new content. But two dollars, if they release enough of these, that just adds up to the cost of an add-on but with less content.

And that coupon code doesn't seem to work.[/QUOTE]

There's only 2 armors for horses in that add-on? That blows. I thought that was just 2 sample pics from what's in the add-on. They don't really give a very good description of what you're buying.

I think I'll just wait and buy the expansion pack. I'm sure it will include lots of these extras, or it should.

Unfortunately, selling a bunch of little bits of extra content for small amounts of money is supposed to be the next big trend.

[quote name='Vegan']Unfortunately, selling a bunch of little bits of extra content for small amounts of money is supposed to be the next big trend.[/quote]

Unfortunately, they forgot to impliment the other half of the strategy: charging less for the games they intentionally ship missing parts.

[quote name='Vegan']Unfortunately, selling a bunch of little bits of extra content for small amounts of money is supposed to be the next big trend.[/QUOTE]

It won't be a trend if no one supports it. Of course. there will always be some paying for it but I doubt they sell enough to say "hey that was a good idea".

I hope they can fix the memory leak soon. I'm also getting a lot of lag in the arena for some reason. You can't see the crowd so I'm not sure what is causing it to lag.

[quote name='Genocidal']Because most normal people use .rar now due to better compression and an easy to use program?[/QUOTE]

well, until there's a program that opens .rar files that is free and not just trial verison, they should stick with zip IMO.

Most normal people? Most normal people around here haven't even heard of .rar

Making a zip file isn't difficult so wonder how it can be an easier to use program.

Anyway, has anyone installed BTMod for Oblivion? I can't seem to figure out what all I need to do in order for it to work.

[quote name='Genocidal']7zip will open .rar files and is free. WinRAR will as well, and is an unlimited , fully functional "trial".[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='Genocidal']7zip will open .rar files and is free. WinRAR will as well, and is an unlimited , fully functional "trial".[/quote]

Now on day 254 of your 40 day trial. You must register this product to continue. :lol:

I found a mod that made a ressurection spell available... I also found a mod that removes the bras from women. Needless to say, I combined to two to form and undead topless brigade. (Thumbnails give you an idea, but full pics are NSFW.)

I just ran around town killing everyone, stealing their clothes and then resurrecting them.

Then we met up with some guards.

All the fighting was hard work, so they took a nap.

Ressurected guards will try to arrest/attack you. It was funny having an undead guard examine a courpse saying they were dead, I'd revive them and the guard would go 'hows it goin?'. :lol:

Then I made a stop at the Arch Mage tower to play with enchantments. I had some black soul gems that apparently let you put fire damage on your ARMOR... I figured what the hell and put it on 4 pieces... I the following picture shows the subsequent explosion.

Its because they're so dark and I had to compress them a lot. The originals were 5+ megs. These are ~100kb.

bread's done
Back