This is the NHL 2013-2014 Thread!

Isn't the win loss record for Western Conference and Eastern Conference in favor of the west? Last I had heard was the west has beat the east in most of the games played against. Also last I looked the east had more teams close to the bottom of the list with only 4 or 5 wins. Doesn't look like a good year for the east. However only 14 to 17? games into the season so anything can change.
Definitely true. But I think the West is no joke this year. The Preds have actually been on a good run lately (6-2-2 in their last 10)...and they're STILL tied for next to last place in the Central with Dallas. There are 4 teams in the Pacific division alone with 24 or more points...which would be 1st place in either of the Eastern divisions. It's early, for sure...but the onus is really on Western teams to keep pace if they want any shot at a playoff spot.

What is sad is that some lines on Western Conference teams have almost the same number of goals as some teams in the east.  That says a lot about the west.  I wouldn't be surprised if the cup stays in the west this year.

Isn't the win loss record for Western Conference and Eastern Conference in favor of the west? Last I had heard was the west has beat the east in most of the games played against. Also last I looked the east had more teams close to the bottom of the list with only 4 or 5 wins. Doesn't look like a good year for the east. However only 14 to 17? games into the season so anything can change.
The important thing in all of this? The Lightning are 5-0 against the West. They've taken down Chicago twice, St Louis, the Kings and...the Oilers. The East pretty much consists of the Lightning, Penguins, Bruins, Toronto and Detroit. The pacific division is pretty insane as far as standings go

Good win for the Lightning tonight against the Red Wings. Huge turning point of the game was the 5 on 3 the wings had for almost a minute and then another 3 minutes worth of penalties the Lightning had to fight off. They immediately scored after killing off both penalties

Lightnings season is over. Stamkos hurt his leg really badly in todays game against Boston. Looks like he broke something or tore something in his leg. Such a shame. The season was going so well and he was on his way to an MVP.

A few minutes later the collapse begins. Game was tied 0-0 in the 2nd and in a matter of 20 seconds the Lightning have given up 2 goals.

Broken Tibia. Season over for both the Lightning and Stammer

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading about it and seeing the hit it really sucks.  Lightning were off to a good start and Stamkos was off to a hell of a start being tied for points and goals.  I really hate to see this.  Hopefully the Lightning can recover.

3 to 6 months. The real test will be Anaheim. Boston is always hard to beat. However, ever since Stammer took the slapshot to the face, he was won the Boston fans. It was sad trying to see him get up and skate off the ice and just falling back down. At least the Boston fans gave him a standing ovation.

For the Lightning to keep it together, Marty has to rally the team more and teach the AHL kids, oh and keep Lindback out of net! 

The Lightning are looking really good this year.  They are 7 for 7 with a regular season sweep on Chicago.  Hell they are leading their division and the east in points.  I really do hope they continue to do well without Stamkos.  However that being said they really don't have to worry about the west will the final round for the Stanley Cup.  Sure it will bring in some momentum knowing they wont all the games they had against the west or won a good number of them, however that can also go the other way and they could end up being cocky about it and it end up costing them.  Also 3 out of the 5 loses they have are thanks to Boston.  When playoffs come it will be the east they will have to play before the west.  I'm sure with the way they are playing they will make the playoffs if they keep it up and may even make it into round 2 or even 3.  Hell they could even win the cup.  Normally I wouldn't be saying that, but we are for the most part 1/4 of the way into the season as the most games played as of right now is 21 and the least amount of games played being 17.  Again anything can change, but as long as they stay consistent Tampa Bay shouldn't have an issue making the playoffs.

Now for the Blues it's a different story.  The central division is so close right now with Chicago at 30 points, Colorado at 28, St. Louis at 27 and Minnesota at 26.  Sure St. Louis is 1 to 2 games behind the rest, but still those 4 teams are really close to each other and the bottom 2 in points seem to bounce in and out of the 3rd spot to the wild card.  The central is so close to each other I'm a little worried.  Sure they are only 17 games in and only about a fourth of the season has been played.  If they stay consistent then they will bounce around from the 3rd spot to a wild card and have me biting my nails all season long.  I'm actually surprised they won last night against Colorado.  I'm even more surprised it was 7-3.  Every win for these 4 teams are going to be big wins and every loss a big won being so close to each other.  

The Pacific is just as close as the central.  Top 5 teams are sitting at 31, 29, 29, 25 and 25.  It could be because I live in the St. Louis area and all I really see are the west coast games, but I think the west is just going to be the division where if you can't get to the to top early good luck.  

As for last night it was a big win getting them two points and keeping Colorado at only 28.  Nice night for Steen as he picked 2 goals putting him at 16 for the season in just 17 games and now is also tied with Crosby for points at 24.  He seems to be off to a hell of a season and I hope he keeps it up.  It is nice to see a Blue that is still wearing the note at the top of the list.  I'm still surprised they won 7-3 and 4 goals were picked up in the 2nd.  They usually don't do well in the second.  The announcers for St. Louis have been from time to time talking about how Sobotka was doing MMA training in the off season, I think he forgot he was playing hockey when fighting Matt Duchene. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYihxCYVls0.  As for the fight with Stewart and Sarich that was just bullshit.  You can tell Sarich wasn't trying to fight and didn't even seem to want one to begin with, and the celebration by Stewart at the end to me was just disrespectful.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQPr2A_u6i8 Your team is up 5 to 1, you have no need to start a fight and wave your arms around to get the fans going.  If it was the other way around and Colorado was up 5 to 1 then it would be different.  

The Lightning need to make their push in 2-3 years while we still have St Louis. Depending on how the team finishes this year, the recovery of Stamkos and the development of Drouin they could be a really good team next year. Hopefully Bishop keeps rolling too

Depending on how well they can due with out Stamkos I would say they are a good team this year.  Only team they seemed to have an issue with is Boston.  I don't know what happened against Phoenix.  The real test is to see how well they can do with out Stamkos.  I think they can do well with out him, but will have to see.  

What the hell happened to this thread? It's almost time for the playoffs! Leafs choking the season away and my Wings are actually on a winning streak. All the injuries will probably end up preventing the team from doing anything in the playoffs (if they make them) but at least we got to see Nyquist and Tatar become NHL players who may not have otherwise had a chance. Seems like half of Grand Rapids is always playing in Wings jerseys. The rest of the season features games against playoff teams and possible playoff teams so it will be a good test. Has me really nervous about the playoff streak but I'm confident Detroit will sneak in.

Watching the Pens/Flyers game. Pretty good chance Detroit will play Pittsburgh so I'm keeping a close eye on them as the season ends. Too bad Phoenix decided to slump at the end. Now there is no weight to their last game against Dallas.

I honestly hadn't been following hockey too much as It was a rough few years for my Avs but Roy's coaching is definitely what the team needed.  Seeing him almost knock down the barrier between the benches in game one was a great indication of things to come.

Assuming the Blues & Ducks lose their next games, the season will wrap up nicely with Avs vs. Ducks for #1 in the Western Conference. 

*EDIT*

Bah, looks like the Ducks clinched the West tonight.  Still, going from 29th place last year to either 3rd or 4th is pretty damn good.  Still gonna root for a STL loss & Avs win Sunday.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/4/13/5611404/nhl-playoff-schedule-2014-stanley-cup-first-round

That is the schedule for the first round. Gotta run but I'm going to post my predictions later today.
So happy the playoffs are here.

EDIT:

Predictions for EAST

Bruins over Wings (Though I want the upset to happen)
Lightning over Canadiens
Pens over Jackets (Fleury can't drop the ball 3 times can he?)
Rangers over Flyers (I predict the Flyers will not be able to score much)

Predictions for WEST

Avs over Wild
Hawks over Blues (slumping and injured St. Louis will be bounced quickly)

Ducks over Stars (If only to see more Teemu )

Sharks over Kings (I think the Sharks will not have a problem with what is basically hyped up to be a tough physical series. They will easily outscore LA)

I've got my tickets and I can't wait.

Also this is what Im Hoping for

East

Lightning over Canadiens

Bruins over Wings

Jackets over Flyers

Flyers over Rangers (I can hope for it right? Cause you know, Screw Marty.)

West

Avs over Wild

Sharks over Kings

Stars over Ducks (Love Teemu but I'd like to see Stars pull out)

Also, Eric Brewer has as many goals as St. Louis does since the trade. Great Trade though! :D

Obviously im biased but here were my picks from the NHL's bracket challenge on their site:

nhl_zps24be44eb.jpg

Got my ticket yesterday for the Blues and Hawks game 2.  I really hope St. Louis can fix the issues they have been having most the season as they got worse in the last 10 games.  A lot of ifs but if St. Louis can work through all of it I see them beating the Hawks.  Could be the year St. Louis wins the cup.  That is if they play like they did at the start of the season and are healthy.

Too bad Lightning. I passed out after the first and woke up in overtime. From what I saw the Canadiens were outplaying Tampa. At least it seemed that way in the first.  Tonight I'm watching New York vs Philly. If you told me Ray Emery would be a starting playoff goaltender 5 years ago I would have laughed at the thought. Yet here is is. I'm happy for him.

Tampa blew that game bad. Montreal definitely outplayed them, but the Lightning still should have won. Gave up way too many stupid goals. They were playing with a very low energy a lot of the game for whatever reason

Cause Malone wasn't around.

:D

They deserved to lose. That was just such a bad D game. Lindback really didn't do to bad. To leave somebody in front of the net wide open like that though? Just pitiful.

DATSYUUUUK!!! What a game. That was a fast paced nail biter.

Also, Lucic= scumbag.

Can't see how anyone could be a Bruins fan unless their from New England. They have some of the most unlikeable players. Feel bad for all the great likeable stars they have besides the 3 obnoxious ones (take a guess who fits the bill).

Maybe if I call it now the Lightning will get their head out of their asses. Lightning will be sweeped By the Habs.

Sadly, Chara helped Zetterberg carry his bags after the Olympics.

Blues Hawks series is insane so far, although i am a die hard blues fan, they only slumped because they were missing 7 starters to,injuries which are back now. Still i love Quenneville[attachment=4413:image.jpg]

That was a sick goal by Nathan Mackinnon. Five guys were around him.
Stasiny has been amazing as well. The 2 game saving/winning goals in game 1 and that great assist (also w/ Mackinnon) on the 3rd goal. I'm sure he probably had a bit of levity when missing that wide open empty net, but at least he was able to get it in a few seconds later.

Stasiny has been amazing as well. The 2 game saving/winning goals in game 1 and that great assist (also w/ Mackinnon) on the 3rd goal. I'm sure he probably had a bit of levity when missing that wide open empty net, but at least he was able to get it in a few seconds later.
Stastny is pretty awesome too. Didn't know what happened when he missed the empty netter but he definitely made it up later.

well the goon squad caught up with the Avs last night. Not that they played well enough to win anyway but sucks seeing hits like that. 

Rask shuts the door again. There are enough shots taken aginst him but so far he's been strong. Howard is doing a fine job himself and really saving the team at times. I'd say game 3 was in Boston's control the whole time for the most part and we looked outclassed. I mean if you want to look at the stats Boston has had succesful special teams. Wings were below average the entire season.

Well, good ole Hab fans cheering for an injury but booing when a fan gets up from it. Classless.

For a ref to call that tripping call with two mintues left was just horrible. With two minutes left, let them play unless it's something so horrible it needs to be called.

However, none of the lightning picked up Pacioretty.

The future for Gudlevskis though is very bright. He will be a beast eventually.

My Pick now, The San Jose Sharks!

Man, I dont know what is going on with the Avs in Minnesota.  Getting outshot like crazy.

Maybe its something about the thin air that gives them the edge.

Pretty bummed out by the Wings OT loss. But to make up for it I got myself some NIN tickets for this June. I'm starting to lose hope. We can't stop their powerplay and Rask hasn't slipped up once.

Hawks win!!

That was a beautiful series, very competitive.
How was that a beautiful series? It was nothing but rule bending and head hunting by the hawks in game 2. I'll admit St. Louis got lucky with the 2 wins they got. Bickel should have been out for 3 games after the knee on knee, Kane should have had something happen after all the high sticking and cross checking he got away with and Seabrook should have got 5 and not 3. Hell the officials let things go for both sides and that has been said to have been the series with the least amount of calls and the calls that were made nothing but bullshit. Hell they called offsides after St. Louis had the puck in Chicago's attack zone. The officials let what could have been the best series in the playoffs get so out of hand. Sucks St. Louis lost, but the officiating for both sides in that series sucked and I never thought I'd see the day that I'd want Shanahan back on player safety.

How was that a beautiful series?
Because the Blues and Hawks are both excellent teams? Because the whole series was a damn-near tied score the entire time? The Blues scored with less than 2 minutes left in Game 1 to force an OT and with less than 10 seconds left in Game 2 to force an OT - winning both games. The Hawks came back to even the series up with a shutout by Crawford and a beautiful goal by Kane. The series showcased great players from both sides - Tarasenko, Oshie, Toews, Kane. Crawford showed that he may be a better goalie than people give him credit for.

I've learned some time ago that you can't control officiating. Hell, I already put way too much passion into a game that I have absolutely no control over - I can't use anymore energy on what calls are being made and not being made. In your life as a sports fan, you will have calls that will go your teams way and you will have calls that completely fuck your team over. Didn't the Rangers get screwed over yesterday by that early whistle call? How about that bad call last year that denied Hjalmarsson's goal? Seabrook should have gotten 5 and not 3? Debatable, but let's not forgot that the Hawks won the three games that Seabrook was suspended so would it have made a difference? Let's say Kane get's a few more penalty calls...would that have made a difference? I think the Blues only scored on, what, 2 of 25+ power plays?

I never blame the officials on the outcome of a best of 7 game series. That is one of the reasons it's a 7 game series. In the end, the better team won. The Blues lacked offense and Miller wasn't the difference maker he needed to be. The defending Stanley Cup champs showed what makes them so great.

850345432.gif

Because the Blues and Hawks are both excellent teams? Because the whole series was a damn-near tied score the entire time? The Blues scored with less than 2 minutes left in Game 1 to force an OT and with less than 10 seconds left in Game 2 to force an OT - winning both games. The Hawks came back to even the series up with a shutout by Crawford and a beautiful goal by Kane. The series showcased great players from both sides - Tarasenko, Oshie, Toews, Kane. Crawford showed that he may be a better goalie than people give him credit for.

I've learned some time ago that you can't control officiating. Hell, I already put way too much passion into a game that I have absolutely no control over - I can't use anymore energy on what calls are being made and not being made. In your life as a sports fan, you will have calls that will go your teams way and you will have calls that completely fuck your team over. Didn't the Rangers get screwed over yesterday by that early whistle call? How about that bad call last year that denied Hjalmarsson's goal? Seabrook should have gotten 5 and not 3? Debatable, but let's not forgot that the Hawks won the three games that Seabrook was suspended so would it have made a difference? Let's say Kane get's a few more penalty calls...would that have made a difference? I think the Blues only scored on, what, 2 of 25+ power plays?

I never blame the officials on the outcome of a best of 7 game series. That is one of the reasons it's a 7 game series. In the end, the better team won. The Blues lacked offense and Miller wasn't the difference maker he needed to be. The defending Stanley Cup champs showed what makes them so great.

850345432.gif
Blues and Hawks always have a good game. It's just for me the lack of calls and the timing of calls that were made killed this series. I guess the way I see it is this could have been such a better series.

bread's done
Back