This is the NHL 2013-2014 Thread!

Ugh, super bummed that the Avs got knocked out in the first round.
me too but can't help but feel it was deserved. They were out hustled at key points. But they have a good young team with some great playoff experience....and we have the best young player in the league

Avs were knocked out first round because a key player was injured.  Wild only one that series thanks to Cooke.

Avs were knocked out first round because a key player was injured. Wild only one that series thanks to Cooke.
I'm an Avs fan, and as much as I want to make excuses, it was a good series. Regardless of a player being injured, they won as a team, and they lost as a team. There were definitely some bad defensive plays that allowed Minnesota to score. Good back-and-forth game. I just wish they had won, making it worth staying up to 1AM.

Avs were knocked out first round because a key player was injured. Wild only one that series thanks to Cooke.
As an Avs fan myself, that seems like a lame excuse. One player is not going to be able to fend off games like 3 & 4 where Minnesota was getting as many as 5x the amount of shots per period as the Avs. The only real excuse that could be thrown out there is the "what if" of if the refs had made the right call on that delay of game against Minnesota at the end of game 4.

But sadly, as a great philosopher in a movie once said, "Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which fills up first".

Congrats to all Wild, Rangers and Kings fans!

Looking forward to Hawks-Wild tomorrow! The Wild is the 'hot' team right now so that does worry me a little. Haha

Congrats to all Wild, Rangers and Kings fans!

Looking forward to Hawks-Wild tomorrow! The Wild is the 'hot' team right now so that does worry me a little. Haha
After that last game, I have a little more confidence in the Hawks. But either way, it's going to be a tough series. I'd like to see the Hawks win it all for no reason other than I actually have time to watch the games now. :)

Little late but the teams I predict will advance are: Kings (boo), Blackhawks (meh), Bruins (boo), Pens (meh).

I liked how NYR scored two goals in overtime yesterday.

Bryz has Sonic characters on his mask. Is he a gamer or a furry?

At any rate, as much as I love the Wild, they're not a cup winner yet. They need another Suter so he doesn't play 28+ minutes and more stability in goal.

I thought I seen Sonic characters on his mask. He's really playing a lot better than a lot of people gave him credit for.

Little late but the teams I predict will advance are: Kings (boo), Blackhawks (meh), Bruins (boo), Pens (meh).

I liked how NYR scored two goals in overtime yesterday.
As much as I hate to agree I'm thinking the same. That's why now that round one is over I really haven't watched as much as I thought I would. I just can't get into the playoffs knowing it's going to be the same teams again. I'd really like to see Anaheim win it, so if they can advance then I might start watching again.

So, the Predators just hired Peter Laviolette to be the team's second head coach ever. I guess he's probably as good as anybody else they could have gotten. Barry Trotz meant a lot to the team, but honestly, I'm glad to see him go. He legitimately botched this season thanks to his mismanagement of Pekka Rinne the last few years.

He played in 64 games in 2010-2011 and 73 in 2011-2012. Then, he played 2012-2013 hurt almost the entire year, until his hip finally gave out. Trotz noticed none of this and seemed content to just ride him into the ground. After hip surgery and a freak infection, Rinne ends up missing 2/3 of this season. Even if it was just a coincidence and bad luck, the team needs a spark. And a new coach is probably the right call.

Edit - I should also add, the Laviolette hiring is interesting considering how much the Preds have struggled to score the past few years. Something has to give there, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found it odd that they picked him up after being let go by the Flyers.  Hell I forgot he was let go after the 3rd game of the year.

Off season is going to be interesting.  I'm wanting to see who is still let go from teams and who the teams pick up.  Also the trades could be interesting with UFA and RFA.  I'm sure it's just reddit fans talking but I have seen on there talks about Paul Stastny and/or Phil Kessel being looked at by St. Louis.  After Miller going 12-12-1 I'm wondering if the rumors going around about St. Louis not even wanting to bother resigning him are true.  Armstrong has already said Allen is coming up next year and will be battling for starts.  With the playoffs looking like its going to come down to the same 4 teams I'm not even interested.  This is the first time I have ever wanted the summer to go by quick.  

I wonder what NBC would do if it was a Habs/Wild final. Pierre McG wouldn't have much to say without wiping the Crosby off his chin and after shitting on the wild in every intermission report, Milbury will be eating crow the whole time.

Hawks win again! Thanks to this guy

Corey+Crawford2.jpg
 ​
The Wild played a Hell of a series. They are a couple players away from being a cup contender. They also need some damn luck cause they had zero this game or in the series for that matter. They outplayed us tonight for sure.

Either way, I love this damn team! Looking forward to the games tomorrow.

I really hope that Anaheim can eliminate LA and move on to eliminate Chicago.  At least changes have been made in the east so that it wont be the same 2 teams playing for that conference.  I'm hoping that Montreal can win tonight.  I'll be willing to watch a Montreal and New York Rangers series.  Boston wins then I'm not going to bother till the final series unless it's yet again Boston and Chicago.  I'm really hoping for it to come down to Anaheim and Montreal or Anaheim and New York Rangers.

Price out for the series. Budaj will take his place and it will be his first real series in which he has started. Wonder if thiswill make the series more chippy. Really enjoyed the game yesterday. Really could have gone either way.

Damn that sucks. I prefer it when teams are at full strength, as a Rangers fan it's more exciting if Montreal is at full strength. I have a feeling Prust is gonna take some runs at Lundqvist tonight.

Yeah, it's sad that he's out. 

I picked the Rangers to win regardless though. They seem to be the team this year (and I hate saying that as a Hawks fan).

It's safe to say, I honestly stopped watching now that Price is hurt. I don't care about the west with the Kings and Hawks. Of course, I hated the Rangers long before the St. Louis trade, but having him there adds more fuel to the fire. Habs knocked out the Lightning in a sweep. So yeah, I'm hoping the Habs make a comeback but then again, damn Canadian team I don't want to see win a cup. I would have loved to see the Ducks win as a great send off for Teemu.

Now that I no longer have cable I'm not able to watch or I would be watching the Montreal and Rangers series.  I couldn't care less about the Western Conference rematch from last year.

Glad to see Halak got a 4 year deal for 18 million with the Islanders.  I was all for the Halak and Miller trade because Miller was to be so much better, but after the OT loss to Dallas the guy was a joke.  I'm not even sure the St. Louis management even talked to him or his agent.  I had read that he wanted more a year than what Elliott and Allen will make for their full contracts.  Sucks all we got were 2 playoff games with Halak, but with the way the team played in front of him this year I'm sure the outcome would've been the same.

The series is far from over, but my Hawks are not looking good at all. Well, except for Toews.

The Kings look relaxed and having fun while the Hawks players just look confused. Not a great sign for me.

Glad Montreal got that win yesterday to make the series somewhat interesting. Although, they have a long way to go with Price out.

Last I saw Price is only expected to be out this round.  I'm sure that's based off of the series going 7 games.  Has that changed?

Last I saw Price is only expected to be out this round. I'm sure that's based off of the series going 7 games. Has that changed?
I don't think so, he supposedly could be back for the Stanley Cup if they make it.

...but I just don't see them beating the Rangers without Price.

I'm hoping the Kings can close this out tonight. Don't think my heart and nerves can handle another game 7. Or another game 6 for that matter.

Damn, nobody posted after the game? The two goalies were beyond amazing. So thrilled to see the Kings win another Cup. What a great run. The 3 straight game 7s and all the overtimes and come from behind victories made for some stressful but exciting games that probably took a couple years off my life.

Damn, nobody posted after the game? The two goalies were beyond amazing. So thrilled to see the Kings win another Cup. What a great run. The 3 straight game 7s and all the overtimes and come from behind victories made for some stressful but exciting games that probably took a couple years off my life.
The Kings are unreal! Enjoy the cup!

Thanks. I got to see the Cup in person a couple years ago, but one of my friends was lucky enough to get to carry it (while on TV!). I just feel very fortunate to have gotten to see 2 championships in 3 years. That's not something to be taken for granted.

Thanks. I got to see the Cup in person a couple years ago, but one of my friends was lucky enough to get to carry it (while on TV!). I just feel very fortunate to have gotten to see 2 championships in 3 years. That's not something to be taken for granted.
As a Hawks fan, I feel the same exact way!

I went to both parades downtown and seen the cup up close and personal. Would have loved to carry it, Holy shit!

I didn't mind seeing them win it this year as they played a better game.  In 12 the knee to knee that Brown was doing in just about every round and only getting 2 minutes in the box was getting old.  This year they seemed to play cleaner and a more respectable game.  It also didn't seem like it was Quick that won them the cup they actually seemed to play as more of a team and not a bunch of goons with a brick wall in the net.  

Now it's time to look at the off season.  I'm really hoping St. Louis makes all the right moves and in the next 2 season I can see them raise the cup for the first time.  Sounds of things it seems like they will rotate Allen and Elliott and from what it looked like in the 2011-2012 season Elliott works better like that.  In the 2012-2013 season Allen did a hell of a job in net.  Hell I wouldn't be surprised if his stats then were better than Miller's were for the 25 games he played for St. Louis.  With the rumors flying around it's going to be interesting to see what happens.  I'm also interested in seeing who decides to pick up Brodeur.  I would like to see him go out as a Devil, but it doesn't seem like that will happen. 

Vancouver already has 3 trades.  I wonder if they plan to do more.  I don't know what trades I like more, draft day trades or trade deadline trades.

bread's done
Back