The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='boli']Which coupon do you use for the beowulf at gamestop? I used the %10 at Bestbuy and thyre allmost all out of Beowulfs around here where I live.With the coupon its 9.99 at Bestbuy.[/QUOTE]

I am using the 10% off of new games at gamestop. The coupon you are refering to is the $10 off a ps3 game at bestbuy. It is in the gamestop combined thread, it is linked in many posts in this thread. or check your email from gamestop.

I got the email with the bonus 30% coupon from gamestop. hope halo 3 value stays at 35. Next step is a cheap edge card (free/cheap if I trade a bunch of stuff with the bonus 10% edge, 20% preorder, and 30% coupon). Am I right in seeing that if those bonuses stack, its 60% on top of the trade?

[quote name='FuelDigga']hey guys i'm new to the flipping and just to be on the safe side i just had a couple of questions, first off i was wondering what is the safest number of copies to trade in at a given time? is 3 pushing it? also i heard from a friend that if the blockbuster doesn't have a gamerush attached to it then you can't trade in games is that true or is that YMMV? i just don't feel like getting stuck with copies of games[/QUOTE]

As I know it, all corporate owned blockbusters take in game trades, and give the same trade values. Some states give trades+tax back. CA does not. Try trading a bunch of games at a time, no more than 1 copy of a game per system. Then try again another day until they say you need to stop. It doesnt say in the trade agreement that I just signed, but the first one I did sign when gamerush started, noted that you could only trade in 2 copies of a game per system per day. If it doesnt say so in the rules, it might be worth it to challenge them to provide written policy.

And the blockbusters are linked to each other. It is easy to find out what you are doing at all the stores in your district. Like others have said, once the district manager (DM) bans you, its time to take your credit (value card) to another store in the next closest disctrict. Try not to get banned by the regional manager (RM) though, or you might need to visit a store in another state.

edited to add: it is not automatic, but for them to link up, the stores can push your info via corporate. I am still waiting for my trade account summary that I requested over a year ago.

Also, on a side note....they had ROCK BAND for the PS3 at my store...it was tempting, but I did not want to blow all my credit for something i would not play much

So I went to trade in my last copy of Beowulf and lo and behold my "Account has been Frozen." I had all of my trades put onto various gift cards so I don't know if this means that the gift cards are frozen or if the amount on the gift cards is linked to my account and thus frozen. If someone could explain that would be great. Apparently my downfall was that two employees that I traded to at separate times of day actually talked to each other and they researched my history and saw the Beowulf activity and thus my account was "Frozen." Once again I don't know what it means, but as long as I get to spend my store credit eventually that is fine.

Well, if the TIV for Beowulf holds this week upcoming, I'm going to do enough flipping to get myself in position to pick up an Xbox Elite, a Wii, and probably a slim PSP.

I figure between the game exchanges and the TIV I'll get for the 360 and PSP I already have, I won't have to do too much more flipping until I can afford to get these new systems. I've found a couple of regular Blockbuster stores in cities near where I live and between them they have about 12 copies of used Halo 3. It's really like hitting the motherlode.

I also have 3 account cards (had them for years. I didn't realize initially that I could just use one account card in any store for movie rentals, so before it was pointed out to me, I had picked up 3 different account cards from 3 different stores) so I can literally trade 3 times in a single store each day (if need be) as long as I hit different shifts with different employees. I also might pick up enough trade credit to get another DS Lite, but if I don't, I don't. Thank goodness for the 30% (really 40% with edge card) TIV bonus for the upcoming end of the week. I'll make serious progress those days!

I will have to go check out the local stores for decent used games I can flip. The one closest to me didn't know that they did trade in video games and had to ask the manager which is a plus for me, but there selection is awful. So I might have to "shop" around to find something decent.

So GC matched trade in values for two Beo's, and I got $70 in credit, less $2 in credit for a GBA e-Reader (nice!), plus $44 credit from earlier in the week = $110 gift card.

I might drop by tomorrow morning and pick them back up, then trade them at the other GC XD

[quote name='Killdozer']Yeah I don't know what I have.[/quote]

VC's should not be linked. They can stop you from trading, but not from spending your credit.

Just picked up 9 Monster Madness from 2 Best Buys, and counted 11 copies at 1 CC. Serious kunaiing to be done on Sunday (especially since there are 2 more CC nearby and 1 more Best Buy).

[quote name='djkunai']Just picked up 9 Monster Madness from 2 Best Buys, and counted 11 copies at 1 CC. Serious kunaiing to be done on Sunday (especially since there are 2 more CC nearby and 1 more Best Buy).[/quote]

You're a sick sick basterd, you know that?

I'm grabbing as many as I can, too. Hopefully my GC sources will continue to match. Bitchin'.

Best Buy's pricematch guarantee works for online orders picked up in store too, right?

[quote name='djkunai']Just picked up 9 Monster Madness from 2 Best Buys, and counted 11 copies at 1 CC. Serious kunaiing to be done on Sunday (especially since there are 2 more CC nearby and 1 more Best Buy).[/QUOTE]

You know, this whole thing is starting to get disgusting. I mean seriously.

[quote name='djkunai']Just picked up 9 Monster Madness from 2 Best Buys, and counted 11 copies at 1 CC. Serious kunaiing to be done on Sunday (especially since there are 2 more CC nearby and 1 more Best Buy).[/QUOTE]

8 cash to 28 credit, woohoo boy thats crazy cheap gaming.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']VC's should not be linked. They can stop you from trading, but not from spending your credit.[/QUOTE]
That would be great if it holds true.

Man, $8 to $28 is a great deal. I know where i'm going to be Sunday morning...

I'm going to blockbuster first thing tomorrow, so ill find out the current values of Red Steel & Call of Juarez.

Wait so kunai are u getting a price match on the monster madness? If so where the hell did u get the ad? I only saw the announcement of the pricing in the other thread not an actual ad copy.

I believe the policy is that as long as you bring in any proof within the next 7 or 30 days, they will refund you the difference. I would do the same thing, but i'd rather just make one trip and have it done with rather than going to the mall twice in a weekend (especially during the 2nd to last weekend before christmas)

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']So GC matched trade in values for two Beo's, and I got $70 in credit, less $2 in credit for a GBA e-Reader (nice!), plus $44 credit from earlier in the week = $110 gift card.

I might drop by tomorrow morning and pick them back up, then trade them at the other GC XD[/QUOTE]

You know, after being the one who trumpeted Gamecrazy's trade-in price match guarantee, I'm really down on the whole GC experience. I've had problems with them in the past in that they seem to hire holier-than-thou gamer geek slobs (no offense to any GC-employed CAGs, it is just a general impression and of course there are exceptions) as opposed to Blockbuster which has a more diverse employee population.

I was turned down the other day and they said they only price match ADS for new games (like from Best Buy or CC) - hey, I should test them on the Monster Madness/Juarez thing. But I just know that if I haul myself all the way over there they will tell me a different thing once I come in with the ad :roll:.

So today I went to another GC and it went something like this:
Me: "Hey. I heard you guys price match trade-ins? I have this trade quote from Blockbuster and wanted to trade this game". (So as not to set off alarms I only brought ONE 360 Beowulf in)
Slacker dude: "Yeah, I don't know. Let me see that"...
Slacker dude: "Wow, this only trades for $6, there's no way we can match that. We're not allowed to manually adjust trade-in values".
(So ,again, like the other day, are they not supposed to match AT ALL, or just because they didn't like the difference in prices??)
Me: "I thought you had a trade-in price match guarantee policy?"
Slacker dude: "Yeah, we used to a long time ago I think but not any more".

Oh well, whatever... I can't believe you guys are able to get it done so easily especially with the HUGE price difference. I would think even with the guarantee they'd have a hard time raising the trade-in above what they sell it for. I mean, Blockbuster doesn't even do that with their guarantee (it maxes out at the selling price).

Anyway, just like the other day it actually worked out a bit in my favor. I went to the Blockbuster down the street and they had no problem taking the games. To top it all off, instead of messing with the Value Card I asked to have it put on the account and then on a gift card. I ended up getting the $5 bonus gift card for putting $50 (or more) on a card. Nice! The employee there was more than happy to do it because, apparently, they get some sort of points reward for selling gift cards. That's the first I ever heard of that.

So I was still stuck with one more set, though, thanks to the crappy Gamecrazy. I found an out of the way Blockbuster I hadn't traded at in over a year. When they pulled up my account they said my trade account was inactive, so I had to sign up again. It took the guy forever. I mentioned to him (a mistake, probably) that I had the same thing happen at another store the other day and so they must deactivate trade accounts that haven't been used in a while. He then signed me back up but then said he'd be right back, he had to do something in the back. This alarmed me as he went away for quite a while. Then he came back and asked wierd questions like - did the other store not let me trade my games? I don't know if he went back there to call around or what, but in the end he processed the trades and put them on a gift card (no $5 bonus this time because he said, correctly I presume, that it is only for purchases). Anyway, that is my last set and I am DONE DONE DONE with this mess. I hope that he was just being wierd and wasn't up to something though.

On a completely separate topic, I did notice that the first Blockbuster had the sign up for the PS3 bundle. Interesting - if I had more credit I'd consider it, but believe it or not, I'm nowhere near the $600 for that - I have about $300 tops...

whats the trade in value of call of juarez?? as i might have to pick some up for $8 if the trade in value is still $35.

[quote name='T3ntman']whats the trade in value of call of juarez?? as i might have to pick some up for $8 if the trade in value is still $35.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure it's only $15, as mine sells CoJ for $25. Your best bet is to go with Monster Madness

[quote name='T3ntman']whats the trade in value of call of juarez?? as i might have to pick some up for $8 if the trade in value is still $35.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we had a couple of people report it as $15 a while back. Is it not in the Wiki that way? I had been leaving that to djkunai to update, but, well, you know he's too busy now for that ;). I'll fix it now.

D'oh! Monster Madness is not in there either - now added...

[quote name='io']Yeah, we had a couple of people report it as $15 a while back. Is it not in the Wiki that way? I had been leaving that to djkunai to update, but, well, you know he's too busy now for that ;). I'll fix it now.

D'oh! Monster Madness is not in there either - now added...[/quote]
Might as well add R6 Vegas (360) to. $19

Here are prices as of today:

Beowulf - $35 or 36
Monster Madness - $28.50
Red Steel - $16
Call of Juarez - $15

While the profit on CoJ & RS arent as great as the 350% for MM, a 200% bonus is great if your stores run out of MM's.

*EDIT*

Just a heads up, Sears.com has a store locator with stock for Monster Madness. Also, their pricematching policy is 110% standard. As they sell MM for $49.99, that means that after they take off the 10% difference, the game will be only $3.90 (700% profit!!!). I know where i'm going first...

What day does Blockbuster /Game Rush Update their systems? I thought I remembered reading that they update it on a specific day of the week : Anyone know?

[quote name='Bezerker']Here are prices as of today:

Beowulf - $35 or 36
Monster Madness - $28.50
Red Steel - $16
Call of Juarez - $15

While the profit on CoJ & RS arent as great as the 350% for MM, a 200% bonus is great if your stores run out of MM's.

*EDIT*

Just a heads up, Sears.com has a store locator with stock for Monster Madness. Also, their pricematching policy is 110% standard. As they sell MM for $49.99, that means that after they take off the 10% difference, the game will be only $3.90 (700% profit!!!). I know where i'm going first...[/QUOTE]

That's my plans this week.. get Sears pricematch with CC ad. If not i'll buy few copies at BB & turn out to customer service for extra 10% off guarantee :)

[quote name='Masterkyo']That's my plans this week.. get Sears pricematch with CC ad. If not i'll buy few copies at BB & turn out to customer service for extra 10% off guarantee :)[/QUOTE]
That makes two of us. I don't think anyone ever buys games at our Sears.

I hate asking this because I'm sure it's been said TONS but,

Where can I get Beowulf cheapest? What about Monster Madness?

[quote name='Hair6a11']What day does Blockbuster /Game Rush Update their systems? I thought I remembered reading that they update it on a specific day of the week : Anyone know?[/QUOTE]

It would be on Tuesdays my good friend.

[quote name='V-G']I hate asking this because I'm sure it's been said TONS but,

Where can I get Beowulf cheapest? What about Monster Madness?[/QUOTE]

You could do these to get what you are looking for:

1. Beowulf is $20 everywhere but you can get the PS3 version for $10 if you use a coupon floating around for Bestbuy but it is YMMV because you aren't suppose to use copies of the coupon plus it is only one game per coupon.

2. Monster Madness will be on sale next week at Circuit City for $7.99 so these would be your cheapest bets.

I just realized if you can get Monster Madness that's like a 20 buck profit for every copy. I was already going to CC tomorrow so I might have to pick up all the copies they have. I wonder if I went to Sears or Bestbuy today with tomorrow's ad would they let me PM?

[quote name='cdeener']It would be on Tuesdays my good friend.

You could do these to get what you are looking for:

1. Beowulf is $20 everywhere but you can get the PS3 version for $10 if you use a coupon floating around for Bestbuy but it is YMMV because you aren't suppose to use copies.

2. Monster Madness will be on sale next week at Circuit City for $7.99 so these would be your cheapest bets.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate It!

Beowulf - $35 or 36
Monster Madness - $28.50
Red Steel - $16
Call of Juarez - $15

*EDIT*

Just a heads up, Sears.com has a store locator with stock for Monster Madness. Also, their pricematching policy is 110% standard. As they sell MM for $49.99, that means that after they take off the 10% difference, the game will be only $3.90 (700% profit!!!). I know where i'm going first...[/QUOTE]

Now, you just going overboard. I'm luck just to get a PM let alone the difference.

Beowulf - $35 or 36
Monster Madness - $28.50
Red Steel - $16
Call of Juarez - $15

*EDIT*

Just a heads up, Sears.com has a store locator with stock for Monster Madness. Also, their pricematching policy is 110% standard. As they sell MM for $49.99, that means that after they take off the 10% difference, the game will be only $3.90 (700% profit!!!). I know where i'm going first...[/quote]

I'll be at sears sunday morning. Thanks!

[quote name='Bezerker']

*EDIT*

Just a heads up, Sears.com has a store locator with stock for Monster Madness. Also, their pricematching policy is 110% standard. As they sell MM for $49.99, that means that after they take off the 10% difference, the game will be only $3.90 (700% profit!!!). I know where i'm going first...[/quote]

$4 --> $28 is absolutely insane. I almost wish I wouldn't have spent money n Beowolf and just did this a few times instead.

On an unrelated note, I stopped in at the GameRush in my hometown(Canton,MI) today after being away at school, and they've revamped their entire GameRush section. New displays, clearing out all the old-gen stuff, and have what seems to be a bigger variety of everything. Also, for anyone who cares they had like 8 of those ps3 bundles just chilling out for sale along with about 5 copies of Rock Band ps3.

It seems that all of the regular BB's by me have gotten in 5 of those PS3 bundles per store. From what I was told by my friend who works at the one i go to, corporate is really pushing for PS3 & Blu-Ray support, theres also a possibility they may soon be selling Ipods (for whatever reason theyre already selling Ipod chargers, FM transmitters, etc). While i'm not an ipod supporter (Zune ftw), it would be nice to have another ebay friendly product to be able to spend credit on.

I'm hoping Gamerush gets some Wii's in tomorrow. With the Sears MM flips, a Wii would only end up being $40 total.

[quote name='Bezerker']It seems that all of the regular BB's by me have gotten in 5 of those PS3 bundles per store. From what I was told by my friend who works at the one i go to, corporate is really pushing for PS3 & Blu-Ray support, theres also a possibility they may soon be selling Ipods (for whatever reason theyre already selling Ipod chargers, FM transmitters, etc). While i'm not an ipod supporter (Zune ftw), it would be nice to have another ebay friendly product to be able to spend credit on.

I'm hoping Gamerush gets some Wii's in tomorrow. With the Sears MM flips, a Wii would only end up being $40 total.[/quote]

You'll start to see Blockbuster carrying all sorts of gizmos and doodads soon. We've got a new CEO who has a very "retail oriented" business mindset and is quick to take action. So your credit will start being useful for things other than rentals and used games (ipods, consoles, handhelds, cell phones, video cameras, set top players, in store downloads of god knows what, etc.).

PS- I'll be out of town all next week so I'm gonna miss out on Monster Madness :cry: . Probably for the best though.

[quote name='Warner1281']You'll start to see Blockbuster carrying all sorts of gizmos and doodads soon. We've got a new CEO who has a very "retail oriented" business mindset and is quick to take action. So your credit will start being useful for things other than rentals and used games (ipods, consoles, handhelds, cell phones, video cameras, set top players, in store downloads of god knows what, etc.).

PS- I'll be out of town all next week so I'm gonna miss out on Monster Madness :cry: . Probably for the best though.[/quote]

Great, so BB is going the TRU route now.

Now I can get LCD TVs, picture frames, GPS, printers and dog toys at Toys R Us! Alright! ;)

If you price match a store like Sears or Wal-Mart, can you buy more than one copy of a game? I just see a lot of people going to Sears tommorrow morning. Seems like a lot of work for $24 in credit

[quote name='Bezerker']
looks like bestbuy has the same pm policy. bestbuy sells it for 39.99 so after 10% difference it comes out to $4.80. another store we can get fodder from.

[quote name='cdeener']It would be on Tuesdays my good friend.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, price changes go into affect on Sundays. Promotions and new programs go into affect on Tuesdays.

gonna take 2 Halo 3's to GS tomorrow. One question, tho. Do you have to actually print the coupon or can u just write down the promo number? If I have to print the coupon, i am pretty much screwed

[quote name='Segasonic01']gonna take 2 Halo 3's to GS tomorrow. One question, tho. Do you have to actually print the coupon or can u just write down the promo number? If I have to print the coupon, i am pretty much screwed[/QUOTE]

You have to have the coupon because they have to staple it to the receipt they keep. You can't use it until Tuesday anyway because it says that is good from 12/18 to 12/20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back