The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone confirm if you buy Kentucky Route Zero through their site, you receive the soundtrack? it says it on their site and it also says the steam key also has the ost... so does the steam version include the ost? I was just wanting to make sure before I bought...However I will most likely but it from their site though despite adding a fresh steam card to my account to give the devs more money. :)

Ok can confirm my own question... YES the soundtrack does come with the HIB version. :)

See now you went and hurt my feelings. I'mma hafta go vent on Youtube.

dancefatty.gif

Funniest thing I've seen in the card fiasco is the Beat Hazard dev who tied the unlocking of a new ship (that's faster, awards more xp, etc.) to having a foil badge stated he didn't realize foil cards were needed to make a foil badge.  It's like not realizing apples are needed to make apple pie.  Anyway, this introduces a whole new can of worms: DLC unlockable through cards/badges.  The dam is about to break and I see this becoming common place in a few months.

RE: Badges unlocking game content

I'm actually behind this idea, totally. Granted, the Beat Hazard dev made pitiful rewards that are way too expensive to attain, true, but the sad thing here is that this dev is basically cleaning up Valve's mess. The cards are all well and good and sell great, but you can see how quickly the prices have hit rock bottom. Why?

BECAUSE THERE'S ALMOST ZERO POINT TO CRAFTING.

And here we have a little developer of a silly little arcade shooter turning that completely upside down and giving badges a point. Giving people a reason to spend (more) money on cards, and actually giving them something for crafting the badges.

I hope if this starts happening more, that rewards are better or are tied to level 1, 2, 3, etc badge levels, instead of just "level 5 and foil", but this is an awesome development. Looking forward to seeing this happen more!

[quote name="Mooby" post="10931843" timestamp="1374637041"]
Funniest thing I've seen in the card fiasco is the Beat Hazard dev who tied the unlocking of a new ship (that's faster, awards more xp, etc.) to having a foil badge stated he didn't realize foil cards were needed to make a foil badge. It's like not realizing apples are needed to make apple pie. Anyway, this introduces a whole new can of worms: DLC unlockable through cards/badges. The dam is about to break and I see this becoming common place in a few months.[/quote]I'm both horrified by the idea and glad I didn't sell my cards. At least I've got a head start of this ends up being the case. If not, well... it's like packing some bandaids and a flashlight every time you take a bike ride. Even if you never use them, at least you were prepared. No harm done, and I don't have to battle bots over cheap cards...much.

Edit : reading Idiot's post does make sense, and does place real value on an otherwise complete failure and shallow attempt at cashing in on certain personality types. This is pretty much microtransactions for games other than F2P. If that's the case, well played Valve, well played.

The next question to this hypothetical situation is: What happens when a vast majority of people attain level 5 badges and foils? Bump the numbers up ala Diablo 2 until we have badges with +5% to successfully joining a multiplayer server or Increased chance of emoticon drop when loading a game between 5 and 7pm PDT?

Haha, well last night was a failure. Tried to idle 6 games at once while I slept 5 hours and only got 3 cards.

Also want to thank my fellow CAG that severely undercut my cards by 20 cents. I was lowest priced at .32 x2, 1 sold, then bam ~ .12, then .13, .10. etc. Lol, card value absolutely plummeted to the lower teens (instead of a gradual decrease) as others followed suit. At least now it's recovered and is in the lower twenties.
Ouch, we all need to work on our collusion skills better. :bouncy:

Trine 2 is 50% off according to the steam front page but it's showing as 85% off for me. Might wanna check that out if your interested.
Son of a bitch, bit on it as part of a 4 pack Sunday night when it was only 80% off.

damn it, after reading 40 pages, I forgot what I originally was gonna post

I had a 66% off Fallen Enchantress show up in my inventory.

If anyone wants it let me know

RE: Badges unlocking game content

I'm actually behind this idea, totally. Granted, the Beat Hazard dev made pitiful rewards that are way too expensive to attain, true, but the sad thing here is that this dev is basically cleaning up Valve's mess. The cards are all well and good and sell great, but you can see how quickly the prices have hit rock bottom. Why?

BECAUSE THERE'S ALMOST ZERO POINT TO CRAFTING.

And here we have a little developer of a silly little arcade shooter turning that completely upside down and giving badges a point. Giving people a reason to spend (more) money on cards, and actually giving them something for crafting the badges.

I hope if this starts happening more, that rewards are better or are tied to level 1, 2, 3, etc badge levels, instead of just "level 5 and foil", but this is an awesome development. Looking forward to seeing this happen more!
My only question that is directly related to your point is this: Why the Hell are people buying them anyway? Think about it, we want to sell for the money, but there's a big market for those who want to buy cards anyway. So what's up with that?

My only question that is directly related to your point is this: Why the Hell are people buying them anyway? Think about it, we want to sell for the money, but there's a big market for those who want to buy cards anyway. So what's up with that?
Even I've crafted a handful of badges just for the hell of it, and for the chance of rare emotes and backgrounds. Unfortunately this is pretty pointless, since it's cheaper just to buy the emotes and backgrounds you want off the market.

Like I said, cards are still selling great. Look at people like Zoey, Chedburn, PalmDesert, etc who are level 115+, and consider the amount of money they're spending and putting in Valve's pockets. The card scheme may be silly, but it's working.

My point, though, is that the card prices are tanking like never before. The Summer Sale was the worst of this, but even now, prices are dipping very low. If Valve created a reason to actually craft the badges, I don't think this would be the case so much. A lot of cards would still be cheap, but they'd sell better, quicker, and because they're selling quicker, prices would stay higher, and Valve would be making MORE money off card fees.

So yeah, I hope there are more "gold and dragon ships" to unlock through badges in a variety of games. It should help card prices creep back up a bit if there's a reason to craft.

The thread which links the games in which the card prices are tanking is the large volume of available cards for the game, 5 or 6 cards, mid 20s to high 30s, more than that and it's the mid to low 10s. Similar cost to buy a set of cards, it's just spread over more cards.

I just want to see it happen because I want to see how much internet fury can be invoked by locking non-critical content behind cards and badges.

My bet is on "a lot," but I've hedged it with some money on "the apocalypse."

Either way it will be entertaining.

The thread which links the games in which the card prices are tanking is the large volume of available cards for the game, 5 or 6 cards, mid 20s to high 30s, more than that and it's the mid to low 10s. Similar cost to buy a set of cards, it's just spread over more cards.
No offense, but were you around the card market during the beta and before the Summer Sale? Because that theory of yours wasn't true at all back then. It's only since the Summer Sale that prices have been this bad.

Your theory isn't really true across the board right now anyways. Cherry Tree High Comedy Club cards right now are still around 80 cents to $1.80, with FIVE drops. Popularity factors into price too, as obscure games often have pricier cards. Dark Fall: Lost Souls? I made $1.50+ on those cards, selling them for anywhere from 20 to 40 cents a card, and there were six drops for that game. I also got it cheaply in a bundle, but an old and obscure one I suppose.

It's the popular, widely available games, such as ones that were in HIBs that tank so badly. Look at SPAZ cards. Only three drops, yet the cards are going for a pittance, around 12 cents a card.

It's really almost completely popularity since the Summer Sale hit, with the most popular games having the cheapest cards. More people buy the game, more people get the cards, more people sell them.

Here's the kicker. The important part. Due to tons of people owning a popular game, how many cards of each type for those games are on the market? It's not that uncommon to see 700, 1000, or more of each card up for these popular games. Now look at a game like Cherry Tree High Comedy Club, which only has 20 or so of each card on the market, and note the high prices... even though the game is relatively cheap ($7 MSRP on Steam).

This is the point. The more there are of any given card on the market, the lower the prices go, and this is where Valve messed up. If crafting badges had more of a point, and more of a reward for doing so, more people would want to craft badges, and more cards would 1. get bought up, and 2. not be put on the market in the first place. However, supply is surpassing demand by a horrific margin, and that's why you see 1000+ of a card on the market, with maybe 15-25 or so sales of that card per hour. Because more cards just keep going up, and the amount of cards bought don't or seldom exceed the number of cards being listed, the price plummets. At some point the price will generally stabilize, but before then, you might see 2+ days of purely dropping prices. Krater cards were 20-30 cents all day the day the cards were released, but supply overtook demand, and what are they another 24 hours later? 12 cents or so.

Anyways, massively tl;dr, but I felt like picking apart the card market and explaining my take on why the system is sluggish right now. If a good reason to craft was added, though, the demand could go up, and at least equalize prices on new cards. i.e. Krater cards wouldn't be 50 cents a pop, but they would have hit the 25 cents or so that they were yesterday, and they would have stayed there, instead of 20 cards going up per hour, and 5 cards selling an hour, putting the price into a steady freefall.

No offense, but were you around the card market during the beta and before the Summer Sale? Because that theory of yours wasn't true at all back then. It's only since the Summer Sale that prices have been this bad.

Your theory isn't really true across the board right now anyways. Cherry Tree High Comedy Club cards right now are still around 80 cents to $1.80, with FIVE drops. Popularity factors into price too, as obscure games often have pricier cards. Dark Fall: Lost Souls? I made $1.50+ on those cards, selling them for anywhere from 20 to 40 cents a card, and there were six drops for that game. I also got it cheaply in a bundle, but an old and obscure one I suppose.

It's the popular, widely available games, such as ones that were in HIBs that tank so badly. Look at SPAZ cards. Only three drops, yet the cards are going for a pittance, around 12 cents a card.

It's really almost completely popularity since the Summer Sale hit, with the most popular games having the cheapest cards. More people buy the game, more people get the cards, more people sell them.

Here's the kicker. The important part. Due to tons of people owning a popular game, how many cards of each type for those games are on the market? It's not that uncommon to see 700, 1000, or more of each card up for these popular games. Now look at a game like Cherry Tree High Comedy Club, which only has 20 or so of each card on the market, and note the high prices... even though the game is relatively cheap ($7 MSRP on Steam).

This is the point. The more there are of any given card on the market, the lower the prices go, and this is where Valve messed up. If crafting badges had more of a point, and more of a reward for doing so, more people would want to craft badges, and more cards would 1. get bought up, and 2. not be put on the market in the first place. However, supply is surpassing demand by a horrific margin, and that's why you see 1000+ of a card on the market, with maybe 15-25 or so sales of that card per hour. Because more cards just keep going up, and the amount of cards bought don't or seldom exceed the number of cards being listed, the price plummets. At some point the price will generally stabilize, but before then, you might see 2+ days of purely dropping prices. Krater cards were 20-30 cents all day the day the cards were released, but supply overtook demand, and what are they another 24 hours later? 12 cents or so.

Anyways, massively tl;dr, but I felt like picking apart the card market and explaining my take on why the system is sluggish right now. If a good reason to craft was added, though, the demand could go up, and at least equalize prices on new cards. i.e. Krater cards wouldn't be 50 cents a pop, but they would have hit the 25 cents or so that they were yesterday, and they would have stayed there, instead of 20 cards going up per hour, and 5 cards selling an hour, putting the price into a steady freefall.
Very well said :applause:

I just want to see it happen because I want to see how much internet fury can be invoked by locking non-critical content behind cards and badges.

Personally I'm not concerned as I'm not really one for DLC in the first place. I just see this being the next wave of microtransactions that Valve can latch on to -- moreover, the higher the cards go for the more money the developers and Valve get from their 15% or so.

Is the Golden Ship in Beat Hazard from badge level 5 the same one that was made available via tickets in Summer Seal 2011?

College...I can't wait for him to stop peeing in his own face when I change a diaper. I'm not a very good diaper changer and he pays the price for it.
Put a paper towel over it. It's the change from warm and covered to cold and exposed that triggers the deluge.

Well this is random, but looking through my inventory and checking some sale prices I found this somewhat hilarious:

4wo9.png
I've actually seen this on several cards I've listed. Theorized the reasons, but it may just come down to the fact that people do silly things sometimes like buy an overpriced card. The only reasons I can think of sending wallet money to another account through this method is to buy a 4-pack that's already owned on the account that originally had the money or to transfer the wallet money to a secondary account set to another region.

Another possible factor is that, the more drops you have, the more likely you are to end up with doubles. If I have 3/5 cards from my drops, I'm more likely to decide to pay for the last two and just complete the badge. If I have 3/10 because I generated three Unicorns as part of my five drops, I'm going to unload, even if the cost of those seven cards is equivalent to the cost of the two cards in the other example. I figure I'm not alone in this mentality.

There are ways to obtain DLC and play them on a Steam game already, and if it came to that the pirating would only get worse. I'm not paying $30 for a foil badge to unlock a secret level with TPB a few clicks away...

You know what would be good for a few laughs if you were stupid rich? Find a game where all the cards sell for under ten cents. Then buy up every single one of a particular card. But just that one particular card. Leave the others.

So, you think you're gonna get a badge for under a buck, eh? I don't think so.

You know what would be good for a few laughs if you were stupid rich? Find a game where all the cards sell for under ten cents. Then buy up every single one of a particular card. But just that one particular card. Leave the others.

The only problem is that other people will get new drops every day and post them and undercut. It would never work well. I've actually bought up the entire stock of certain cards before, but usually others start posting their own within hours, then undercutting, then bringing prices down again.

Also, I doubt this DLC is ever going to be 1. That good and 2. Not brought over for pay eventually.

Even stuff from seasonal achievements has been sold in some version (I'm thinking KF here) so you'd be able to get it eventually if you wanted.

Mr-Burns-Saying-Excellent-150x150.gif

That's been happening with foils for a while. I love seeing 1 listing at $20 (or $80) for some digital card. I've thought about buying up the stock on some of the Ugly Baby cards, but decided against it. Foils are pretty useless still.

The only problem is that other people will get new drops every day and post them and undercut. It would never work well. I've actually bought up the entire stock of certain cards before, but usually others start posting their own within hours, then undercutting, then bringing prices down again.

Also, I doubt this DLC is ever going to be 1. That good and 2. Not brought over for pay eventually.

Even stuff from seasonal achievements has been sold in some version (I'm thinking KF here) so you'd be able to get it eventually if you wanted.

So we find a delisted game with cards, buy up all the cards, and watch the market until we have every past card in existence. And then, we laugh :lol:

Well bless your little heart for trying.

To make it really work though, you'd need to spend every waking hour next to the computer to buy up the cards as they get posted. So you'd need to be somebody with money to burn, more free time than they know what to do with, and an inclination to want to screw over your fellow man.

I only meet one of those requirements. :(

hmmm strange my background just went from dark to white for no reason, then again it was dark for no reason as well.  Anyone find the dark setting as of yet?  It makes lurking enjoyable.

Looks like a new Indiegala bundle is live

Tier 1 is pay any price and contains Miner Warfare (Android and Desura), Doom and Destiny (Desura), and Oniken (Desura)

Tier 2 is $4.00 (Current price as of this post) and has SPAZ (Steam), eXceed - Gun Bullet Children (Steam), eXceed 2nd - Vampire REX (Steam), and 2 other Steam games that unlock 2nd week.

Tier 3 is $6.60 (Current price as of this post) and includes eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package (Steam), Sacraboar (Steam), Trainz™ Simulator 12 (Steam), TS 12 - Aerotrain & Coronation Scot DLCs (Steam), Painkiller: Recurring Evil (Steam), and one other game for Steam that unlocks the 2nd week.

Probably a good bundle for people that like Shmups, otherwise it's pretty meh. I kind of want the Trainz game but don't really want to pay $6.60 for just that game alone since I either own or have no interest in the other games.

Wow, one user is selling almost 100 cards from Bit Trip Runner 1. The amount of profit he can be making has to be minimal considering what he is selling them for and what they were going for.

Wow, one user is selling almost 100 cards from Bit Trip Runner 1. The amount of profit he can be making has to be minimal considering what he is selling them for and what they were going for.
He probably bought a bunch of Humble Bundles before the minimum price for Steam keys was increased to $1, then activated them on alt accounts.

He probably is profiting.

PSA

Magical Diary cards fetch close to a dollar apiece. Looks like niche titles will still hold value, I cashed out and spent the profits on stupid Beat Hazard emotes.

Took me 23 hours, but I have finished the SP campaign w/ 78% completion on #TombRaider 2013.

Awesome game.
Glad you enjoyed it, one of my favorite games of the year. I was honestly surprised at how long it was. Hit a few sections where I figured I was at the end of the game, only to have it keep going. A pleasant surprise in the current climate of the 5-hour single-player campaign.

Today's Deal: Save 50% on Marvel Heroes Avengers Assemble Pack
Are people going to pay $42.50 for this?

How many people have paid $85 for this?

And how many people quit playing 35 seconds after they started when they found out they had to shell out more than they would for a full retail game just to play as the heroes that drew them in in the first place?

Are people going to pay $42.50 for this?

How many people have paid $85 for this?

And how many people quit playing 35 seconds after they started when they found out they had to shell out more than they would for a full retail game just to play as the heroes that drew them in in the first place?
It's a free game that you don't actually have to spend any money on.

You can buy the heroes ala carte for like $7-$15 a piece.

It's a horrible deal to buy everything in that game, but if you just want to, say, buy Iron Man and play the hell out of it, you really aren't spending that much for what is a pretty polished and full featured ARPG.

It's a free game that you don't actually have to spend any money on.

You can buy the heroes ala carte for like $7-$15 a piece.

It's a horrible deal to buy everything in that game, but if you just want to, say, buy Iron Man and play the hell out of it, you really aren't spending that much for what is a pretty polished and full featured ARPG.
Isn't there a chance for all the characters to drop during gameplay too? That's what I understood anyway...it's not a bad game but nothing I'd ever spend money on

Yea, there are hero drops. They're incredibly rare though.
Incredibly rare is a bit of an overstatement. They're rare, but I've only played a little bit and got a hero drop. Random is random though, so there are people who play a ton and never get a hero.

Partially because of this, they're changing hero drops in a future patch. As far as I understand, heroes will no longer drop, but crystals will drop fairly frequently. You'll spend a bunch of these crystals to get the exact hero you want.

I really like the game, but I played through it during beta and had access to every character in the game, so it's a little hard to go back to not having that access. I still really like the idea of hero drops though.

So it's actually a decent game? That's good to know, for when I ever actually finish Ultimate Alliance 2, PS2-style.

On a side note, when is Steam going to make it possible for someone to buy a gift pack even if they already own the game? Let's use Trine 2 as an example. I know 3 people that would like it and I want to gift it to them for gift pack prices. I already own it, so I can't, and would have to buy 3 at individual copy prices (yeah, $3, but this is CAG). Why can't the copy for me just be inventoried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back