The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

So who genetically engineered khan to be a badass? And could they just keep draining khan and his crew of their blood to cure anything?

Also are khan and his crew the spartans from halo?

[quote name='GUNNM']So who genetically engineered khan to be a badass? And could they just keep draining khan and his crew of their blood to cure anything?

Also are khan and his crew the spartans from halo?[/QUOTE]

I really wish Khan would have talked more about his background in the cell scene. Perhaps a flashback where Admiral Marcus finds him along with a scene of Bontey Bay (sp?)

Yeah, Khan's crew was such a waste......

[quote name='GUNNM']So who genetically engineered khan to be a badass? And could they just keep draining khan and his crew of their blood to cure anything?

Also are khan and his crew the spartans from halo?[/QUOTE]

Khan was genetically engineered about 50 years from our current time then put in chryo until this time of the movie. So it's not like they were able to do it again. All science around their cloning was deemed illegal until some of it was used again later. Dr. Julien Bashir was made using similar science and I believe Noonan Singh (spelling?) is a descendant as well (Data's creator).

Into Darkness wasn't perfect by any means, but people who are lamenting it as an action movie with style over substance need to remember that, in a lot of ways, it's a remake of Wrath of Khan, which was also 1) directed by a guy who wasn't a Star Trek fan and 2) far more of an action movie than anything that had appeared in TOS or the first film, and WoK is credited as saving the franchise since it had been off the air for years and the first movie under-performed.

The films have ALWAYS been more action-oriented with more grandiose plots, while the TV shows have maintained the original themes more consistently.

There are certainly some technical problems which don't make much sense (how quickly they get back to Earth from Kronos while being pursued by the Vengeance, for example, if we're using other Trek as a reference) but given the liberal use of Scotty Prime's equation for transporting half-way across the galaxy, I'm not expecting a ton of strict adherence to the canon of the (fictitious) science side of Trek.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Haha, isn't that what I said earlier? btw it's monday so no more spoiler tags. You are truly losing a lot of detail when seeing a movie in 3d as it is darker and not as sharp as seeing it in 2d. When I saw it in 2d yesterday I could see more without the cheap thrills of 3d.

Unfortunately if you ever want to see it on a big screen, like an imax at AMC they force the 3d on you :(

Hey...where is the crew quarters?[/QUOTE]IMAX 3D has never been dark for any time I've seen any movie in my local IMAX theatre. It's the preferred 3D format.

[quote name='shrike4242']IMAX 3D has never been dark for any time I've seen any movie in my local IMAX theatre. It's the preferred 3D format.[/QUOTE]

Well not dark dark, but lower brightness than normal 2d screens that I have been to. I read somewhere that theater owners do not want to increase the brightness of the projector because it will burn out the bulb faster for a 3d movie.

I just noticed more detail in the 2d showing than the 3d/imax 3d showings.

[quote name='johnnypark']Into Darkness wasn't perfect by any means, but people who are lamenting it as an action movie with style over substance need to remember that, in a lot of ways, it's a remake of Wrath of Khan, which was also 1) directed by a guy who wasn't a Star Trek fan and 2) far more of an action movie than anything that had appeared in TOS or the first film, and WoK is credited as saving the franchise since it had been off the air for years and the first movie under-performed.

The films have ALWAYS been more action-oriented with more grandiose plots, while the TV shows have maintained the original themes more consistently.[/quote]

I haven't seen Into Darkness yet, so I can't comment on that.

TWOK, however, is widely regarded as the best Trek movie because it's more than an action movie. Sure, it has space battles and ear weevils and scenery chewing. But I still think it succeeds the best at using every character, developing them, and giving them all something meaningful to do. That's not easy for a large cast. Plus a villain. Plus new characters. Plural.

And, somehow, it did all that. I think TWOK's Khan is the best villain because he is complicated and flawed, and yet you can understand his choices and empathize with him. Even though other antagonists share similar motivations (Soran, Nero), there's more characterization in his second-in-command than most movies' primary bad guy. There really isn't another ST villain that even comes close.

Plus, you have actual themes that aren't just throwaways. TWOK reminded people that there were characters and things that they cared about. In the middle of it all was a reminder of the big three of TOS, doing what they did best -- have an ethical discussion from different points of view. And it wasn't boring, tacked on, or moralistic. The movie never gets too far away from the idea that, for all the science fiction, these are real people with real concerns and not just plot devices shuffled from one spot to the next. It also never got far away from the idea that science fiction is meaningless if we can't relate it back to human issues.

Nemesis was also directed by an outsider and had plenty of action. Yet, it's justly derided as one of the worst Trek movies because it did everything wrong, including laughable plot and characterization. Just as the themes and ideas flow and reinforce each other in TWOK, they are slapdash and featherweight in Nemesis, and the whole thing is an unwatchable hash of poorly thought out ideas.

TWOK isn't about one thing, and it certainly isn't about just the plot or action. It has that. But if that's all it had, we wouldn't still be talking about it or holding it up as the example of what a Trek movie can be.

[quote name='blandstalker']I haven't seen Into Darkness yet, so I can't comment on that.

TWOK, however, is widely regarded as the best Trek movie because it's more than an action movie. Sure, it has space battles and ear weevils and scenery chewing. But I still think it succeeds the best at using every character, developing them, and giving them all something meaningful to do. That's not easy for a large cast. Plus a villain. Plus new characters. Plural.

And, somehow, it did all that. I think TWOK's Khan is the best villain because he is complicated and flawed, and yet you can understand his choices and empathize with him. Even though other antagonists share similar motivations (Soran, Nero), there's more characterization in his second-in-command than most movies' primary bad guy. There really isn't another ST villain that even comes close.

Plus, you have actual themes that aren't just throwaways. TWOK reminded people that there were characters and things that they cared about. In the middle of it all was a reminder of the big three of TOS, doing what they did best -- have an ethical discussion from different points of view. And it wasn't boring, tacked on, or moralistic. The movie never gets too far away from the idea that, for all the science fiction, these are real people with real concerns and not just plot devices shuffled from one spot to the next. It also never got far away from the idea that science fiction is meaningless if we can't relate it back to human issues.

Nemesis was also directed by an outsider and had plenty of action. Yet, it's justly derided as one of the worst Trek movies because it did everything wrong, including laughable plot and characterization. Just as the themes and ideas flow and reinforce each other in TWOK, they are slapdash and featherweight in Nemesis, and the whole thing is an unwatchable hash of poorly thought out ideas.

TWOK isn't about one thing, and it certainly isn't about just the plot or action. It has that. But if that's all it had, we wouldn't still be talking about it or holding it up as the example of what a Trek movie can be.[/QUOTE]

yeah..what he said. :)

Man. That movie blew. My friend hadn't read any spoilers at all, and he totally called, "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" I sat forward, staring blankly, so he could have his victory. He was dying in laughter when it did happen.

I like the two new star trek movies, they've gotten me interested in the older Trek stuff. Some of you guys need to chill though, sound like a bunch of grumpy old men.

I wonder if Fathom and Star Trek will do another TNG event.  I haven't heard anything or seen anything online about an event for season 4. Season 4 release is coming up pretty fast so maybe they're doing one for season 5 instead. Ah well.

yeah...technically there should have been Redemption part 1 and 2 on Thursday since next tuesday would have been the release.  I guess either ticket sales weren't that good to warrant the event or it was never planned....too bad though.

I like the two new star trek movies, they've gotten me interested in the older Trek stuff. Some of you guys need to chill though, sound like a bunch of grumpy old men.
Once you have seen the older stuff, like TNG, DS9 (its very hard for most people to put TOS in its original context in the present day) you'll start to see why. Watch TNG episdoe "The drumhead" and it will relate to recent political events, DS9 episode "Duet". Both episodes hold single lines of dialog that are superior than the entire dialog in either movie.

The movies were made as usualy action romps with a moral. The TV show, the backbone of the franchise, was a moral story with usually some action. Which means Trek was always about the story and The Abrams movies don't hold much in the moral department, its mostly just action. That is what the angst is about. Most of us love it as a movie but not as Trek.

On Abrams defense, he supposedly planned to make the Movies as action romps, and the TV series would be based on moral issues. When the TV plans fell apart due to the corporate bickering, he sadly didn't change his plan. If you go but the supposed plans stated buy people from his own company,he then through with HALF the plan. Doesn't that sound like a recipe for failure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pumped up for season 4 tomorrow. That deal for Season 4 + Redemption essentially for 2.99 is pretty damn solid. I wonder if I should even bother with trying to pricematch at Best Buy. Might just call Target up tomorrow morning and ask them to put Season 4 and Redemption on hold for me and grab them at lunch (they sell out quickly, or don't get much stock at all) 

Once you have seen the older stuff, like TNG, DS9 (its very hard for most people to put TOS in its original context in the present day) you'll start to see why. Watch TNG episdoe "The drumhead" and it will relate to recent political events, DS9 episode "Duet". Both episodes hold single lines of dialog that are superior than the entire dialog in either movie.

The movies were made as usualy action romps with a moral. The TV show, the backbone of the franchise, was a moral story with usually some action. Which means Trek was always about the story and The Abrams movies don't hold much in the moral department, its mostly just action. That is what the angst is about. Most of us love it as a movie but not as Trek.

On Abrams defense, he supposedly planned to make the Movies as action romps, and the TV series would be based on moral issues. When the TV plans fell apart due to the corporate bickering, he sadly didn't change his plan. If you go but the supposed plans stated buy people from his own company,he then through with HALF the plan. Doesn't that sound like a recipe for failure?
While I agree the shows generally had a much deeper approach to storytelling than the current movies, I think people are forgetting just how downhill the "original universe" movies had gotten in terms of telling a thoughtful story. By the time Nemesis rolled around we had dune buggies running around planets... While there was an interesting subtext of that movie of what makes up a person, it was lost in the background noise of complete schlock. Insurrection? Gah Hell, even the darling of Star Trek movies, First Contact, isn't exactly a deep thinking movie but rather more or less a straight action romp.

I think the issue might be that there's no show to balance out the movies. Atleast with the awful TNG movies, there was always the show to fall back on.

With these two, you're getting a typical JJ Abrams movie with Star Trek trademarks when convenient, and he doesn't have anything else to show that he's capable of making something thought-provoking and deep. Star Wars is a ton more conducive to his style.

Season  4 has been out for awhile.  I think they are having a hard time finding some shots because I noticed some up-scaling in some episodes.   Trekcore finally did their comparison video of Yesterday's Enterprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcMnppqxKJc

Is it me or does anyone think they (the TNG Remastered team) should have added additional damage to the Enterprise D model as the Klingon's were pounding on it during the battle?

Still slogging my way through DS9 - I haven't watched the series since it originally aired.  It is a really great show but some of the episodes are really boring.  I'm in the middle of Season 3 so things are about to get good.  Just finished watching the one where Kira and Odo crash on the planet and Kira gets engulfed in some sort of crystal.  Good stuff.

Hopefully there will be some sort of Sampler disc containing the pilot and 1 or two good episodes remastered of DS9 coming out before the end of the year to tie us over for DS9 Remastered.

Still slogging my way through DS9 - I haven't watched the series since it originally aired. It is a really great show but some of the episodes are really boring. I'm in the middle of Season 3 so things are about to get good. Just finished watching the one where Kira and Odo crash on the planet and Kira gets engulfed in some sort of crystal. Good stuff.

Still slogging my way through DS9 - I haven't watched the series since it originally aired. It is a really great show but some of the episodes are really boring. I'm in the middle of Season 3 so things are about to get good. Just finished watching the one where Kira and Odo crash on the planet and Kira gets engulfed in some sort of crystal. Good stuff.
That's DS9 for you. It has the most story out of any of the Treks but even then, that's not saying much. You're going to get an episode here and there that should have been cut down and made the B story of a larger episode.

The STID 3D on Bluray is fantastic. The best 3D on blu I have( I have an active 3D setup with shutter glasses FYI). Better than any of the Marvel movies, and also Amazing Spider Man which used 3D cameras.

And as with ST09 the Surround Sound is top notch.

A month ago I saw some discontinued trek ships selling for stupid money and started researching the market for trek collectables, ships are where the value and market is. I havent bought anything trek that isnt a video or game since I was eight. I had no interest. Thats what led me to this.

Anyone seen this?

http://www.startrek-starships.com/usa/faqs.html#!prettyPhoto

I saw some detailed pics of the ones released in the UK and the ships look incredible. Look at the Aztec pattern.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/321217101289?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

They are releasing in the US in the next few weeks. If you bought all of them (70 planned already, they suggest more may be added) it would be at least $1400.

Some of the discontinued Hot Wheels ships that are smaller, and less have detail sell for 50-100+ on eBay.

I'm wondering how much the long term gifts will run. You will HAVE to subscribe for 18 months for one, which would be a $720 cost @ 2 ships a month at $20 each.

That's insane. But then again I could see it selling for $150 in the future.

s.

A month ago I saw some discontinued trek ships selling for stupid money and started researching the market for trek collectables, ships are where the value and market is. I havent bought anything trek that isnt a video or game since I was eight. I had no interest. Thats what led me to this.

Anyone seen this?

http://www.startrek-starships.com/usa/faqs.html#!prettyPhoto

I saw some detailed pics of the ones released in the UK and the ships look incredible. Look at the Aztec pattern.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/321217101289?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

They are releasing in the US in the next few weeks. If you bought all of them (70 planned already, they suggest more may be added) it would be at least $1400.

Some of the discontinued Hot Wheels ships that are smaller, and less have detail sell for 50-100+ on eBay.

I'm wondering how much the long term gifts will run. You will HAVE to subscribe for 18 months for one, which would be a $720 cost @ 2 ships a month at $20 each.

That's insane. But then again I could see it selling for $150 in the future.

s.
I've seen them through another forum and decided that it isn't worth the subscription to me. They look absolutely gorgeous of course.

Sounds to me like an attempt to drum up interest, and possibly to get angry nerds to tell CBS how stupid they are.

If Orci is involved, I'm not interested and I'd actually go so far as to hope it fails. He's a douchebag, and you need look no further than Hawaii 5-O to see what Trek could turn into. I watched that show because Grace Park was such a badass in BSG, and she's completely wasted on a show that makes her boring and gives main characters the barest hints of idiotic and mind-numbing "development" that goes nowhere. No thanks.

I've seen them through another forum and decided that it isn't worth the subscription to me. They look absolutely gorgeous of course.
The trek collective has a few reviews up with some nice pics. They do look awesome. Reminds me of Admirals desk in STiD

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/10/tng-season-5-unification-blu-rays-press-release/

We've already had a taste of it with the clip of the junkyard scene from "Unification" in the trailer, but the fifth season will mark the debut of CBS Digital's brand new re-tooled Enterprise CGI model. Due to the increase in complexity of many of the ship shots in Season 5 alongside a number of instances were elements could not be found, the team had to go back to the drawing board and re-vamp their CG model. The results are nothing short of breathtaking, and we're very excited to see the finished product along with fan reaction to the newly rendered shots.

hmmm...I am really curious if they are going to recreate every enterprise explosion via CG or make it have more punch... I honestly thought they did a good job timing the moments of the ship and composting the explosions back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QNJdDbxdv4

HMM

I think I am getting tired of Trekcores SD/HD videos of TNG HD.

Yes we get it , the colors are more vibrant than ever.  However the focus should be more on the effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr6MJDgmxaE

I think I am getting tired of Trekcores SD/HD videos of TNG HD.

Yes we get it , the colors are more vibrant than ever. However the focus should be more on the effects.

Agreed! It was slightly disappointing during the events they had in theaters because some of it wasn't any different than the DVD box set I have.

Agreed! It was slightly disappointing during the events they had in theaters because some of it wasn't any different than the DVD box set I have.
Well to be honest with you, I read somewhere that the Fanthom events are sent via satellite to the theaters so there is no reel.. From what I remember seeing I saw a windows desktop projected on to the screen. The picture quality was below standards for BOBW and there was some weird purple fringing around some of the characters. I checked and it looks like there will be do Reunification event this month either. I guess there isn't a demand to have TNG on the big screen. However I am glad I was able to go to 2 out of 3 events.

The Season 5 BR review is up

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/11/review-star-trek-the-next-generation-season-5-blu-ray/

2 mins of upscaled footage...ouch..but from what the review says it doesn't sound that bad.

They fixed the phaser beam coming from the torpedo launcher from Darmok!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awhS30Ln7Gw

Even when that first aired I was like "ummm huh???"

They didn't give any more kick to the enterprises blowing up in Cause and Effect :(

but overall looking good!!!

Well to be honest with you, I read somewhere that the Fanthom events are sent via satellite to the theaters so there is no reel.. From what I remember seeing I saw a windows desktop projected on to the screen. The picture quality was below standards for BOBW and there was some weird purple fringing around some of the characters. I checked and it looks like there will be do Reunification event this month either. I guess there isn't a demand to have TNG on the big screen. However I am glad I was able to go to 2 out of 3 events.

I remember seeing a Windows error message pop up on screen before Best of Both Worlds. That was the only issue we saw during the screening. But yeah, the picture quality wasn't what they were making it out to be. It is sad that there's not a demand for more TNG events. I went to all 3 and was so hopeful for a 4th event. Ah well. The three events were fun and memorable. :)

Anyone reading the Khan comics based on Into Darkness? I'm guessing that the answer to the different look is cosmetic surgery or something.

Anyone reading the Khan comics based on Into Darkness? I'm guessing that the answer to the different look is cosmetic surgery or something.
My prob with the comics is they could easily put some of that missing info into the movies without alienating the NuTrekers.

Like the Narada was modified by Borg tech. Watching the movie I was like " uhhh....how did a ROM civy get his mining ship to be so deadly?"

In movie add two lines

New Spock: "Are all Romulan mining ships so well armed in the future?"

Old Spock: "Desperate, the Romulans were driven to embrace a dangerous cybernetic based technology stolen from a genocideal cybernetic race"

Would that have been so hard?

I didn't even catch this until now. Apparently CBS has greenlit a made-for-tv movie set around the Equinox from Star Trek Voyager. No mention if it's the new movie universe or they're going back to the old one(I hope so).

Fifteen years after the destruction of the USS Equinox (approximate star date 2393) Captain Rudy Ransom, who was beamed from his doomed ship by the Krotownans, is held prisoner in the Delta quadrant for crimes against the race including trespassing in Krowtownan space and the deaths of Krowtown Crew members. Captain Ransom has very few choices but one chance to return to the Alpha Quadrant some 30.000 light years away.
It's supposed to air sometime in 2014 and if it's popular enough, it'll get made into a series.

I don't believe it.  Source?  I found a board that says its a fan-made project, which I think is much  more likely, but that's not proof for or against.

I find it extremely dubious that the next televised Trek will be some obscure Voyager spin-off.

I don't believe it. Source? I found a board that says its a fan-made project, which I think is much more likely, but that's not proof for or against.

I find it extremely dubious that the next televised Trek will be some obscure Voyager spin-off.
Yeah, kinda misread it. It's something being produced that for TV(no mention of CBS, although wouldn't Paramount have to give it's approval for this to get made?).

Story of it being made:

http://www.examiner.com/article/to-boldly-go-3?cid=db_articles

Story of someone already being cast in it:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/31/wwe-matt-striker-star-trek-equinox-acting/?adid=sidebarwidget-tmzsports

wtf is this bullshit?

I might as well sit here and wait for the Captain Sulu show or the Adventures of the Rikers in the Titan TV series.......

Complete series set on BD for Enterprise, coming on 04/01/14 (it is a Tuesday, so it's a legit release date):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Star-Trek-Enterprise-Season-1-4-Blu-ray/ref=%26%2574%2561g%3d%2562l%2575r%2561y%252d016%252d20?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-016-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00HHYF5FC&ASIN=B00HHYF5FC&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Found it on Blu-Ray.com:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Trek-Enterprise-Season-1-4-Blu-ray/93126/

$307.99 at the moment, retails for $439.99.

Might not be worth it since the single season sets have been less than $77/season by no small amount.  I doubt it'll release for that price, though unless it gets down to $200 or so by release date, it likely won't be worth picking up.

S1 lowest price to date: $35.34 (Amazon)

S2 lowest price to date: $52.34 (Amazon)

S3 releases on 01/07/14

S4 releases on 04/01/14

bread's done
Back