The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings for Xbox 360 TRU $44.99 FS

kevgret

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12644778

This is the enhanced edition:

Compared to the initial award winning PC release, the Xbox 360 edition will feature lots of new and exciting content. Additional hours of gameplay for the Xbox 360: New major adventures set in previously unseen locations, expanding the story and introducing new characters, mysteries and monsters. New Game Introduction and cinematic: All new animations and cut scenes, including a new, three and a half minute pre-rendered cinematic depicting the assassination of King Demavend of Aedirn. BAFTA Award winner and Academy Award nominee Tomasz Baginski brings this key historical event to life, setting the stage for the story told in The Witcher 2. Upgraded interface, designed specifically for the Xbox 360: Game camera and targeting have been redesigned for the Xbox, and with upgraded pad controls, players will now be able to experience fully The Witcher 2's spectacular and thrilling combat. Enhanced Edition content: GAME DVDs The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings game on 2 DVDs. OST CD: Audio-CD with in-game music. WORLD MAP: A map of the game's world. QUEST HANDBOOK - The Witcher 2 quest handbook for both novice and experienced role-playing fans. GAME MANUAL: A rulebook and interface explanation to help you get started.

[quote name='Anguissette']How long do I wait for Amazon before pulling the trigger at TRU?[/QUOTE]
No reason to wait, order it now and cancel the preorder later if someone else matches/beats the price.

[quote name='pdjones']starting to doubt newegg will match this.[/QUOTE]

the game doesn't come out for another 2 months, newegg isnt likely to match until mid/late march.

It is a little weird with how strong a push it's getting, pre-order, developer diary and teaser trailer-wise, two months before release. But it's also pretty cool that they have the resources for it. Hoping Amazon will price match - I've got credit there I'd like to burn.

can someone give me some insight to what kind of RPG this is going to be? i looks good but i can find much on what kind of combat system its going to be using and if its got the crappy dragon age/KOTOR style i will pass.

[quote name='TheMightySlinky']can someone give me some insight to what kind of RPG this is going to be? i looks good but i can find much on what kind of combat system its going to be using and if its got the crappy dragon age/KOTOR style i will pass.[/QUOTE]

Much more similar to Demon Souls/Dark Souls. It's a very tough game, and I'd describe the combat as more of an action game with RPG elements than just strictly just an RPG.

The first game, on the other hand, is very similar to KOTAR. I think it even used the same engine, but don't quote me on that.

Oh, and you don't need to play the first to understand the second. It certainly helps in some instances, but you won't get too lost.

[quote name='eddie291']Much more similar to Demon Souls/Dark Souls. It's a very tough game, and I'd describe the combat as more of an action game with RPG elements than just strictly just an RPG.

The first game, on the other hand, is very similar to KOTAR. I think it even used the same engine, but don't quote me on that.

Oh, and you don't need to play the first to understand the second. It certainly helps in some instances, but you won't get too lost.[/QUOTE]

sounds like it could be really fun. iv been looking at Dark Soul but it sounds like i might break it after a while.

For what it's worth, there's a streaming demo for the PC version of the game on Gakai

http://www.gaikai.com/games/

Now unlike the real version of the PC Witcher 2 game, you don't need a beefy system to run it, you just need a decent high speed internet connection. Gakai is basically like Onlive but just for demos to sample games.

Keep in mind that the 360 version will have some changes, but I think at the core it should mostly be the same.

*Edited to add: I just tried out the Gakai streaming demo myself. It does work with a 360 controller. Once you get into the game hit the escape key, then go into controls and change it from keyboard to gamepad. If you have a wired controller you should just be able to plug it into the computer's USB port. For a wireless one though you will need a special dongle.

The image quality is not quite up to the PC version with the settings all the way cranked up. It gives a general idea of what the game is like, but if you notice compression artifacts and such don't judge the final game based on that. It looks like Gakai had to make some compromises on image quality to get it to stream in real time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Witcher 2 is barely like Dark Souls at all. Only in that you can roll and that you don't take many hits early on before dying. It's nothing like DS's endless circling and dodging games. The best way I would describe the combat is confused. Somewhere between a typical RPG and a hack and slash, it tries to mix too much of both together and the blend isn't great. Still, better combat than most WRPGs, but since it's practically a WRPG genre staple to have abysmal combat, that isn't saying much.

Witcher 2 is one of the most freakishly overrated games out there. That said, for how overrated it is, it is a pretty dang nice RPG. $45 might be a bit much as it will no doubt drop but you could do worse.

[quote name='Rumors']I really this game but I can totally see this dropping,. Worth waiting?[/QUOTE]

I would say it depends on your backlog. I really want this game as well, but I'm finishing up Mass Effect 3 and haven't even started Arkham City that I got from Best Buy yet (in addition to 2 other games in backlog).

Since it's a remake/port/whatev of a PC game, my guess is that it will drop in price fairly quickly. The die hard fans would've bought it for the PC already.

u could wait for it to drop, but then u risk just getting a vanilla version. launch copies are the enhanced edition, which includes lots of extra free stuff. not sure if enhanced edition numbers will be enough to last however long you are willing to wait. since this is cdprojektred's first console game, i feel they deserve the day1 support; particularly since putting the witcher 2 on 360 is complete fan service from them and they even worked hard to add new content for free.

All copies for the 360 are the Enhanced Edition. The vanilla PC version will be getting a free DLC upgrade to the Enhanced Edition, and they are also re-releasing the PC version with the EE content already included. You risk nothing by waiting, except for the "Dark Edition" collector's edition that's available for $100.

THAT SAID... I *highly* encourage you to buy the game for full price and support CDPR. They're a fantastic developer, and are very supportive of the community. Very "pro-consumer", which is rare the world of EA/Activision/etc. DRM-free, lots of free goodies with the standard edition of the game, free DLC, etc etc.

Furthermore, I buy at least ~50 games a year, and The Witcher 2 is, without question, the best RPG I've played in many, many years. Easily the best RPG of the generation, IMO. I've actually purchased the game on six different occasions, to give to friends and family as gifts. I'll be double-dipping and getting the X360 version for sure.

Ordered a few weeks ago from TRU. I have a decent backlog, but this game looks incredible and will take precedence. Sort of pissed the first game won't play on my PC >_>

[quote name='mattcube64']All copies for the 360 are the Enhanced Edition. The vanilla PC version will be getting a free DLC upgrade to the Enhanced Edition, and they are also re-releasing the PC version with the EE content already included. You risk nothing by waiting, except for the "Dark Edition" collector's edition that's available for $100.

THAT SAID... I *highly* encourage you to buy the game for full price and support CDPR. They're a fantastic developer, and are very supportive of the community. Very "pro-consumer", which is rare the world of EA/Activision/etc. DRM-free, lots of free goodies with the standard edition of the game, free DLC, etc etc.

Furthermore, I buy at least ~50 games a year, and The Witcher 2 is, without question, the best RPG I've played in many, many years. Easily the best RPG of the generation, IMO. I've actually purchased the game on six different occasions, to give to friends and family as gifts. I'll be double-dipping and getting the X360 version for sure.[/QUOTE]

This cannot be said enough. In a world dominated by EA and Activision, CDPR is a breath of fresh air in how they treat their consumers. This is a great game made by a great developer and well worth it to buy at full price. If this was going to come out on the PS3 I would buy it again.

[quote name='DealHunter']Wow. Recently purchased the PC version, but it seems like the XBox 360 will have the best version. Now some folks must decide whether the new content is worth the double dip....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, kinda on the fence whether I should just get the PC version (hopefully my PC can run it) or the 360 version since it has all that optional content that the PC version doesn't

[quote name='gepet0']where can you preorder the dark edition[/QUOTE]

Most places are sold out of those.
Two choices, check at your local gamestop. Pre order the game and hope someone cancels their Dark Edition and maybe score one. Helps if your on good terms with your local GS.
Also try the same with Best Buy and hope the gaming gods are with you.

I pre ordered on GS.com b4 it was sold out and did the gamestop thing to make sure I get a copy. That box just looks so damn sweet.

[quote name='infamy']If some of us message Amazon, are they more likely to PM?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='John_W']Hoping Amazon will price match - I've got credit there I'd like to burn.[/QUOTE]

Fellow CAGs: Amazon is offering their own pre-order bonus for this game (a comic book) so I wouldn't expect them to price match Toys R'Us (I'm not saying don't try, but it's extremely unlikely) Best Buy also has a pre-order bonus (T-shirt) So your best bet would be to wait for Newegg to match (Or just pre-order from TRU! it's gonna be rad)

[quote name='Tiny Gallon']Fellow CAGs: Amazon is offering their own pre-order bonus for this game (a comic book) so I wouldn't expect them to price match Toys R'Us (I'm not saying don't try, but it's extremely unlikely) Best Buy also has a pre-order bonus (T-shirt) So your best bet would be to wait for Newegg to match (Or just pre-order from TRU! it's gonna be rad)[/QUOTE]

If Newegg matches, I'm in. But TRU takes so long to ship it and they charge me tax on top, so I might as well wait it out. Worst case no one matches and I sit this one out. My backlog is years long, but I still like to support the developer at times, and this is one of those games.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Witcher 2 is barely like Dark Souls at all. Only in that you can roll and that you don't take many hits early on before dying. It's nothing like DS's endless circling and dodging games. The best way I would describe the combat is confused. Somewhere between a typical RPG and a hack and slash, it tries to mix too much of both together and the blend isn't great. Still, better combat than most WRPGs, but since it's practically a WRPG genre staple to have abysmal combat, that isn't saying much.[/QUOTE]

If your basing this off your experience with the PC version, the entire control system/combat system has been reworked from the ground up for the 360 version and based off of a couple interviews I have read with the developer, the new 360 system is significantly better than the old system.

By the way, the release date for this game isn't 2 months away. Its April 17th, less than 4 weeks from now. Unless TRU has the date wrong. Either way, I am not waiting for Amazon. I pre-ordered a copy from TRU. I figured 5-10 bucks would be the best I could do with pre order bonuses. 15 bucks off, I am all over it. This is the game at the top of my most wanted list.

[quote name='Tiny Gallon']Fellow CAGs: Amazon is offering their own pre-order bonus for this game (a comic book) so I wouldn't expect them to price match Toys R'Us (I'm not saying don't try, but it's extremely unlikely) Best Buy also has a pre-order bonus (T-shirt) So your best bet would be to wait for Newegg to match (Or just pre-order from TRU! it's gonna be rad)[/QUOTE]

Or wait until two days after launch once amazon blows through all the pre-order bonus goods and drops the price, ala Kingdoms of Amalur. Really excited about this game; the Enhanced edition looks nice, the soundtrack is great.

[quote name='nightmare452']If Newegg matches, I'm in. But TRU takes so long to ship it and they charge me tax on top, so I might as well wait it out. Worst case no one matches and I sit this one out. My backlog is years long, but I still like to support the developer at times, and this is one of those games.[/QUOTE]
Ditto for me.

I do wish that the pre-order goodies were outlined more specifically than "The following additional content available for Enhanced Edition
varies by vendor and country.". (If I'm buying a 360 game then I'll take some avatar crap!)

I would caution anyone waiting on NewEgg that they have a history of outright canceling game pre-orders with seemingly no rhyme or reason as to who gets the shit-end of that stick. *shrug*

Just a heads-up - the Dark Edition, sold out on Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop and I'd assume nearly everywhere else, is still available for pre-order at Walmart for $99.96 with a $10 eGift Card. (Regular edition is $59.96 with $10 eGift Card.)

I'm not sure how reliable Walmart is on pre-orders, but this may be the only place left to even try to grab the Dark Edition. Unlike the Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition, my guess is this one will actually be pretty tough to find.

Linky

[quote name='adriley313']Only Wal-Mart.
Nervous now if I shouldn't pre order with them too and hope i get one.
Hows more reliable, Gamestop or Wal-Mart?[/QUOTE]

I've never had an issue with a wallmart preorder

[quote name='Kylearan']Just a heads-up - the Dark Edition, sold out on Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop and I'd assume nearly everywhere else, is still available for pre-order at Walmart for $99.96 with a $10 eGift Card. (Regular edition is $59.96 with $10 eGift Card.)

I'm not sure how reliable Walmart is on pre-orders, but this may be the only place left to even try to grab the Dark Edition. Unlike the Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition, my guess is this one will actually be pretty tough to find.

Linky[/QUOTE]

Thanks I was able to get it in with 1.98 ship. Don't know how I missed this one.

[quote name='Be3fJerky']Yeah, kinda on the fence whether I should just get the PC version (hopefully my PC can run it) or the 360 version since it has all that optional content that the PC version doesn't[/QUOTE]

You guys need to realize that if you have it already on PC or are thinking of getting the vanilla edition on PC that you will have access to most of the new content via free patches to EE, just like the first game. This is not an EA/Capcom like publisher.

[quote name='Righteous Nixon']If your basing this off your experience with the PC version, the entire control system/combat system has been reworked from the ground up for the 360 version and based off of a couple interviews I have read with the developer, the new 360 system is significantly better than the old system.
[/QUOTE]

This wouldn't be the FIRST time they've given the combat a "huge rework" and even then it felt like a bandage on a gaping wound.

Again, it's not bad, just confused. Still one of the best WRPGs in ages apart from Amalur. That's not particularly stiff competition when you're up against the beautiful and immersive but completely dead inside Skyrim and a lineup of wannabes like Two Worlds, Divinity, and Drakensange. Still, muting the praise doesn't change the fact that Witcher 2 is a good game. I think you should wait for a price drop but your time and money will not be wasted on it.

Sorry, with so much hyperbolic praise lavished upon it, I can't bring myself to give a straight compliment to the game, especially when it is rough in several spots.

bb only pm's in stock items. since this is a preorder, its not in stock. but like always, ymmv.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']i should be able to price match this price at Best Buy right?[/QUOTE]

two worlds ii was good, and tw worlds ii; pirates of flying fortress is awesome.

[quote name='RollingSkull']This wouldn't be the FIRST time they've given the combat a huge rework and even then it felt like a bandage on a gaping wound.

Again, it's not bad, just confused. Still one of the best WRPGs in ages apart from Amalur. That's not particularly stiff competition when you're up against the beautiful and immersive but completely dead inside Skyrim and a lineup of wannabes like Two Worlds, Divinity, and Drakensange.[/QUOTE]

I take it Amazon isn't matching this price? Can you pick it up in-store on day of release or something? This is still a great find, and still going on.

[quote name='RollingSkull']This wouldn't be the FIRST time they've given the combat a "huge rework" and even then it felt like a bandage on a gaping wound.

Again, it's not bad, just confused. Still one of the best WRPGs in ages apart from Amalur. That's not particularly stiff competition when you're up against the beautiful and immersive but completely dead inside Skyrim and a lineup of wannabes like Two Worlds, Divinity, and Drakensange. Still, muting the praise doesn't change the fact that Witcher 2 is a good game. I think you should wait for a price drop but your time and money will not be wasted on it.

Sorry, with so much hyperbolic praise lavished upon it, I can't bring myself to give a straight compliment to the game, especially when it is rough in several spots.[/QUOTE]

Don't feed the troll. The combat is tight, enjoyably difficult, and deep. He's just pissed off because the game forces you to actively BLOCK incoming attacks from all angles as opposed to pausing the game and selecting some arbitrary magic attack to fend off your foes.

[quote name='Brother Daz']For anyone thats played this, how difficult is it? is it dark sould difficult?[/QUOTE]

Not as hard as dark souls but still difficult without being cheap. The Witcher 2 is unforgiving to players that down know what they are doing. It requires preparation and strategy before going into battles. You need to set traps, drink potions before battles, and use magic effectively. Its very well done especially considering that this game is first and foremost an RPG experience.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']How long is the shipping process for those that got in on other $45 games?[/QUOTE]

I know this is an old post, but I didn't see anyone answer it. I preordered SSX and Amalur through TRU and both did not arrive until the Monday after release. I think waiting a week for $15 off is a pretty alright deal, though.

Keep an eye on Amazon during release week, they have dropped the price to match TRU in the past (Kingdoms of Amalur) of course that was such a fiasco for them they may not do it again.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Supposedly all the Amazon pre-order copies are signed by the entire development team.[/QUOTE]

only for amazon.uk. they don't ship games to US

bread's done
Back