The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Goddammit, now I actually have to go back to Dark Souls and finish it... And I only have like 10 months to do so. :cry:
Jyapaneezu natto patchu PeeShee geimu. Muzukashii desu ne?

6xk9.jpg

Yeah I just checked and apparently it will run with that monstrosity in offline mode. With Dark Souls though you do lose some stuff not playing online and it kind of sucks because it's supposed to have that multiplayer functionality.

Nuuvem kept my saints row 4 preorder, but the region free keys won't be ready "until next Friday"

I lived and learned, be careful preordering keys from foreign regions. I had been careful and done my research but still got screwed. Who would have thought Brazil's steam store selling a ROW version would not mean nuuvem would. I think that caught nuuvem by surprise too. Deep Silver, you so crazy.

Origin now offers refunds on EA games within 24 hours of first playing them

Lance Armstrong stans won't want to pay for EA published games anymore. The next couple days are gonna be hilarious unless EA lured a horde of CS zombies away from Valve.

A comparable Steam policy would only offer refunds on Valve-published games, but that would still be better than its current policy:

“ALL CHARGES INCURRED ON STEAM, AND ALL PURCHASES MADE WITH THE STEAM WALLET, ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, REGARDLESS OF THE PAYMENT METHOD, EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT.”

ok ok I get it sheesh

Nuuvem kept my saints row 4 preorder, but the region free keys won't be ready "until next Friday"

I lived and learned, be careful preordering keys from foreign regions. I had been careful and done my research but still got screwed. Who would have thought Brazil's steam store selling a ROW version would not mean nuuvem would. I think that caught nuuvem by surprise too. Deep Silver, you so crazy.
I hate to say I told you so...okay actually I don't.

Since people have not exactly been subtle about using Nuuvem to get around regional pricing it wouldn't surprise me if Deep Silver took notice and did something about it. Reddit in particular luuurves Nuuvem and posts about it all the time and I know for a fact a Deep Silver rep has been posting on Reddit.

It kind of goes back to what I tried to tell the Euro types in the past about Amazon. If you're doing shit you're technically not supposed to be doing, might not want to post a neon sign about it. (or talk about it where the store or publisher reps hang out)

Here our chatter is buried in the thread where if you don't follow it regularly you'll probably miss it, but Reddit is super brazen about that sort of thing and everything's all organized by individual deal there. Doesn't take a whole lot of effort for some publisher rep to browse reddit and go 'Oh hey, we're losing money'.

It's nice that nobody got screwed this time around, but don't expect that publishers won't take notice of regional price dodging in the future as it gets more and more high profile.
Origin now offers refunds on EA games within 24 hours of first playing them

Lance Armstrong stans won't want to pay for EA published games anymore. The next couple days are gonna be hilarious unless EA lured a horde of CS zombies away from Valve.

ok ok I get it sheesh
I saw that and maybe IT'S A TARP! but it's kind of working on me. I think these digital stores need to take some responsibility for the games they sell. I don't mean so that people can abuse it and use it as a sort of rental system, but when a game is very obviously a buggy pre-alpha, unplayable Steam-ing pile and Valve and Greenman and the rest want to get all Pontius Pilate* about it, yeah that's a problem.

* Idioms & Phraseshttp://dictionary.reference.com/idioms/wash+one

<a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://dictionary.reference.com/idioms/wash+one" href="http://dictionary.reference.com/idioms/wash+one" s+hands+of"="">Refuse to accept responsibility for; abandon or renounce. For example, I've done all I can for him, and now I'm washing my hands of him. This expression alludes to Pontius Pilate's washing his hands before having Jesus put to death, saying "I am innocent of the blood of this just person" (Matthew 27:24).

Looks like Total War games have gotten steam cards.
Man it's hard to keep up with idling all these games! Yesterday I was proud to be under 100 card drops remaining. This morning I'm at 122. Not that I'm complaining or anything...

If it's true it means we'll probably see these titles removed from Steam soon:

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

Age of Empires Online

Fable III

Iron Brigade

Toy Soldiers

Microsoft Flight

and maybe Ms. Splosion Man? Does it have GFWL? It doesn't say on the store page.

We already knew that Microsoft was going to stop selling GFWL games. I guess shutting it down was inevitable. Hopefully purchases will live on in the form of keys for other services.

"Games for Windows Live will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. Although it is available through Steam, Age of Empires Online requires features of the Games for Windows Live service. You can continue to enjoy all the features of Age of Empires Online as the service will remain 100% operational until July 1, 2014 when the server will shut down. Please visit the Age of Empires Online forums for additional details."

link
Well, this is a drag. I'm probably one of the few people out there who didn't hate and rarely had issues with GfWL. I guess I need to get off my kiester and play whatever I want of AoEO before it disappears. Microsoft Flight's the only other game on this list I have and I've never spent money on it. I probably won't spend too much time on it after this announcement either; I found the KB+M scheme didn't work too well and I have yet to invest in a stick.

I'm assuming this means that Microsoft is just abandoning PC gamers completely at this point. I suppose I saw that coming but this really seals the deal, which sucks. I'll grant that their efforts to build a meaningful gaming space and the software infrastructure to support it have been half-hearted at best, but at least we knew they were devoting 1/1000 of a percent of their resources to it. I guess it's XBOX or nothing for them now. This kind of thing almost justifies Phil Fish's crappy attitude towards PCs--if Microsoft doesn't give a rat's ass about us, why should developers of any stripe?

Didn't see this posted, but Cubemen 2 seems to be a late addition to the weeklong sale:

Cubemen 2  -66% $7.99 $2.71 (has cards)

Because the Microsoft statement specifically only referred to Microsoft published GFWL games as the ones that will (supposedly) be no longer sold. Presumably it's up to the publishers as far as what they will do with the non Microsoft GFWL games. The statement did indicate their GFWL servers would still remain up, at least for a time another year. I don't know what will happen when they just completely shut them down. I guess the publishers would be obligated to patch.

With some of them like From Software, well good luck with that. Bethesda I think is pretty safe though and Fallout is a big IP. Even the old Fallout games are still being sold so I don't see them ever not finding a way to continue to let players play Fallout 3.

Of course there may be some other funky cases. I don't even think you can buy the Bioshock 2 DLC Minerva's Den anywhere else but the GFWL marketplace so I don't know if that's just going to go POOF forever or what.
I thought everything that used GFWL were going to not be sold. Guess I was wrong. Stuff like Lost Planet 2 and RE5's game design is hugely built around having multi/co-op and without that, they'd just be sad.

Minerva's Den has steam achievements that people have dug up in the background files or whatever they do. Rumor is it'll, be available as a pack with Bio 2 or standalone!

EDIT: Oh, and @ MIND LINK, I don't have a problem playing games solo, but I can only do that IF THEY LET ME! If publishers or devs or whoever doesn't patch it out the things won't even launch.

EDIT 2: I just realized all you folks that bought Flatout UC because it had the online that *worked* well...

EDIT 2: I just realized all you folks that bought Flatout UC because it had the online that *worked* well...
Actually you're reminding me that I need to go through my physical games and see which ones are GWfL too. I know I have a disc copy of this and Section 8 on the shelf.

Because the Microsoft statement specifically only referred to Microsoft published GFWL games as the ones that will (supposedly) be no longer sold. Presumably it's up to the publishers as far as what they will do with the non Microsoft GFWL games. The statement did indicate their GFWL servers would still remain up, at least for a time another year. I don't know what will happen when they just completely shut them down. I guess the publishers would be obligated to patch.
The post announcing the shutdown of the GFWL servers next July has disappeared. That doesn't mean it's not happening, but it may mean that it isn't as simple as that. Perhaps multiplayer and hosting will be down, while activation will continue.

The post announcing the shutdown of the GFWL servers next July has disappeared. That doesn't mean it's not happening, but it may mean that it isn't as simple as that. Perhaps multiplayer and hosting will be down, while activation will continue.
I went looking and couldn't find it either.

That post was on the AOE Online site, then it cause quite a stir around the net and apparently Microsoft yanked it, but there are screenshots of it around that people took. There's probably something to it but probably also more going on behind the scenes and/or they underestimated the backlash. We'll see.

I'm kind of worried I'll be screwed on Minerva's Den because I bought it from the GFWL store and there's no key so I don't know how I'll be able to convert that over to Steam even if they do add it.

That post was on the AOE Online site, then it cause quite a stir around the net and apparently Microsoft yanked it, but there are screenshots of it around that people took. There's probably something to it but probably also more going on behind the scenes and/or they underestimated the backlash. We'll see.

I'm kind of worried I'll be screwed on Minerva's Den because I bought it from the GFWL store and there's no key so I don't know how I'll be able to convert that over to Steam even if they do add it.
I bet they expected an amount of feedback from AOE players, but were unprepared for feedback is from people like me, who want answers regarding all the other GFWL games. Then devs were inundated (just a guess) with requests for info and they couldn't answer or weren't prepared to announce changes at the moment. Thus the pull.

The (previous) announcement said you could continue to download all your previous titles, so I'd be slack jawed if they gave out steam keys.

Oh man... Steam is going crazy with sales now. They really need to organize and show them better. It's driving me nuts.

All the Total War games are on sale. There's the week long deals that have trickled out over the week, midweek, dailies, one-off sales.

How's nba2k13? Last basketball games I played were from the 90s. Boston vs celtics, Jordan in flight, nba jam and such. I'm not a big basketball fan (I prefer soccer) but I loved those games back then

Also, I don't have any sport game (not even fifa)

Would like to take a brief ridiculously long moment to dissuade anyone from purchasing NBA 2K13.

I have been a ravenous fan of 2K's NBA franchise since the Dreamcast/Visual Concepts days, and have purchased every iteration since it began.  A couple years ago, I stopped buying the console versions and tried out the PC release of NBA 2K11.  It was stunning.  Easily moddable, incredible graphics, and rock solid gameplay.  The absolute pinnacle of single player sports gaming.  Unfortunately, the online multiplayer was lacking...matchmaking was broken, and worse, to combat latency, your graphics settings would all be reset to Low.  PC users waited around wondering when the bugs (and there were many of them) would get patched out.  We saw our console brethren receive multiple patches, while all we would get were occasional roster updates.  Finally, around 4 months after the game was released, 2K gave PC users a patch.  And it was great, unfortunately the playerbase had already dwindled to a few hundred players, as is the case with most sports games...they rarely have much of a shelf life.

NBA 2K12 came out, and there really weren't any improvements (although this is typical for sports franchises...2K11 was a major improvement over the previous year, so taking a year off was expected), some tweaking of the controls, but the game was mostly the same, except for My Crew mode (create-a-team mode made up of your friends create-a-players) which was conspicuously absent.  The same annoying bugs popped up.  Again, we had to wait nearly half a year for a patch.  Again, the game was dead when it was finally fixed.

There was great hope for NBA 2K13, although we should have seen the warning signs.  Initial price point was set at $29.99, half of the cost for the console versions.  There was no preordering allowed, unless you wanted a physical copy (which nobody did).  Two days before launch day, they decided to tell us that the digital version was going to be delayed 2 weeks.  That 2 weeks became a month.  Extremely few retail stores had physical copies, because NO GODDAMNED PC USERS BUY PHYSICAL COPIES ANYMORE.  The only option for diehard fans was to order online and pay for shipping.

We thought we would get some of the every-other-year innovation that tends to happen with sports games.  What we got was half a game.  Major gameplay modes were cut from the PC version.  They left in their AWESOME NEW CASH SHOP, but removed the ability for us to use it, meaning we could earn sweet VC (think gaben bux) and just look at them sitting in our account.  The few people who got their hands on a copy couldn't play online, because matchmaking was broken again.  Single player career modes had absolutely crippling AI problems that couldn't be adjusted.  All we had was a blinged out (Thanks for nothing, Jay-Z) broken game that really wasn't fun at all.

And here we are, almost a year post-release.  Still no patch.  2K doesn't respond to questions or support from PC users anymore.  We are forgotten, a quick cash-grab and thanks for your years of support, now go buy our more expensive, full version on a console.

tl;dr  fuck 2K sports.  I was totally prepared to buy EA's new basketball franchise out of spite...of course, that ain't coming to PC either.

[customspoiler='divine truth']

Would like to take a brief ridiculously long moment to dissuade anyone from purchasing NBA 2K13.

I have been a ravenous fan of 2K's NBA franchise since the Dreamcast/Visual Concepts days, and have purchased every iteration since it began. A couple years ago, I stopped buying the console versions and tried out the PC release of NBA 2K11. It was stunning. Easily moddable, incredible graphics, and rock solid gameplay. The absolute pinnacle of single player sports gaming. Unfortunately, the online multiplayer was lacking...matchmaking was broken, and worse, to combat latency, your graphics settings would all be reset to Low. PC users waited around wondering when the bugs (and there were many of them) would get patched out. We saw our console brethren receive multiple patches, while all we would get were occasional roster updates. Finally, around 4 months after the game was released, 2K gave PC users a patch. And it was great, unfortunately the playerbase had already dwindled to a few hundred players, as is the case with most sports games...they rarely have much of a shelf life.

NBA 2K12 came out, and there really weren't any improvements (although this is typical for sports franchises...2K11 was a major improvement over the previous year, so taking a year off was expected), some tweaking of the controls, but the game was mostly the same, except for My Crew mode (create-a-team mode made up of your friends create-a-players) which was conspicuously absent. The same annoying bugs popped up. Again, we had to wait nearly half a year for a patch. Again, the game was dead when it was finally fixed.

There was great hope for NBA 2K13, although we should have seen the warning signs. Initial price point was set at $29.99, half of the cost for the console versions. There was no preordering allowed, unless you wanted a physical copy (which nobody did). Two days before launch day, they decided to tell us that the digital version was going to be delayed 2 weeks. That 2 weeks became a month. Extremely few retail stores had physical copies, because NO GODDAMNED PC USERS BUY PHYSICAL COPIES ANYMORE. The only option for diehard fans was to order online and pay for shipping.

We thought we would get some of the every-other-year innovation that tends to happen with sports games. What we got was half a game. Major gameplay modes were cut from the PC version. They left in their AWESOME NEW CASH SHOP, but removed the ability for us to use it, meaning we could earn sweet VC (think gaben bux) and just look at them sitting in our account. The few people who got their hands on a copy couldn't play online, because matchmaking was broken again. Single player career modes had absolutely crippling AI problems that couldn't be adjusted. All we had was a blinged out (Thanks for nothing, Jay-Z) broken game that really wasn't fun at all.

And here we are, almost a year post-release. Still no patch. 2K doesn't respond to questions or support from PC users anymore. We are forgotten, a quick cash-grab and thanks for your years of support, now go buy our more expensive, full version on a console.

[/customspoiler]

tl;dr fuck 2K sports. I was totally prepared to buy EA's new basketball franchise out of spite...of course, that ain't coming to PC either.

And 2K gets away with it every year cuz we're grimy pirates who don't have an alternate NBA game to buy.

SO fuck US SMH

It seems like 2K12 + the fuckING AMAZING Ultimate Base Roster is the way to go.

I'm really new to STEAM and not sure the pattern(s) of their sales, but I was wondering if anyone would guess if Gone Home will end up on sale anytime soon or in the future?  I'm not sure what they like to put on sale and such.  I know it's 10% off right now, but was wondering about a 50%~ sale or something.  Thanks.

I'm really new to STEAM and not sure the pattern(s) of their sales, but I was wondering if anyone would guess if Gone Home will end up on sale anytime soon or in the future? I'm not sure what they like to put on sale and such. I know it's 10% off right now, but was wondering about a 50%~ sale or something. Thanks.
Give it a few months.

They'll probably throw it in the Halloween sale with a decent discount (50% tops, probably), though it isn't technically a horror game at all.

Also, it will undoubtedly be bundled eventually. As all things are.

And 2K gets away with it every year cuz we're grimy pirates who don't have an alternate NBA game to buy.

So fuck us. smh

It seems like 2K12 + the amazing Ultimate Base Roster is the way to go.
2K12 is fine, and UBR is freaking incredible. The PC modding community put up with a ton of shit, but still produced some incredible stuff. Sadly, many of them gave up, as 2K gave up on us.

This will be the first year I don't purchase a NBA2K game. We're getting a chopped PS3/360 port instead of the next gen version anyway. Going to be a bad year for PC sports gamers...FIFA will be the old engine, MLB 2K has already been cancelled...I think the only "new" game we'll get is Konami's PES, although that has been falling further behind FIFA every year. Would be a good chance for them to catch up.

I'm really new to STEAM and not sure the pattern(s) of their sales, but I was wondering if anyone would guess if Gone Home will end up on sale anytime soon or in the future? I'm not sure what they like to put on sale and such. I know it's 10% off right now, but was wondering about a 50%~ sale or something. Thanks.
rule of thumb for any PC game, pay what it worth too you. because it will be cheaper it just a mater of when. even if it 75% off an you buy it, later it will be part of a bundle for a dollar!

i payed retail price for few games that i wanted, an waited for bundles/75% off others .

Anyone got the new Splinter Cell? Is the PC version any good?

Amazing luck, I decided to uninstall my largest game, Max Payne 3, to free some space but I wanted to back it up first. Steam decided it needs content conversion so now I'm sitting here downloading several gigs for a game I plan to uninstall. My fault for checking if it was up to date before backing it up.

shaq_zpsa0809f65.png

DAT ENHANCED STEAM HOMESITE ADVANTAGE

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQAxtgzl6TU[/youtube]

Anybody cop the new Shaqs today? Looks tight, right? They're free but you have to wear them for the rest of your life.

edit: And you have to move to America.

The Official Sneaker of Enhanced Steam.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En9rx7M3TNs[/youtube]

The Official Seinfeld Clip of Enhanced Steam.

That's the nature of the Steam market, it's not personal, it's cardz. People will undercut a bitch in a hot minute. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

rule of thumb for any PC game, pay what it worth too you. because it will be cheaper it just a mater of when. even if it 75% off an you buy it, later it will be part of a bundle for a dollar!

i payed retail price for few games that i wanted, an waited for bundles/75% off others .
Listen to Jimmy.

Most of us have a pretty malleable predicted-joy/dollar system. Some CAGs go by the predicted-hours-of-gameplay/dollar.

Cranky every time I see your name and that Avatar all I can think of is this game

u4fg.jpg

Which I kind of like, even though it's just a cheesy, simple bubble popper game and I bought it at full price ($3) :p

On a completely unrelated note, I just got this

qj89.jpg

I feel like it's Christmas and Easter and Shichi Go San Matsuri all rolled into one!  :bouncy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back