Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
iconamazon.gif
Amazon
Consoles* Amazon did not take preorders, see note.
Games

iconbestbuy.gif
Best Buy
Consoles Both models sold out online & in store
Games

icongs_r1.gif
Gamestop
Games

icontoysrus_r1.gif
Toys R Us
Games

icontarget.gif
Target
Games

iconwalmart_r3.gif
Walmart
Consoles
Wii U Bundle Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Wii U Deluxe Sold out online & in store
Wii U Basic Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Games

Sears
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken

kmart.gif
Kmart
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in-store pre-orders were not taken

newegg.gif
Newegg
Deluxe Bundle Bundled with New Super Mario Bros U, Black Ops 2, and Zombi U-Out of Stock
Games

iconplayasia.gif
Play-Asia
Consoles/Games Reservation List Only for NTSC Basic & Deluxe models

Fry's Electronics
Consoles Both models sold out online
Games

Staples
Games

J&R
Consoles Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location.
Games

Nebraska Furniture Mart
Accessories
Games

:hot:Nintendo World Store
Consoles: Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location in NYC.

Notes:

• Newegg, as of now (Friday before launch) is selling the deluxe console as a bundle only. It is listed for immediate shipping, not as a pre-order.

• *Amazon email sent out to those who signed up for Wii U pre-order notification:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank for you signing up to be notified when the Wii U is available.
Unfortunately the Wii U console is not available at Amazon.com at this time but please check back in the future, as availability may change. We do have the latest Wii U games and accessories available now so check them out. Thank you for shopping with Amazon Video Games.
System Information

YWbCj.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2 times I camped out for a Wii, I was the very last person to get one. Felt bad for the other people waiting just behind me. Most went on to buy other stuff. The best one was when I called Walmart one time and happened to walk up there to buy the last one. Even though I resold the Wii's I bought, I did donate one to a children's hospital to keep some good karma. lol

I was told by best buy representative that not all customers are guaranteed a system and thats at any store....now mind you best buy is not doing a midnight release at least in my area but i will be there 10 or 11 am whatever time they open november 18th

[quote name='prmtyme']I was told by best buy representative that not all customers are guaranteed a system and thats at any store....now mind you best buy is not doing a midnight release at least in my area but i will be there 10 or 11 am whatever time they open november 18th[/QUOTE]

So does that apply to preorders too? I was in there the other day and they said they would set preorders aside?

I hope its not too late to pre-order at BestBuy or Gamestop. Going to attempt to pre-order later this week.

I'll be fine if I can't though since I will most likely get bored of it and resell it but still.

I just hope that during launch there is 100's of people in line trying to get the console that didn't pre-order it.

^ I hate to tell you, but you are a few weeks too late, especially for Gamestop. And it looks like Best Buy has at least stopped taking preorders. It could be that what that rep meant wasn't that they were cancelling people's existing preorders but that they were cancelling the notion of taking more preorders. At this point they probably realize they want the systems in the store to get people to come in (and buy other stuff when they can't get a Wii U).

[quote name='spmahn']I'm calling BS on this, 600 people in line outside a TRU would be a damn near riot, the Police would have shut the store down. There were not 600 people in line waiting for a Wii anywhere, ever. Wii was available of the shelf beginning with the second shipment. They didn't become hard to get until maybe a week or two before Christmas, but they weren't selling for anything close to a premium.[/QUOTE]

Wow - you must have lived in an alternative universe. While the hysteria over the Wii didn't pick up till December, they were definitely sold out before that. When GS had preorders you had to camp out jsut to get the preorder. They announced it a little more ahead of time back then. I'm so glad it kind of slipped under the radar with the Wii U and I was able to go in at 11 am the first day and get one no problem.

And they sure as hell sold for a premium through Christmas and well beyond. They were selling for about double retail even on eBay (which was flooded with them) through most of December.

[quote name='Paladinion']Shortly after we were led into the store...all 200 or so of us and asked to gather around the electronics department. We were told they had 10 Wiis in stock...by now I could taste Zelda. Then my world came crashing down....in the name of "fairness" she told us that she will be pulling 10 numbers out of a bin and that those people would be getting a console. I was devastated but the people who waited in line in front of me, i still remember the look on his face when he said "F*** me...".[/QUOTE]

I couldn't tell you how angry this would have made me if I was in line for 4-5 hours. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. What they should have done was come out around 9-10 and let people in line know they only had 10 so the people who came later didn't waste their time. Instead they made 200 people waste various amounts of time, then crammed them into the store, and then let (most of) them down? That manager would have been fired on the spot if I was her boss.

As for GS preorders, as others have said, they should be pretty solid. They took so few of them just so that they can fulfill them The Wii launch went just fine 6 years ago. And that was also a Sunday launch, right? They definitely did the midnight thing then. I have fond memories of picking up that system and setting it up late at night to show the family the next day. Those were innocent days when Miis were shiny and new and playing old Mario (Virtual Console) games on the TV was a cool new concept.

Don't forget that GS has tons of experience with preorders (much to the annoyance of many customers ;)) and knows how to do them. Chances are some local manager won't pull some BS like that Kmart manager and in the interest of "fairness" just start handing out everyone's preorders to whoever walks in the door. Preorders are GS's bread and butter a least with respect to new products (used games are obviously their primary money-maker). They will do all they can not to screw that up - otherwise who would preorder anything from them again?

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']The 2 times I camped out for a Wii, I was the very last person to get one. Felt bad for the other people waiting just behind me. Most went on to buy other stuff. The best one was when I called Walmart one time and happened to walk up there to buy the last one. Even though I resold the Wii's I bought, I did donate one to a children's hospital to keep some good karma. lol[/QUOTE]

Imagine their relief after they actually played the Wii and exclaimed, "What a hype machine! This things sucks ass!"

Luckily for Nintendo there are enough people that haven't learned a hard enough lesson from the first Wii that they are willing to gamble on the Wii U...that or 6 years time has made their memories a little hazy.

[quote name='jedimario']So does that apply to preorders too? I was in there the other day and they said they would set preorders aside?[/QUOTE]

This was for a preorder of Wii-u. I preordered the basic bundle

[quote name='wyatt8']Imagine their relief after they actually played the Wii and exclaimed, "What a hype machine! This things sucks ass!"

Luckily for Nintendo there are enough people that haven't learned a hard enough lesson from the first Wii that they are willing to gamble on the Wii U...that or 6 years time has made their memories a little hazy.[/QUOTE]

Or, you could not be a fanboy. The Wii ended up being disappointing to a great many people (me included). But for the first year or two it was good for what it was. And even at the end of its life, it still had some great games. Xenoblade Chronicles is top 2 or 3 for me this generation and it was on the lowly Wii.

And maybe some of us have actually played the Wii U and see the potential. At the very least, it is a system on par (if not better) than the oh-so-wonderful PS3/360 but yet will have first-party Nintendo games (finally in HD). And that alone makes it worth a purchase.

If Best Buy opens at 10 am, what do you think would be a good time to get there and line up? An hour before? More?

Sorry, I've never bought a major console day-of release. Thanks.

[quote name='wyatt8']Imagine their relief after they actually played the Wii and exclaimed, "What a hype machine! This things sucks ass!"

Luckily for Nintendo there are enough people that haven't learned a hard enough lesson from the first Wii that they are willing to gamble on the Wii U...that or 6 years time has made their memories a little hazy.[/QUOTE]

We get it. You are poor and cannot afford to buy one. No need to hate one those who can.

I definitely remember the hysteria around the Wii and that is why I pre-ordered a WiiU thru GameStop. I have no problem with the fact that I am going to flip that sucker. In fact, I might even decide to sell it to a CAG for a decent amount below ebay prices but we will cross that bridge later. Anyway, according to a local GameStop employee in Cincinnati, Toys R us was the last retailer that had any WiiU consoles available for pre-order and those are all gone too. I tend to believe him because this was after I pre-ordered the WiiU from him a week earlier.

Awesome just talked to my Gamestop manager. He said he was 100% sure that everyone at his store that pre-ordered is getting one. And considering how long he has been there and how many hookups he has given me, I dont doubt his credibility.

Time to sit back and watch as everyone goes crazy trying to find one

Anyone know what the status is of preorders at local walmart stores? Ours said they did not know arrival date, or quantity, so they are not taking preorders. Sounds like we might get in on the ground floor there, if I can get them to take a preorder.

[quote name='jacknicklson']I would check in 10-12 hours before and look at the line[/QUOTE]
If the Best Buy is close I would check in the afternoon like at 3-4, then about 9pm. If no one is lined up then, then I would suggest maybe like 4-5 AM.

It never hurts to be too cautious.

Nebraska Furniture Mart

Just called and they wouldn't sell one to me since I haven't made a purchase in their store before.
Don't understand why. But both models are available.

Just came back from a gamestop that gets little traffic, to trade in an old ps3, after the trade I was curious and asked about being on the wii u list. The Manager there told me that you can put your name down for one of the wii u bundles and will receive a call when one comes in to let you know. The "bundles" he was referring to were the deluxe and basic. He said it would either cost 349.99 or 299.99

I remember reading that people were sure that gamestop would include forced extras to increase the price of the post pre-order wii u. I know this guy's word is not the end all for gamestop. Just wanted to let people know how it went, I was number 5 on the list, literally hand written on a legal pad, with name, phone number, and type of "wii u bundle" you wanted

[quote name='nightmarishhero']Just came back from a gamestop that gets little traffic, to trade in an old ps3, after the trade I was curious and asked about being on the wii u list. The Manager there told me that you can put your name down for one of the wii u bundles and will receive a call when one comes in to let you know. The "bundles" he was referring to were the deluxe and basic. He said it would either cost 349.99 or 299.99

I remember reading that people were sure that gamestop would include forced extras to increase the price of the post pre-order wii u. I know this guy's word is not the end all for gamestop. Just wanted to let people know how it went, I was number 5 on the list, literally hand written on a legal pad, with name, phone number, and type of "wii u bundle" you wanted[/QUOTE]

Nah man, you were #5 on the list for the day

[quote name='gamerguy73']Nebraska Furniture Mart

Just called and they wouldn't sell one to me since I haven't made a purchase in their store before.
Don't understand why. But both models are available.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the details. I updated the wiki.

[quote name='nightmarishhero']Just came back from a gamestop that gets little traffic, to trade in an old ps3, after the trade I was curious and asked about being on the wii u list. The Manager there told me that you can put your name down for one of the wii u bundles and will receive a call when one comes in to let you know. The "bundles" he was referring to were the deluxe and basic. He said it would either cost 349.99 or 299.99

I remember reading that people were sure that gamestop would include forced extras to increase the price of the post pre-order wii u. I know this guy's word is not the end all for gamestop. Just wanted to let people know how it went, I was number 5 on the list, literally hand written on a legal pad, with name, phone number, and type of "wii u bundle" you wanted[/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound like a pre-order to me. Sounds like some lofty promise to try and get you one if they have any extras beyond the pre-ordered Wii U's, which they stopped taking a day or so after the price and release date were announced for NA.

If I were you I'd have that note and the guys's name and wait it out at that Gamestop on release day. Who knows, you might get lucky.

[quote name='bsesb2003']It's got to be about the WiiU vs the Kindle.[/QUOTE]

I really doubt it. Kindle tablet is completely different than Wii U's gamepad. For starters, their HD model is only $199 -- at a completely different price point from $299 - $349. Wii U's gamepad can only go 20 ish feet away from the console, plenty for gaming, though nothing compared to a 'true' tablet. Also, the Kindle is primarily an e-reader and a general media consumption device, whereas the Wii U is primarily for gaming, with some TV functionality that frankly all modern game systems have (granted, the Wii U extends that). ASUS's tablets and other Android tablets, you know, ACTUAL COMPETITORS TO THE KINDLE, are openly sold by Amazon. The list just goes on and on and I could write paragraphs on how different the Kindle is from the Wii U. Bottom line: it has nothing to do with why the Wii U is not being sold on Amazon.

Although I admit, I don't know why Amazon is not carrying Nintendo consoles anymore, it's probably because of a clash in business policies between the two companies. It could be simply outright refusal of one company to deal with the other for X reason. Also, Nintendo has been reportedly vague on how many systems they are actually shipping, so maybe Amazon's pre-order policy requires more specificity. One last thing it could be is the fact that the console launches on a Sunday, making it impossible for Amazon to provide release-date delivery since "there's no post on Sundays"; though if that were the case, it wouldn't explain why Amazon is not selling other Nintendo consoles.

Personally, I think those two companies need to chill out and come to an agreement. Otherwise it's a missed opportunity for all parties involved. As for Newegg... well, they just copy Amazon when it comes to electronics, so it doesn't come as much surprise. I do have to say, I am a huge fan of their pre-order ($10-$12 off coupons, though!). On a side note, maybe the reason these colossal online retailers are not getting the Wii U is to promote brick-and-mortar retailers--as more B&M retailers have popped up offering the system than previous console launches.

[quote name='mr.ratburn']I really doubt it. Kindle tablet is completely different than Wii U's gamepad. For starters, their HD model is only $199 -- at a completely different price point from $299 - $349. Wii U's gamepad can only go 20 ish feet away from the console, plenty for gaming, though nothing compared to a 'true' tablet. Also, the Kindle is primarily an e-reader and a general media consumption device, whereas the Wii U is primarily for gaming, with some TV functionality that frankly all modern game systems have (granted, the Wii U extends that). ASUS's tablets and other Android tablets, you know, ACTUAL COMPETITORS TO THE KINDLE, are openly sold by Amazon. The list just goes on and on and I could write paragraphs on how different the Kindle is from the Wii U. Bottom line: it has nothing to do with why the Wii U is not being sold on Amazon.

Although I admit, I don't know why Amazon is not carrying Nintendo consoles anymore, it's probably because of a clash in business policies between the two companies. It could be simply outright refusal of one company to deal with the other for X reason. Also, Nintendo has been reportedly vague on how many systems they are actually shipping, so maybe Amazon's pre-order policy requires more specificity. One last thing it could be is the fact that the console launches on a Sunday, making it impossible for Amazon to provide release-date delivery since "there's no post on Sundays"; though if that were the case, it wouldn't explain why Amazon is not selling other Nintendo consoles.

Personally, I think those two companies need to chill out and come to an agreement. Otherwise it's a missed opportunity for all parties involved. As for Newegg... well, they just copy Amazon when it comes to electronics, so it doesn't come as much surprise. I do have to say, I am a huge fan of their pre-order ($10-$12 off coupons, though!). On a side note, maybe the reason these colossal online retailers are not getting the Wii U is to promote brick-and-mortar retailers--as more B&M retailers have popped up offering the system than previous console launches.[/QUOTE]

did you not read the link some1 posted earlier in this thread, it is over the nintendo 3ds

[quote name='Dr. Feel Good']If Best Buy opens at 10 am, what do you think would be a good time to get there and line up? An hour before? More?

Sorry, I've never bought a major console day-of release. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

It depends. Best Buy probably isn't the place to go as they're doing preorders. They might not have any extras. Go to Target or another store that doesn't have preorders or call ahead of time to see how many Wii Us Best Buy got. I remember Gamestop posted a sign on their door saying they didn't have any extra Wiis, so it's possible Best Buy might do something similar.

As far as timing, that also depends. I waited 12 hours for a Wii, but as it turns out I could have gotten there an hour before it opened, when they handed out tickets, to get one. I'd say scope out the line the night before to see how many people are lining up. Probably an hour is too late, I'd say 5-6 at the least but I guess you're never safe unless you're first in line.

Anyone have any suggestions for moving some credit from gamestop to best buy? I have 2 ds lites I just paid $5 on craigslist for and a ps2 slim I got for $3. That's about $120 in gs credit there. Obviously there's no way in hell I'd score a wii u at launch at gs since I couldn't preorder there, but my wii u preorder is at best buy.

Huh? I had a receipt printed out like a typical preorder stating Wii U 32GB WAITLIST. Seems kind of, I guess for a lack of a better word, shady that they only wrote down your name on a pad.

[quote name='Masx']Huh? I had a receipt printed out like a typical preorder stating Wii U 32GB WAITLIST. Seems kind of, I guess for a lack of a better word, shady that they only wrote down your name on a pad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...calling a store, asking if they have it, them saying they don't carry it and never will, and then going there anyway will give you a better chance to get it than a name on a pad.

[quote name='therealdanhill']go there and sleep in your car and set your cell phone to wake you up every hour or so to see if the line is forming[/QUOTE]

LOL...that doesnt work... Nobody in line, sleep, nobobody in line, sleep, oh crap 10 people in line now wtf!

[quote name='Dr. Feel Good']If Best Buy opens at 10 am, what do you think would be a good time to get there and line up? An hour before? More?

I'm guessing 24 hours before opening will get you a console.
I'm guessing 12 hours before opening will be unlikely to get one.

It's likely a small number of people will get there very very early,
and then there will only be a small number of consoles not spoken for.

There are many factors to consider.

It's been 6 years since a new console launch, people are hungry.
The Wii U gets the entire holiday season all to itself.
Pre-orders have likely gobbled up most of the initial stock.
The Wii U will be riding the coat tails of the Wii's success.
Based on the 2005/06 360/PS3/Wii must-have mania craze,
ebayers and flippers will be out in HUGE MASSIVE GIGANTIC numbers this time.
This thread is all the proof that is needed,
as a lot of people have mulitiple pre-orders at mulitple stores.

For the Xbox 360 launch in 2005 at 12:00 pm noon, 12 hours before the midnight launch,
there must have been at least 50 people already in line at my Walmart. I was #4.
A manager who knew they only had 8 consoles to sell, saw the oncoming train wreck,
and handed out tickets to the first 8 people in line at 12:00 pm, 12 hours before the midnight launch.
There was a small angry mob, but it could have been much worst
had they waited another 12 hours and had hundreds of raging people in line.

We got to go home and came back at midnight.
There was a huge crowd waiting there hoping
one of us Golden Ticket holders had some terrible accident and died.

[quote name='gordojones88']For the Xbox 360 launch in 2005 at 12:00 pm noon, 12 hours before the midnight launch,
there must have been at least 50 people already in line at my Walmart. I was #4.
A manager who knew they only had 8 consoles to sell, saw the oncoming train wreck,
and handed out tickets to the first 8 people in line at 12:00 pm, 12 hours before the midnight launch.

one of us Golden Ticket holders had some terrible accident and died.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, what time did you get there? Must have been really early to be 4th in line. I have taken that weekend off so it looks like I will be in line all day.

[quote name='gordojones88']For the Xbox 360 launch in 2005 at 12:00 pm noon, 12 hours before the midnight launch,

one of us Golden Ticket holders had some terrible accident and died.[/QUOTE]

For the PS2 I thought getting to Wally World at 4:50am would have been good enough... Wow was I wrong. First, every store had already given out tickets to a handful of people who had been camping outside since midnight.

Second, many of those people actually heckled myself and my brother when we showed up. Yelling stuff like "buhhh-bye, seeyah" and " hahaha you're late losers" from their tents... I thought wait a second, who are the losers?? lol

Lastly on a whim I decided to check Sears at the mall. I was third in line and they had four. Got a ticket and had to wait from 6am til 9am when doors finally opened.

What was kind of great, was many of the hecklers at the Wally World/Targets we had just left started showing up at around 7am and stood in our line now. Each store had no more than ten at most but around fifty people or so were in the lines so many were still empty handed and dour faced. They called us "the four" and people started showing up from NY, Upstate Mass and RI (it was southeastern CT). "Are you the four?" they would ask and we would nod. Then we asked where they were from and they'd say NY or wherever, holy crap.

People still stood in the line even though Sears specifically stated only four would be sold to us. They contemplated giving us security after we purchased them "due to a cabbage patch kids debacle" years before, haha.

Oh the memories... and the horror.

[quote name='AgentSquishy']Just out of curiosity, what time did you get there? Must have been really early to be 4th in line. I have taken that weekend off so it looks like I will be in line all day.[/QUOTE]

I got there at 9:00 am.
The line filled up really fast after people woke up, ate breakfast,
and went to get in line, almost all at the same time apparently.
It's some sort of mob mentality.

Guys would come strolling into the store grinning,
ready to wait in line for 12 hours to get their Xbox 360.
Within seconds, they hear all the tickets are long gone,
and the look of horror on their face as they realize
they have seriously miscalculated how many other people
would get there before them, and they've blown their chance.

That's why in this pre-order thread, people were seriously
freaking out about making sure they get one.
There are few guarantees with a console launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad I have all of my games and accessories pre-ordered through newegg. Now I can just finish paying for the system and pick it up on the 18th at Gamestop. I'll leave all the drama stories for you guys to tell me afterwards :)

[quote name='advanced']Yeah, it is. But it's the Wii U thread in the Game Deals forum, not the Selling/Trading forum.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, $5,000 for getting the Wii-U 2 days early is pretty tempting, even if it is the wrong forum.

[quote name='Raxar']Hey guys,

So if anyone is interested in receiving the Wii-U Deluxe + New Super Mario Bros. BEFORE release day, like 2-5 days before to be exact I've listed an auction on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221135341148[/QUOTE]

So let me guess, you work at a department store and 2-5 days before the launch day is when stores will be receiving them so you want to sell it ASAP. If that is true then you're store can get in big trouble. Good luck!

[quote name='Raxar']Hey guys,

So if anyone is interested in receiving the Wii-U Deluxe + New Super Mario Bros. BEFORE release day, like 2-5 days before to be exact I've listed an auction on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221135341148[/QUOTE]

In my area... interesting... BB, Target, or Gamestop employee maybe? Either way awful and laughable.

Good luck to the guy selling for 5K. Seriously, I hope you find someone that dumb.

Posting here? Dumb idea. Why? It's called CHEAPASS gamer. Not RICHASS. CHEAPASS.

[quote name='Raxar']hey who knows, maybe some rich freak will buy it, plus i have a "make an offer" feature; so yeah..:D[/QUOTE]

Someone want to ban this guy?

Aparently he doesn't know why its called Cheap Ass Gamer here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back