The Thrift Store Thread 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found two games I probably shouldn't have bought: Spider-Man and Toy Story 2, both for PS1, for $2.99 each. The cases aren't great, but both discs look like they've never been played. I loved Spider-Man, and I'm a sucker for Toy Story 2, especially after losing my N64 copy, so I grabbed them.

I also found a Flaming Lips CD and the Barenaked Ladies Christmas CD. Luckily, CDs are more reasonably priced at $.99 each.

I have Toy Story 2 for N64. I enjoyed it and played it recently. It's not that bad except for it's graphics which are putrid even for back then.

Decided to hit the one store near me. Picked up Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Gran Turismo 2, and Wipeout 3 for a total of $7 for the PSX. Already had the first 2 in the past, but I do regret trading them in years ago. Nice to have them back. Almost picked up Aliens Triolgy (PSX) and that pac man adventure game for Genesis, but didn't. Maybe next time if it's still there.

[quote name='icedrake523']I have Toy Story 2 for N64. I enjoyed it and played it recently. It's not that bad except for it's graphics which are putrid even for back then.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping it's the same game. I loved it back in the day.

Slow start to this morning's bargain hunting. Went to a yard sale--found nothing. Went to a flea market--found nothing. Fortunately, I ended the day strong at my local Goodwill. They were doing their "first Saturday of the month 50% off" sale and I got these.

picture.php

Gwen Stefani: "The Sweet Escape"(Complete) - $1.50:
Went into this purchase blind(deaf?). I bought it because of being a big No Doubt fan... I have the feeling I'm in for a "meh" surprise.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert - The Domination Pack(all 4 discs, case,
RA:A manual only, no RA or RA:C manual) - $2: Had RA1, but with the 2 expansions I couldn't say no to the price.

Star Trek: Bridge Commander(Case & disc only) - $1.50:
Always wanted to pick it up. And judging by some of the prices on Amazon and eBay(around $50+/-), I got a huge deal.

Gwen Stefani: "The Sweet Escape"(Complete) - $1.50: Went into this purchase blind(deaf?). I bought it because of being a big No Doubt fan... I have the feeling I'm in for a "meh" surprise.

Both of her solo cd's are excellent!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I the Barenaked Ladies Christmas CD.[/QUOTE]

We only play it a few times during the holidays but this is a great album.

[quote name='schultzed']We only play it a few times during the holidays but this is a great album.[/QUOTE]

They're one of my favorite bands, so I already had this CD :lol: I really only bought it to give to one of my friends. But you're right, it's a great album. the cover of Do They Know It's Christmas is just wonderful.

yay today totally made up for fridays nothingness, nothing much at 2 goodwills but the 3rd one I found 2 opened but complete copies of FEAR 2 for PS3 for $6.99 each so I grabbed both then I found a NES AC adaptor for $1. Now I can sell that extra NES Ive had sitting around. I dont usually trade games in but does anyone know what Gamestop gives for FEAR 2? Gonna keep one since I still didnt have any games for the PS3 slim I got last week.

I tried to go to the local thrift store today, only to find it closed. Even though it's SUPPOSED to be open today. They have Banjo-Kazooie N64 for $1 and I need at leats soemthing to play on it, but I can't very well buy it if they aren't open. I'd give the place a month before they close for business, it seems they're not open enough to even earn enough to cover rent.

The other thrift store I go to seems to be raising their prices. Carded toys that were $1 each the other day are now $5 each.

[quote name='juangrande386']yay today totally made up for fridays nothingness, nothing much at 2 goodwills but the 3rd one I found 2 opened but complete copies of FEAR 2 for PS3 for $6.99 each so I grabbed both then I found a NES AC adaptor for $1. Now I can sell that extra NES Ive had sitting around. I dont usually trade games in but does anyone know what Gamestop gives for FEAR 2? Gonna keep one since I still didnt have any games for the PS3 slim I got last week.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what Gamestop gives for them but I'm not sure $6.99 was that great of a deal. I'm sure you can flip them for something but nothing huge, maybe $10-$12 I would guess.

I just picked up F.E.A.R. 2 a couple weeks back from Gamefly for around $9.XX Used.

i hit a salvation army on the way to my parents on friday, and they were having a 40% off everything sale, and i got:

nyko wireless wii sensor bar - 1.62
snes paperboy 2 - 0.75
snes space invaders - 0.75
genesis rbi baseball '93 - 0.90
genesis world series baseball - 1.12

$1 at a local thrift store. I had to use SEVEN alcohol-soaked cotton swabs to clean the contacts before it would boot, and that's excluding what it will take to get the dirt off the cartridge exterior.

banjo.jpg

I noticed on my way to the Coinstar machine that my local Salvation Army had risen like the phoenix from it's ashes (yeah... the building burnt down and they lost all their inventory. They operated for a week or so a few months afterwards from the parking lot... but we live near a river so it rains on average of every three days.) but I saw a sign that said where they moved which is on the other side of the street and down farther than I usually go... plus it still has a sign up for the old flower store there.

It's roughly half the size of their old building and they were still stocking so I'm guessing they opened like Monday. Nothing in terms of games or electronics or anything outside of clothes and a big display of matchbox cars.

I did snag an awesome Late Night with Conan O'Brien 10th Anniversary shirt for $2 that's in great shape. I have the DVD special.

went to my goodwill today and its the first time ive ever purchased something.

found the sims 3 for $3.99. disc looks great minus one little mark that doesnt look like a problem at all, and it still has the $10 simpoints with it.

also picked up a momentus weight swing trainer golf club for $2.99. looks absolutely brand new. very happy with my pickups today.

I hit up a Goodwill I go to from time to time that usually has decent finds. All I got this time was a fairly nice Gameboy case for .97, as well as a Chuck Norris and Pac-Man shirt for $1.50 each. They had a stack of PS2 and XBox games for $3.97, but nothing I was interested in. Oh, and a still sealed Sims 3 preview DVD... for $9.99. Sure, it had a $5 off code that MIGHT still be good, but seriously. They also had crap like a car window cleaner that was cut open but never used (might've been shop lifted) for $9.99... which is the cost for one new.

I was tipped off to a store near my electroc company's offices with used games so I checked in while paying my bill. A typical used game selection though at least the prices of games were bearable.

There was a stack of $4 N64 games. I got Starfox 64 and wrote down a list of games to dig up info on. I also got a red DS Lite stylus for $3. Not that I am not swimming in them, but no red ones.

He had Xena N64 in box for $10 but I passed. I can get the game via Amazon for half that and for non-collectible games I have no need for the boxes or manuals. Just stuff for my collection.

The owner did admit that the more valuable stuff is typically stuck on eBay, because the people who go into the store typically don't want to pay eBay prices. I can't blame him, if people off the street won't pay $20 for a game and eBay will, no need to leave it sit in a counter. And it's nice to finally see a game store owner admit that the typical shopper doesn't care about eBay values.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Welp, as long as your stores don't have cherry picking employees you should be A-OK.[/QUOTE]

Hey I'm one of those so called Cherry Picking employees. But we can only buy them before and after work. So While we are at work we can't buy crap unless we decided to Stash stuff for after work but that will get us fired.

Virtua Fighter for Sega Saturn-$3, its in a cd case with booklet and artwork, is this a packin version?

1996 St Louis Blues Jersey- $12, fit perfectly when i tried it on

Goodwill Finds From Today:

segau.jpg

CIB Brand New-Ish Sega Genesis Core System Model 1 19.99

I overpaid for this, but I don't currently have a Genesis that will work properly on a consistent basis, and this one looked to be almost new in the original box with all the original documents, wires, and 2 controllers, so I bought it

ddrz.jpg

Gamecube DDR Mario Mix Mat Only $4.99

I wish I had found a copy of the game to go along with this, I don't need the mat, but I need a copy of the game. I only picked this up to flip on eBay or to use as trade bait. Anyone interested? I'll let it go for $25 shipped.

[quote name='spmahn']Goodwill Finds From Today:

CIB Brand New-Ish Sega Genesis Core System Model 1 19.99

[/QUOTE]

Awesome find!!! I just recently starting going to Goodwills. I haven't found anything good, yet. All the consoles that I did see, which were PS and Gamecube, were without A/V cords, power cords and controllers. The price was $19.99:cry:

I wish someone would turn in a nice and complete Sega Genesis, SNES or Sega Dreamcast at my local Goodwill.

I scored these from Goodwill
Shenmue DC - $10
Shenmue 2 DC - $10

maybe its not really a deal?
I dont even have a Dreamcast but ive been hearing good things about the games. Both in very good condition and complete (no manual for Sheanmue 2).

Shenmue II was only released in Europe until it was ported to xbox. Here's hoping you have something on your dc that will let you play it. If nothing else trade it to Goozex.com

[quote name='ivanwijaya']I scored these from Goodwill
Shenmue DC - $10
Shenmue 2 DC - $10

maybe its not really a deal?
I dont even have a Dreamcast but ive been hearing good things about the games. Both in very good condition and complete (no manual for Sheanmue 2).[/QUOTE]

Shenmue 2? Was it the PAL or Japanese Version? The game was never released over here, so I'd say you found something good. The PAL version of Shenmue 2 is worth around $50, not sure about the Japanese version but I think it is less. The first game is worth about $20.

Well for the first time I found something decently priced at the goodwill. I got a sealed copy of Hawx for the 360 for $2.50

They also had a sealed copy of Endwar for the ps3, the one with the mic for $5. I thought about picking it up but I already have Endwar on the 360 and I got a mic already with SOCOM.

Shenmue 2 is the PAL version. like I said before I dont even have a dreamcast yet, and I havent been able to locate one for decent price. I am thinking if I should just flip them on Ebay...?

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is awesome...

even though theyre worth more i cant believe your Goodwill had them for $10 apiece. my GW has anything Dreamcast and older for $4 apiece and ive seen PS2 up to PS3 games for $7 or $8 apiece.

Rad Racer With Spy Hunter Box Manual & Slip Cover (No Styrofoam Block) - .75
Code Name Viper In Nintendo Hard Plastic Case With Manual - $1.50

Half off pink tags made Rad Racer .75 and I couldn't resist a complete game for under a buck even if it was the wrong game. I bought Code Name Viper since I didn't have a manual. They also had TMNT & Fire Shark (1st time I've ever seen this one used in the wild around me) which I would have grabbed at 1.50 if I didn't have them. I was considering passing on Code Name Viper till 50% off but figured I shouldn't try to be that cheap as it would most likely be gone if I gambled on waiting till it was 50% off.

[quote name='ivanwijaya']Shenmue 2 is the PAL version. like I said before I dont even have a dreamcast yet, and I havent been able to locate one for decent price. I am thinking if I should just flip them on Ebay...?

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is awesome...[/QUOTE]

Since you mentioned that it doesn't have the manual, does it have all four discs and both cases? My copy has two manuals, two cases, four discs, and an outer box. If you've got everything but the manuals, you're set to make a good amount if you flip to eBay. Frankly, I'd recommend keeping Shenmue I, flipping II, and getting a DC. Play the first game and see if you like it and then you can pick up the Xbox Shenmue II if you like the first game.

Shenmue 2 only came with 4 cd's and the 1 case that hold 4 cds. I am wondering what kind of case are you talking about. Are they supposed to come with 4 different cases? I'll keep looking for a dreamcast. Can you give me a good price range for dreamcast?I think I saw one bare dreamcast for like $20, no cables means I cant test them, thats why I passed...

oops my bad, Shenmue 2 came with 2 cases, both have arts but no manual...sigh..does dreamcast needs to be hacked or something to play PAL game?

1. it mightve been $10 since it was 4 discs cause my GW tried to charge me per disc for the PC version of FF7 but after I pointed out that it was all the same game they charged $4
2. I think Dreamcast plays some PAL games, if not youll need to burn a boot disc like Utopia.

I grabbed a Sega Master System with all cables but no controller and 1 game (Golf) at a Goodwill today for $6.99.

I saw Resident Evil 2 for N64 yesterday, ONLY $10.

But I have so many other games in my possession, I actually passed on it. $10 was too much for a game I've beaten several times already. Anyway, I'd probably get sick of it eventually and be stuck selling it for $2 or something so it's not worth sinking the money into it.

When did thrift stores start charging ebay prices? I saw an old dusty cart-only copy of Super Mario Kart which was labeled "Not Tested - $19.99" at Value Village today. And we all know "Not Tested" is thrift store code for doesn't work.

Usually they sell their cart-only games for $4.99, which is already pretty high, but I hope this was just a pricing mistake or something.

passed on a really dirty genesis with a 3 button controller and hookups cause it was $20 at the Goodwill that I only go to cause its on my way to a much better one. they still of course have the $40 dreamcast sitting on an air hockey table. also passed on Tetris and Super Mario Bros2 at $4 apiece at my GW cause theyll still be there when they have a game/movie/cd sale.

[quote name='NaturalHatTrick']When did thrift stores start charging ebay prices? I saw an old dusty cart-only copy of Super Mario Kart which was labeled "Not Tested - $19.99" at Value Village today. And we all know "Not Tested" is thrift store code for doesn't work.

Usually they sell their cart-only games for $4.99, which is already pretty high, but I hope this was just a pricing mistake or something.[/QUOTE]

I find that a lot of thrift stores are up on ebay prices now. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but they usually have crap for games anyway.

I know Not Tested usually does mean broken, but I once picked up a Casio keyboard (dated 1984!) from a thrift store, and it was labeled Not Tested. I took it home an put batteries in it, and it worked fine, and still works to this day. That was two years ago, and come to think of it, I haven't had to change the batteries yet. Thank goodness, it takes six fucking C cells.

Good day at Goodwill today, it looked like someone recently turned in a bunch of Video Games at once as they had a pretty good selection, nothing too spectacular, but I walked out with

PS2:

God of War
God of War 2 (Both Greatest Hits)
Hot Shots Golf Fore

Genesis:

X-Men (Loose)

SNES:

Scooby Doo Mysteries (This one is actually a really good game)

All for 3 dollars each. The PS2 games were in surprisingly good shape. I've been hearing for a long time that the God of War games are really good, so I'm glad to finally be able to try them.

Got these today at Value Village:

Final Fantasy VII GH (PS1) - 7.99
Ninja Gaiden III (NES) - 6.99

Yeah the FFVII is actually the GH version, it just has the black label front insert for whatever reason. They also had Ninja Gaiden II and SMB2 for the NES for 4.99 and 6.99 respectively that I was kinda thinking about picking up, but I went to look at something else for 2 minutes and they were gone when I came back, oh well.

Bases Loaded II (With Clear Plastic Case & Manual)
Black Bass, The (With Clear Plastic Case & Manual)
Magmax
Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt (With Clear Plastic Case & Manual)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (With Clear Plastic Case)

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (SNES)

.75 each after 50% off. All NES except for MMPR. Was mostly interested in the clear snap cases.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I find that a lot of thrift stores are up on ebay prices now. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but they usually have crap for games anyway.

I know Not Tested usually does mean broken, but I once picked up a Casio keyboard (dated 1984!) from a thrift store, and it was labeled Not Tested. I took it home an put batteries in it, and it worked fine, and still works to this day. That was two years ago, and come to think of it, I haven't had to change the batteries yet. Thank goodness, it takes six fucking C cells.[/QUOTE]

I take it there was no place to plug in an AC adapter? If there is, you could probably buy a generic power adapter from Radio Shack for $5-6 and be able to skip the batteries altogether.

Thing is, I dumped a Casio keyboard my family got me when I was like 12-13 for $20-25 to some neighbor of my one buddies' nephew. It was probably worth around $120 or so but I never used the damn thing. Too bad this was before the advent of Craigslist and the internet or I could've been offered at least $15:roll:(due to lowballing aholes).

I also dumped a 'Darth Vader' Atari 2600 and about 40-50 carts for around $10-15 about the same time. Leave it up to me to sell the valuable Atari system and keep the pos wood grain one.:roll:

Couldn't find the goodwill thread anymore :whistle2:#

Picked up a few things up there today.

Pokemon Stadium and Turok for 1.99 each, for playing/nostalgia reasons.

Also got an awesome TimeWarner book, Cannibals and Evil Cult Killers.

Hit up the local Goodwill and came away with Lenny Kravitz's "It Is Time For A Love Revolution" for $3. They had a Wavebird without the receiver and a stack of Cube games for $10 a piece. Super Mario Sunshine & Mario Kart Double Dash were the only ones of note. $10 for Tiger Woods 2003!? Bitch, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back