The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Yeah, but if you are going to buy a 8GB card anyway, then you are only paying $20 extra for 3G, and you'll probably get $10 of that back when you sell it on the used market in the future.[/QUOTE]
You know I never really realized how good of a deal that 3G bundle is. Considering the cheap case DarkonJohn posted I think I know what I'm ordering when my tax return comes in.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']You know I never really realized how good of a deal that 3G bundle is. Considering the cheap case DarkonJohn posted I think I know what I'm ordering when my tax return comes in.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after really thinking about it, I went ahead and put an order in for the 3G Bundle. I can wait a week, not have to buy a new memory card for a while, and get a game I want (Uncharted) for the same price as the First Edition Bundle. The more I thought about it, that First Edition case just wasn't worth an extra $50 to me... I mean, that was the only reason I would've gotten that bundle anyway.

... and, since you mentioned it, I wonder how many extra Vitas Sony is going to sell because they released it around tax return time? I'm can't lie, it's the only reason I'm getting one now instead of waiting.

[quote name='jza1218']So how does the 3G bundle work? You have to pay for a month of 3G, you get 250 MB free and a game?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the "free game" and "free month of 3G" service isn't that great of a deal unless you were already planning on paying for 3G service because you have to first sign up for 3G service (minimum of $15 for one month) and then the "free month" occurs after you complete this first month of paid service. So really, it's "B1G1".

I also think the free game is only awarded if you take advantage of the above "free month of 3G service" deal, so really you are paying $15 for 2 months of 250MB 3G data service and 1 free game (likely value $5 - $10 if bought on PSN directly).

However, worst case is that you are only paying $20 more for the 3G model vs. buying the WiFi model + $30 8GB card and you don't pay the extra $15 to get the 2 months of data and free game. I'll be interested in seeing what the free game choices are before I make my final decision to take advantage of that part of the offer.

Update: Here are some relevant details from the Amazon page:

Free game when you activate an AT&T DataConnect Pass*:

Game at the speed of your mobile life style when you want and in more places. Your new PS Vita 3G/Wi-Fi, connected by the AT&T Mobile Broadband Network, will change the way you play with continuous access in more places to your gaming community. Experience news feeds, multiplayer gaming, location based gifting, and PS Vita to PS3 system game play.

1. Select and sign up for an AT&T DataConnect Pass plan.
2. Login to your PlayStation Network account on your PS Vita.
3. 30 days after your DataConnect Pass activation, you will receive a game voucher code redeemable on the PlayStation Store.
*For details and limitations go to us.playstation.com/psvita

And this part sounds like you only get the free game AFTER your first month of paid data service:
Free game when you activate an AT&T DataConnect Pass*:

Game at the speed of your mobile life style when you want and in more places. Your new PS Vita 3G/Wi-Fi, connected by the AT&T Mobile Broadband Network, will change the way you play with continuous access in more places to your gaming community. Experience news feeds, multiplayer gaming, location based gifting, and PS Vita to PS3 system game play.

1. Select and sign up for an AT&T DataConnect Pass plan.
2. Login to your PlayStation Network account on your PS Vita.
3. 30 days after your DataConnect Pass activation, you will receive a game voucher code redeemable on the PlayStation Store.
*For details and limitations go to us.playstation.com/psvita

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkonJohn']Yeah, the "free game" and "free month of 3G" service isn't that great of a deal unless you were already planning on paying for 3G service because you have to first sign up for 3G service (minimum of $15 for one month) and then the "free month" occurs after you complete this first month of paid service. So really, it's "B1G1".

I also think the free game is only awarded if you take advantage of the above "free month of 3G service" deal, so really you are paying $15 for 2 months of 250MB 3G data service and 1 free game (likely value $5 - $10 if bought on PSN directly).

However, worst case is that you are only paying $20 more for the 3G model vs. buying the WiFi model + $30 8GB card and you don't pay the extra $15 to get the 2 months of data and free game. I'll be interested in seeing what the free game choices are before I make my final decision to take advantage of that part of the offer.[/QUOTE]
Wait, that kinda totally sucks. I guess knowing what games are available will determine whether it's worth it or not. I wouldn't be surprised if when you sign up for 3G service they'll somehow make it a pain to cancel.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Wait, that kinda totally sucks. I guess knowing what games are available will determine whether it's worth it or not. I wouldn't be surprised if when you sign up for 3G service they'll somehow make it a pain to cancel.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, which is why it wasn't a big factor in my decision-making process. There was another post around here (and I think the text is also on the Amazon web page) where the terms are detailed, but that's how I read them. It did sound like you could turn off the auto-renew for the plan, but if you forgot and went 1 day into the next billing period you would be charged full price for that month even if you cancelled (since you could potentially use all 250MB of data on that first day). If I do sign up for this, I'll definitely try to cancel the auto-renew the first day of the free month.

It also doesn't make any sense if you wanted to sign up for the 2GB data plan (though I can't imagine anyone on CAG falls into this category), because the "free month" is only for the 250MB data plan, so your first month of 2GB data would be downgraded to 250MB during the second "free" month, potentially exposing you to overage charges if you continued your same usage levels (or maybe they just cut you off if you hit the limit, I'm not really sure how this works).

Assuming you have no desire to ever sign up for a data plan, the one perk you might still get with the 3G model over the WiFi model is improved location services because the 3G model supposedly has GPS while the WiFi model uses a less accurate method based on WiFi hotspots.

Though I'm not getting it, the First Edition bundle is great for me since it looks like I won't be getting any games with it from GameStop if they end up asking $40 for Hot Shots Golf WI. I've got that for $30, Wipeout 2048 for $30, and Lumines: ES for $40 pre-ordered at Amazon along with Uncharted from Sony for $40 that will come the week before I get my system so the free shipping will get it to me just in time for launch. I do have Hot Shots Golf and Wipeout on release date delivery just in case the free shipping on Lumines and Uncharted takes longer than anticipated. I'll also probably grab a PSN game or two since it looks like PSN at launch will have Super Stardust Delta, Escape Plan, Hustle Kings, and StarDrone.

Why can't Amazon let you get release date delivery on different items in a single order if it's already decided that they'll be split up into multiple shipments? I had to cancel an order or two from Amazon because I assumed that that would work just fine.

Thanks for posting that DataConnect stuff. Honestly, I think I'm just going to go with a WiFi Vita, Uncharted, and a 8gb card. That, plus $20 for a case, basically nets me everything I want, but for the same price as the First Edition bundle. Just, you know, minus 3G.

Seriously, Sony, I'm trying to give you my money, why do you keep making this so hard? Ha. I've seriously pre-ordered, canceled, and re-pre-ordered like 4 times now.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Though I'm not getting it, the First Edition bundle is great for me since it looks like I won't be getting any games with it from GameStop if they end up asking $40 for Hot Shots Golf WI. I've got that for $30, Wipeout 2048 for $30, and Lumines: ES for $40 pre-ordered at Amazon along with Uncharted from Sony for $40 that will come the week before I get my system so the free shipping will get it to me just in time for launch. I do have Hot Shots Golf and Wipeout on release date delivery just in case the free shipping on Lumines and Uncharted takes longer than anticipated. I'll also probably grab a PSN game or two since it looks like PSN at launch will have Super Stardust Delta, Escape Plan, Hustle Kings, and StarDrone.

Why can't Amazon let you get release date delivery on different items in a single order if it's already decided that they'll be split up into multiple shipments? I had to cancel an order or two from Amazon because I assumed that that would work just fine.[/QUOTE]

I find that if I inundate myself with too many games, I form some sort of playing paralysis. That would also explain my huge backlog! In any case, I'm just starting out with Uncharted and HSG for now. I'll probably play LD here and there, but it all depends. If I can sell that for a decent price, then maybe I can make a buck or two back.

I was in the same boat with people who didn't care about getting it early. Then I saw some vids on Uncharted and MK...that pretty much gave me a Vita hard on since then.

[quote name='Pck21']I find that if I inundate myself with too many games, I form some sort of playing paralysis. That would also explain my huge backlog! In any case, I'm just starting out with Uncharted and HSG for now. I'll probably play LD here and there, but it all depends. If I can sell that for a decent price, then maybe I can make a buck or two back.

I was in the same boat with people who didn't care about getting it early. Then I saw some vids on Uncharted and MK...that pretty much gave me a Vita hard on since then.[/QUOTE]
Uncharted's linear, Wipeout will be my racing game for a while, and the other two I can play off and on for a long time, so it's not really that big of a list for me.

The thing that'll challenging to tackle is my digital PSP library, which I'm downloading now with Media Go on my new PC to be ready to go for launch. I'm at 16 games right now up to Patapon 2 and still have some more to go, which will take up the largest part of my 32 GB card. I hope that they won't appear as separate bubbles on the home screen or I will be waiting for Sony to add folders to the Vita.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Now I'm leaning toward a WiFi Vita, a 16gb memory card, and Gravity Rush. Is Gravity Rush a NA launch game for sure?[/QUOTE]
It's not coming at launch, maybe closer to the summer. GameStop has 5/29 as the release date. Same for Amazon.

[quote name='Pck21']I find that if I inundate myself with too many games, I form some sort of playing paralysis. That would also explain my huge backlog! [/QUOTE]

I'm in the same situation...I think the game I play the most by far is "Let's find a great deal on a video game" and CAG is the main place I play it :lol:

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I'm in the same situation...I think the game I play the most by far is "Let's find a great deal on a video game" and CAG is the main place I play it :lol:[/QUOTE]

Dude, you and I are on the same page! I do the exact same thing! Lol!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.gamespot.com/shows/on-the-spot/?event=on_the_spot_ps_vita20120202

GameSpot has a special Vita episode of On the Spot to show off a bunch of its games.[/QUOTE]

I just finished watching the first game, and I was blown away. I've now got that one on my radar as a buy. I'll check out the rest tonight. Thanks!

I pre-ordered my Wifi Vita the other night along with a 16GB memory card for a grand total of 5 dollars. That was after all the credit and rewards certificates that I had.

Along with that I am getting Uncharted, WipeOut and Hot Shots Golf to start. I'll probably get Stardust off PSN as well.

My first console that I am picking up at launch, so I am pretty excited. Maybe too excited, heh.

For those that may be interested in getting their digital Vita games a little early, the new PS Blogcast talked about how they're handling Vita games on the PS Store on the PS3 for both launches. To correspond with the First Edition launch, Vita games that launch on the 15th will be appearing on PS3 PSN on the 14th and the rest that are out on the 22nd are coming on the 21st. There won't be a special Vita section on the store until the 21st.

[quote name='handsomepete']Wow, MLB 12 control-wise looks pretty sharp. And of course it looks stupid good like everything else on the vita.[/QUOTE]

The best part to me was him responding to the question about a deal for players that buy both PS3 and Vita versions and him having to say he couldn't comment and to stay tuned.

[quote name='handsomepete']Wow, MLB 12 control-wise looks pretty sharp. And of course it looks stupid good like everything else on the vita.[/QUOTE]

No joke. Without a doubt, MLB 12 and Uncharted are the killer apps that made the Vita a day 1 purchase for me. HSG on launch day was just icing on the cake. My family has put in hundreds of hours into HSG on both the PS3 and, the PSP. I'm really excited for the future of the Vita's games with franchises like MGS, Resistance, FF, COD, EA Sports franchises, and I could go on. Very pumped!

[quote name='Pck21']No joke. Without a doubt, MLB 12 and Uncharted are the killer apps that made the Vita a day 1 purchase for me. HSG on launch day was just icing on the cake. My family has put in hundreds of hours into HSG on both the PS3 and, the PSP. I'm really excited for the future of the Vita's games with franchises like MGS, Resistance, FF, COD, EA Sports franchises, and I could go on. Very pumped![/QUOTE]

Same here. I'm really excited for so many games coming out this year on Vita. Uncharted and Gravity Rush are the big games I'm excited at launch. I also love Little Big Planet and think this one will just as awesome especially excited to see what the levels and games the community create.

Now that Disgaea 3 is confirmed to use GPS function of 3G model I think I want to spend the extra money on 3G instead.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's not coming at launch, maybe closer to the summer. GameStop has 5/29 as the release date. Same for Amazon.[/QUOTE]
Honestly if there's no Gravity Rush at launch I'm much less likely to get the system when it comes out. What is confirmed as a launch game?

[quote name='62t']Now that Disgaea 3 is confirmed to use GPS function of 3G model I think I want to spend the extra money on 3G instead.[/QUOTE]

Could you expand on this? What does it use GPS for? I have Disgaea 3 on PS3 that I still haven't played yet so I was gonna skip this but I'm interested to see how this game uses the 3G and how other games might use it in the future. I might switch my plans for the WiFi model.

Watching the preview of ModNation and it looks pretty sharp. Did anyone stick with the PS3 version?

I was really interested in it, but it had some ridiculous rubber-banding and I got so mad at it that I traded it in. I heard they fixed that later on. Is that true?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Could you expand on this? What does it use GPS for? I have Disgaea 3 on PS3 that I still haven't played yet so I was gonna skip this but I'm interested to see how this game uses the 3G and how other games might use it in the future. I might switch my plans for the WiFi model.[/QUOTE]

It tracks distant travelled IRL and unlocks in game items.

Google is your friend.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Do you have to have a data plan for the GPS to function, and how does it use the GPS?[/QUOTE]

That's the big question about the 3G model I still haven't been able to find an answer for. I suspect they might be using cell tower location information for location info rather than an actual GPS receiver, in which case it might be tied to having an active data plan. However, if it is an actual GPS receiver, then an active data plan shouldn't be required.

Of course, any location features would probably still require a data connection in order to do anything with the location information, but I'd much rather use my WiFi hotspot feature on my phone to provide that connection than sign up for AT&T's data plan that only works for my Vita.

I've done some searches, but found like 15 different answers...

How is upgrading the memory stick going to work? PS3, PC, etc? I'm just trying to gauge how much of a headache I'm going to face if I end up going small on the card initially.

[quote name='007']I've done some searches, but found like 15 different answers...

How is upgrading the memory stick going to work? PS3, PC, etc? I'm just trying to gauge how much of a headache I'm going to face if I end up going small on the card initially.[/QUOTE]

From what I've been able to find out:
1) The Vita storage cards get linked to your Vita when you use/format them with your device the first time.

2) You can use multiple cards with your Vita, but each time you switch cards you need to reboot your Vita before you can use the newly inserted card.

3) If you want to use a card that has been used in another Vita, you have to format it so it can be linked to your Vita.

4) The only thing that can read/write the Vita storage cards is a Vita, so all file transfers (other than those through PSN) must go through the desktop app. This is no USB mounting of the Vita as a flash drive like you had with the PSP's flash card.

5) Each time you use the desktop app to copy files to the Vita (or maybe even just connect to the Vita), I believe it requires an internet connection so it can "phone home" to the Sony mothership. While this was always the case for PSN content, I think it may now also be the case even when copying your own content (music or videos).

6) Since you can't mount the storage card as a USB drive, you can only copy the type of content that the desktop app allows you to copy.

All of the above seem to be Sony's attempt to make it as hard as possible for people to circumvent the DRM and pirate games.

One question I have (which sounds the same as yours) is what the process looks like for migrating your files from one (smaller) storage card to another (larger) storage card. I assume the files would need to be copied from the first card to your desktop computer, you swap cards and then copy them back to the new cards.

Update: As Frisky said, you might be able to substitute a PS3 for your PC, though I haven't heard any details on that or if there are limitations of one approach compared to the other.

Hmmm, I think I'm going to upgrade to the 3G model. I wanted to save the $50 but having the option for 3G seems better than not having it at all.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Hmmm, I think I'm going to upgrade to the 3G model. I wanted to save the $50 but having the option for 3G seems better than not having it at all.[/QUOTE]

I keep telling myself it's only $20 more, once I factor in the included $30 storage card.

When I was planning on getting the WiFi model I was also going to buy the 32GB card because I know that's what I want in the long-run, so by going with the 3G model I'm actually saving $50 rather than spending an additional $50. Yeah, I'm just trying to justify it to myself any way I can ;)

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I keep telling myself it's only $20 more, once I factor in the included $30 storage card.

When I was planning on getting the WiFi model I was also going to buy the 32GB card because I know that's what I want in the long-run, so by going with the 3G model I'm actually saving $50 rather than spending an additional $50. Yeah, I'm just trying to justify it to myself any way I can ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, now the problem is, I feel like I should get the FEB bundle for the awesome case and the game although I'll get the smaller memory card, so now I might spend $100 more. My original plan was to get the WiFi model and the starter kit so I could have a case and a memory card, so since that would take it to $290, maybe I should just go with the FEB bundle for $60 more and get a game and a better case. Decisions, decisions.

I just would want Little Deviants to come in a full case, which it probably won't.

fuck it, I'm pulling the trigger on the FEB for the better case and to get it a week early. I'll make up for the extra money I spend by buying cheap games, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gettinmoney662']fuck it, I'm pulling the trigger on the FEB for the better case and to get it a week early. I'll make up for the extra money I spend by buying cheap games, haha.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, you've still got nearly 2 weeks to change your mind again :lol:

I'm still debating if I should just bite the bullet and order the 32GB card now (and try to sell the 8GB card to recover some of the costs) or wait and see how long it takes for them to drop down in price. I do have a bunch of PSP games on PSN so I could probably fill up the 8GB card pretty quickly.

I don't know why you would think there's going to be a price drop. It's a proprietary format that may not ever see a micoSD adapter because it shares its width dimension with microSD standard, meaning the adapter couldn't add any width. Who knows about height.

I still have my release day PSP and it looks brand new, never had any regrets with that purchase, looking forward to the same with the Vita 1st Ed. Did play with one the other day at a local gamestop, was very nice, tried out some Wipeout, Hotshots and Little Deviants... posted earlier in the thread with my thoughts. only 2 more weeks...

[quote name='Anexanhume']I don't know why you would think there's going to be a price drop. It's a proprietary format that may not ever see a micoSD adapter because it shares its width dimension with microSD standard, meaning the adapter couldn't add any width. Who knows about height.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree that there won't be anything like a microSD adapter due to size issues or a third-party card due to legal issues related to duplicating the DRM built into the cards, but I do think that if sales are poor and one of the reasons is the high price of the cards then they will be motivated to lower the prices to spur more sales of Vitas and cards. I'm pretty sure the profit margins on the cards are huge so they have plenty of room to cut them and still make a profit.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Don't worry, you've still got nearly 2 weeks to change your mind again :lol:

I'm still debating if I should just bite the bullet and order the 32GB card now (and try to sell the 8GB card to recover some of the costs) or wait and see how long it takes for them to drop down in price. I do have a bunch of PSP games on PSN so I could probably fill up the 8GB card pretty quickly.[/QUOTE]

Just use MediaGo to keep the files on your computer and switch them out. I also have quite a few PSP games on PSN that I have yet to play cause I sold my PSP to a friend awhile ago but I'm just going to stick with the 4GB card cause I plan on buying all my Vita games retail (is it weird that I'm doing this because I love the blue cases?).

Anyways, I just plan on having a few games on the card at a time and once I beat them, delete them and move more games on to the card. A little bit of hassle every now and then is worth saving $100 to me.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Well, now the problem is, I feel like I should get the FEB bundle for the awesome case and the game although I'll get the smaller memory card, so now I might spend $100 more. My original plan was to get the WiFi model and the starter kit so I could have a case and a memory card, so since that would take it to $290, maybe I should just go with the FEB bundle for $60 more and get a game and a better case. Decisions, decisions.

I just would want Little Deviants to come in a full case, which it probably won't.

fuck it, I'm pulling the trigger on the FEB for the better case and to get it a week early. I'll make up for the extra money I spend by buying cheap games, haha.[/QUOTE]

Alright! Another FEB convert lol. I'm kidding of course.

I had the same logic as you did. I figured I'm spending more, but for a lot more added in.

[quote name='Pck21']Alright! Another FEB convert lol. I'm kidding of course.

I had the same logic as you did. I figured I'm spending more, but for a lot more added in.[/QUOTE]

Haha, two days ago, I was gung ho WiFi model, but now that I found out games might use the 3G feature, it seems like something I should have, just in case. Plus, I had $20 in rewards points so that softened the blow a bit.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Haha, two days ago, I was gung ho WiFi model, but now that I found out games might use the 3G feature, it seems like something I should have, just in case. Plus, I had $20 in rewards points so that softened the blow a bit.[/QUOTE]

That's what I like about the 3G model...it has the potential to be something great.

Just played it at my local gamestop, gravity rush and uncharted both look and play awesome.
and that screen :drool:. the buttons and analogs are surprisingly small though.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']Just played it at my local gamestop, gravity rush and uncharted both look and play awesome.
and that screen :drool:. the buttons and analogs are surprisingly small though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought the buttons were rather small too when I tried it out. It was still awesome though, definitely see the potential.

Dropped by my local GameStop but unfortunately no Vita demo unit. Anywhere else have them to play?

Also, as soon as the guy found out I didn't intend on preordering anything (even though I did buy an XBL points card) he didn't even give me the time of day. As much as I've been lamenting the supposed death of used games with the next generation, maybe spending a bit more money to get rid of that shithole would be worth it.

bread's done
Back