The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

[quote name='JJSP']Attn: Trekkies (and I say that with the utmost respect) - all of the original feature films and the 2010 Star Trek movie will be $4.99 on Blu after upgrade & save starting this Sunday.[/QUOTE]

I would have loved a Star Trek movie in 2010, but it is universally known as Star Trek 2009 :)

Thanks to those who mentioned the BOBW screening, I'd completely forgotten, but now I have my ticket! The S3 review has me even more excited to see it on the big screen.

[quote name='JJSP']Attn: Trekkies (and I say that with the utmost respect) - all of the original feature films and the 2010 Star Trek movie will be $4.99 on Blu after upgrade & save starting this Sunday.[/QUOTE]

A little more info on the program, like what store this is happening at, would be helpful ;)

I got the boxed sets.....

fair warning, the Desert Planet scene on Nemesis is even more jarring and migraine inducing in HD. I never minded the buggy, even though when I first saw the movie I my first thought was "WTF?", I was able to set that aside unlike most people. That horrific color palate was what baffles my mind. Ya know, last time I was in the desert, I could still see my colors correctly.....

[quote name='johnnypark']Thanks to those who mentioned the BOBW screening, I'd completely forgotten, but now I have my ticket! The S3 review has me even more excited to see it on the big screen.

A little more info on the program, like what store this is happening at, would be helpful ;)[/QUOTE]

upgrade and save is a Best Buy thing, so that is my guess

Ha, my mistake. Best Buy indeed - trade any DVD, get $5 off any Blu $9.99 and up. They'll all be $9.99, so $5 after coupon.

I also stand corrected on the year. I refer to it as Star Trek: Lens Flare Chronicles

[quote name='JJSP']Attn: Trekkies (and I say that with the utmost respect) - all of the original feature films and the 2010 Star Trek movie will be $4.99 on Blu after upgrade & save starting this Sunday.[/QUOTE]It looks like these may be reissues for the OG movies and NG movies, as BluRay.com shows them as having new releases for Tuesday.

[quote name='shrike4242']It looks like these may be reissues for the OG movies and NG movies, as BluRay.com shows them as having new releases for Tuesday.[/QUOTE]
New box art. And all movies sold individually as BR disc. That's it,no new special features from what I've read. The box sets still have a few exclusive features the individual movies wont

IGN has a video review of ID. Doesn't look like the core fans will be too happy. They don't expect anything cerebreal, AnD you'll be disappointed if you were hoping for a movie that caters to the core fans using traditional trek themes. But its fun, action packed, and dark.

So.basically, JJ made trek into his personal Empire Strikes Back. Not bad, but not Trek.

[quote name='6er']IGN has a video review of ID. Doesn't look like the core fans will be too happy. They don't expect anything cerebreal, AnD you'll be disappointed if you were hoping for a movie that caters to the core fans using traditional trek themes. But its fun, action packed, and dark.

So.basically, JJ made trek into his personal Empire Strikes Back. Not bad, but not Trek.[/QUOTE]

Where is the link?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Where is the link?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure actually. It was on the IGN app on roku.

Oh here it is . http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/04/23/star-trek-into-darkness-igns-review

Last two paragraphs are the scary part.

It releases in a few countries this week as paramounts plan to make ST have more appeal internationally

Also let me complain about one remark in that review also, which.many critics make.

People trash the idea of appeasing Trekkies as being what drug the series down. In fact, we are the reason its still alive. The actual people involved in Trek have learned this.

If most people are too stupid to understand the plot, then that really shows how moronic the world has gotten over the last 50 years.

Case in point: Michael Bay films

I like explosions as much as the next guy, but Trek doesn't need a $200 million budget and lens flare in every frame to.make money. The ones in charge for so long just did it wrong.

But I guess I'm ranting to the choir here.

Just came back from the best of both worlds event.

-Did anyone notice a pinkish halo around the characters?
-Part 2 looked a lot better than part 1.
-That 3 second upscale scene on the battle bridge did look noticeable :(
-They left the sparkies in :(
-There was this weird music loop moments before the saucer separation sequence. I am hoping this was a lag in the transmission and NOT in the release.
-The edit was nicely done between Riker's Fire command and the next scene of part 2.
-The grave yard scene looked pretty much the same as the original :( Was hoping for more background ships.
-Theater was PACKED... heads up, get there at least 30 to 60 mins before it starts, if you get there when the show starts at 7, you are SOL when it comes to seats.
-Season 3 outtakes were funny. Worf had some good ones.
-There is a short documentary that last 30 mins before the main event.
-Season 4 trailer(which was just posted on line today) was shown.
-I strongly believe that Redemption part 1 and 2 will be edited together for the next event.
Overall a good experience to say the least.

Event was pretty cool. Bloopers were great. That guy Patrick is such a cheeky bastard.

Season 4 trailer has me relieved. They're having Max Gabl doing the planets for S4, the same guy with the CBS Digital team, which is huge. No more ridiculous N64 textured planets like season 2. If they can keep the new team(s) in check (apparently CBS Digital will be in close contact according to Trek Core) then it is truly exciting the pace they're working at. They'll be done by next year. Give us DS9 next :D

Ok, I'm saying it. If a a Triple A studio, BioWare, 343, even friggin Treyarch, or the former Raven or Totally Games EF or ST:BC guys had a kickstarter to make a quality Trek game, based on the Prime universe....

The Enterprise looks so good in the new PC game I have NOT FREAKING IDEA how the idea of how.they couldn't make a New version of BC. Crap, they would even have benchmark reference to go off of!

Star Trek Excalibur game cannot come soon enough. Too bad they would get sued by CBS and paramount if they had a kickstarter.

You know what I JUST realized? The HD single edit of BOBW...they deleted 14 seconds from the start of part 2!!! I am on the fence about this. Those 14 seconds were kind of suspenseful when you first saw it..and the thoughts in your mind were like "Is this it? is Picard going to die?". There was no music in those 14 seconds... On the other hand for the edit it kinda works as it fires with no delay. The Borg could have easily disabled the enterprise's warp engines and took off before they fired.

Also anyone think there should have been MORE ships in the grave yard scene? Or even more ships from Jupiter instead of those 3 ships?

Finally, Too bad there wasn't a bigger boom for the cube...or even a Praxis style shockwave.

I agree re: Wolf 359, especially since that battle/massacre is a big footnote later in Trek history, between DS9's roots to the battle and it being cited later as a reason at times why Picard is unfit for facing the Borg. They had an opportunity to to try and flesh out the size and scope of Star Fleet (which DS9 pulls off in some of their enormous battles) by really showing the destruction of a fleet and slightly missed the mark.

I'm sort of glad they didn't try to fix up that scene by adding CG stuff into it, but in the making of featurette the effects guy mentions they had corpses floating in space and some way more crucial visuals which didn't really make it into the final shot, which I think would have added to it a lot.

Also, I HATE the way Data says "Wolf Three-Fifty-Nine" instead of "Three-Five-Nine" when he's so proper in his diction and everyone else says three-five-nine.

Nope, the sparse number of.ships able to fight the Borg in time makes perfect sense. Look at how many times Kirk's ship was the only one around that could save the universe. What......the first 5 movies?

Starfleet didn't protect on any decent scale earth until the dom war it seems. Heck even in early in STE..
..it was a theme.

Then again, they didn't need anyone else around, since he shot first rather than debating morality like Picard.

Was going to slog more of the Star Trek Video Gameon PC (halfway through it starts to get.......boring).

2.5GB PATCH!

After I installed it, the enemy cant still see me through walls, making the stealth optional objective impossible.

GOOD JOB BONEHEADS!

Well, at least I can say this is the first bad game whose marketing suckered me in, in many years. LEt my Trek optimism suck me in on this one.

edit: Soon after I shoot one of the enemies in the butt and it looked like he had a butt rocket, or explosive gas, as he mildly propelled through the air. from a butt shot.

edit 2: yup, pretty sure the physics are now laughably absurd. head shot sent a 1000 pound bipedal dino mutiple-somersaulting backwards through the air

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so few good Trek games. The Amrada games were good (first was better than the second), Bridge Commander was ok too, and I remember the SNES/Genesis TNG game being ok. That's about all I can think of that I enjoyed. I've still got an old copy of the Generations movie game, god that was horrible.

I really loved Starfleet Academy. I was also a kid, so maybe it was in all actuality crap, but I enjoyed the cut scenes, and flying the ships, etc.

Also, Star Trek Legacy had its issues, but overall I really enjoyed the campaign.

I've always wanted to play the Elite Force games, but since they apparently focus on the plot towards the end of Voyager, I want to wait until I actually watch Voyager so that the games don't spoil anything.

Bummer the new game is so broken. Early screen shots and vids made it look like it had potential.

Good call! I can't wait until Tuesday. I'm going to try and do a janky price match for the Target deal at Best Buy+apply coupon(s). If that doesn't work, oh well, I'll get reward points at least.

Speaking of your purchases of Trek movies, I'd love it if they did a big boxset where the guy who does the TNG and Enterprise bonus features did some for all of the movies. I love those documentaries-- though it'd be a huge undertaking to go through Star Trek's cinematic history like that, especially for the TOS era.

Yeah I am going to try to PM Amazon/Target as well. I am wondering if Season 4 will contain the original edit (those original 14 seconds before the enterprise fires)? I am sure it will.

oh yeah..hey FOS did your viewing on Thursday sound more like Stereo than 7.1/5.1?
All I remembered is that when the projector turned on, there was a Window XP desktop and the top corner kept on saying YR720 . I almost rolled my eyes.

btw... Wikipedia spoiled ITD!!! :( I am kind of on the fence on it........hmmm....

Bummer on the spoils, but truth be told Wikipedia is the last place you should be for a movie you haven't seen if you don't want it spoiled. I know ITD hasn't come out yet, but since there's already at least one review out, the internet is officially a spoiler zone.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Yeah I am going to try to PM Amazon/Target as well. I am wondering if Season 4 will contain the original edit (those original 14 seconds before the enterprise fires)? I am sure it will.

oh yeah..hey FOS did your viewing on Thursday sound more like Stereo than 7.1/5.1?
All I remembered is that when the projector turned on, there was a Window XP desktop and the top corner kept on saying YR720 . I almost rolled my eyes.

btw... Wikipedia spoiled ITD!!! :( I am kind of on the fence on it........hmmm....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the sound was not that good really. It was loud, but that was about it. I was almost disappointed because I'm putting together a surround sound system, and one of the first things I was going to try was to play some TNG on it but then I remember the audio was probably going to be wack just like the video.

[quote name='johnnypark']Bummer on the spoils, but truth be told Wikipedia is the last place you should be for a movie you haven't seen if you don't want it spoiled. I know ITD hasn't come out yet, but since there's already at least one review out, the internet is officially a spoiler zone.[/QUOTE]

Well from what I said earlier about what I think is going to happen...well I was wrong. It's basically a
Twist on Wrath of Khan....so nothing too original :\

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yeah, the sound was not that good really. It was loud, but that was about it. I was almost disappointed because I'm putting together a surround sound system, and one of the first things I was going to try was to play some TNG on it but then I remember the audio was probably going to be wack just like the video.[/QUOTE]

Are you guys adjusting your tv's to "Fit" mode or leaving it 4x3? I am kinda scared to leave it on 4x3 for too long on my plasma.

I am probably going to jump right into Booby Trap, The Enemy, The Defector, Tin Man, Yesterday's Enterprise, Sarek, Sins of the father (for that restored 3 SECONDS!!). I will probably be watching the Single Disc BOBW by the time my wife comes home only to have her say, "Didn't we see this last week???"

Is there a negative affect to the bars on the left and right for plasma televisions? As far as I understand it, modern plasma TVs are really good when it comes to burn in-- you'd have to do something extreme to leave permanent damage.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Is there a negative affect to the bars on the left and right for plasma televisions? As far as I understand it, modern plasma TVs are really good when it comes to burn in-- you'd have to do something extreme to leave permanent damage.[/QUOTE]

There is some minor after imaging but then again I have been using this thing every day for nearly 4 years now :|

Well I can tell when my wife has been watching lifetime all fucking day when I see the logo burned into it. :bomb:

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Is there a negative affect to the bars on the left and right for plasma televisions? As far as I understand it, modern plasma TVs are really good when it comes to burn in-- you'd have to do something extreme to leave permanent damage.[/QUOTE]
Once you're through the break in period it's fine. I wouldn't do it all day but a few episodes is no big deal. There will only be temporary image retention.

oh yeah
bonding_wp_1a.jpg

I wonder if Apple can sue Starfleet for Copyright infringement ? :p

I have watched the TNG movies in Blu Ray, but just watched TMP for the first time in the HD remaster last night. WOW. The models are amazing. As Hamil was saying about his ideas on the new SW Trilogy, physical models add a depth and detail you lose with CGI. In fact the old school FX looks so great in HD I actually enjoyed TMP much more. The stupid long unveil of 1701 refit makes more sense now, the model detail leaps from my screen.

ILM did an amazing job on that movie. I had always heard they did but couldnt tell in SD. The VGER cloud is even better. So much so I actually believe the actors sense of awe now.

Would even go so far as to wonder how nice a comprehensive 3d makeover could look.

[quote name='6er']I have watched the TNG movies in Blu Ray, but just watched TMP for the first time in the HD remaster last night. WOW. The models are amazing. As Hamil was saying about his ideas on the new SW Trilogy, physical models add a depth and detail you lose with CGI. In fact the old school FX looks so great in HD I actually enjoyed TMP much more. The stupid long unveil of 1701 refit makes more sense now, the model detail leaps from my screen.

ILM did an amazing job on that movie. I had always heard they did but couldnt tell in SD. The VGER cloud is even better. So much so I actually believe the actors sense of awe now.

Would even go so far as to wonder how nice a comprehensive 3d makeover could look.[/QUOTE]

I agree, even in SD the ships in the original SW trilogy retain a level of detail and polish that still look fantastic today, meanwhile the best of the best in the prequels (such as the enormous dogfight in the beginning of Episode III) look dated by comparison as CG has improved. I wish they would have used models just to make the new films have a similar aesthetic, but the CG is the least of those films' problems!

I think they need to update the rendering/lighting engine. Looks too perfect.
I am hoping that they can make some minor tweaks to some of the ship shots in the backgrounds as a lot of them look cut and paste.

Paramount doesnt give a crap about Star Trek and the reason it was popular. They are only using the name for recognition to make more money.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/05/12/star-trek-into-darkness-enjoys-strong-international-debut

Paramount, enjoy losing the cult following and having nothing left when the popularity of this incarnation ends. Of course this is the studio they couldnt get Marvel universe together. Which is making billions in the hands of competence. And somehow....still largley aacknowleding its fans and history.

Lucy Arnez (errr?) and Roddenbery are rolling in their grave.

And yes it will last a good deal longer. Its a movie for people who cant comprehend much more than action scenes and explosions. No short supply there. But then another action sci fi trilogy will come along and star trek wont have a differing factor anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Star Trek will endure almost no matter what they do. If Star Wars can survive Lucas, Star Trek can survive Paramount. The fans will bitch and moan that it's nothing like what they grew up with, but continue to watch it while a new group jumps in.

Meh, I haven't watched the new Star Trek movies. I see nothing of value in them. Alone, they're good movies but using the name Star Trek is just a quick cash-in.

what I would give to have TNG:R seasons on VUDU! I love my WD TV live box. Would be nice to just load any episode I want without disc swapping.

bread's done
Back