The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

Buy Metro 2033 now, or rather if you like Half-Life 2. It's definitely got that heavy atmosphere and science fictiony but all too possible dystopia-ic world (Making up as I go along here)

Great game but the alternate ending thing is stupid as hell.

flat out, if you dug the STALKER games, you'll love the Metro (makes sense as the people behind are from GSC). If you want all the bells and whistles (namely 3D) , yeah, you will need a serious rig but I run it on high with a 5770. Just turn off tessalation as it kills your setup and makes no difference during gameplay. Like most of the FPS from the eastern bloc of Europe, it does have some horrible optimization. And some find the gameplay clunky but I dug it (it plays a lot like the STALKER games). Worth the the $12.50 if nothing more than to show off your e-peen if you have it (looks gorgeous if you do) but it's also a decent game to boot.

[quote name='fart_bubble']flat out, if you dug the STALKER games, you'll love the Metro (makes sense as the people behind are from GSC).[/QUOTE]

Going to disagree, Stalker is kind of do what you want open world, Metro is very linear and straight forward. The settings are comparable but that's about where it ends.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Going to disagree, Stalker is kind of do what you want open world, Metro is very linear and straight forward. The settings are comparable but that's about where it ends.[/QUOTE]

just me not being clear enough. Yes, it's linear unlike Stalker but the actual gameplay is straight up Stalker (not including the addition of the gas mask in Metro).

I picked up Chaos Rising from THQ which means after another good deal I've got both DOWIIs for around $16 bucks. Not bad for me considering the game is worth a potential 1000 gamer score. I think I'll be looking for coop partners in the future

Anyone figure out how to use THQs code for the exclusive Librarian War Gear?

Let me just confirm this. If I buy Metro and the two Dawn of War 2 games off the THQ store, it'll just give me the CD keys and I can take them directly to Steam, correct? Is this true with all their games, or just these three? Or is Metro not included?

On the other hand, there might be Christmas deals on all three of these. It's not like I'll play them before then anyhow. :/

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Let me just confirm this. If I buy Metro and the two Dawn of War 2 games off the THQ store, it'll just give me the CD keys and I can take them directly to Steam, correct? Is this true with all their games, or just these three? Or is Metro not included?

On the other hand, there might be Christmas deals on all three of these. It's not like I'll play them before then anyhow. :/[/QUOTE]

yes.
metro was a daily deal at $25. there is no way its below $10 for the holiday sale.
chaos rising has been $20 in the pack, i dont expect anything lower than $7.50 for the standalone.

who knows =)

Why cant the goddamn thq store take paypal? every civilized retailer on the interwebs does these days..... ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely bite on Metro Jesse. I have it for 360 and love the game. Playing on hard makes it a hell of a challenge. I also sont see this game going for a cheaper price anytime soon.

Personally I want to bite on the expansion for warhammer 40k 2 but since they dont take paypal i am not able to do it.

[quote name='Spyder187']Why cant the goddamn thq store take paypal? every civilized reatiler on the interwebs does these days..... ugh.[/QUOTE]

Amazon isn't civilized?

I rarely shop Amazon to be honest with you. But at least they had the common courtesy to give a guy a reach around and set up their own version of paypal.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Amazingly, I decided eff it. I'm sure Steam will have them at these prices or lower someday. I just have too damn much to play.[/QUOTE]

I applaud your new found restraint, Jesse. Keep up the good work!

(Since it's free, I'm still expecting you to download Alien Swarm when it's released.)

[quote name='eastx']Sweet prices on those THQ games! Nobody's posted Metro 2033 impressions other than stating it requires a lot of system resources. I wanna know what it's like...

Future Wars is out on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/46440/ It's on sale for $8. If it had Steam features I'd probably jump right away. Instead I shall hold out for the holiday sale.[/QUOTE]
Definitely want Future Wars, but with my backlog, I'll wait for it to drop in price...

New Steam groups are here!

3fd2c49ee83c3a1bdf219acb51ded1e7610430ea_full.jpg

Killing Floor

3a5e0a062c5f581f0b72e8a84946e09fdcca5d80_full.jpg

Alien Swarm

9bc442b759df237a34eef29038628c1542c05515_full.jpg

Sol Survivor

Please join the appropriate groups, everybody!

[quote name='eastx']New Steam groups are here!

Please join the appropriate groups, everybody![/QUOTE]

I'm in the AS group - thanks for setting it up and looking forward to the launch!

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I picked up Chaos Rising from THQ which means after another good deal I've got both DOWIIs for around $16 bucks. Not bad for me considering the game is worth a potential 1000 gamer score. I think I'll be looking for coop partners in the future

Anyone figure out how to use THQs code for the exclusive Librarian War Gear?[/QUOTE]

Don't know if you got your answer yet, but you put the code in via the Games for Windows Live program. Once you load it up (I just do it in game), bring up the bar that has GFWL with the home button, click on your Gamertag, then click on redeem code and enter it in.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Definitely want Future Wars, but with my backlog, I'll wait for it to drop in price...[/QUOTE]

Bet there'll be a great sale come holiday. :) I want it, too.

[quote name='animalspinners']You don't even need to download it off THQ, that's the best part.

Get the CD Key (which they provide in your order summary), register that CD Key on Steam, and start downloading from there ;) [/QUOTE]

Oh, awesome! Thanks for the tip, I'll be picking this up for sure.

[quote name='eastx']New Steam groups are here!

3fd2c49ee83c3a1bdf219acb51ded1e7610430ea_full.jpg

Killing Floor

3a5e0a062c5f581f0b72e8a84946e09fdcca5d80_full.jpg

Alien Swarm

Please join the appropriate groups, everybody![/QUOTE]

Whoo! Thanks EastX, purchased KF during the last sale and need to play with some good people. Too many games, and too little time (work, school, girlfriend).

Currently playing Borderlands on PC, any new characters out there? Been playing as Brick, but I hear that's not the best idea haha.

[quote name='keiblerfan69']I am going to be ready this year.[/QUOTE]

Me too! And I've got such an enormous backlog that frankly, unless I want something bad enough to strip naked and spread eagle from the top of my house onto the street in the dead of winter (i.e. pay retail price), I'm just gonna wait for everything to be on sale, no matter how cool it looks.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Me too! And I've got such an enormous backlog that frankly, unless I want something bad enough to strip naked and spread eagle from the top of my house onto the street in the dead of winter (i.e. pay retail price), I'm just gonna wait for everything to be on sale, no matter how cool it looks.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. I haven't paid retail for anything in a long time and it feels good.

To be fair, I paid retail price for 3D Dot Game Heroes. It was a good price, though. (Still, every time I see a deal on it, I hurt a little inside.) And I paid the full $34.99 for Dragon Quest IX... mostly by accident. Oi. But it was worth it. Ya know, like I said, jumping from the top of my house naked..

[quote name='keiblerfan69']I completely agree. I haven't paid retail for anything in a long time and it feels good.[/QUOTE]

Co-sign!
r0ulwm.jpg

Valve Time strikes again.

About an hour ago Alien Swarm had approximately two hours until release. It now says it has three hours.

/sigh

[quote name='SEH']Valve Time strikes again.

About an hour ago Alien Swarm had approximately two hours until release. It now says it has three hours.

/sigh[/QUOTE]

You know, we might have already gotten Half-Life 2: Episode 3 in the past. We just weren't aware of it because Valve is so screwy. Somebody get a time machine and 1.21 Jiggawatts.

There is no such thing as past, present and future. There is only the eternal now.

So Half-life 2: Episode 3 came out exactly when it was supposed to.

Says Gabe, jiggling happily.

Alien Swarm is finally out and as everyone expected, "The Steam servers are too busy to handle your request." And I was trying to pull from the Africa server!

EDIT: Tried Cambodia, New Zealand and Malaysia. Hydro2Oxide told me he got his to work on Toronto and funnily enough, that worked for me too. Didn't expect that.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Alien Swarm is finally out and as everyone expected, "The Steam servers are too busy to handle your request." And I was trying to pull from the Africa server![/QUOTE]

Philippines is where it's at, yo. Well, not really. At least I got 'Downloading: 0%' on my games list.

Sure enough, as soon as I start Downloading Pride 33, Alien Swarm goes up. Oh well. Downloading AS from South America at 400-600kbs.

I joined the AS group. I had trouble getting the DL going in the NA servers but it's almost done and going at like 800KB/s so not bad.

Edit: Like 10 seconds after this post steam died on me. But it's all good again.

I would play Alien Swarm right now if the servers weren't getting pounded so bad. I will wait a few hours and see how awesome this game is. Also free TF2 hat with a free game? Free is awesome.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']The game is so fucking bad ass, and it's free.

It feels like a paid for game, I love it.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. A friend and I did a few quick run-throughs and it's really fun/hard. Definitely need 3+ for the harder difficulties.

My god this game is freaking sweet, can't wait for all the mod goodies that will inevitably come. But as they say, if you want something done right, do it yourself. Maybe it's time I picked up Source mod tools...

Anyone else have issues with Alien Swarm? when I started to run it I just got a message on my monitor saying input devise not supported. Now when I try to long into steam it just says that it is currently being run on another user. I'm the only user on this computer so I don't understand what is going on with it when it comes to that message. I had to do a hard reset as I had nothing but a blank screen and the message on the monitor.

[quote name='sendme']Anyone else have issues with Alien Swarm? when I started to run it I just got a message on my monitor saying input devise not supported. Now when I try to long into steam it just says that it is currently being run on another user. I'm the only user on this computer so I don't understand what is going on with it when it comes to that message. I had to do a hard reset as I had nothing but a blank screen and the message on the monitor.[/QUOTE]

One of my girls was unable to get the game working she kept on getting an error saying 'Failed to load the launcher DLL.' Her CPU is under 3.0 Ghz though. Not by much 2.8 Ghz. She followed the support link concerning the issue.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6897-DMYX-9004

Got the game to work but had issues with her monitor. The game would play but it was off centers on her wide screen.

Other than that everyone else in my crew played the game with no problem!

From some website, can't recall

Step 1 Go to options- controls, click "Enable Developer Console"
Step 2 press tilde key (~) [you know, that button just below esc and next to one] to open your console
step 3 Type in "sv_cheats 1" without the brackets of course.
Step 4 type in "asw_tilegen"
Oh shit in-game map maker for dummies

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']From some website, can't recall[/QUOTE]

Not exactly a secret; it's one of the advertised features of the game, and it's detailed on the Valve Developer Wiki.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Not exactly a secret; it's one of the advertised features of the game, and it's detailed on the Valve Developer Wiki.[/QUOTE]

I never said it was a secret, it just hadn't been posted and accessing it is a little cryptic so I thought I'd let people know how to.

The midweek madness deal is Final Fantasy XI Ultimate Collection, 50% off, aka $4.99.

This is seriously the most boring midweek madness ever. The discount amounts to just one-third of a single month's subscription fee. It seems almost completely irrelevant.

Oh, and by the way, they just put up SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition. It's $20. I'd buy it for $10, cause god do I love me some SimCity.

bread's done
Back