The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone use Music Creator 6 Touch? I've had it on my wishlist. Ages ago, I used to use Midisoft Recording Session to plot notes to create MIDI files, and I've long wanted another program to do something similar. From what I've read, this one does that and much more.

66% is about the best we've seen for software, right? RPG Maker was only discounted to 50% in the winter sale and then hit 66% after that. Or should I hold out for that 75% mark and maybe pick up the package that comes with the extra instruments?

Ug, all of this being squarely on topic feels wrong somehow. (Also, caught up with the thread for the first time in close to a week!)

The reviews for it on Amazon are largely mixed. I would look into it more. Of note, this is the Touch version of the software which from my understanding was geared more towards touchscreens like Windows 8. It has non-touch modes, but not sure how that works.

It is a good price though so I don't know, it has some good reviews.

I've been tempted to get it myself just to play around with it, but I know it'll never replace Reason for me. If you have Linux on a machine, you might want to try Ardour: http://ardour.org/

I was under the impression music creator is a cut down sonar, and sonar is notoriously buggy.  If I was looking for a cheap daw I'd go for Reaper, which has an unlimited fully functional demo period and a very cheap license as long as you make

The reviews for it on Amazon are largely mixed. I would look into it more. Of note, this is the Touch version of the software which from my understanding was geared more towards touchscreens like Windows 8. It has non-touch modes, but not sure how that works.

It is a good price though so I don't know, it has some good reviews.

I've been tempted to get it myself just to play around with it, but I know it'll never replace Reason for me. If you have Linux on a machine, you might want to try Ardour: http://ardour.org/
So am I correct in that these are sort of just music synthesizers of sorts (e.g. you place instruments/notes on a virtual track to arrange a song) and aren't meant for recording actual instruments like guitars and the like? I've been looking for a good program for attempting to record some music, but most of what I've found has either been very expensive or overly complicated, but this actually seems like a happy medium.

Thanks for the feedback. Even if another version came out afterward, I'd probably be content with what I have, and who's even to say that it would make it to Steam (or that it wouldn't auto-upgrade on the other side of the coin)? I'm thinking I'll grab the base, forgoing the added instruments, but I'm going to mull it over until the end of the day.

So am I correct in that these are sort of just music synthesizers of sorts (e.g. you place instruments/notes on a virtual track to arrange a song) and aren't meant for recording actual instruments like guitars and the like? I've been looking for a good program for attempting to record some music, but most of what I've found has either been very expensive or overly complicated, but this actually seems like a happy medium.
Ardour is a full DAW, including recording/mixing/mastering multitrack recordings, similar to Logic. If you're looking for low latency for live performances I'd recommend setting up Planet CCRMA on top of Fedora 18 -- iirc you're a tuxhead.

Thanks for the feedback. Even if another version came out afterward, I'd probably be content with what I have, and who's even to say that it would make it to Steam (or that it wouldn't auto-upgrade on the other side of the coin)? I'm thinking I'll grab the base, forgoing the added instruments, but I'm going to mull it over until the end of the day.
LMMS (FOSS) has a windows port that you might want to check out before spending your hard-fleeced steambux.

Psycle is another option with a heavy sequencer focus.

guys, console gamer here. new to steam. I just bought the humble bundle #10 for limbo and Bastian. I suck with the keyboard, anyone recommend a cheap usb controller for my computer. some of the usb controllers on amazon get awefully scores. should I get a 360 controller for windows or will a ps3 or 360 controller work with some sort of dongle and mod?

Thanks!

guys, console gamer here. new to steam. I just bought the humble bundle #10 for limbo and Bastian. I suck with the keyboard, anyone recommend a cheap usb controller for my computer. some of the usb controllers on amazon get awefully scores. should I get a 360 controller for windows or will a ps3 or 360 controller work with some sort of dongle and mod?
Humble Bundle 10? Go back to the future you!

If you have a wired 360 controller that'll just work. There are also wireless PC dongles to support wireless 360 controllers. IIRC those have been officially out of production for quite some time, but there is a steady suppy of questionable knockoffs.

If you have a DualShock 3 then Better DS3 works great. You'll need to install MotionInJoy first for the driver. MiJ works, but Better DS3 is much friendlier. You can use the DS3 over usb with a mini-USB cable (you probably have one lying around from a digital camera or old phone/MP3 player). Or you can use the DS3 with a $2 bluetooth dongle (like I do).

Otherwise your best options are buying a wired 360 controller or a Logitech F310 or F710.

Thanks!
You will need one of these for any wireless 360 controller you already have. Some of those listed are not official Microsoft ones, so just beware and read the reviews. A wireless controller connected to your PC using a play and charge kit will NOT work! Any official wired 360 controller will also work.

I am not sure how unofficial controllers work, since I don't own any of them, but I assume they will work just like the official ones. I only own official wireless ones with the official wireless reciever.

Not sure how PS3 controllers function on PC. I would highly recommend a 360 controller though, especially since a lot of games ported to PC that have controller support use the Xbox button/trigger icons on-screen instead of just generic Button 1, Joystick 2, etc.

Unofficial 360 controllers reportedly work (makes sense).

Not sure how PS3 controllers function on PC. I would highly recommend a 360 controller though, especially since a lot of games ported to PC that have controller support use the Xbox button/trigger icons on-screen instead of just generic Button 1, Joystick 2, etc.
This is FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt). The game will run with 360 prompts regardless and the layout will be the same. If I taped over your A-B-X-Y labels on your controller I'm sure you'd play just as well.

Better DS3 gives more flexibility because you can easily remap buttons for games that don't support remapping. Also you can turn-off/tune rumble levels.

Unofficial 360 controllers reportedly work (makes sense).

This is FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt). The game will run with 360 prompts regardless and the layout will be the same. If I taped over your A-B-X-Y labels on your controller I'm sure you'd play just as well.

Better DS3 gives more flexibility because you can easily remap buttons for games that don't support remapping. Also you can turn-off/tune rumble levels.
Hold on now, you are missing a pretty decent sized inconvenience if using a ds3 even though the buttons are in the same spot, they are considered different buttons in a lot of games, for example I loaded up a game once, Xbox was mapped perfectly automatically, ds3, left on the d pad was A, r1 is up etc. so you HAVE to adjust the mapping manually for many games with off brand controllers. So for easiness and convenience just go with a wired 360 controller or a wireless one with an official adapter dongle.

Hold on now, you are missing a pretty decent sized inconvenience if using a ds3 even though the buttons are in the same spot, they are considered different buttons in a lot of games, for example I loaded up a game once, Xbox was mapped perfectly automatically, ds3, left on the d pad was A, r1 is up etc. so you HAVE to adjust the mapping manually for many games with off brand controllers. So for easiness and convenience just go with a wired 360 controller or a wireless one with an official adapter dongle.
More FUD. Sounds like you messed up your settings. You do not need to do it for every game, and the buttons are exactly where you'd expect them in the default mapping.

[customspoiler="This might help you"]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONp--MdnE4[/customspoiler]

Thanks!
Well the official wireless controller is probably the best option, unless you can hunt down a wireless model with an official receiver (I'd be wary of third party dongles, they are VERY hit or miss).

As Kitty said you can use a dualshock 3 with motionjoy+betterDS3, though I personally have always been uncomfortable having motionjoy on my PC after having a bunch of problems pop up after installing it (try and make sure to get the offline version if you go this route). Another option for using a DS3 controller is an xInput wrapper someone made, which makes the DS3 natively compatible with windows. Some have had trouble getting it to work right, but I managed it eventually with a little persistance.

As far as third party 360 controllers, the only one I've tried is the Rock Candy controller, which I've been fairly happy with. It's a little stiff at times and feels more like plastic than any of my official controllers, but for $15 at the microsoft store it was well worth it. Granted their OOS now, so you'll have to wait and see if they get more or keep an eye on amazon which has been discounting them every so often to $18-$20.

Well you must be using some weird emulator for the DS3, because betterDS3 has a 360 mode that 1) maps everything the exact same way as a 360 controller onto the DS3 (and more or less tells your computer a 360 controller is plugged in) and 2) allows you to customize the mapping to your liking in an easy to use editor (for example changing the 360 trigger mapping to the L1/R1 buttons from L2/R2).

Daily Deal

RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3: Platinum - $19.99 $3.99 (-80%) [Lowest Historical Price, says Enhanced Steam]

I've half a mind to pick this up finally. I loved RollerCoaster Tycoon [original], though I never managed to get into 2 very much. I know this comes up every time it's on sale, but anyone want to chime in on how it compares to past games?

You will need one of these for any wireless 360 controller you already have. Some of those listed are not official Microsoft ones, so just beware and read the reviews. A wireless controller connected to your PC using a play and charge kit will NOT work! Any official wired 360 controller will also work.

I am not sure how unofficial controllers work, since I don't own any of them, but I assume they will work just like the official ones. I only own official wireless ones with the official wireless reciever.

so since I have an original ms 360 reciever, I can just buy any 360 wireless controller and it will work or do I have to buy the controller for pc specifically?

For the third party 360 controller, I only tried razer, it broke after a year but I think its due to constant travel and I only put those in my baggage.

so since I have an original ms 360 reciever, I can just buy any 360 wireless controller and it will work or do I have to buy the controller for pc specifically?
For the third party 360 controller, I only tried razer, it broke after a year but I think its due to constant travel and I only put those in my baggage.
The wireless 360 controller is exactly the same, regardless what the box and bullet points say. So just find the cheapest one you can find if you are going wireless.... Though how did you end up with a receiver and not a controller? Ha ha.

The problem with the previous xbox controller models is that the D pad sucks (insert random appendage here). The above has a really good one and works well. Its plug in and play. I would buy a usb extender too if you want to hook up the computer to tv and play from couch. Currently have that setup while I waste hours playing rogue legacy.

Very tempted on this super-cheap Rollercoaster Tycoon Platinum deal. I have it in my Amazon account, but it's almost worth the extra $4 not to have to dig around in that mess. 

The controllers branded "for Windows" are the exact same controller that you use on the Xbox, so no issues there. Heck, I purchased one of those newer black ones to use for some multiplayer on my PC and it was never labeled "for Windows" and it worked.

There used to be (or still is) a package that was/is labeled "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows" which was just a regular Xbox 360 controller PLUS the wireless receiver all packaged together (this is what I bought, when they first came out).

Overall, I can use both of my controllers that I use for my PC and take them with me to my cousins/friends house and sync them to their Xbox and play just fine (and vice-versa)

They still sell the 360 ontroller for Windows with receiver, I just bought one about a month ago at best buy. I think they stopped selling the receiver by itself.

Thanks!
You can get a wireless 360 controller and the wireless dongle for the PC for around $30-35 on sale, or use a wired controller.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWKQ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109243

Thanks!
You can make pretty much anything to work w/programs like Joy2Key, there's another pretty good one, I can't remember what it's called at the moment. IMHO, though, you're best off just get getting a wired Xbox controller for the PC. It's just the easiest way to go, and considering you can get games so cheap on PC, throwing down 35 or 40 bucks for one isn't really a big deal.

Edit: Also, you'll get used to the keyboard. Having being a console gamer for a long time before I got a PC, it was weird for me at first, as well. I use the controller pretty much whenever I can, I just think it's more comfortable to have all the buttons sitting easily in your hand than using KB + M, but using the keyboard doesn't bother me anymore, either.

Daily Deal

RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3: Platinum - $19.99 $3.99 (-80%) [Lowest Historical Price, says Enhanced Steam]

I've half a mind to pick this up finally. I loved RollerCoaster Tycoon [original], though I never managed to get into 2 very much. I know this comes up every time it's on sale, but anyone want to chime in on how it compares to past games?
it cheaper than during steam summer sale and better grapphics that all i know heh

I use both an Afterglow 360 controller and a Rock Candy 360 controller made by PDP. They are consistently reviewed as the best 3rd party 360 controller out there. I got my green Rock Candy controller on Amazon for $18 recently but I think some other colors might be $15 at the Microsoft Store online.

LMMS (FOSS) has a windows port that you might want to check out before spending your hard-fleeced steambux.  
Psycle is another option with a heavy sequencer focus.
Thanks, Skitty. Looking at both of these, I'm not seeing that either gives an input/display method as actual notes on a staff which I what I'm used to using. Still, it might be worth playing around with one just to see if I like it.

Thanks to Fox and others I dug in and bought State of Decay. Downloading now and maybe I'll start it later tonight. It just seems like the prefect game right now, something that will definitely scratch that itch. Really looking forward to it. (Also a big thanks to JakeNome for making the jump easier).

And speaking of The Last of Us, I really need to back into it. I started playing a month ago but too much stuff came up and it got buried. I'll probably do a fresh start next weekend. Sometimes it's difficult to get back to console gaming, but there are certain exclusive titles that definitely make it worth it. TLoU is one of them.

Question: Do you have to have the first three episodes of Cognition in order to get the 91% discount on Season One? I only ask because I have Episodes 1 & 2 and Steam is giving me only a 75% discount @ $7.49 until the 26th. Enticing but not necessarily that enticing to get the complete season right now.

Question: Do you have to have the first three episodes of Cognition in order to get the 91% discount on Season One? I only ask because I have Episodes 1 & 2 and Steam is giving me only a 75% discount @ $7.49 until the 26th. Enticing but not necessarily that enticing to get the complete season right now.
Yes

action337-golden-shower.jpg
http://www.indieroyale.com/bundle/key/I52368D128AC0C

V5JGF-NZ4JV-Q3DJ2 - Mark of the Ninja

Refresh this page in 15 minutes to see an error code. Then come back here and hope someone saw the Valve announcement and can relay the information.

SteamOS

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the
environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.
SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

Important bit:

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back