The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
War of the Roses is up for preorder 20% discount if you own a Mount & Blade game $23.99 20% off 4 pack $71.99 20% off

Dunno what to think of this game, in concept and looking at it, it is like yes please I will buy it, but playing the beta, I'm not so sure :/

[quote name='hal']What? What!? Don't leave us hanging. What 2 games?
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='asheskitty']From my limited knowledge of PS1, the short short list would be Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (probably my favorite game soundtrack). Then again, I'm sure Sophita will suprise us! :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KaOTiK']I'm guessing one is Xenogears[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Necrotron']Both Dynasty Warriors V and VI? ;)[/QUOTE]

First off isn't curiosity addicting :razz:

: drum roll:

The first game is Final Fantasy Tactics - I have sunk more time into that game than any other game I have ever played. I think for 2 years 8th and 9th grade it was the only game I played. Yet somehow I have never finished the game I always got caught up in the story and also the random battles were addicting just leveling up the perfect skills and team building.

On my best save I made it all the way up to Wiegraf only to save over both my saves when I was victorious only to realize I could never win at the rooftop battle as noone in my party was fast enough to save that one brother and sister(Also you couldn't exit the battle and return so I was stuck fighting an a unwinable battle) :bomb: I swore I would beat FFT one day and so it remains shaking in fear of my throw stone skills.

Second game is Jade Cocoon: I am not sure how many here have heard of it, if at all, however imagine a mature themed Pokemon. You play as a Boy who goes off to try and save his village from some sort of demonic curse and using a ocarina type thing you are able to capture various creatures you find and force them to fight for you. You can also fuse them together to try and make unique creatures with different skills that are inherited between generations like the Shin Megami Tensei system.

One of the most memorable aspects is the game also allows your main character to fight, so your also collecting weapons and armor and potions for yourself as well on top of creature collecting. The games story I remember also becomes really dark and twisted the deeper you go into the game. The thing that stuck with me the most as a kid was unlike pokemon the enemy humans you face actually die when you defeat them, was crazy at the time knowing my little demons attualy killed someone, compared to just robbing them :cool:

The game also has a very unique art style(and still holds up because of the art direction) to it, the controls I am sure if I went back to will be sluggish as it is a 3d ps1 game. But overall I have never seen a game like it or one that has even come close to it (Well the game did get a sequel but it was far too different and also lost the dark oppressive tone the original had as well as the monster collecting IIRC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1R2MkSUpVg

Also for the anime fans, the game's intro :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgpTgqKRc1w

Edit: According to Wikipedia Jade Cocoon used studio Ghibli for the artwork. I guess why the game looks like Princess Mononoke so much, always thought that movies art style and tone was similar to Jade Cocoon =p

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I'm totally contributing to the off-topic discussion, but I like the nostalgia of talking about the PSOne's expansive library. I hold Silent Hill, Resident Evil 2 (Dual Shock Edition), and Grandia in high regard.

[/QUOTE]

Silent Hill holds up really well, I ended up playing it for the first time last year, I would say the visuals even made it scarier than Silent Hill 2. With PS1 graphics I wasn't even sure what was chasing me half the time so really could relate to the panic my little polygon man had.

Resident Evil 2 blew my mind when I finished Claire's story only to realize that now I had to play as Leon for his side of the story and also finish the cliffhanger type ending.

[quote name='KaOTiK']War of the Roses is up for preorder 20% discount if you own a Mount & Blade game $23.99 20% off 4 pack $71.99 20% off

Dunno what to think of this game, in concept and looking at it, it is like yes please I will buy it, but playing the beta, I'm not so sure :/[/QUOTE]

Ya I'd caution anyone from playing it. Imagine a sluggish slower and worse Mount and Blade :whistle2:#

[quote name='Mooby']Might have already been posted: http://www.greenlightbundle.com/pressrelease.html (people have been having trouble viewing it in Chrome). More info:

The Green Light Bundle launches August 23rd with 8 celebrated games as a ‘pay what you want’ sale
August 20th, 2012, Utrecht, The Netherlands
The Green Light Bundle puts eight great indie games into one bundle. Gamers can decide for themselves what price they are willing to pay for this bundle. The developers are doing so in the hope that their games will soon be available on the Steam Store.
The Green Light Bundle launches on August 23rd, exactly one week prior to the community driven approval system Steam Greenlight (TM) goes live. With Steam Greenlight gamers can vote for games they want to be made available on the Steam Store. By showcasing these amazing games the games will get the exposure needed to kickstart their Steam Greenlight (TM) campaign, and thus increasing their chances of getting onto the Steam Store. Everybody wins!
More about The Green Light Bundle
The Green Light Bundle celebrates the launch of Steam Greenlight (TM) by making these games available for both PC & Mac. The bundle is an initiative by Stolen Couch Games. Like many other developers they too have had trouble trying to get their games onto Steam. The launch of Steam Greenlight (TM) gives every developer an equal chance of getting their games onto the Steam Store. With the Green Light Bundle we wants to highlight some amazing games not yet available on Steam. As mentioned before the Green Light Bundle contains eight great indie games:

• Ichi by Stolen Couch Games. Ichi is an easy to play but challenging one button puzzle game. Don't be deceived by the game’s simplistic look, it’s a brain twister for sure!
  • Paper Monsters by Crescent Moon Games. Dive into the world of Paper Monsters and watch a living world made out of paper, cardboard, and a few cotton balls unfold right before your eyes. Paper Monsters takes all of the classic 2d platforming elements, combines them with cutting edge graphics.
  • Muffin Knight by AngryMob Games. Muffin Knight is an action-packed platformer with stunning visuals and a myriad of fairytale characters, each with their own unique abilities which gain strength as you advance.
  • Guerrilla Bob by AngryMob Games. Get your finger on the trigger and prepare to fire! Guerrilla Bob is an action-packed shooter game with stunning visuals, plenty of kick-a*s weaponry, unique enemies, explosive ammunition and non-stop humor.
  • Samurai II Vengeance by Madfinger games. Become a wandering samurai in the ancient Japan during chaotic times of war. As Daisuke Shimada set yourself on a quest for revenge across the war-scorched countryside. From a seafaring village to a flying fortress to the legendary Isle of the Dead, the samurai will stop at nothing to hunt down his arch-enemy Orochi.
  • Syder Arcade by Studio Evil. Syder Arcade is a multi directional side scroller shoot ‘em up. A love letter to early 90’ games for the Amiga and PC. It’s an uncompromised old-school experience, a furious, challenging action game that will bring the player back in time, when games were all about skill and perseverance.
  • Dino Run SE by PixelJam. Strap on those raptor feet, grab your hat and get ready to out run doom in this prehistoric racing game.
  • Gunman Clive by Bertil Hörberg. In the year of 18XX, the west is overrun by thugs and outlaws. A group of bandits have kidnapped Mayor Johnsons daughter and are spreading havok across the land. Only Gunman Clive can bring order to the west and save the girl!
[/QUOTE]Good looks.

[quote name='Mooby']Might have already been posted: http://www.greenlightbundle.com/pressrelease.html (people have been having trouble viewing it in Chrome). More info:

The Green Light Bundle launches August 23rd with 8 celebrated games as a ‘pay what you want’ sale
The Green Light Bundle puts eight great indie games into one bundle. Gamers can decide for themselves what price they are willing to pay for this bundle. The developers are doing so in the hope that their games will soon be available on the Steam Store.
The Green Light Bundle launches on August 23rd, exactly one week prior to the community driven approval system Steam Greenlight (TM) goes live. With Steam Greenlight gamers can vote for games they want to be made available on the Steam Store. By showcasing these amazing games the games will get the exposure needed to kickstart their Steam Greenlight (TM) campaign, and thus increasing their chances of getting onto the Steam Store. Everybody wins!
The Green Light Bundle celebrates the launch of Steam Greenlight (TM) by making these games available for both PC & Mac. The bundle is an initiative by Stolen Couch Games. Like many other developers they too have had trouble trying to get their games onto Steam. The launch of Steam Greenlight (TM) gives every developer an equal chance of getting their games onto the Steam Store. With the Green Light Bundle we wants to highlight some amazing games not yet available on Steam. As mentioned before the Green Light Bundle contains eight great indie games:

• Ichi by Stolen Couch Games. Ichi is an easy to play but challenging one button puzzle game. Don't be deceived by the game’s simplistic look, it’s a brain twister for sure!
  • Paper Monsters by Crescent Moon Games. Dive into the world of Paper Monsters and watch a living world made out of paper, cardboard, and a few cotton balls unfold right before your eyes. Paper Monsters takes all of the classic 2d platforming elements, combines them with cutting edge graphics.
  • Muffin Knight by AngryMob Games. Muffin Knight is an action-packed platformer with stunning visuals and a myriad of fairytale characters, each with their own unique abilities which gain strength as you advance.
  • Guerrilla Bob by AngryMob Games. Get your finger on the trigger and prepare to fire! Guerrilla Bob is an action-packed shooter game with stunning visuals, plenty of kick-a*s weaponry, unique enemies, explosive ammunition and non-stop humor.
  • Samurai II Vengeance by Madfinger games. Become a wandering samurai in the ancient Japan during chaotic times of war. As Daisuke Shimada set yourself on a quest for revenge across the war-scorched countryside. From a seafaring village to a flying fortress to the legendary Isle of the Dead, the samurai will stop at nothing to hunt down his arch-enemy Orochi.
  • Syder Arcade by Studio Evil. Syder Arcade is a multi directional side scroller shoot ‘em up. A love letter to early 90’ games for the Amiga and PC. It’s an uncompromised old-school experience, a furious, challenging action game that will bring the player back in time, when games were all about skill and perseverance.
  • Dino Run SE by PixelJam. Strap on those raptor feet, grab your hat and get ready to out run doom in this prehistoric racing game.
  • Gunman Clive by Bertil Hörberg. In the year of 18XX, the west is overrun by thugs and outlaws. A group of bandits have kidnapped Mayor Johnsons daughter and are spreading havok across the land. Only Gunman Clive can bring order to the west and save the girl!
[/QUOTE]

Any word on whether or not it comes with keys (I'd imagine most of these are on Desura?) or if you'd get one if one of the games does end up making it to Steam?

[quote name='Preedatore']I miss the days of chilling with my friends, having some beers, playing epic month long games of risk. Online gaming has made huge strides over the past 10-15 years, but nothing compares to an infinite peace treaty between central america and venezuela.[/QUOTE]

Infinite peace treaties do not exist in Risk.

[quote name='jimbodan']Any word on whether or not it comes with keys (I'd imagine most of these are on Desura?) or if you'd get one if one of the games does end up making it to Steam?[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering about this as well. They might not come with any Desura keys as their main focus is to try to get the games on Steam, however they did say that Steam keys will be provided if they make it onto Steam. I haven't seen anything official about Desura keys being provided or not yet.

[quote name='Sophita']
The first game is Final Fantasy Tactics

Second game is Jade Cocoon[/QUOTE]

I have FFT on my shelf. Great game and I've played it many times! I can't say that I've tried Jade Cocoon. The PS was a great console and I hope mine hangs around for a long long time.

Ah, Muffin Knight. One of my son's favorite games on Android...

And I have FFT on my PSP. Played for a bit, but got my ass handed to me by archers.

[quote name='Sophita'] Final Fantasy Tactics

Jade Cocoon[/quote]

Agreed 100% on Final Fantasy Tactics. That is my number one Playstation game hands down. I will have to give Jade Cocoon a try. I bought it the day it came out, and it is still in my backlog. Woo!

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Infinite peace treaties do not exist in Risk.[/QUOTE]

That's true, but anytime me and my one friend acquired those two territories, the treaty was enacted. Taking a border out of play makes NA OP.

Note: This is really, really long. Just skip it if you aren't interested (it's just a long, peaceful response to Motoki, if he happens to see it). If you do happen to read it, the purpose of the post will be lost by just reading a part of it out of context. Then again, I doubt anyone will read this, so no worries.

Responses are in the spoiler buttons.

[quote name='Motoki']On the Idiotekque thing, since Asheskitty had to go and bring it up.
Here is the thing. Idiotekque I find your posts rude, condescending, insulting and argumentative. You seem to like to argue simply for the sake of arguing and by your own admission will even find arguments to make when you agree with people. You get these knee jerk reactions whenever the majority think something and simply must play devil's advocate. You also won't back down. Ever. Back and forth back and forth. This isn't high school debate club. You don't need to enlighten people to other viewpoints. You can't make anyone see anything they don't want to see. All you can do is make yourself feel like you won argument on the internet.[/QUOTE]

Well first off, I appreciate you at least explaining how you feel rather just than throwing out rude, jerky remarks. I've never singled you out and been rude to you (besides saying "What the heck, Motoki hates me."). I do have the tendency to debate, but not because I think only my opinion is right, and not because I enjoy arguing.

The problem is that when you sit down and read a post that is (by nature) explaining one's point of view, it's very easy to interpret it in different ways. Not due to the content, but due to the attitude, tone of voice, etc. Obviously you can't always tell how words on a screen "are said", and that's where the problem lies. Sometimes it’s easy to assume that someone (me) is trying to be argumentative, know-it-all, etc, while sometimes people (like Asheskitty) read the posts and understood where they were coming from.

You did see my posts as argumentative, and along those lines, you always do. I'm not going to get into an argument (lol) about this, because either way, I suppose it doesn’t really matter, but clearly you don't like me. Part of the reason I’ve been a bit rude with you, is because instead of coming at that dislike for me in a civil, mature way (which you have to an extent now), you've just been a jerk to me the only times you’ve said something to or about me. While I know I debate now and then, I never intentionally am rude to anyone.

There are times you have thought I was being rude though, like for example when I posted about Ticket to Ride. I said something along the lines of "It looks pretty lame". Yes, that does sound blunt and rude towards a game that people like, and you made sure to chime in that "Idiotekque has no manners", but you didn't pay attention to the rest of that comment that I made. I said it looked pretty lame at first glance, and asked what the hubbub was about it. Why? Because I knew absolutely zero about the game besides hearing a LOT of people praising it. Then I went to look at pictures, and saw pictures of train conductors and whatnot. The pictures did not tell me much about the game, and they didn't make it look fun (a lot of really great games don’t LOOK fun from pictures). Another problem is that you probably had me on ignore, so you didn't hear the rest of what I said, which was basically "It looked pretty lame at first glance judging from the pictures, so that must really say something for the gameplay". I ended the discussion saying that I would definitely pick it up at 75% off.

I also got a PM later that day from someone apologizing for how Motoki and some others can be “elitist assholes” about certain things. I wouldn’t go that far, but it shows that branding something on someone isn’t always exactly fair. It wasn’t fair of that person to call you that, just like it isn’t fair for you to brand certain things on me.

Coming from instances like that, you have your perception of me painted and set in stone, even if you claim to continue to “give me chances”. Basically, no matter what I say, it really seems like you're going to take it negatively and argumentatively, even if it's not.

The problem with the word "argument" is that it's subjective. I enjoy a healthy debate. Why? Not because I think only my way is right, but because I like hearing different sides and perspectives of the subject. When I said that it was good to "look at things from two sides", I wasn't telling everyone that they should do that, I was more trying to explain that I do that, and that's why now and again I may take the contrary stance on a matter. I'm in no way upset, angry, self-centered etc when I'm doing this, and a lot of time I actually would more easily sway towards the popular opinion (especially in this last case; that was an awful article). That said, I also tend to sympathize with someone who is getting bashed (like GamerX here), whether they deserve it or not, and I offered a different perspective that explained a likely issue he is having and how that issue created... a really crappy article.

In the end, you (and probably others) seem to see a continued discussion from two different sides of the spectrum as one person insisting that their way is right. Just because someone takes a stance on something contrary to the popular opinion doesn’t mean that he is being a difficult asshole in continuing that discussion, or that he believes he has the end all, know all view on the matter. Along those lines, it does seem like you just want me to shut up, because you (and others) don’t agree with me. That’s a little unfair. When people look at the posts in the right light, the result is pretty pleasant. I enjoyed the debate/discussion I had with Asheskitty, and he or she mentioned how it was interesting to hear about some of that behind the scenes article writing/SEO stuff, regardless if he or she agreed with the point I brought up. Hell, I didn’t end up agreeing with the point I brought up (explained more later in the post).

[quote name='Motoki']Rude, sarcastic and presumptuous. It implies people are expressing their opinion in part or in whole simply to go along with the bandwagon. You also don't know what people did or didn't read. If someone has a different interpretation than you that does not mean they didn't read something.[/QUOTE]

Admittedly, yes. You picked an isolated comment that could indeed be seen as rude. It was a little bit rude, yes. Do you know why I said this though?

You post on this topic a lot. You start the little trends (Coconut Queen, simulators, etc), you pulled together your own private group (which has gotten bigger since; hell, I’m in it), and if anyone could be considered the “celebrities” of the Steam Deal thread, it’s you, CheapLikeAFox, and BigSpoonyBard. Because of this, when you make a joke, or take a side on a subject, people DO tend not only to agree with you, but to flat out post “Oh yeah! I think so too!” Why? Simple, people like you, because it’s the internet and you post lots of funny stuff. And yes, you’re a smart guy and you make useful posts too.

However that comes with the entire “bandwagon” thing. I see it over, and over, and over again. It happens on ANY online forum with lots of members. Certain ones get more popular than others, and people follow their lead. I know you understand this; people do follow your lead (I think Sunasun has worshipped you and Coconut Queen since you started that trend). There’s nothing wrong with that, and I’m not saying there is, but it can get annoying sometimes, especially when someone else brings up valid points on a subject with an opinion contrary to yours. There’s nothing wrong with “swimming upstream”, so to speak, but it’s still a little funny how that all works.

That said, I wasn’t being sarcastic. I think the entire bandwagon thing is funny. There’s also really nothing wrong with it. It actually goes to show the companionship between the CAGs here. So yes, it IS nice to see everyone jumping on a bandwagon sometimes, lol. I understand why you saw the comment as rude and sarcastic, but that actually wasn’t the intention. I apologize (to everyone) if that’s how it came across.

As for being presumptuous, not so much. I don’t always mince words, and no, not everyone read that topic before forming an opinion. There’s nothing wrong with that, and I wasn’t even rebuking people for not doing so. I don’t always read articles in their entirety either. Even someone who was “arguing” with me admitted that they didn’t read the article though, so if it was a “presumptuous assumption”, it was a correct one.

[quote name='Motoki']Then there is no need to argue. No one mentioned search engines. You brought that up because you felt the need to find something argue about and validate the article's worth, but no one cares. No one said 'Oh this is a bad article because of search engine optimization'. It doesn't matter. You're just finding random things to argue about for the sake of arguing because it bugs the hell out of you that the majority of people here are trashing something and you seem to feel it's your god given duty to show the other side of things or find some other side to show.[/QUOTE]

I brought up search engine optimization because it was directly linked to what I was talking about. How so?

Site owner with not enough time on his hands
Losing revenue to Steam/pushing DRM free in a society where Steam is king
Struggling to keep up a site that probably isn’t doing very well
Needs more page hits (for both ad revenue and people who will actually like the site)
Pumps out shoddy articles now and then because of these reasons
Does this because SEO favors consistency (quality or not) over slow quality

I never ever brought up “search engines” just to “argue” or “be right”. I did so because… well, that’s what I was talking about in the first place. It was really just a commentary on how it’s pretty stupid how SEO works, and how GamerX is probably struggling. All I ever said was that the article PROBABLY (I can’t count how many times I’ve said probably) sucks because of reason 1, reason 2, etc. And although I did find it funny how a crappy article or two will make people never look or buy indie bundles connected to that site, I never called those people stupid, or insisted that they should rethink their stance. That’s a personal thing, and principle based in a way.

To reiterate, the above paragraph is not me arguing with you. I’m explaining why SEO was brought up, and how I did not bring it up as an argument. That’s all.

[quote name='Motoki']Assumptions. It's not fact. You aren't in people's heads. You're basically saying almost everyone is a blind sheep who follows along but you know better![/QUOTE]

I’m not totally sure how to respond to this, but I mean… really? Pretty much everyone on occasion jumps on the internet to do things quickly. For example, maybe I want to research something (that’s not particularly important) quickly. If I was serious about it, I’d probably look into encyclopedias, etc etc to find a lot of info about it. If I just wanna check it out quickly, I’ll probably hop on Wikipedia and spend a few minutes skimming the entry. It’s not really an assumption to guess that pretty much everyone here has jumped on Wikipedia (or Google, or whatever) really quick to find something out. But hey, I could very well be wrong.

But that’s not even a bad thing or a rude assumption, is it? The internet lets you do things quickly; i.e. “instant gratification”. The subject just came up because it’s unfortunate how SEO favors that “instant gratification” over actual quality. But you “assume” here that I’m saying that “everyone is a blind sheep who follows along” and I “know better”? That’s kind of a rude assumption of my character.

[quote name='Motoki']And you know, if you had said that and exactly that without the confrontational argumentative 'you're wrong!' attitude and snide remarks about everyone jumping on the bandwagon I wouldn't have reacted at all. The above is a reasonable expression that is not confrontational, snide, rude, argumentative or disrespectful to anyone here. But that's NOT what you said.[/QUOTE]

Like I said near the beginning of this post, it seems like you see anything that I say in a negative light. You immediately decide what my intentions are (negative and haughty), and after that, there’s really no turning back from that viewpoint. If you could read my posts from a neutral perspective, you could see that it was never my intention to “be right” or shove my opinion down peoples’ throats.

Do you see how often I’ve used the word “probably” in my entire discussion about GamerX’s theoretical woes and them being the cause of his crappy article? Do I KNOW that he’s dealing with those issues and that that’s why that crappy article came out? No, I don’t! That’s why I say “probably”, because I’m saying “Everyone’s hating on him, but it’s probably not as simple as that. He probably is dealing with these issues, and that’s why his work is suffering; it’s too bad.” It was an idea from a theoretical viewpoint from the get go, and I implied that a number of times.

For my posts to be conceived as completely peaceful and non-“I’m right! I’m right!”, perhaps I should write a disclaimer before every post saying:

In the following post I in no way believe my opinion to be the only true opinion. I do not think that my perspective on the matter is the only correct one, and it may be the incorrect one. I am only offering my own insight into the issue, which may be either noted or disregarded on an individual basis.

That would be silly though. The problem is that when something sounds the least bit blunt and opinionated on my part, you immediately are irritated by it and you think I’m trying to be right, when I’m really not. Obviously I understood that that’s how you felt, so I went and added that I wasn’t trying to be right, that it was just an idea, etc etc. Yet still you feel it necessary to drag me under the bus, and criticize me for not saying that immediately from the start. Is that really fair?

This is an internet forum. They are FULL of blunt opinions that show no concern or care for what other people think. Still I try to explain myself to ease any “hurt feelings” or such, and still that is not enough for you. It kind of appears that the only way to appease you on my part would be to simply to never post any view I have on anything. Of course you just put me on ignore (which I don’t mind one way or the other), but then on that chance occasion that someone quotes me and replies to me, you find the need to be insult me. You’ve done this on a number of occasions when I said nothing rude, and you know that.

[quote name='Motoki']Again with this. I was tempted to stoop to your level and say 'Well if you had read my post you would know I did in fact get that you weren't disagreeing with everyone and was in fact satirizing the fact that you were finding any little excuse to argue and see a different point no matter ie "How do you know you enjoyed it?"

You need to stop saying people didn't read something because their interpretation is not what you think it should be. Perhaps a less confrontational 'That wasn't my interpretation' is in order. In any case you do not know what someone has or has not read.[/QUOTE]

The only reason I mentioned that the person who replied to me might not have read my post was because he said that it looked like I was “advocating” sloppy, quick articles. I wasn’t, and before he posted that, I clearly stated that I didn’t like how SEO favored those quick, weak articles in favor of slow, quality ones. If he had read my posts closely, he would have seen that.

There’s nothing wrong with skimming posts; I do it too sometimes. It was just a simple misunderstanding; I was saying “Oh, you probably didn’t notice that I said this before in a previous post”, etc. I wasn’t being rude to him, and I never just said “Read my posts, you’re wrong.” I put that “Maybe you didn’t read my post, I’m not sure” at the beginning of my reply to him, and then reiterated what I said or implied before.

And I wasn’t going to talk about your little post to me a few pages back, but since you brought it up, what the hell, right? Your post was nothing more than a rude, mocking, childish insult. You could have civilly and respectfully stated your distaste for something I said, but instead you just made fun of me. That was hurtful, and people chiming in and laughing at it was hurtful too. What does it matter though, right? It’s just my feelings; nothing important.

[quote name='Motoki']Irrelevent. No one said the whole site was crap.[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. A lot of people made comments along the lines of “I’m never going to that site again” or “That company isn’t getting any of my money”. Those are sweeping generalizations that since one article was shoddy, the entire site, company, etc, is crap and deserves no respect. That’s a personal decision, and no matter what anyone decides to think, there’s nothing wrong with that. I just decided to link another article of GamerX’s to show that he isn’t as crappy as a writer as everyone thought (even I assumed he was until I read it).

On further inspection, the site is generally crap though.

[quote name='Motoki']It's not what you say, but how you say it. I've tried many times internally to give you many chances but your posts always come off as rude, confrontational and argumentative to me.[/QUOTE]

And that’s fine; fair enough. It’s hard because you can’t hear HOW I say things. Some things like sarcasm can be pulled from sentences where there was no sarcasm intended, and sometimes a sarcastic or joking sentence can be taken as a serious one. In the end though, you see my posts in a certain way, and I don’t think there’s any changing that. That’s totally fine, and that’s why you can ignore my posts. Just please don’t feel that it is your “God given duty” to say something snarky or rude when someone happens to quote one of my posts, as you’ve done a number of times in the past. That’s mean.

If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all. (I have to tell myself that too.)

[quote name='Motoki']I'll be honest and there's no non-condescending way to say this so I'm just going to put it out there. When I saw your age it explained a lot to me. There's something about being young that tends to make people think they know a lot even with little life experience and there's something about getting older that tends to make (some) people admit that they don't know a lot even though they have more life experience. It annoyed the hell out of me when people would say stuff like that when I was younger and yet I get it now.

Yes this is a generalization, no it is not true in all cases, but in my head I need to try and make sense of why you come off as a rude, condescending, last word know it all to me all the time without even seeming to realize it and it was either your age or Aspberger's. Otherwise I just can't figure it out.[/QUOTE]

I get what you’re saying, and it’s not really condescending, no. I understand that, and for the most part you’re right. The only misconception here is that when I (continue to) make comments towards a subject. I say something, someone says something back, I reply, etc. I enjoy the discussion; I’m not trying to get in the last word edgewise or prove that I’m right or that my view is better. I’ll try to explain that, because that’s clearly problem.

I pretty much read every page of this thread (quite the mental workout, sometimes), so I enjoy seeing people start a discussion on something, take different sides on the matter, and let the words fly. Not to say I like to see people argue; that’s the thing. I enjoy it when RollingSkull comes in, bashes a game (with explained reasoning), and someone else who disagrees comes along and replies. The last conversation between RollingSkull and Hal (I think it was Hal; the guy with the monkey in a suit avatar) was great, because I got to see two people who are fans of the Serious Sam games explain why think certain games in the series are good or bad. It was a REALLY useful debate to read through, because I’ve never played any of the games. I came to the conclusion that if Serious Sam TSE went on sale for a little cheaper, I would probably grab it.

So sometimes, a topic comes up that I feel I have something to say about. This honestly doesn’t always happen, because… well, I’m only 21 and half the time I DON’T know much about the subject. There have been loads of discussions about things like Onlive and the layoffs, president firing people, selling the company, asking them to come back, etc. Did I post an opinion on that? No, because I didn’t know enough about the subject to add anything useful to the discussion. Believe it or not, I don’t know everything, and I don’t think I do.

But like I said, something there are topics that I feel I have something useful to add to. For example, during the Steam sale everybody was talking about Fallout 3 and New Vegas because they were on sale. I was late to the discussion (because that thread moved… really fast), but I kept up on it and ran into a couple posts about the games. One was simply a troll saying “f3 is the worst game to come out in a decade”, one was something along the lines of “New Vegas is way better than F3”, and the rest of the posts were people asking for help on deciding which to buy, if they should buy any, etc.

I have played the Fallout series for years, and it’s one of my favorites, so I felt I had something to add to the conversation. I talked about how Fallout 3 and New Vegas are very similar, and how I personally wouldn’t consider one better than the other, but I brought out the changes and fixes that New Vegas brought (ADS, a better crafting system, etc), and how a lot of people consider Fallout 3 to still be the better game due to storyline, a bigger map, better wastelandy feel, etc. Just like now, I didn’t think that I was right or wrong, and I didn’t imply so either. New Vegas probably is the better game because of the fixes it brought, but that’s just opinion I guess.

With this last topic about GATT and that article, I decided to chime in because I happened to have a little experience behind the scenes in the subject matter. I’ve worked for a company owner with no time on his hands who needed blog posts for traffic (his SEO guy was breathing down his neck). The result was that he was forced to write some articles himself, and they weren’t badly written, but they were very short. That’s why I thought it was worth mentioning that GamerX was probably going through the same thing. I had a little insight into the matter, so I brought it up. When people came back saying “No, that’s crap, he should still post quality stuff” my response was basically “Yes, I agree with you; he should; but sadly, SEO doesn’t agree with us.” It’s hard to say I was forcing my thoughts down peoples’ throats when I agreed with the popular opinion in the first place, and continually stated that.

So I had something to say about that subject, because I had a little experience on the subject. That honestly doesn’t happen a whole lot; I’m young, and my “areas of expertise” include video games, writing (technical and fiction), and graphic arts (to a limited degree). I don’t have a wealth of knowledge and experience, because yes, I’m only 21. That said, I’m not trying to be high and mighty when I say that I can honestly say I don’t know it all.

For example, I looked at GATT a bit more and found that there are actually a number of article writers other than GamerX, and that they post A LOT. In a way, I completely retract any idea that GamerX has an excuse for copying and pasting a Skype conversation to make up the bulk of an article. He has more than enough articles being posted to the site on a daily basis that he doesn’t need to rush an article like that. Further than that, I found an article (written by another writer on the site) about “Onami” releasing Castlevania LoS 2. That’s really sad; a typo that bad in the TITLE of an article, and on the front page? I can safely say I will not be going to that site for reviews or gaming news (even though I would probably still grab one of their bundles if it was cheap enough and I liked the games in it).

From the get go, I wasn’t trying to say I was right. I didn’t even have a solid opinion on the matter, I just was talking along the lines of bringing up another side of the coin that may or may not be the case. People like Asheskitty read my posts and understood that (even though you might say that I “argued” with him), and the people I was “arguing” with, I didn’t really feel like we were arguing at all. Mostly because I agreed with what they were saying, I was just talking about how SEO can be pretty ridiculous.

[quote name='Motoki']Oh and lastly, go ahead and argue with me point by point and tell me how wrong I am. I don't care. You're going back on ignore yet again. Let me be clear in that this post is to explain myself to other people who I respect and you Idiotekque are not one of those people I respect.[/QUOTE]

In case it’s not clear to you, nothing I’ve said in this post is me “arguing” with you. I am not right or wrong here; I’m only explaining myself to you in a level, detailed fashion, because this is the most mature comment you’ve ever offered to me, and because you’re saying some things about me as a person. Obviously you see my posts as “wanting to argue or be right”, and now I understand that. So here I am explaining that that is not my intention, and that you are reading my posts the wrong way. I’m sure it’s best for both of us if you simply don’t read my posts (i.e. Ignore) so that won’t continue to be an issue, but regardless, since you took the time to maturely explain yourself, I felt you deserved an explanation from me (not an argument, because there’s nothing here to be “wrong” about; you’re not “wrong”). I don’t know if you’ll see this or not, but oh well.

It’s funny how you see my posts though, and think that I view myself and my opinion so highly. Have you read my name? Have you looked at my avatar? Not many people call themselves an “idiot”. The avatar is of two people pointing guns at each others heads. The next panel of that scene had them both bleeding, dead on the ground (not exactly SFW). Yes, the name references a Radiohead song, and I kind of think all humans are idiots in their own ways, but that idea doesn’t exclude me. I use it as my name because it applies to me (too well). Why?

I have made too many wrong turns in (my very short) life, and I continue to make them on a daily basis. I hate my face. I often try to fix something so fervently, that I make it worse than when I started. I hurt the people who mean the most to me without trying. I forget to clip my toenails for way too long. I’m a bleeding heart in all the wrong ways, and probably none of the right ones. I come across as an asshole sometimes, because I get tired of caring what people think. I cheated on my girlfriend once. I like to debate. I dropped my cousin’s slice of pizza on the ground once and didn’t tell him when I gave it back.

I could go on forever. I’m young. I’m human. I’m an idiot. If the name wasn’t a strong enough statement towards that fact, the avatar is supposed to reiterate it. I’m frequently wrong, and occasionally right. In fact I was just wrong about GamerX; he is indeed an idiot (too).

By all of this reasoning, you may agree that it would be better if I simply didn’t post. If I’m an idiot, who wants to hear me speak, right? Maybe a lot of people here would agree with that idea. Feel free to say so if you do; maybe a couple hundred signatures will convince me to stop posting. Still, I come to this site because I’m bored, and it’s fun to talk about games, find deals, and shoot the breeze now and then. Perhaps my skin is a bit thicker when it comes to online debates, because I used to frequent forums like GameFAQs and a community site for an old online game that was pretty much nothing BUT debates. I do forget that it’s easy for people to take written comments the wrong way on forums, so comments that I quickly punch out and post are sometimes blunt, and construed as “rude”, “condescending”, etc. I clearly have to watch for that more closely.

That said, I do try to post useful things too. I manage the GOG Deals thread (although I’ve been slow on it lately), and when I do know something about a game, I try to offer good input on it (I have a fair number of reviews on Steam too). It’s a little upsetting when the “useful” posts fall by the wayside and the “bad” posts are the only ones that people pay attention to, but what can I do?

In any case, this post has gone on for way, way, way too long. If anyone actually read it, that’s cool. If not? How could I ask you too, it’s 9 pages long or something. I didn’t write this in the hopes that you (Motoki) would decide to apologize and like me. Quite frankly, I don’t really care. It would be nice to bury the hatchet, because besides the annoyance received from your occasional insults to me, I really don’t have anything against you. That, and it’s the internet. I find it silly to get mad/offended/annoyed by people on a public forum talking about video games, but that’s just me.

And if all of that wasn’t enough to explain things:

Mea culpa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hubby and I just played an hour or so of Lord of the Rings: War in the North. We had a surprisingly good time. We spent a while just figuring things out, how to trade items, how quests worked together. Controls are great so far, the game is beautiful. It feels very much like Skyrim, just set in The Lord of the Rings universe.

I didn't have long to play as I have to work early tomorrow, but we're excited about tomorrow. He's playing the Dwarf, Farin, who has this ability to see when walls are weak and may conceal a secret. We already found sweet loot behind one wall, and we saved right at another.

Cliffhanger!

[quote name='utopianmachine']Hubby and I just played an hour or so of Lord of the Rings: War in the North. We had a surprisingly good time. We spent a while just figuring things out, how to trade items, how quests worked together. Controls are great so far, the game is beautiful. It feels very much like Skyrim, just set in The Lord of the Rings universe.

I didn't have long to play as I have to work early tomorrow, but we're excited about tomorrow. He's playing the Dwarf, Farin, who has this ability to see when walls are weak and may conceal a secret. We already found sweet loot behind one wall, and we saved right at another.

Cliffhanger![/QUOTE]

Really glad you're enjoying yourself. The game is an absolute blast for me so far, I'm loving every minute of it. You have many more treasures waiting for your hopefully keen eyes. It's pretty hard to find the hidden caches sometimes, and they'll inevitably slip past you a couple of times, but although it's a little frustrating, it doesn't make the game any less fun. ;)

What character did you decide to go with?

[/QUOTE]

These are all pretty tepid Iphone ports. Gunman Clive is GREAT though.

[quote name='utopianmachine'] He's playing the Dwarf, Farin, who has this ability to see when walls are weak and may conceal a secret. We already found sweet loot behind one wall, and we saved right at another.

Cliffhanger![/QUOTE]

They all have abilities to find hidden things. The mage sees runes, and and the ranger sees tracks.

[quote name='sunghost'] however they did say that Steam keys will be provided if they make it onto Steam. [/QUOTE]

That's awesome! I'm definitely more intrigued now and will probably pick it up.

Didn't see this posted but it looks like there is a 5,000 beta key giveaway on Steam Gifts for some game called Tryst if anyone is interested.

[quote name='Idiotekque']
Note
: This is really, really long. Just skip it if you aren't interested (it's just a long, peaceful response to Motoki, if he happens to see it). If you do happen to read it, the purpose of the post will be lost by just reading a part of it out of context. Then again, I doubt anyone will read this, so no worries.

Well first off, I appreciate you at least explaining how you feel rather just than throwing out rude, jerky remarks. I've never singled you out and been rude to you (besides saying "What the heck, Motoki hates me."). I do have the tendency to debate, but not because I think only my opinion is right, and not because I enjoy arguing.

The problem is that when you sit down and read a post that is (by nature) explaining one's point of view, it's very easy to interpret it in different ways. Not due to the content, but due to the attitude, tone of voice, etc. Obviously you can't always tell how words on a screen "are said", and that's where the problem lies. Sometimes it’s easy to assume that someone (me) is trying to be argumentative, know-it-all, etc, while sometimes people (like Asheskitty) read the posts and understood where they were coming from.

You did see my posts as argumentative, and along those lines, you always do. I'm not going to get into an argument (lol) about this, because either way, I suppose it doesn’t really matter, but clearly you don't like me. Part of the reason I’ve been a bit rude with you, is because instead of coming at that dislike for me in a civil, mature way (which you have to an extent now), you've just been a jerk to me the only times you’ve said something to or about me. While I know I debate now and then, I never intentionally am rude to anyone.

There are times you have thought I was being rude though, like for example when I posted about Ticket to Ride. I said something along the lines of "It looks pretty lame". Yes, that does sound blunt and rude towards a game that people like, and you made sure to chime in that "Idiotekque has no manners", but you didn't pay attention to the rest of that comment that I made. I said it looked pretty lame at first glance, and asked what the hubbub was about it. Why? Because I knew absolutely zero about the game besides hearing a LOT of people praising it. Then I went to look at pictures, and saw pictures of train conductors and whatnot. The pictures did not tell me much about the game, and they didn't make it look fun (a lot of really great games don’t LOOK fun from pictures). Another problem is that you probably had me on ignore, so you didn't hear the rest of what I said, which was basically "It looked pretty lame at first glance judging from the pictures, so that must really say something for the gameplay". I ended the discussion saying that I would definitely pick it up at 75% off.

I also got a PM later that day from someone apologizing for how Motoki and some others can be “elitist assholes” about certain things. I wouldn’t go that far, but it shows that branding something on someone isn’t always exactly fair. It wasn’t fair of that person to call you that, just like it isn’t fair for you to brand certain things on me.

Coming from instances like that, you have your perception of me painted and set in stone, even if you claim to continue to “give me chances”. Basically, no matter what I say, it really seems like you're going to take it negatively and argumentatively, even if it's not.

The problem with the word "argument" is that it's subjective. I enjoy a healthy debate. Why? Not because I think only my way is right, but because I like hearing different sides and perspectives of the subject. When I said that it was good to "look at things from two sides", I wasn't telling everyone that they should do that, I was more trying to explain that I do that, and that's why now and again I may take the contrary stance on a matter. I'm in no way upset, angry, self-centered etc when I'm doing this, and a lot of time I actually would more easily sway towards the popular opinion (especially in this last case; that was an awful article). That said, I also tend to sympathize with someone who is getting bashed (like GamerX here), whether they deserve it or not, and I offered a different perspective that explained a likely issue he is having and how that issue created... a really crappy article.

In the end, you (and probably others) seem to see a continued discussion from two different sides of the spectrum as one person insisting that their way is right. Just because someone takes a stance on something contrary to the popular opinion doesn’t mean that he is being a difficult asshole in continuing that discussion, or that he believes he has the end all, know all view on the matter. Along those lines, it does seem like you just want me to shut up, because you (and others) don’t agree with me. That’s a little unfair. When people look at the posts in the right light, the result is pretty pleasant. I enjoyed the debate/discussion I had with Asheskitty, and he or she mentioned how it was interesting to hear about some of that behind the scenes article writing/SEO stuff, regardless if he or she agreed with the point I brought up. Hell, I didn’t end up agreeing with the point I brought up (explained more later in the post).

Admittedly, yes. You picked an isolated comment that could indeed be seen as rude. It was a little bit rude, yes. Do you know why I said this though?

You post on this topic a lot. You start the little trends (Coconut Queen, simulators, etc), you pulled together your own private group (which has gotten bigger since; hell, I’m in it), and if anyone could be considered the “celebrities” of the Steam Deal thread, it’s you, CheapLikeAFox, and BigSpoonyBard. Because of this, when you make a joke, or take a side on a subject, people DO tend not only to agree with you, but to flat out post “Oh yeah! I think so too!” Why? Simple, people like you, because it’s the internet and you post lots of funny stuff. And yes, you’re a smart guy and you make useful posts too.

However that comes with the entire “bandwagon” thing. I see it over, and over, and over again. It happens on ANY online forum with lots of members. Certain ones get more popular than others, and people follow their lead. I know you understand this; people do follow your lead (I think Sunasun has worshipped you and Coconut Queen since you started that trend). There’s nothing wrong with that, and I’m not saying there is, but it can get annoying sometimes, especially when someone else brings up valid points on a subject with an opinion contrary to yours. There’s nothing wrong with “swimming upstream”, so to speak, but it’s still a little funny how that all works.

That said, I wasn’t being sarcastic. I think the entire bandwagon thing is funny. There’s also really nothing wrong with it. It actually goes to show the companionship between the CAGs here. So yes, it IS nice to see everyone jumping on a bandwagon sometimes, lol. I understand why you saw the comment as rude and sarcastic, but that actually wasn’t the intention. I apologize (to everyone) if that’s how it came across.

As for being presumptuous, not so much. I don’t always mince words, and no, not everyone read that topic before forming an opinion. There’s nothing wrong with that, and I wasn’t even rebuking people for not doing so. I don’t always read articles in their entirety either. Even someone who was “arguing” with me admitted that they didn’t read the article though, so if it was a “presumptuous assumption”, it was a correct one.

I brought up search engine optimization because it was directly linked to what I was talking about. How so?

Needs more page hits (for both ad revenue and people who will actually like the site)

I never ever brought up “search engines” just to “argue” or “be right”. I did so because… well, that’s what I was talking about in the first place. It was really just a commentary on how it’s pretty stupid how SEO works, and how GamerX is probably struggling. All I ever said was that the article PROBABLY (I can’t count how many times I’ve said probably) sucks because of reason 1, reason 2, etc. And although I did find it funny how a crappy article or two will make people never look or buy indie bundles connected to that site, I never called those people stupid, or insisted that they should rethink their stance. That’s a personal thing, and principle based in a way.

To reiterate, the above paragraph is not me arguing with you. I’m explaining why SEO was brought up, and how I did not bring it up as an argument. That’s all.

I’m not totally sure how to respond to this, but I mean… really? Pretty much everyone on occasion jumps on the internet to do things quickly. For example, maybe I want to research something (that’s not particularly important) quickly. If I was serious about it, I’d probably look into encyclopedias, etc etc to find a lot of info about it. If I just wanna check it out quickly, I’ll probably hop on Wikipedia and spend a few minutes skimming the entry. It’s not really an assumption to guess that pretty much everyone here has jumped on Wikipedia (or Google, or whatever) really quick to find something out. But hey, I could very well be wrong.

But that’s not even a bad thing or a rude assumption, is it? The internet lets you do things quickly; i.e. “instant gratification”. The subject just came up because it’s unfortunate how SEO favors that “instant gratification” over actual quality. But you “assume” here that I’m saying that “everyone is a blind sheep who follows along” and I “know better”? That’s kind of a rude assumption of my character.

Like I said near the beginning of this post, it seems like you see anything that I say in a negative light. You immediately decide what my intentions are (negative and haughty), and after that, there’s really no turning back from that viewpoint. If you could read my posts from a neutral perspective, you could see that it was never my intention to “be right” or shove my opinion down peoples’ throats.

Do you see how often I’ve used the word “probably” in my entire discussion about GamerX’s theoretical woes and them being the cause of his crappy article? Do I KNOW that he’s dealing with those issues and that that’s why that crappy article came out? No, I don’t! That’s why I say “probably”, because I’m saying “Everyone’s hating on him, but it’s probably not as simple as that. He probably is dealing with these issues, and that’s why his work is suffering; it’s too bad.” It was an idea from a theoretical viewpoint from the get go, and I implied that a number of times.

For my posts to be conceived as completely peaceful and non-“I’m right! I’m right!”, perhaps I should write a disclaimer before every post saying:

In the following post I in no way believe my opinion to be the only true opinion. I do not think that my perspective on the matter is the only correct one, and it may be the incorrect one. I am only offering my own insight into the issue, which may be either noted or disregarded on an individual basis.

That would be silly though. The problem is that when something sounds the least bit blunt and opinionated on my part, you immediately are irritated by it and you think I’m trying to be right, when I’m really not. Obviously I understood that that’s how you felt, so I went and added that I wasn’t trying to be right, that it was just an idea, etc etc. Yet still you feel it necessary to drag me under the bus, and criticize me for not saying that immediately from the start. Is that really fair?

This is an internet forum. They are FULL of blunt opinions that show no concern or care for what other people think. Still I try to explain myself to ease any “hurt feelings” or such, and still that is not enough for you. It kind of appears that the only way to appease you on my part would be to simply to never post any view I have on anything. Of course you just put me on ignore (which I don’t mind one way or the other), but then on that chance occasion that someone quotes me and replies to me, you find the need to be insult me. You’ve done this on a number of occasions when I said nothing rude, and you know that.

The only reason I mentioned that the person who replied to me might not have read my post was because he said that it looked like I was “advocating” sloppy, quick articles. I wasn’t, and before he posted that, I clearly stated that I didn’t like how SEO favored those quick, weak articles in favor of slow, quality ones. If he had read my posts closely, he would have seen that.

There’s nothing wrong with skimming posts; I do it too sometimes. It was just a simple misunderstanding; I was saying “Oh, you probably didn’t notice that I said this before in a previous post”, etc. I wasn’t being rude to him, and I never just said “Read my posts, you’re wrong.” I put that “Maybe you didn’t read my post, I’m not sure” at the beginning of my reply to him, and then reiterated what I said or implied before.

And I wasn’t going to talk about your little post to me a few pages back, but since you brought it up, what the hell, right? Your post was nothing more than a rude, mocking, childish insult. You could have civilly and respectfully stated your distaste for something I said, but instead you just made fun of me. That was hurtful, and people chiming in and laughing at it was hurtful too. What does it matter though, right? It’s just my feelings; nothing important.

Yes and no. A lot of people made comments along the lines of “I’m never going to that site again” or “That company isn’t getting any of my money”. Those are sweeping generalizations that since one article was shoddy, the entire site, company, etc, is crap and deserves no respect. That’s a personal decision, and no matter what anyone decides to think, there’s nothing wrong with that. I just decided to link another article of GamerX’s to show that he isn’t as crappy as a writer as everyone thought (even I assumed he was until I read it).

And that’s fine; fair enough. It’s hard because you can’t hear HOW I say things. Some things like sarcasm can be pulled from sentences where there was no sarcasm intended, and sometimes a sarcastic or joking sentence can be taken as a serious one. In the end though, you see my posts in a certain way, and I don’t think there’s any changing that. That’s totally fine, and that’s why you can ignore my posts. Just please don’t feel that it is your “God given duty” to say something snarky or rude when someone happens to quote one of my posts, as you’ve done a number of times in the past. That’s mean.

If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all. (I have to tell myself that too.)

I get what you’re saying, and it’s not really condescending, no. I understand that, and for the most part you’re right. The only misconception here is that when I (continue to) make comments towards a subject. I say something, someone says something back, I reply, etc. I enjoy the discussion; I’m not trying to get in the last word edgewise or prove that I’m right or that my view is better. I’ll try to explain that, because that’s clearly problem.

I pretty much read every page of this thread (quite the mental workout, sometimes), so I enjoy seeing people start a discussion on something, take different sides on the matter, and let the words fly. Not to say I like to see people argue; that’s the thing. I enjoy it when RollingSkull comes in, bashes a game (with explained reasoning), and someone else who disagrees comes along and replies. The last conversation between RollingSkull and Hal (I think it was Hal; the guy with the monkey in a suit avatar) was great, because I got to see two people who are fans of the Serious Sam games explain why think certain games in the series are good or bad. It was a REALLY useful debate to read through, because I’ve never played any of the games. I came to the conclusion that if Serious Sam TSE went on sale for a little cheaper, I would probably grab it.

So sometimes, a topic comes up that I feel I have something to say about. This honestly doesn’t always happen, because… well, I’m only 21 and half the time I DON’T know much about the subject. There have been loads of discussions about things like Onlive and the layoffs, president firing people, selling the company, asking them to come back, etc. Did I post an opinion on that? No, because I didn’t know enough about the subject to add anything useful to the discussion. Believe it or not, I don’t know everything, and I don’t think I do.

But like I said, something there are topics that I feel I have something useful to add to. For example, during the Steam sale everybody was talking about Fallout 3 and New Vegas because they were on sale. I was late to the discussion (because that thread moved… really fast), but I kept up on it and ran into a couple posts about the games. One was simply a troll saying “f3 is the worst game to come out in a decade”, one was something along the lines of “New Vegas is way better than F3”, and the rest of the posts were people asking for help on deciding which to buy, if they should buy any, etc.

I have played the Fallout series for years, and it’s one of my favorites, so I felt I had something to add to the conversation. I talked about how Fallout 3 and New Vegas are very similar, and how I personally wouldn’t consider one better than the other, but I brought out the changes and fixes that New Vegas brought (ADS, a better crafting system, etc), and how a lot of people consider Fallout 3 to still be the better game due to storyline, a bigger map, better wastelandy feel, etc. Just like now, I didn’t think that I was right or wrong, and I didn’t imply so either. New Vegas probably is the better game because of the fixes it brought, but that’s just opinion I guess.

With this last topic about GATT and that article, I decided to chime in because I happened to have a little experience behind the scenes in the subject matter. I’ve worked for a company owner with no time on his hands who needed blog posts for traffic (his SEO guy was breathing down his neck). The result was that he was forced to write some articles himself, and they weren’t badly written, but they were very short. That’s why I thought it was worth mentioning that GamerX was probably going through the same thing. I had a little insight into the matter, so I brought it up. When people came back saying “No, that’s crap, he should still post quality stuff” my response was basically “Yes, I agree with you; he should; but sadly, SEO doesn’t agree with us.” It’s hard to say I was forcing my thoughts down peoples’ throats when I agreed with the popular opinion in the first place, and continually stated that.

So I had something to say about that subject, because I had a little experience on the subject. That honestly doesn’t happen a whole lot; I’m young, and my “areas of expertise” include video games, writing (technical and fiction), and graphic arts (to a limited degree). I don’t have a wealth of knowledge and experience, because yes, I’m only 21. That said, I’m not trying to be high and mighty when I say that I can honestly say I don’t know it all.

For example, I looked at GATT a bit more and found that there are actually a number of article writers other than GamerX, and that they post A LOT. In a way, I completely retract any idea that GamerX has an excuse for copying and pasting a Skype conversation to make up the bulk of an article. He has more than enough articles being posted to the site on a daily basis that he doesn’t need to rush an article like that. Further than that, I found an article (written by another writer on the site) about “Onami” releasing Castlevania LoS 2. That’s really sad; a typo that bad in the TITLE of an article, and on the front page? I can safely say I will not be going to that site for reviews or gaming news (even though I would probably still grab one of their bundles if it was cheap enough and I liked the games in it).

From the get go, I wasn’t trying to say I was right. I didn’t even have a solid opinion on the matter, I just was talking along the lines of bringing up another side of the coin that may or may not be the case. People like Asheskitty read my posts and understood that (even though you might say that I “argued” with him), and the people I was “arguing” with, I didn’t really feel like we were arguing at all. Mostly because I agreed with what they were saying, I was just talking about how SEO can be pretty ridiculous.

In case it’s not clear to you, nothing I’ve said in this post is me “arguing” with you. I am not right or wrong here; I’m only explaining myself to you in a level, detailed fashion, because this is the most mature comment you’ve ever offered to me, and because you’re saying some things about me as a person. Obviously you see my posts as “wanting to argue or be right”, and now I understand that. So here I am explaining that that is not my intention, and that you are reading my posts the wrong way. I’m sure it’s best for both of us if you simply don’t read my posts (i.e. Ignore) so that won’t continue to be an issue, but regardless, since you took the time to maturely explain yourself, I felt you deserved an explanation from me (not an argument, because there’s nothing here to be “wrong” about; you’re not “wrong”). I don’t know if you’ll see this or not, but oh well.

It’s funny how you see my posts though, and think that I view myself and my opinion so highly. Have you read my name? Have you looked at my avatar? Not many people call themselves an “idiot”. The avatar is of two people pointing guns at each others heads. The next panel of that scene had them both bleeding, dead on the ground (not exactly SFW). Yes, the name references a Radiohead song, and I kind of think all humans are idiots in their own ways, but that idea doesn’t exclude me. I use it as my name because it applies to me (too well). Why?

I have made too many wrong turns in (my very short) life, and I continue to make them on a daily basis. I hate my face. I often try to fix something so fervently, that I make it worse than when I started. I hurt the people who mean the most to me without trying. I forget to clip my toenails for way too long. I’m a bleeding heart in all the wrong ways, and probably none of the right ones. I come across as an asshole sometimes, because I get tired of caring what people think. I cheated on my girlfriend once. I like to debate. I dropped my cousin’s slice of pizza on the ground once and didn’t tell him when I gave it back.

I could go on forever. I’m young. I’m human. I’m an idiot. If the name wasn’t a strong enough statement towards that fact, the avatar is supposed to reiterate it. I’m frequently wrong, and occasionally right. In fact I was just wrong about GamerX; he is indeed an idiot (too).

By all of this reasoning, you may agree that it would be better if I simply didn’t post. If I’m an idiot, who wants to hear me speak, right? Maybe a lot of people here would agree with that idea. Feel free to say so if you do; maybe a couple hundred signature will convince me to stop posting. Still, I come to this site because I’m bored, and it’s fun to talk about games, find deals, and shoot the breeze now and then. Perhaps my skin is a bit thicker when it comes to online debates, because I used to frequent forums like GameFAQs and a community site for an old online game that was pretty much nothing BUT debates. I do forget that it’s easy for people to take written comments the wrong way on forums, so comments that I quickly punch out and post are sometimes blunt, and construed as “rude”, “condescending”, etc. I clearly have to watch for that more closely.

That said, I do try to post useful things too. I manage the GOG Deals thread (although I’ve been slow on it lately), and when I do know something about a game, I try to offer good input on it (I have a fair number of reviews on Steam too). It’s a little upsetting when the “useful” posts fall by the wayside and the “bad” posts are the only ones that people pay attention to, but what can I do?

In any case, this post has gone on for way, way, way too long. If anyone actually read it, that’s cool. If not? How could I ask you too, it’s 9 pages long or something. I didn’t write this in the hopes that you (Motoki) would decide to apologize and like me. Quite frankly, I don’t really care. It would be nice to bury the hatchet, because besides the annoyance received from your occasional insults to me, I really don’t have anything against you. That, and it’s the internet. I find it silly to get mad/offended/annoyed by people on a public forum talking about video games, but that’s just me.

Mea culpa.
[/QUOTE]

Didn't read it. Just wanted to quote it.

Edit:
Wow, it worked, could quote the entire thing. Spoilered it to avoid clutter.

FWIW, I think both you guys time would be better spent playing games than writing books.

Also, your response was better written than anything on that GATT site.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Didn't read it. Just wanted to quote it.[/QUOTE]
I shit you not, I guessed your response in my head while I scrolled down the quote. :whistle2:k

[quote name='Idiotekque']I wasn't sure myself until I posted it. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

You should really wrap that in a spoiler tag. That way everyone can still see it, but those who don't care can scroll past a much smaller post.

Just a suggestion. ;)

[quote name='Jokerkun890']You should really wrap that in a spoiler tag. That way everyone can still see it, but those who don't care can scroll past a much smaller post.

Just a suggestion. ;)[/QUOTE]
Very good idea... Not sure why I didn't think of that. One sec.

EDIT: Done! Sorry about that.

[quote name='jimbodan']Any word on whether or not it comes with keys (I'd imagine most of these are on Desura?) or if you'd get one if one of the games does end up making it to Steam?[/QUOTE]

Oops, thought that was in the press release info but I guess it's in the FAQ. Yes, they will give you Steam keys if the games eventually get accepted on to Steam via Greenlight.

First batch seems to be majority iOS games but it seems like a promotion they plan on continuing. A bit of a gamble since there's no guarantee of Steam keys but if they have a small enough minimum it's probably worth it (assuming you like the games offered).

From the FAQ:

Where are my steam codes?

When any of the games included with the bundle become available on the Steam store you will get a code to download the game on Steam. In the meantime you can always download the DRM free versions of the games from the Green Light Bundle website.

Gunman Clive isn't perfect but I really enjoyed it for a simple mega man ish game. Just can't restate that enough.

Thanks for mentioning the Carcassonne PC port. GameFAQs doesn't even know it exists. These sorts of board games are a huge favorite of mine, especially with a decent presentation and AI.

Speaking of AI, the AI in this one loves farms a lot more than the Iphone version's city asshole yoinking habits... or was that the XBLA version...

[quote name='Sophita']
The first game is Final Fantasy Tactics - I have sunk more time into that game than any other game I have ever played. I think for 2 years 8th and 9th grade it was the only game I played. Yet somehow I have never finished the game I always got caught up in the story and also the random battles were addicting just leveling up the perfect skills and team building.

On my best save I made it all the way up to Wiegraf only to save over both my saves when I was victorious only to realize I could never win at the rooftop battle as noone in my party was fast enough to save that one brother and sister(Also you couldn't exit the battle and return so I was stuck fighting an a unwinable battle) :bomb: I swore I would beat FFT one day and so it remains shaking in fear of my throw stone skills.

Second game is Jade Cocoon: I am not sure how many here have heard of it, if at all, however imagine a mature themed Pokemon. You play as a Boy who goes off to try and save his village from some sort of demonic curse and using a ocarina type thing you are able to capture various creatures you find and force them to fight for you. You can also fuse them together to try and make unique creatures with different skills that are inherited between generations like the Shin Megami Tensei system.

One of the most memorable aspects is the game also allows your main character to fight, so your also collecting weapons and armor and potions for yourself as well on top of creature collecting. The games story I remember also becomes really dark and twisted the deeper you go into the game. The thing that stuck with me the most as a kid was unlike pokemon the enemy humans you face actually die when you defeat them, was crazy at the time knowing my little demons attualy killed someone, compared to just robbing them :cool:

The game also has a very unique art style(and still holds up because of the art direction) to it, the controls I am sure if I went back to will be sluggish as it is a 3d ps1 game. But overall I have never seen a game like it or one that has even come close to it (Well the game did get a sequel but it was far too different and also lost the dark oppressive tone the original had as well as the monster collecting IIRC)
[/QUOTE]

Two great ones IMO, FFT was the first game I bought for the Playstation. I still play it every once and a while now. I never owned Jade Cocoon but my best friend at the time did, and I used to play it a lot. I wouldn't say its one of my top games from that era, but I did enjoy the game. And honestly I am a bit surprised to see anyone else who knows of it, cause it didn't seem very popular then or now looking back.

[quote name='Sophita']The first game is Final Fantasy Tactics - I have sunk more time into that game than any other game I have ever played. I think for 2 years 8th and 9th grade it was the only game I played. Yet somehow I have never finished the game I always got caught up in the story and also the random battles were addicting just leveling up the perfect skills and team building.

On my best save I made it all the way up to Wiegraf only to save over both my saves when I was victorious only to realize I could never win at the rooftop battle as noone in my party was fast enough to save that one brother and sister(Also you couldn't exit the battle and return so I was stuck fighting an a unwinable battle) :bomb: I swore I would beat FFT one day and so it remains shaking in fear of my throw stone skills.[/QUOTE]
Oh gosh, that's probably my first or second favorite game of all time. I have put so many hours into that game, and started so many games on it that I can't even hazard a guess. I only beat one save though, and actually did everything (finding every item in Deep Dungeon... oh god).

That rooftop mission is ridiculous though, you're right. I got stuck there and probably stopped playing the game for 6 months. The only way I got past it was investing in Flare on my wizard. All you have to do is put one enemy (Celia or Lede or the other guy) into critical status to complete the mission, IIRC. Flare is a really powerful, one-hit-kill kind of spell, so it did the trick for me.

You should give it another try!

[quote name='Sophita']Second game is Jade Cocoon: I am not sure how many here have heard of it, if at all, however imagine a mature themed Pokemon. You play as a Boy who goes off to try and save his village from some sort of demonic curse and using a ocarina type thing you are able to capture various creatures you find and force them to fight for you. You can also fuse them together to try and make unique creatures with different skills that are inherited between generations like the Shin Megami Tensei system.

The game also has a very unique art style(and still holds up because of the art direction) to it, the controls I am sure if I went back to will be sluggish as it is a 3d ps1 game. But overall I have never seen a game like it or one that has even come close to it (Well the game did get a sequel but it was far too different and also lost the dark oppressive tone the original had as well as the monster collecting IIRC)[/QUOTE]
Y'know, I had the game at one point, but I ended up selling it. It seemed interesting, but the tank style movement turned me off. The voice overs were a very nice touch though; I didn't give the game enough of a chance.

[quote name='Sophita']Resident Evil 2 blew my mind when I finished Claire's story only to realize that now I had to play as Leon for his side of the story and also finish the cliffhanger type ending.[/QUOTE]
Wasn't it Leon first, then Claire? I played the game through with Leon, then moved onto Claire and didn't get very far. So many Lickers. :cry:

[quote name='jimbodan']Same here[/QUOTE]
And here.

My spreadsheet however has so many damn categories though: name, date purchased, condition, platform, price paid, where i bought, genre, developer, publisher, date released, whether i've played it or not, date finished. Yeah, I'm kind of crazy like that. :lol:

[quote name='asheskitty']Hmm, this sorting does bring up an interesting question. How do you sort physical games? Computer games are little harder due to the large variation in package size, but console games benefit from the nice standardized size (barring CE).

My PS2 and DVD-case sized computer games are sorted on bookcase shelves. Like things get lumped together, e.g. racing, or multititle series, but the rest are a little dynamic with recently played titles at one end and untouched backlog at the other.[/QUOTE]

That is much easier, on shelves sorted by console and alphabetized.

[quote name='pROvIs']Does anyone else check the deal of the day and then quickly forget what it is because it is so underwhelming only to check it again a few minutes later thinking you went to the page and forgot to see what the deal of the day was?

That happened to me twice today.[/QUOTE]

Yes, did it today twice too. I'm glad i'm not the only one. #-o

[quote name='Syntax Error']For you puzzle gamers, Impulse as the Pendulo collection on sale for $14.99 today.

• Yesterday
  • The Next BIG Thing
  • Runaway - A Twist of Fate
  • Runaway - A Road Adventure
  • Runaway - The Dream of the Turtle
Not Steam activated.[/QUOTE]

That was the same price during the winter sale right? I hear everyone say they're good, but short. Can anyone tell me how short exactly?

[quote name='utopianmachine']Hubby and I just played an hour or so of Lord of the Rings: War in the North. We had a surprisingly good time. We spent a while just figuring things out, how to trade items, how quests worked together. Controls are great so far, the game is beautiful. It feels very much like Skyrim, just set in The Lord of the Rings universe.

Cliffhanger![/QUOTE]

I've played it for about 6 hours so far - some co-op and some SP. I kind of liked the LotR action games (I have them on Gamecube) they made a while back and was pleasantly surprised that this game was way more Action than RPG. I honestly can't figure out why it was reviewed so low!

I'm playing as the Elf Loremaster. She's a nice blend of ranged/melee/magic. In retrospect she might not have been the best choice for singleplayer because the AI players aren't overly useful.

All in all though, it's splendid fun and at $4 I'm extremely happy. Another great CAG find. :)

That rooftop mission is ridiculous though, you're right. I got stuck there and probably stopped playing the game for 6 months. The only way I got past it was investing in Flare on my wizard. All you have to do is put one enemy (Celia or Lede or the other guy) into critical status to complete the mission, IIRC. Flare is a really powerful, one-hit-kill kind of spell, so it did the trick for me.

You should give it another try![/QUOTE]

Yup. That's pretty much what I did.

I never actually beat the game. I was woefully outmatched in a late battle that I couldn't exit out of, and I had no save that I could take a step back to. Still, I played a crapton of it.

Wasn't it Leon first, then Claire? I played the game through with Leon, then moved onto Claire and didn't get very far. So many Lickers. :cry:[/QUOTE]

You could start with either disc, thus flipping the story around. Technology!!

Note: This is really, really long. Just skip it if you aren't interested (it's just a long, peaceful response to Motoki, if he happens to see it). If you do happen to read it, the purpose of the post will be lost by just reading a part of it out of context. Then again, I doubt anyone will read this, so no worries.

Responses are in the spoiler buttons.

If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
(I have to tell myself that too.)

By all of this reasoning, you may agree that it would be better if I simply didn’t post. If I’m an idiot, who wants to hear me speak, right? Maybe a lot of people here would agree with that idea. Feel free to say so if you do; maybe a couple hundred signatures will convince me to stop posting. Still, I come to this site because I’m bored, and it’s fun to talk about games, find deals, and shoot the breeze now and then. Perhaps my skin is a bit thicker when it comes to online debates, because I used to frequent forums like GameFAQs and a community site for an old online game that was pretty much nothing BUT debates. I do forget that it’s easy for people to take written comments the wrong way on forums, so comments that I quickly punch out and post are sometimes blunt, and construed as “rude”, “condescending”, etc. I clearly have to watch for that more closely.

Mea culpa
[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN4aPQZREHc&feature=plcp

Didn't realize War In The North was co-op, that sounds fun. Thanks UtopianMachine!

My GF and I have been playing a bunch of co-op Orcs Must Die 2. Tons of fun, but after playing it solo, then going back and doing it co-op, I realize it's really meant to be played multiplayer. They had to design the maps a certain way to be conducive to 2 players, and in doing so, it makes the single-player game much more difficult. Solo is still totally doable, just more challenging than the first. For now, my recommendation is OMD1 if you're planning on solo and haven't played the series yet, OMD2 if you know you'll play co-op or are dying for more OMD.

All that aside, super-stoked to have pre-ordered the OMD2 two-pack. Highly recommend it (for multi especially) when it goes on sale. Chasing skulls is awesome in this one, adds tons of replayability.

OT: hoping that Motoki and Idiotekque drop it now, this is a good place to leave your conversation. At risk of sounding rude, most of us don't care about your feelings or whatever it is that you're writing pages to each other about.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Yup. That's pretty much what I did.

I never actually beat the game. I was woefully outmatched in a late battle that I couldn't exit out of, and I had no save that I could take a step back to. Still, I played a crapton of it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, FFT was certainly not a forgiving game. It was probably the game that created my habit of having like... three rotating save files for each playthrough of any game. Some of the late boss battles had you save before them, were ridiculously difficult, and gave you no chance to leave the battle. I'm still not sure how I got through some of them; that game was satisfying to finish though (really impressive final battle, in my opinion).

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']You could start with either disc, thus flipping the story around. Technology!![/QUOTE]
What! I would have much rather stared at pixel Claire all night on my first playthrough... Damn.

@ gordojones88

Is it absolutely necessary to open quote a 2 page post. For fuck sake. Seriously? Please edit that with a spoiler tag, even the original post had that. We go through enough versions of this thread without starting this kind of dis-respectful crap. And to the parties having their bitch session out in the open, noone cares, take it to Private Messaging. I don't care if there is even a Steam related issue at the heart of it, this is completely unnecessary, and a waste of the thread. And that's BEFORE people start quoting it just to embed a youtube video that offers even less to this thread. Get it together or I'll send it to CheapyD showing why he needs mods on certain threads, and show him exactly WHY he has to keep making new versions of this thread.

I don't know why, but I just wanna punch you in the face (directed at gordo). :drool:

Nah, not really, but did you really find it necessary to do that? Are you just a douchebag, or did you just want to be annoying/funny?

I hate you, gordo. ;)

and finally caught up

concerning categories, if you want one on top you can add a space in front of the name, for instance I have " playing" on top.

some ps1 favourites, einhander ,valkyrie profile ,suikoden 2 ,front mission 3, final fantasy tactics(played through it a ton over the years,completed at least 10 straight chracters challenges at this point will probably pick it up again at some point or finally get around to giving 1.3 a try.)

[quote name='pantsattack']I wish he was saying "Gundam Style."[/QUOTE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMTfWsb-jQk
full version got pulled, sorry for being slow. re-uploads I'm not sure I trust the websites of

@ Motoki & @ Idiotekque Why don't you two just get a hotel room and get it over with? Just keep it out of the thread, it's gotten beyond stupid. Please for all that is good and holy, just shut up, the both of you, or take to to PM....or between the sheets.

If makeup sex is the best kind of sex, you two should have a damn good time.

[quote name='gordojones88']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN4aPQZREHc&feature=plcp[/QUOTE]

Since the text is in a larger font I'm going to say that was a joke. It was good, since he posted so much and you laughed at him for a few seconds. And at the same time, that joke sucked because I had to scroll through a ton of shit I don't care reading on a broken trackpad. Ha ha...douche.

EDIT: Never mind, I started playing the video after posting this. You seriously posted a dubstep laugh mix instead of a brief, five second laugh? That's not funny at all. God, I hate you even more...

[quote name='walkonshadows']@ gordojones88

Is it absolutely necessary to open quote a 2 page post. For fuck sake. Seriously? Please edit that with a spoiler tag, even the original post had that. We go through enough versions of this thread without starting this kind of dis-respectful crap. And to the parties having their bitch session out in the open, noone cares, take it to Private Messaging. I don't care if there is even a Steam related issue at the heart of it, this is completely unnecessary, and a waste of the thread. And that's BEFORE people start quoting it just to embed a youtube video that offers even less to this thread. Get it together or I'll send it to CheapyD showing why he needs mods on certain threads, and show him exactly WHY he has to keep making new versions of this thread.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry for giving people a reason to spam. >_>

The purpose of that long post was to end the hostilities. I don't know.

[quote name='walkonshadows']@ Motoki & @ Idiotekque Why don't you two just get a hotel room and get it over with? Just keep it out of the thread, it's gotten beyond stupid. Please for all that is good and holy, just shut up, the both of you, or take to to PM....or between the sheets.

If makeup sex is the best kind of sex, you two should have a damn good time.[/QUOTE]
I'm not into dogs. :cry:

Time to play that wonderful game where I go to bed and refresh in the morning to see how many pages shorter the thread has become. Good night, CAGs.

[quote name='DPsycho']Time to play that wonderful game where I go to bed and refresh in the morning to see how many pages shorter the thread has become. Good night, CAGs.[/QUOTE]

It's 9.05am and I'm checking the forums to avoid doing work.

CAG Steam Thread: EU edition, available now! (includes Steam exclusive "cup of tea" item for TF2)

[quote name='gamegirl79']What kind of irritating quirks? I'm on the fence about picking this one up.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I missed your question earlier, the review on Destructroid mentioned some irritating edge of track issues (which aren't uncommon complaints in racers).

[quote name='KaOTiK']I'm guessing one is Xenogears[/QUOTE]
Oh that's related to Xenosaga (PS2 backlog)

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I don't even want to know how bad I would suck at Ikari Warriors today :lol:[/QUOTE]
I'm really not sure today either. On my MAME-driven retro-kick a decade back, I didn't wind up playing it. 1942 and sequels, check. Ghosts n Goblins, check, Golden Axe, check. And others...

[quote name='Palinn']I have not activated Victoria II. The reviews on GamersGate seem to indicate that this game takes some time to learn and I'm not sure I have the patience. Can anyone compare this to Civ 5 ease of play/learning curve?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I haven't played Victoria II, but have been told it is more like Crusader Kings or Hearts of Iron than Civ.[/QUOTE]

I have not played Victoria II yet, but I have read plenty of Paradox threads. Victoria II is more often uttered in the same breath as HoI3, some of the deeper but steeper learning curve Paradox games. CK2 is widely heralded as the easiest Paradox gamer to get into (I have it and I agree based on my CK2 & EUIII experience). Paradox Grand Strategy Games tend to be regarded as steep learning curve. Civ V (backlog) tends to be regarded as a watered down Civ, but easier to get into. (Please forgive me if that sounded insulting in any way; I did not intend it to sound so.)

[quote name='Syntax Error']Axis & Allies isn't Axis & Allies without a thousand little pieces to lose under the couch.[/QUOTE]

Sssh. Don't give them ideas. I can just see my e-board games "losing" pieces over time with available replacement parts DLC.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Infinite peace treaties do not exist in Risk.[/QUOTE]

Sure they do... until it's time to fight for a new peace!

[quote name='utopianmachine']Hubby and I just played an hour or so of Lord of the Rings: War in the North
. We had a surprisingly good time. We spent a while just figuring things out, how to trade items, how quests worked together. Controls are great so far, the game is beautiful. It feels very much like Skyrim, just set in The Lord of the Rings universe.

Cliffhanger!
[/QUOTE]

Ooh thanks. I'm glad I bought it then. Interesting that you also made the Skyrim comparison.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yeah, FFT was certainly not a forgiving game. It was probably the game that created my habit of having like... three rotating save files for each playthrough of any game
. Some of the late boss battles had you save before them, were ridiculously difficult, and gave you no chance to leave the battle. I'm still not sure how I got through some of them; that game was satisfying to finish though (really impressive final battle, in my opinion).

What! I would have much rather stared at pixel Claire all night on my first playthrough... Damn.
[/QUOTE]

I have a long (and esoteric) history of save file abuse. Might it help to yank your memory card to prevent an undesired save in this case?

[quote name='evantrees']
and finally caught up

concerning categories, if you want one on top you can add a space in front of the name, for instance I have " playing" on top.

some ps1 favourites, einhander ,valkyrie profile ,suikoden 2 ,front mission 3, final fantasy tactics(played through it a ton over the years,completed at least 10 straight chracters challenges at this point will probably pick it up again at some point or finally get around to giving 1.3 a try.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMTfWsb-jQk
full version got pulled, sorry for being slow. re-uploads I'm not sure I trust the websites of
[/QUOTE]

Great, now the elevator scene is even *more* disturbing.

hello everyone, i dont know if this is the right place to post this, if not just ignore it. I just saw that I have a 75% off coupon for Portal 2 and I already have the game so pm me if you want the coupon.

[quote name='atreyuevr']Really glad you're enjoying yourself. The game is an absolute blast for me so far, I'm loving every minute of it. You have many more treasures waiting for your hopefully keen eyes. It's pretty hard to find the hidden caches sometimes, and they'll inevitably slip past you a couple of times, but although it's a little frustrating, it doesn't make the game any less fun. ;)

What character did you decide to go with?[/QUOTE]

What's really cool in co-op is that every time we open a treasure chest, we each get totally different loot! He doesn't see my loot, and I don't see his. We've been trading items back and forth so far. If Eradan is lucky, we'll throw him a bone at some point. ;)

Also, I'm an elf. I enjoy playing as a female when I'm given the chance. At first I was a little disappointed that you couldn't customize your character, but it turns out you can totally change little things about them at the place where you start your game! My elf looked really depressed, so I picked a different face for her.

[quote name='elessar123']They all have abilities to find hidden things. The mage sees runes, and and the ranger sees tracks.[/QUOTE]

Now that's awesome. Looking forward to checking that out.

[quote name='asheskitty']The One True Editor[/QUOTE]
Actually, you are wrong; the one true editor is vi!!!!

But seriously, I HATE THEM BOTH!!!! AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA :cool:

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I print out a copy of the box art for every game I own on a black and white sheet of paper and then I write on the back in sloppy cursive where I got the game, how much it cost, and my score for it in fox tails. I then file the 100s of sheets of paper by the dewey decimal system with each sheet getting it's own file folder. I then scan each sheet and file folder back into the computer and then keep them in a file cabinet near my desk.[/QUOTE]
Interesting, I've be considering taking the next step and getting a physical filing system going but I just don't have the time. Could you recommend the best course of action to get to this level of such sophistication of organizing? Would it be best to go the route of a hermit and focus solely on my collection's organization, no longer associated with the outside world...or just take a whole bunch of speed and go crazy nuts with everything? I have procured the proper materials and cabinets for this mission; I will await your instruction of how to best handle it.

;)

[quote name='asheskitty']Hmm, this sorting does bring up an interesting question. How do you sort physical games? Computer games are little harder due to the large variation in package size, but console games benefit from the nice standardized size (barring CE).

My PS2 and DVD-case sized computer games are sorted on bookcase shelves. Like things get lumped together, e.g. racing, or multititle series, but the rest are a little dynamic with recently played titles at one end and untouched backlog at the other.[/QUOTE]
Well it used to be EVERYTHING would go on bookshelves, and when I ran out of space I would buy more bookshelves. But now I just have no mid-level wall space left and so I've forced myself to box up all non-current gen games. Everything is organized by system and alphabetically...DON'T get my started on multi-title series games, fuck does that cause me mental distress to figure out their grouping :lol:

[quote name='plft']Thrown on the shelf with no sorting or standards. Multiple rows in front of each other, jewel cases mixed with large boxes, games sitting on top of the rest. It's chaos.[/QUOTE]
It's terrifying to know that you are most probably serious... Some of my friends are like that and they fucking hate me; everytime I come to visit I fucking organizing EVERYTHING for them. They love once they can finally find everything again but HATE that I always do it.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']
It's terrifying to know that you are most probably serious... Some of my friends are like that and they fucking hate me; everytime I come to visit I fucking organizing EVERYTHING for them. They love once they can finally find everything again but HATE that I always do it.[/QUOTE]
I'm serious solely due to not having enough room on my shelf for my CDs, HDDVDs/BDs, and games. Since I have most of the games a second time on steam that's taken a backseat and has less room.

[quote name='utopianmachine']What's really cool in co-op is that every time we open a treasure chest, we each get totally different loot! He doesn't see my loot, and I don't see his.

(...)

At first I was a little disappointed that you couldn't customize your character, but it turns out you can totally change little things about them at the place where you start your game![/QUOTE]

I hope Borderlands 2 takes a cue from the LotR:WitN "loot for everyone" system. It's one of my major complaints about B'lands.

You can customize your character anywhere there's a mirror. I've already come across one in Bree and at the Ranger camp in Sarn Ford. Just in case you get bored. ;)

[quote name='KaOTiK']War of the Roses is up for preorder 20% discount if you own a Mount & Blade game $23.99 20% off 4 pack $71.99 20% off

Dunno what to think of this game, in concept and looking at it, it is like yes please I will buy it, but playing the beta, I'm not so sure :/[/QUOTE]

I felt the exact same way. The trailers and previous press got me pretty interested in the game, but once I got to play the beta I walked away just feeling meh about the whole thing. I'm not sure if I'm just dumb or if it isn't there, but I didn't see any tutorial or instructions. Jumping into the game and trying to figure out what I'm doing while being stabbed from 3+ directions wasn't all that fun.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Axis & Allies isn't Axis & Allies without a thousand little pieces to lose under the couch.[/QUOTE]

I remember making my nephew cry with heavy bombers. Ah, good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back