The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

I officially nominate Beowulf for GOTY, thanks to it I've ended up with:

PS3 80gb
R&C Future
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Collectors
Uncharted
and
Resistance

for about $70 out of pocket and a few of my own games (literally 3)

I've gotten 9 Beowulf PS3 total from Best Buy and 1 Xbox 360 version.
All with coupon or reward zone dollars.
$100 spent, plus $12 on two Tiger woods 06 on clearance at Sears.
Was able to get 3 halo 3's and flip all at 3 gamestops.
One even had a used Beowulf which i grabbed for $16 using credit.

Current stake.
Blockbuster credit $100
Gamestop $100
Nintendo DS lite $129(surprise gift for step daughter)
Beowulf(to trade tonight at a 5th blockbuster) $36

$120 cash(the cost of a Ds Lite) kunai'd into $365.
Not the king but productive for my first time doing this.
Can't wait for Sunday and load up on Monster Madness at CC.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']Where is it $8?[/QUOTE]

Circuit City, starting Sunday; its in the ad.

Current BB/GR trade-in value is $28.50, which may or may not change Tues.

[quote name='noone13']Does anyone know if Best Buy will PM the CC sale on these games? I don't have a CC anywhere near me.[/quote]
they will, just bring the ad or have em call

[quote name='noone13']Does anyone know if Best Buy will PM the CC sale on these games? I don't have a CC anywhere near me.[/QUOTE]

As long as its printed in the CC ad and you bring the ad in to Best Buy, they ought to.

Where in the ad does it have Monster Madness for 8 dollars. I cant seem to find it anywhere. I could just be retarded though who knows. Help

I pushed the envelope, after grabbing 5 Monster Madness's and 3 Call of Juarz at CC today for future flipping on Sunday I went to regular Blockbuster i go to.
Two girls working I haven't trade with.
I had my last Beowulf in the car, so I grab it and one each of the other two games. She rings up my credit, 36, 28.50, and 15.
I walk away to chase my kids. She follows me with Beowulf and tells me I can't trade that game anymore, I've traded 3 of them already. ok.
Grab some candy and a movie for the kids.
When i check out she tells me she's put a warning on my account and flagged a couple other games I've traded.
I tell they are all my games I have bought to play or traded for from friends.
She says someone could get fired for taking in so many copies of same game.
I didn't want to push it by telling her i'd like a DS lite with my credit. I'll get one later.
I'm afraid I may have flagged myself out of trading in Call of Juarz and Monster Madness, but this account has my wife as the primary holder.
A different Blockbuster had me open an account with just me on it, so I assume that one isn't flagged. I'll find out tonight :)
No more Beowulf for me.
Lesson learned: Spread the games out, drive the extra couple miles.
A wise man once said...."DOH!"

How are ppl getting PS3's from Beowulf. I think I understand it, can someone explain and also my GR will only except 1 copy.. is that normal. Also where is the coupon for $10 Beowulfs at BB.

[quote name='T3ntman']How are ppl getting PS3's from Beowulf. I think I understand it, can someone explain and also my GR will only except 1 copy.. is that normal. Also where is the coupon for $10 Beowulfs at BB.[/QUOTE]

$10 off any PS3 title at Best Buy, coupon is in 'best buy coupon compilation' thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160396

People are getting Beowulf (either $10 after coupon at Best Buy or just paying the $20 it normally costs, or getting it used at GS) and then trading them in to Blockbuster/Gamerush for $36 in trade-in credit. Just do one at every location near you per day (or two if allowed) and you'll build up credit on a 'value card' (or two or three of them - limit $500 i think). Do it enough times, and use the credit to buy something. BB/GR only update prices and trade-in values on tuesdays, so this will work through the close of business Monday night at the least. If done well, you're basically getting games (or systems, accessories) at half price or less, not including your time and gas spent.

[quote name='T3ntman']How are ppl getting PS3's from Beowulf. I think I understand it, can someone explain and also my GR will only except 1 copy.. is that normal. Also where is the coupon for $10 Beowulfs at BB.[/quote]
I'm down to one copy per title at my blockbusters now too, i hope.
Still with 5 stores around should be able to trade plenty.

Got 8 of 9 Beowulfs from Best Buys using coupon.

I guess the girl at Blockbuster would be really mad with me if she knew I don't even own a PS3!

how are ppl getting the coupons to work. snipping off the bottom under the expires part. or are they printing off 8 coupons if theyre getting 8 beowulfs.

[quote name='T3ntman']how are ppl getting the coupons to work. snipping off the bottom under the expires part. or are they printing off 8 coupons if theyre getting 8 beowulfs.[/quote]
One time i brought up 3 copies of game with 3 full coupons. Asked the guy to ring up seperately. He did one, then put the last two together. Was more helpful then the girl from Blockbuster.

Ok guys sorry about the noob post beforehand,Im new to this flipping stuff at gamerush/bb so be easy.I went into my local Blockbuster which didnt have a game rush today,the clerk hadnt done too many of these game exchanges,so she called the manager and I got the $36 credit for beowulf.Now heres the deal ,the manager gave me a gift card for blockbuster and I told him can I use this credit for gamestop or any other affiliate ? he said "no"..That I can use the card to buy instore movies and used games. Seems like they didnt know what they were doing..I have readl the posts on here and everyone refers to sometype of card with credit that they can use at gamestop right? Well is this gift card it?Sorry for the dumb question.. and thanks for the help..

[quote name='boli']Ok guys sorry about the noob post beforehand,Im new to this flipping stuff at gamerush/bb so be easy.I went into my local Blockbuster which didnt have a game rush today,the clerk hadnt done too many of these game exchanges,so she called the manager and I got the $36 credit for beowulf.Now heres the deal ,the manager gave me a gift card for blockbuster and I told him can I use this credit for gamestop or any other affiliate ? he said "no"..That I can use the card to buy instore movies and used games. Seems like they didnt know what they were doing..I have readl the posts on here and everyone refers to sometype of card with credit that they can use at gamestop right? Well is this gift card it?Sorry for the dumb question.. and thanks for the help..[/quote]

No.

People, like myself, are using the Blockbuster credit to purchase games (Halo 3, for example) that have high trade value at Gamestop and trading them in at Gamestop for credit.

to my understanding, you buy copies of halo 3 for 44 and trade them into GS/EB for 40% extra trade in so you get 49 and it converts your GR money into GS/EB money.

[quote name='boli']Now heres the deal ,the manager gave me a gift card for blockbuster and I told him can I use this credit for gamestop or any other affiliate ? he said "no"..That I can use the card to buy instore movies and used games. Seems like they didnt know what they were doing..I have readl the posts on here and everyone refers to sometype of card with credit that they can use at gamestop right? [/quote]

Wow. Just... wow. That was epic. :lol:

[quote name='boli']Ok guys sorry about the noob post beforehand,Im new to this flipping stuff at gamerush/bb so be easy.I went into my local Blockbuster which didnt have a game rush today,the clerk hadnt done too many of these game exchanges,so she called the manager and I got the $36 credit for beowulf.Now heres the deal ,the manager gave me a gift card for blockbuster and I told him can I use this credit for gamestop or any other affiliate ? he said "no"..That I can use the card to buy instore movies and used games. Seems like they didnt know what they were doing..I have readl the posts on here and everyone refers to sometype of card with credit that they can use at gamestop right? Well is this gift card it?Sorry for the dumb question.. and thanks for the help..[/quote]
It should be on a 'value card', which is good for anything at all Blockbusters and GameRUSH'S, not gameSTOP.
Except the one on Fisher Blvd, TR, NJ. That dumb girl will haunt me. :bomb:

Don't worry your gift card will work at Gamestop that employee you talked to was retarded. Please go to Gamestop and use it now just to prove him wrong. Please come back and post about your Gamestop visit and let us know what you bought with your gift card from trading at Blockbuster. :D

:dunce:
why would you even think you could do that?

[quote name='djkunai']Wow. Just... wow. That was epic. :lol:[/quote]

lol damn i feel like a noob.. =/

So i take it when people say thyre buying nintendos or ps3's thyre buying them from the actual gamerush store .I wasnt aware that b/b or gamerush sold games or systems..

[quote name='boli']lol damn i feel like a noob.. =/

So i take it when people say thyre buying nintendos or ps3's thyre buying them from the actual gamerush store .I wasnt aware that b/b or gamerush sold games or systems..[/quote]
Yea you are pretty dumb.... :lol: joking

GR stores carry systems, BB stores do not. Most of us are using Halo 3 (45 at GR) to transfer our credit to GS since it brings $49 after Edge card and now expired 30% coupon. Coupon comes back alive next week though. :D

[quote name='boli']lol damn i feel like a noob.. =/

So i take it when people say thyre buying nintendos or ps3's thyre buying them from the actual gamerush store .I wasnt aware that b/b or gamerush sold games or systems..[/quote]

Some do, some don't. My local store only sells games, but not systems.

[quote name='$hady']Yea you are pretty dumb.... :lol: joking

GR stores carry systems, BB stores do not. Most of us are using Halo 3 (45 at GR) to transfer our credit to GS since it brings $49 after Edge card and now expired 30% coupon. Coupon comes back alive next week though. :D[/quote]

Thanks for your help and humor =)
So I take it I should wait until next week when that coupon comes out to trade in my halo copies?

[quote name='stone1061']Obiviously the Blockbusters track the games traded into THEIR store by account, ARE THEY ABLE TO SEE WHAT I TRADED INTO OTHER STORES?[/quote]
NO IT'S A STORE BY STORE THING UNLESS THEY GET TO THINKING YOU SHADY AND DECIDE TO CALL ANOTHER STORE AND CHECK. I HEAR THEY ALSO WILL CHECK IF YOU YELL ALOT ON FORUM POSTS! :D

[quote name='boli']Thanks for your help and humor =)
So I take it I should wait until next week when that coupon comes out to trade in my halo copies?[/quote]
Yes unless $38.50 is better than $49 in your eyes. This is assuming you have an Edge card and that the $35 trade in value holds of course.

30% coupon we talking about which Bretts already posted in this thread.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163810

[quote name='$hady']NO IT'S A STORE BY STORE THING UNLESS THEY GET TO THINKING YOU SHADY AND DECIDE TO CALL ANOTHER STORE AND CHECK. I HEAR THEY ALSO WILL CHECK IF YOU YELL ALOT ON FORUM POSTS! :D

Yes unless $38.50 is better than $49 in your eyes. This is assuming you have an Edge card and that the $35 trade in value holds of course.

30% coupon we talking about which Bretts already posted in this thread.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163810[/quote]

Well, i've mapped out 4 blockbusters that should'nt have the warning on it. All on my way to work, kinda. Or better yet, go to work, punch in, then take an hour lunch to flip. 2 gamestops in between the 3 of the blockbusters.

[quote name='stone1061']Well, i've mapped out 4 blockbusters that should'nt have the warning on it. All on my way to work, kinda. Or better yet, go to work, punch in, then take an hour lunch to flip. 2 gamestops in between the 3 of the blockbusters.[/quote]
I forgot you were the guy who got flagged.... If you get flagged all bets are off it just depends on how much of a dick the person is. Some people have got single or a couple store ban. If they contact a district manager they can shut you down at all the stores in their region. :bomb:

The early days of Gamerush saw alot more banning as most of that talk disappeared until recently with Darkness, Beowulf and etc prices lasting to long and so many flippers. This thread gets alot of activity and you know for every post of someone saying I did this you've got 2 more who don't post doing the same thing.... That being said doesn't this thread belong in deal discussion? It's been along time since this ever contained an actual deal the only thing that ever goes on here is how we can rape GR to make our own deals. Plus it'd get alot less traffic. :D

My GR has the PS3 bundle that's been talked about here lately. Pretty cool if you have credit to use and don't already use blockbuster online to rent dvds and don't have a PS3 already. Man, that's alot of conditions! Anyway, I'm glad they showed some progress in what products they get to sell. Another thing I noticed was they have a flyer that's taped to a door as you walk in that shows how many of each piece of electronics they have for sale. For example, PS3- 5 left, 360- 4 left, Flip video cameras- 3 left, PSP- 1 left... The amount left is hand written but the product catergory is computer printed. Have you guys seen this in your local stores? Traded in 2 more Beowulf PS3 today and got Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga for the Wii. They had just received 1 copy of Unreal Tournament (PS3) for sale but I passed on it. They also got Rock Band for PS2. Game only of course. Does it come in a bundle with the instruments?

I just looked at GS's site and it says that PS2 Rock Band isn't released until 12/18! Nice that this GR got it early. Wonder if the GH 1 guitar for PS2 works with it?

Can I trade in 4 or 5 copies of Halo 3 to a GS/EB?? I just dont want to put all my GR money into Halo 3s and find out that GS wont take more than 2 or 3.

[quote name='T3ntman']Can I trade in 4 or 5 copies of Halo 3 to a GS/EB?? I just dont want to put all my GR money into Halo 3s and find out that GS wont take more than 2 or 3.[/quote]

Seeing as how the coupon for %30 extra is now expired (until the 18th-21st kicks in), it wouldn't really be worth it to trade Halo 3 in at the moment.
As for trading in 4-5 copies, SPREAD THE WEALTH. Don't be lazy and try to trade in all of your copies at one store. Not only will they refuse to take your copies, but you might also get a visit from Mr. Police Officer because they think you're trying to trade hot games.

I can say that Blockbuster is being assholes about this.

Im a blockbuster employee and my friend tried to trade in like 6 Beowulfs, hes been flagged and its not coming off, and i cant buy either. Just plane stupid, I get the fun of talking to my district manager tomorrow and hopefully rip her a new one for the way we were treated.

[quote name='T3ntman']Can I trade in 4 or 5 copies of Halo 3 to a GS/EB?? I just dont want to put all my GR money into Halo 3s and find out that GS wont take more than 2 or 3.[/QUOTE]

Just buy the HALO 3 copies and hang on to the bloody receipt. If you decide that the trades arent worth it, go return the copies of HALO 3 to blockbuster. You have 30 days to return used games at blockbuster.

On another note, I was puttering around today stringing a few more beowulf trades, cleaned out the santa ana gamestop on glassell of their xbox360 copies and their ps3 copies (and used the 10% off coupon, cha-ching). Went to trade in at the santa ana blockbuster on tustin, friendly clerk allowed me to trade 2 PS3 copies and an xbox360 copy in one transaction. Drove back to the tustin/katella gamestop to return&rebuy 2 copies each (PS3/xbox360) using the 10% off coupon (saved me $8). Went to the chapman blockbuster traded in a pair of beowulfs, noticed they had a pink DS (if anyone wants it, I didnt know if it was worth trying to resell it, its the chapman ave/22 fwy one). Only have a pair left to trade then I am out of stock. Seen lots of rockband and guitar hero 3 for all systems (PS3, xbox360, ps2) at the gamestops and blockbusters. No Wii to be had though. Will decide later what to do with my blockbuster credit appx 400 worth, with 60 left at GS (could flip more beowulfs tomorrow for 3x36 more blockbuster dollars).

Is the PS3 gonna have another price drop soon? I heard a rumor floating around that they were.

Im trying to do the beowulf and halo 3 thing. Im going to wait til the 18th til the 40% works again. Trading in 2 copies isnt suspicious is it.

So are all the GR's you guys visiting stocked with electronics besides consoles? LIke the Flip Video camera and Disney DVD players with lcd screens?

[quote name='eraser813']So are all the GR's you guys visiting stocked with electronics besides consoles? LIke the Flip Video camera and Disney DVD players with lcd screens?[/quote]

Mine are.

[quote name='eraser813']So are all the GR's you guys visiting stocked with electronics besides consoles? LIke the Flip Video camera and Disney DVD players with lcd screens?[/quote]

Not that I have seen, but that doesn't mean I haven't overlooked them.

[quote name='nakanenui']
On another note, I was puttering around today stringing a few more beowulf trades, cleaned out the santa ana gamestop on glassell of their xbox360 copies and their ps3 copies (and used the 10% off coupon, cha-ching). .[/quote]

Which coupon do you use for the beowulf at gamestop? I used the %10 at Bestbuy and thyre allmost all out of Beowulfs around here where I live.With the coupon its 9.99 at Bestbuy.

Well, I managed to trade in another PS3 version of Bewulf (bought for $10 at BB). I only flipped TWO copies, so I don't feel that dishonest. I even had a co-worker flip one as he bought his son a DS.

hey guys i'm new to the flipping and just to be on the safe side i just had a couple of questions, first off i was wondering what is the safest number of copies to trade in at a given time? is 3 pushing it? also i heard from a friend that if the blockbuster doesn't have a gamerush attached to it then you can't trade in games is that true or is that YMMV? i just don't feel like getting stuck with copies of games

You can trade games into any blockbuster, whether it's a GameRush or not. The Trade-in values are the same and it's 2 copies (some stores might only let you trade in 1) per store. And make sure you open them before you trade them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back