The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='mediamixerj']10 dollars on gogamer after shipping if you plan on getting the current blood bowl dark elves edition.

I think I'm all set from this sale. Plenty of games to play.[/QUOTE]

actually, you can buy the first release of Blood Bowl and just download the Dark Elves add-on for free. But then again, I don't think the first release ever hit retail to be honest (or at least not here in the US)

double post time

Kinda regret buying Killing Floor and Flotilla. Just not having much fun playing with randoms in Killing Floor. And I loved the demo for Flotilla but as soon as I bought it, I've lost all interest in playing it.

Really? Isn't the adventure mode in Flotilla cool?

Yeah, I really want Blood Bowl on Steam though. I think I'm pretty much done with retail games forever unless I really wanna play something that's not on Steam and also not on Impulse.

[quote name='SEH']fuck

GTA IV but no EFLC? So lame. Absolutely nothing I want out of todays repeat deals.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, surprised that some of these up there were part of the bestselling in the whole sale, and was offered again. Was hoping fallout3 would show up during the sale (even though there was a bethesda sale a bit ago).

[quote name='fart_bubble']double post time

Kinda regret buying Killing Floor and Flotilla. Just not having much fun playing with randoms in Killing Floor. And I loved the demo for Flotilla but as soon as I bought it, I've lost all interest in playing it.[/QUOTE]

If its a problem of needing support, and dying in Killing Floor....I found that people are more likely to team up (and support each other) on harder levels, and on normal difficulty (never played easy) people are more likely to go "commando" (not the class, just going it alone) and try and solo for the best score...you may want to see how it goes on hard. Also, part of the problem is the more level 6/gold star people, the more likely they are just there to fool around rather than try and play to win imo. It also helps if you have a headset, as it seems a lot of people just assume people have played the base maps to death. Also, you may want to join servers that don't feature the newer or custom maps, as I generally find them harder to learn/more difficult, and stick with the servers that offer the base maps such as farm, biotics, manor, office, and especially west london (easiest map of the game). The newer map "Icebreaker" is especially difficult. Oh, and as far as classes, sharpshooter is by far the easiest to level with, and be most effective...surprised tripwire hasn't had another balancing patch for the game, especially when some classes are pretty lacking in comparison. If you really want to be say....a demo man, firebug, etc. Make sure you have enough money for the first weapon , and stick with sharpshooter/pistols until you can afford it (and then switch classes between rounds).

Last edited by a moderator:
None of us much care for the repeats on the last day (it's always a let down for me, thinking "Maybe it'll be more deals this time!"), but I suppose the casual folks do. Not everyone follows these sales every day with a rabid passion (because not everyone is as smart--and/or cheapass--as we are).

I'm still thinking about a few.

Bionic Commando Rearmed--really don't care about the new one, just want this one. If it's never on sale again, I'll be sad I didn't buy it.

Blood Bowl--was waiting for a better price, now I'm waiting for the new version. But damn does it look awesome.

Whispered World--$15 is a little spendy for something I know so little about. Maybe the voice acting will make my ears bleed. $10 woulda had me. I'm sure it'll be $10 sometime.

Global Agenda--Free to play, but I'd rather pay less.

Dawn of Discovery: Venice DLC--Won't get to it for a while anyway, and surely it'll be that cheap or cheaper again.

Stalker: Pripyat--Haven't even finished the first one yet, and I'm sure it'll be this price or lower again.

Rocker Knight--Might still bite before the sale ends, but, again, probably this price or less again sometime.

Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble--It's worth the price, but I'll wait for a sale.

Drakensang--This is not a sale item. I'm just mad it's $20 here and like $7 on Amazon. Come on, Steam. $5, please.

Thanks for listening to my jabber this whole sale. :)

The new Bionic Commando is the sequel to Rearmed. It finishes the story (however lamely). While it's not an amazing game, it's pretty and quite fun. The music is good too. The 2-pack for $12 was the way to go. :p

The games I bought over the sale:

Puzzle Kingdoms
Ghostbusters
Serious Sam HD 2-pack
Buccaneer: The Pursuit of Infamy
Flatout
Shatter
The Guild 2 + Pirates of the European Seas
Titan Quest Gold
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Max and the Magic Marker
Day of Defeat Source
Borderlands: Secret Armory of General Knoxx
Bionic Commando Pack
Devil May Cry 4
Sol Survivor
Zuma's Revenge
Bookworm Adventures Volume 2

For others

Trine
Left 4 Dead 2
Introversion Complete Pack
Half Life 1
Flatout
Red Faction Guerilla
Buccaneer: The Pursuit of Infamy
The Guild 2: Pirates of the European Seas
Madballs in Babo Invasion
Beat Hazard
Killing Floor

I probably shoulda bought the 2-pack.... I'll see what happens during the holiday.

Have you tried out Max and the Magic Marker? Curious what you think of it (I didn't buy it tho).

Also, be sure to let me know what you think of The Guild 2. That one I do like a lot but wonder if I'm the only one. :) I've always loved those kind of "simmy" games. In a way, I liked the first Guild better. But I think they're both good games.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Rocker Knight--Might still bite before the sale ends, but, again, probably this price or less again sometime.[/QUOTE]

I'd definitely hold off on this for the time being. $7.50 is cheap, but the game is really short. Pretty sure this will be $5 during their next big sale.

my haul

Beat Hazard
Borderlands (with all 3 DLC)
Cryostasis
EVE Online
Flotilla
GTA IV
Introversion pack (bought it for Uplink, haven't played the others)
Killing Floor
King's Bounty
Shatter
Titan Quest Gold

thinking of grabbing ArmA 2 (couple of friends bugging me to buy it so we can play) or Dirt 2 and a couple cheapo's as I've got $20 left to spend

I'm on da fence for dat devil may cry 3 but dunno if it's worth it. looks good though and dante looks badass as usual, dem aesthetics :hot:! may cosplay as shirtless dante next year

the witcher
alpha prime
altitude
beat hazard
chains
jericho
darwinia
defcon
flotilla
fredom force pack
killing floor
kings bounty legend
lead and gold
winterbottom
overlord overlord 2
overlord raising hell
puzzle kingdoms
rocket knight
the scourge project
serious sam pack
shatter
sol survivor
uplink

$73.78
thats an incredible value for me.

Just picked up Killing Floor and Trine with some friends. Waiting for others to hop in vent to figure out if we want Alien Breed, Sol Survivor, and Booster Trooper.

Are there people online who actually play Booster Trooper or is that one dead?

Unbelievable deals on Steam! My haul...

THQ Pack (20 games)
Civilization IV Pack (4 games)
Tales of Monkey Island Pack (4 games)
Freedom Force Pack (2 games)
Deus Ex Pack (2 games)
Trine
Killing Floor
Torchlight

Give or take $92.00 for 35 games, which is $2.62 per game. You can't beat that!

By the way, Torchlight and Trine have become my new favorite games. I've heard about them in the last few months but didn't care to pick them up. I'm glad I waited and nabbed them both at bargain prices.

I've been wondering about Killing Floor. I love FPS games (Duke 3D, Quake II) especially the Left 4 Deads, you guys think I'll really dig this one? My friend says they got some good mods for it too.

Killing Floor is a fun time killer. It's even better if you've got some buddies to team up with. At $5 it's definitely worth it.

[quote name='AndrewCP']I've been wondering about Killing Floor. I love FPS games (Duke 3D, Quake II) especially the Left 4 Deads, you guys think I'll really dig this one? My friend says they got some good mods for it too.[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend killing floor as well--its pretty fun once you give it a shot...graphically it's nothing special, but killing the waves of zeds is pretty satisfying.

So, thoughts: There was an EA Sale before this sale. There was barely any if any Ubisoft Games as daily deals. Do you think there might be a Ubisoft Sale in a couple of weeks? Should I hold off on BG&E then?

[quote name='RedGamer']So, thoughts: There was an EA Sale before this sale. There was barely any if any Ubisoft Games as daily deals. Do you think there might be a Ubisoft Sale in a couple of weeks? Should I hold off on BG&E then?[/QUOTE]

As for the timing of the sales, none of us can really know. It could be tomorrow, it could be a few weeks, a few months, a year... There has been an Ubisoft week before, so it's likely they'll do something like it again.

[quote name='AndrewCP']I'm on da fence for dat devil may cry 3 but dunno if it's worth it. looks good though and dante looks badass as usual, dem aesthetics :hot:! may cosplay as shirtless dante next year[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I always thought Dante was sort of dressed to find hot dudes rather than look badass. I do not judge him for it, but his look has zero appeal to me.

[quote name='VGmnk']I'd recommend killing floor as well--its pretty fun once you give it a shot...graphically it's nothing special, but killing the waves of zeds is pretty satisfying.[/QUOTE]

That damn game uses non-standard ports for multiplayer so I can't play online from work. Killing Floor & Civ 4 are the only games that've ever given me trouble. Why do some devs do that?

[quote name='SEH']I'd definitely hold off on this for the time being. $7.50 is cheap, but the game is really short. Pretty sure this will be $5 during their next big sale.[/QUOTE]

Thanks dude. I'm gonna follow your advice. Simplifies things for me anyway. :)

Final tally for the sale:

- Shatter $2.50
- Freedom Force Pack $1.80
- Killing Floor - $5
- Trine $4
- Alien Breed: Impact $11.25

Wound up buying more than I thought I would after I initially said I wasn't going to purchase anything.

I can't believe Paypal limited my account for using it abroad, making me to lose the deal on Serious Sam Double Pack.
$20 is still too much for a newly textured version for me.

[quote name='SEH']Final tally for the sale:

- Shatter $2.50
- Freedom Force Pack $1.80
- Killing Floor - $5
- Trine $4
- Alien Breed: Impact $11.25

Wound up buying more than I thought I would after I initially said I wasn't going to purchase anything.[/QUOTE]

Heh, time to get ready for the christmas sale...

Luckily, I already blew my money on most these summer sale games around at christmas & various steam sales, so hopefully this holiday season means I'll have more money too :)

ended up grabbing ArmA 2 instead of Dirt 2 and Lead & Gold. Hopefully I can hunt down some people I know on there. Now if only I can hold off on buying a TrackIR 5 setup.....for a little while at least

Cant believe how long I played Beat Hazard last night after almost deciding not to pick it up all all. Had spots in my eyes for a while as well.

Also, after expanding now to over 100 games on Steam, looking for some CAG friends to play some online and co-op with. Here is my games lists (except for the weird mods and demos that show up.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/QuantamPulse/games?tab=all

Already part of the Steam group, just figured it would be better to ask than start sending random requests.

I didn't get much this time around:

- Gothic Bundle
- Borderlands (4-pack-deal)
- Borderlands expansions (gitft for a friend since I owned him)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to Torchlight :)

[quote name='Spyder187']Is it just me or deos the Steam frontpage just look so damn empty now with all the sale stuff gone?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is kinda sad to not see some funny fact or a boatload of great sales.

Oh well, I'm still glad at what I did purchase. The HL2 games and Star Wars Empire at War Gold.

Right now all I am in the mood for is KOTOR . I was hoping it would have been in the sales but it wasnt meant to be. Not like 10 is a bad price for it anyways.

My main concern is after reading some of the forums on Steam that there seems to be MAJOR issues with KOTOR and Windows 7. Do any of you know about this and how bad is it or has it been fixed?

[quote name='Spyder187']Right now all I am in the mood for is KOTOR . I was hoping it would have been in the sales but it wasnt meant to be. Not like 10 is a bad price for it anyways.

My main concern is after reading some of the forums on Steam that there seems to be MAJOR issues with KOTOR and Windows 7. Do any of you know about this and how bad is it or has it been fixed?[/QUOTE]

I played KOTOR on 7 and it ran fine. I think I played it windowed since my native resolution is 1920 x 1200 and I didn't think they supported it. Last I played it was a few months ago but I do know it ran 100% perfect.

Was about to purchase Just Cause 2, then I realized it was windows vista & 7 only....2nd game I know of so far that doesn't allow XP (the other being shattered horizon)

[quote name='whats_the_word']Got Borderlands but it's annoying alone -__-...
Steam ID: Female_Misfit...also play TF2 & L4D2 :p[/QUOTE]

I agree--at the very least, its much more enjoyable with 3 friends

Been out of town but keeping one eye on deals at all time. Only in for the Borderlands DLC (Sans moxxie, ugh), Thief and Shatter. I forgot how absolutely awesome Borderlands is and how many absolutely terrible design decisions they made. Haven't gotten around to the DLC bits yet though, hacked a save to start on my second playthrough.

Really? I don't mind Borderlands alone. Maybe I haven't played it enough.

KotOR runs fine on Windows 7 for me. It's too bad the KotOR II PC port is so terrible. :( It's actually a really cool game, maybe one of Obsidian's best.

Speaking of Obsidian, why are Neverwinter Knights II and its expansions not on Steam? The first one isn't either (although I think I've played enough of that one, thanks). Aren't they just Atari games?

I'd say I got a pretty good haul including Lead & Gold, Freedom Force Pack, Borderlands DLC, Shatter, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Serious Sam Pack and a few others.

Was really glad the Borderlands DLC went on sale. Now I've got a reason to get back into it! It's alright alone, but it's much better with friends.

Speaking of KOTOR, are there any essential mods? I'm looking into playing it finally, and am curious if there are any.

Count me in as another who'd like to see KOTOR show up as a sale. I guess I missed the last one. I've got the discs somewhere but I'll gladly pay $2.50-$5 to not have to dig them out and deal with the SecuROM.

Huh...I got less than I thought, I guess. Puzzle Kingdoms, Mount & Blade: Warband, Jericho, FlatOut 2 (which is way better than Ultimate Carnage), Sacraboar, Star Wars: Empire at War Gold, Beat Hazard, Defcon, Uplink, Shatter, Flotilla, and The Void. Gifted a bunch of stuff, too. Kinda regretting a bunch of stuff that I didn't get (DiRT, Cryostasis, King's Bounty, et cetera), but, oh well, most of it will probably show up at Christmastime.

I find that regrets when it comes to Steam sales are always about what we should have bought and didn't, never about what we did buy.

So baby spend spend spend.

All I got with the sale was L4D2 and Borderlands with all the DLC. Borderlands has seemed just fine alone for me, but then again I suck at FPS so playing alone is more comfortable for me since I don't want to be the weak leg of whatever online group I'm playing with heh.

Are there any strategy games that are similar to Dawn of War II? I really love the small squad aspect of the game, upgrading gear, and lack of need to build up units.

I like that one, too. Got it in my wishlist. It's totally different from what I think of (and dislike) as "RTS". So I'd be interested in anything else like it.

(Tho I still wish it were turn-based. :)

Alright, as a follow-up to my earlier installments on the subject, it's time for another update on games that are (or at least, are supposed to be) coming to Steam in the future, but that don't yet appear on the Steam storefront in the "coming soon" section. This list is 100% factual, not guesswork.

Today's list is pretty juicy, and has some pretty interesting scoops. We've got some excellent classic PC game re-releases, some multiplatform games that haven't yet been publicly announced for PC at all, some nifty indie games, some obvious stuff (such as Batman: Arkham Asylum 2), as well as some other super-exclusive secret unannounced titles. Check it out:

- Age of Wonders
- Age of Wonders II: The Wizard's Throne
- Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
- Batman: Arkham Asylum 2
- Burn Zombie Burn! (port of the PS3 game; this is not yet publicly announced for PC)
- Commander: Conquest of the Americas (new game from the developers of East India Company)
- DCS: Black Shark (excellent helicopter sim, finally coming to Steam)
- Death Tank (port of the XBLA game; this is not yet publicly announced for PC)
- Disciples III: Renaissance
- Future Wars (pretty nice-looking Advance Wars-type game)
- Greed Corp (hex-based strategy game, also on XBLA and PSN)
- Happy Wars (awesome-sounding Fat Princess-esque game, with support for up to 128 players. Developed by Japanese studio ToyLogic, who was one of the developers involved behind-the-scenes on Smash Bros Brawl)
- Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (this is the HD remake of the excellent DS game, that is also coming to XBLA and PSN; the PC version is not publicly announced yet)
NyxQuest (port of the excellent WiiWare game; this is not yet publicly announced for PC)
- Obsidian Conflict (this is a Source Engine mod that is about to launch via Steam with Steamworks features)
- Power Of Defense
- ProtoGalaxy ()
- Puzzle Quest 2
- Razor2: Hidden Skies ()
- Reign: Conflict of Nations
- Shank
- The Settlers 7: Uncharted Land (oh shit son, did I just namedrop the completely unannounced Settlers 7 expansion that no-one even knows about? hell yeah I did. Google it; it's not even announced yet, much less the name, but you'll see this on the news sites soon enough. Suck it, game journos.)
- Swarm Arena
- System Protocol One ()
- Top Gun (yup, a new game based on the Tom Cruise movie)
- Trainz Simulator 2010
- Turba

And here's some more stuff that's mostly boring:
Chainz (the sequel is already on Steam)
4 Elements (http://www.playrix.com/games/pc/4-elements.html)
Escape from Paradise
Escape from Paradise 2
Equilibria (http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/equilibria.jsp)
FIM Speedway GP3
Trainz: Classic Cabon City
Trainz: Murchison 2
Trainz: Settle and Carlisle
Theatre of War (1C)
Theatre of War 2: Africa 1943
Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943
Rig 'n' Roll
Real Warfare: 1242
Book of Legends (http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/4402/book-of-legends/index.html)
Bookworm Adventures - Fractured Fairytales (http://www.gamehouse.com/download-games/bookworm-adventures-fractured-fairytales)
Power Chips (http://www.gamehouse.com/download-games/power-chips)
High Roller (http://www.gamehouse.com/download-games/high-roller)
Rhythm Zone

Lots of great stuff, this time. I'm really looking forward to Happy Wars, Shank, and NyxQuest (I've already got it on Wii, but it should look awesome in high-res on PC), and most especially, the Age of Wonders games. Age of Wonders is one of my favorite games of all time, and it's been high on my wishlist of games I'd like to see on Steam for a long time. I would be excited for Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, as it looks gorgeous in HD, but I'm guessing it'll be using Ubisoft's bullshit DRM scheme.

Anyways, enjoy the list.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Are there any strategy games that are similar to Dawn of War II? I really love the small squad aspect of the game, upgrading gear, and lack of need to build up units.[/QUOTE]

Company of Heroes and Men Of War are probably the best of the squad based rts games besides DoW 2.

Also, NASA's game, Moonbase Alpha launched today

Alright, as a follow-up to my earlier installments on the subject, it's time for another update on games that are (or at least, are supposed to be) coming to Steam in the near-to-mid future, but that don't yet appear on the Steam storefront in the "coming soon" section, for whatever reason. This list is 100% factual, not guesswork.

Today's list is pretty juicy, and has some pretty interesting scoops. We've got some excellent classic PC game re-releases, some multiplatform games that haven't yet been publicly announced for PC at all, some nifty indie games, some obvious stuff (such as Batman: Arkham Asylum 2), as well as some other super-exclusive secret unannounced titles. I've provided links and/or personal commentary for most of the games. Now, on with the list:

- Age of Wonders (A classic PC game from the late '90s and personal favorite of mine, finally re-released on Steam. VERY excited for this.)
- Age of Wonders II: The Wizard's Throne (see above)
- Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (see above)
- Batman: Arkham Asylum 2
- Burn Zombie Burn! (port of the PS3 game; this is not yet publicly announced for PC)
- Commander: Conquest of the Americas (new game from the developers of East India Company)
- DCS: Black Shark (excellent helicopter sim, finally coming to Steam)
- Death Tank (port of the XBLA game; this is not yet publicly announced for PC)
- Disciples III: Renaissance
- Future Wars (pretty nice-looking Advance Wars-type game)
- Greed Corp (hex-based strategy game, also on XBLA and PSN)
- Happy Wars (awesome-sounding Fat Princess-esque game, with support for up to 128 players. Developed by Japanese studio ToyLogic, which was one of the developers involved behind-the-scenes on Smash Bros Brawl.)
- Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (this is the HD remake of the excellent DS game, that is also coming to XBLA and PSN; the PC version is not publicly announced yet)
- NyxQuest (port of the excellent WiiWare game; this is not yet publicly announced for PC)
- Obsidian Conflict (this is a free Source Engine mod that is about to launch via Steam with Steamworks features)
- Power Of Defense
- ProtoGalaxy
- Puzzle Quest 2
- Razor2: Hidden Skies (dunno about this; there does not appear to be a "Razor1" - EDIT: This now appears in "Coming Soon." It didn't when I wrote this list up earlier this morning)
- Reign: Conflict of Nations
- Shank
- The Settlers 7: Uncharted Land (Oh shit son, did I just namedrop the completely unannounced Settlers 7 expansion that no-one even knows about? Hell yeah I did. Google it; it's not even announced yet, much less the name, but you'll see this on the news sites soon enough. Suck it, game journos.)
- Swarm Arena
- System Protocol One
- Top Gun (yup, a new game based on the Tom Cruise movie)
- Trainz Simulator 2010
- Turba (EDIT: This has gone live now. It hadn't when I wrote this list up earlier this morning)

And here's some more stuff that's mostly boring:
Chainz (the sequel is already on Steam)
4 Elements (http://www.playrix.com/games/pc/4-elements.html)
Escape from Paradise
Escape from Paradise 2
Equilibria (http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/equilibria.jsp)
FIM Speedway GP3
Trainz: Classic Cabon City
Trainz: Murchison 2
Trainz: Settle and Carlisle
Theatre of War (1C)
Theatre of War 2: Africa 1943
Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943
Rig 'n' Roll
Real Warfare: 1242
Book of Legends (http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/4402/book-of-legends/index.html)
Bookworm Adventures - Fractured Fairytales (http://www.gamehouse.com/download-games/bookworm-adventures-fractured-fairytales)
Power Chips (http://www.gamehouse.com/download-games/power-chips)
High Roller (http://www.gamehouse.com/download-games/high-roller)
Rhythm Zone

Lots of great stuff, this time. I'm really looking forward to Happy Wars, Shank, and NyxQuest (I've already got it on Wii, but it should look awesome in high-res on PC), and most especially, the Age of Wonders re-releases. Age of Wonders is one of my favorite games of all time, and it's been high on my wishlist of games I'd like to see on Steam for a long time. I would be excited for Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, as it looks gorgeous in HD, but I'm guessing it'll be using Ubisoft's batshit-insane DRM scheme. Blah.

Anyways, enjoy the list. Long live Steam.

bread's done
Back