The state of men's fashion

When I see people with popped polo's they are usually with some great looking women. However when I see someone with the $5 t-shirts with the stupid joke on it from Wal-Mart, they are lonely.

[quote name='Layziebones']When I see people with popped polo's they are usually with some great looking women. However when I see someone with the $5 t-shirts with the stupid joke on it from Wal-Mart, they are lonely.[/QUOTE]

aka

"fuck ya'll. I wear MY collar popped!! ::OFFENDED::"

I think "popped" collars should be limited to cloaks worn by Dracula and various characters in comic books and Japanese media.

Toss in the Long Island spiked hair, and I cannot say I'm a fan.

Popped collars and oversized shirts aren't popular anymore. Or maybe its just where I live but people stopped wearing that stuff a couple years ago.

I think this thread really shows what's sad about the state of men's fashion.

1. Some men now care what other men wear.
2. Some men now care what other's think about what they wear.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
princeux5.jpg

[quote name='chasemurata']
princeux5.jpg
[/quote]
Does he really know why doves cry?

Or does he have it mistaken with abunch of people who play video games suddenly realizing that a man who wears purple and names himself after a symbol gets laid more then anyone here combined? You be the judge...

[quote name='chasemurata']I like his outfit. :whistle2:#[/quote]

Wimp

So do I...
Damn that Prince for being so awesome

[quote name='life.exe']Popped collars and oversized shirts aren't popular anymore. Or maybe its just where I live but people stopped wearing that stuff a couple years ago.[/quote]

Nope. Polos used to be a 'preppy' symbol, but now they're worn by every idiot around, so I don't wear them anymore. Also, the oversize shirt is extremely popular still. Only, it used to be you buy them 2 or 3 sizes to big. Now, you buy them 5 or 6 sizes too big, forcing stores to carry 6X and 7X shirts. :roll:

Also, may I add another to your list? What with the shorts that are long enough to be pants? If you want your legs covered, wear pants. It isn't that difficult people.

And yeah, the straight brimmed cap pisses me off. It looks retarded. When I was a kid, the first thing we did when we got a new hat was bend the brim into a nice big U. :D

One other thing that annoys me (and this might be the only that's annoyed by this) is when someone wears a dress shirt and a tie with cargo pants. What the fuck is up with that? It's either they couldn't decide whether to dress formally or casually, or couldn't afford the dress pants to go with the dress shirt.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']One other thing that annoys me (and this might be the only that's annoyed by this) is when someone wears a dress shirt and a tie with cargo pants. What the fuck is up with that? It's either they couldn't decide whether to dress formally or casually, or couldn't afford the dress pants to go with the dress shirt.[/quote]

Haven't seen it myself, but I see where you're coming from. I can't imagine that a pair of Khakis would cost that much more than cargo pants. Maybe they're those 'so lame it's cool' people. But in reality, it's just lame.

[quote name='crystalklear64']When are capes gonna be back in fashion?[/quote]
When the people who wear them don't turn out to be insane.

I always try to dress like James Bond.
FORMULABondClown.jpg

Dress like either the Connery or Craig Bond and you're all set. It's 10x more potent than Axe body spray. Just costs a shitload of money. Like those $400 sunglasses he has in QoS.

[quote name='JMEPO']There is only one good excuse to wear a pink shirt and thats if your gay. Or drunk. Or both.[/quote]

This is the only pink shirt I own:

08f591474171a0584f0f829e7e1cbc42.jpg

Tell me I'm wrong, DFA1979 fans. Tell me I'm wrong.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think every shirt I've purchased in the last year or so has been from a concert. And I feel like a hipster douche. #-o

I just hate shopping for clothes.

[quote name='siderealshift']This is the only pink shirt I own:

08f591474171a0584f0f829e7e1cbc42.jpg

Tell me I'm wrong, DFA1979 fans. Tell me I'm wrong.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think every shirt I've purchased in the last year or so has been from a concert. And I feel like a hipster douche. #-o

I just hate shopping for clothes.[/QUOTE]

Nice.

I'm curious, how many of you that are touting the polo as your shirt of choice have worn one with a pair of basketball shorts? I'm just being curious here.

[quote name='rabbitt']I'm curious, how many of you that are touting the polo as your shirt of choice have worn one with a pair of basketball shorts? I'm just being curious here.[/quote]

If you're wearing basketball shorts, logic dictates that you should be playing basketball or some similar activity, and such activities do not exactly go hand-in-hand with the wearing of a polo shirt. (Note: Polo doesn't count, because nobody plays polo.)

So don't do it, people!

That said, I have a few polo shirts that I like. I'm more of a button-down kind of guy, but occasionally you can find decent polo shirts if you look around skate shops. My favorites are made by Split and Independent.

My trouble is finding shirts that don't fit like a trash bag with three holes cut in it. It's not easy being tall and skinny.

So let me get this straight, you have an overabundance of graphic tees, and you're deciding the state of men's fashion? I argue the validity of your opinion, sir! I'm really curious as to what you consider "nice" clothes to be. It sounds to me like you don't want to wear what the average person wears cause you gots to be "hip", but you want to complain about fashion. The fact is, your average male of 20-plus can dress decently without issue. I could put together a nice wardrobe by going into Kohl's or Penny's and paying no more than $20-30 (other than shoes) an item.

If I cared enough, I could make a full pictorial shopping list for you, but then you'd look too nice. But since I'm feeling kind, here's a basic example breakdown:
2-3 pair of nice jeans
1098_Bleach
2-3 pair khakis/slacks
316160_Khaki
3-4 solid color/striped polos
362393_Marshmallow
3-4 patterned long-sleeve shirts
366377_Port
1 pair brown shoes
c9390
1 pair black shoes
And, of course, belts to go with the shoes.

Voila, you look nice, you can dress up or down as needed, and best of all, you can toss it on quickly in the morning. No fuss, no muss, and your girlfriend won't be embarrassed by your clothing.

I think most of your problems can be solved if you shopped at more upscale stores. Nordstrom is a good starting point. Bloomingdales, Saks and Neiman Marcus are also nice places to shop. You may think that you can't afford stuff at these stores, but you would would be amazed what deals you can find if you wait for the right sales. If you can't wait for sales three of these stores have outlet stores (Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off Fifth and NM Last Call) where you can find even better deals, although the selection might not be as good as the regular stores. You won't find any of those oversized white shirts or other junk you see at those typical mall stores.

As for Polo shirts, you will find them everywhere. However, you are under no obligation to wear them. I don't own any Polo shirts and can't remember the last time I wore one. There are a lot of choices for shirts out there. You could wear button down shirts, crewneck shirts, t-shirts (long sleeve or short sleeve and they don't have to have a bands name on them), henleys, sweaters (for the winter if you live in a cold climate), etc.

I think we know who the real douchebag is.

I'm wearing a plain dark blue polo right now and I look amazing in it.

A pink shirt is "I'm a closet case, I really want a cock up my ass but don't want to admit it, except through this shirt. However a pink dress shirt with a suit is OK.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']If I cared enough, I could make a full pictorial shopping list for you, but then you'd look too nice. But since I'm feeling kind, here's a basic example breakdown:
2-3 pair of nice jeans
1098_Bleach
2-3 pair khakis/slacks
316160_Khaki
362393_Marshmallow
366377_Port
1 pair brown shoes
c9390
1 pair black shoes
[/quote]

:whistle2:k Hmm, I'm not familiar with the "Community College Professor" school of fashion. [/ribbing]

I find that, in general, shopping for clothes inevitably leads to disappointment. Instead, I happen across items I like (on the Internet, passing through a store, whatever), and I buy them. Over time, I've managed to amass a serviceable wardrobe through this method. It may not be a "fashionable" wardrobe, but I like it, and that's good enough for me.

[quote name='siderealshift']:whistle2:k Hmm, I'm not familiar with the "Community College Professor" school of fashion. [/ribbing][/QUOTE]

Oh, it's not just limited to community college teachers. In my defense, I still wear skate shoes. ;)

[quote name='ecwfan']I think most of your problems can be solved if you shopped at more upscale stores. Nordstrom is a good starting point. Bloomingdales, Saks and Neiman Marcus are also nice places to shop. [/quote]

:lol:

I saw a tee I liked in Nordstrom, it was cheap looking, it was $300+. I rather buy a K-Mart shirt for $5.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']So let me get this straight, you have an overabundance of graphic tees, and you're deciding the state of men's fashion? I argue the validity of your opinion, sir! I'm really curious as to what you consider "nice" clothes to be. It sounds to me like you don't want to wear what the average person wears cause you gots to be "hip", but you want to complain about fashion. The fact is, your average male of 20-plus can dress decently without issue. I could put together a nice wardrobe by going into Kohl's or Penny's and paying no more than $20-30 (other than shoes) an item.

If I cared enough, I could make a full pictorial shopping list for you, but then you'd look too nice. But since I'm feeling kind, here's a basic example breakdown:
2-3 pair of nice jeans
1098_Bleach
2-3 pair khakis/slacks
316160_Khaki
362393_Marshmallow
366377_Port
1 pair brown shoes
c9390
1 pair black shoes
And, of course, belts to go with the shoes.

Voila, you look nice, you can dress up or down as needed, and best of all, you can toss it on quickly in the morning. No fuss, no muss, and your girlfriend won't be embarrassed by your clothing.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your attempt at help, but the smugness overrides anything relevant you said.

Yes, I have an overabundance of graphic tees. Specifically, skateboarding tees that you find at Pac-Sun and the like. I should have clarified, and I didn't, which is my mistake, but most of these are relics from my junior high school days. I've recently decided to purchase some new clothes (with classes starting back up, I wouldn't mind looking a little nicer) and had a roadbump in the availability of good-looking (and affordable) men's clothing.

The "hip" comment baffles me. I'm being inconvenienced in the first place because of my desire to not wear what is "popular" right now (5XL white shirts, baggy jeans, cookie-cutter polo's, etc.)

I want to dress above average, but if I combined all of the clothing you suggest, I'd have a terribly boring closet.

I wear mostly whatever my mother buys me when she feels guilty about shopping with my sister and spending all kinds of money on her. So that translates into what I've been wearing since high school and before.

Although recently I resigned to just buy whatever my sister and cousin say looks good on me. I figure if two college-age girls say it looks nice than that's good enough for me.

If you are in shape, I cannot stress the correct fit, style and size of jeans enough. Get to know a company, and their strengths, and what times of jeans best accentuate your body style and thats the foundation for a good wardrobe.

If you're a tall/slim person who does cardio get Guess Falcon Slim Fit Boot Cut. They cost around 70-110 but they are worth it. Gap makes shitty jeans.

7 for all Mankind also makes great jeans but they are way too pricey $170-220.

Also for dress pants, Express' Producer Pants are amazing. Tailored with a modern style. They look amazing.

[quote name='strayfoxx']If you're a tall/slim person who does cardio get Guess Falcon Slim Fit Boot Cut. They cost around 70-110 but they are worth it. Gap makes shitty jeans.[/quote]

Are you kidding me? I nearly had a heart attack dishing out $40 for a pair of jeans. I feel ashamed about that pair. But $70!?!? And this is coming from the guy who does all of his shopping at Hollister.

[quote name='strayfoxx']If you are in shape, I cannot stress the correct fit, style and size of jeans enough. Get to know a company, and their strengths, and what times of jeans best accentuate your body style and thats the foundation for a good wardrobe.

If you're a tall/slim person who does cardio get Guess Falcon Slim Fit Boot Cut. They cost around 70-110 but they are worth it. Gap makes shitty jeans.

7 for all Mankind also makes great jeans but they are way too pricey $170-220.

Also for dress pants, Express' Producer Pants are amazing. Tailored with a modern style. They look amazing.[/QUOTE]

I noticed some of the 4 for all of Mankind jeans in the latest GQ. They look fantastic, but I can't bring myself to spend that much on a single pair when my paychecks are going to be small (since I'm taking 16 hours of classes).

I'll check out some of those Guess jeans the next time I'm in the mall, though.

People on "CHEAP ASS Gamer" talking about buying EXPENSIVE ASS clothing. I'm not seeing the logic here. I would rather pay full price for a game and buy jeans for $20 at Target than wait for the game to hit $20 and buy jeans for $170. Do the math.

[quote name='Machine']People on "CHEAP ASS Gamer" talking about buying EXPENSIVE ASS clothing.[/QUOTE]

The sites grown far from just a deals site. Hell, I barely even check the deals forum anymore. Maybe once a week to look at Speedy's ad thread.

It's just the best gaming related forum I've found on the net. I'm not much of a cheap ass, I do pretty well for myself and will be better off soon when I finish my Ph D so I don't have to be much of a penny pincher. That said, I'd never buy $170 jeans as I don't care much what my jeans are like as I'm not that picky about my casual clothing. I'll spend my money on suits and business casual stuff that I care how nice it looks.

I imagine many of the others are the same.

[quote name='Machine']People on "CHEAP ASS Gamer" talking about buying EXPENSIVE ASS clothing. I'm not seeing the logic here. I would rather pay full price for a game and buy jeans for $20 at Target than wait for the game to hit $20 and buy jeans for $170. Do the math.[/quote]

some people probably spend as little on games so they can buy expensive clothes, that's my guess. i spend as little on possible on both :)

I actually just bought a $9 pair of jeans from Target last week, and a $10 pair from Sears that look like they are $70 jeans. I too never understood how cheap asses spend so much on clothing. I get laid, I don't need $100 jeans to get people's attention.

Strayfoxx has a point. Gap does make oddly-fit/shaped jeans. At least for my body. I only buy their higher-priced dress pants 'cause those actually fit properly and accent things. I guess you do get what you pay for.

[quote name='Machine']People on "CHEAP ASS Gamer" talking about buying EXPENSIVE ASS clothing. I'm not seeing the logic here. I would rather pay full price for a game and buy jeans for $20 at Target than wait for the game to hit $20 and buy jeans for $170. Do the math.[/quote]

dmaul's hit it right on the head. It's rare that I venture out to the deals forum since I've moved up in the world. Plus, as they say, mo $$$ mo problems so I've got little time to play a lot of games so I'm very selective about them. I've also unfortunately had to cut out rpgs/rts/mmos (my favorite gaming genres) simply for being too much of a time investment. I don't have as much time to scrutinize the best deals. As for the fashion, I'm just as home at buying $2000 suits at a nice tailor as buying $10 jeans on discount at H&M or Banana Rep. When you've got the discretionary income, you spend it.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Being on CAG does not necessarily equate to being a cheap ass in all facets of life.[/quote]

Yeah, this is Cheap Ass Gamer, not Cheap Ass Person.

[quote name='crystalklear64']When are capes gonna be back in fashion?[/quote]

Capes went outta fashion? WTF?

*takes off cape* :cry:

I don't wear graphic tees and stuff much, in fact i don't even wear t-shirts by themselves much. I've been trying to address a little more professionally or adult like. I've noticed if you dress like a kid, people will treat you like one.

It kills me when some people complain about still being treated like a child when they still act and dress like one.

[quote name='Aberforth']Capes went outta fashion? WTF?

*takes off cape* :cry:[/quote]
Superheroes kinda ruined the cape and all.:lol:

bread's done
Back