The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
HELL YES @ FREE Weekend of Dead Island: Riptide!!! :D

I'll be playing, for sure!

EDIT:

I loved Dead Island (Original).

I just wish it had better story-telling & characters. I really wish would've been better at that stuff, like the original "Backwards" trailer was looking like it was implying.

Of course, it only did decent story-telling and character development, once and a full moon.

But, even w/ DI turning out to be an inverted Borderlands game (an ARPG w/ melee weapons & zombie focus) - I had a blast w/ that game and I know it's my favorite zombie game.
no buy it bad boy hh jjk but i already have it like from site not gonna say wish i use that for bi instead of dir when i can get it cheaper again

Haha, according to Steam I've played DI for 51 hours. Nice! *virtual high-five*
tumblr_mrc7w8qKBN1sppmago1_400.gif

Of course, it only did decent story-telling and character development, once and a full moon.
If it did any character development I must have missed it.

This might be a bit tougher than you think.

The developer decided hey, new game. So everyone's achievements got wiped. That's not all, some of the achievements are now tied to specific DLC that you need to buy.

Unless the dev restores everyone's achievements somehow, I don't expect them to stay relevant since they pissed off a majority of their userbase.

Seems like all achievements are tied to DLC included in 2014 version, so if you want earn any achievements you must rebuy. (or buy the DLC)

The other problem is that you can't rebuy the game, currently.

Unlike previous versions, Steam doesn't show Train Simulator 2014 as a bundle of the base game+routes+locos; it's just Train Simulator 2014. Which means that, as part of the upgrade process, owners of Train Sim '13 cannot buy (or activate a gift code of) Train Sim '14. To get the same base content, previous owners have to buy all of that as separate DLC packages, which are much more expensive and very rarely see the huge discounts the base game gets every year (usually during the Summer Sale).

The developers are working with Valve for a solution to this issue, but I'm really surprised that they launched without a real upgrade option.
Well I was originally referring to the badges that you get by crafting cards. So I should still be able to do that if the cards hit my target price. But I was unaware of all the drama with the new update. Seems like a total Clusterfuck the way they've handled it.

I don't understand why they would do it this way. Are they trying to force people to re-buy the game? If so, why bother with the free upgrade?

I'm not much of an Achievement whore, myself. I occasionally try for them, but most times, I can take them or leave them. So I guess this doesn't affect me too much. But it doesn't seem like they thought this all through.

[SIZE=12pt]Anyway, thanks for clueing me in guys.[/SIZE]

Just remember that TSW takes up like 40 gb :rofl:

If anyone has a Escape Goat steam key, pm me :bouncy:
37.4 GB currently. I would actually rebuy a Steam version, if it came with a month of sub for $15. I would rebuy it regardless at $10. I'm weird that way.

Is the secret world good? I've long been interested because it looks like a very interesting environment/world, especially when compared w/the vast majority of other MMO's.

I don't know why they even tried not to give Steam keys. There's enough precedent to know there would be an internet shitstorm.
"Internet shitstorms" start about practically everything nowadays. It's just a bit silly to just expect keys, unless they were promised. I hate to throw around the often inappropriately-used word "entitlement", but I think it actually applies in cases like this (again, unless they were promised. It's not like I've been following what they said).

Is the secret world good? I've long been interested because it looks like a very interesting environment/world, especially when compared w/the vast majority of other MMO's.

Fantastic information. Thanks a lot. I think I'm gonna pick it up, but may wait until next time it's on sale.
Umm, dude...read my Sig. If you're that curious, I will send you a 72 hour guess pass so you can check it out. just send me your email (the guess pass is sent through FunCom's website). It's enough for you to get hooked by the story (and presentation) and see what Kingsmouth (first area) has to offer.

"Internet shitstorms" start about practically everything nowadays. It's just a bit silly to just expect keys, unless they were promised. I hate to throw around the often inappropriately-used word "entitlement", but I think it actually applies in cases like this (again, unless they were promised. It's not like I've been following what they said).
I don't see it as entitlement, but trusting people to keep their word when they promise something. ;)

They never said they would give Steam keys.

But at the same time they promoted the hell outta their Greenlight campaigns by selling the games through bundles, making sure that the Greenlight links were perfectly visible.

If they never intended to give Steam keys then they should've said so from the start, instead of riding on the Greenlight bandwagon, where nearly every other developer promises Steam keys for people who bought the games while they were in bundles. Nyu Media and Boss Baddie said they wouldn't give Steam keys for their bundled games (Croixleur and Lunnye Devitsy / Wake, respectively) but eventually relented after a fairly strong backlash. Pretty much every other indie dev has said they're cool with giving Steam keys to supporters. And, it's not like it costs them anything... Steam gives FREE KEYS to people who have Greenlight games.

If my game is accepted through Steam Greenlight, can I give my previous customers keys for the Steam version?
Once your game is accepted for distribution on Steam, we will give you as many keys for your game as you want at no cost.
Seriously, it's not costing them a single penny. And it's not like they're giving away hundreds of thousands of keys - I doubt their bundled Greenlight games have sold more than 25,000 copies each (not counting sales generated elsewhere.) Rockin' Android lost a lot of potential customers because of this. Many people will think twice about buying their bundled Greenlight games in the future... myself included.

Umm, dude...read my Sig. If you're that curious, I will send you a 72 hour guess pass so you can check it out. just send me your email (the guess pass is sent through FunCom's website). It's enough for you to get hooked by the story (and presentation) and see what Kingsmouth (first area) has to offer.
Thanks for the offer! After reading some other people's opinions on it, I'm sold. I was interested before the game even came out, just base on the premise/setting. I figure it's worth the 15 bucks or whatever. I'm gonna wait probably until black friday/winter sales, maybe Steam will take it down to 10.

i just played about 2 hours of riptide. boy am i glad i didnt buy it.

my character always feels like hes walking through mud. 

at first i thought it was just cuz the boat was swaying and the wind was blowing, but movement was still sluggish even after i got on the island.

also the graphics are terrible. for some reason i thought this game had good graphics because of the screenshots.

inventory organizing feels real sloppy.

i ran into a cag in coop mode. it was ok, nothing special about it. for some reason the audio started echoing in coop mode though. dude said his mic was off, so i dont know whats up with that. 

anyway, uninstalled.

Man, after the update, it is nearly impossible to read CAG in Chrome. Anyone else having that problem? The first few posts are obscured by navigation stuff listed vertically on top of the rest.

I wanted to chime in with my thoughts on the family sharing stuff discussed yesterday. Everyone keeps discussing decisions Valve made regarding the family share program, but no one seems to have considered that Valve owns a small fraction of the content that they serve. Why should we assume that Valve has the contractual right to allow account holders to share other publishers' content on an individual basis? It seems to me that if they wanted to do that, Valve would have to seek permission from every individual copyright holder.

And for those who argue that you're capable of lending a book as the owner of said book and that the same should apply to individual Steam games, its all right there in the ToS to which you agreed when making a purchase.

Now, this is only the first step in legitimate account sharing. What I would expect to see next are for specific games to allow individualized lending, perhaps starting with the next big Valve game (so nothing with the number 3 on it) and then whatever other big names they can talk into coming on board. Perhaps specify a time frame such as one week, and have the system generate a coupon for the receiving account at the end of the lending period. I just figure that Valve can turn this into a successful form of promotion once the initial system has had the bugs hammered out.

There's a promotion running on the Curse mod site for The Secret World -ends Sept. 30- if you anyone would like to try before buying. Just log into your Curse account and you can get a key here.

Key includes a free trial and a Curse hoodie in-game OR you can just use the key for the Curse hoodie on an existing account.

37.4 GB currently. I would actually rebuy a Steam version, if it came with a month of sub for $15. I would rebuy it regardless at $10. I'm weird that way.
We all know the real reason you want it on Steam is because it has cardz ;)

Oh man, if anything could bring Idiotekque out of the woodwork, it's TSW talk. Looks like you already got your answer, but I just have to laugh every time this is brought up and elicits an essay from at least a few of the regulars on its quality :rofl:

i just played about 2 hours of riptide. boy am i glad i didnt buy it.

my character always feels like hes walking through mud.

at first i thought it was just cuz the boat was swaying and the wind was blowing, but movement was still sluggish even after i got on the island.

also the graphics are terrible. for some reason i thought this game had good graphics because of the screenshots.

inventory organizing feels real sloppy.

i ran into a cag in coop mode. it was ok, nothing special about it. for some reason the audio started echoing in coop mode though. dude said his mic was off, so i dont know whats up with that.

anyway, uninstalled.
I played about 45 minutes earlier and have the same complaint about movement. I also thought it was because of being on a boat, but that was as far as I got so I didn't get to see how it felt on land, but it sounds like just something weird with the game. I thought the graphics were ok at times, though I fell through the environment within the first area which doesn't bode well for the rest of the game. I will probably play an hour or so more just to see if anything changes, but so far I'm with you in thinking it's not very good :whistle2:(

No, I actually meant the CAG site update that re-added wiki posts. Is no one else getting garbled pages now in Chrome?
Doesn't affect my window, although I admit it's annoying when you slightly scroll over them and have to wait for them to disappear. Update your browser/install the dev version? It's on a javascript timer if you happen to have that element turned off.

I played 2 hours of Riptide, I know what you mean about movement being really sluggish. Everything else felt like I was playing Dead Island 1 so I didn't have complaints. The graphics are acceptable. I may buy it at 7.50, undecided.

And for those who argue that you're capable of lending a book as the owner of said book and that the same should apply to individual Steam games, its all right there in the ToS to which you agreed when making a purchase.
That still doesn't mean it's not a shitty way to handle digital content. And it's a luxury that these companies have with digital content that has never existed before...and in a way, it's an abuse of power. Basically, to support these kinds of limitations (regardless of who they're coming from...I don't care if it's Valve, Microsoft, whatever) you would have to be suggesting that people lending games/books/movies in their physical form to friends and family in the past was "wrong". That just seems silly.

And as many people have pointed out, the distinction needs to be made whether this is actually intended for FAMILY or "family". If Valve is already anticipating an abuse of the system by having groups of 10 friends living all over the country sharing a library (which is what people planned on doing on the Xbox One as well), then yes, the limits are totally justified.

But then let's not beat around the bush and call this "Family Sharing". What I want is legitimate FAMILY sharing...within one household. I want a library of games that myself, my wife, and maybe even my daughter (several years down the road) can access and play within our own home at any time, regardless of what another one of us may be doing. And I don't think that's unreasonable. Like I said, that has always been possible with physical media. This idea that it needs to change or is somehow costly to publishers is stupid. I'm not buying 3 copies of a game, so each person in my house can play it separately. There is no lost revenue there.

But if they want to push it as "family sharing" *wink, wink* then of course these measures are necessary. It's just stupid for both consumers and Valve to dick around like nobody knows what's actually going on.

Thank you for using "entitlement" with a pinch of hesitation.

I think an important part of pushing everyone into the digital future is that if you can't have a disc and you can't have these physical things you should have the flexibility to deal with your license to own a game on as many platforms as possible. Yeah, it's true they have no obligation to give Steam keys, but as far as I know the process of asking for those keys is free and fairly easy, so there's very little excuse not to give their customers that option.

I really don't know why they didn't want to do it in the first place, unless I'm horribly misled in how straightforward it is to order up keys from Steam.

When was the last time you lent a book and got it back?

I just consider lent books a lost cause.

Sam Trochio has my copy of Ubik, among a handful of books I don't remember.

This motherfucker Marcus has my copy of Cat's Cradle, which I lent to him AFTER his friend Brian fucked an eggplant in my kitchen.

Lending books is rough, man.

I dunno.

It's hard out there.

The only reason that I can see devs not wanting to give Steam keys to past buyers is that they hope they can somehow get them to rebuy it on Steam, but honestly I can't see anyone actually doing this. Most would probably just get mad and not buy or vote for the developer in the future, so I think it's a worthless attempt to generate some more sales, but a great way for them to gather a lot of ill will.

The only reason that I can see devs not wanting to give Steam keys to past buyers is that they hope they can somehow get them to rebuy it on Steam, but honestly I can't see anyone actually doing this. Most would probably just get mad and not buy or vote for the developer in the future, so I think it's a worthless attempt to generate some more sales, but a great way for them to gather a lot of ill will.
Exactly.

Someone at Rockin Android's managements probably read a book written by an EA exec and thought it was a good idea. XD

There's a promotion running on the Curse mod site for The Secret World -ends Sept. 30- if you anyone would like to try before buying. Just log into your Curse account and you can get a key here.

Key includes a free trial and a Curse hoodie in-game OR you can just use the key for the Curse hoodie on an existing account.
Thanks for the info.

But then let's not beat around the bush and call this "Family Sharing". What I want is legitimate FAMILY sharing...within one household. I want a library of games that myself, my wife, and maybe even my daughter (several years down the road) can access and play within our own home at any time, regardless of what another one of us may be doing. And I don't think that's unreasonable. Like I said, that has always been possible with physical media. This idea that it needs to change or is somehow costly to publishers is stupid. I'm not buying 3 copies of a game, so each person in my house can play it separately. There is no lost revenue there.
For multiplayer games, I have bought multiple copies. Well, just Ticket to Ride, so multiplayer game would be more accurate. Otherwise, yes, I want games to be playable on a secondary account generally used on my HTPC, and I'd like those games to be playable by my wife or kid even if I'm playing some other game on my main gaming PC.

So, it looks like Septerra Core got added to steam.  I wonder if all of us Be Mine 5 purchasers are going to get keys.

The internet is a shitstorm full of shitheads who should all eat shit.

Good looks for the highlighted part *****

I should, but I won't.
The MysterD of Chessboxin'

Thank you for using "entitlement" with a pinch of hesitation.
When was the last time you lent a book and got it back?

I just consider lent books a lost cause.

Sam Trochio has my copy of Ubik, among a handful of books I don't remember.

This motherfucker Marcus has my copy of Cat's Cradle, which I lent to him AFTER his friend Brian fucked an eggplant in my kitchen.

Lending books is rough, man.

I dunno.

It's hard out there.
yeah

Dysfunctional Systems Steam keys are available if you got it from Groupees.

You have to link your Desura account to their store to get it. Instructions can be found here:

http://www.desura.com/games/dysfunctional-systems-learning-to-manage-chaos/news/dischan-desura-integration

When you're done with that, click here:

https://dischan.org/store/steam.php?generateKey=y&productID=8
Awesome; thanks for that. On the generate key page, there's a "redeem in steam client" link (which would be a godsend for bundles)—anybody actually get that to work, as in, it got the Product Activation window to open?

"Considering October is coming up, I do wonder if Steam will have some kind of Halloween themed weekly or weekend sale. As there isn't a shortage of apocalyptic, zombie, mutant, thriller type games on Steam. Although, a drop from 66% off to 75% off might be assuming too much from Deep Silver."

I think Steam usually does something Halloween-themed, but it just gets people whining about the Winter sale.

edit: damn you, multiquote

That still doesn't mean it's not a shitty way to handle digital content. And it's a luxury that these companies have with digital content that has never existed before...and in a way, it's an abuse of power. Basically, to support these kinds of limitations (regardless of who they're coming from...I don't care if it's Valve, Microsoft, whatever) you would have to be suggesting that people lending games/books/movies in their physical form to friends and family in the past was "wrong". That just seems silly.
That wasn't "wrong", but it's also not fair to compare it to digital content. I wasn't able to lend my friend in Japan Tokyo on the other end of the world a copy of my book or game without spending a ton of money and a lot of time waiting for the game to be sent there and sent back.

The physicality severely limited what was possible then.

A digital lending/used games market is a whole other beast. Suddenly I can share content with every single person in the world in the blink of an eye. Not only that but if you mean to buy or sell, instead of being limited to a tiny local market, you're suddenly capable of having a 100% transparent market, a trading website that could contain every single copy in the world available for sale. All cheaper than the store bought product, and 100% the same as the store bought product.

It doesn't make sense. In an environment like that, as long as there's even a single copy for sale second hand, there's no point getting it from the store. It completely destroys the business models as they exist right now.

I remember hearing about that somewhere (thought it was on greenlight, but it doesn't look to be). The idea sounded interesting and I think it would be cool playing it with friends, but I'm not one for horror games so not exactly something I'd go for.

I don't think anyone familiar with you would need any kind of disambiguation. All of us have you pegged.

It depends how quickly you play the game and if you play with other people. Playing by myself, I played a total of 9 hours. I was able to beat the game, do all the side quests, and mop up a few other achievements. I think playing with other people would make that time even lower depending on how focused you are on beating the game.
I'm not trying to start something, but I have a really, REALLY hard time believing this number. I think it took me 35 hours co-op but sure, lots of screwing around. The speedruns on howlongtobeat are over 10 hours long, so how the hell did you pull that off?

My spam filter missed this e-mail that claims The Academy DLC for Tropico 4 is "new" despite being 8 days old.

fuck CAG 3.0 - who's responsible for this trainwreck?

t4_academy_header.png

So my current Extra Life contest to have donors win one of 12 signed Red Orchestra 2 copies is getting closer to the finish line and there are still a ton of unclaimed copies for either entry method ($1-$10 raffle donation for 6 copies and then the other 6 copies will go to the top 6 donors) [end date is September 30th, 2013 at 10 PM EST].  This prize will go great for any game collections and Tripwire Interactive is awesome, so check them out if you haven't previously! If you have any questions about the charity or contest, please put them in the thread linked at the bottom of this point or private message me.  Thanks for reading, folks!

What is Extra Life?

- It's a charity event where gamers all around the world pledge to complete a 24-hour gaming marathon. All the proceeds from donations go to hospitals that are part of the Children's Miracle Network. Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals funds are often used to purchase equipment and pay for uncompensated care, all in support of our mission to save and improve the lives of as many children as possible.

- Each participant gets to choose the hospital of their choice. Mine, for example, was Children's Hospital of Atlanta, GA for several years.  

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/319809-donate-to-extra-life-win-one-of-12-signed-red-orchestra-2-copies/

I'm not trying to start something, but I have a really, REALLY hard time believing this number. I think it took me 35 hours co-op but sure, lots of screwing around. The speedruns on howlongtobeat are over 10 hours long, so how the hell did you pull that off?
You're talking about Riptide right? I think the first game was longer. I got the number from Raptr, so maybe they messed up. Rented it from Redbox so I had to rush to finish it. I might have missed a side quest or two because the achievement for doing them all did not unlock (even though I did all the quests listed in the achievement guide).

EDIT: I'm an idiot, mixed up number achievements with how long it took me to beat it. Took me 17 hours to get 9 achievements according to Raptr. That number is wrong because I actually have 22 achievements unlocked in it and I don't think I played for 17 hours straight (Maybe I did). Their site is wonky.

So, it looks like Septerra Core got added to steam. I wonder if all of us Be Mine 5 purchasers are going to get keys.
Probably not. No one expected the game on Steam, myself included, and this is a Topware game. It wasn't on Greenlight so they don't get free keys.

Awesome; thanks for that. On the generate key page, there's a "redeem in steam client" link (which would be a godsend for bundles)—anybody actually get that to work, as in, it got the Product Activation window to open?
It didn't work for me either, it just opened a new window in Firefox.

Final announcement: Steam Controller

I believe that this is a mistake. Maybe it'll be good, but it's going to be the controller I use only for games that don't work well with my 360 pad unless I use one and am completely and utterly surprised.

SteamController.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back