The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Not yet.

It was slammed to Holy Hell, though - by many gamers and critics alike.
So were other decent games. But this isn't a case of "The game was hyped as hell but it ended up being a disappointment so let's call it crap." This game really -is- bad. The few reviews I've read agree that this shouldn't have been shipped in this state.

Edit: I'm talking about Ride to Hell, not Aliens. I do not own Aliens CM and have never played it so I have no idea how good or bad it really is.

Just played a bit of it, and the new pac is pretty entertaining. I imagine my memory of the old World games is pretty biased at this point, so I can't really comment on their similarity. But the new Pac has a nightmare inducing grin to him, now, but in a kind of cute/funny sort of way.

Just played a bit of it, and the new pac is pretty entertaining. I imagine my memory of the old World games is pretty biased at this point, so I can't really comment on their similarity. But the new Pac has a nightmare inducing grin to him, now, but in a kind of cute/funny sort of way.
Like these goofy ass pumpkin buckets they sell at Wal-Mart now?

[customspoiler="creepy as shit"]
IMG_9035b.jpg

[/customspoiler]

I don't think it's fair to just say Aliens CM was over-hyped. They pretty much showed off a fake demo that looked and played better than the real game! Not to mention all the shady behind-the-scenes shit; I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Gearbox really did blow the Aliens budget on Borderlands 2.

So were other decent games. But this isn't a case of "The game was hyped as hell but it ended up being a disappointment so let's call it crap." This game really -is- bad. The few reviews I've read agree that this shouldn't have been shipped in this state.

Edit: I'm talking about Ride to Hell, not Aliens. I do not own Aliens CM and have never played it so I have no idea how good or bad it really is.
At no point am I going to argue that you should go out and play Aliens: CM or claim it's a good game.

But it gets bandied about as some sort of legendarily bad thing now, and that just isn't the case.

I've played a lot of horrible games.

Most of them are a fair bit worse than Aliens: CM.

It's buggy, mechanically uninteresting, unintentionally goofy at points, and just plain fucking dull, but to try to pretend it's the worst game of the generation or even of the year for that matter is disingenuous, and doing a serious disservice to all those awful, awful, nearly unplayable low-budget shooters that worked their asses off to be as bad as they can be.

I just feel like hearing people talk about Aliens as though it's the worst game imaginable is like listening to teenagers in the late 00's discussing how incredibly heavy Slipknot is. There's no appreciation for the spectrum of how bad games can really get (or, in this analogy, how heavy a good metal band can actually be).

If the worst game you've ever played is Aliens: CM, you're an incredibly lucky and privileged individual.

At no point am I going to argue that you should go out and play Aliens: CM or claim it's a good game.

But it gets bandied about as some sort of legendarily bad thing now, and that just isn't the case.

It's buggy, mechanically uninteresting, unintentionally goofy at points, and just plain fucking dull, but to try to pretend it's the worst game of the generation or even of the year for that matter is disingenuous, and doing a serious disservice to all those awful, awful, nearly unplayable low-budget shooters that worked their asses off to be as bad as they can be.

I just feel like hearing people talk about Aliens as though it's the worst game imaginable is like listening to teenagers in the late 00's discussing how incredibly heavy Slipknot is. There's no appreciation for the spectrum of how bad games can really get (or, in this analogy, how heavy a good metal band can actually be).

If the worst game you've ever played is Aliens: CM, you're an incredibly lucky and privileged individual.

Step yo' internet-game up, mahfucker. That's the way it works.

Bad Rats is a local example.

- Call of Duty is creatively bankruptCall of Duty is creatively bankruptCall of Duty is creatively bankrupt

- Certain developers are dicks for not doling out free Steam keys in a timely manner. I need those to supplement my income, assholes.

I work at a cubicle manufacturing plant and I have a goddamn family to feed.

Step yo' internet-game up, mahfucker. That's the way it works.

Bad Rats is a local example.

- Call of Duty is creatively bankruptCall of Duty is creatively bankruptCall of Duty is creatively bankrupt

- Certain developers are dicks for not doling out free Steam keys in a timely manner. I need those to supplement my income, assholes.

I work at a cubicle manufacturing plant and I have a goddamn family to feed.
First they came for our reasonable rhetoric concerning video game quality, and I said nothing, because, to be honest, I didn't really care for Bad Rats very much.

1bc43f52-ff39-4094-96a2-8173c1df3b4e_zps0cfa273c.jpg

5d82a6d6-0b3d-4b35-9ca6-2926c7f7a076_zps6172be66.jpg

- There's a "classic" graphics mode

- Ridiculous amount of save slots in Square Enix's cloud service -- cloud saves are off by default

- Sound quality is crazy

- Controls are semi-modernized (no more O for select, and other right-to-left-reading fuckery has been improved)

Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army 2 is coming out later, hope its good. Last game didnt even run good on my laptop

Have you tried Game Booster or anything like that? http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.php#none

Helps old machines. Use the Tweaks tab especially.

Also, set your game's .exe to high priority in task manager. Use Prio to save that setting if you're not running W8.

Okay, how bout a real deal:

EVGA 770 for $325@Microcenter

That is the 4GB version, bitches, at the price of the 2GB.  Goes without saying that it could be a price mistake and orders could get cancelled, but I figure it's worth a shot.  Finally, after four years I have spent more than $100 on a video card.  This should be a nice upgrade from my 7850 1GB, allowing me to play Samantha Swift in super hi-res 3D FPSes.

Definitely a pricing error, same card is $100 more on Amazon.

Edit: Or maybe just a crazy discount.

I'm looking for a good coop game (on sale, of course) to play with a friend without the need of creating a server (we couldn't with KF, had to join a public server). I'm looking at NS2 (but seems complicated), OMD2 and dino Horde. Any thoughts?

Torchlight 2

Yeah, thought about it, but not on sale now. We'll, It's on GG, but only a few hours. By the time I get home, the offer will end.

Also, I don't know, but I didn't found TL1 to be as fun as people said it was. TL2 is better?

Yeah, thought about it, but not on sale now. We'll, It's on GG, but only a few hours. By the time I get home, the offer will end.

Also, I don't know, but I didn't found TL1 to be as fun as people said it was. TL2 is better?

There's a lot of improvement as far as classes, skills, maps, items, bosses, enemies, etc. Whereas TL1 was more of a tech demo, TL2 is actually a full scale take on Diablo by Diablo's original developers. Whether or not you enjoy the gameplay is obviously up to you to decide. Fundamentally, though, it is the same game.

There's a lot of improvement as far as classes, skills, maps, items, bosses, enemies, etc. Whereas TL1 was more of a tech demo, TL2 is actually a full scale take on Diablo by Diablo's original developers. Whether or not you enjoy the gameplay is obviously up to you to decide. Fundamentally, though, it is the same game.

If it has better classes, skills and maps, I'm sold. Now to wait for a proper sale! Thanks!

But between the games I posted, any thoughts?

Dino Horde is poop.  It really is.  I'd go with Orcs Must Die 2 although you'd need to know someone as there isn't any matchmaking.  It's just 2 player/invite-a-friend co-op.  Really fun game, though, and without much of a learning curve.

Dino Horde is poop. It really is.
I see that you too have tasted despair only to be kicked in the balls and thrown off a cliff.

I warn people about that game with my "review" of it, but of course only people on my friends list see it. It's a bad game in a very bad way.

The only reason I don't own Aliens CM is the fact that there hasn't been a "complete pack" available for cheap as of now.

I like bad games. It's kind of my thing. But there's a difference between a game that's bad because it's been unfinished and a game that's bad because the dev didn't care at all.

Ride to Hell reminds me a lot of some of the magazine demos I played back in the late 90s / early 2000s: You can tell there's something there but it just refuses to work right.

I don't usually call things "worst thing ever" seriously, but this... man, this game is horrible because this developer has no idea what quality assurance is. I haven't stumbled upon game breaking glitches -yet- but everything has been so incompetently designed that... ugh.

I want to make game reviews and this just moved up to close to the top of the pile of games I want to talk about. Maybe one day. But I doubt it.

OMD2 blows it out of the water but it's not really the same type of multiplayer experience.

I enjoyed OMD1, but it screamed Coop. Maybe I should grab OMD2

Regarding A:CM, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as it's made out to be.  (I played the game to completion.)  The two major detractors to the game are the misleading preview demo and the large fervent fan base.  If the demo never existed and this wasn't an "Aliens" game, it would be no better or no worse than Generic Shooter A.  Take Inversion for example, largely was criticized for being a Gears clone, but the gameplay was solid enough and was visually adequate.  I can say that A:CM (post patch) is about on equal footing.  I'll actually give the nod to Aliens as it does a decent enough job of setting up familiar locales and getting the sound design pretty much on par with the movies.  My biggest gripes were some of the Alien animations were awkwardly stiff and the AI as a whole (friendly and enemy) were questionable at times.  Is it the game we were all hoping it to be, no way.  Is it as terribad as the internet makes it out to be, IMO, no way.

Definitely a pricing error, same card is $100 more on Amazon.

Edit: Or maybe just a crazy discount.
Microcenter does have some great discounts. At this point they are usually pretty close to newegg and amazon and since theres one down the street I end up going there more often than not

Just bought a laptop (birthday present to myself before a trip) there that was 150$ more on both newegg and amazon, they have a sale on it till the end of the month so it was hard to pass up

I'll throw out a slightly positive review for Orion: dino horde. I played during the last free weekend and enjoyed it enough to think it was worth 3.75. I have only played the co-op horde type mode, I found it to be fun with others killing dinos and protecting the generators. The vehicles are fun to drive, the gun play feels solid to me. You really have to pay attention to the ping though, as with any game, the higher it is the more lag and rubberbanding is present. Teaming up to take down a T-rex or triceratops is always fun. The higher difficulty's are insane and you must have a great team and good communication to survive any of the waves. I think its a fun game and hope to see more patches/content for it, seems like the devs haven't given up on it and added some maps and items since I've owned it.

So the Logitech F310 is $12.99 @ bestbuy.com today with free shipping. From what I've read it's a comparable xInput controller, and Ashes has said a lot of good things about it. I think I will likely grab one since I've been wanting another PC controller and the $15 Rock Candy ones are OOS.
I have two of them (for which I've paid $20 - $25 each) and I can confirm that it's a good x360 pad replacement and $13 is a great price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back