The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Valve is looking at future games, not games that have already come out. They're hoping that once the Steambox "platform" is out there, big companies (and not just indies) will start developing AAA games for Linux (and it is happening, very slowly though). I think that Kickstarter-backed releases are also going to play a big role - most of the big ones have Linux support.
Makes sense. Kickstarter won't be enough though - nobody who's exclusively a console gamer is going to buy a Steambox for that. Sales are probably gonna be verrrrrrrry slow until more AAA publishers support it. I mean, we've all seen what a lack of games has done for the Wii U.

Edit: Didn't see Blade's comment til now. In that case then, I guess it's not as much of an issue, although I have a feeling a lot of console gamers won't feel like buying a Steambox, then buying a copy of Windows and installing it.

the modding on this website is weird
Vote Detruire for mod!

Yep. That's exactly it. I happened to go to the IR page seconds after the bundle went live because I was checking if a Greenlight game got Steam keys. I grabbed it impulsively, seeing a bunch of games that I didn't have and figuring the price would shoot up to $5 in minutes like it usually does. Never saw this Tweet until afterward. Oh well. Only two bucks.
On the topic of keys: I still haven't received any email about the bundle.

Oooh, the controller only has 3 buttons.
That's just because it's stylised: a 3-button controller would be nearly useless; if they were going to change the number of buttons, they'd have to go higher - not lower.

That's just because it's stylised: a 3-button controller would be nearly useless; if they were going to change the number of buttons, they'd have to go higher - not lower.
Well maybe not [customspoiler='completely useless']
joy010.jpg
[/customspoiler]

How is this accomplished? And is there anybody out there in a position to pick up the full season @91% off?
From my understanding, people could buy 1 gift copy of the full season when the glitch was going on and people couldn't buy it for themselves. It was fixed after that though so I don't think people can buy multiple copies of it, but hopefully I am wrong.

To anyone playing Eador (any). For the first playthrough, after the tutorial, it is better if your first hero is a warrior. Try to win some battles SOLO, so you can level your hero faster (you don't have to distribute your XP). Build and reach the summon spells fast (Imps, nice and helpful unit!) and also buildings to buy better armor and weapons. Try to win all the "first ring" (buildings right next to the castle) provinces that way.

My best guess is that it's Xi3's Piston, which could be used for a lot more than just Steam gaming. Valve paid them to design a console, after all, and all of Xi3's products are designed the same.
I assume you mean 'like' the Piston? Because it was cleared up long ago that the Piston was not a/the Steambox.

I assume you mean 'like' the Piston? Because it was cleared up long ago that the Piston was not a/the Steambox.
As I stated, their shell designs are all the same with the exception of the Z3RO, which is the size of a paperback and is presumably too small for console gamers to drop ~$500 on. The only external difference is the logo, which could easily say Valve or Steambox.

Why haven't any of you told me about Depressurizer? If you did, thank you and I'm sorry for not listening. No one has mentioned it in this iteration of the Steam thread so I'll bring it up.

Depressurizer lets you more quickly and efficiently categorize your Steam library. It'll even automatically categorize them based on genres listed in the store

link
I read your post and downloaded this. I was able to categorize my 500+ library in the space of a couple of minutes. For something so simple, this is pretty epic. Great find, man!

Just played State of Decay and man is it great!  This is exactly the type of game I've been looking for and everything that DayZ and WarZ were not.  It is not without its glitches.  Graphics could be better and characters pop up through walls.  Combat could be a little better as it is a little MMOish.  Those are really minor complaints though.  It's basically a zombie survival game with a purpose and a story.  You have missions, you interact with NPCs.  You level up and grow your players influence, etc.  I'm only an hour in so I can't really speak to how good the story ends up being, but it has potential if the story ends up good to be even sort of what TWD game wasn't, meaning it has potential to balance story and action nicely.  I'll keep updating my thoughts as I progress, but so far very happy.  Have The Last of Us queued up on the PS3 this weekend too though so that might have the potential to spoil SoD...lol

Just played State of Decay and man is it great! This is exactly the type of game I've been looking for and everything that DayZ and WarZ were not. It is not without its glitches. Graphics could be better and characters pop up through walls. Combat could be a little better as it is a little MMOish. Those are really minor complaints though. It's basically a zombie survival game with a purpose and a story. You have missions, you interact with NPCs. You level up and grow your players influence, etc. I'm only an hour in so I can't really speak to how good the story ends up being, but it has potential if the story ends up good to be even sort of what TWD game wasn't, meaning it has potential to balance story and action nicely. I'll keep updating my thoughts as I progress, but so far very happy. Have The Last of Us queued up on the PS3 this weekend too though so that might have the potential to spoil SoD...lol

I've been loving it on Xbox, so I am excited more people get to try it, and it definitely seems like a game pc gamers are known to support and enjoy... A game with big great ideas with a few little niggles and some small technical issues.

To anyone playing Eador (any). For the first playthrough, after the tutorial, it is better if your first hero is a warrior. Try to win some battles SOLO, so you can level your hero faster (you don't have to distribute your XP). Build and reach the summon spells fast (Imps, nice and helpful unit!) and also buildings to buy better armor and weapons. Try to win all the "first ring" (buildings right next to the castle) provinces that way.
This.

More tips a like this please.

Also, first impressions of State of Decay are very, very good. Do you always start in the same place or is it semi-randomised? My game started in the woods.

This.

More tips a like this please.

Also, first impressions of State of Decay are very, very good. Do you always start in the same place or is it semi-randomised? My game started in the woods.
The first.... hour or so... is pretty much completely set in stone as its meant to be a tutorial, once you get to the first "house" and start going on missions and they let go of your hand is when you can start guiding it in the direction you want to go, but story related things kind of follow the same ish path. but you are kind of free to do or not do as you please... but yeah the woods and camp tent part is the same since its the tutorial. also since its meant to be huge and persistent and at least on the xbox version time passes, albiet much slower than in game, while you arent playing, this isn't the type of game you will be restarting many many times. Maybe a few times once you start getting the mechanics down and realized your first couple hours were far less efficient than they could have been, or you lose too many buddies and want to do better, but otherwise one big long lasting game is the main idea here.

Note: this is all the main story mode, a sandbox mode is incoming for the xbox version and I assume will be on the pc version too at some point, which will be more of a totally open survive as long as you can set up, vs a story about figuring out what happened and stuff. I imagine the sandbox mode will be a lot more randomized as far as events are concerned

Just played State of Decay and man is it great! This is exactly the type of game I've been looking for and everything that DayZ and WarZ were not. It is not without its glitches. Graphics could be better and characters pop up through walls. Combat could be a little better as it is a little MMOish. Those are really minor complaints though. It's basically a zombie survival game with a purpose and a story. You have missions, you interact with NPCs. You level up and grow your players influence, etc. I'm only an hour in so I can't really speak to how good the story ends up being, but it has potential if the story ends up good to be even sort of what TWD game wasn't, meaning it has potential to balance story and action nicely. I'll keep updating my thoughts as I progress, but so far very happy. Have The Last of Us queued up on the PS3 this weekend too though so that might have the potential to spoil SoD...lol
Have you (or anyone else who has tried this) played Fort Zombie and can compare the two? Fort Zombie was very frustrating at times, but I enjoyed it a lot despite all the bugs. If this is similar (and better), I may end up grabbing it.

Thanks

How is this accomplished? And is there anybody out there in a position to pick up the full season @91% off?
1) Add random game to cart

2) Click buy as gift

3) In new tab add non-giftable game to cart

4) Remove game added in step 1

5) Close new tab and continue in old tab

So... RAW: Realms of Ancient War.

What I was expecting: A cheap Gauntlet-clone that's good enough for picking up a few minutes at a time to run mazes and monsters with a controller.

What I got: an incredibly cheap linear game with bloated cut-scenes; characters that are barely distinguishable from backgrounds; glitchy graphics; buggy sounds; slow, jerky movement; very imprecise controls; awful voice-acting; and one of the worst plots I've seen in a videogame. Seriously, I like plot-based RPGs, but if you can't do better than this, you need to stop boring the player, toss the storytelling out the window and just get to the action.  Not that the action was much better.

So... RAW: Realms of Ancient War.

What I was expecting: A cheap Gauntlet-clone that's good enough for picking up a few minutes at a time to run mazes and monsters with a controller.

What I got: an incredibly cheap linear game with bloated cut-scenes; characters that are barely distinguishable from backgrounds; glitchy graphics; buggy sounds; slow, jerky movement; very imprecise controls; awful voice-acting; and one of the worst plots I've seen in a videogame. Seriously, I like plot-based RPGs, but if you can't do better than this, you need to stop boring the player, toss the storytelling out the window and just get to the action. Not that the action was much better.
at least you didnt pay for it individually like i did

Must. Resist. Spending. $20onbetatest.

I haven't paid $20 for just ONE game in yeeeaaaaaaaaaaaars... oh wait, I purchased two copies of Riders of Rohan Legendary Edition expansion when it was 50% off two months ago. Still, that doesn't count!

Grr...

Have you (or anyone else who has tried this) played Fort Zombie and can compare the two? Fort Zombie was very frustrating at times, but I enjoyed it a lot despite all the bugs. If this is similar (and better), I may end up grabbing it.

Thanks
You know, that is probably the closest game type that I have played. I initially hated FZ, but then I read how much you enjoyed it and gave it another try. Second go round I definitely enjoyed it more, but was still frustrated by it at times like you. SoD is very similar so far in the good aspects of it. They are both third person view zombie survival games. SoD as mentioned above is a persistent open world type thing, whereas FZ was more of a scenario based game. The camera angles are both way better in SoD and easily adjustable if using the controller so that was one of the bigger frustrations for me on FZ. Combat is better on SoD and the story is much better in SoD. So basically, yes if you enjoyed FZ, this is just a much much better version of it.

The first.... hour or so... is pretty much completely set in stone as its meant to be a tutorial, once you get to the first "house" and start going on missions and they let go of your hand is when you can start guiding it in the direction you want to go, but story related things kind of follow the same ish path. but you are kind of free to do or not do as you please... but yeah the woods and camp tent part is the same since its the tutorial. also since its meant to be huge and persistent and at least on the xbox version time passes, albiet much slower than in game, while you arent playing, this isn't the type of game you will be restarting many many times. Maybe a few times once you start getting the mechanics down and realized your first couple hours were far less efficient than they could have been, or you lose too many buddies and want to do better, but otherwise one big long lasting game is the main idea here.

Note: this is all the main story mode, a sandbox mode is incoming for the xbox version and I assume will be on the pc version too at some point, which will be more of a totally open survive as long as you can set up, vs a story about figuring out what happened and stuff. I imagine the sandbox mode will be a lot more randomized as far as events are concerned
Any thoughts on Eador? I"ve debated getting it a number of times, but it has a low metacritic score. Given the number of games I have in my backlog, I try to be semi-selective about what games I buy.

Any thoughts on Eador? I"ve debated getting it a number of times, but it has a low metacritic score. Given the number of games I have in my backlog, I try to be semi-selective about what games I buy.

The bad reviews are mostly because it was a bugfest on launch. And because it doesn't improve over Eador Genesis. But it is fully patched now.

I haven't played genesis, and I'm addicted to Masters of the...

After another session of SoD I'm loving it even more.  Also put in about 4 hours into The Last of Us.  Love both games.  Last of Us is amazing and one of the reasons I don't mind having a console, but they scratch different itches.  Last of Us is a great story game with a lot of stealth elements so it is different.  It's also challenging too though a little slower pace.  Graphics are great too.  I'm at my first home base in SoD and there's still a ton to learn and interact with.  Running over zombie hordes in a dodge ram is pretty great.  Hopefully it gets on sale soon so more CAGs can check it out. 

After another session of SoD I'm loving it even more.
I picked this up on 360 and seriously regretted it once I saw that it was coming to PC eventually (although the Xbox One MS store sale softened that blow quite a bit). Does this have the same level of persistence where things happen when you are not actually playing the game?

I picked this up on 360 and seriously regretted it once I saw that it was coming to PC eventually (although the Xbox One MS store sale softened that blow quite a bit). Does this have the same level of persistence where things happen when you are not actually playing the game?
It is supposed to. The first time I stopped it was right before the tutorial ended so I hadn't gotten to my home base. I just did my first home base mission and quit so I will report back to see if things kept happening, but they should have.

Edit:

And the world is persistence and brutal. Got back into the game and one of my characters was out of breath from a mission she was doing while I was gone. I switched to another survivor, proceeded to try to take on a horde by myself and got torn to shreds :(

Game looks like something I'd enjoy but given the fact they're already working on a sequel (with co-op or multiplayer apparently) (I could be wrong about that, can't find any info but it is what I've heard) and there's no incentive to buy in Early Access (no discount or anything) I'll just wait it out until they add more PC optimizations.

Game looks like something I'd enjoy but given the fact they're already working on a sequel (with co-op or multiplayer apparently) (I could be wrong about that, can't find any info but it is what I've heard) and there's no incentive to buy in Early Access (no discount or anything) I'll just wait it out until they add more PC optimizations.
I actually saw Flowette playing and was disappointed I couldn't Join Game. Co-op MP would definitely be a great addition. I also thing they should have had a early access discount like most games do. Especially since they already made money on XBLA. Maybe they will do a halloween sale?

For a change, bought it with a semi-discount(thanks, JakeNome!) based on Cheaplikeafox's review...Installing now and hoping to hit it after the kidlets head to bed!

After another session of SoD I'm loving it even more. Also put in about 4 hours into The Last of Us. Love both games. Last of Us is amazing and one of the reasons I don't mind having a console, but they scratch different itches. Last of Us is a great story game with a lot of stealth elements so it is different. It's also challenging too though a little slower pace. Graphics are great too. I'm at my first home base in SoD and there's still a ton to learn and interact with. Running over zombie hordes in a dodge ram is pretty great. Hopefully it gets on sale soon so more CAGs can check it out.
It's not really ideal for the Steam thread, but I'm curious to hear what you think of TLoU once you've beat it. Personally I still can't understand all the perfect scores. Sure that isn't meant to imply that the game is perfect, but other than the story and graphics there are SO many problems with the gameplay, I don't know how they could be overlooked.

I actually saw Flowette playing and was disappointed I couldn't Join Game. Co-op MP would definitely be a great addition. I also thing they should have had a early access discount like most games do. Especially since they already made money on XBLA. Maybe they will do a halloween sale?
IIRC they have some sort of three game plan, the first being the SoD that is already released, second adding multiplayer and probably improve on the core game, and finally a full blown MMO. Who knows if any of that is still on the table with how big a success the first game was, but that could be what Mooby is thinking of. I can't find the article anymore though unfortunately, so I could be completely off.

After another session of SoD I'm loving it even more. Also put in about 4 hours into The Last of Us. Love both games. Last of Us is amazing and one of the reasons I don't mind having a console, but they scratch different itches. Last of Us is a great story game with a lot of stealth elements so it is different. It's also challenging too though a little slower pace. Graphics are great too. I'm at my first home base in SoD and there's still a ton to learn and interact with. Running over zombie hordes in a dodge ram is pretty great. Hopefully it gets on sale soon so more CAGs can check it out.
Don't get into too big of a habit of just running the zeds over until you build a shop at your house, cars get destroyed after too much damage pretty easily and they don't re spawn if they get damaged beyond repair.

Is it just me or is there a really noticeable difference in Steam trading cards drop rate now? It seems like it is taking one hour per card now. Never noticed the drop rate being so slow until this week and I have restarted computer and Steam multiple times.

Is it just me or is there a really noticeable difference in Steam trading cards drop rate now? It seems like it is taking one hour per card now. Never noticed the drop rate being so slow until this week and I have restarted computer and Steam multiple times.
Agreed. I got FTL in the Humble Bundle, played it for like 2 hours straight a week ago, had 4 cards drop. Today I played Duke Nukem 3D for about 2 hours on and off throughout the day, JUST got a card drop toward the end of that. They probably thought it was too easy for people to get cards and too many people were getting coupons or something so modified the drop rate. In all fairness, it did seem a bit too easy to get cards. You could let your game idle for like an hour and get all the cards by then.

Caved and purchased State of Decay. From the hour I played, it starts slow and confusing. Afterwards it picks up and kinda sucks you in a bit.

Hopefully they add an fov slider down the road. Even for a third-person camera, it seems too close at times.

Caved and purchased State of Decay. From the hour I played, it starts slow and confusing. Afterwards it picks up and kinda sucks you in a bit.

Hopefully they add an fov slider down the road. Even for a third-person camera, it seems too close at times.
Yeah the game kind of just throws you into it without good explanation.

After my first go through I read this: http://www.gamefront.com/state-of-decay-beginners-survival-guide/

It explained everything that you need to know to get going well.

I am starting a new game since the character that got killed was one I really liked.

It's not really ideal for the Steam thread, but I'm curious to hear what you think of TLoU once you've beat it. Personally I still can't understand all the perfect scores. Sure that isn't meant to imply that the game is perfect, but other than the story and graphics there are SO many problems with the gameplay, I don't know how they could be overlooked.

IIRC they have some sort of three game plan, the first being the SoD that is already released, second adding multiplayer and probably improve on the core game, and finally a full blown MMO. Who knows if any of that is still on the table with how big a success the first game was, but that could be what Mooby is thinking of. I can't find the article anymore though unfortunately, so I could be completely off.
I'm not sure I'm going to finish TLoU any time soon since it was a free redbox rental. Might invest another day into it this week and try to just finish it. I'm at the museum mission now so I think it's close to a 1/3rd done. So far I like it, but I find it a bit difficult at times, but I'm not the best at stealth. The enemy behaviors are a little confusing at times too, but I just have a hard time telling them apart and which ones do what. I think I know where your gameplay complaints might come from, but we'll discuss on Steam chat.

Anyone use Music Creator 6 Touch? I've had it on my wishlist. Ages ago, I used to use Midisoft Recording Session to plot notes to create MIDI files, and I've long wanted another program to do something similar. From what I've read, this one does that and much more.

66% is about the best we've seen for software, right? RPG Maker was only discounted to 50% in the winter sale and then hit 66% after that. Or should I hold out for that 75% mark and maybe pick up the package that comes with the extra instruments?

Ug, all of this being squarely on topic feels wrong somehow. (Also, caught up with the thread for the first time in close to a week!)

Ug, all of this being squarely on topic feels wrong somehow. (Also, caught up with the thread for the first time in close to a week!)

Yeah somethings wrong with this post. I don't see any mention of trading cards, backlogs, GTA V PC, indie game key entitlement, 2deep4u, or the PC master race. How am I expected to read this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back