The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
My rant was just... As far as I see it, Uplay rewards are usually either a MP3 or desktop wallpaper, or something like a character skin or weapon capacity upgrade, or extra car race, that was taken out of the game and locked behind a Uplay achievement.

This is fine, I have no problem with that, but what got me irritated enough to write a rant was when I see a gamer promoting the uplay rewards system as "free DLC" as if Ubisoft is giving away worthwhile content you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. In my opinion, if there was no uplay reward system all those "rewards" would still be in the game. I don't see it as them giving you additional free DLC, they're just setting aside very minor pieces of content as a marketing gimmick and then letting you earn it back.
Eh, I think I called it a "free DLC". I agree with you that its mostly cosmetic, but hey, they charge money for that stuff on steam (case in point: Tomb Raider 2013, Sleeping Dogs etc.) and they're still considered DLCs there. I'd rather earn that stuff than have to pay for it.

My point was just that its arbitrary to consider steam a better client/service because it does things better or has better policies. I dont think its true on either account. It's just that (1) they were the first in the market and (2) they have the most games. Nothing more nothing less.

I personally dislike the hate for uplay and origin. I dont get the point and I dont see the inconvenience of having multiple clients. Back in the day, we had all of our discs organised and had to track what games were installed and what saves were backed up etc. (when we didnt have any of these clients.)

To summarize: the supposed DLC perks that you get from using Uplay are BS. It's just stuff that they took out of the game to give back to you as a supposed perk.
But we have to pay for that BS on steam (see my above post - TR2013, sleeping dogs, countless other games that I cant be bothered looking up but basically anything thats cosmetic.)

So how exactly is steam better than uplay on that account? I would rather earn it than pay for it.

Sorry for deleting my rants, I just felt like I wasn't getting my point across properly and wound up making myself look like a dumb ass trying to start a fight. I was just frustrated.

Sorry for deleting my rants, I just felt like I wasn't getting my point across properly and wound up making myself look like a dumb ass trying to start a fight. I was just frustrated.
Lol, I think your rants are fine and dont think you need to delete them (unless the mods are lurking, which in that case just put something in the post about Tropico 4 being on sale or something.)

I think my point is just that I find a lot of people dislike Origin and uPlay for the pure reason that "it's not steam". That part I kind of dont get. I think steam is by far the better social client, but as a DRM and game management client? I think they're all the same (but uPlay is probably the prettiest.)

I'm way more self conscious of what I post on CAG than anywhere else for some reason. I often will write something and then delete it cause I wasn't happy with what I was trying to say.

I wasn't exactly hating on Uplay as a client but I don't want any of my purchases tied to their store. In my rant I was hating on the Uplay rewards but I really don't mind them, I was hating on the idea that it's an appealing feature of the platform.

But we have to pay for that BS on steam (see my above post - TR2013, sleeping dogs, countless other games that I cant be bothered looking up but basically anything thats cosmetic.)

So how exactly is steam better than uplay on that account? I would rather earn it than pay for it.
Well it kinda sucks paying for that crap too I guess (assuming that you actually do buy it). All I'm saying is that it's no great shakes that you get them as "Special" unlocks for using Uplay. It's just crap that should have been in the game to begin with.

I confess though that I'm not quite as passionate about this subject as ya'll are (though I generally agree with SSE's position). So this will likely be my last comment on the matter.

I'm way more self conscious of what I post on CAG than anywhere else for some reason. I often will write something and then delete it cause I wasn't happy with what I was trying to say.
You're the Anti-Tebowdragon15

I wasn't exactly hating on Uplay as a client but I don't want any of my purchases tied to their store. In my rant I was hating on the Uplay rewards but I really don't mind them, I was hating on the idea that it's an appealing feature of the platform.
Fair enough. I guess I just feel like people dump on all the other clients, but steam just gets a free pass cause of their market share. I still remember when Half Life 2 first came out and people bitched like crap about having to use steam.

I actually dont mind using two clients (I actually use 4 total if you count Desura). I just remember that anytime I want to play a ubisoft game, I open uplay. Kinda nice since my steam library is not organised at all!

But each to their own I guess. Personally, I just dont see the difference having a game attached to steam or attached to Uplay. So long as it's a game, it's enjoyable and it's cheap, it makes no difference to me other than the fact that it doesn't increase my game library number on steam. That's no big loss to me.

Well it kinda sucks paying for that crap too I guess (assuming that you actually do buy it). All I'm saying is that it's no great shakes that you get them as "Special" unlocks for using Uplay. It's just crap that should have been in the game to begin with.

I confess though that I'm not quite as passionate about this subject as ya'll are (though I generally agree with SSE's position). So this will likely be my last comment on the matter.
Yeah, I get what you mean but I do think its something that ubisoft games on uplay do better than 3rd party publisher games on steam. Ultimately, I just think we give steam a free pass on stuff. I don't like the idea that we're all steam fanboys. We are fans of gaming and if there are many platforms that could challenge each other to offer different experiences, more power to them.

You're the Anti-Tebowdragon15
what bout me so suck it no jk i thought that antiidiot and mind link tho they more outspoken

Fair enough. I guess I just feel like people dump on all the other clients, but steam just gets a free pass cause of their market share. I still remember when Half Life 2 first came out and people bitched like crap about having to use steam.

I actually dont mind using two clients (I actually use 4 total if you count Desura). I just remember that anytime I want to play a ubisoft game, I open uplay. Kinda nice since my steam library is not organised at all!

But each to their own I guess. Personally, I just dont see the difference having a game attached to steam or attached to Uplay. So long as it's a game, it's enjoyable and it's cheap, it makes no difference to me other than the fact that it doesn't increase my game library number on steam. That's no big loss to me.
I think it's primarily an OCD thing. It just feels so messy to have games in so many different places :whee: :puke:

what bout me so suck it no jk i thought that antiidiot and mind link tho they more outspoken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY

Wow I feel like a little kid, but I need pictures @_@ I can't read a wall of text all of the time, where's Idiotekque or Mind Link?
david%20tennant%20happy.gif

RE: Uplay Rewards

I have to wonder who's actually even looked into and use the Uplay reward system. I just fired up Uplay, and I'm now looking at my reward options. Consider these (they're ordered from cheapest to most expensive as you go down each game's list).

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

• Wallpaper
  • Noble Attire
  • Altair's Armor
  • Altair's Robes
  • Ammo Upgrade
  • Hellequin (MP character)

Assassin's Creed Revelations

• Wallpaper
  • Three new weapons and medicine upgrade
  • New tower-defense missions
  • Templar (MP character)

Driver SF

• Wallpaper
  • Dodge Challenger Mission
  • Dodge Charger Police Car (MP car)
  • Four new missions

Far Cry 3

• Wallpaper
  • MP tattoo pack
  • New handgun
  • New mission

Car Fry Blood Dragon

• One wallpaper, rest are music unlocks

Ghost Recon Future Soldier

• Wallpaper
  • Some weird double unlock choice thing
  • Two new guns
  • New map for one game mode

HAWX 2

• Wallpaper
  • New weapon set for one plane
  • New plane skins
  • New MP map

HoMM 6

• Wallpaper
  • Wallpaper
  • New character portraits
  • New character portraits
  • New weapon
  • New pet
  • Extra trait slot
  • New hero

Silent Hunter 5

• Wallpaper
  • New sub skins
  • New mission
  • New mission

So in the end, there are cosmetic rewards, and silly ones, but there are also cool unlocks. Steam isn't giving you any of this stuff. In fact, Steam is STILL making you pay for the "silly unlocks". Personally, I usually prefer cosmetic DLC over some other DLCs, so I think it's cool.

The moral of this story is that Uplay is awesome. Badass download speeds, too.

So in the end, there are cosmetic rewards, and silly ones, but there are also cool unlocks. Steam isn't giving you any of this stuff. In fact, Steam is STILL making you pay for the "silly unlocks". Personally, I usually prefer cosmetic DLC over some other DLCs, so I think it's cool.

The moral of this story is that Uplay is awesome. Badass download speeds, too.
You're talking about content the developer/publisher offers as part of their game (Uplay rewards), vs content that those same publishers sell on Steam and other retail outlets (paid DLC). This is decided by the publisher (Ubisoft), not the store (Steam). Your comparison is nonsensical.

You're talking about content the developer/publisher offers as part of their game (Uplay rewards), vs content that those same publishers sell on Steam and other retail outlets (paid DLC). This is decided by the publisher (Ubisoft), not the store (Steam). Your comparison is nonsensical.
Your face is nonsensical.

Right. People bitched like crap when it first came out, which was nine years ago. Back then it was an annoyance and an imposition. If it had remained what it was then, it still would be. It hasn't, though. Steam has a number of useful features that make it seem nigh imperative these days.

What I'm getting from this is not so much that it rewards you with DLC but that playing these games gives you in-game unlockables, much like a lot of games. And in the case where these things can be purchased separately, that "DLC" is just an unlock DLC, much like some other games also offer. Or are these things that are also available on Steam but ONLY via paid unlock through a DLC purchase? In that case, isn't it more the publisher's sin than UPlay itself doing anything wrong? And when Ubi is the publisher, just a bonus for their subs?

Edit: SSE beat me to my conclusion.

And yeah...HOLY SHIT, EA HUMBLE BUNDLE. Is there any joke we can make that WON'T come true???
Humble Nintendo Bundle with download codes for 3DS and WiiU titles.

Seriously, I'd BTA on that one...

Crysis 1 would be cool too. Personally I'm holding out for Dragon Age 2 steam keys.
If they did do this, I'd actually start to forgive EA. Just start to, mind you. But that's monumental.

The thing is that with the GFWL and 360 versions of SSFIV, the color plaette swaps for different costumes in the game are all free. Now that it's on Steam, expect to pay $0.99 for that DLC. Capcom loves charging you extra for preloaded disc content that requires a DLC key to unlock, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Now if this was a post about MegaMan coming to Steam, I'd be shitting rainbow leopards right now.
"Megaman Legends 3, now added to the Humble Nintendo Bundle as a separate 3DS key!"

What I'm getting from this is not so much that it rewards you with DLC but that playing these games gives you in-game unlockables, much like a lot of games. And in the case where these things can be purchased separately, that "DLC" is just an unlock DLC, much like some other games also offer. Or are these things that are also available on Steam but ONLY via paid unlock through a DLC purchase? In that case, isn't it more the publisher's sin than UPlay itself doing anything wrong? And when Ubi is the publisher, just a bonus for their subs?
No, not really. Just about every game, Ubisoft or not, sells you cosmetic DLC, weapon DLC, car DLC, and mission DLC. These types of DLC aren't "unlocked" in game. They aren't "unlock" DLC like Sleeping Dogs has, where you're basically just paying real money to make in game money easier and whatnot.

So no, Uplay rewards are giving you things that other publishers are charging you for most of the time.

And as for the SSE's point saying that Ubi is the publisher, whereas Valve isn't the publisher on Steam games, howabout the games they DO make? Do you get free DLC for playing Valve games on Steam? Last I checked... no. All I was doing in the first place was pointing out Uplay rewards, how they're cool, and how Steam doesn't have anything similar. That's 1 point for Uplay > Steam.

"Megaman Legends 3, now added to the Humble Nintendo Bundle as a separate 3DS key!"
Don't play with my fragile heart...

So no, Uplay rewards are giving you things that other publishers are charging you for most of the time.
So... exactly what I said, then. Got it.

I meant that while playing on Uplay, these things are EFFECTIVELY in-game unlocks, because they are. They're unlocked by completing tasks in-game. They only aren't when the same content is only available for a fee on other platforms.

So... exactly what I said, then. Got it.

I meant that while playing on Uplay, these things are EFFECTIVELY in-game unlocks, because they are. They only aren't when compared to the same content being available for a fee on other platforms.
You worded your post oddly. I still don't exactly see what you were saying.

[customspoiler= ??? ]
eyebrows-o.gif
[/customspoiler]

Right. People bitched like crap when it first came out, which was nine years ago. Back then it was an annoyance and an imposition. If it had remained what it was then, it still would be. It hasn't, though. Steam has a number of useful features that make it seem nigh imperative these days.
But what exactly does it have over uPlay or Origin? I think that's me and Idiot's point. Also I'm not sure that steam's ascendance is because of its features or policies. I think it's just because almost all games use it now. It's not like we have a choice for a lot of AAA games over whether or not to use Steam.

People seem to take it as a given that uPlay sucks simply because it's not as good as steam. But other than the fact that it has less games on there (and probably users), does it really differ that much? What are these features that simply don't exist elsewhere?

People seem to love steam, and that's fine. But to rag on other client simply because it's not steam seems to hard to defend.

Edit: other than steam cardzzzz. Which we can all agree is a awesome as a money making scheme for Valve.

Do you get free DLC for playing Valve games on Steam? Last I checked... no.
Don't play with my fragile heart...
Just to stir the pot, most Valve games come with CAAARDZZZZ, which as we know has monetary (albeit almost nonexistent) value. They also throw in weapons and hats (TF2 at least, and CS:GO kinda) which also has monetary value. I don't know, I think $.15 is better than a wallpaper or a Desmond skin for Ezio. Valve even rewards you for trying out new games (Cardz again) yet people throw it away for idling cause, y'know, money. Which also brings it to attaining all of the cards to get backgrounds, icons, or even in game items (albeit a bit high for one ATM). Up lay may give you "DLC" (still think it's stingy that you can't buy another games wallpaper if you don't own it) or trivial items never used or is just a novelty. All things considered though, it's your call if you'd like to make a little bit of dough, or buy items to a game you probably have back logged ( being the collective here backlogs lots)

But what exactly does it have over uPlay or Origin? I think that's me and Idiot's point. Also I'm not sure that it's because of its features or policies. I think it's just because almost all games use it now. It's not like we have a choice for a lot of AAA games over whether or not to use Steam.

People seem to take it as a given that uPlay sucks simply because it's not as good as steam. But other than the fact that it has less games on there (and probably users), does it really differ that much? What are these features that simply don't exist elsewhere?

People seem to love steam, and that's fine. But to rag on other client simply because it's not steam seems to hard to defend.
Steam has a much better community/chat system, and everyone is here. If Uplay had the same, and everyone was there, I'd use it just as much or more. As it stands, it's just a nice gaming client, clean, easy to use, good download speed, and some cool features. It's just lacking the community aspect.

Just to stir the pot, most Valve games come with CAAARDZZZZ, which as we know has monetary (albeit almost nonexistent) value. They also throw in weapons and hats (TF2 at least, and CS:GO kinda) which also has monetary value. I don't know, I think $.15 is better than a wallpaper or a Desmond skin for Ezio. Valve even rewards you for trying out new games (Cardz again) yet people throw it away for idling cause, y'know, money. Which also brings it to attaining all of the cards to get backgrounds, icons, or even in game items (albeit a bit high for one ATM). Up lay may give you "DLC" (still think it's stingy that you can't buy another games wallpaper if you don't own it) or trivial items never used or is just a novelty. All things considered though, it's your call if you'd like to make a little bit of dough, or buy items to a game you probably have back logged ( being the collective here backlogs lots)
Very true. Cards = God.

I wrote another rant about you calling Uplay unlocks "free DLC" but I deleted it. I need to take some deep breaths and go to bed, later CAGs.

NwBZZwE.jpg

I wrote another rant about you calling Uplay unlocks "free DLC" but I deleted it. I need to take some deep breaths and go to bed, later CAGs.
SNAKE! SNAKE! SNAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEE!
A'ight man, night. It happens to all of us, Idiot was put on a weeklong comatose for it, so we know it all good ^_^

@Idiot: least me FTFY,
Cards=money=GabeN's vacation=HL3 being delayed more= more sadness= appeasement to religion for hope for HL3=God

NwBZZwE.jpg
You want people to come to bed with you?

[customspoiler= Huh? ]
Huh%3F.gif
[/customspoiler]

And in response to your invisible rant, I probably agree with you. Most DLC should already be included in the game, so even "free DLC" is kinda silly. That said, most of the time that DLC costs money... so I still consider the Uplay rewards as "free DLC".

um what padawangram eheh

no trying to diss me steam is better than uplay and crapgin combined. big spoony gone wild. SSE need sleep we all shall slleep becausee we going crazy over steeam uplay crapging cardz mysterding
Mix your crapgin with some tonic and fresh lime. I know it's sort of like putting lipstick on a pig, but at least it'll be drinkable.

But what exactly does it have over uPlay or Origin? I think that's me and Idiot's point. Also I'm not sure that steam's ascendance is because of its features or policies. I think it's just because almost all games use it now. It's not like we have a choice for a lot of AAA games over whether or not to use Steam.

Edit: other than steam cardzzzz. Which we can all agree is a awesome as a money making scheme for Valve.
I think it really comes down to mistrust of the publishers in question, whose policies regarding DRM and long term product support are iffy at best. Features of the respective clients don't really matter when you're afraid that a year or two down the road, that the servers behind the scenes will stop being supported and you cannot play any of the games you've purchased which require these clients.

Yay, internet is back ^_^

So just to throw in my bit:

I don't mind using Uplay/Origin instead of Steam, but I do miss the community features. I'll be the weird one though and say is take any platform over a DRM Free download. I just lose track of them and updates are a pain to track.

I tend to agree U-Play rewards are little more than in game unlocked, but I still like them. I really don't know why either, but they feel more satisfying to obtain for whatever reason.

Looks like Humble took a page out of Indie Royale's book with this weekly. Am I the only one that doesn't want to buy it simply because of disliking PewDiePie?

Oh, and cardz are cool, we need more of them (but less of them; 5C sets please) ;)

Am I the only one that doesn't want to buy it simply because of disliking PewDiePie?
It could be the Jack Thompson chosen HIB/IR if my want:price ratio is good I'll buy it. ...it's not like they're on a TV spot on anything... I don't need to get his name tattooed on my ass. A deal is a deal... and the asshat du jour isn't getting any of the money. (And at least with HIB you can always choose the allocation.)

It could be the Jack Thompson chosen HIB/IR if my want:price ratio is good I'll buy it. ...it's not like they're on a TV spot on anything... I don't need to get his name tattooed on my ass. A deal is a deal... and the asshat du jour isn't getting any of the money. (And at least with HIB you can always choose the allocation.)
I probably was incorrect in saying that I didn't buy because of him. I totally agree with you. If the games would have been ones that I wanted, I would have bought in without giving one pile of doody who PDP was. In this instance however, I'm missing a couple of the games, but I don't really need them, so I was on the fence. I watched a part of one of his videos, and it did this:

[customspoiler='Off the Fence']
2bf12bdd682d679f14522941a8f31c9c.jpg
[/customspoiler]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back