The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Walking Dead is easily a GOTY contender for me right now. I got through most of episode 2 last night and wow. Telltale does a hell of a job with the character development that even the small choices turn out to be big hard ones that you need to make in a split second.

Next to Sam and Max, this is hands down Telltale's best work.

[quote name='Eldredpe']
Analogue: A Hate Story - This game is incredible. I'm not going to do this in one sentence because I find that offensive to this game. I came into it expecting something kind of skeezy, being a visual novel in the anime style. It's not only not a gross game, it's an extremely powerful piece of art railing against violence against women. It isn't a long game, and the endings are a little dumb, but its main goal is a sharp critique against classical Korean feudalism and its impact on women, and I think it's totally worth experiencing. I really can't recommend this enough, and rest assured, if you were like me and thought it was going to be an embarrassing mess, it's a mature (not mature as in sexual, mature as in well-written with serious themes) piece of art that is worth experiencing.[/QUOTE]

I also enjoyed Analogue much more than I expected. There were some elements where I just rolled my eyes, but overall I am happy with the hours I spent on this game (more than I can say for a lot of other games).

Honestly, I may have misjudged the visual novel genre. I know this is a bit off-topic since I'm posting in a PC thread, but I just finished 999 and Virtue's Last Reward for the DS and 3DS respectively this past week... oh my gosh, I completely loved these games. As a matter of fact, even though I play the majority of games on PC, I'd have to say these 2 are in my top 3 this year along with Walking Dead. I can't recall the last time games have gripped my attention so much, both while I'm playing and when I'm away. If you have a DS or 3DS, please give these games a chance! (along with Ghost Trick!)

Is Darksiders 2 significantly improved over DS 1? I played maybe 5 hours of the first one and ended up getting bored with it. It just felt too repetitive and easy but then the boss fights were a huge step in difficulty.

[quote name='Eldredpe']MacGuffin's Curse - Clever (as in funny writing), cool block pushing game that's extremely easy to "s rank" if you care about Steam achievements.[/QUOTE]

I'm playing this now and I love it - a great little game. Not sure if this is was you meant,
but although the earlier rooms are easy, some of the later ones (esp. in the mansion)
are quite tough to figure out (there's one $*&!ing room that took me almost two days to
figure out with almost 40 moves that have to happen in the right sequence).

[quote name='Eldredpe']Wizorb - As interesting as breakout gets - Hard, but you can brute force your way through it due to the inventory/lives elements.[/QUOTE]

Really liked this one as well (I think I own it three times by now) but it was way too short.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Nikopol:secrets of the Immortals - Really pretty with a really cool fiction, though the actual puzzle elements are subpar.[/QUOTE]

Agree, great to look at and the backstory is good, but the actual adventuring was just
frustrating - near the end, I was just wishing for it to be over.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Breath of Death VII - It's what you think it is but it has probably check this out if you like old school RPGs and it isn't as tedious as you would think.
[/QUOTE]

I played its younger brother, Cthulhu Saves the World, and although the one-liners and
self-referential comments were pretty funny, I finally got bored with the endless JRPG
battles (and it gets tough later on).

Analogue: A Hate Story has been on my "shortlog" for a while, but I think it just moved
to the front of the queue - thanks for putting these one-liner reviews out there!

[quote name='momouchi']Is Darksiders 2 significantly improved over DS 1? I played maybe 5 hours of the first one and ended up getting bored with it. It just felt too repetitive and easy but then the boss fights were a huge step in difficulty.[/QUOTE]

DS2 is very much so a significant improvement over the first. More of everything in the first one in a much larger and open world. Death's combat is a total 180 from War's. Where War was very heavy hitting and not so agile, Death is very very quick and agile.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Walking Dead is easily a GOTY contender for me right now. I got through most of episode 2 last night and wow. Telltale does a hell of a job with the character development that even the small choices turn out to be big hard ones that you need to make in a split second.

Next to Sam and Max, this is hands down Telltale's best work.[/QUOTE]

If you think Walking Dead is a GOTY contender after only playing the first two episodes, just wait until you play the next two. Such phenomenal work by Telltale.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Daily Deal - Nightsky - $2.49

They added another midweek madness:

Star Trek Online - $9.99 for Starter Pack (Regular $24.99)[/QUOTE]

Nightsky looks ok, but also looks like a potential bundle game.

[quote name='Tsel']If you think Walking Dead is a GOTY contender after only playing the first two episodes, just wait until you play the next two. Such phenomenal work by Telltale.[/QUOTE]

The third episode for me was the best. I had to take a break from the game after that one!

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']The third episode for me was the best. I had to take a break from the game after that one![/QUOTE]

As far as the sheer intensity of the experience goes, I'd agree that 3 has been the most dramatic, although the bombshell at the end of 4 means that 5 has some big narrative threads to tie up.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Fair enough, I might have taken it in too fast after FEAR2, which I think is superior, and I think FPS games are hard to take in quick succession.

I know you agree with me on Analogue, though. I almost added that it had your seal of approval on the end of my quick review.[/QUOTE]

FEAR3 is by a different studio. It's short as hell and the ending is a bit of a wash and the story is even worse than normal FEAR. Still, I thought the shooting was back to FEAR1 quality. That said, taking it in a FEAR marathon will definitely hurt it because it isn't as good as FEAR1 and definitely a different direction than FEARs 1 and 2 with the asymmetric coop.

I do agree on Analogue. It's harder for me to talk about now, though, having heard the author's dark hints about her fear that the scenario outlined in Analogue could happen here (Which I find insulting at best.) That said, it's a charming, enjoyable ride. I really like it and at only about 3-4 hours to get every ending it doesn't really waste your time. There are issues but I think it still works quite well. Kinda curious where the DLC will take it. Analogue doesn't seem to be the sort of story you can add to without diluting.

RE: The VN genre... The 999 games and the English stuff is all very different from the normal fare. I can't stand most normal VNs and as much as I disliked 999's for its constant breaking up of puzzles to tell me inane stories that pay off in a way that utterly betrays all emotion and tension built up to that point, it spins a damn fine thriller yarn.

Still, don't be quick to trust the genre just yet.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']The third episode for me was the best. I had to take a break from the game after that one![/QUOTE]

Agreed. Episode 4 was great too. Real cliffhanger of an ending. I absolutely love The Walking Dead so far. They are really going to have to mess up Episode 5 for it to not be on every major site's game of the year list. I have faith in Telltale to wrap everything up in the final episode.

[quote name='seamoss']I'm playing this now and I love it - a great little game. Not sure if this is was you meant,
but although the earlier rooms are easy, some of the later ones (esp. in the mansion)
are quite tough to figure out (there's one $*&!ing room that took me almost two days to
figure out with almost 40 moves that have to happen in the right sequence).
[/QUOTE]

If it's the room I think you're talking about, apparently it was made by the designer's brother and had a reputation with the playtesters for being obnoxiously difficult. It took me several hours as well. WAY too easy to screw yourself over 30 moves in and get trapped.

[quote name='Eldredpe']If it's the room I think you're talking about, apparently it was made by the designer's brother and had a reputation with the playtesters for being obnoxiously difficult. It took me several hours as well. WAY too easy to screw yourself over 30 moves in and get trapped.[/QUOTE]

This sounds awesome. I wish I had macguffins curse. Why did I pass on this?

[quote name='dbolt']Hero Academy is 50% off. $2.49 for one copy, $3.99 for a 2-Pack. Deal ends November 19th.[/QUOTE]

My rule of thumb is don't buy unless the price is 66% or lower but those TF2 hats are calling me. #sucker

[quote name='Preedatore']This sounds awesome. I wish I had macguffins curse. Why did I pass on this?[/QUOTE]

Other than that one room it's an extremely good game. That's pretty much the only room that is set up in a way where it's easy to inadvertently make the puzzle unsolvable partway through (though there is a quick puzzle reset button).

[quote name='Eldredpe']
Analogue: A Hate Story - This game is incredible. I'm not going to do this in one sentence because I find that offensive to this game. I came into it expecting something kind of skeezy, being a visual novel in the anime style. It's not only not a gross game, it's an extremely powerful piece of art railing against violence against women. It isn't a long game, and the endings are a little dumb, but its main goal is a sharp critique against classical Korean feudalism and its impact on women, and I think it's totally worth experiencing. I really can't recommend this enough, and rest assured, if you were like me and thought it was going to be an embarrassing mess, it's a mature (not mature as in sexual, mature as in well-written with serious themes) piece of art that is worth experiencing.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was decent, but I wish more higher quality visual novels were on Steam. Why can't we get amazing VNs like 999 and Virtue's Last Reward on PC/Steam? Even then, there's quite a few extremely good ones on PC that have gone out of print or have no chance of coming to Steam (such as one of my favorites, Ever 17..).

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I'm going to assume, without looking, that I wouldn't want anything else in those Nightsky bundles and therefore justify my $2.50 purchase today.[/QUOTE]

Don't sweat it - it's a great puzzle game that's definitely worth $2.50. I love the ambient
soundtrack too. Play it first in normal mode to enjoy the game and learn how to control
the marble, and then play the (much) harder alternative difficulty mode. I was obsessed
with this game for a while, at least until I finished both modes.

[quote name='Eldredpe']MacGuffin's Curse - Clever (as in funny writing), cool block pushing game that's extremely easy to "s rank" if you care about Steam achievements.[/QUOTE]

Game's been on my short list for a while. Makes me regret that I was unemployed when the bundle came out with it.

Nikopol:secrets of the Immortals - Really pretty with a really cool fiction, though the actual puzzle elements are subpar.
I couldn't complain too much, considering it was basically a throw-in with another bundle. The problem is that there wasn't enough actual game there. I think there were 4-5 locations in the whole game.

Speaking of adventure games, being in the middle of Runaway right now, I think I understand why people dislike Pendulo's games. Some of the things you need to do don't make much sense.

Analogue: A Hate Story - This game is incredible. I'm not going to do this in one sentence because I find that offensive to this game. I came into it expecting something kind of skeezy, being a visual novel in the anime style. It's not only not a gross game, it's an extremely powerful piece of art railing against violence against women. It isn't a long game, and the endings are a little dumb, but its main goal is a sharp critique against classical Korean feudalism and its impact on women, and I think it's totally worth experiencing. I really can't recommend this enough, and rest assured, if you were like me and thought it was going to be an embarrassing mess, it's a mature (not mature as in sexual, mature as in well-written with serious themes) piece of art that is worth experiencing.
I haven't been able to get back to it, because some of it gets under your skin because you kinda know where things are going. It certainly shows the difficulties of being thrown into the middle of a completely foreign social structure and not really having any escape from it.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Fair enough, I might have taken it in too fast after FEAR2, which I think is superior, and I think FPS games are hard to take in quick succession.

I know you agree with me on Analogue, though. I almost added that it had your seal of approval on the end of my quick review.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I think FEAR series has gone further downhill with each iteration.

FEAR 1 (base game) was awesome and a trend-setter FPS w/ amazing graphics, great story, and awesome horror elements.
FEAR: Extraction Point was good, but nowhere as good as FEAR 1 (base game).
FEAR: Perseus Mandate was decent - though, nothing special at all.

FEAR 2 was good, but it began borrowing also A LOT of elements of other shooter cllches (Tram ride like HL2; Mech-combat missions like in Riddick: Butcher Bay; rail shooter sequence; etc etc); the game felt consolized a bit (checkpoints were introduced into the series for the 1st time here); re-hashed a lot of horror elements and tricks, so that often did feel predictable; AND the game (for a while) was missing the Slo-Mo MP that was awesome in FEAR 1's MP (later implemented in a patch).
Didn't play Reborn DLC - can't speak on it.

FEAR 3 was decent, but it's just not as a good as FEAR 2 even. Also, FEAR 3 introduced another new common shooter element - cover system. The gameplay also felt a bit more like other shooters (i.e. like COD) and less of like the earlier 2 FEAR games.

[quote name='MC Kage']This in 1080p :applause:

[YOUTUBE]sCMK-JVdqKY[/YOUTUBE][/QUOTE]
Thanks, I'll rewatch later. 1080p but console only though? Come on Rockstar don't let daddy down! PC needed. I want to play as Michael (Madsen?).

[quote name='MC Kage']This in 1080p :applause:

[YOUTUBE]sCMK-JVdqKY[/YOUTUBE][/QUOTE]

Still hope GTA5 gets a PC port.
Probably inevitable (like every other GTA since GTA3 later got a PC port) - hopefully, it'll be in the cards from Rockstar, some-time down the line.

Still want my Red Dead Redemp PC port though, dammit.

I had to introduce a poor gamer to Steam today. I hope things go well for him.

I was at best buy doing trade ins to get some Steam and Amazon cards and this guy, looked to be probably in his 40s, came up to the gamer counter holding a copy of Civ 5 and was asking the kid behind the counter if it would work with Windows 8. The employees there are pretty clueless when it comes to PC games, so I stepped in. Apparently the guy had just upgraded to Windows 8 and his copy of Civ IV stopped working and he couldn't find a way to fix it so he decided to just upgrade to Civ 5.

I'm not sure how computer literate he was, but he was worried about Civ 5 having the latest patches. Explained to him it was steamworks and Steam would update with the latest patches, including the latest one that added some Windows 8 stuff. Was shocked he had no clue what Steam was. I asked him if he knew what Valve was or Half Life and he had no clue about that either. So I'm not sure how much of a gamer he was, but I told him it would be patched by Steam and he should be able to get it to run.

Hurt a little to see him pay $30 for a vanilla copy, but didn't want to offend the employees by telling him he could find it a lot cheaper online. Maybe once he installs steam and sees the store he will become a convert.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Hurt a little to see him pay $30 for a vanilla copy, but didn't want to offend the employees by telling him he could find it a lot cheaper online. Maybe once he installs steam and sees the store he will become a convert.[/QUOTE]

Assuming he plays anything else. Some people are one game players, and certainly you can spend a lot of hours playing Civ.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I had to introduce a poor gamer to Steam today. I hope things go well for him.

I was at best buy doing trade ins to get some Steam and Amazon cards and this guy, looked to be probably in his 40s, came up to the gamer counter holding a copy of Civ 5 and was asking the kid behind the counter if it would work with Windows 8. The employees there are pretty clueless when it comes to PC games, so I stepped in. Apparently the guy had just upgraded to Windows 8 and his copy of Civ IV stopped working and he couldn't find a way to fix it so he decided to just upgrade to Civ 5.

I'm not sure how computer literate he was, but he was worried about Civ 5 having the latest patches. Explained to him it was steamworks and Steam would update with the latest patches, including the latest one that added some Windows 8 stuff. Was shocked he had no clue what Steam was. I asked him if he knew what Valve was or Half Life and he had no clue about that either. So I'm not sure how much of a gamer he was, but I told him it would be patched by Steam and he should be able to get it to run.

Hurt a little to see him pay $30 for a vanilla copy, but didn't want to offend the employees by telling him he could find it a lot cheaper online. Maybe once he installs steam and sees the store he will become a convert.[/QUOTE]

Why did Civ 4 stop working on Win 8? That seems...odd - especially if it was working on Win 7.
If worst comes to worst, like most older games, you right-click on shortcut and change Properties.
Look at Compatibility Tab.
Check the box to Turn-Off both Desktop Composition and Visual Themes (i.e. Windows Aero);
Check box to Run as Admin;
and Run in Compatability Mode for a Win OS the game actually worked on and officially supported.

I ain't heard much about Civ 4 problems on Win 8...

[quote name='MysterD']Why did Civ 4 stop working on Win 8? That seems...odd - especially if it was working on Win 7.
If worst comes to worst, like most older games, you right-click on shortcut and change Properties.
Look at Compatibility Tab.
Check the box to Turn-Off both Desktop Composition and Visual Themes (i.e. Windows Aero);
Check box to Run as Admin;
and Run in Compatability Mode for a Win OS the game actually worked on and officially supported.

I ain't heard much about Civ 4 problems on Win 8...[/QUOTE]

I was a bit confused too since I have yet to have too many compatibility issues with 7 or 8, but the guy was pretty adamant he had "tried everything" so I didn't push the issue or go into too much detail. Initially I thought he might be pretty game savvy, but then realized he must just like the one game. Seemed like the type to just want to go pick up the game he wants, have it work with minimal effort, and then be on his way.

[quote name='dbolt']Hero Academy is 50% off. $2.49 for one copy, $3.99 for a 2-Pack. Deal ends November 19th.[/QUOTE]

Don't know if should even bother waiting for a lower price. At 2.00 for a copy in the two pack I don't think waiting would be worth it, unless I wait for the gold pack to get cheaper. Decisions, decisions.

I've just been told Star Wars: The Old Republic is ftp starting 1 est today (after their maintenance).

I bought SW:TOR when it came out, but didn't play past the first free month. As an MMO (something to play for years/thousands of hours) I really can't recommend it. However, I can highly recommend it for the story lines. Especially if you're a SW fan I have no doubt that you'll enjoy the first 20-30ish levels of most classes.

Just noticed in the GMG thread that the following Steam games are on sale.

25% off voucher GMG25-UAAHK-6AI9S
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North $3.75 (Steamworks) with above voucher code
Jet Set Radio $3.75 (Steamworks) with above voucher code

Can anyone recommend either? I've been waiting for a good price on Jet Set Radio but haven't heard much on the HD remake. Also, LotR: War in the North looks fairly decent.

[quote name='bantheradio']

Can anyone recommend either? I've been waiting for a good price on Jet Set Radio but haven't heard much on the HD remake. Also, LotR: War in the North looks fairly decent.[/QUOTE]

Yes, LotR:WitN is well worth the asking price. It's a decently fun action-RPG (emphasis on action with some leveling/equipment). If you're a LotR fan then even better.

[quote name='bantheradio']

Can anyone recommend either? I've been waiting for a good price on Jet Set Radio but haven't heard much on the HD remake. Also, LotR: War in the North looks fairly decent.[/QUOTE]
Never played Jet Set Radio, (did play Jet Set Radio Future) but everything I heard about the game was that it was really good, so I am gambling on it being true as I just bought it.

Not a deal but this slipped by me. Shank 1 (!) was updated to include right stick dodging, separate button for booze pickups, and other tweaks. They also changed some of the cutscenes to really pare the thing down. The entire final battle exchange and finale are different radically.

If you've played Mark of the Ninja you probably noticed the cutscenes in that game are almost engineered to say as much as possible in as few words as possible. They do not at all waste your time. I'll need to play Shank 1 again completely to figure out all the changes but I think they looked back on some of the excesses of that game and thought it needed a similar style. I don't know if it is a good or bad idea but I am up for an excuse to play it again.

[quote name='bantheradio']Just noticed in the GMG thread that the following Steam games are on sale.

25% off voucher GMG25-UAAHK-6AI9S
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North $3.75 (Steamworks) with above voucher code

I can recommend War in the North. It's a pretty basic hack n' slash RPG, but if you are a LOTR fan it's pretty cool to see what they did with the story. Although you don't play as any of the main characters in the LOTR, It takes place the same exact time as the movie/books. You show up to places in the story (and meet up with characters) before/after the characters in the LOTR do. Played through it once on single player, and once Co-op. For $3.75, I'd definitely say pick it up.

Playing through WitN right now with my roommate and it's surprised me so far, in a good way. Decent loot system (though comparing loot is pretty badly done), combat is mostly basic but has good feedback, and the voice acting isn't too bad - especially important when Gandalf sounds weird :] For that price I'd say it's totally worth it.

[quote name='Rsmobile']Not a deal but this slipped by me. Shank 1 (!) was updated to include right stick dodging, separate button for booze pickups, and other tweaks. They also changed some of the cutscenes to really pare the thing down. The entire final battle exchange and finale are different radically.

If you've played Mark of the Ninja you probably noticed the cutscenes in that game are almost engineered to say as much as possible in as few words as possible. They do not at all waste your time. I'll need to play Shank 1 again completely to figure out all the changes but I think they looked back on some of the excesses of that game and thought it needed a similar style. I don't know if it is a good or bad idea but I am up for an excuse to play it again.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up, will go back and play it some time based on this.

Hmm, I haven't seen a patch for this game lately so I looked under properties and it was set to "do not check for updates". I kept changing that setting and it kept reverting to "do not" so I ran verify integrity and it's converting the game to the new Steam format. I don't think I've seen that happen from verifying integrity before. Guess it's redownloading a chunk of it now.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Did anyone else get a random copy of Starvoid in their inventory?[/QUOTE]

I think it's from the beta keys that we got in the past.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Yeah, no idea why[/QUOTE]
I got it too.

I've got it from Alienware arena promo. They gave away some beta keys, which apparently turned into retail one. As it's only multiplayer game I think it's the way to gather some more playerbase.

btw. 5th episode of the Walking Dead will be released next wednesday.

So if anyone is interested in Epic Mickey 2, Amazon is selling the PC version as a preorder for $30. I have no clue what type of DRM it has but it's half off the PS3/360/Wii-U versions. I decided to take the plunge.

Epic Mickey 2

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So if anyone is interested in Epic Mickey 2, Amazon is selling the PC version as a preorder for $30. I have no clue what type of DRM it has but it's half off the PS3/360/Wii-U versions. I decided to take the plunge.

Epic Mickey 2[/QUOTE]

Probably won't be on Steam since nothing from Disney is on there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back