The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

I have this crazy feeling that TNG HD will have a similar mega box set....*sigh*
Oh yeah. CBS/paramount have repackaged movies and series ( into cherry picked episode sets) about 3 times in the last 5 be years while adding zero new content. I am surprised DS9 never got a box set, or dominion war set(seasons 5-7 with a few of the 1-4 important episodes).

Although I'm not a fan of TV show apparel, the red one is pretty funny.
http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2014/01/new-starfleet-uniform-style-wallets.html?m=1

I searched around and found a wholesaler estimating a US street date of 3/30/14. Doubt ThinkGeek will pass those up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wonder why we haven't gotten any cast commentaries ?  I know SPS is busy and super expensive since he has the SIR title, but what's Spiner, Frakes, and the rest of the people up to?

I really wonder why we haven't gotten any cast commentaries ? I know SPS is busy and super expensive since he has the SIR title, but what's Spiner, Frakes, and the rest of the people up to?
Probably CBS just milking it rather than spending anything more. They have showed the fans that is their only interest in the rights to it. Milk it dry rather than produce new product at a risk.

I doubt Frakes and Sirtis have passed much if anything up. They seem to be the torch carriers for everything after TOS. The only ones that have repetivitely said they would do another series at the drop of a hat.

Spiner seems to be going through the Nemoy type phase of "get away from Trek". Maybe he will swing back around later and realize its not a bad thing like Nemoy did.

Good news guys: Amazon just renewed their CBS contract for r Prime steaming. Since it includes the latest content, TNG remaster is up to season four on AP streaming;

Hulu is still only at the first two in HD, and I think Netflix still has none of TNG in HD. Not completely sure though. I'm hoping Netflix renews next year after 7 comes out

What would you guys recommend for a Star Trek newb to get into the series by? I'm not wanting to go nuts since it's a vast series and I don't have the time to see everything but just anything that could introduce me to the lore more. I have only seen the two most recent films that Abrams did (and loved those) and that's as far as I've got. I swear I've never seen one episode of any of the shows nor any of the other movies. I have Netflix too in case that helps since I noticed a few of the television shows are on it.

What would you guys recommend for a Star Trek newb to get into the series by? I'm not wanting to go nuts since it's a vast series and I don't have the time to see everything but just anything that could introduce me to the lore more. I have only seen the two most recent films that Abrams did (and loved those) and that's as far as I've got. I swear I've never seen one episode of any of the shows nor any of the other movies. I have Netflix too in case that helps since I noticed a few of the television shows are on it.
I would start with TNG. I like TOS as well but since you saw the reboot movies I'd go with something fresh.

Warning: the first 2 seasons of TNG aren't that great(some episodes are absolutely terrible), but should be watched anyways.

I would also skip Voyager except for a few select episodes that are actually really good. Enterprise is a mixed bag, but really finds it's stride in season 3.

TNG and DS9. Enterprise also. The first season or two of every show is rough, FYI, Especially voyager. The last 4 season S of TNG and ds9 are great...

DAMN...I SOOOO want to go to that one. Haven't been to one in over 20 years and it's right in my hood.

oooooooo YEAH!!!

Even though it's mostly recycled footage from the Pilot, it's nice to see the station in HD. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60oK7L39cMc

and YES THERE ARE 4 LIGHTS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtYDbGEeeug

One strange question though.... why didn't they release Time's Arrow or Descent?  I am sure they will release All good things as a single disc release.

For all you Massholes wanting to go to the con in Boston this summer, Groupon is selling 1 day tickets for $12 a pop. Regular price is $20.

Finally saw Into Darkness last night.  It was great.  I really love the casting they've done in these 2 movies.  I also loved the call backs to Wrath of Kahn - it was a fun popcorn sci-fi movie which is really all you need.

Finally saw Into Darkness last night. It was great. I really love the casting they've done in these 2 movies. I also loved the call backs to Wrath of Kahn - it was a fun popcorn sci-fi movie which is really all you need.
I don't think anyone complains about the casting. JJ Abrams is a genius at casting, I think everyone can agree with that. Its the writing that makes us roll our eyes.

I don't think anyone complains about the casting. JJ Abrams is a genius at casting, I think everyone can agree with that. Its the writing that makes us roll our eyes.
you know, as someone who watched all of TOS and TNG and a pretty good chunk of DS9 and Voyager, I dont see whats so bad about JJ's writing. I like that theres a bit of a different spin to the Trek universe now.

I just stumbled upon this likely total BS(I'm not familiar with the site but sounds like satire). But I'm posting the link because its something I can see CBS doing. Its based on about 65% of their lineup already!

http://www.callthecops.net/cbs-developing-new-csi-ems-related-start-trek-television-shows/
If those are true it seems to indicate we'd be going back to the original time line considering they're talking about a Defiant class ship. I've always kind of hoped they'd go back to the original timeline so we could see a fallout from the destruction of Romulus (and yes, I've heard that there are novels that cover it).

Also, I'd just like to be able to watch Star Trek on TV again

you know, as someone who watched all of TOS and TNG and a pretty good chunk of DS9 and Voyager, I dont see whats so bad about JJ's writing. I like that theres a bit of a different spin to the Trek universe now.
It's not terrible, but it's also not very good. It's different, I'll give it that, but much of the difference is that he takes established lore and puts it through a blender. The result is very much like Voyager: pretty to look at, not much in the upstairs department, and been done before, better.

If Into Darkness is any indication where it's going, it's...alright, I guess? Into Darkness really surprised me. I was hoping to love it. Then I saw it, and I logically realized it should cause me to nerdrage. But the end result was a great big meh. It was okay, though I don't think I ever want to see it again.

It was pretty and loud and occasionally fun and occasionally stupid. It's a popcorn movie that is not so egregiously bad as a Michael Bay film, but it's also not terribly good, when it all comes down to it. I liked the first hour. Then it got increasingly silly and unbelievable. Then it just started throwing so many things at the screen that my brain gave up. When Spock was playing Frogger with Khan on the moving ships at the end, I threw in the towel. I don't even want to talk about the reworking of Star Trek II's ending. I won't call it emotional manipulation, though, because that takes some skill. This was just dumb.

In the end: no, I don't like it. Like Voyager, it defies analysis or criticism because there just isn't a whole lot of thought going into its production. The plot is a hash with so many things that don't make sense that it's crazy to even try. There is zero emotional resonance because I can't take any of it seriously enough. They are attempting to tick off many checkboxes without bothering to see if the final product holds together or makes any sort of logical or emotional sense. Too many checkboxes.

And that's the problem with JJ's writing. It's spectacle and it's fun, but there's no depth or heart. It's about in line with the SW Prequels, except the acting's better and there aren't as many lines that are groaners. I should be mad at it, but I guess I've decided it is not worth being mad at. Like the SW prequels, it just isn't real to me anymore. I can watch the original stuff and pretend the new stuff doesn't exist.

If those are true it seems to indicate we'd be going back to the original time line considering they're talking about a Defiant class ship. I've always kind of hoped they'd go back to the original timeline so we could see a fallout from the destruction of Romulus (and yes, I've heard that there are novels that cover it).

Also, I'd just like to be able to watch Star Trek on TV again
Well, JJ's people have said his original plan was to make a TV series if the movie made plenty of money. The TV show would be much more cerebral. Then CBS happened.

Good, just as long as we don't get another corny story like searching for god like ST5: The Final Frontier did.

I'd like to see them do a Borg story set in that universe.

Good, just as long as we don't get another corny story like searching for god like ST5: The Final Frontier did.

I'd like to see them do a Borg story set in that universe.
That's easy. Remember the Narada in the first movie was a Romulan mining ship that was augmented with Borg tech.

At this point I really don't see why we need a connection to the original cast in the new movie.  The first movie did well with Spock Prime..now it's time for a more original story.

In other news TNG Season 7 BR will be out by December!   Then things go dark...... :(   Unless by some crazy turn of events they make a DS9 BR announcement...but that's just wishful thinking.

At this point I really don't see why we need a connection to the original cast in the new movie. The first movie did well with Spock Prime..now it's time for a more original story.

In other news TNG Season 7 BR will be out by December! Then things go dark...... :( Unless by some crazy turn of events they make a DS9 BR announcement...but that's just wishful thinking.
My guess? The Shatner comes to rescue The Nimoy. I believe he brought back Kirk in his books? They could run with that.

My guess? The Shatner comes to rescue The Nimoy. I believe he brought back Kirk in his books? They could run with that.
Yes I read about that rumor...that part of Kirk is still in the Nexus and that some how he gets out to find Spock Prime....so let me guess the next star trek will be called ....wait for it..................the SEARCH FOR SPOCK!!! errr...wait already taken.................oh wait I got it.............the SEARCH FOR SPOCK PRIME!!! that's it....

Frakes wants to direct Trek 3.

Someone started a twitter hash tag to support it.

Tweet #BringInRiker to @ParamountPics if you like the idea

Justin Lin(Fast & Furious franchise) has been selected to direct the new movie
Heard about it today too. Not sure how it's going to work. I like what Lin has done with the last few Fast N Furious films, and he's been involved with Community and True Detective, so this could be good.

Justin Lin is an excellent director and the Fast and Furious films are awesome thank you very much. Lin is a very broad director, despite him helming 4 of the last Fast films. Do yourselves a favor and look up a movie called "Better Luck Tomorrow" that he did; one of those overlooked indies he did when he just started out but it's been universally praised and definitely a great film for someone so new to the business at the time. He was actually supposed to take on the next Bourne film until they managed to get Greengrass back very recently.

Justin Lin is an excellent director and the Fast and Furious films are awesome thank you very much. Lin is a very broad director, despite him helming 4 of the last Fast films. Do yourselves a favor and look up a movie called "Better Luck Tomorrow" that he did; one of those overlooked indies he did when he just started out but it's been universally praised and definitely a great film for someone so new to the business at the time. He was actually supposed to take on the next Bourne film until they managed to get Greengrass back very recently.
Hope your positivity is right.

Look who put Nemesis together, that didn't work.

NEW SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Ever since Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci, key players on theStar Trek feature franchise, moved to CBS TV Studios, there had been talk about them resurrecting the studio’s marquee title. Now the long-gestating new Star Trek TV series is becoming a reality. It will be shepherded by Kurtzman, who will serve as executive producer. He had quietly been meeting with potential writers for the past few months. CBS Television Studios is the studio.

The first original series developed specifically for CBS All Access, is set to premiere in January 2017. It will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966, according to the network. It will launch with a special preview broadcast on the CBS network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the U.S. on CBS All Access. The franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

Kurtzman and Orci have gone their separate ways in features. On the TV side, their company, CBS TV Studios-based Kurtzman/Orci Paper Products, is still intact though Kurtzman is expected to work solo on the Star Trek series as one of the projects under a separate deal with the studio.

CBS Corp. had been high on rebooting Star Trek with a new series installment, which had been a goal for the company.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

So, I'm confused.

It says it will be available "exclusively" on CBS All Access, which says to me "stupid pay subscription service".

But then it also says "distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms" which says to me "also on TV".  Which would completely undermine the stupid pay subscription service.

What is it going to be?  CBS is deluding itself it if thinks it will be successful in getting people to subscribe to a paywall for this.  It might work in the short term because Trek fans are rabid/devoted.  But unless it is totally awesome, it will implode.

I have 3 letters for anyone who thinks a new Star Trek show can sustain a network: UPN

And that one was free.

So, I'm confused.

It says it will be available "exclusively" on CBS All Access, which says to me "stupid pay subscription service".

But then it also says "distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms" which says to me "also on TV". Which would completely undermine the stupid pay subscription service.

What is it going to be? CBS is deluding itself it if thinks it will be successful in getting people to subscribe to a paywall for this. It might work in the short term because Trek fans are rabid/devoted. But unless it is totally awesome, it will implode.

I have 3 letters for anyone who thinks a new Star Trek show can sustain a network: UPN

And that one was free.
First episode will be shown on CBS broadcast. Rest of them, including said first episode, will be shown on CBS All Access only. $5.99/month cost.

So, I guess this means I won't be watching it.  The only good news is that Orci is not involved.  That's almost worth $6 a month to me.

But the last two series were...not good.  The first movie reboot was decent, but it had its share of stupid.  Into Darkness was so misguided in so many ways that it is a red flag that these folks don't know what they're doing.

All of this together is not reassuring.  I don't think they have a vision, a sense of what would make a good show, or even any sort of consistent quality to back it up.  I guess they have a year to figure it out, but I gotta ask: why would I pay for that?  They still have a lot to prove that it would be worth watching on a weekly basis, much less worth paying for.

I had the feeling that with a F&F director at the helm there would be something involving vehicular stunts.   So the Enterprise get's destroyed and it looks like they take an older federation ship to get off the planet.    I dunno...a lot of people are claiming this might be the last reboot star trek movie and I am starting to think so too. I have read so many reports about writers leave and the pressures of having to write the script and shoot so soon.   I am starting to think that the rumors of Spock and Kirk from the prime story line where they were going to have Kirk (Nexus Prime) come and get Spock Prime and return him to the prime universe was about to go until Nimoy died causing the script to be abandoned and remade quickly.

New Trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw

I'm ok with it for the most part. The new uniforms feel kinda weird though.
They're fighting space rocks, the Narn, and Insane Clown Posse?

Well, the last movie with vehicular stunts was Nemesis, so how bad could it be?

bread's done
Back