The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Unpopular opinion: Torchlight 2 is a bland, okay ARPG for me. There are so many better ones with more character.
I'm listening :)

Torchlight II is a great ARPG. However, if you want a TRUE die-hard sequel to Diablo 2 you need to play Path of Exile.
thanks for reminding me to download that ^_^

Absolutely.

If gamers ever wanted a true gameplay-style sequel to Diablo 2, but instead thrown into a steampunk setting - this is the ticket.

I should go back to it some-time.

A bit ago, I got burnt out on ARPG's & had to get away from it; since I do and have played TONS of these kind of games, over the years.
I still need to play more of the first game, I think I played 30 minutes or so and enjoyed it but never went back.

I'm listening :)
Not to mention a lot of it smacks of laziness. No camera rotation? I know people will say "It works fine without!" but no, it would still benefit highly from camera rotation. And don't even get me started on the 10 mod maximum thing. Even Runic has admitted it's like that out of laziness. They simply didn't and aren't going to put in the time to fully flesh out the mod system, so they set an arbitrary limit of 10 mods at once so that things will theoretically stay stable.

It's still a solid game, and it's fun, but it gets more praise than it deserves imo.

Not to mention a lot of it smacks of laziness. No camera rotation? I know people will say "It works fine without!" but no, it would still benefit highly from camera rotation. And don't even get me started on the 10 mod maximum thing. Even Runic has admitted it's like that out of laziness. They simply didn't and aren't going to put in the time to fully flesh out the mod system, so they set an arbitrary limit of 10 mods at once so that things will theoretically stay stable.

It's still a solid game, and it's fun, but it gets more praise than it deserves imo.
I was actually hoping to hear your recommendations for ARPGs not the reasons TL2 sucks (hearing about the fixed camera is a big drawback for me though, so I'll be holding out on this one for a while).

I was actually hoping to hear your recommendations for ARPGs not the reasons TL2 sucks (hearing about the fixed camera is a big drawback for me though, so I'll be holding out on this one for a while).
Ahh. If you wanna go oldschool, Divine Divinity is amazing. Graphics still hold up, great loot, level design, the whole shabang. Titan Quest (with the Immortal Throne expansion) is still probably my favorite though. The setting, the gameplay, monsters, everything. Just a really solid ARPG that gives you an awesome feel of being very small in a very big world, and carving your way through the game as you get stronger and stronger. Torchlight's dungeons and portals have just always been very meh for me. I like exploration and adventure in ARPGs, and both DD and TQ have that.

Be sure to install the unofficial patch, though. Not only does it fix things up, it adds "dye packs" which give you TONS of different skins for your character.

One of the things I think is unique about Torchlight II for that subgenre is it's rather light hearted and cartoony and I kind of like that. It's something I can play multiplayer with my niece and nephew too who are still young whereas I think Diablo would be a bit much for them and I don't think their mom would approve. :p

Plus they go apeshit over the pets on Torchlight II.

Fixed camera doesn't bother me, eh. It's fun game. It's easily worth the price if you grab it on sale or really even full price I think since they actually priced it decently and not ridiculously high because they could *ahemD3*.

*Edit: Divine Divinity is good but it's really different in spite of some superficial similarities to a Diablo-style. It's much more RPG than those games and is more story driven. That's not a bad thing but sometimes you just want to go loot hunting through a dungeon and play something that's not as deep or involved.

Ahh. If you wanna go oldschool, Divine Divinity is amazing. Graphics still hold up, great loot, level design, the whole shabang. Titan Quest (with the Immortal Throne expansion) is still probably my favorite though. The setting, the gameplay, monsters, everything. Just a really solid ARPG that gives you an awesome feel of being very small in a very big world, and carving your way through the game as you get stronger and stronger. Torchlight's dungeons and portals have just always been very meh for me. I like exploration and adventure in ARPGs, and both DD and TQ have that.

Be sure to install the unofficial patch, though. Not only does it fix things up, it adds "dye packs" which give you TONS of different skins for your character.
cool, will keep an eye out for sales on these. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to ARPGs, but have enjoyed pretty much all the ones I've played (not even good stuff by any means, mostly Marvel/DC variants), so I'd like to try out some of the better portions of the genre .

One of the things I think is unique about Torchlight II for that subgenre is it's rather light hearted and cartoony and I kind of like that. It's something I can play multiplayer with my niece and nephew too who are still young whereas I think Diablo would be a bitch much for them and I don't think their mom would approve. :p

Plus they go apeshit over the pets on Torchlight II.

Fixed camera doesn't bother me, eh. It's fun game. It's easily worth the price if you grab it on sale or really even full price I think since they actually priced it decently and not ridiculously high because they could *ahemD3*.

*Edit: Divine Divinity is good but it's really different in spite of some superficial similarities to a Diablo-style. It's much more RPG than those games and is more story driven. That's not a bad thing but sometimes you just want to go loot hunting through a dungeon and play something that's not as deep or involved.
so correct me if I'm wrong, but does torchlight 1 also have a fixed camera? I will give it a go since I have it already (from some humble bundle, I forget which), but I don't remember having a problem with it and I usually hate fixed cameras in any game. The cartoony style actually is the big draw for me with TL2 (I don't care much for dark games like Diablo) so I will probably pick it up once I've exhausted some of my other options.

Oh, man - I loved Divine Divinity; I'm glad somebody mentioned that. My only complaint ever w/ that game - the English voice-acting is all over the place.

And yeah - Titan Quest + IT is awesome.

cool, will keep an eye out for sales on these. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to ARPGs, but have enjoyed pretty much all the ones I've played (not even good stuff by any means, mostly Marvel/DC variants), so I'd like to try out some of the better portions of the genre .

so correct me if I'm wrong, but does torchlight 1 also have a fixed camera? I will give it a go since I have it already (from some humble bundle, I forget which), but I don't remember having a problem with it and I usually hate fixed cameras in any game. The cartoony style actually is the big draw for me with TL2 (I don't care much for dark games like Diablo) so I will probably pick it up once I've exhausted some of my other options.
The camera is fixed in TL1 as well, but I think Torchcam adds it in (user mod, naturally). I found one camera rotation mod for TL2, but it didn't work at all for me and the creator seems to be MIA.

Oh, man - I loved Divine Divinity; I'm glad somebody mentioned that. My only complaint ever w/ that game - the English voice-acting is all over the place.

Bad voice-acting usually adds to my enjoyment, lol.

+1 for Divine Divinity, though as Motoki pointed out it's a bit less action and a bit more RPG. One of my favorite games of all time. The voice acting is in the category of "so bad it's good".

I only ever played the original Titan Quest (without the expansion). Might have to fire that up with the unofficial patch that's been linked to.

+1 for Divine Divinity, though as Motoki pointed out it's a bit less action and a bit more RPG. One of my favorite games of all time. The voice acting is in the category of "so bad it's good".

I only ever played the original Titan Quest (without the expansion). Might have to fire that up with the unofficial patch that's been linked to.
I've heard a lot of people say that Immortal Throne pretty much fixed the game and made it way better. It's not a simple expansion, it's more of an overhaul (total UI change and whatnot). It also adds a full new campaign I think, as well as expanding the world, so it's up there for one of the best expansions around. I've never beaten the game myself, so I can't speak for the content it adds, though.

Either way, you should definitely give it another try with the expansion and the patch.

I've heard a lot of people say that Immortal Throne pretty much fixed the game and made it way better. It's not a simple expansion, it's more of an overhaul (total UI change and whatnot). It also adds a full new campaign I think, as well as expanding the world, so it's up there for one of the best expansions around. I've never beaten the game myself, so I can't speak for the content it adds, though.

Either way, you should definitely give it another try with the expansion and the patch.
I ain't experienced the new IT area content, either - but I do have it TQ + IT installed.

The Underworld of Hades is the new area in IT.

Damn me and those games that I ain't finished that wind-up in my backlog for whatever reason!

Might have to do just that. I have a 4 day weekend thanks to Labor Day and some "creative scheduling" at work. Currently playing through my first playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas (after modding it to look and sound like Fallout 3) so when I'm done with that I'll probably fire up Titan Quest + expansion + patch.

EDIT: and by "done" I mean I plan on doing a single play through, and possibly one of the expansions. One thing I'm learning (perhaps it's just because it's my first time through New Vegas) is that you simply cannot complete all of the quests, since most of them rely on your faction allegiances.

It's pretty fun though, I could see myself playing through a few times in order to unlock everything.

Might have to do just that. I have a 4 day weekend thanks to Labor Day and some "creative scheduling" at work. Currently playing through my first playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas (after modding it to look and sound like Fallout 3) so when I'm done with that I'll probably fire up Titan Quest + expansion + patch.
Oh, man - FO:NV is awesome. I so love that game.

And make sure you check out Old World Blues DLC content.

All of this ARPG talk of TQ, TL2, Diablo 2, etc - ugh! Maybe it'll soon be that time to eventually get back to some ARPG's...

Oh, man - FO:NV is awesome. I so love that game.

And make sure you check out Old World Blues DLC content.

All of this ARPG talk of TQ, TL2, Diablo 2, etc - ugh! Maybe it'll soon be that time to eventually get back to some ARPG's...
I played the first 3-4 hours of FO:NV on my Xbox 360 when it first came out, but I really found myself hating the music. It was frustrating that the music in FO3 was SOOO good. When I found out last week that I could mod New Vegas to add the GNR (Galaxy News Radio, not Guns N Roses!) songs into New Vegas I fired up a new campaign and I'm already 13 hours in and loving it. Oh, and I changed the Pipboy color to green. :)

EDIT: I feel like one of those stodgy old Windows users that refuses to use anything other than the "Classic" theme and won't upgrade past Windows XP.

Better not be over 15. That game was a turd. lol
I might give Deadly Premonition another shot at $5 or less on sale but outside of the off-the-wall story and characters, the original version is just a bad game. Anyone played the Director's Cut on PS3? Have they improved the controls enough to make it actually fun to play?

Can't you mod it for more mods? I thought that's how wish granting worked, ask for more wishes, until you seem satisfied.

I played the first 3-4 hours of FO:NV on my Xbox 360 when it first came out, but I really found myself hating the music. It was frustrating that the music in FO3 was SOOO good. When I found out last week that I could mod New Vegas to add the GNR (Galaxy News Radio, not Guns N Roses!) songs into New Vegas I fired up a new campaign and I'm already 13 hours in and loving it. Oh, and I changed the Pipboy color to green. :)

EDIT: I feel like one of those stodgy old Windows users that refuses to use anything other than the "Classic" theme and won't upgrade past Windows XP.
Really? I like the music in FO3 too, but I love FNV's soundtrack. It's a totally different vibe. It's cowboy music (NOT country), and it locks down the feel of the Mojave.

To each his own, I suppose.

Most important fix, they added a stash you can use to give items to other characters.

Once you have the expansion, start on that. The game is exactly the same except for the fixes and new zones.

I might give Deadly Premonition another shot at $5 or less on sale but outside of the off-the-wall story and characters, the original version is just a bad game. Anyone played the Director's Cut on PS3? Have they improved the controls enough to make it actually fun to play?
The Director's Cut was the one I played. I thought I was being pranked. I don't get the cult following, but then again, it's a cult following. Maybe the story is interesting, but I could only make it a couple hours until I sent it back to Gamefly.

Can't you mod it for more mods? I thought that's how wish granting worked, ask for more wishes, until you seem satisfied.
You can pack mods together. That's the only way around it. So basically you have to find a mod pack on the Workshop that you like EVERYTHING in, or you have to pack the mods yourself. I don't know how hard or easy it is since I haven't done much with the game.

Most important fix, they added a stash you can use to give items to other characters.

Once you have the expansion, start on that. The game is exactly the same except for the fixes and new zones.
I always used TQVault.

I've been playing Game Dev Tycoon tonight:

xiq7hcy.jpg

It's highly accurate.
This almost made me ruin my monitor.

Unpopular opinion: Torchlight 2 is a bland, okay ARPG for me. There are so many better ones with more character.
QUIET DEVIL! Torchlight 2 is just fun as shit to play (and loot feels like it is paced perfectly), I had fun single player or with friends. I tried Path of Exile feels weird.. I played for around 3 hours. I didn't like the feel of it, especially the way the skills/gems worked, I dunno maybe I should give it another shot. (Ohh and fuck Path of Exile map solution, it was terrible.)

QUIET DEVIL! Torchlight 2 is just fun as shit to play (and loot feels like it is paced perfectly), I had fun single player or with friends. I tried Path of Exile feels weird.. I played for around 3 hours. I didn't like the feel of it, especially the way the skills/gems worked, I dunno maybe I should give it another shot. (Ohh and fuck Path of Exile map solution, it was terrible.)
I played TL2 with friends and it WAS fun as shit to play. I put a shit ton of hours into Torchlight 1 too, AND got all the achievements (even the stupid 1000 fish one).

...but, the game kinda killed itself for me by being too easy to mess around with. I ended up going crazy with the transmuting and the stash file duping. In the end, i had all the set items and uniques and gems and everything. There was no incentive to keep playing because I got everything so easily. Its my own fault, but, I shouldnt have been able to do it. I didnt even beat the game.

I liked Path of Exile. I played it quite a bit. I got 2 characters to level 70 or something until I got bored and quit. It gets really hard to level after that, and you lose a LOT of exp for dying. Finding better gear gets REAL tough. Its a great game though. Its been months since I touched it though. Same for Diablo3, but I actually started playing Diablo 3 again last week (after I heard of the expansion anouncement). I dont know if im going to get the expansion, but I all of a sudden felt like Paragon leveling. I got to level 26, got bored and quit again.

I compulsively click the margins of the Steam client sometimes
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one...

I figured this would be the best place to ask my question, so here goes nothing.

I'm new to the whole Steam, and I know what it does and how it runs. I just bought my PC today, and I already have a X360 and PS3 so I'm looking to play some PC exclusives.
Care to help me out, and give me some suggestions?
Suggestion: wait for a sale!

There's a smallish one at Halloween, a larger sale at Thanksgiving, and then a giant sale right around Christmas.

Also, watch for sales at Green Man Gaming, Amazon DVD, Gamersgate, and all the aforementioned bundle sites as most places give Steam keys when available (almost every place will say if a game is redeemed on Steam).

Suggestion: wait for a sale!

There's a smallish one at Halloween, a larger sale at Thanksgiving, and then a giant sale right around Christmas.

Also, watch for sales at Green Man Gaming, Amazon DVD, Gamersgate, and all the aforementioned bundle sites as most places give Steam keys when available (almost every place will say if a game is redeemed on Steam).
That's definitely what I plan on doing. I;m looking into some of these Indie games that are on sale right now, and I gotta say so far I love the PC lol.

The art style of Torchlight and T2 really appeal to me, the art/look of Diablo 3 kind of turns me off. I haven't played enough T2, I got sidetracked and moved on to other games. My only complaint with it is the enemy draw distance is ridiculously short, it's hard to believe it could be so limited.

I think there's a mod to have enemies detect you from further out but still doesn't fix the draw distance, let me know if I'm wrong.

The art style of Torchlight and T2 really appeal to me, the art/look of Diablo 3 kind of turns me off. I haven't played enough T2, I got sidetracked and moved on to other games. My only complaint with it is the enemy draw distance is ridiculously short, it's hard to believe it could be so limited.

I think there's a mod to have enemies detect you from further out but still doesn't fix the draw distance, let me know if I'm wrong.
Fairly certain the mod does make enemies show up from further away. It's really a sight distance mod, not draw distance.

You can pack mods together. That's the only way around it. So basically you have to find a mod pack on the Workshop that you like EVERYTHING in, or you have to pack the mods yourself. I don't know how hard or easy it is since I haven't done much with the game.
Then why have you been so assertively critical? Have you used 10 mods simultaneously?

I figured this would be the best place to ask my question, so here goes nothing.

I'm new to the whole Steam, and I know what it does and how it runs. I just bought my PC today, and I already have a X360 and PS3 so I'm looking to play some PC exclusives.
Care to help me out, and give me some suggestions?
definitely this one

bad-ratz_UKboxart_160w.jpg

and this one of course

15-Worst-Games-ever-590x281.jpg

these will make every game you play after appear much better than they are.

diablo 3 is awesome
Yep - but D3 ain't currently nowhere as awesome as TL2 & Diablo 2.

The game certainly lacks amount of skills and needs MORE of those, since they tossed-out the stat-managing.

Hopefully, D3 expansion fixes that.

I still wish D3 had an offline mode, though.

Glad I only spend $10 on it. :D

EDIT:

Really? I like the music in FO3 too, but I love FNV's soundtrack. It's a totally different vibe. It's cowboy music (NOT country), and it locks down the feel of the Mojave.

To each his own, I suppose.
Well...ain't that a kick in the head? ;)

I really dug both the soundtracks for FO3 + FO:NV.

Baldur’s Gate 2: Enhanced Edition opens to the world on November 15

As in the original Baldur’s Gate 2, you’re placed in a world that depends on the choices you make and the path you choose for yourself, some lawfully good and others perhaps chaotically evil. But there should be one or two new ways to uncover your character’s true destiny, after hearing back in May that more than 350,000 new words of content had already been added to the enhanced version being completed by Overhaul Games and Beamdog.

Baldur’s Gate 2: EE will launch at $25.
http://baldursgateii.com/

Four New Party Members - Bundled with the PC and Mac versions and available as DLC for iPad and Android, four new characters can join you on your journey. At the behest of his dark patron, Dorn Il-Khan plunders and defiles the Sword Coast. Hunted by Red Wizards, Neera the Wild Mage evades and disrupts the Thayans at every turn. Exercising his growing combat mastery, the monk Rasaad yn Bashir leaves his former allies to hunt the dark figure that corrupted his brother. A mysterious thief in service to mysterious master seeks powerful artifacts from across the globe. Recruit them, use their powers, and uncover over 30 new locations.

The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay - Explore the tactical depth of high-level Dungeons & Dragons combat. Undermine your captors and prey upon their weaknesses while you dodge traps and battle for your life against Demi-Liches, Mind Flayers, and Githyanki.

Easy Multiplayer - Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition makes it easy to find, list, and join multiplayer games, even while behind a firewall.

Widescreen and More - Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition features full widescreen support, remastered area artwork from original renders, and a host of other interface and gameplay improvements.

What happens when pirates play a game development simulator and then go bankrupt because of piracy?

http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/

priate-message.png
Dear GHG,

Please make like Silent Bob and shut the fcuk up. You dickbags have been pushing for free publicity from the get-go and you're still milking it like your prostate when conventional sex has become undesirably monotonous (if that's what you're into, but make sure your girl uses a nail-file beforehand).

PC gaming is already associated with crack(s), hustlers and Super Porn so improving the platform's reputation should be more important to bitchmade development teams like yours -- it's the best option for you.

This stratagem is designed to attract an undeserved spotlight at the cost of a potential reinforcement of PC stereotypes and-

"I see your true colors shining through" - Phil Collins

[SIZE=12.222222328186035px]And that's why I hate you.[/SIZE]

suck my balls

photo-142324.gif

La Planete Sauvage returns. Nice.
We're working on a substantially modified version of this technology here at Bendix.

I think it'll be dubbed "Mind Connect" which, admittedly, does sound stupid but it's ultimately up to our shareholders.

I want verisimilitude in my SR experience. For fuck's sake, Abe is the shortest one there.

@drabe

As much as I think phr00t is a grade-A fucktard, I agree with his stance towards piracy. When you turn on 3079, it thanks you for purchasing the game, but says that if you didn't purchase it, consider your playtime as an extended demo, and buy it if you like it. And if you won't do that, simply recommend the game to your friends.

I'd never recommend that shitty game to my friends in a million years, and I wish I pirated it and didn't spend money on it, but that kinda attitude is spot on. If pirates wanna pirate a game, they're gonna pirate it. Doesn't matter whether there's DRM on it or not.

As for GHG, amusing, but kinda silly considering they hosted the pirate copy themselves and they refer to the pirated copy users as "guilty". Hell, might as well go pirate a new cracked version of the game now since it plays into their "joke". :)

I posted a big rant about that little game dev story tycoon stunt about a week ago. TL;DR - I think stunts like that ultimately hurt PC gamers because they're running around posting pie charts and numbers that most people are pirating their game without the context that it was only being sold in a couple obscure places no one shops at and they are the ones who uploading the torrent in the first place.

Oh and I'm really glad to hear Phroot feels that way about piracy because that's probably the best way to go for 3069/79/89/99/109. That way when he abruptly abandons one for the next at least you around out of money for the old one or on the hook for more money for the new one.

Besides, the last thing indie gaming needs is someone cranking an assembly line of crappy Minecraft knock offs. Greenlight is already littered with them (and Limbo clones, don't get me started on them either) and some of them are actually starting to get in.

Tempted by La-Mulana, currently $5 as part of the Greenlight sale. (yes I know it would be a 66% sin, I wouldn't be posting if 75%, I'd be playing)

Has anyone played it? Any impressions or recommendations? Looks like an unusual, intricate game, kind of Dark Souls-ish in that way..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back