The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

[quote name='keithp']You realize the HD ones are the first set posted, right? I think they look great, a huge improvement.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I do remember watching the show back in the day (SD tube era)and seeing how merky season 1 -3ish was. Can't wait to see what they do for the whole Remick's head explode scene...cg replacement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REoN1sEYVZo

i wish they would just re-do some CGI like some of Star Wars is...

...like take away the whole monster in that scene with a new CGI monster made to look sort of old

[quote name='Tony Stark']i wish they would just re-do some CGI like some of Star Wars is...

...like take away the whole monster in that scene with a new CGI monster made to look sort of old[/QUOTE]

Two problems.

-It's gonna cost additional $$$ for the new CG
-They are trying to respect the work done by the FX artist of the time. Granted some of the FX's were lost over the years so a remastered one to match as close to the original as possible. Heck that animation where it crawls up his arm is stop motion. An easy fix with cg.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Two problems.

-It's gonna cost additional $$$ for the new CG
-They are trying to respect the work done by the FX artist of the time. Granted some of the FX's were lost over the years so a remastered one to match as close to the original as possible. Heck that animation where it crawls up his arm is stop motion. An easy fix with cg.[/QUOTE]

yeah but ill give you an example...(I realize its Star Wars again)...

in the new Star Wars Blu-Ray's, in Episode I, Yoda is CGI. But until this year he was a puppet and wasnt CGI until Episode II and III.

that took away from the credit to the puppetiers and designers, but im my opinion WHO cares, its a product I pay for and I want the top quality I do not care who gets the rights lol

I'm up to the episode in Season 5 where everyone but Wesley and a ridiculously hot Ashley Judd get addicted to that game with the cones and the disc - that could stand a little CGI touch up.

I'm sure everyone knows this by now, but Amazon Prime streaming is available on PS3. So free Star Trek series.

I've been debating between a Roku and an Apple TV for the longest time, and this made my decision now pretty easy.

Did you consider a boxee box? I've been looking at them for a while, just haven't bitten the bullet so to speak.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I'm sure everyone knows this by now, but Amazon Prime streaming is available on PS3. So free Star Trek series.

I've been debating between a Roku and an Apple TV for the longest time, and this made my decision now pretty easy.[/QUOTE]

i was going to get a Roku, until i got a Vizio TV with apps

[quote name='shrike4242']Agreed, though good space battle at the end of it.[/QUOTE]

I respect the fact that 11 movies and hundreds of episodes and no one ever thought to just crash into the other ship?

[quote name='Javery']Man, Star Trek: Nemesis is so bad.[/QUOTE]I really liked this movie in the theater, with my brain off, just enjoying the show. The ships crashing was incredible on that giant screen.

And then I read this. And I can't disagree with any of it.

Much like Mass Effect 3 and this. Obvious spoilers, duh.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
Spock Prime RETURNS
Klingons!
and no suprise.............KHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about any of that. I don't think any of those are going to remain spoilers for very long. I'll maintain 'em for now.

Regarding
Original Spock
, I'm kind of surprised. That seems to me to be an escape clause, a "we could possibly return everything the way it was" that just seems like a distracting tease, because they're not going to be doing that in this movie or anytime soon. Of the spoilers, I'm most curious about that one because I really don't understand what the purpose is.

New Star Trek III: The Search for Spock Prime's Timeline?
Doubt it. I'll gladly eat my words should it come to that, but I don't see anyone making a movie about something only the nerdiest of the nerdy would feel is necessary.

As much as I love Cumberbatch in Sherlock, I just don't see him as a good Khan. He's too harmless looking to be honest.

I went to Star Trek: The Exhibition this weekend (had free tickets from a friend) at the St. Louis Science Center. Ends on Memorial Day, if anyone's wanting to take a trip to St. Louis.

Was pretty good, with numerous props from TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, plus some of the recent TNG movies plus the 2009 JJ Abrams movie. They also had a few set pieces with the TOS Kirk chair, the "window" portion of a TNG cabin, the TNS bridge set, one of the transporter sets, as well as some Klingon chair (two thrones and a navigator chair).

No pictures allowed inside, however, save "staged" pictures in the TOS captain chair, TNG bridge set and transporter set.

There was a nice timeline of how all the shows and movies fit together in a single sequence.

[quote name='ITDEFX']God damn it........now I am really debating it.
Do I want to spend $100 dollars again for a grainy first season?[/QUOTE]

I can't answer that for you.

I won't spend $100 per season. You know that if this flies, that's what they'll charge for every season of every Trek. No thank you. I like Trek and I want to support HD-ifying it, but I don't want to support that.

It seems inevitable that these will be available online or in another format at some point, and that the price will come down as they did with the DVDs. I know I can wait.

[quote name='blandstalker']I can't answer that for you.

I won't spend $100 per season. You know that if this flies, that's what they'll charge for every season of every Trek. No thank you. I like Trek and I want to support HD-ifying it, but I don't want to support that.

It seems inevitable that these will be available online or in another format at some point, and that the price will come down as they did with the DVDs. I know I can wait.[/QUOTE]I think I picked up S1 - S3 of TOS on BD around $30-$40 each at some point from Best Buy when they had a sale, and I think that's a fair price for it.

$100 for TNG S1 on BD? Heck no. Pass without question.

[quote name='shrike4242']I went to Star Trek: The Exhibition this weekend (had free tickets from a friend) at the St. Louis Science Center. Ends on Memorial Day, if anyone's wanting to take a trip to St. Louis.

Was pretty good, with numerous props from TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, plus some of the recent TNG movies plus the 2009 JJ Abrams movie. They also had a few set pieces with the TOS Kirk chair, the "window" portion of a TNG cabin, the TNS bridge set, one of the transporter sets, as well as some Klingon chair (two thrones and a navigator chair).

No pictures allowed inside, however, save "staged" pictures in the TOS captain chair, TNG bridge set and transporter set.

There was a nice timeline of how all the shows and movies fit together in a single sequence.[/QUOTE]

Sounds pretty cool. Do you have some pics of those staged areas you can post?

[quote name='blandstalker']I can't answer that for you.

It seems inevitable that these will be available online or in another format at some point, and that the price will come down as they did with the DVDs. I know I can wait.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shrike4242']I think I picked up S1 - S3 of TOS on BD around $30-$40 each at some point from Best Buy when they had a sale, and I think that's a fair price for it.

$100 for TNG S1 on BD? Heck no. Pass without question.[/QUOTE]

I agree with both of you. 100 dollars is way too much. Unless they really clean the image and redo all the effects, add commentaries to select episodes and so on...then I can't justify paying 100 dollars per season ..maybe season 4 and above as the video quality gets better.

[quote name='Tony Stark']Does anyone know how long the 5x Star Trek series will stay on Netflix for?[/QUOTE]

dunno...it can go anytime.

I dunno guys, didn't the sampler disc have a MSRP of something like 23.95, and then Amazon had it much cheaper? If we go off of percentages, this set will be sub 100.

Then again this is the season. Maybe that won't apply here. I just hope that those special features listed aren't everything. It's a bit disappointing when you could jam so much love into this set.

I'm quite happy streaming from Amazon, and will continue to do so for as long as they will let me. I'm almost through S1, but I admit I haven't made it a priority.

[quote name='keithp']Sounds pretty cool. Do you have some pics of those staged areas you can post?[/QUOTE]The "staged" pics were like you'd see on a amusement ride where they'd "catch" you in a specific moment. I wasn't in any of the pics, so don't have any to provide.

The TOS captain's chair certainly showed its age from back in the 60s, and they green-screened the backdrop of the TOS bridge behind it to take the pic. Looked interesting from the visual they showed as they were snapping pics. Wasn't worth the $20 per picture to take a memento of it.

The TNG bridge set covered Picard's chair, Riker's chair, Troi's chair, the two navigator/helmsman stations and a couple of the back stations, such as tactical. Another one you could get pics snapped for being there, and it was in better shape than the TOS captain's chair. Looked nice to see it in person.

The transporter pad looked like one from Enterprise, as it didn't look like the TOS or TNG sets, though could have been from Voyager or DS9. Was the best looking of the three set pieces you could be photographed in. Apparently they gave you an overlay for the picture if you had one taken that would make you "disappear" like you were using the transporter.

Was I glad I went to see it? Yes, for the price I paid for it (free), though if I paid full price for it, I wouldn't have been complaining too loudly. There was a nice mix of props and set pieces from TOS to 2009 Abrams' ST movie, even though it was all "look but don't touch" displays.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I agree with both of you. 100 dollars is way too much. Unless they really clean the image and redo all the effects, add commentaries to select episodes and so on...then I can't justify paying 100 dollars per season ..maybe season 4 and above as the video quality gets better.[/QUOTE]I had no issues paying the $30-$40 for the TOS season sets, because they look great on BluRay. Sound is also great, and I might see going up to $50, though that would be a reach.

$80 for S1 of TNG? Not at all. Even if the episodes look pristine and great with cleaned up effects and great commentaries, it's still not worth $80. $30-$40, yes, I'd probably get it.

It would take a very in-depth review to get me thinking about picking it up close to launch, though again, $50 is about my break point for that.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I dunno guys, didn't the sampler disc have a MSRP of something like 23.95, and then Amazon had it much cheaper? If we go off of percentages, this set will be sub 100.

Then again this is the season. Maybe that won't apply here. I just hope that those special features listed aren't everything. It's a bit disappointing when you could jam so much love into this set.[/QUOTE]The 3-episode teaser disc went down as cheap as $10 at one point on Amazon, if memory serves.

[quote name='shrike4242']

I had no issues paying the $30-$40 for the TOS season sets, because they look great on BluRay. Sound is also great, and I might see going up to $50, though that would be a reach.

$80 for S1 of TNG? Not at all. Even if the episodes look pristine and great with cleaned up effects and great commentaries, it's still not worth $80. $30-$40, yes, I'd probably get it.

It would take a very in-depth review to get me thinking about picking it up close to launch, though again, $50 is about my break point for that.

The 3-episode teaser disc went down as cheap as $10 at one point on Amazon, if memory serves.[/QUOTE]

Well to be honest, IF paramount did a really good job preserving them properly, and went thru hundreds of hours doing image clean up, redoing the effects (ala TOS HD), adding new commentaries from director's, writers, the Okawas (sp?) and effects crews on key episodes along with doing a overview of remastering each season feature, then YES it would be worth paying nearly 100 dollars...

Like I said, I might just wait for season 4 or even season 3 as the quality gets a lot better during season 3.

4fc8831b65707-2.jpg

That hat could put someone's eye out

The hat they're wearing is actually a really clever reference to the original pilot of Star Trek. There was a hat that looks almost exactly like the ones they're wearing in XII in Captain Pike's quarters.

That hat looks awful, cartoonish even. It's like they were going for the space Nazi look. the uniforms look like they were stolen from one of the original Star Wars films.

Teaser trailer of the JJ Abrams sequel is now up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31OS4dVUv3A

Nothing much since this is a teaser after all, but I'm not gonna lie that it gave me some chills. Note: I was never into Star Trek until the 2009 movie, which I love to bits. You see -- I'm more of a 'Wars person than a Trekkie, and that's majority of the mainstream moviegoers if I'm not mistaken. Unless I'm sooo wrong, of course, and I just wanted to type that in order to fill in some space.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back