The "Recommend me games." thread. Let's get this to one star, people! We can do it!

Best bang for your buck VC games.. Hmmm.
Paper Mario, Sin & Punishment, Star Fox 64, and Super Mario 64 are my top favs for the N64. Mario Kart 64 is great too, but like others said, it's only great if you have some friends.

Adventures of Lolo 1 and 2, both $5 NES games, are long and pretty challenging puzzle games. Super Mario Bros 3 for $5 is amazing. Super Mario World for $8 is ALSO amazing. But on the topic of $8, I'm also going to have to recommend Super Metroid too!.....and Gunstar Heroes.

There's a lot of VC games that are great, plain and simple :lol:

Gunstar heroes and Starfox 64 are definite VC winners. Why buy a wii though just to play VC games? VC to me is a supplement, not the meat of the Wii (

Yeah the disappointing Wii graphics of madden games is what makes me get em on the 360 instead of the Wii. They really do like like cube or PS2 quality.

The motion stuff is fun, though it definitely takes some getting used to.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Mine either. Those kind of games just drive me straight to gamefaqs so I can move on rather than wandering aimlessly. So I just skip them.

Moot point in this case as I just don't like point and click adventure games, nor any game where you don't have full control of your character, attacks etc. at all times.

But Z&W is well reviewed, and a decent length game per these reviews, so definitely one for the OP to check out if he's into the genre.[/quote]

As a Z&W owner, I can safely say that wandering aimlessly is not what you will be doing. Each stage has a clear goal and most of the puzzles between you and that goal can be solved from visual cues or a little experimentation. And the game has an in-game helper called the oracle for if you get really stuck.

Basically, think of the puzzles in RE4, and then imagine their complete opposite. :)

On the VC front, multiplayer the best bang for your buck games are Bomberman '93 and either F-Zero X or Mario Kart 64 for the N64.

Single player depends a bit more on your personal preferences. For example, Shining Force was my best investment because I love turn-based strategy RPGs. Most of the recommendations so far are solid overall though.

I'm not sure I agree with the Star Fox 64 recommendation. Isn't that the one that takes about an hour to beat?

[quote name='pittpizza']I don't know.

By "player creation" you mean "superstar mode" right?[/QUOTE]

The last Madden I played extensively was Madden 97 on the Genesis, so I'm not sure. Whatever mode lets you create a custom character and take him through training, insert him into a team/season, etc.

08 has player "icons" for each big threat whether it be cannon arm for a QB or a boot for a K. It will also point out mismatches, which enhances and simplifies gameplay. The online is overall better (gets better every year), there is a trophy and points system so you can challenge your friends online over them. Overall 08 is a much slicker package.

[quote name='noahj']anything particularly good for a child about 5 years old that i could help play? something he could mostly play with occasional asistance?[/QUOTE]

most of the platformers, like mario 123 and donkey kong country 123 are good pick up and play games, maybe some of the shooters.

just avoid splatterhouse.

Shouldnt you add

Nitrokbike
Bust a Move (8 player.. quite fun)

I could have sworn batallion wars 2 dropped in price.. so maybe its better now? Coulda swore I read some BB dropped it to 29.99

And dragon blade dropped hella in price, it still blows.

[quote name='The Crotch']Didn't Bust a Move suck like fucking crazy?[/quote]

It sucks when theres only YOU playing it, but its a fun party game.

Better than that shit mario party

I thank everyone for the great responses and I have indeed made my mind up. I think I will go for these games:

Ghost Squad
Godfather
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I will wait on these:
Super Paper Mario
Zelda

If you have any more ideas, keep them coming. Not just for my benefit but for others.

Hey, can someone give me a review of Medal of Honor: Vanguard? Looks like it's not as good as Heroes 2, but has local multiplayer, and can be found in the ~$20 range. Basically, I'll be happy with any decent FPS, and I want to play one with Wii controls.

Crotch, is it your intention to only put *good* games in the OP, or reviews of any games? I again offer my review of Donkey Kong Barrel Blast: "Bongo-based game that doesn't support bongos."

Also, your review of Endless Ocean is a little harsh. It is a very unique an fun game, and judging from the huge threads here and at neoGAF, I'm not the only person who thinks that. I guess I would also add that I don't think that Lego Star Wars is just for kids, even if it is easy.

[quote name='greyweather']
I'm not sure I agree with the Star Fox 64 recommendation. Isn't that the one that takes about an hour to beat?[/quote]

It was short but not that short. And, like ghost squad (similar in that they're both "on rails") there are branching story arcs depending on the success or failure of some missions.

It was definitely one of my fav 64 games.

Glad to help OP, and I like your choices. PLEASE do yourself a favor and don't forget Metroid Corruption, it is hands down the best shooter on the Wii.

BTW I never played a RE game before in my life, ever. Maybe for a few hours at a friends house. But RE4 was one of my fav games on the Wii yet.

[quote name='maguszxz']I am liking the responses. I am curious about VC. I always wanted to play the Paper Mario series since N64. What other bang for your buck VC games are good.[/QUOTE]

Actraiser - Not overly long (maybe 8 hours for a full playthrough), but a good, fun mix of sim and action.
Super Metroid - Best Metroid game ever. Your first playthrough will take some time. Don't use a guide the first time!
Shining Force - A great early strategy RPG. Also available as an enhanced GBA port. Shining Force II is superior but not available. (Come on, Sega, take my money! :D)

Regarding Star Fox 64: The game itself is short, but is more about mastery of the stages, difficulties, and gold medals. If you like to master games, then Star Fox 64 is a great choice. If you just want to beat it, then it might not be for you. (It's actually kinda similar to Rez in this regard.)

And definitely get RE4 if you want a "budget" Wii game with legs. It feels more like a shooter and less like pure survival horror. And the Mercenaries mini-game will suck away your time.

[quote name='pittpizza']PLEASE do yourself a favor and don't forget Metroid Corruption, it is hands down the best shooter on the Wii[/quote]

agreed. I've almost finished my THIRD playthrough, each with a higher difficulty. Hypermode was really hard, and It took me hours to beat mogenar. hell, I even had trouble with elysias Defense Drone. Those damn mudballs were annoying enough until he whipped out the fucking fog. I'll probalby finish it tonight, Im at the
Dark samus+
aurora unit
battle. The first bit is tough, and I have 3/4 of my health gone (er,.. filled?) to finish of the second section.

RE:4 is one of my favorite games ever. I have yet to play the Wii version (might get it today) but really, not enough can be said about it. Capcom really knocked it out of the park IMO.

Not many people have mentioned Zelda - LTTP on the SNES VC. It's old but I still love it. It looks great upscaled.

If the vc is an option, don't forget there are a ton of cube games, such as:
wind waker
viewtiful joe
eternal darkness
tales of symphonia
baten kaitos
prince of persia
metroids

Metroid Prime 1 includes NES metroid if you connect GBA Metroid Fusion (completed) to it. Not a very good deal but if you have a cheat device or a friend with one you can just unlock it with no fuss.

Resident Evil 4 is pretty long, is so good you'll want to play twice, and has a bunch of great bonus content.

Super Mario Galaxy is plenty long, and it's just sick to own a Wii without SMG.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Super Mario Galaxy is plenty long, and it's just sick to own a Wii without SMG.[/quote]

Yeah, it's a weird feeling having a Wii and not having Galaxy. I've played at GS and really liked it. In fact, Galaxy really sold me on the idea of the Wii. I will get it after I pay my monthly bills. Half.com has a copy brand new for 38.99.

[quote name='ma']Hey, can someone give me a review of Medal of Honor: Vanguard? Looks like it's not as good as Heroes 2, but has local multiplayer, and can be found in the ~$20 range. Basically, I'll be happy with any decent FPS, and I want to play one with Wii controls.

Crotch, is it your intention to only put *good* games in the OP, or reviews of any games? I again offer my review of Donkey Kong Barrel Blast: "Bongo-based game that doesn't support bongos."

Also, your review of Endless Ocean is a little harsh. It is a very unique an fun game, and judging from the huge threads here and at neoGAF, I'm not the only person who thinks that. I guess I would also add that I don't think that Lego Star Wars is just for kids, even if it is easy.[/QUOTE]

Vanguard is a decent buy for 20-25 range. It blew cod3/red steel out of the water, but the controls are just too figidity, they seem to crap out every now and then, basically getting you killed.

I like donkey kong barrel blast.

Endless ocean sucks, its swimming in the damn ocean. +1 to his review. Granted you arent the only person who says EO is a great game, but many people for the wii want ACTUAL games we do sheot in lol :)

Lego Star wars for the wii is actually challenging, but it was made for kids. Hence why its in the kids section -_-?

[quote name='maguszxz']Yeah, it's a weird feeling having a Wii and not having Galaxy. I've played at GS and really liked it. In fact, Galaxy really sold me on the idea of the Wii. I will get it after I pay my monthly bills. Half.com has a copy brand new for 38.99.[/QUOTE]
That being said, I do feel SMG is overrated. Maybe even VERY overrated.

[quote name='PyroGamer']
Super Mario Galaxy is plenty long, and it's just sick to own a Wii without SMG.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree, and got the hell flamed out of me for saying that people weren't using thier Wiis properly.

Let's seeeeee...

Vanguard was, according to the reviews, awful. It has a pre-Corruption control scheme, which is an enormous turn-off to me. Still, local multiplayer is hugely lacking on Wii shooters.

I'll add Barrel Blast. Totally forgot about that one.

I've got nothing personally against Endless Ocean. It's just not really much of a game. It's more like Electroplankton, only you can't leave it running during Snakes on a Plane to see what happens.

EDIT: I plan on adding only noteworthy games to the list. Shitty games will only be added when it seems like there's a chance in hell that someone would actually pick them up. That's why Soul Calibur Legends is on, but not Lilboo Photo Gallery 2.

[quote name='The Crotch']but not Lilboo Photo Gallery 2.[/quote]
Thank you.
I didn't know he made a sequal. He sent me the first one and I went into a deep coma.

I wanted to give a little more indepth reviews of games you have posted, but still try to keep them brief:

Elebits - An extremely underated singly player game and hidden gem. It has kiddish graphics, so if you absolutely hate that look, stay away. Essentially you exist in a world with "Elebits" that are sort of like little Pokemon like things, except that they are the source of all the power in the world. Something has happened and you have to go around in different stages and collect all the Elebits with your gun that controls a lot like the gun in Ghostbusters.

Link's Crossbow Training - It's a pretty fun game and very addicting at times, but not very deep (similar to Wii Sports). The game basically consists of a couple dozen levels where you have to shoot at targets or Monsters. It is essentially a training exercise for using the Wii Zapper, but with high scores can be really addictive. Worth the $20.

Mario Strikers Charged - A great game if you are looking for something to play with friends. It is Soccer meets Mario Kart if you have never heard of it, but even if you don't like Soccer it is still really fun. You can get good games online, but are also sometimes ruined by people using cheap moves/cheating.

Red Steel - Not as bad as some people say. There is a little bit of a learning curve with using the controls, but after about 30 minutes to an hour of playing most get the hang of it. There are better games to spend your money on, but if you find it in a clearance bin for cheap, it's worth a buy.

Wii Play - Every new Wii owner should get this game assuming they are planning on having at least two remotes. A remote + Game for $50 means the game essentially costs $10. Like both Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow training, it isn't a really deep game, but is still fun. It is a good way to get a hang of the many different ways the Wii Remote can be used. Tanks is probably the best mini game which is one or two player where you control a little toy tank and have to drive around and shoot other various types of tanks. The levels start out easy but get progressively harder. Pool, air hockey, and some other quirky games are included.

[quote name='drfunk85']

Red Steel - Not as bad as some people say. There is a little bit of a learning curve with using the controls, but after about 30 minutes to an hour of playing most get the hang of it. There are better games to spend your money on, but if you find it in a clearance bin for cheap, it's worth a buy.

.[/quote]

No, Red Steel was that bad. It was insanely boring, shitty graphics, and a shit tacular storyline with no potential.

It didnt deserve above a 40 percent.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']No, Red Steel was that bad. It was insanely boring, shitty graphics, and a shit tacular storyline with no potential.

It didnt deserve above a 40 percent.[/quote]

Difference of opinions then. I didn't love the game, but I enjoyed it. If somebody I knew saw it in the $10 range, I would tell them to buy it. Feel free to include both opinions though.

MLB Power Pros - 85.5% - Baseball for baseball lovers. Needs more waggle. Quick, someone - is there multiplayer in this? I would think so, but I don't know.

Yes, it has multiplayer.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Vanguard is a decent buy for 20-25 range. It blew cod3/red steel out of the water, but the controls are just too figidity, they seem to crap out every now and then, basically getting you killed.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Vanguard info Ice2Dragon. Split-screen multiplayer is exactly why I'm interested in it. Does Vanguard have bots in the multiplayer? I watched some videos on youtube, and it looked like 2 guys running around in giant empty levels trying to find each other. This is the pitfall of many console shooters. You need online, or bots in multiplayer, or at the very least, small well-designed levels.

[quote name='The Crotch']Let's seeeeee...

Vanguard was, according to the reviews, awful. It has a pre-Corruption control scheme, which is an enormous turn-off to me. Still, local multiplayer is hugely lacking on Wii shooters.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, of course I've already looked at gamerankings & metacritic and know about the reviews. But by asking on the forums I can be specific about what I want--I want a Wii split-screen FPS that is better than Red Steel. Right now, this is pretty much the only candidate.

[quote name='The Crotch']I've got nothing personally against Endless Ocean. It's just not really much of a game. It's more like Electroplankton, only you can't leave it running during Snakes on a Plane to see what happens.[/QUOTE]

Have you actually played it? It is actually a game, much more so than Electroplankton. That said, it is absolutely the most laid-back game I have ever played. But you are sent specific missions and actions to perform, and you are rated on how well you do, and there is a vast number of things to "collect". But everything is optional and you can just cruise around if you want. If you take GTA3, replace the city with the ocean, the gangsters with sea creatures, and the guns with a camera and fish food, you have Endless Ocean. I think most people immediately know if this concept appeals to them, and if it does, they will enjoy this game.

OT: I just read the entire Fire Emblem thread and I'm struggling not to buy it right now. I'm going to force myself to finish POR before I order it though.

[quote name='doubledown']So, what do people think of Mario Kart for the VC? Are they going to release the SNES version ever?[/QUOTE]

They HAVE to. I wouldn't see why they wouldn't :)

Elebits
No multiplayer? I thought it had four player local co-op.

Victorious Boxers: Revolution
This franchise originated on the PS2, and it should have stayed there. You get to choose between 4 different wiimote + nunchuck controler setups, none of which work worth a fuck. The game is playable with a gamecube or classic controler, but that takes away the whole point of a boxing game on the Wii. Also, the story mode is a joke and they made no attempt to balance the different fighters in vs mode. Avoid this game. Two-player local multiplayer.

I have my Wii hooked up to my 32" widescreen hdtv. I specifically set my Wii settings to 16:9, however the picture still shows in the standard screen size. There's a couple inches on each side showing the black bars. I didn't know if I was missing something, or can it not do widescreen?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Some tvs I believe are just designed to have a little space not used for showing the picture.

Does it do the same thing to your cable tv shows or dvds?

I forgot to mention Animal Crossing if you're including GC games. Even if you completely hate it and think it sucks and whatever it has 19 full NES games on it! Most of them can be acquired by normal gameplay or a code, but 2 of them need an E-reader (Ice Climber and (not Super) Mario Bros.) and two more need a cheat device like an action replay (The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros.) but that still leaves 15 NES games that you can get for cheap and with little effort!

[quote name='noahj']anything particularly good for a child about 5 years old that i could help play? something he could mostly play with occasional asistance?[/quote]

Bubble Bobble. And you can join in on the fun. Me and my wife play it non stop. It takes us back. My nephews (the new generation) play this game everytime they come.

As for recommendations, my 1st VC download was Super Castlevania IV. The music, the atmosphere, the graphics( at least back in the 90s ) still hold up well for me. I have never played Super Metroid. It's the only one I have never played. Why am I waiting?! Oh yeah, cuz I want to beat Actraiser first. Too many damn games. I hate being an adult with a credit card!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i have a wii and I have had one for about 14 mo......I own 2 games battalion wars and metal slug. I just got a wii perfect shot gun, i was looking for some good games to go with this. Also any good games in general. Please be gentle I am trying to mend my ways.

bread's done
Back