The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/04/09/ps-vita-system-software-update-v-2-10/

Official news and details on the 2.10 update:
Here’s a look at some of the new enhancements you can expect with software update v.2.10:
  • Create folders to more easily manage your favorite application icons on the home screen, with up to 10 icons in each folder and a maximum of 100 on the home screen (including icons inside the folders).
  • Verify which PS Vita card you are using by looking at the home screen’s info bar. You can also save the layout of your home screen icons in the memory card.
  • Added video support allows you to play videos within the browser (memory card required; some videos are not supported).
  • New email enhancements allows you to view HTML messages, add multiple email addresses to your contacts, and easily search your messages using the new search feature.
  • PlayStation Plus members will be able to automatically update PlayStation Mobile format software and upload game save data onto online storage using 3G connection.
  • New “Mute Automatically” option will mute your PS Vita speakers when your headset is unplugged and pause your music when using the music app.
I don't know why you'd add folders and not increase the app limit on the home screen. The whole point for me is so I can go beyond that limit, which needs much bigger memory cards at the moment anyway.

8621871539_540c8440da_z.jpg

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/09/may-cover-revealed-batman-arkham-origins.aspx

While it's not the same as the console game, there is a new Batman game coming to Vita at the same time:
But that's not all. We also have a feature on the first handheld Arkham game, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate. Releasing on 3DS and Vita the same day as the home console version, Blackgate is a completely separate experience that takes place after the events of Arkham Origins. Armature Studio is developing the 2.5-D Metroid-style exploration action game. Industry followers will recognize Armature Studio as the company founded by several of the leads from the Metroid Prime trilogy.
The only previous work that's listed on their site is the Vita port of Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. The company was also founded by three former employees of Retro Studios.

anyone tried to put more than 100 apps on the vita now that we have folders?

it was not clear in the firmware post if the 100 app limit still applies...

[quote name='teddybass']anyone tried to put more than 100 apps on the vita now that we have folders?

it was not clear in the firmware post if the 100 app limit still applies...[/QUOTE]

The limit is still 100.

New game announcements:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpqWBNKVXo8

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/04/09/new-invizimals-games-coming-soon-to-ps-vita-and-ps3/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k32NfKr3Sfk

Here to tell you more about Invizimals: The Alliance is Dani Sanchez-Crespo, Creative Director/CEO at Novarama Technology.

Working side by side with the hardware teams, we have made sure the PS Vita is the perfect Invizimal hunting machine. Every function of the PS Vita, from the screen to the touch pads, has been tried and tested, to ensure hunters worldwide only get the best of the best.

Let’s start with the capture, which uses many new Augmented Reality technologies only available through the power of PS Vita. Do you want to track Invizimals around your house? YES! Find giant creatures lurking on buildings around your city? YES! Use touch, sound and orientation to lure that creature into your hands? YES! Invizimals: The Alliance has 20 all-new capture mechanics, where your hunting skills will truly be put to test.

We’ve also introduced a brand new battle system where you can battle with up to four creatures. You can battle solo, with other friends on PS Vita, or even use Cross-Play to fight your friends on PS3 in epic battle arenas. Free movement, team attacks, unlockable techniques… it’s Invizimals, but it’s a completely new experience.

And finally, there’s the new story. We can’t go into much detail now, but suffice to say all our heroes are back, on a quest to save the Invizimals from a new, larger than ever menace. They need the full Alliance of Invizimals Hunters to stop this new threat. And you know what that means, right? It means YOU.
We look forward to sharing more details with you soon. Back to you, Mitsu!

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/11/guilty-gear-xx-accent-core-plus-r-brings-verbose-battles-to-vita/

The PlayStation Vita version of Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R, which itself is the portable version of the arcade version of Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus, will hit the PlayStation Network in North America on Tuesday, April 23.

http://minotaurproject.co.uk/blog/?p=372

Llamasoft (Space Giraffe, Tempest 2000) are working on a Vita game:
And so that brings us to our new project – TxK on the Playstation Vita.

We’re going to base it on the essence of the original T2K. It’ll be the pure, straightforward shooter that maybe you hoped for when you first saw Space Giraffe. We’re not going to overload you with ultra psychedelia, but we will make it fluid and colourful and awesome-looking on the Vita’s delicious, vibrant OLED screen. We’re going to give you a perfect treat for your eyes, ears and thumbs with a modern extrapolation of one of the best shooters ever made on hardware that’s just perfectly suited for it, and in a way that retains the purity of the original design.

OMG Zombies is getting an HD re-release on the Vita:
Lauging Jackal have today announced that their critically acclaimed chain reaction shooter OMG-Z will rise again on PlayStation Vita in an enhanced remake, OMG HD Zombies!

If that name seems familiar, it’s because OMG HD Zombies! is a wholly revamped full-blooded Vita homage to Laughing Jackal’s Minis title, OMG-Z, which first reared its badly decomposing head in 2011 and is currently ranked in the Top 10 PSP games of all time on Metacritic.

For those of you who never experienced the simple joys of zombie-horde-popping the first time around, the undead infection in OMG HD Zombies! is the result of a scientific experiment on a virulent fungus that causes its zombified victims to explode when attacked. Any infected matter ingested or inhaled by a human victim causes them to become a zombie in turn.

That’s pretty cool in itself, but the best part is that if any infected matter lands on another zombie then that zombie explodes too, causing a rapid chain reaction of gory explosions and maximising the likelihood of nearby victims being infected. Wise to this knowledge, your Riot Cop character is able to take down whole city blocks of the undead with a single well-placed rifle round and a well chosen vantage point.

And with OMG HD Zombies! Laughing Jackal have added some exciting new features, including:

Improved Graphics – OMG HD Zombies! has been completely redrawn in HD.

More levels – Not only have the existing levels been remade, but Laughing Jackal have added 19 new levels, upping to total to 100.

More Zombies – Laughing Jackal have added 3 new classes of zombie to the original five.

More Upgrades – Laughing Jackal have boosted the number of upgrades, bringing the total to 100.

Trophies – 12 new trophies to unlock, achieved via a mixture of game completion and fulfilling special gameplay conditions.

Online Leaderboards – Compare your skills to the best zombie slayers around the world with over 100 leaderboards.

Touch Controls – Choose between the traditional control method and the brand new touch screen control method.

Prestige Mode – Something extra for the completionists out there. Complete the game to 100% Platinum standard and you can Prestige the game and start over again. As a thank you for Prestiging and starting the game over, you get a multiplier to your leaderboard ranking that increases with every Prestige level. You can Prestige up to 20 times and get some truly HUGE scores!

New Comics – As well as 2 new endings, we reveal more of the back story to the zombie outbreak in our specially extended comic book intro.

Laughing Jackal will be revealing more about some of those new features on their blog over the coming weeks, but for now I hope you’re as excited as we all are about OMG HD Zombies! Laughing Jackal have poured everything into this new game and I’m sure you’ll appreciate the results when you get to play it in a few weeks’ time.

OMG! The zombies are back and this time they’re very, very HD!

PS Vita firmware update 2.11 is live.

• Improved system stability.
  • Stabilizes the playback of certain titles.
I have also heard a rumor that Sony did an update to the PSP Emulator on the Vita via firmware update 2.10. Which might allow for more PSP titles to be available for the device.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...kham-origins-sister-game.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

Game Informer has an interview (more at the link if you want it) with Mark Pacini, game director at Armature, about Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate:
GI: Tell me about Armature. Who are you, and what brought you to this Batman project?

Mark Pacini: We were established five years ago by some ex Retro employees – myself, Todd Keller and Jack Mathews. I was the game director of the Metroid Prime Series, Todd was the art director, and Jack was the tech director. We broke out from Nintendo, started our own thing five years ago, and we had established a relationship with Warner Bros. They had come to us with this opportunity that they were looking to make a 2.5D-style Arkham game that was in the Metroidvania flavor and they thought we’d be a good pairing to it, since we were really familiar with that style of game. We made three of them, so it was a great fit and we were huge fans. I’m personally a huge fan of the Arkham franchise, so it just seemed like a really good fit.

How long have you been working on this project?

Since spring of last year.

What are some of the mechanics that you have transferred over from the console version?

That was actually kind of challenging in the beginning, because we wanted to give the player enough tools to unlock and progress in a world just like in a normal Metroidvania game. What we did is we went through the back log of the past two Arkham games and looked at the things that we thought would work well in our game. Climbing the grapple is our jump, so there’s no jumping in the game, you use the grapple to get up higher. We have glide – you know the glide allows you to go down over longer lateral spaces. Crouching and climbing and things like that are all from the console game so taking that small kernel of abilities, we are actually able to do quite a bit, and then we just supplement it with the gadgets that we thought would work well in a more 2.5D perspective. Things like the batarang and the gel launcher. The gel launcher is a slight adjustment to the explosive gel that’s in the console version, where Batman sprays it against the surface. We’re using it more like the movie version, where you can shoot it over more of a distance, so you can utilize the space on the screen a little bit more. Along with that there’s a bunch of gadgets that he has that we will reveal at another time.

You have a mechanic for targeting a particular person or location on the map – how do you handle that in terms of control mechanics?

We’re actually still working on that part. Basically, determining how much control and pacing we need for the player to have. Do we allow them to point at an exact place? Do we allow them to use more of soft targets in the world? Right now we are exploring a bunch of different opportunities – nothing’s absolutely locked in just yet.

How have you integrated Metroid-style gameplay?

It’s a very good blend of the two – of Metroid and Arkham. The one change that we did end up making it that there’s no XP in the game, so everything is item-based. The reason we did it that way is to give the player more of a sense of collection in this game. That was a design decision. If you unlock an ability based on experience, you might not have necessarily traveled to that place and gotten something. It’s the general overall experience that you have in the game, it’s that experience of getting that XP to buy that item, but what we wanted to do is put everything into an item-based system that you place into the environment, that gives you the motivation to explore the areas of the building. So that it gives you that flavor of: “Oh, I want that ability I can get up there,” rather than “I need to beat up some more guys to get the XP to unlock this thing.” I think it fits well for our style of game.

How have you brought in elements of the free-flow combat system?

We had to build that from the ground up. We made it so that Batman is still moving right to left, but the enemies have depth to them; they can be in the foreground or the background. So all of the free-flow system will still apply, but it’s just scoped for the handheld. What we wanted to do is make sure it felt more like Old Boy the movie than like Old School the game. That it wasn’t just enemies lined up behind each other – that you still felt like that you were encompassed by enemies that were around you but you still have the limitations of right and left. Again, that’s something we are continuing to polish right up to when we’re going to be finished with the game. I think that we are going to have a really good, true feel of that free-flow combat system even though the application of it is different.

Has anyone used Remote Play recently for the 6 or so titles that support it? I played some Tokyo Jungle last night and it played flawlessly. I'm sure it's coincidence (since I don't think they'd silently improve that function) but it was nice having it work so well. Might load up SoTC or God of War tonight and see if something a bit busier holds up.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...d-the-bigfoot-mystery-coming-soon-to-ps-vita/

Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery was just announced as an episodic adventure game for Vita:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a13eDbaLTEY

A new Lego game has been announced for Vita:
LEGO fans and young gamers alike, get ready to embark a thrilling adventure in the world of Chima!

Once a pristine and natural paradise, Chima has become a battle ground for eight animal tribes fighting for control of CHI, a powerful element that is both a source of life and unimaginable power. Kids will be able to experience the action first-hand beginning this summer with the release of LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval’s Journey for Nintendo 3DS™ and PlayStation® Vita and later in the fall for Nintendo DS™.

escapeVektor developer Nnooo has been approved for PS4 development, so they're supposedly working on something that will be on both Vita and PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/04/26/quell-memento-sliding-to-ps-vita-soon/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJwGrFm8Nis

In developing Quell Memento for PS Vita, we realized that the project was first started 20 years ago! You see, the game prototype was originally created on an Amstrad CPC computer, way back in 1993! Having said that, it was very different back then – it was called “Last of the Smileys” and was a lot more 8-bit in style. As we set about improving the game for a modern release, we knew that we wanted to have a much more unique visual style. After much discussion, we decided upon a gentle old-fashioned look, in part because we read that the human brain is more intelligent when it is relaxed.

Quell Memento is intended to feel familiar, and to evoke feelings of nostalgia. After all, a game called Memento is always going to be about memories! For this reason, we wanted all the elements to be recognizable from the real world (water droplets, pearls and roses, for example). This would mean, we felt, that the player is able to establish the rules of play quickly, because they know that a pearl is valuable, or that a thorn will likely burst a droplet.

We also decided that the puzzles would be set within an old abandoned house. What could be more peaceful than that? We designed the room to be an attic crumbling with decay. It took a while to get right, because we didn’t want it to be creepy or unpleasant, but we did want to arouse curiosity and make the player wonder “who lived here?”

The reason for this intrigue is that we had felt that a backstory, gradually revealed to the player, would help maintain their interest across the game (we have over 150 puzzles), and keep them going even when it gets challenging. An old man speaks to the player at intervals throughout the game and tells his story. His memories are a little muddled though, and he needs help to reorganise them and bring closure. As the player progresses through the nine chapters, the house transforms back to the way it was when lived in.

Things really clicked into place when we commissioned some beautiful music by composer Steven Cravis – a favorite of ours. He wrote a selection of soothing tracks that not only perfectly suit the story and style, but also actually help players to think.

Most games try to make you feel excited or stressed. We wanted to create a game that helped people unwind, maybe after a long day at school or work. The rear touchpad on PS Vita is a great way to play Quell Memento, as it means the screen is completely unobscured as you try to figure out the best way to complete the puzzles.

I picked up Hot Shots Golf World Invitational for PS Vita. I got into the series recently having never played it before. I played Hot Shots Golf 2 since it was a free download and got hooked though I suck terribly I am getting slightly better and better each time I played it. I also picked up the first HSG on PS and decided to as my first physical Vita game purchase will be World Invitational. Anyone still playing?

Some recent Vita news:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/07/doki-doki-universe-coming-to-ps4-ps3-and-ps-vita/

Doki Doki Universe is coming to PS4, PS3, and Vita as a very weird game that you should just read the article above to understand. It'll be released with a free game/demo/app that lets you interact with others that own the game that you can pay to play the full game for yourself. They actually plan to do a full three-way Cross Buy across all three platform, which sounds like a great way to get around the whole BC issue with the PS4. The founder of this studio worked on ToeJam & Earl and Starflight.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/07/hohokum-coming-to-ps4-ps3-ps-vita-in-2014/

Hohokum is a new PS4, PS3, and Vita game from Richard Hogg, HoneySlug, and Sony Santa Monica. The first two names there you may remember as being the main components of Frobisher Says. It's another very weird game that the team had been working on for a couple of years now, but they took a break when they started working on Frobisher Says after showing it off at IGF and Indiecade about two years ago. They're also looking to do a three-way Cross Buy.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/07/counterspy-sneaking-to-ps3-ps-vita/

Counter Spy is a new PS3 and Vita game coming from a small team of four developers, two of which are former LucasArts employees. The game is a love letter to games like Flashback, Out of this World, Impossible Mission, Metroid, and Shadow Complex, so it seems to be a Metroidvania-style game. It's set during the Cold War as you're sent out to stop WMDs from being manufactured/launched in this various bases. Cross Buy support isn't mentioned.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/08/become-a-playstation-mobile-publisher-for-free/

Publishing PSM titles is now free.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/09/muramasa-rebirth-seek-the-demon-blade-on-ps-vita/

Here's a new trailer for Muramasa Rebirth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEKYkIztiM0

Wow- all that time we waited for Full Frontal Assault and it looks like ass. There is literally a visable seam down the middle of ratchet's face, and the logo on quark's chest is a pixelated mess.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Thanks, I figure at that price I'll give it a shot even if it'll probably take a couple weeks to get here.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Sounded interesting and a pretty good price.

Virtue's Last Reward an God Eater are both coming to PS+ this month, along with some amazing PS3 games as well. HUGE month for PS Vita if you ask me.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/07/playstation-plus-3-new-fixtures-in-the-instant-game-collection/?CMP=US_PSNAll_20130607_8649404

"Speaking of the June preview, with all this PS Plus content, this month is shaping up to be one of the best PlayStation Plus months yet. UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception (PS3), XCOM: Enemy Unknown (PS3), and LittleBigPlanet: Karting (PS3) are all dropping next week, joining Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3) which joined PS Plus last week. You’ll still have Machinarium (PS3), Saints Row The Third (PS3), Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward (PS Vita), and God Eater Burst (PSP, PS Vita compatible), all coming in June as well! It’s never been a better time to join up."

What if Vita came out with an update to have a pS1/2 attachment? Think that could save it/ I sure would be fancied XD
PS1/2 attachment? What are your talking about? It can already play PS1 games, and there are talks of making PS2 games playable on the Vita. PLUS we have Gaikai coming soon which should open the door for A LOT more games...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/20/zrun-on-ps-vita-run-to-survive-this-summer/

9087486411_fce4ab860f_z.jpg

Hey, it’s Alexey from Beatshapers! I’m here to present our new game from E3 2013, ZRun. This is a third-person beat-’em-up game, coming this summer to PS Vita.

The player assumes the role of a young, vacationing college student, who finds himself in the middle of an outbreak. He’s not a hero; he just wants to survive and escape this nightmare.

Game Features

• Non-stop running action. Run and avoid obstacles – hitting obstacles hurts you and makes you an easy target for zombies.
  • Evade or attack zombies – if they attack you, you’ll get hurt and die.
  • Watch your stamina – every action costs some. If a player fights too much, he may end up not having enough stamina to jump over an obstacle when needed.
  • Use objects as weapons – bats, tubes, machetes, guitars, swords, axes, etc.
  • Use firearms (guns, shotguns, automatic rifles) to get rid of zombies quickly and effectively — but watch your ammo.
  • Multiple characters, each with their own distinct melee attack. It’s not shown in the trailer, but the current hero has a special side-kick which is handy for longer distances.
  • Explore the city and find the way out. New areas are unlocked after a successful run. Players may obtain useful items/abilities at newly unlocked junctions.
  • Upgrade and customize your character.
  • Campaign and endless survival mode.
  • Compete and collaborate with your PSN friends with street records scoreboards and using “near” to exchange useful items.

The player will attempt to complete runs between junctions. Junctions serve as checkpoints – when one is reached, it’s considered ʺunlocked,ʺ which will allow the player to access new missions. Players may start any mission from any unlocked checkpoint. Effectively, by unlocking new junctions the player will explore the city and move toward their final goal — escaping the outbreak.

Before starting a mission, the player can choose his equipment (items and weapons). Mission statistics (including friends mini-leaderboards) will be also available at junction checkpoints to give the game a competitive feel. Also, the dead “friends corpses” turned to zombies will be presented in levels as milestones where they died: the player’s name or PSN ID will be shown above it.

Progressing through missions yields points and money. After accumulating certain amount of points, the playerʹs level will increase. Leveling up gives the player upgrade points, which can be spent to upgrade stats and abilities. Money can be spent to get items, weapons and ammo. Items restores health and stamina, and cure poison and burning. Weapons are breakable blunt weapons (bats, pipes, planks), firearms (with limited ammo) and blades (knives, swords).

Obstacles are roughly divided into three groups: ones you can jump over, ones you need to slide under and ones you just need to avoid (full-height stuff like buses and trucks on the roads). Certain obstacles are hazardous, and will inflict burning, electrical or toxic damage. Hitting an obstacle inflicts some damage to character (HP loss) and may add poison/burning status.

The game is controllable via physical buttons, touchscreen and motion gestures, or a combination of both.

There are many comments comparing ZRun with modern endless runners, but let’s be clear: first, it’s not an endless (the player has a goal to reach) and second, it’s not a runner – it’s a beat’em-up at its core.

We are pleased to work with Vladimir “MoozE” Frey, an award winning composer (known for music for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Men of War: Vietnam, Firestarter), he created an amazing main theme. Check out his Facebook page.

For more information, watch our trailer, check out our website and follow us on Twitter.

Velocity Ultra coming July 2nd. Don't know much about it but the PSP game was loved. This is a remake with better graphics\cutscenes.

The new Dragon Ball Z game that was announced for western release yesterday, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z, will be getting a digital-only Vita release

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyK1_rEWBII

DBZ looks like it'll be retail in Europe so I may import.

For the obscure game fans.

Legends of War is under $20 shipped from the UK.
Supposed to be a good portable strategy game.

Saved me paying upwards of $60 on eBay.

http://www.zavvi.com/games-ps-vita/history-legends-of-war/10623749.html
Anyone else order this and get an email saying there is a problem with fulfilling the order?
Didn't see your post but yeah, they didn't have it in stock until like 2 weeks later. They finally shipped it earlier this week.

bread's done
Back