The Thrift Store Thread 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hit another local thrift store today.

Atari Flashback 2 with 1 controller, $5.
atari.jpg

Green N64 with expansion pack, $10
n64.jpg

Enterprise D model kit, $3
startrek.jpg

i found a stuffed Alf (still doesn't know if it talks yet) and one of the boo ghost things from smb for a dollar. Better than nothing i guess. the alf doesn't talk, oh well :(

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys know you can mod a Flashback 2 to play actual atari cartridges right? I'd like to try doing that with one someday.

Went to a Salvation Army for the first time in years and made out like a bandit. I got Bad Religion's "Stranger Than Fiction" album for $2, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare(both discs & case, no manual) for the Dreamcast for $1 & Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast(complete) for $1. 50% off the Dreamcast games FTW.:lol::lol::lol:

I saw(but didn't pick up) Fox Hunt for the PC the other day at the one local Salvation Army store. I couldn't bring myself to pay $5 for it.

They also had the first six seasons of Mission Impossible(tv show), but they wanted $12.99 per fuckin' set.

k so i am thinking that these were priced a little high, but i never see the systems, always see games, but please lmk

[
came with all cords, one controller, and game that i think is for the 32x, also the system says high definition and the controller says high frequency (is this normal, i never had a genesis growing up so don't know much about them)
(also had box, and styrofoam but no altered beast) -19.99

two other games i got at the same time that were 1.99 each

[quote name='orcafan8']
came with all cords, one controller, and game that i think is for the 32x, also the system says high definition and the controller says high frequency (is this normal, i never had a genesis growing up so don't know much about them)
(also had box, and styrofoam but no altered beast) -19.99

[/QUOTE]

The Genesis came from a time when "high definition" didn't mean high definition. If that makes any sense... The "high definition" printed on the system is just a buzz word intended to make consumers think it was better than the competition.

Also, the game you've got is a regular old cart, the yellow tab at the top and the unusual shape don't signify anything other than an "unlicensed" cart. Instead of paying Sega for the cartridge shells, they instead opted to make their own. This also required them to put an extra chip in the game to "fake" the Genesis out and think a licensed game was in the system. The extra chip necessitated more space, and thus the cart is bigger than the usual Genesis games.

I really wish i could find a thrift store near me, there was one but it closed down, I wonder if they'll be in the yellowpages...

Picked up at Goodwill today:

SNES Legend of Zelda LTTP - 99 cents
SNES Pocky & Rocky - 99 Cents
SNES Kirby Super Star - 99 cents
20 white empty dvd cases (like Wii cases) - 1.99

[quote name='Doomstink']TAlso, the game you've got is a regular old cart, the yellow tab at the top and the unusual shape don't signify anything other than an "unlicensed" cart. Instead of paying Sega for the cartridge shells, they instead opted to make their own. This also required them to put an extra chip in the game to "fake" the Genesis out and think a licensed game was in the system. The extra chip necessitated more space, and thus the cart is bigger than the usual Genesis games.[/QUOTE]

I've never heard this reason before. I've just always thought that the big carts with the tab were that way because they were all EA games.

picked up a fat psp w/charger for 25 dollars. Not only a steal but it already had custom firmware on it, a 4gb memory stick and nes, snes, atari, n64, ps 1 and gba emulators with a ton of games preloaded and gta liberty city UMD

I got these at two local places that are similar to thrifts, one is a garagesale that has been open since early july, I'm not sure where the guy gets his items but to me it seems like he is trying to be a store not a garage sale.

The second picture is from a local place that repossess storage units.....they repossessed a unit belonging to one of the local hoarders..sadly I was not the first pserson there :( see the garage sale thread for more info.

101_0384.JPG

101_0385.JPG

Total spent $20 on first pic
Total spent $22 on second pic.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I've never heard this reason before. I've just always thought that the big carts with the tab were that way because they were all EA games.[/QUOTE]

I think there is some other companies that have used the larger cart as well (Accolade, I think). EA probably used unlicensed carts to keep costs down on production, as you had to pay Sega a hefty amount to license games.

[quote name='Doomstink']
Also, the game you've got is a regular old cart, the yellow tab at the top and the unusual shape don't signify anything other than an "unlicensed" cart. Instead of paying Sega for the cartridge shells, they instead opted to make their own. This also required them to put an extra chip in the game to "fake" the Genesis out and think a licensed game was in the system. The extra chip necessitated more space, and thus the cart is bigger than the usual Genesis games.[/QUOTE]

Well, not exactly. Not all unlicensed cartridges had an extra chip in them, and more often than not the extra chip was additional ROM space (ie: two 4mb chips vs. one 8mb). For examples, see some of Ballistic/Accolade's games (like Hardball and Mike Ditka) which fit on the same PCB size as Sega's licensed carts.

The larger cartridge shell was more likely an effort to avoid any sort of patent infringements or legal action on Sega's behalf for possibly trying to pass their unlicensed games off as licensed. The unique size and shape says "Hey, these are unlicensed so don't think we're trying to present them to the consumer as official".

The yellow tab is indeed unique to EA games, and EA continued to use the same case, regardless of PCB size, long after they entered into an official licensing agreement with Sega. Examples would be Populous, the Mutant League games and James Pond, but there are many more. This was likely because EA either still had a lot of empty cartridge shells or because it was cheaper to use their existing assembly lines rather than "upgrading" to standard Genesis cartridges (which they did, but not for a few years).

Saw some Odyssey2 games but they were $6 each, seriously WTF Goodwill. Couldnt find a priceguide for these so does anyone know if Baseball!, Invaders from Hyperspace!, Take The Money and Run!, Cryptologic (has 2 other games I cant read from my pic with it), Alien Invaders Plus, and Out of This World/ Helicopter Rescue are worth anything. They were all in their boxes too.

Oh yeah other Goodwill had 21 Atari 2600 games but they were $4 each. Just checked and none are worth more then 75 cents on VGPC.

Some times they're way off on pricing this stuff. $4 got me a NES but couldnt get me 1 Odyssey2 game.

So we got a new Value Village over here that just opened yesterday, so I went today to take a look. Man this place was huge, and packed with people. Everything was clean and organized, unlike pretty much every other thrift store I've been to, where it stinks, everything is covered in dust and they just put random stuff everywhere. Anyways I hit up the games/DVD section and they have a pretty decent selection, the good news is that all their games seem to be priced 3.99, regardless of console, completeness, etc. The other VV I go to has a 4.99 base price for games, and that's only for disc/cart only games, most anything that comes with a case or manual is bumped up to 9.99+.

Anyways I only picked up 1 game that I thought was worth it at 3.99, and boy was it worth it in a big way, I wish I could have seen my face when I saw this sucker mixed in with other ps1/PC games.

Valkyrie Profile (PS1, complete and mint, looks like it's never been played) - 3.99$

[quote name='NaturalHatTrick']So we got a new Value Village over here that just opened yesterday, so I went today to take a look. Man this place was huge, and packed with people. Everything was clean and organized, unlike pretty much every other thrift store I've been to, where it stinks, everything is covered in dust and they just put random stuff everywhere. Anyways I hit up the games/DVD section and they have a pretty decent selection, the good news is that all their games seem to be priced 3.99, regardless of console, completeness, etc. The other VV I go to has a 4.99 base price for games, and that's only for disc/cart only games, most anything that comes with a case or manual is bumped up to 9.99+.

Anyways I only picked up 1 game that I thought was worth it at 3.99, and boy was it worth it in a big way, I wish I could have seen my face when I saw this sucker mixed in with other ps1/PC games.

Valkyrie Profile (PS1, complete and mint, looks like it's never been played) - 3.99$[/QUOTE]

Congrats, awesome find! :applause:

You guys are damn lucky to find that stuff... Every place I have gone to has either never had anything to begin with or picked clean. However I did find a really good condition copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstine for the PC for 2 bucks at one place. Never played it so might as well right?

I work at the Goodwill and we have been getting the target clearanced games and selling them for $12 and I pick them up whenever I see one I want. I love target. But I hate my job lol.

Also I'd like to mention that my particular goodwill that I work at has been jacking up prices like crazy. I heard it straight from my supervisor's mouth in a meeting we had.

Found out there is one less than a mile from my new place, no good games yet. Saw some pack in nes games for 99 cents, a bunch of pc games that sold before I could get time to look through them. Did pick up a wireless g router and a motorola 5100 docsis 2.0 modem for 3.00 each.

[quote name='GogetaSS4']I work at the Goodwill and we have been getting the target clearanced games and selling them for $12 and I pick them up whenever I see one I want. I love target. But I hate my job lol.

Also I'd like to mention that my particular goodwill that I work at has been jacking up prices like crazy. I heard it straight from my supervisor's mouth in a meeting we had.[/QUOTE]

The GW stores from Tacoma are usually the ones wanting $19.59 to start with on shopgoodwill.com for systems that look like they haven't been dusted in years. :lol:

So, I've seen the gouging you mention, if only on their auction site.:roll:

im glad the 3 local GWs i go to dont have people putting stuff on shopgoodwill cause the prices always end up way more then what id pay at the GW

What game stuff have I seen at Goodwill? One store had a Genesis 2 with RF hookup and 2 common games for $20. Another had an Atari 2600, 2 controllers, 2 paddle controllers and some games for $30. No AC adaptor(of which I'd pay a fortune for anywhere that has them) and the entire thing looked as if it'd been sitting outdoors for years.

Hell, I wouldn't buy a game system at a place like that unless they let me hook it up toi a TV and verify it works. Thankfully, the place I got that N64 let me do just that.

nothing but atari games and sports games at the first 2 GWs. 25% off games at the one closest to my house so im thinkin "i gotta get something cant have a wasted trip", had some genesis and atari games but they were all games either on Sonics Ultimate Genesis Collection or my Atari Flashback2 or worthless. i bought Mace the Dark Age for N64 (never even heard of this game) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters for Genesis for $5.66. chick who works there asked if i minded paying $4 for old games and i said "it really depends on the game but most of the stuff you guys get should probably be $1, the goodwill i was at before this had $1 on NES and Atari games but even then they werent anything worth picking up." she then told me how she bought a copy of Yoshis Island for SNES yesterday for $4 that someone dropped off and i was thinkin "DAMN DAMN DAMN". not a thrift store find but my shop n save is trying to sell off all their Mountain Dew Game Fuel 20oz bottles so theyre 2 for $1, i got 10 of each flavor

That purple mountain dew stuff is good. There was a sale at target for the 12 packs. I thought it was pretty good for a change.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']That purple mountain dew stuff is good. There was a sale at target for the 12 packs. I thought it was pretty good for a change.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought that stuff was bhergheheahrh. I took two sips and threw it out, and I never throw out drinks.

The second sip was to confirm that, yes, it really was that bad.

Another good day at some thrifts today.

Every single one is brand new factory sealed. How the hell they got there is beyond me. The Sega Classics I got from a Salv. Army last week. All the Sonic Knuckles I picked up today at a different Salv. Army. Thought maybe some store donated some found product and the Salv. Army distributed it between stores but those 2 were the only stores with anything. It was half price on yellow tags today also.
DSCF0001-5.jpg

Was only going to buy the 2 Genesis games ($1.98), the Gamefest Forgotten Realms Classics ($3.48), the Castlevania games, Zelda Games and Mario game for NES ($3.48) but asked the clerk why they were priced differently and if I could get them for $1.98 each I would buy them all, so I did. Not worth it on some but I wasn't going to pass it up. The blue stickers on the Genesis games were the $1.98 stickers. The rest of the nintendo games have the yellow $3.48 on the back of them. It is a bit weird because there are 2 specific goodwills around my area that seem to get quite a bit of video game stuff constantly and then the rest get nothing. All of these were at the same Goodwill.

DSCF0002-1.jpg

i would love to see a pile of nes games like that at my GWs but theyd be freakin $4 apiece and i dont think i could get them to break me a deal

Damn man, nice score. VGPC values new copies of S&K at $82.

[quote name='juangrande386']i would love to see a pile of nes games like that at my GWs but theyd be freakin $4 apiece and i dont think i could get them to break me a deal[/QUOTE]

I'd whip out my debit card and deal with the consequences later. >_>

All i found yesterday at my salvation army was a copy of mickey mousecapade for NES in a giant plastic toychest full of toys and books. I went through a lot of trouble to get that little mickey mouse game, but it was a buck and in good condition so thats ok.

[quote name='Jmclark']I've been Goodwill shopping at least once a week for all summer, and found nothing. Seems like all they have are VCRs. :([/QUOTE]

From past experience, if you go every single day . . . your odds will improve. Even then its possible that you'll get beat out.

The reason why we so often see only sports titles is because someone got there first :whistle2:(

My Goodwill has so many shoppers that I've seen stuff and thought "that looks cool but not for me" and then saw someone with it at the checkout with it 15 mins. later. I once saw a great deal on a power screwdriver (worth $30 marked $5) but this lady had it in her hands . . . I decided to walk away (to not show interest) in hopes she would put it down . . . she did but before I could get back (30 secs) another guy picked it up and bought it.

Here is my pick up in 2 weeks

26 inch hitachi LCD HDTV (no remote) - 49.99
Gameboy pokemon pikachu edition - 2.99
Nike dunks (Oreo jordunks) - 5.00
Apple MacBook 13 inch rechargable battery - 6.00
Dreamcast with cables no controller - 8.50

I saw the following console with some crazy prices
nintendo complete with box - 39.99
genesis no box complete - 19.99
2 x dreamcast - 24.99 and 29.99

ha my GW just doesnt get it, noone is going to pay $25 for a dirty/ most likely malfunctioning PS1 especially when PS2s and PS3s play ps1 games. theyve had the same 4 PS1s sitting on the shelf for almost a year

[quote name='schuerm26']Another good day at some thrifts today.

Every single one is brand new factory sealed. How the hell they got there is beyond me. The Sega Classics I got from a Salv. Army last week. All the Sonic Knuckles I picked up today at a different Salv. Army. Thought maybe some store donated some found product and the Salv. Army distributed it between stores but those 2 were the only stores with anything. It was half price on yellow tags today also.
DSCF0001-5.jpg

Was only going to buy the 2 Genesis games ($1.98), the Gamefest Forgotten Realms Classics ($3.48), the Castlevania games, Zelda Games and Mario game for NES ($3.48) but asked the clerk why they were priced differently and if I could get them for $1.98 each I would buy them all, so I did. Not worth it on some but I wasn't going to pass it up. The blue stickers on the Genesis games were the $1.98 stickers. The rest of the nintendo games have the yellow $3.48 on the back of them. It is a bit weird because there are 2 specific goodwills around my area that seem to get quite a bit of video game stuff constantly and then the rest get nothing. All of these were at the same Goodwill.

DSCF0002-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Am I the only one who's starting to developing a love-hate relationship with this thread?:lol::lol::lol:

What an incredible find! Lucky, lucky, LUCKY!!! Congrats!:applause::applause::applause:

ive never even seen a video game system at my goodwill. theyve had a bunch of maddens for months and months now, and today i went and they had a few decent genesis games that i passed on, but no systems or anything.

[quote name='schuerm26']Another good day at some thrifts today.

DSCF0001-5.jpg

[/QUOTE]

PM me if you'd be interested in trading/selling one of those copies of S&K. My only copy is opened and the box is a bit worn.

I found these-

The Resident Evil toys were $1 each, eale don cards, although the packaging was a bit aged. I paid $2 for an adaptor to use a Playstation controller on Gamecube/Xbox/PC. It means I can sell off that Gameboy Player Controller for a lot while using this instead.

ha what a big waste of gas/time- drove around town first looking for yardsales. i see signs everywhere but only found like 3-nothing. then i went to 4 goodwills and a salvation army-nothing.

Hoo boy! I ALMOST had the perfect thrift store shopping day. I was THIS close! But other than two or three little annoyances it was great. Here goes.

Black GameCube with AV cables, two controllers, extension cord for one controller, Pikmin (no case) Zelda: WindWaker, The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition, and Wario Land for the Virtual Boy.

Here's where the problems come in. It turns out the GameCube didn't come with a power cord or memory card. But I can fix this real easy with a stop at the pawn shop. But the thing that really ruined it for me was Wario Land. It was in great condition! I slowly peeled off the price sticker. Got it almost all the way off when I hear a tear. Oh God it sucked so much. But still great day overall.
Total amount spent: 25 dollars.

whole.jpg

wariot.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back