The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='token2k6']

Don't forget to pair this with the plastic MadCatz armor shell that GS has for $12.99. picked it up this weekend and will probably never take it off. It also means you don't have to get a Hori protector if you were looking to cover the whole face. The MadCatz shell also has a nice little kickstand that works great (why would anybody by that god awful official Sony back cover kick stand for $20??)

so, all in all, definitely worth it, can't compare it to a Hori, thats all I've ever bought in the past, and even though the Hori is $7 from Amazon, I see no need to place an order for it to replace the official Sony one just yet..[/QUOTE]

I purchased the Sony screen protector and the Madcatz armor shell (after reading your post). I will pick up my vita from Target in the morning with my free 4gb card and free $20 gc. I just need a case that will fit with the armor on. Thinking about the black/gray case from Target pictured in the case thread. Any suggestions on what will work with the armor on? Thanks.

[quote name='halvorsb']Anyone else having problems with a hard copy of Lumines? I can't seem to get it installed, freezes after about 10 seconds each time making me do a hard restart. Tried it a couple times to the same result - getting frustrating! The icon is on my "desktop" but as soon as I insert the cartridge it's back to the same process.[/QUOTE]
I recall reading that somebody fixed this issue by going into the recovery menu (shown here) and choosing the Rebuild Database option.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I recall reading that somebody fixed this issue by going into the recovery menu (shown here) and choosing the Rebuild Database option.[/QUOTE]

Awesome - that worked. Seems to be caused by having the demo downloaded on your Vita and then trying to replace it with the retail version...

Much appreciated!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No. It's the same price on PS3.[/QUOTE]

This is where Sony has serious trouble competing with iPhone/iPad. Plants VS Zombies has been as low as $3 for iPad. Owning an iPad, I can't see ever purchasing the game for Vita, or PS3 for that matter.

[quote name='iamthekiller']This is where Sony has serious trouble competing with iPhone/iPad. Plants VS Zombies has been as low as $3 for iPad. Owning an iPad, I can't see ever purchasing the game for Vita, or PS3 for that matter.[/QUOTE]
Okay.

I own it on Steam, XBLA, PSN, and iPod Touch and the only version I regret is the iPod Touch version because of how gimped it is compared to the others. I'd even consider getting the Vita version to support more quality ports from PopCap.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Okay.

I own it on Steam, XBLA, PSN, and iPod Touch and the only version I regret is the iPod Touch version because of how gimped it is compared to the others. I'd even consider getting the Vita version to support more quality ports from PopCap.[/QUOTE]
I'd love some Peggle on the Vita. I'd pay $15 for that (assuming it had Peggle Nights too), despite owning it elsewhere.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Do you like platformers? Rayman Origins is the highest rated non PSN only game on the system.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was thinking Origins, since I haven't played it on a console.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']the only version I regret is the iPod Touch version because of how gimped it is compared to the others.[/QUOTE]

Do tell. What options/extras/bonuses are included in the other versions that are absent from the iPod version?

Because I honestly don't know.

[quote name='iamthekiller']This is where Sony has serious trouble competing with iPhone/iPad. Plants VS Zombies has been as low as $3 for iPad. Owning an iPad, I can't see ever purchasing the game for Vita, or PS3 for that matter.[/QUOTE]

I've enjoyed ALL the versions I bought of PvZ. That includes PC, 360, PS3, DroidX, Kindle Fire, and even PSP. I will admit that its long past time for a PvZ2, not sure what Popcap is thinking by not getting a new, different version of this game out ASAP.

I may get it for the Vita, but $15 is a bit high . . . maybe they'll run a sale on it soon. There are plenty of other games to keep my attention anyway, no big rush.

[quote name='mykevermin']Do tell. What options/extras/bonuses are included in the other versions that are absent from the iPod version?

Because I honestly don't know.[/QUOTE]
It just had the adventure mode and a simple pick-a-stage-and-play mode. Nothing else. They eventually added zen garden mode and maybe a few minigames a year later, but in-app purchases can unlock more minigames. The screen not being that big also can make the touch controls a bit inaccurate at times.

The Steam/PSN/XBLA versions have the adventure mode, zen garden, minigames, puzzles, survival games, endless versions of the survival/puzzle modes, and the XBLA/PSN versions have local co-op and a throwaway multiplayer mode. And as somebody that's played through the game at least a dozen times and put over 100 hours total across all versions, the iPod Touch version offers maybe a third or a quarter of the content for a similar portion of the cost. The console versions even did a good job of adjusting the gameplay a bit to work well with a controller, so the Vita version at least offers both options as a choice.

I'd have paid if PopCap at least did iOS people right and release two other games with the rest of the modes for $2.99 each, but they half-assed it and seem to be fine with it being just an okay version of one of my favorite games ever.

I've played PS3, PC, 360, iPhone and iPad versions of the game.
iPad is my favorite and the excellent touch screen controls are the main reason I'm considering the Vita version when it hits its first sale. Well, that and the Platinum.

Can the Vita download .zip and .exe files? Not to open on the Vita, but just to store on it and later transfer them to a PC? I do that quite often with my phone and download music and other kinds of files on my college wifi. I haven't seen any talk of that since it's a specific, non-gaming thing.

Well, what lockerz has in price they make up for in shipping.

The best info I can get basically says it'll ship priority mail today or tomorrow.

That's not particularly reassuring. Amazon prime has spoiled me.

I can't wait to get my hands on the Vita today. I'm really stoked to see what this thing can do. I love mobile gaming, and I think the Vita will be a device I carry around with me for a while.

I made a run to Target when they opened - I would have ordered online through Amazon, but I'm in a state where Amazon charges tax, so the deal was exactly the same (except for you lucky ones who got a 4GB card AND $20 credit).

Might have just been my Target, but there was nobody there. I expected to bump into at least one other nerd, but nope. Just me. Picked up UMvC, Wipeout and Uncharted. Wanted Rayman over Wipeout, but they didn't have it.

It's currently sitting under my desk glowing orange charging. Just taunting me. Lunch can't get here fast enough. Should be enough of a distraction to take my mind off the fact that I can't eat meat today. (Catholics, consider that your friendly reminder.)

One thing I've noticed from holding it - the thumbsticks don't have much "tackiness" or grip to them, and I can feel my thumbs slipping off pretty easy. I hope there will be something like Kontrol Freeks available soon. Not a huge deal, just one little nit-pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is the 1st system I've got at launch, and I couldn't be more excited (and I've yet to play the Vita). Between the free memory card and $20 credit at amazon, the B2G1 at amazon, and the B2G1 at best buy (which I used on 3 pre-orders) I feel like I've got a great deal on everything I've bought so far.

Though technically, my wife bought me the Vita itself.

And sorry about the no meat Jaso, I remember growing up that I had to follow that rule too.

Ordered my vita for in store pick up from best buy. My points + reward zone + Sony rewards points stacked for the win. Going to hit up TRU for UC, gaiden and Rayman plus a case and 8GB card.

Has anyone had any problems with the free PSN+ minis? I redownloaded Age of Zombies from the PSN Store, on the Vita, that I had gotten when it was free with PSN+. Whenever I try to start it, it always gives an error message though. I do have a current active PSN+ subscription. I haven't tried it since the most recent software update though, so I may have to try it again next time I use the Vita.

I haven't really gotten to play it yet, but I have been fooling around with the settings, hooking it up to my PS3, etc. Am I missing something or are you not able to play PS1 games on the Vita like the PS3 could? It doesn't seem to give me the option in the data transfer program

Just got back from picking up my Vita from BB. RZ points + financing (buying it with their money, and yes I know to pay it off, no lectures of the horrors of credit cards please :) ) FTW (for me). The guy was super helpful and even let me order 2 of the 3 games to take part in the B2G1, sadly no Blazblue available through them at all. Wonder what's up with that, I can't believe they pressed that few copies, I'm assuming it'll become more available later.

There was 1 other guy there to buy a Vita, I was the only one hanging around at opening though. Pretty weird, going to that same BB for the PSP launch, there was a line of 20-30 people for it. The guy at video games did say they had a LOT of online orders waiting for pickup, though.

They also had all of the memory card sizes in stock, which was nice, because I was originally told they wouldn't stock the 32gb cards in store.

Now to get it plugged in and wait for lunch to try it out. :) Gotta find a good case I like, too. I like the looks of the Madcatz armor one, or maybe this one? http://www.amazon.com/COSMOS-crysta...leaning/dp/B0078J3KVW/ref=zg_bs_3010556011_47

Just got my vita delivered from amazon, it was fully charged.

Wont let me sign in (or up) for psn cause there is an update, but I can't connect to the internet at work. Kind of a flawed set up.

How did it know that there was an update? lol

Ok, those of you who have had yours for a few days or longer: are screen protectors necessary?

No, I mean really, truly necessary? I've had the same iphone for 4 years and while it's ugly and scratched, the screen itself is fine (not perfect) - but it's also been in my pocket everyday, constantly being used, etc. I don't think there's a chance that the Vita will ever come close to taking the day to day use of an iPhone. And I don't have a screen protector for that.

Is the Vita screen (the touch screen!) that sensitive? Or are y'all who are buying them just some combination of better-safe-than-sorry and obsessive-compulsive?

I don't see the big deal here, but perhaps I'm missing something.

While i have only had mine for 1 hour, I put the Sony screen protector right on.

The body is made of plastic. While I'm sure its durable for a plastic, it will never stand up to glass, let alone Gorilla glass (on i devices).

The screen is perfectly responsive with this screen protector on. No issues there for me.

Something to think about.

I would probably only buy a screen protector if i was to throw it in my pocket without a case. right now i have the first edition case and it stays at home. but i kind of want to bring it to work and play wipeout on my break so i'm thinking of picking up a screen protector so i can just trow it in my pocket. but yeah if you carry it in a case and you don't drop it a screen protector shouldn't be necessary. i may want to get a matte one so i can sit on the beach and play in daylight

I'm not sure if it needs a screen protector or not but I don't want to find out that it does without having it on there. $10 is a small price to pay to avoid having a scratch on the screen.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']CheapyD and Shipwreck need their heads examined. This thing is "Huge!"? Really? It's barely bigger than my PSP. :roll:[/QUOTE]

true but not with a case. i don't give a shit if my psp gets scratched but there is no way i leave with my vita not in a case. i actually brought my kindle with me to work yesterday instead of my vita because it fit in my pocket better

A bit OT, but Joey Logano will be running a Vita car in Saturday's Daytona race.

df34e9a05d9911e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

Yea or nay? Can't say that Sony (indirectly through Gamestop in this case) isn't putting an effort in marketing this thing.

I say yea, but this Logano dude better win the race. It'll be tough too with Danica's hotness distracting him, he should make sure to fully discharge before the race.

[quote name='JDTAY']I say yea, but this Logano dude better win the race. It'll be tough too with Danica's hotness distracting him, he should make sure to fully discharge before the race.[/QUOTE]

Well, he won the last Nationwide race at Daytona, so there's that. He was running for SportClips that race though.

I got the same issue about not being able to log into my existing acct until downloading the update. Looks like its the same thing that happened in japan where you just do the guest sign in, download the update, then you can log in with your real account. Also recommended to skip the 3g signup plan until after you've done the update. When I tried to do it before the update, it tried to use a alpha-numerical keyboard for the phone # fields and wouldnt register the #s being input. After I did the update, it gave me a numerical only keyboard for the phone # field.

Still getting everything set up. Sadly it looks like there is a speck of dust or something underneath the screen in the bottom right corner. It isnt a huge deal, but it sorta sticks out in colorful screens.

[quote name='dallow']myke, did your system ship?
I'm see posts by others that their system shipped today.[/QUOTE]

Yep. We'll see when I get it, though. Hopefully Friday.

Picked up my paid off Vita at GameStop, tried to resist the urge but I also got a a $50 PSN card (gonna at least get a PSP game today and save the rest or not get anything until some good deals pop up). Ultimate Marvel all night once I put my protector and charge this sexy beast!

The official Sony Screen protector is so damn easy to install, I littleraly was pissed because I did everything the instruction said and it was placed so perfect it took me 15 minutes to relize the screen protector was indeed up their, zero dust or bubbles. I installed probably 5 screen protectors in my life on various things (cell phones, DS, etc) and they always looked jacked up, but this was perfect.

Does anyone know if the Mad Catz armor shell any good?

I have a stack of launch day games I bought last year and never played and now I can add a Vita and the three games I am going to buy at the store to the list. At least I only paid 6.19 out of pocket for the thing thanks to Amazang credit.

bread's done
Back