The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='Brandon Heat']Looks like Sony removed the update from their servers due to a technical fault.

Looks like I will have to wait for my new notifications alert.[/QUOTE]

v1.66 appears to be up now if anyone was waiting with bated breath.

[quote name='handsomepete']v1.66 appears to be up now if anyone was waiting with bated breath.[/QUOTE]

Just got it, took only a few minutes including download, install, and several reboots. Not sure why some people are complaining about long install times, unless their internet service is crap. I ran the update over WiFi and we have FIOS internet.

[quote name='orntar']fios is a brand and doesn't really indicate quality or speed.[/QUOTE]

Just indicating that I was on fiber optic, not cable, DSL, or dialup. :roll: Download speed rates 14.40 Mb/s according to speedtest. Of course WiFi limits that.

I thought about it for awhile, and I decided to get one today. And I could not be happier. Love the new interface compared to the original PSP. I'm a very happy camper!!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/05/disgaea-3-absence-of-detention-hits-ps-vita-april-17th/

Some more details about Disgaea 3 for Vita along with a release date:
Greetings everyone! I’m dropping by to have a quick chat about Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention as it will be hitting both PSN and retailer shelves on April 17th, dood! Let’s jump right into it and talk about some of the brand-new features for its PS Vita debut!

For newcomers, Disgaea is a turn-based strategy RPG where players can move and arrange their characters using a grid-based system to perform special attacks, or team up to do millions of points of damage (often in very comical cutscenes) against their opponents. Disgaea is also known for its wacky cast of characters, one being NIS America’s awesome mascot, Prinny (highly disposable peon penguin demons that explode), all of which are illustrated by Takehito Harada.

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice first landed on PS3 on August 2008, and along with it came an extensive amount of DLC featuring a lot of characters from the Disgaea universe. We are extremely happy to let everyone know that all of the aforementioned DLC is already included in Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention for PS Vita, on top of the entire Disgaea 3 game!

We’ve also implemented PS Vita functionality, so now you can control your point of view on the map, zoom in and out, and scroll through menus using the front touchscreen and rear touchpad of the PS Vita. Another great feature included is GPS functionality (for 3G/Wi-fi PS Vita owners) that essentially tracks how far you travel while you are physically playing the game, and translates the distance into an in-game stat boost called “Honor Quotient.” Your Honor Quotient can still be increased by defeating monsters and clearing stages, so you Wi-fi PS Vita users can also take advantage of this new stat feature.

We’ve also added a ton of new story content to the game. First off, we’ve added two new characters, Stella and Rutile – both of whom feature in a brand-new two-episode side story. On top of that, Disgaea 4 fans can look forward to seeing two familiar characters, Desco and Fuka – this time as bosses!? More new stories that have been included revolve around Evil Academy’s first culture fair, Raspberyl’s first love, and the battle for the Aptitude Test. Good stuff!

Skill-wise, we’ve added a new tier of magic called the “Tera” level. These super-special attacks feature cameo characters from various Nippon Ichi games drawn by guest artists. Item-wise, we’ve added the ability to customize the visuals of your favorite item. Basically, this allows you to choose an item graphic from a predefined list and transfer stats from another item over to it. This allows players to make their own original weapon with the visuals of their choice. Previously, Disgaea allowed players to max out weapon stats, but not customize the visuals, so this is a plus for hardcore fans.

Thank you all for taking a gander at what Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention has to offer. With a ton of content jammed inside, on top of the Disgaea series’ infinite replayability, we are confident that Disgaea players new and old will find a ton of fun in this new edition for the PS Vita!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E38PAE3cnBc&feature=player_detailpage

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/05/the-pinball-arcade-hits-ps3-and-ps-vita-on-april-10th/

The Pinball Arcade will be out next week with a demo that lets you try out the four tables included before deciding whether to put $9.99 down on it or not. It also supports the buy-one-get-the-other-free model so you can buy either the Vita or PS3 version and have it on both. They have plans for monthly DLC and tables that is detailed in the comments, so read that for more if you're interested in that.

[quote name='prayformojo']Anybody check to see if the update killed the ability to reset trophies on rented/used games?[/QUOTE]

The update did not kill the resetting of trophies. I just bought a used copy of Virtua Tennis 4 and had to reset the game card. I just earned a trophy without issue.

[quote name='prayformojo']Anybody check to see if the update killed the ability to reset trophies on rented/used games?[/QUOTE]

Why would Sony do this? That is ridiculous. You have to reset the progress on used games, else trophy data would be corrupted or something.

If you guys want a good tip for quickly scrolling long lists on the main screen, the PS Store, or the web browser, just do your normal swipe up or down and hold it at the top or bottom.

I'm realizing that the 3G is just about worthless. Not being able to load saves from the "cloud" for MLB or update the system (regardless of how long it might take) are deal-breakers. I don't regret getting that version, but there's absolutely no way I'm paying beyond the 1+1 deal unless they somehow integrate some impressive features that use it beyond syncing trophies or stalking players in my area. :lol:

[quote name='chriscolbert']I'm realizing that the 3G is just about worthless. Not being able to load saves from the "cloud" for MLB or update the system (regardless of how long it might take) are deal-breakers. I don't regret getting that version, but there's absolutely no way I'm paying beyond the 1+1 deal unless they somehow integrate some impressive features that use it beyond syncing trophies or stalking players in my area. :lol:[/QUOTE]

They never really made a compelling argument for the 3G version. I wonder if they were pressured to release the 3G version, because it pretty much came out dead in the water. I don't see anyone in the future making use of it unless something changes.

[quote name='Gamehead']They never really made a compelling argument for the 3G version. I wonder if they were pressured to release the 3G version, because it pretty much came out dead in the water. I don't see anyone in the future making use of it unless something changes.[/QUOTE]

I got the 3G version only because of the last-minute 8gb card bundled in, made it only $20 more than the WiFi version. In fact, I just bought Super Stardust directly (full bundle), didn't even bother with the 3G activation; no real reason for me to bother.

[quote name='chimpmeister']I got the 3G version only because of the last-minute 8gb card bundled in, made it only $20 more than the WiFi version. In fact, I just bought Super Stardust directly (full bundle), didn't even bother with the 3G activation; no real reason for me to bother.[/QUOTE]

You could have sold me your code :( Didnt get chance to activate mine on time.

http://www.voofoostudios.com/?cat=26

VooFoo Studios, the guys behind Hustle Kings, are working on a chess game called Pure Chess for PS3 and Vita:

Throughout history, only one game has truly stood the test of time and made a significant impact on societies the world over. As fans of the sport, we felt compelled to develop a chess title that truly reflects the beauty and depth of the greatest intellectual game in the world.

The classic strategy board game comes to life in stunning detail.

-Become a grandmaster in the most realistic chess game on PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®Vita.
-Work through a comprehensive tutorial to improve your chess skills.
-Take on up to seven of your PlayStation Network friends using turn-based gameplay.
-Stereoscopic 3D (PlayStation®3 only).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un49ThIppCc

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/03/gravity-rush-ps-vita/

Wired has a list of release dates for upcoming Vita titles:
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention April 17th – Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice is a turn-based strategy RPG that is bring ported from the PS3 version. On the treatment. Although largely the same as its PS3 forebear the Vita version will includes all DLC from the original version. It also adds the close-up art from Disgaea 4, and new story content.

Although not an original Vita game Disgaea 3 will plug that tactical RPG gap. Its interactive maps and magical “geo blocks” system also add more of a puzzle feel to proceedings. Hopefully it will be joined by more original strategy games on the Vita soon.

Mortal Kombat May 2nd – Mortal Kombat brings the well known fighting game to the Vita. This is essentially a port of the console version, no bad thing for fans of the series. In addition there is a Challenge Tower mode that makes use of the new handheld’s interactive abilities.

Tilting, touching and swiping challenges are provided through 150 new ever more difficult trials only available on the Vita. This should keep fans of the series happy while the rest of us wait for a fighting game to really make use of the Vita controls in the main game.

Resistance Burning Skies May 29th – Resistance: Burning Skies is a brand new Vita game utilizing the system’s dual sticks and extra horsepower. This looks to follow up on Uncharted Golden Abyss’s third person success with a first person console experience on a handheld.

While I relish the thought of a true dual stick first person shooter on a handheld (without the jimmying around of that second circle controller on the 3DS) Burning Skies also needs to create a convincing reason to play. Its new hero and narrative written by William C. Dietz, (of Resistance: The Gathering Storm and Resistance: A Hole in the Sky fame) should stand it in good stead.

Silent Hill: Book of Memories May 31st – Silent Hill Book of Memories follows Origins success on PSP with a Vita specific outing. Similar to the PlayStation Portable game, this brings a few changes to the classic Silent Hill game-play. Firstly players create their own character who then becomes embroiled in a plot that includes familiar characters from the series. This combines with a new isometric top-down view to give Book of Memories a fresh feel.

The play mechanics also take a surprising turn for the series with a shifts towards co-operative action — the first multi-player mode in a Silent Hill game apparently. Like in the recent Silent Hill Downpour, your weapons quickly wear out which adds a strategy element. All in all it promises a unique Silent Hill experience on the Vita, providing all that change doesn’t swamp what made the original games such classics.

Lego Batman 2 June 1st – Lego Batman 2 is the follow up to the original Lego Batman game. This time there is a focus on the DC Comics super heroes. The Lego videogame formula is pretty dyed-in-the-wool by now, but it will be interesting to see if the Vita gets a full console version or simply a port of the DS/3DS game.

The combination of platforming and puzzles should make this an ideal title to take advantage of the PlayStation Vita’s touch screen, gyroscope controls and camera. Hopefully we will also see a return to the portable multi-player modes that the Lego DS games used to support (dropped in more recent versions).

Gravity Rush June 12th – Gravity Rush, Gravity Daze in Japan, comes from the talent behind the Silent Hill games. Its novelty rather than horror that take center stage here though as the game enables you to manipulate gravity to access new areas, solve puzzles and attack enemies.

But it’s not only the unusual play mechanic that Gravity Rush has going for it. There is a brushed art style that reminded me of Valkyria Chronicles, and characters that seem to be well fleshed individuals. By all accounts Gravity Rush is set to be the next killer Vita game.

:roll: There's no reason to think this would ever happen, unless you've got more cynicism than common sense.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you guys want a good tip for quickly scrolling long lists on the main screen, the PS Store, or the web browser, just do your normal swipe up or down and hold it at the top or bottom.[/QUOTE]Thanks!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/03/gravity-rush-ps-vita/

Wired has a list of release dates for upcoming Vita titles:[/QUOTE]

I'll be grabbing four of those.
Man, I hope E3 beings some big announcements...

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention April 17th – Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice is a turn-based strategy RPG that is bring ported from the PS3 version. On the treatment. Although largely the same as its PS3 forebear the Vita version will includes all DLC from the original version. It also adds the close-up art from Disgaea 4, and new story content.

Although not an original Vita game Disgaea 3 will plug that tactical RPG gap. Its interactive maps and magical “geo blocks” system also add more of a puzzle feel to proceedings. Hopefully it will be joined by more original strategy games on the Vita soon.

hate to say it but i HIGHLY Doubt we will see anymore RPG or Strategy games on the vita before 2013 since it take at least 12 months to bring them over... though i got this game day1

too bad they didnt do a combo pack

Disgaea 3 APRIL 15
Disgaea 4 May 15 or put both in one for 50

too bad you would never see games like this come out in the usa and refuse to pay 70 for it

PSV Nikoli no Sudoku V Shugyoku no 12 Puzzle JAPAN

or even a gallop racer sort of game

[quote name='Javery']Lego Batman on June 1? I hope that is the release date across all platforms.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's official. I've seen two dates listed. June 1st and June 19th. For what it's worth, the majority of sites list June 19th. Vita version shows June 19th, everywhere I've checked.

Street Fighter X Tekken on Vita will support cross-platform play with PS3 players:
Announced and showcased during Captivate was the Cross-Platform Play for the PS Vita system version of Street Fighter X Tekken which allows owners of the PS Vita system version to compete against owners of the PS3™ version anywhere in the world, via Wi-Fi or 3G. Other features confirmed for the PS Vita system version of Street Fighter X Tekken were the introduction of touch controls, local and Wi-Fi multiplayer plus Near functionality alongside all the content from the home console version.

Pinball Arcade is out now on PSN for 9.99. 4 tables included, more coming as add-ons. Also Treasures of Montezuma Blitz just appeared as well (free for PS+ members). Treasures of Montezuma 2 & 3 are among my favorite matching games, great to have this on Vita!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slidecage']

hate to say it but i HIGHLY Doubt we will see anymore RPG or Strategy games on the vita before 2013 since it take at least 12 months to bring them over... though i got this game day1

[/QUOTE]

I remember reading some tweet or post over on neogaf where XSeed basically confirmed they're bringing Ragnarok over by this Christmas. That's something. Also, Persona 4 comes out in June in Japan - maybe Atlus can get it over here by December since it's already been translated once.

So I finally got my Stardust Delta code. Last week a Sony agent said that AT&T was sending out the codes and gave me their number. The AT&T rep informed me that is not the case and game be an email that I needed to send

[email protected]

Subject:no free game voucher for PS Vita

Have not recieved voucher code for free downloadable game. It has been over
30 days. SR1-367046076.

I sent that and I got my code a mere 6 days later... I'm just glad I finally got my code but I'll be hesitant to try out Sony's launch offers in the future. I'm just posting this here since this method seemed to work, eventually.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Treasures of Montezuma Blitz just appeared as well (free for PS+ members).[/QUOTE]

So, I was playing this last night and it looks like you can only play five 1-minute games before it locks you out. You can refill your plays for $0.99 or wait some undisclosed period of time before attempting to play again.

Kind of a bullshit sales model, I think. :roll:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/11/mortal-kombat-hits-ps-vita-may-1st-watch-the-new-trailer/

Mortal Kombat will be out on May 1:
Developing Mortal Kombat for PS Vita was an incredibly rewarding experience for the team here at NetherRealm Studios. The ability to utilize the numerous new features available on PS Vita was a very gratifying mission, and we are delivering the best possible on-the-go fighting experience for fans.

Our design team jumped at the opportunity to devise 150 new Challenge Tower missions that incorporate the DLC characters (like Freddy Krueger!), while also integrating the front touchscreen and accelerometer in ways that made sense and enhanced the complete Mortal Kombat experience.

The artists enjoyed creating some excellent new costumes (still to be revealed!), as well as re-creating an iconic MKII arena that integrates the rear camera that will give players the ability to literally Fight Anywhere.

Our programmers worked diligently to make sure the players’ experience of Mortal Kombat on PS Vita was pristine and up to NetherRealm standards: fine tuning controls (while adding new controls, such as touchcreen Fatalities and X-Rays!) and displaying gameplay at a smooth 60 frames per second.

With all of these features, two new exclusive modes (Test Your Balance and Test Your Slice) and both ad-hoc (local) and WiFi (intrastructure) Versus mode options, we had an amazing time this past weekend at PAX East 2012 showing Mortal Kombat for PS Vita to fans. We had quite a few fans come back and bring their friends to show them the new features—and to challenge them to some old-fashioned 1 vs 1 Kombat. It definitely made all of the work and love we put into this version of Mortal Kombat worth it.

This new trailer definitely captures the spirit of what we were trying to do with Mortal Kombat for PS Vita. Give it a watch and let us know what you think in the comments!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT6puqo_g8M

[quote name='blueweltall']How am I suppose to do the FW 1.66 update if I keep getting the C3-12077-7 message?[/QUOTE]

I kept getting that as well until I re-booted the system. I think I still had games open in memory when I was trying to update and it did not like that.

Picked up Pinball Arcade last night and it seems to live up to my expectations. I will be getting Zen Pinball 2 as well, but if you have played and enjoyed the Hall of Fame Pinball collections this is on par with that. Nice addition to the Vita line-up. Vertical play works, but can only be controlled by touch, would have liked to have seen the use of back touch here. Maybe they will patch in some additional control options and camera angles, but for $10 across 4 great tables I am pleased.

[quote name='bmachine']So, I was playing this last night and it looks like you can only play five 1-minute games before it locks you out. You can refill your plays for $0.99 or wait some undisclosed period of time before attempting to play again.

Kind of a bullshit sales model, I think. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Ewwwww, that's disgusting - a perpetual digital rental? I haven't had a chance to play it much at all, but forget that. Right into the delete pile, then.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/4/11/2941759/frosbisher-says-paint-park-coming-to-vita-for-free

There are two free apps coming sometime soon to NA. Frobisher Says is a mini-game app and Paint Park is a drawing app that also has a multiplayer mode.[/QUOTE]Freakin' sweet!
I've been wanting to play Frobisher's Says for a while. Nice that it's going to be free.

[quote name='mykevermin']Ewwwww, that's disgusting - a perpetual digital rental? I haven't had a chance to play it much at all, but forget that. Right into the delete pile, then.[/QUOTE]The hearts/plays refill pretty quickly.

[quote name='mkernan']Anywho.... firmware 1.67 is out. No idea what it does though.[/QUOTE]
Just fixes a bug in a Japanese loli game.
Update is optional.

[quote name='dallow']The hearts/plays refill pretty quickly.[/QUOTE]

1) I don't want to support in-app purchases/freemium games on any platform.
2) No trophies? fuck you.
3) Bejeweled clone? Been there, done that.

[quote name='mykevermin']1) I don't want to support in-app purchases/freemium games on any platform.
3) Bejeweled clone? Been there, done that.[/QUOTE]

I hate the in-game purchase model as well; would rather just pay for the game and be able to play it when I want.

But this is beyond a bejeweled clone; much more variety and great gameplay. You should just try Treasures 2 on PC, its a fantastic title. Treasures 3 has much shorter games, much more frantic and fast-paced, but I kind of prefer T2.

Having said all that, Blitz can be fun for the few minutes you play it (each game only lasts one minute, much too short IMO).

I'm hoping they port T2 or T3 over to the Vita; already have T2 for PSP, but it isn't compatible (yet).

As for other "bejeweled clones", all the Cradle games (Cradle of Rome, Persia, and Egypt) are fantastic, well beyond bejeweled in gameplay and variety.

Oh great. My Vita is arriving today and I just saw that the PSN is down. All. Freaking. Day.

Will I be able to do anything with my Vita with the network down? Or should I just wait until tomorrow to fire it up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you have to set it up for the first time using online? The only reason I remember is because there was that issue about not being able to sign in using your PSN and having to start as a guest first and then download the firmware update.

I don't think the update servers are down nor is just getting on PSN, which I'd guess are the important parts of that process. Everything else is supposed to be back on in a few hours, so the wait isn't that long to get everything else in order.

[quote name='mykevermin']1) I don't want to support in-app purchases/freemium games on any platform.
3) Bejeweled clone? Been there, done that.[/QUOTE]

Sad you think about a little free game like that. I don't mind and want more like this.

I play 2x a day and its addicting. Pay $0. Wow that's amazing. I have like 2-3 friends that keep trying to beat me and I beat them so its a nice challenge.

For free, I welcome these experiences. Hey if you want to play for hours on end, pay up. For me to play a few times a day and pay nothing. Bring it. Complaining about trophies is ridiculous. I guess you play the shit out of the welcome pack BC they offer free trophies, right? :roll:

Edit: oh and don't forget the free scratch card a day. Pay $0 and I must of got $10+ in credits/gems already. Yup keep the drama going where there is no drama.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-and-wake-up-club-coming-to-ps-vita-for-free/

Three new free apps, Paint Park, Treasure Park, and Wake up Club are on the way with Paint Park coming out tomorrow, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's out with today's update since this is just a repost of an article on the EU blog. Paint Park is the drawing app I mentioned earlier with a multiplayer mode. Treasure Park is a puzzle app that lets you make puzzles to send to friends and it seems like a kind of take on Minesweeper. Wake Up Club is an alarm app that has some connectivity with others that set their alarms for the same time and it'll keep stats for you.

Can someone tell me how to watch youtube on the vita? When I go to youtube.com and try to play videos it keeps saying the Vita cant play them because it doesn't support flash?

bread's done
Back