The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Since daily's are 48 hours now, I figured I'd wait till after the humble weekly goes live in 3 hours to make sure To the Moon isn't a part of it before picking it up since this is the first time it has gone to 75% off to my knowledge.

edit: looks like I was able to stop the italic bleed.

Since daily's are 48 hours now, I figured I'd wait till after the humble weekly goes live in 3 hours to make sure To the Moon isn't a part of it before picking it up since this is the first time it has gone to 75% off to my knowledge.

edit: looks like I was able to stop the italic bleed.
I actually deleted this very same sentiment from my post, because I ultimately decided that a dollar of hard-earned genuine US American currency is worth more than $2.49 in freely-earned GabeN funbux.

I also recommend To the Moon. Its worth it even @ the regular price. You should play it in one sitting as you will enjoy the story that way. Also be careful of dusts in your room when your near the end of the game. It irritated my eyes when I finished it.

Also the soundtrack is superb. I even bought it in bandcamp and its been my ringtone since then. Just search for youtube of "Everything Alright" by Laura Shigihara.

If you're okay with the idea that To The Moon is basically a visual novel in an RPG Maker framework and that it really has very little replayability, I think it is excellent for what it is (particularly if you are a sentimental type or secretly an old softie :p).

The concept behind it is interesting and the way the story unfolds in backwards order where you get the end first and then go back from there is different and works well.

I'd say it's worth a couple $ irl and definitely a couple of bucks of funny money.

And NinjaSquirrel yes you need to play it. ;) I was going to tell you the other day when you were ragging on Cherry that you might enjoy To The Moon. It's short anyway so it's not a huge commitment.

Yes, its a type of game that you should only play once and savor it just like The Walking Dead.

The only thing that I didnt like in To the Moon is the combat. I thought that its not needed and fortunately its only a one time thing.

I hope the next story in the series will be just as good.

If you're okay with the idea that To The Moon is basically a visual novel in an RPG Maker framework and that it really has very little replayability, I think it is excellent for what it is (particularly if you are a sentimental type or secretly an old softie :p).

The concept behind it is interesting and the way the story unfolds in backwards order where you get the end first and then go back from there is different and works well.

I'd say it's worth a couple $ irl and definitely a couple of bucks of funny money.

And NinjaSquirrel yes you need to play it. ;) I was going to tell you the other day when you were ragging on Cherry that you might enjoy To The Moon. It's short anyway so it's not a huge commitment.
You guys are making what was an unattractive game, to me, sound very appealing.

I played the first hour or so of To The Moon, but can't bring myself to finish it, but not for the reasons you would think.  The reason I can't finish it is because the game conveys the story too well.

And hits too close to home for me.

I didn't see anyone comment on whether To The Moon is any good. So...?

I also recommend To the Moon. Its worth it even @ the regular price. You should play it in one sitting as you will enjoy the story that way. Also be careful of dusts in your room when your near the end of the game. It irritated my eyes when I finished it.

Also the soundtrack is superb. I even bought it in bandcamp and its been my ringtone since then. Just search for youtube of "Everything Alright" by Laura Shigihara.
I fifth or sixth (?) the sentiments of previous posters. Here's my review. I also have a direct link to the soundtrack page there. EDIT: And here's the link if you don't feel like reading my review. It's some pretty great music.

You guys are making what was an unattractive game, to me, sound very appealing.
Heck, I'm tempted to double-dip on this one too, just for a cheap copy of the soundtrack (and maybe to confuse Motoki a little too).

I'm glad I asked, because now you guys have me downloading this remotely, so I can play it tonight. It was going to go into the first tier of the backlog, but based on all these comments, I'm left with no choice but to start it as soon as possible.

so this isn't related to anything, but I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys. I'm looking to get a new mid-tier (I think) laptop, and found this one on amazon: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKFFFXO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0PKXCNFY2QY9YFM1G68X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

It seemed a decent deal to me, but I couldn't find much about it so I was wondering if anyone could give me their take on it. I don't intend to play a lot of high end games on it, but want to get something decent anyway. This is pretty much my max budget, but I'm open to basically anything if you guys can find something better :) 

so this isn't related to anything, but I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys. I'm looking to get a new mid-tier (I think) laptop, and found this one on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKFFFXO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0PKXCNFY2QY9YFM1G68X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

It seemed a decent deal to me, but I couldn't find much about it so I was wondering if anyone could give me their take on it. I don't intend to play a lot of high end games on it, but want to get something decent anyway. This is pretty much my max budget, but I'm open to basically anything if you guys can find something better :)
We got an Acer for my wife recently. Similar price range, but with AMD in it, the A8 series. We hate it. lol. We actually need to send it in for repairs, but it's been nothing but blue and green screens, random shut downs, keyboard squeals, etc. I'd heard nothing but good things about Acer so we likely just got a dud, but it's been annoying.

We got an Acer for my wife recently. Similar price range, but with AMD in it, the A8 series. We hate it. lol. We actually need to send it in for repairs, but it's been nothing but blue and green screens, random shut downs, keyboard squeals, etc. I'd heard nothing but good things about Acer so we likely just got a dud, but it's been annoying.
:cold: that's not encouraging. I've never owned an acer, but it doesn't sound like maybe it should stay that way :whistle2:(

Well it's got a discreet video card so that's a start. Most laptops tend to have Intel HD graphics and whenever I see that it's an instant

tumblr_m6pmqaYPFs1rohgoeo1_500.gif

the 720 is not the top end of mobile video cards but you're also not paying the top end price for it. It's still better than Intel HD.

Notebookcheck.net is a good reference site, particularly scroll down and look at the benchmarks for various games and see if that seems acceptable to you. It seems to do okay for most stuff on the low to medium settings. Not amazing, but okay.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-720M.90247.0.html

But yeah if you're one of those MUST HAVE 60FPS ON EVERYTHING AT ALL TIMES types then you're gonna have a problem with that card.

Well it's go a discreet video card so that's a start. Most laptops tend to have Intel HD graphics and whenever I see that it's an instant

tumblr_m6pmqaYPFs1rohgoeo1_500.gif

the 720 is not the top end of mobile video cards but you're also not paying the top end price for it. It's still better than Intel HD.

Notebookcheck.net is a good reference site, particularly scroll down and look at the benchmarks for various games and see if that seems acceptable to you. It seems to do okay for most stuff on the low to medium settings. Not amazing, but okay.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-720M.90247.0.html

But yeah if you're one of those MUST HAVE 60FPS ON EVERYTHING AT ALL TIMES types then you're gonna have a problem with that card.
yeah I'm definitely not (heck I played through the original Portal back when it was free on low, 800x600, getting 15-20FPS, and still managed to enjoy it). So long as the game will run at a stable 30 I'm good, and I mostly want it for low end indie stuff anyway so I figured it would work alright.

I share your sentiments about HD graphics. My old laptop had them...never again :bomb:

[quote name="MrNinjaSquirrel" post="11004837" timestamp="1377189802"]

It seemed a decent deal to me, but I couldn't find much about it so I was wondering if anyone could give me their take on it. I don't intend to play a lot of high end games on it, but want to get something decent anyway. This is pretty much my max budget, but I'm open to basically anything if you guys can find something better :)[/quote]
I recommend you visit notebookreview forums

If only I had visited those forums before I bought my crappy Dell...

Acer laptops have a bad reputation in general.
I recommend you visit notebook review forums

If only I had visited that forum before I bought my crappy Dell...
well I guess I should reconsider this one then. What brands would you recommend? I know Dell, HP/Compaq, and Toshiba are generally on the low end of the quality scale, so that leaves what? Asus and Lenovo?

[quote name="MrNinjaSquirrel" post="11004956" timestamp="1377192248"]
well I guess I should reconsider this one then. What brands would you recommend? I know Dell, HP/Compaq, and Toshiba are generally on the low end of the quality scale, so that leaves what? Asus and Lenovo?[/quote]
I read a lot of good things about Asus, and a lot of bad things about dell and HP. It depends on how much you want to spend and what will be the main purpose of the laptop.

LOL. I just finish reading your first post. On that price range, I think Lenovo is the winner

I read a lot of good things about Asus, and a lot of bad things about dell and HP. It depends on how much you want to spend and what will be the main purpose of the laptop. LOL. I just finish reading your first post. On that price range, I think Lenovo is the winner
do you have any specific recommendations?

well I guess I should reconsider this one then. What brands would you recommend? I know Dell, HP/Compaq, and Toshiba are generally on the low end of the quality scale, so that leaves what? Asus and Lenovo?
I've personally owned/used quite a few Dells that were all quite decent. I had a really nice lower end HP laptop 10 years back (last of the P-IIIs), and the several Compaqs have been quite decent. Asus and Lenovo are decent options as well (their quality increases the more you pay.).

I'd suggest keeping an eye on SlickDeals, They spot a number of short sales or refurb/scratch-n-dent deals frequently among Dells and Lenovos. I've seen a handfull of interesting gaming oriented laptops for $600-800.

expired example:

example 2

I've personally owned/used quite a few Dells that were all quite decent. I had a really nice lower end HP laptop 10 years back (last of the P-IIIs), and the several Compaqs have been quite decent. Asus and Lenovo are decent options as well (their quality increases the more you pay.).

I'd suggest keeping an eye on SlickDeals, They spot a number of short sales or refurb/scratch-n-dent deals frequently among Dells and Lenovos. I've seen a handfull of interesting gaming oriented laptops for $600-800.

expired example:

example 2
so many conflicting opinions :whee:

I have been checking slickdeals, but haven't seen anything great yet. Both of those are outside my price range, and most I've seen in my budget have been pretty low end. I also was hoping to get one before the end of the month, but I guess I should hold off and hope good things come to those that wait.

expired example:
example 2

I had very bad experiences with refurb laptops. And a few friends too. But if doesn't matters to you sending yours to service center a couple times, you can search through Dell's outlet. You can even get alienwares on the cheap, if you don't want the latest CPU/GPU.

You know, I was going to recommend HP since I had decent experiences with them, but I am currently dealing with their CS and they are pretty awful.  I have never had an HP or Compaq that didn't need to be repaired within a year or two, but at least they usually took care of the repairs easily.

Right now I spent an hour on the phone trying to convince the CSR that I indeed did have a LCD screen problem when I first sent my laptop in 3 repairs ago which is why they replaced the raw panel.

They just told me that the raw panel is not the LCD screen and they will have their manager call be back within two days since I am crazy. 

I've seen a lot of students here with Acers and normally they look like they've been thrown down a well. Very poor manufacturing, at a glance.

I have a laptop with AMD A10 on it and it is pretty awesome. Did you check out the Dell Outlet?

They have a laptop with an AMD card for 5something and one with Nvidia for 6something.

^^that. Check dell outlet. You can even call them to reduce the price. Dell is famous for reducing the price by phone if you know how to deal with them (check notebookreview)

I have a laptop with AMD A10 on it and it is pretty awesome. Did you check out the Dell Outlet?

They have a laptop with an AMD card for 5something and one with Nvidia for 6something.
is this what you mean? Seems good, but I'll have to see if they charge tax where I live first ($50 difference if they do).

^^that. Check dell outlet. You can even call them to reduce the price. Dell is famous for reducing the price by phone if you know how to deal with them (check notebookreview)
Thanks for the tip, I definitely will try that :)

Apparently you can get 90% off coupons for Skullgirls from crafting cards.. and the game just came out today..

soTuDTm.png

Apparently you can get 90% off coupons for Skullgirls from crafting cards.. and the game just came out today..

soTuDTm.png
Well, motivation enough to try to get it. I've always wanted to play skullgirls but $15 is too much. It looks like a great boob fighting game. I'm a newb with fighting games, so i figured this would be a great game to try, plus the graphics look awesome being hand drawn and such :mrgreen:

Sound advice. I owned quite a number of laptops and the current brands of choice for me are Asus and Lenovo. I used to like Dell and HP, but Dell is now overpriced with crap CS. (For the record, they've always been overpriced, but earlier in this century, they had impeccable CS which made up for it.) HP's have bells and whistles, but something always seems to die prematurely for me with them. I had Levovo previously for work and that thing was a tank, never had one single issue with it. I currently have an Asus and while the build quality isn't as tight as the Lenovo, it's still a solid worry-free laptop that get's me 10+ hours of continuous use. I will say this, however, I owned an Acer prior to the Lenovo and only used it for light work (surfing, productivity, etc.) and for the money, it did it's job well enough. I think people buy Acer's expecting something more at a low-low price, which is not sound thinking. It's a budget machine. Even a Yugo will last and be reliable transportaion if it's cared for and not driven like a Maserati.

As far as customer service, I've only dealt with Sharp (back in the dot-com, with a premium, next day service warranty, standard) and Apple (multiple times over the last decade+), both of which were excellent.

Actually sending my HP Pavilion dv7-7030us in for service today. The touchpad keeps going in and out. HP surprisingly was quite easy to deal with over the HP support chat. 24/7 I could chat with a tech. Told them I updated BIOS and re-installed drivers and they were "ok you did all the steps so it sounds like a hardware issue. FedEx will be there tomorrow and send it in to us and you will get it back in 6-9 business days"

Have loved everything about this laptop except the integrated graphics card. I wasn't into PC gaming when I bought it so not having a dedicated graphics card didn't matter much to me at the time but now a  year later I regret not getting a laptop with a dedicated graphics card.

I can play low - mid range games most of the time. But now that I've decided to cross over to PC gaming I wish I would of got something with a dedicated graphics card. Live and learn. 

Just gives me an excuse to start saving to upgrade my desktop lol.

Moral of the story I guess is I was surprised at HP's customer service which I had heard horror stories about and also make sure to get a dedicated graphics card.

Actually sending my HP Pavilion dv7-70330us in for service today. The touchpad keeps going in and out. HP surprisingly was quite easy to deal with over the HP support chat. 24/7 I could chat with a tech. Told them I updated BIOS and re-installed drivers and they were "ok you did all the steps so it sounds like a hardware issue. FedEx will be there tomorrow and send it in to us and you will get it back in 6-9 business days"

Have loved everything about this laptop except the integrated graphics card. I wasn't into PC gaming when I bought it so not having a dedicated graphics card didn't matter much to me.

I can play low - mid range games most of the time. But now that I've decided to cross over to PC gaming I wish I would of got something with a dedicated graphics card. Live and learn.

Just gives me an excuse to start saving to upgrade my desktop lol.
Yeah, to be fair, HP CS has been good so far. My issue is that I first had issues with it in April and this will now be the 4th time I've had to send it back since there has been an issue with it each time it came back. Mainly the LCD they replaced has dead pixels and damage to it. The turn around time is decent but that will still mean a full month since I sent it in that I will have been without my laptop. They have a lemon policy which should technically be in play right now, but from the time I first sent it in to now the warrant on my laptop expired so they keep trying to find a way to not honor it, even though this all stems from the original repair while it was in warranty. I think the end of my patience came when the CSR kept insisting I never mentioned an LCD problem any time I called in despite the LCD panel being replaced during the first repair.

so many conflicting opinions :whee:
People on the internet have different opinions? Who knew?! ;)

soTuDTm.png
IT'S A TARP! I just crafted a whole mess of badges, used up a bunch of funny money in the process and no Skullgirls 90% coupon. Whole lot of Serious Sam though. :roll:

I think mysterd hacked fox's account

So what do you think about 3rd party drm?
What about Red Dead Redemption? I really think that needs a PC port.

Dell is mediocre at best and their customer service is ATROCIOUS.
Whose CS isn't these days.

*Edit: I guess except HP. Except when they tell you are a crazy man and they will call you back in 2 days.

And sorry Ashes but I refuse to drink the Kool Aid and join the cult of Jobs. I'll deal with shitty Indian/Filipino customer service first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back