The Toys R Us Clearance Thread: Itz now da Summa 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothic Walrus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
With blessings from the big man himself...

The Toys R US clearance deals, much like the Target ones, are very YMMV. As a result of that - and the fact that the board is currently littered with TRU clearance sales - it's time to try something new.

The CAG Toys R Us Clearance Thread

The goal is to have this thread modeled after the current Target clearance thread (and its predecessor), so the basic rules are the same...

When posting what you have found, please note the location that you found it at, example:

Philadelphia, PA
Snyder Plaza

Game Name, System, Price

-----
This thread is for Clearance deals, not sale items or raincheck "scams"
Please Post City, State and Store (If City has many stores), game, system and price

Keep extraneous discussion to a minimum, as posts not pretating to clearance deals may be deleted by the mod crew.

-----
[quote name='shrike4242']If you hunt around through the forums and look for posts by tubtub and benboxer (our resident TRU folk), they've said that any TRU price ending in .98 can be a "variable" price, where one store has it for 5.98, while another has it for 7.98 and another for 3.98. The .98 is a "regional" price, for lack of a better term. Anything ending in .95 and .99 are chain-wide, from what I've seen from them.[/quote]

That should do it for the first post. Good luck, everyone!

[quote name='shipwreck'][quote name='Zon27'][quote name='PhrostByte'][quote name='Purkeynator']I stopped by Toys R Us briefly on my lunch break and noticed the person working the R Zone with a handheld green tagger tagging games for what he said was a new Green Tag Sale. I only had a few minutes to rummage through the two shopping carts and look out on the shelves. I saw mostly Playstation games such as the Tomb Raiders, Wrestlemania for the Gamecube, NFL 2k2 for PS2, Atari Anthology for $3, Black and Bruised for Gamecube to name a few I saw. These games with green tags are going to be 70% off. I also picked up a recently reduced Soul Calibur 2 guide for $2, Max Payne 2 and Donkey Kong Country guides that were pennied out. I plan to go back after work and see what else has been green tagged because the sales associate was not done tagging.[/quote]

Atari Anthology for $3 new? Me want....[/quote]

Sadly this is probably just one of the shitty stores that has really crappy employees who don't know what a green tag looks like...and people wonder why TRU is struggling with business....[/quote]

The PC version of Atari Anthology was $3 at my local TRU. Could have been a pricing mistake on the PS2 version.[/quote]

Most likely, I haven't seen this under $19.99 anywhere ($15 with GGC but I don't want to spend that much)

One of the CSRs informed me yesterday that TRU is no longer doing price matches on video games. Is this old news or a recent development? (I hope he was just misinformed, or I'll take my business elsewhere if this is the case)

[quote name='Zon27'][quote name='peloquin17'][quote name='Adstone'][quote name='peloquin17']

the 2 TRUs that i went to both had psone screens but they were scanning at approx $54[/quote]

I work at a TRU is Paramus, NJ and our psone screens also scan at around $54. Does anyone have their receipt from buying a cheap screen at TRU that they could scan. I'm trying to find out how TRU mark down policies work. We have a really cool manager at our store that I can talk to.[/quote]

yup that was the one in paramus. not sure if it was the one on 17 or 4. my buddy went, and called me at work when he was there.

the way the manager explained it was...

certain TRUs have an allocated $ amount that they are allowed to mark down depending on how sales of a particular item sell.

it seems like your store was selling the screens pretty well, therefore, no markdown.

another TRU i went to was selling the psone+screen combo for $39.99

they were prolly selling none of them. at the same time, that store is in the middle of nowhere.

seems like the farther you go off the beaten path, the better prices you get.[/quote]

It's not a store by store allocation...it's a regional thing. Most of the game will be around the same (within a few bucks based on sales). But like for example... my store (Culver City) in the computer I searched for La Purcelle Tactics (listed at $29.99) yesterday because I want one. My store ofcourse does not have a copy....I call the two closest stores that listed them in the system (West Los Angeles), they are idiots and say they don't have it. Then I call Hawthorne and they tell me they have it and it scans at $29.99 much to my dismay. So I called the Bakerfield store they have it as well but also for $29.99....

So I'm pretty sure things are universalized that way. I'm not sure if it's a regional thing or district thing though. Some oddities occur I'm sure. YMMV in some cases ofcourse.[/quote]

I believe the potential price levels are set universally, but which level a product drops to is decided on a store-by-store basis. A couple of the Nashville stores had the screens at the $35 level, one Nashville store may still have a screen left (it was $60-something when last I checked), and the Murfreesboro store (just outside of Nashville) had them for around $16.

PrivatePixel: I wasn't aware that TRU had been doing PMing. I know they don't PM other TRUs. They do, however allow one to return with receipt merchandise bought from one TRU to another TRU for the original price paid. They also then allow one to re-buy that merchandise at their own price. A bit of a hassle, but worth it to save ~$20/screen.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Most likely, I haven't seen this under $19.99 anywhere ($15 with GGC but I don't want to spend that much)[/quote]

I found a $5 copy at the last CC sale sometime in mid-2004. Unfortunately, their asking price has gone up slightly since then.

got some more stuff last night and this afternoon...

I dont have the receipt with me, so i cant remember the exact prices on some of the stuff

Last night
MGS 2 Substance Xbox $5-6 ?
Siren PS2 $7-8 ?
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance PS2 $5?
Xenosaga PS2 $5

Today (i have the rec. for these)
Pokemon Puzzle League N64 $9
Fatal Frame 2 PS2 $10.98
Metal Arms Xbox $6

all my TRU's have jack squat and at higher prices...siren was 13...and the penny guides that should have rang up at .01 didn't...:whistle2:(

I call the two closest stores that listed them in the system (West Los Angeles), they are idiots and say they don't have it. Then I call Hawthorne and they tell me they have it and it scans at $29.99 much to my dismay. So I called the Bakerfield store they have it as well but also for $29.99....

Holy cow, you are checking for games at the Bakersfield store!? That's like 2 hrs away. I live in Bako and we only have one TRU so back off man! :) J/K Let me know if you find something in stock at the Bakersfiled store and maybe we can work something out. Maybe you will find something in your TRU's that I am looking for.....

my near toys r us
1080' (GC) 11.98 also
sword of mana (gba) 11.98 and
mojo 2.99
mad maestro 2.99
takken tag gh ver 2.99
defender 2.99

i bought all thin.. i cant pass 2.99 deal...

Quick question: Do discounted games at TRU scan for the lower amount if you use one of the price check stations or do they have to be rung up and totaled?

I was just at a TRU which had a "discounted games" table and it had one of the GBA Castlevania games with a sale sticker for $21 and Fire Emblem with a sale sticker for $28. I'd read people were buying that one for $10-12 and this store's "sale price" was $28, which is what it came up as when I scanned it and when I brought it to the register. Am I just out of luck?

[quote name='govegan']Quick question: Do discounted games at TRU scan for the lower amount if you use one of the price check stations or do they have to be rung up and totaled?

I was just at a TRU which had a "discounted games" table and it had one of the GBA Castlevania games with a sale sticker for $21 and Fire Emblem with a sale sticker for $28. I'd read people were buying that one for $10-12 and this store's "sale price" was $28, which is what it came up as when I scanned it and when I brought it to the register. Am I just out of luck?[/quote]

Yes. TRU clearance sales are YMMV.

Decided to check out some of these, here's what I picked up (all XB):

MGS2 - 4.48 (green tag sale, even though my TRU decided not to actually green tag any of the items)
Unreal 2 - 7.48
Tenchu - 7.98

Devil May Cry and RE:CV for PS2 were 6 each. I really wanted Metal Arms and Bomberman Generations, but they said that both games had been out of stock for a long time. Funny thing is that, as a relatively novice CAG, I heard a little bit about the Room Zoom trade in disaster for FYE. I had never seen it during any of the TRU sales I went to, but today, there was one copy. It was priced at 19.99, but I figured that maybe it would come up as a sale item. Of course, it did not. Can anyone let me in on where and when this game was so cheap and why it isnt now?

I bought something today that was green tagged at 70% off. Tomorrow everything goes to 90%.

Anyone know if I can get a refund?

[quote name='Strell']I bought something today that was green tagged at 70% off. Tomorrow everything goes to 90%.

Anyone know if I can get a refund?[/quote]

Why don't you just return and re-buy?

Xbox:
Beyond Good & Evil: $2.00
Shenmue II: $2.00
Legends of Wrestling 2: $1.99

GameCube:
Turok: Evolution: $1.00
(They also had Eternal Darkness for $3.50)

PlayStation 2:
Black & Bruised: $3.00
Mojo: $1.00
Dr. Muto: $2.00

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']Can't wait to check out my TRU's again to see what they still have as green tags![/quote]

Dont worry about it, i go to CCSU and i was just at the west farm one today =). From what i remember they have

Maximo AoZ: 10.98
Beyond Good and Evil PS2: 3.98(i think i bought the last one)
XII 3.98
Hitman 2 GH PS2: like 5.98
Sword of Mana gba: 13.98
Turok Xbox: 2.98
Bloodrayne 2(xbox and i think cube): 3.98
Drake 99 dragons xbox: 3.98
Trivial Pursuit: 9.98

thats all i can remember man. I dont know how to get to the manchester one but there is one in my hometown of waterford CT so ill post that when i go down this weekend, if you want something let me know since ill be back up in New Britain on monday

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy I believe is now $2.00 at TRU. (or at least it rang up as that at my local TRU)... sounded like it came down the pipeline yesterday

ahh I checked mine today a bunch of NHL Pros, dreamcast games, eternal darkness and many Primals, didn't bother to scan others.

[quote name='SackAttack']You sure that's Bloodrayne 2? Or is it the first Bloodrayne?[/quote]

It's got be the first game since he said Cube too! BR2 didn't come out on the Cube.

at mine, i had them scan a few that others have said were "green tagged" so i presume that as far as selection of games this is YMMV

question for anyone who's been to EB recently and maybe knows.....I didn't see Mojo for XB on the exclusion list, anyone know?

Heads up to anyone who bought a PSone/LCD combo at TRU. I went back last week with my receipt and the PSone combo still sealed and asked them for a price adjustment -- I originally paid $54. The price had dropped to $18 so she credited me $36.

This past saturday is saw three copies of Sword of Mana (GBA) at the TRU in Waterbury CT. They were red-tagged at 9.98

I also saw three copies of Fire Emblem (GBA) at the Newington store.

I guess just like most sales around here it pays to get in early. I went by my local TRU store today, and every sign, clearance game, accessory, etc. from the sale had been removed. You'd never know anything like the 90% off sale had taken place if you hadn't seen or read about it earlier.

I just went to tru today, found nothing. :cry: I did find two la pucelle tactics on clearance for $15 though and found some copies of Castlevania aria of sorrow.

[quote name='jshorr']question for anyone who's been to EB recently and maybe knows.....I didn't see Mojo for XB on the exclusion list, anyone know?[/quote]

Had one scanned yesterday at EB and it came up as PO, so it looks like it's not on the exclusion list.

I work at a TRU in Central PA. I bought a $50 dvd player for $20 and Eternal Darkness $50 for $4.77. I usually know first hand when games are green tagged. I work in the R' Zone department and I just had a guy buy over 30 PS2 and XBOX titles combined for about $53! About 3/4 of the titles were the same! People need not to pass this up!

Score! After going to several TRUs and finding nothing, my local TRU dumped a ton of green tags onto the shelves: $2 Red Faction II, $1 HSX Racing, $1 Star Wars Racing, $1.50 Primal, $3 Legends of Wrestling, the list goes on and on. So if you don't see any deals on the shelves, just remember to check constantly (and leave some for everybody else).

[quote name='Gosha']Anyone know how much Skygunner currently is at Toy's "R" Us, I've been looking at picking up a copy.[/quote]

Yeah,mine had it for $5. I bought for trade fodder at GR and te value was $17. It helped me preorder Doom 3:Collectors Edition

I have a copy of Skygunner I might be interested in selling or trading.. however I don't really have many games I'd be interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back