Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
iconamazon.gif
Amazon
Consoles* Amazon did not take preorders, see note.
Games

iconbestbuy.gif
Best Buy
Consoles Both models sold out online & in store
Games

icongs_r1.gif
Gamestop
Games

icontoysrus_r1.gif
Toys R Us
Games

icontarget.gif
Target
Games

iconwalmart_r3.gif
Walmart
Consoles
Wii U Bundle Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Wii U Deluxe Sold out online & in store
Wii U Basic Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Games

Sears
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken

kmart.gif
Kmart
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in-store pre-orders were not taken

newegg.gif
Newegg
Deluxe Bundle Bundled with New Super Mario Bros U, Black Ops 2, and Zombi U-Out of Stock
Games

iconplayasia.gif
Play-Asia
Consoles/Games Reservation List Only for NTSC Basic & Deluxe models

Fry's Electronics
Consoles Both models sold out online
Games

Staples
Games

J&R
Consoles Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location.
Games

Nebraska Furniture Mart
Accessories
Games

:hot:Nintendo World Store
Consoles: Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location in NYC.

Notes:

• Newegg, as of now (Friday before launch) is selling the deluxe console as a bundle only. It is listed for immediate shipping, not as a pre-order.

• *Amazon email sent out to those who signed up for Wii U pre-order notification:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank for you signing up to be notified when the Wii U is available.
Unfortunately the Wii U console is not available at Amazon.com at this time but please check back in the future, as availability may change. We do have the latest Wii U games and accessories available now so check them out. Thank you for shopping with Amazon Video Games.
System Information

YWbCj.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how people on GAF don't believe that the Wii had a fake shortage to drive up demand. I work in retail, and I know for a fact that retailers would hold stock of Wiis for weeks to prepare for a flyer. Circuit City was even ousted for doing it. I think this very site figured it out, too.

[quote name='Nintendonly']I like how people on GAF don't believe that the Wii had a fake shortage to drive up demand. I work in retail, and I know for a fact that retailers would hold stock of Wiis for weeks to prepare for a flyer. Circuit City was even ousted for doing it. I think this very site figured it out, too.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't a "Fake" shortage. No one is going to keep money off the table to drive up demand. That isn't how a company runs. When was the last time a new console launched and wasn't hard to find other than the $600 PS3? Retailers may hold back consoles for an ad, only because they are required by law to have items for sale that are in the ad. Ads are created usually around 3-4 weeks in advance. Lots of other products get held back for an ad set, but guess what, they also still have the item on the shelf for purchase currently as well.

I am torn. I did not pre-order a Wii-U but now I find myself wanting to buy one. I am thinking about ordering the bundle from Dell as I want the black Wii-U. I do not really want either game that comes with it, but I might save money when factoring in the gas and time that I will waste searching for one. I would just line up at WalMart at midnight but I am going to be at the WVU-OU football game that will not end until after 10:30 pm. Getting out of the stadium and city will put my arrival at WalMart just at midnight or a little later.

What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and order the bundle from Dell or chance finding one Sunday morning at KMart, Target, ect.?

[quote name='SychoBC']Retailers may hold back consoles for an ad, only because they are required by law to have items for sale that are in the ad.[/QUOTE]

That is false. It is not against the law to not have a product that is listed in an ad. If there was a statement that said "GUARANTEED IN STOCK" and they didn't have it in stock, then that would be against the law.

Also, my store would receive Wiis SEVERAL WEEKS before a flyer, yet we weren't allowed to sell them. Several weeks is a long time to be sitting on stock that could sell.

[quote name='Nintendonly']I like how people on GAF don't believe that the Wii had a fake shortage to drive up demand. I work in retail, and I know for a fact that retailers would hold stock of Wiis for weeks to prepare for a flyer. Circuit City was even ousted for doing it. I think this very site figured it out, too.[/QUOTE]

You're right and wrong. You're right that retailers would hold their Wii U stock for an ad. You're wrong that it was a fake shortage, because these sold out instantly. If they were on the shelves and not held, they would have sold out instantly. Stores did this so they could drive more people into their stores by advertising they were going to have a product and so people would have a fair shot at getting them, but in no way did this create an artificial shortage. It just meant that people had to wait for Sunday to buy their console instead of getting lucky and walking in as they were getting deliveries.

If there was "fake shortage", it was devised and implemented by retailers, not by Nintendo themselves.

[quote name='WViking']I am torn. I did not pre-order a Wii-U but now I find myself wanting to buy one. I am thinking about ordering the bundle from Dell as I want the black Wii-U. I do not really want either game that comes with it, but I might save money when factoring in the gas and time that I will waste searching for one. I would just line up at WalMart at midnight but I am going to be at the WVU-OU football game that will not end until after 10:30 pm. Getting out of the stadium and city will put my arrival at WalMart just at midnight or a little later.

What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and order the bundle from Dell or chance finding one Sunday morning at KMart, Target, ect.?[/QUOTE]
im the same as, i didnt preorder so i have to go hunting for a wii, both at walmart at midnight and then kmart if no go at walmart.

also the dell deal says ships out 1-2 weeks, if you didnt notice. :(

[quote name='maximumzero']If there was "fake shortage", it was devised and implemented by retailers, not by Nintendo themselves.[/QUOTE]

And that's what I'm insinuating.

[quote name='Nintendonly']And that's what I'm insinuating.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. Most of the guys/gals on NeoGAF are insinuating that it was devised by Nintendo themselves, however.

Unless I'm mistaken, of course.

Which happens.

From time to time.

I bit and ordered from Dell. I payed $15 for 3-5 day shipping. Mine will be delivered by 12-4-2012. Total was $503 after tax and shipping.

I honesty feel better knowing that I will get one now, even if it will take two and a half weeks.

Holding stock for a flyer is one thing. You can't fake the levels of demand that were there for Wii for more than a full year after launch.

Witness 3DS, PS3, Vita.

[quote name='SychoBC']It wasn't a "Fake" shortage. No one is going to keep money off the table to drive up demand. That isn't how a company runs. When was the last time a new console launched and wasn't hard to find other than the $600 PS3? Retailers may hold back consoles for an ad, only because they are required by law to have items for sale that are in the ad. Ads are created usually around 3-4 weeks in advance. Lots of other products get held back for an ad set, but guess what, they also still have the item on the shelf for purchase currently as well.[/QUOTE]

You can have 1 and run a add, see every car lot in the US. Then when you show up it's not there or was it ever to begin with? I'm not sure of a law that says you have to have x on hand before you run a ad. In this case I think Nintendo is driving their own demand more than retailers just like they have always done. It's basic business practices you don't flood the market it costs Nintendo to much for inventory to just sit around on their end and the demand would drop. The mystical Wii made headlines and kept selling out for months many probably due to the thought "this is rare I'm going to try it if I don't like" it I'll sell it mentality.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='morrodox']Oh wow, THIS argument again. Loverly. I couldn't get enough of it the first time.[/QUOTE]

At least the
veteran
thing finally stopped.

Figure I'll ask here, since I haven't been successful in my searches... any word on the length of the HDMI that's included? I have a weird set-up, and I need to know whether I'll have to buy a longer cable or not. I figured it may have been mentioned in one of the unboxings, but I haven't been able to find anything.

[quote name='WViking']I bit and ordered from Dell. I payed $15 for 3-5 day shipping. Mine will be delivered by 12-4-2012. Total was $503 after tax and shipping.

I honesty feel better knowing that I will get one now, even if it will take two and a half weeks.[/QUOTE]

I did this as well, but shipping was free for me. You might want to see what the deal is. Also, I'm on the phone with a rep and he told me even though it says dec-4 and is processing, it's actually already in pre-shipping status and should get here next week before Thanksgiving.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I ordered over the phone and have an account with them.

EDIT -- Regarding the Wii shortage. I managed a local Gamestop when the Wii came out and we would sell out every single day we received any stock of Wii systems. On weeks that corporate was dumb enough to run an ad advertising the Wii, due to federal laws, we were required to hold onto a system. Because I didn't want people to get even more pissed, when I knew an ad was coming, we held all the systems shipped to us that week so we had at least 5-10 for that coming Sunday. Of course, they all sold that day, but we did the best we could despite the lack of systems and terrible corporate advertising.

[quote name='GizmoGC']You will.

The Wii line at TRU last time was 100+ deep.[/QUOTE]

you act like every place in the u.s is like your area in every comment you make. You are a person like many that think your area is what represents the full united states area lol. I said this before and will say it again when wii came out here at least 1 or two stores in my area had wii in stock for most of that xmas season then once xmas was over it was hit and miss but for most part if you wanted a wii first couple months you got one. Which is why i think wii u in my area will be the same.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Most people don't have extra External HDs laying around. Most people would rather not have it hooked up to the back of their Wii U.

Why are you trying to spice of the Base unit? It's not worth saving $50.[/QUOTE]

when it comes down to it if someone wants a WII U bad enough they will buy the 299 one if thats the only one they can find it's the system after all.

[quote name='Aejeck']I did this as well, but shipping was free for me. You might want to see what the deal is. Also, I'm on the phone with a rep and he told me even though it says dec-4 and is processing, it's actually already in pre-shipping status and should get here next week before Thanksgiving.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I ordered over the phone and have an account with them.[/QUOTE]

Thank you and I hope that is true!

[quote name='defpally']Well, they will be exclusive, in a way. Both those games utilize the Gamepad extensively in ways that would be tough to implement on other consoles. Rayman would lose most of its unique new features and become a by the numbers new level pack sequel to Origins.[/QUOTE]

xbox smartglass with a app for that rayman game can do just about the same thing to be honest if you watch some things that is possible with smartglass it's like xbox version of game pad. Now on ps3 yes it would be water down version but smart glass has a chance to be very good and close to the function of nintendo game pad when it comes to what it does for the rayman game.

[quote name='WViking']I bit and ordered from Dell. I payed $15 for 3-5 day shipping. Mine will be delivered by 12-4-2012. Total was $503 after tax and shipping.

I honesty feel better knowing that I will get one now, even if it will take two and a half weeks.[/QUOTE]

I took the free shipping and it gives me the same date of 12/4. That doesn't seem fair. I guess yours will probably ship the same day as mine, but yours will arrive faster, otherwise there is no reason to upgrade the shipping.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']you act like every place in the u.s is like your area in every comment you make. You are a person like many that think your area is what represents the full united states area lol. I said this before and will say it again when wii came out here at least 1 or two stores in my area had wii in stock for most of that xmas season then once xmas was over it was hit and miss but for most part if you wanted a wii first couple months you got one. Which is why i think wii u in my area will be the same.[/QUOTE]

He most definatly has a vested interest in it being soldout, I think he has a nice investment in preorders. Saying it many times everytime someone else comes up with reasons why they think it's not true, does not make it so Gizmondo. Either you will sell yours and make money or you won't. But telling people to be panicked, it's sold out, you will never get one. It's just lame.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']xbox smartglass with a app for that rayman game can do just about the same thing to be honest if you watch some things that is possible with smartglass it's like xbox version of game pad. Now on ps3 yes it would be water down version but smart glass has a chance to be very good and close to the function of nintendo game pad when it comes to what it does for the rayman game.[/QUOTE]

Except that, with the xbox smartglass app, you'd have to put down your controller, pick up the tablet, use the touch screen, then put down the tablet and pick up the controller. It's not the same thing. Especially if you need to use the left analog while touching the touch screen. You could technically do it on the PS3 with the Vita, except for the fact that there's a 1/4 second to 1/3 second lag. You could get away with it in a game like Rayman, but it's no good for fast action.

[quote name='cold_young_thug']Can someone explain how a $349.00 Product comes up to +$500?! Am I missing something? Is it Added products to bundles im not aware of? [/QUOTE]
two games plus shipping plus tax

[quote name='cold_young_thug']Can someone explain how a $349.00 Product comes up to +$500?! Am I missing something? Is it Added products to bundles im not aware of? [/QUOTE]

If you're talking about Dell they have 2 games bundled with it.

What are you talking about?

[quote name='ProppaT']Except that, with the xbox smartglass app, you'd have to put down your controller, pick up the tablet, use the touch screen, then put down the tablet and pick up the controller. It's not the same thing. Especially if you need to use the left analog while touching the touch screen. You could technically do it on the PS3 with the Vita, except for the fact that there's a 1/4 second to 1/3 second lag. You could get away with it in a game like Rayman, but it's no good for fast action.[/QUOTE]

true but from what i seen of rayman it's not like hte tuchsreen is used alot its a random use the game is not 100 percent touch screen and seems like it works better when two people are playing. i will rent rayman first before i buy it to see if its fun or not or just ubisoft way to say they used the gamepad screen for couple secs of every level.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']xbox smartglass with a app for that rayman game can do just about the same thing to be honest if you watch some things that is possible with smartglass it's like xbox version of game pad. Now on ps3 yes it would be water down version but smart glass has a chance to be very good and close to the function of nintendo game pad when it comes to what it does for the rayman game.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you could do it with Smartglass, but are you going to do a game that is going to require that or even imply that it is vital to the experience? That's the ace in the sleeve of the Wii U. Every system has that feature. In the end, Ubi will have to feel that it is worthwhile to port it with the features intact. You are more likely to get that watered down version on both if at all, particularly to spread the port costs.

$349.99 + $49.99 (Just Dance 4) + $59.99 (Madden 13) = $459.97

Tax: $459.97 * .0875% = $500.22

And that's with free shipping.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']true but from what i seen of rayman it's not like hte tuchsreen is used alot its a random use the game is not 100 percent touch screen and seems like it works better when two people are playing. i will rent rayman first before i buy it to see if its fun or not or just ubisoft way to say they used the gamepad screen for couple secs of every level.[/QUOTE]

One of the stages in the demo required platforming and using the touch pad heavily in combination. It looks like the full game will be pretty heavy with a combination of standard controls, motion controls, and touch screen. At one point I was moving, touching the screen, and tilting the controller for motion controls all at the same time...

man if dell did not have those two games and it was only 350 i would do it but those games will only get like 80 bucks at best i already have madden for 360.

Target called me today to verify the (pre-order) Wii U charge on my Target card. It was pretty weird since the charge is AT TARGET on a TARGET VISA CARD. So it looks like they charged my card for the console I pre ordered through the mobile website a few weeks ago.

Its not just Dell, though I understand dell pricing. Some retailers like walmart had the deluxe going for $500 and all they added was the mid-range headset, likewise, other retailers would add one thing (or two) and now its $500. You could argue its all in the mind, but i can swallow $349.00 easier than I can $500, or even the $410 I'll realistically pay for buying one game. But still, $500 for dells bundle when the both games on other consoles are $10-35 cheaper. Im gonna pay for madden 13 on wiiU paying the extra money JUST for a damn map of the plays on the gamepad?

ZombieU is the one of the only games that A) is exclusive to WiiU, and B) actually utilizes the WiiU in a way that wasnt an after-though add-on for the gamepad.

[quote name='cold_young_thug']Its not just Dell, though I understand dell pricing. Some retailers like walmart had the deluxe going for $500 and all they added was the mid-range headset, likewise, other retailers would add one thing (or two) and now its $500. You could argue its all in the mind, but i can swallow $349.00 easier than I can $500, or even the $410 I'll realistically pay for buying one game. But still, $500 for dells bundle when the both games on other consoles are $10-35 cheaper. Im gonna pay for madden 13 on wiiU paying the extra money JUST for a damn map of the plays on the gamepad?

ZombieU is the one of the only games that A) is exclusive to WiiU, and B) actually utilizes the WiiU in a way that wasnt an after-though add-on for the gamepad.[/QUOTE]

For the love of god stop using the SIZE BBCODE, for fuck's sake.

In short, stores are making money by charging more, simple as that.

man im stuck in a bind :(. 500 bucks for a system that to be honest will not be played much after first couple days seeing game i want is rayman and it's pushed back. I love mario games but after buying nsmb2 and being sad how not great it was im scared for that game. I think i might take the chance that in spring it's not hard to find. but again as a geek i always want the newest and greatest lol DANG IT.

lol. I like to get my point across. Some people have reading problems, I help them with that. But back to the point, thats whats i figured. I didnt know if my math with taxes was terrible, or the price was inflated, regardless, I'll just be in line @ 10:00 hoping they'll be some units available.

Is it just me, or does the Wii-U commercial suck? I'm really starting to question if it's going to go bonkers for Christmas or not. Especially with so many game titles getting pushed back.

[quote name='vcplant']Is it just me, or does the Wii-U commercial suck? I'm really starting to question if it's going to go bonkers for Christmas or not. Especially with so many game titles getting pushed back.[/QUOTE]

If by "so many games getting pushed back" you mean Rayman Legends (the only one I'm really aware of), look at the sales of Rayman Origins. Not so hot. It's a must have title for gamers, but the mainstream couldn't care less (i.e., for every gamer that decides to wait to buy the Wii U, there will be 10 casuals who will be lined up to buy that Wii U).

[quote name='vcplant']Is it just me, or does the Wii-U commercial suck? I'm really starting to question if it's going to go bonkers for Christmas or not. Especially with so many game titles getting pushed back.[/QUOTE]

thats the same thing im thinking. Most of the 3rd party launch titles are already on systems like 360 and ps3. Of course you got zombi u and mario that will sell systems but other then main nintendo people most will not buy a syste just for those first party games. I know for me i already have ac3,madden,bo2 for other systems. Those game will not be that much better on wii u seeing i could careless for the small added things thanks to touch pad. Rayman was a HUGE game for most people and that got pushed back.

[quote name='ProppaT']If by "so many games getting pushed back" you mean Rayman Legends (the only one I'm really aware of), look at the sales of Rayman Origins. Not so hot. It's a must have title for gamers, but the mainstream couldn't care less.[/QUOTE]

mainstream gamers look for games like ac3,cod2, lets dance 4 and all those are already on other systems. I think wii u will still be a big hit but it might not be like most people are thinking.

[quote name='Nintendonly']That is false. It is not against the law to not have a product that is listed in an ad. If there was a statement that said "GUARANTEED IN STOCK" and they didn't have it in stock, then that would be against the law.[/QUOTE]
It is against the law to advertise a product and not actually have the product in stock. It's called false advertisement. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen an ad that says "GUARANTEED IN STOCK," because that would mean that they had an unlimited supply of the item and were 100% sure they weren't going to sell out. Most stores put "while supplies last," but even that implies that they have at least some stock to sell when the ad is released.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']mainstream gamers look for games like ac3,cod2, lets dance 4 and all those are already on other systems. I think wii u will still be a big hit but it might not be like most people are thinking.[/QUOTE]

It will sell out either way. Third party sales may be lower than expected, but the console itself will sell like gangbusters.

[quote name='ProppaT']It will sell out either way. Third party sales may be lower than expected, but the console itself will sell like gangbusters.[/QUOTE]

of course it will all new game systems do

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back