The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Yes, it says 'XXXX is in non-Steam game YYYYYY'[/QUOTE]

Even for small games like say 'Seven Minutes'?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Yes, it says 'XXXX is in non-Steam game YYYYYY'[/QUOTE]

Interesting, did not know this! Anyways topic has been updated with both new info and new QotD!

[quote name='Megazell']Even for small games like say 'Seven Minutes'?[/QUOTE]

As long as you launch ANYTHING through steam (Even an internet browser, notepad etc.) by using the add non-Steam game tool, it'll show up.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']As long as you launch ANYTHING through steam (Even an internet browser, notepad etc.) by using the add non-Steam game tool, it'll show up.[/QUOTE]

Got it.

[quote name='Megazell']On STEAM or in general?

If in general - Check out my Free And Legal PC Games Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244468[/QUOTE]

On Steam. Believe me, I went through your Free PC Game thread with a fine tooth comb and can't thank you enough for it. The cleanup you did with the first couple of posts being direct links to the games makes that thread GODLY. I check it every time I see a new post in it.

Thanks for the link MSI. I didn't think to check the Steam forums.

[quote name='Mike UFC']On Steam. Believe me, I went through your Free PC Game thread with a fine tooth comb and can't thank you enough for it. The cleanup you did with the first couple of posts being direct links to the games makes that thread GODLY. I check it every time I see a new post in it.

Thanks for the link MSI. I didn't think to check the Steam forums.[/QUOTE]

Glad, you liked it.

I never knew STEAM allowed free full games either. I tried to search it before but like Mike, never tried the forums.

Thanks MSI. I updated my list with your post.

You can preorder both versions of ME2 on steam now. Amazon seems like the best deal for the regular version, though I really want it in digital form.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Gordan Freeman for sure. He's got the skills to kill a ton of dudes AND has a PhD in Theoretical Physics.[/QUOTE]

Ah but Francis has the power to hate things. I betcha he hates theoretical physics!

I think Gordon would smash Francis head in the moment Francis tried to mouth off about the 2nd thing he hated.

New post shows that 90% of console games were bought by physical media and 79% of all PC sales were physical media. The article phrases it like its a big triumph for physical media.....but I think 10% on consoles and 21% on PCs is a pretty damn nice number. I mean 21% means almost 1 in 4 games were bought digitally! This number is only going to grow to0!

http://www.destructoid.com/let-s-get-physical-media-90-percent-of-game-sales-160377.phtml

Too Low...

I know it's those $9.99 budget/crappy games they sell at Target and the like that keep the numbers up though.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Too high? Too low?[/QUOTE]

Considering that I bought 0 PC games retail and about 25 on Steam/D2D/Impulse/GamersGate last year, too low. That's not to say nobody buys retail anymore but the actual amount of games that are bought at these .99-4.99 steam sales are huge!

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Considering that I bought 0 PC games retail and about 25 on Steam/D2D/Impulse/GamersGate last year, too low. That's not to say nobody buys retail anymore but the actual amount of games that are bought at these .99-4.99 steam sales are huge![/QUOTE]

I know that the Target and Staples sales are probably keeping the physical media in business.

Target has 'Dawn Of War' I and II for $4.99 and every time I stop by that section is either empty or has 1 to 2 copies.

Personally, I left physical media behind years ago. If I did have a CD or DVD...I would open for the CD key alone and just DL.

Man, for the King's Bounty Armored Princess demo, I keep getting the Direct3D error... And one solution is to downgrade drivers for my graphics card. But I have a 8600M GT for my laptop and I don't think I ever upgraded it lol. *sigh. I really want this but there is no point in purchasing it if it doesn't work for me haha.

[quote name='Megazell']Target has 'Dawn Of War' I and II for $4.99 and every time I stop by that section is either empty or has 1 to 2 copies.[/QUOTE]

As in this game!?

Buy AI Wars and the new expansion that came out today the Zenith Remnant!

Awesome game if your into strategy games. The dev is awesome too and works so hard on the game and always keeping everyone up to date on the game and always open to suggestions to improve things.

Hey guys, I just need 1 more for a Global Agenda 4 pack. It's only 35 bucks, PM me or add me on steam or reply to this if you're interested.

[quote name='Megazell']Yep.[/QUOTE]

You're mistaking the expansion packs for the sequel.

As for AI War... Man, I would not recommend that game to anyone.

[quote name='kilm']You're mistaking the expansion packs for the sequel.

As for AI War... Man, I would not recommend that game to anyone.[/QUOTE]

You're correct. I was incorrect.

It's this one -
s65gjl.jpg
$9.99 marked down to $4.99

Are they good games? I always hate when people ask blanket questions like that... :)

I always wanted a good turn-based Warhammer game. I don't think I'd like these, even if it is Relic. I suck at RTS.

Still waiting for a deal on Blood Bowl. :)

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Hey guys, I just need 1 more for a Global Agenda 4 pack. It's only 35 bucks, PM me or add me on steam or reply to this if you're interested.[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely interested, but am broke at the moment. Come back and give us your impressions though.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Are they good games? I always hate when people ask blanket questions like that... :)

I always wanted a good turn-based Warhammer game. I don't think I'd like these, even if it is Relic. I suck at RTS.

Still waiting for a deal on Blood Bowl. :)[/QUOTE]

The Warhammer games from Relic are VERY good. I'm currently playing through Dawn of War 2 and am loving it so much, but it doesn't have any base building just a commander with 3 squads that lvl up and you can upgrade their equipment and spend attribute points to unlock new skills/bonus'. You use cover and special abilities and such. The first Dawn of War games are great RTS'.

There are demos for both on steam iirc

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Well, I'd better try those demos I guess. :p Darn it. Thank you tho. Maybe I'll really like them![/QUOTE]

From what I remember, they're very much more action focused. The resources are basically just control points spread all over the map you try to hold. I remember having a really good time with it. Never did get around to beating the main campaign though. Just did skirmishes.

[quote name='kilm']You're mistaking the expansion packs for the sequel.

As for AI War... Man, I would not recommend that game to anyone.[/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with this game? It looks fun....

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Well, I'd better try those demos I guess. :p Darn it. Thank you tho. Maybe I'll really like them![/QUOTE]
I can't speak about DoW (1 or 2), but I will say that Relic's CoH is a great game, and one of my favorite things about the game is the way one acquires resources, which doesn't require a "worker" unit and protecting your economy as well as amassing tons of units for an assault. Its been a while since I've played, but there is a game mode (thinking its the standard mode) which also reduces the game's length by removing your opponent's total points based on the amount of special capture points you hold--the more you hold, the faster they lose these points. The first to 0 loses.

The reason I mention CoH (when you specifically asked about DoW) is that I was under the impression there are a lot of similarities between the two, gameplay-wise.

Topic updated and guess ill answer the QotD first today!

So for me my sweet spot where I start considering buying a game more then I normally would is any game thats marked down more then 50%. If the game is under $5 its often much harder not to buy....and anything under $2 is usually insta buy.

I don't have a sweetspot as I've found this a terribly unfrugal way to spend money. The second you let prices dictate what you want you end up full of games you'll never play. Thus far I've played and enjoy all of the games I bought on the sale but I could've bought a ton more. I just wasn't sure if I'd like them.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I don't have a sweetspot as I've found this a terribly unfrugal way to spend money. The second you let prices dictate what you want you end up full of games you'll never play. Thus far I've played and enjoy all of the games I bought on the sale but I could've bought a ton more. I just wasn't sure if I'd like them.[/QUOTE]

Well problem with that is you will miss on some games you may love. Ya I have a few games like Team Fortress 2 and Half Life I regret buying, but then there are things like Zombie Bowling and Nation Red that I would have never found if I just went off early demo impressions. This is even more true with console games where there are tons of things like N+ and Okami which are fav games that id have normally never bought for fear of not liking them!

That said....these sales are killing me. I was $200 in the green on my budget sheet before these sales started, now im $700 in the red! To be fair though $400 of it is a new PC, $100 a PSP and $100 a cut I took to get my wife a "paid" day off of work. None of which are typical expenses.

I know exactly what you mean. I also built a computer recently (I needed a second one) and grabbed a PSP (Strangely similar, our spending habits) and these steam sales on top of it... I'm not gonna last long :bomb:

$~5 or less, usually will buy it even if mediocre reviews, unless its got horrible reviews (and horrible word-of-mouth), then I won't bother.

$10-15 for AAA and/or newer titles with great word of mouth (was going to buy killing floor for $10, and it had great word of mouth, but got lucky with the steam deal of $5)....anything more, I usually think about, check reviews, ect.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I know exactly what you mean. I also built a computer recently (I needed a second one) and grabbed a PSP (Strangely similar, our spending habits) and these steam sales on top of it... I'm not gonna last long :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Ya the PC is because my wife is going back to school and will be hogging the PC all the time. We were going to spend $500ish on a laptop that really wouldnt do much other then be portable, so I figured why not give my wife my current PC and spend a few hundred extra and build a new gaming rig.

PSP we both wanted because we are huge Kingdom Hearts fans and the new KH is about to hit the PSP. There are a few other games like Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman, Dissidia and Half Minute Hero id like to play as well too so I could justify the expense(especially when its CFW so I can play some old games on the go as well).

$5 unless it's a solid performing title and I want to play it sooner maybe $10.

I purchased L4D for 25, don't regret it but I'll wait for the 2nd one to go down.

[quote name='MSI Magus']PSP we both wanted because we are huge Kingdom Hearts fans and the new KH is about to hit the PSP. There are a few other games like Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman, Dissidia and Half Minute Hero id like to play as well too so I could justify the expense(especially when its CFW so I can play some old games on the go as well).[/QUOTE]

I just needed some Monster Hunter (Among other things I suppose)

[quote name='Kenrik']When do we figure out what the Weekend deal is?[/QUOTE]

It'll come when it comes. It's usually up in the Deal forum within 15 minutes of posting.

bread's done
Back