Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
iconamazon.gif
Amazon
Consoles* Amazon did not take preorders, see note.
Games

iconbestbuy.gif
Best Buy
Consoles Both models sold out online & in store
Games

icongs_r1.gif
Gamestop
Games

icontoysrus_r1.gif
Toys R Us
Games

icontarget.gif
Target
Games

iconwalmart_r3.gif
Walmart
Consoles
Wii U Bundle Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Wii U Deluxe Sold out online & in store
Wii U Basic Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Games

Sears
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken

kmart.gif
Kmart
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in-store pre-orders were not taken

newegg.gif
Newegg
Deluxe Bundle Bundled with New Super Mario Bros U, Black Ops 2, and Zombi U-Out of Stock
Games

iconplayasia.gif
Play-Asia
Consoles/Games Reservation List Only for NTSC Basic & Deluxe models

Fry's Electronics
Consoles Both models sold out online
Games

Staples
Games

J&R
Consoles Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location.
Games

Nebraska Furniture Mart
Accessories
Games

:hot:Nintendo World Store
Consoles: Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location in NYC.

Notes:

• Newegg, as of now (Friday before launch) is selling the deluxe console as a bundle only. It is listed for immediate shipping, not as a pre-order.

• *Amazon email sent out to those who signed up for Wii U pre-order notification:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank for you signing up to be notified when the Wii U is available.
Unfortunately the Wii U console is not available at Amazon.com at this time but please check back in the future, as availability may change. We do have the latest Wii U games and accessories available now so check them out. Thank you for shopping with Amazon Video Games.
System Information

YWbCj.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bojay1997']Not sure what you're talking about, but the 360 and the PS2 were both difficult to find for at least the first holiday season of release. There's also no evidence Nintendo will overproduce and given the demand already, it seems as though it will be hard to find for a while, especially since it's a little too close to release to massively ramp up production for launch.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Also, Nintendo will have an entire year to sell the Wii U before the 720 is released. The time frame provides a large window to keep pushing the unit throughout the year. Hence it is better to release it early with a limited number of consoles than to release it later with a greater qty.

[quote name='kerouac kid']I agree with this. Also, Nintendo will have an entire year to sell the Wii U before the 720 is released. The time frame provides a large window to keep pushing the unit throughout the year. Hence it is better to release it early with a limited number of consoles than to release it later with a greater qty.[/QUOTE]

you honestly think microsoft's next console will be out by next year? if it was that close, they would have shown something at e3. if the first time we see it is next e3, it probably won't release until 2014.

[quote name='unclenebber']There's no evidence that the Wii U will have a production shortage. The Wii shortage was due to an underestimation of demand. Once they realized the demand was so high there was a chip shortage. It's very likely people will be able to walk into a store and buy a Wii U within a week of release.

It seems some people have only been paying attention to console releases this last generation, and think that having to wait for months to get your console is the norm. It's actually been quite rare, historically.[/QUOTE]

Have we got an update about this situation from earlier in the week?

Chinese Factory Producing Parts for Wii U Closes Due to Anti-Japanese Demonstrations
Mxhwfl.jpg

3xFF8l.jpg

Translation of article by a NeoGAF poster
Due to the expanding anti-Japanese demonstrations against shops and factories related to Japanese businesses in China, electronics makers and distribution companies have closed up some of their factories and shops for September 16th due to damages caused by the demonstrations.

Major electronics parts producer Mitsumi Electronics has announced that due to damage caused by the demonstrations including arson-related damage, they will suspend operations at their Aoshima factory until the 18th. Because the extent of the damage is not fully known, it is currently undecided if they will be able to resume business on the 19th.

This factory produces parts for Nintendo game consoles, among other things. Panasonic also had damage issues with their factories/etc and have suspended three of their factories until the 18th.

What specific parts does Mitsumi Electronics manufacture for the Wii U? Did they open back up? I haven't heard anything about this issue since the 16th.

Is it a non issue now almost a week later?

300k-400k consoles were made available for preorder, and Nintendo has yet to start manufacturing them according to http://www.examiner.com/article/analysts-300k-to-400k-wii-us-for-pre-order-nintendo-managing-supply-chain

[quote name='Drclaw411']300k-400k consoles were made available for preorder, and Nintendo has yet to start manufacturing them according to http://www.examiner.com/article/ana...-for-pre-order-nintendo-managing-supply-chain[/QUOTE]

"Meanwhile, Michael Pachter of Wedbush Securities estimates that Nintendo allocated only 300,000 to 400,000 Wii U consoles for pre-orders and may have not even begun mass manufacturing yet."

Keywords here is "MAY HAVE NOT"
And this is based on no pictures being leaked of the manufacturing process.
And it's coming from Pachter.

I just came from Toys R Us, and saw the pre-order tickets there. Picked up 2, and went to the register.

Rang up as $999.99 each. Cashier calls manager and he says, "Its because they are all sold out on pre-orders. Just come the day of release we should have extra"

I had victory right in my hands...

[quote name='thepoetvd776']I just came from Toys R Us, and saw the pre-order tickets there. Picked up 2, and went to the register.

Rang up as $999.99 each. Cashier calls manager and he says, "Its because they are all sold out on pre-orders. Just come the day of release we should have extra"

I had victory right in my hands...[/QUOTE]

And this is why Toys R Us is like shopping at a third world country.

To the person who says there's no evidence or reason to believe that the Wii U won't be sitting on shelves and ready for walk-up consumer purchase a week after it releases, and says that these shortages have been rare, historically:

Not only did the 360 and Wii have shortage issues early on, but as others have pointed out, so did the PS2. The first issue of the Nintendo DS was somewhat-tricky to come by back in 2004, and the first Gameboy Advance quickly sold out when it was released. I don't remember the N64 console having shortage issues, but strangely (and I have not seen this since), the games themselves were nowhere to be found in the weeks following the launch. The Gamecube and XBox were briefly in high demand and somewhat tough to find, too.

To say that there is no reason to believe a console that has been relatively under-anticipated, which quickly sells through pre-orders in seemingly all retailers, that comes from a company that has a history of launch window shortage problems, and will be releasing the weekend before Black Friday, will most likely be available one week after release (or even readily available at any point in the holiday season) seems a little bit of a reach, to me.

I just can't decide if i even want one or not, i've almost never played the wii. i'd see a game and be like "oh i'd like to play that" and then they would release a ps3 or 360 game i was much more interested in.

GameStop is offering a waiting list feature now. There is a 'waiting list' sku for each of the console variations (white/black) You have to be a power up reward member (just free version) to get on the list. The clerk just scans your card, puts in the sku for the waiting list you want to be on, and it'll print out a little blurb on the receipt. you'll get an email/call when there is one available for you.

[quote name='unclenebber']There's no evidence that the Wii U will have a production shortage. [/QUOTE]
You mean, esides the fact the head relations of NoA said they were having production issues?

Google Wii U gamepad production

[quote name='unclenebber']There's no evidence that the Wii U will have a production shortage. The Wii shortage was due to an underestimation of demand. Once they realized the demand was so high there was a chip shortage. It's very likely people will be able to walk into a store and buy a Wii U within a week of release.

It seems some people have only been paying attention to console releases this last generation, and think that having to wait for months to get your console is the norm. It's actually been quite rare, historically.[/QUOTE]

It's not very likely or very unlikely. You have NO idea.

[quote name='jms5118']I just can't decide if i even want one or not, i've almost never played the wii. i'd see a game and be like "oh i'd like to play that" and then they would release a ps3 or 360 game i was much more interested in.[/QUOTE]

For me it was the same way, but I just got tired of playing games in standard definition. It wasn't game selection, it did ultimately boil down to the graphics for me. That won't happen this generation. Yes, there will still be a gap once nextbox and ps4 come out, but it will be much less pronounced and it'll go back to just being which game will be more fun or what i'm in the mood for at the time.

[quote name='mr.ratburn']New launch day list:

Oh, and:

250mt7d.png

...it might as well be called that with all the ubi launch titles for it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah like I said why does amazon and newegg show 12/4 and this website shows launch day?

[quote name='JaylisJayP']For me it was the same way, but I just got tired of playing games in standard definition. It wasn't game selection, it did ultimately boil down to the graphics for me. That won't happen this generation. Yes, there will still be a gap once nextbox and ps4 come out, but it will be much less pronounced and it'll go back to just being which game will be more fun or what i'm in the mood for at the time.[/QUOTE]

Not even gonna lie, after using HD for everything, it was really hard to play through a Wii game. I know some of the emulators out there can play Wii titles in HD, hoping Nintendo allows this on the Wii U though I doubt it

[quote name='thebytewasbit']Does anyone know if first party Nintendo games have ever been available on Redbox or just third party?[/QUOTE]

Redbox's site lists first party Nintendo titles as being available.

The Wii U version of Black Ops 2 is very underrated. You and a friend could be playing at the same time, but using different screens, it's insane. If you are a huge COD fan like myself, the Wii U version is the one to own. It is almost exclusive worthy and a huge reason to own the console. Hopefully Nintendo advertises this.

[quote name='thepoetvd776']I just came from Toys R Us, and saw the pre-order tickets there. Picked up 2, and went to the register.

I had victory right in my hands...[/QUOTE]

You should have paid the $999.99 and see what happens.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']None of the "before the end of 2012" games interest me. Was hoping Lego City would've made that list.[/QUOTE]

This game better not disappoint.

[quote name='Thrinn']Redbox's site lists first party Nintendo titles as being available.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I might Redbox or gamefly some Wii U games upon launch.

[quote name='thebytewasbit']Thanks! I might Redbox or gamefly some Wii U games upon launch.[/QUOTE]

I am expecting at least one Wii U game being $30 on Black Friday. Hopefully Zombi U.

Edit - sorry for the double post.

[quote name='thebytewasbit']I am expecting at least one Wii U game being $30 on Black Friday. Hopefully Zombi U.

Edit - sorry for the double post.[/QUOTE]

My vote's on Jeopardy.

[quote name='ral1121']The Wii U version of Black Ops 2 is very underrated. You and a friend could be playing at the same time, but using different screens, it's insane. If you are a huge COD fan like myself, the Wii U version is the one to own. It is almost exclusive worthy and a huge reason to own the console. Hopefully Nintendo advertises this.[/QUOTE]
Not at all

With the Wii's awful online and Nintendo not saying jack about the Wii U's service all online games are a gamble at this point.

Wii U's Online could be amazing and it still wouldn't matter because most of the COD people will still just play on 360 because thats where all their friends are.

[quote name='Deader2818']Wii U's Online could be amazing and it still wouldn't matter because most of the COD people will still just play on 360 because thats where all their friends are.[/QUOTE]

Did this apply with pc games in the 90s?

[quote name='ral1121']The Wii U version of Black Ops 2 is very underrated. You and a friend could be playing at the same time, but using different screens, it's insane. If you are a huge COD fan like myself, the Wii U version is the one to own. It is almost exclusive worthy and a huge reason to own the console. Hopefully Nintendo advertises this.[/QUOTE]

Who would want to play COD on the small wii u gamepad screen instead of an hdtv?

[quote name='doodofdoods']Who would want to play COD on the small wii u gamepad screen instead of an hdtv?[/QUOTE]

People that are not miserable, but well endowed , and not cheaters. Haters gonna hate

[quote name='Linkgx1']People that are not miserable, but well endowed , and not cheaters. Haters gonna hate[/QUOTE]

Does hating on a hater in turn make one a hater? Or is there a weird loop hole??

i just pre order the deluxe edition
i left it in the check out window i just had to select submit
so i got a email to today from best buy if i still wanted to complete my order
it said i should be expecting the delivery on 11/16/12 thats weird

[quote name='Xuchilbara']Does hating on a hater in turn make one a hater? Or is there a weird loop hole??[/QUOTE]
I'm just keepin' it real.

[quote name='milehighshooter']i just pre order the deluxe edition
it said i should be expecting the delivery on 11/16/12 thats weird[/QUOTE]

Curses!

Just a thought on shortages. Typically, don't companies not make very much on the consoles and sell them relatively close to their cost at launch? It would make sense for them to be relatively conservative with production numbers since they could take a huge bath if demand isn't as expected or a production/design flaw emerges and they have to recall (I guess Microsoft ignored that... but it's bad press at least).

[quote name='vcplant']Just a thought on shortages. Typically, don't companies not make very much on the consoles and sell them relatively close to their cost at launch? It would make sense for them to be relatively conservative with production numbers since they could take a huge bath if demand isn't as expected or a production/design flaw emerges and they have to recall (I guess Microsoft ignored that... but it's bad press at least).[/QUOTE]

But Nintendo makes a profit in every console

[quote name='vcplant']Just a thought on shortages. Typically, don't companies not make very much on the consoles and sell them relatively close to their cost at launch? It would make sense for them to be relatively conservative with production numbers since they could take a huge bath if demand isn't as expected or a production/design flaw emerges and they have to recall (I guess Microsoft ignored that... but it's bad press at least).[/QUOTE]

And Nintendo makes the most reliable/durable consoles.

More consoles sold = more software sales = more profit. They'll ship as many as they can build before Christmas.

Just got a cancellation notice from Target - email says there was a problem with your order. They are not open until 11AM CST for me to find out why. It was for the deluxe.

PSA: Amazon is now finally showing Wii U Black Ops 2 for pre-order, and is also offering free release day delivery (Nov 19).

[quote name='milehighshooter']i just pre order the deluxe edition
it said i should be expecting the delivery on 11/16/12 thats weird[/QUOTE]

this was fast i just got backorder o well i think im just going to cancel my order!:bs:

So if you haven't put down a preorder for a Deluxe what's your best bet of scoring one launch day? I preordered the Basic but want the Deluxe.

[quote name='JAlbertL']So if you haven't put down a preorder for a Deluxe what's your best bet of scoring one launch day? I preordered the Basic but want the Deluxe.[/QUOTE]

Waiting in line at a Walmart/Target/Kmart/Toys R Us/Best Buy. Not at a GameStop because they tend to have none for walk ins when it comes to console launches.

You could get on a wait list at GS or Play-Asia but those don't ensure release day consoles.

[quote name='tomwaits1']And Nintendo makes the most reliable/durable consoles.

More consoles sold = more software sales = more profit. They'll ship as many as they can build before Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Nintendo builds consoles with heavy family use in mind. Consoles I've had break on me: 2 PSXs, 2 PS2s, 1 PSP, 1 360, 1 Dreamcast. If you want to consider replacing the 72-pin connector in my original NES breaking, well, I had an NES break...but that's to be expected. I believe at one point Nintendo even stated that they went with the GC discs because they wanted something that could be abused and stepped on and still work. While everyone knows that Nintendo loves proprietary media and that was the real reason for not doing DVDs, even their Wii DVDs are extra durable. With a few exceptions (DS Lite hinges come to mind), you're paying for quality hardware when you buy a Nintendo product.

Heck, I think everyone was expecting a nightmare with the gamecube loader mechanism in the Wii, and I don't know anyone who has had an issue with it yet.

Our Wii did die on us last fal.. the repair cost was $100 at that time, plus of course shipping it to them. That was still cheaper than replacing it at that point in time though.

We were hoping to just replace our Wii with the new Wii U, but not being able to play the gamecube games we are keeping means we'll still have to hang onto it for the foreseeable future, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back