The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Over 9,000 cores.  Best just to look at the spec tiers as opposed to focusing on the core requirements.  In the next month or so I'll be getting an i5-4670 with a 760 GPU.  I'm sure that will be fine on reasonable settings.  Not about to spend $2,000+ to overshoot requirements that will more likely than not turn out to be exaggerated.

Who needs cores when you have your IMAGINATION?

Spongebob-Rainbow-Of-Imagination-Reaction-Gif.gif

My rig = "example 2" on the Recommended specs. Time to upgrade!

If you need some extra funds I suggest that you rapidly bang your head (on some AC/DC-type shit) and see if any coins come loose.

If you're lucky they might even be chocolate.

Quick noob question as steam is vague on the issue:

If I buy the Bittrip Runner Franchise pack and already have a copy of Bittrip.Runner, will I get an extra giftable copy or not?

Already have Runner2 from PS+, but might buy it again to support the Devs, as I really like the title.

damn, check out the requirements for watch dogs

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689385

Brutal.

Welp, I'll have to start enjoying this medium on medium. 8-[

What if I don't own either an oculus rift nor a holodeck?

You'll have to settle for octopus tits and a hollow dick.

Over 9,000 cores. Best just to look at the spec tiers as opposed to focusing on the core requirements. In the next month or so I'll be getting an i5-4670 with a 760 GPU. I'm sure that will be fine on reasonable settings. Not about to spend $2,000+ to overshoot requirements that will more likely than not turn out to be exaggerated.

Congrats to your PC-that-was-antiquated-5-years-ago havin' azz. :applause:

We can't all have i7 Quad Core 4.5ghz processors like you, dawg~

I'm not close to that. Who you think I am, MysterD?

But hey, 4 is bigger than 3 and fuck i when you have P. P is higher in the alphabet.

jk lmno

(that n is nuts)

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-980X-Extreme-Edition-Processor/dp/B003922WES/

This review is priceless:

I use this CPU primarily for gaming, (Far Cry 1 & 2, Half Life 2 & episode 2, & Crysis just to name a few), occasionally I do Photoshop CS5, and a little video editing (home/family videos). I couldn't be more pleased. I've overclocked it to 4.4 with temps around 150 - 175 deg. I've changed the multiplier back to the default, Auto, because I couldn't really tell enough of an increase to justify the temperature. I'm quite pleased at 3.47 at 70 - 86 deg. I would definitely recommend this CPU. The only con I can think of is the price, but hey, you get what you pay for, and this CPU if worth every penny.

My System Specs:

CPU i7-990X
Zalman CNPS9900LED CPU Cooler
24GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3
Asus P6X58D-E Mobo
GTX 590, This Card
240GB Sata III Kingston HyperX SSD
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Tower w/Lian Li Metal Casters
$3,000+ gaming rig to run Half Life 2.

How do you guys think a Steambox is going to deal with games like this?  Is this going to be like the Android Market where I try to buy a game only to be told my Steambox isn't compatible with it?  

How do you guys think a Steambox is going to deal with games like this? Is this going to be like the Android Market where I try to buy a game only to be told my Steambox isn't compatible with it?
I think SteamMachines are upgradable.

Probably more upgradable than an EMachines.

Can I hack this box? Run another OS? Change the hardware? Install my own software? Use it to build a robot?
Sure.

I think SteamMachines are upgradable.

Probably more upgradable than an EMachines.
That's great and all, but if I buy something that tells me it plays games on a certain platform, I'd expect it to do what it says. Imagine buying a PS4 but being told you had to upgrade it to play certain games. Or a DVD player but being told it wasn't compatible with all DVDs.

That's great and all, but if I buy something that tells me it plays games on a certain platform, I'd expect it to do what it says. Imagine buying a PS4 but being told you had to upgrade it to play certain games. Or a DVD player but being told it wasn't compatible with all DVDs.
Let's put it like this - SteamMachine is basically putting a "PC w/ a few standards" in your living room.

You might as well just go ahead and build your own PC; or get a nerd-friend to build you one.

I get the feeling SteamBoxxxx is mostly designed to attract console gamers over to PC (no assembly required, living room/big picture mode, controllers, etc.) whereas a PC gamer would prefer to configure their own system.  The hardware isn't of much interest to me so much as the OS being developed into a viable alternative to Windows.

I get the feeling SteamBoxxxx is mostly designed to attract console gamers over to PC (no assembly required, living room/big picture mode, controllers, etc.) whereas a PC gamer would prefer to configure their own system. The hardware isn't of much interest to me so much as the OS being developed into a viable alternative to Windows.
SteamOS; and Mantle API or if NVidia has an equivalent API coming - that might help get Watch Dogs PC running better. ;)

EDIT:

SteamMachines sounds like a "PC gaming starter kit" for console gamers.

Quick noob question as steam is vague on the issue:

If I buy the Bittrip Runner Franchise pack and already have a copy of Bittrip.Runner, will I get an extra giftable copy or not?
Pretty much as a rule, any bundles or packs like this on Steam unfortunately *don't* give giftable copies for games that you own already. There are a small handful of exceptions, mostly (or perhaps only) games produced by Valve itself. If a pack supports extra giftables, it will clearly state so in the description - check the Orange Box for an example. I can't recall others offhand, I think there are a couple of other packs like this, but very limited..

hmmm, so with this family sharing you cant share across multiple devices on the same account......

damn, was the one thing I was hoping to do was to leave my pc and laptop both logged in to the same account, oh well

Skip that.

If this keeps happening w/ high game requirements, I might actually finish my backlog.

Or, it might be time for me to get away from the computer & out into the real world. ;)
[customspoiler='Woh, woh, woh, let's not get crazy here']
photo-29209.png
[/customspoiler]

How do you guys think a Steambox is going to deal with games like this? Is this going to be like the Android Market where I try to buy a game only to be told my Steambox isn't compatible with it?
Pretty much. I mean, isn't SteamOS basically the same thing as Android, just another Linux varient that also has specific hardware created to run it. I imagine a lot of sad pandas come Christmas day when they realize their gaming-ignorant relatives bought them the "budget box". I like the idea of SteamMachines a lot, but I think one of the main reasons consoles are so popular is because every game released is guaranteed to work on them, and that's simply not something that Valve can do with SteamMachines.

I get the feeling SteamBoxxxx is mostly designed to attract console gamers over to PC (no assembly required, living room/big picture mode, controllers, etc.) whereas a PC gamer would prefer to configure their own system. The hardware isn't of much interest to me so much as the OS being developed into a viable alternative to Windows.
Pretty much this. I know a lot of people are wary (for whatever reason) of getting into PC gaming, because the mantra seems to carry with it a large requirement of PC hardware knowledge, which is something the average joe isn't going to want to mess with. Consoles are easy and basically fool proof when it comes to setup, and I think the success or failure of SteamMachines is how well Valve can tap into this market by making PC gaming at least appear as simple as console gaming. I don't see any seasoned PC gamer dumping their rids for one though, as once you've crossed the gap it's just easier and cheaper to build your own (and if you're like me, more fun as well).

Pretty much as a rule, any bundles or packs like this on Steam unfortunately *don't* give giftable copies for games that you own already. There are a small handful of exceptions, mostly (or perhaps only) games produced by Valve itself. If a pack supports extra giftables, it will clearly state so in the description - check the Orange Box for an example. I can't recall others offhand, I think there are a couple of other packs like this, but very limited..
Steam Extra Copy FAQ

I might also have to go find a girlfriend; get married; and win the lottery.
Is that ranked from least likely to most likely? And before you say "he needs a gf before he can get married," remember that you can buy those online too.

Ok, too bad. Thanks, mate!

Hmm, not a whole not of fantastic discounts, but I kinda feel like just supporting some of these guys for the heck of it. Anyone have anything to say about:

The Yawhg ($5.00)
YES! I've played this one several times at a friend's house.

It's a fun text-and-stills driven simulation where 2 to 4 players simply decide what to do during each of the six weeks leading to a catastrophic event. Your choices cause stat changes and trigger random events specific to the locations. Those random events and your choices or skill checks for each then start influencing the events at other locations, and locations occasionally become destroyed and forever inaccessible. The joy in it is discovering how everything connects and how you can cause certain outcomes for good or bad.

Once the catastrophe occurs, everyone has a chance to take on a role to either help or hinder in the survival effort. You then learn whether you succeeded, and each player gets an epilogue based on their experiences.

It's nearly impossible to get all happy ends, and it's occasionally fun to be "that guy" and just see how much mischief and destruction you can cause.

Possibly the best part is that all of the game's assets are available for modification. This means you can go in and read the scripts to see how to trigger certain things or where hidden effects can pop up, or you can alter and add your own (and fix the scripting error that repeats a sentence in the lycanthropy bad end) or alter the graphics to add your own characters or, if you're truly ambitious, use the engine to write your own story in another setting.

It's the most fun with four players who learn the causes and effects together, a fun and eerie party game. But it is short, and it only gets shorter once you've read all of the standard events and start going through quickly in search of new results. But for five bucks right now, I give it my approval if you have three friends at hand. I'll buy it now in hope of it making it to Steam some day.

EDIT: The video on the greenlight page http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=148626431 actually does a good job of demonstrating what playing the game is like with a group of friends (once you realize the voices aren't part of the game).

Big Bad Bundle is live, if anyone that cares.. For some reason I thought it'd be $1 for 6 games.. but that's apparently not how it works. It's split into 3 tiers. Much worse than I thought it'd be.

http://bigbadbundle.bundledragon.com/bigbad

$1:

Hamlet + Artbook
Hack, Slash, Loot + OST

$5:

Adventures of Shuggy + OST
Tobe's Vertical Adventure + Artbook

$8:

Cargo Commander
Vessel + Artbook
???? DRM-free puzzle game (unlocks 2nd week)
more like the overpriced shitty rerun bundle

Games that have been bundled, for anyone curious:

Fibrillation (Bundle in a Box Eclectic Delights, Indie Gala Colossus)
McDroid (Indie Royale Debut Bundle, IndieGameStand)
Vox (Adventure Role Playing Groupee, Indie Royale The Prarie Dog Bundle, IndieGameStand)
Zombies. (Groupees Build a Bundle 4, IndieGameStand)

Mousecraft has a PWYW promo currently ($1 minimum). They promised Steam keys if it got greenlit
wow I only have Fibrillation; thought I had Zombies but can't seem to find it on groupees fubared page right now.

hell yeah, a new thread to annoy and post burger pics in ;)

I like those MouseCraft cats -- they seem to do things the way they should be done.

WordTrap Dungeon.
bought mousecraft (gotta expand my rodent genre on Steam)

Sunasun:

Ostrich Burger Sim. Now.

please
I have a feeling it would be worse than Bad Rats, lmao

Have Ostrich Burger Sim

Want 50K paypal to actually make it.

steam key available if greenlit it shall be

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-980X-Extreme-Edition-Processor/dp/B003922WES/

This review is priceless:

$3,000+ gaming rig to run Half Life 2.
it could've been worse, he could've bought it for minesweeper and solitaire. ;)

Let's put it like this - SteamMachine is basically putting a "PC w/ a few standards" in your living room.

You might as well just go ahead and build your own PC; or get a nerd-friend to build you one.
I represent this remark ;)

the original "steam" machine

Sunbeam-Steam-Master-Iron-fb.jpg

TI-99/4A...'nuff said.
abacus ftw

mula-abacus__21167_PE106157_S4.jpg

thanks for the flashbacks ;)

I'm curious, if I sell something, like a emoticon or background on the market for <$0.03, does it actually charge me like Steam indicates?
No, it just won't let you put it up for sale. That's where I envy foreigners with their sub-1c currency units.

I'm curious, if I sell something, like a emoticon or background on the market for <$0.03, does it actually charge me like Steam indicates?
Steam takes its fees out at the time of purchase, so say someone buys something for $0.03 they take their cut and give you whatever's leftover. You're never actually charged anything though, and listing/removal are both completely free.

EDIT: whoosh, completely missed what you were asking, poster above got it right.

No, it just won't let you put it up for sale. That's where I envy foreigners with their sub-1c currency units.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Steam takes its fees out at the time of purchase, so say someone buys something for $0.03 they take their cut and give you whatever's leftover. You're never actually charged anything though, and listing/removal are both completely free.

EDIT: whoosh, completely missed what you were asking, poster above got it right.
Yeah. I just find it annoying that when I go to the market, I have this long list of $0.01 items just sitting there. I'd prefer to just give them away, but not to trashbot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back