Thrift Store Stupidity!!

[quote name='jman2avatar']I went to Goodwill today and they had an original:xbox: for $40! GTFO[/QUOTE]

i just bought one at my goodwill for $15 xD

There is a thrift store 'chain' down here in Australia and I visit maybe 2 or 3 of the stores on a regular basis, they seem to 'move' stock between them. I have seen the same demo discs (with a crack on the spine) at all 3 stores, I imagine they must move the stock that doesn't sell to different stores, trying to appeal to the regulars of that store perhaps.

Does Goodwill still accept donations of VHS Tapes and antiquated electronics? I'm pretty sure they no longer accept Computer Monitors or CRT Television sets, but it seems like they still have an abundance of junk stereos, and electronic equipment from the 70's that has no valu to anyone outside of the novelty of being a relic. I can only imagine that Goodwill has a warehouse full of VHS tapes that they ship off to different stores and tell them to toss them in the trash a little at a time rather than endure the PR nightmare of filling an entire landfill full of them.

From what I know, they will accept anything. Even vhs tapes. They just put out as a Dollar. They still put out retro stuff from time to time.

[quote name='spmahn']Does Goodwill still accept donations of VHS Tapes and antiquated electronics? I'm pretty sure they no longer accept Computer Monitors or CRT Television sets, but it seems like they still have an abundance of junk stereos, and electronic equipment from the 70's that has no valu to anyone outside of the novelty of being a relic. I can only imagine that Goodwill has a warehouse full of VHS tapes that they ship off to different stores and tell them to toss them in the trash a little at a time rather than endure the PR nightmare of filling an entire landfill full of them.[/QUOTE]
Some movies have never been sold on anything past VHS tapes, so for some movies that may be the ONLY way to get them at this point.

But the thrift stores around here seem to be uppity if you try bringing them something older. When we moved into the house we're in now, my family tried donating our older(read: likely 'vintage') living room set to the Salvation Army. There was nothing wrong with it. No rips, no tears. Yet the people who we called from there to come over and get it said they wouldn't take it unless we re-upholstered it.

fuck you. If we re-upholstered it, we would've kept the set for ourselves. There was nothing freakin' wrong with it as it was.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Some movies have never been sold on anything past VHS tapes, so for some movies that may be the ONLY way to get them at this point. [/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm not hating on VHS, but at this point, the only movies not on DVD are for the most part only the most obscure of obscure films (and the 1971 film Willard), and the stuff people might actually want isn't the stuff you come across at Goodwill. The VHS tapes at Goodwill are for the most part public domain cartoons of the dollar store variety, and movies from the 80's and 90's that are all available on DVD for 5 dollars or less at this point. If someone could figure out a way to monetize the recycling of VHS tapes, they would be a very rich person.

I wish one of the Goodwills around my area took better care of the games. Unless they were sealed or were the current gens, the rest of them would be placed in the DVD and VHS area. And this is a bad move imo; kids/adults will just steal the disks and leave the husks behind. I found a lot of games I would want but the cases turn up empty, much to my sadness and anger.

I'm glad for the other because they put most electronics of the age behind a case and hardly anyone cares about it, which is good for me. :D

[quote name='Olengie']I wish one of the Goodwills around my area took better care of the games. Unless they were sealed or were the current gens, the rest of them would be placed in the DVD and VHS area. And this is a bad move imo; kids/adults will just steal the disks and leave the husks behind. I found a lot of games I would want but the cases turn up empty, much to my sadness and anger.

I'm glad for the other because they put most electronics of the age behind a case and hardly anyone cares about it, which is good for me. :D[/QUOTE]

It's a no win situation, if they keep stuff on the shelves, it gets stolen, if they lock them in a case it's a hassle to get an employee to help you and most of the time you can't even see what's available.

I definitely have to agree with you. I wished I worked there; I could merely point it out and increase their profits by a lot. Who knows how much money they lost for having the games/DVDs stolen. For mine, the cases are connected to the register and stuff so it's not really a hassle for anyone unless you want to leave asap. The employees are pretty chill about it and there is alot of them at hand.

The only downside for me is standing there awkwardly looking at the case. Haha.

I'm in western Maine this week for vacation and I figured I'd go game chasing one day. Stopped by this usual flea market I go to every year, only one guy who sells games and is a serious reseller, but usually has fair prices for some stuff so I grabbed a couple cheap SNES games.
The thrift stores around here however are terrible, I went to 3 stores and every one has about the same selection of games. Shitty sports titles and ultra common games all in dirty beat up condition for about 5 bucks a pop. I know the people there probably take anything worth more than 5 bucks and sell it on eBay, but if they know certain games aren't worth anything then why try and rip off customers with jacked up game prices. Throw a $10 label on 10 NES games that are sports and at least you'll get rid of them instead of having them take up room in your store. Worst example was a cracked super Mario brothers 3 that the cart was almost brown, label half gone, and DIANA written in red marker right across the front....$15. XD

I actually walked out of Savers today after seeing this. I walked into the store, went over to where they keep the games, and my brain couldn't even comprehend this level if insanity

img2396m.jpg

I can't even begin to fathom who on the face of gods green earth would tag this game at this price. I can only assume that either A. It was an error (the other NES games behind it were junk, but priced in the still crazy but more reasonable range of $5.99 - $7.99) or some horribly mistaken person thought that because there are two games on one cartridge, that it must be worth more. Who the hell is pricing this crap? For the love of Jesus, I picked up a copy of Pokemon Stadium 2 for N64 at this SAME SAVERS last week for $3 and flipped it for $25. How could they possibly have some irrational inconsistencies in their prices? I just walked out of the store after seeing this, I knew I was wasting my time.

My Savers just opened but also seems to have CRAZY inconsistent pricing. That can work in your favor at times though... even if seeing that just drives you crazy.

Simple- It has Mario on it therefor it must be worth $$$. This is current thrift store logic from what Ive been seeing lately.

After seeing some of the opinions in this thread, I'm actually starting to side with the thrift stores on overcharging for stuff. Why should they let you guys buy stuff solely to flip/resell when they could make the money?

Although I will give you that some prices are more than a bit over the top.

[quote name='juangrande386']Simple- It has Mario on it therefor it must be worth $$$. This is current thrift store logic from what Ive been seeing lately.[/QUOTE]

I think that goes for everyone who wants to make money. :lol: Most games I see are pretty reasonable. But the consoles are usually far fetched.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']After seeing some of the opinions in this thread, I'm actually starting to side with the thrift stores on overcharging for stuff. Why should they let you guys buy stuff solely to flip/resell when they could make the money?

Although I will give you that some prices are more than a bit over the top.[/QUOTE]

I will never for a moment bitch about thrift store prices that are reasonable. Yeah, it's great to find stuff that I can make money off of, but I don't expect it, and I certainly wouldn't find it unreasonable to expect thrift stores to make money. By reasonable however, I don't mean find the highest listed price on eBay and stick a tag on it. Find what the item typically sells for, and tag the price within that range. If it's worth $50, sell it for $35, if it's worth $15, sell it for $6. The problem is, I never see a thrift store that understands this concept, it's always the $100 treasure someone finds for $1.00, or the worthless copy of Mario / Duck Hunt that Savers thinks someone will buy for $15, there never seems to be a happy medium.

The only exception to this rule in my mind is Goodwill, which is a tax exempt, charitable organization, which accepts local, state, and federal funds to assist in their operation. As a not for profit, they have absolutely no business charging the ludicrously high prices that they do. If they need to charge the prices that they do to subsidize the cost of running their retail stores, than just close the retail stores, and charge whatever you want on Shopgoodwill.com or Amazon or eBay or wherever. Just run sorting centers where they can continue to train and employ the handicapped, which is the whole point of their organization in the first place.

In other words, as long as they charge lower than eBay/Amazon prices so you can buy stuff and you make that extra money, then you're ok with their pricing. But if they want the full amount the items get on those marketplaces, leaving no meat on the bone for you, then they should go out of business or only sell those items online?

Right. Hypocrite says what?

I don't know what's so hard for you to understand. They're two totally different markets. If they want ebay prices, sell it on ebay. But they're not - they're selling to people who shop at thrift stores.

Money is money. And it depends on the pricer imo. If they think its not valuable, then they'll give it a good price. Also goes the other way around. If you price it, they will come. No matter what.

I saw a boxed Atari 5200 for 150. [Couldn't see the rest]. Someone will buy it. Lol.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I don't know what's so hard for you to understand. They're two totally different markets. If they want ebay prices, sell it on ebay. But they're not - they're selling to people who shop at thrift stores.[/QUOTE]
But who's to say what prices people shopping at thrift stores are willing to pay? It seems like every time the local thrifts get in gaming stuff it disappears quick, whether it's priced at $1-5 or closer to the eBay/Amazon market value.

So somebody is obviously buying it who feels it's still a good value.

Personally I'd rather see the charities make the money and help people than a self serving reseller(even myself) grab something solely to mark up and plop on eBay or Amazon.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']In other words, as long as they charge lower than eBay/Amazon prices so you can buy stuff and you make that extra money, then you're ok with their pricing. But if they want the full amount the items get on those marketplaces, leaving no meat on the bone for you, then they should go out of business or only sell those items online?

Right. Hypocrite says what?[/QUOTE]

That's not what I'm saying at all. As a COLLECTOR I would be fine paying reasonable prices. As a RESELLER, I'd have zero interest in buying something for $35 that I MIGHT be able to flip for $50, because A. After all the expenses involved there wouldn't be enough profit let for it to be worth my time and B. That's not a big enough ROI anyways, even if packaging / shipping / gas / time didn't cost as much as it does.

Charging more reasonable prices would put people like me out of business, and I'd be fine with that, I only do this to make some extra cash on the side, this isn't my full time job or anything. On the other hand, charging eBay level prices just turns off everyone to your business completely, and is going to put you out of business just as quickly as selling your gold for nothing.

Collecting makes me much happier than reselling does, I would gladly trade off the entire reselling thing if I could get a better and more consistant supply of games on a more regular basis, even if the prices were higher.

Like I said though, even with the higher prices people are still buying the gaming stuff when it pops up in the thrift stores here. Whether it's a dusty old Genesis 1 for $15 or a decrepit looking PS2 for $20-30, people buy them pretty quick.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Like I said though, even with the higher prices people are still buying the gaming stuff when it pops up in the thrift stores here. Whether it's a dusty old Genesis 1 for $15 or a decrepit looking PS2 for $20-30, people buy them pretty quick.[/QUOTE]

If a collector wants to pay those prices, good for them. There's absolutely no way a reseller is paying prices anywhere near that and still making a profit however, which is why I suspect the only people paying those prices are misinformed and impulsive. I don't think anyone is looking to become a candidate for Hoarders

[quote name='therealdanhill']I think there is a reasonable expectation by people who shop at these stores that items won't be priced at retail value.[/QUOTE]
Don't get me wrong. I don't buy stuff that I feel is overpriced, but there have to be people who ARE buying this stuff cuz it's gone within a day or two of being put out.

The top five highest paid employees for Goodwill Industries of the Columbia Willamette make a combined total of $1,506,373 in salary and benefits.

Micheal Miller CEO: $692,984.
Richard Knox (Finance): $249,996
Peter Collins (operations): $219,826
Bob Barsocchini (HR): $179,216
Cheryl Folk (Voc Services): $165,351

In 2004, Oregon’s Department of Justice launched an investigation into the compensation of local Goodwill chief Michael Miller in response to a citizen complaint and an investigation by The Oregonian newspaper.
After the 18-month investigation, the Department of Justice concluded that Miller’s pay was “unreasonable.” He subsequently agreed to a 24 percent pay cut from $831,508 to $634,477.
Fast-forward six years and Miller’s pay is once again above $700,000, according to the organization’s most recent tax statement, filed last month with the Department of Justice. At $719,147, he is the highest-paid nonprofit CEO in Oregon.

I will post this story in this thread because a resale/trade in shop chain is kinda like a thrift store? I also don't want to start a new thread just for this, though it may deserve one.

Anyway sealed collector's and VGA grade lovers turn away now. Everyone else, this still hurts a bit.

So I walk in to this store called The Exchange. They have some reasonably priced stuff at times. I see a minty boxed NES top loader behind glass. $300... Okay it's boxed and complete, maybe someone with a bunch a money will want this. It gets worse. A few days later I go to a local game store and start talking to the clerk. He told me that another patron saw an older lady trade in that NES top loader, the kicker, it was brand new factory sealed (no knowledge of Nintendo sealing. so I don't know if it was a wrap or just a sticker). According to this store's company policy they have to test every console they take in. The manager knew they were going to lose a bunch of money if they opened it up, but they did anyway...

To wrap it up. On ebay a brand new top loader sold for more than $1000. Because of a company policy and a too honest of an employee, they lost a potential $700 worth of profit with one cut. If it was me I would have told the old lady to come back after my shift was over. ;)

[quote name='kermit036']I will post this story in this thread because a resale/trade in shop chain is kinda like a thrift store? I also don't want to start a new thread just for this, though it may deserve one.

Anyway sealed collector's and VGA grade lovers turn away now. Everyone else, this still hurts a bit.

So I walk in to this store called The Exchange. They have some reasonably priced stuff at times. I see a minty boxed NES top loader behind glass. $300... Okay it's boxed and complete, maybe someone with a bunch a money will want this. It gets worse. A few days later I go to a local game store and start talking to the clerk. He told me that another patron saw an older lady trade in that NES top loader, the kicker, it was brand new factory sealed (no knowledge of Nintendo sealing. so I don't know if it was a wrap or just a sticker). According to this store's company policy they have to test every console they take in. The manager knew they were going to lose a bunch of money if they opened it up, but they did anyway...

To wrap it up. On ebay a brand new top loader sold for more than $1000. Because of a company policy and a too honest of an employee, they lost a potential $700 worth of profit with one cut. If it was me I would have told the old lady to come back after my shift was over. ;)[/QUOTE]
:dunce::dunce::dunce:#-o#-o#-o This makes those new NES top loaders I saw at the temporary WalMart they set up in an old shopping center down the hill from me that I passed up for $15 apiece about 10-12 years ago hurt all the more now.:cry::whistle2:#

is this stupidity?
I have been looking for a NES for months now at this Goodwill near my house.
Well today i FINALLY found one!
BUT, they wanted $95 for it. T_T
It did come with games though: two copies of zelda, metal gear, and super mario 3 (plus others)
Does that really make it worth the money?

I'm kinda pissed about this. It's a GOODWILL, shouldn't the prices be...reasonable? :|

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']is this stupidity?
I have been looking for a NES for months now at this Goodwill near my house.
Well today i FINALLY found one!
BUT, they wanted $95 for it. T_T
It did come with games though: two copies of zelda, metal gear, and super mario 3 (plus others)
Does that really make it worth the money?

I'm kinda pissed about this. It's a GOODWILL, shouldn't the prices be...reasonable? :|[/QUOTE]

Not even close, you can get that on Ebay for less.

[quote name='Bing147']Not even close, you can get that on Ebay for less.[/QUOTE]

thought so, glad i passed on it.
darn i really just want a NES, i've been looking for months :whistle2:|

I pretty much boycotted goodwill after Michael Jackson died and I saw a GW selling the Thriller vinyl for $100. I said "uh I thought ALL records were .25?" and the cashier said said "oh well this one is more cuz he's dead" then proceeded to tell me that managers can price things whatever they want and they get bonuses based on how much profit the store makes

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']thought so, glad i passed on it.
darn i really just want a NES, i've been looking for months :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]you can buy mine if ya want lol

I put this in the wrong thread earlier.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']
431374_2451799430809_662392452_n.jpg

$120.66 for Mega Man 1-5.
I've asked before and they say they are as is, but that was with typical cheaper games that I rarely find there. If I were to pay an outrageous price, I would bring in my NES and test them out in store.

I do want these though. I own MM4 and possibly MM5 (or MM3?)[/QUOTE]

I have 2 goodwills that are close to me. The closer of the two is great, (ex. Top loader NES for $4.99) but the farther one is just horrible. Their prices are so high! Today I saw they had a few ps2 games, I laughed when I saw a madden game with a GS sticker that said $.99. Well, I guess it went up in value because they priced it at $3.99. Morons... Ya think they'd atleast take off the $.99 sticker!

Nah cause we are at a point were Goodwill is realizing the resale markets value and really trying to capitlize on it. Not saying they shouldn't but damn GW you should have 150% mark-up rate.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']I put this in the wrong thread earlier.[/QUOTE]
as i said in the other thread, it isn't that ridiculous. it is at least close to the going rate, though you can usually get all 6 for that price.

[quote name='lude21']I have 2 goodwills that are close to me. The closer of the two is great, (ex. Top loader NES for $4.99) -snip-[/QUOTE]

Where is this? I could use a top loader old vcr style one is being difficult

I'll never tell! Lol but seriously I only found 1 top loader there. It was complete with all cords , dogbone and tetris for $5!

[quote name='lude21']I'll never tell! Lol but seriously I only found 1 top loader there. It was complete with all cords , dogbone and tetris for $5![/QUOTE]

dick :p local goodwill isnt worth shit, the one near college isn't too bad but they have some really fucked up prices

[quote name='kermit036']I will post this story in this thread because a resale/trade in shop chain is kinda like a thrift store? I also don't want to start a new thread just for this, though it may deserve one.

To wrap it up. On ebay a brand new top loader sold for more than $1000. Because of a company policy and a too honest of an employee, they lost a potential $700 worth of profit with one cut. If it was me I would have told the old lady to come back after my shift was over. ;)[/QUOTE]

that is super sad. as someone who frequents the Pittsburgh area local exchange stores, I have experienced the pros on this tactic. Got many games and dvds there that were trade in brand new, but the had to open them as per policy of selling used stuff. so the mark these "new" items as "used" sucks about that particular system though.

a few months back I saw a tg-16 for 300 dollars there. thats a bit rich.:roll:

[quote name='MasaTFC']that is super sad. as someone who frequents the Pittsburgh area local exchange stores, I have experienced the pros on this tactic. Got many games and dvds there that were trade in brand new, but the had to open them as per policy of selling used stuff. so the mark these "new" items as "used" sucks about that particular system though.

a few months back I saw a tg-16 for 300 dollars there. thats a bit rich.:roll:[/QUOTE]

I haven't been to an Exchange in almost a year. For the most part, it seems their pricing is just getting out of hand when it comes to older stuff. Sometimes they have the "damaged" stuff for dirt cheap, but overall, it's not worth my time to even stop. I go to CD Warehouse every so often since they price their stuff more competitively, and have a stamp card program. They also pay better overall on trades, they're just alot pickier about condition.

The one place I'm glad is gone is Buybacks. We went to the one in Greensburg a week before it closed and it was dead. We asked the manager how business is doing and he was in major denial. Kept saying they were doing awesome and they were planning on opening a another location in the area. The following week, they were closed. :applause:

To stay on topic, I was at Goodwill today and they put out a banjo and an acoustic guitar. The guitar was an Epiphone PR150, priced at $150. The lady that priced it and put it out was saying how great of condition it is and it should have no trouble selling, except for the fact Guitar Center sells the exact same guitar for $99 NEW, and can be had for less during sales. The banjo was a 4-string Galveston, priced at $150, which may be high for GW, but is about right with it being a $200-300 banjo.

Funny enough, they also had out on the shelves for $2, a vintage Tempo Ukulele. Not worth a whole hell of a lot of money, but quite possibly the most lopsided pricing I've seen there in awhile.

[quote name='sp00ge']I haven't been to an Exchange in almost a year. For the most part, it seems their pricing is just getting out of hand when it comes to older stuff. Sometimes they have the "damaged" stuff for dirt cheap, but overall, it's not worth my time to even stop. I go to CD Warehouse every so often since they price their stuff more competitively, and have a stamp card program. They also pay better overall on trades, they're just alot pickier about condition.

The one place I'm glad is gone is Buybacks. We went to the one in Greensburg a week before it closed and it was dead. We asked the manager how business is doing and he was in major denial. Kept saying they were doing awesome and they were planning on opening a another location in the area. The following week, they were closed. :applause:

To stay on topic, I was at Goodwill today and they put out a banjo and an acoustic guitar. The guitar was an Epiphone PR150, priced at $150. The lady that priced it and put it out was saying how great of condition it is and it should have no trouble selling, except for the fact Guitar Center sells the exact same guitar for $99 NEW, and can be had for less during sales. The banjo was a 4-string Galveston, priced at $150, which may be high for GW, but is about right with it being a $200-300 banjo.

Funny enough, they also had out on the shelves for $2, a vintage Tempo Ukulele. Not worth a whole hell of a lot of money, but quite possibly the most lopsided pricing I've seen there in awhile.[/QUOTE]

buybacks is INSANE! That is the place with prices that make no sense whatsoever....I am talking about stuff like Battletoads vs Double Dragon on NES for $78.36 or Donkey Kong Country for SNES for $43.92, but then you'll see Ninja Gaiden 3 for $4.99. they always have really bizzarre prices. But then again, I got a toploader for only $30 (same price as a toaster). But when I got it, it came with a regular controller, even though they had a dogbone over with the loose controllers, I tried to explain that the dogbone went with this model and he said "oh sorry I can only sell it with this one" then half a micro second before he swipes my card, some other guy yells "no dude! that controller doesn't work with that one! you have to use this one!" and they ended up giving me the dogbone anyway. The place sucks now and they have little to no retro stuff anymore anyway so who cares!

[quote name='Kovorkian']dick :p local goodwill isnt worth shit, the one near college isn't too bad but they have some really fucked up prices[/QUOTE]

Last winter I was at the Shamokin Dam one and saw a 20"-ish inch SDTV the kind with the flat glass, but still the bulky kind marked what I thought was $15. I figured reasonable deal until I got closer and saw it was actually $75.

But their prices are really random. I was there once with my grandmother who was looking for a table and some new chairs and she saw a decent set, nothing antique or brand new or anything, and it was marked $150. Wednesday when I was in, they had two different chairs (one antique-ish although it needed sanded and revarnished) for $5 a pop. They also had a somewhat nice looking leather (or fake) ottoman/bench/stowaway thing for $40. It looked like a store model and when I got home, I showed my sister who was along the the Kohl's flyer in that dya's paper where they had the same one advertised as an early bird special for $99.99. I didn't look over it a ton, but didn't see anything noticably wrong with it.

Then there was the "Guitar Hero 3 surplus" sale where massive amounts of GH3 showed up at Goodwills sealed. The Goodwill in Shamokin (not Dam) had it for $14.99 new. Around two weeks later I went to the Goodwill in Lewistown and their copies were $7.99. (Stopped at the one in Shamokin Dam between those and they didn't have any copies.)

:lol: So many PA CAG's reporting hilariously high prices in here lately.

Anyway, yesterday I saw a $39.99 complete fat model :ps2: at the one Salvation Army up the line from me. It was a 30001 model(first frickin' model of the PS2:roll:) with a surprisingly intact warranty seal and an actual Dual Shock 2 with it.

I just kinda shook my head and snickered.

Then again, the $20 N64 that was there a week or two earlier was gone as was the other PS2 I think they had there for $30. So someone is buying these used systems. But when it comes to game hardware, it's gotta be cheap unless I can fully test it, then I might pay like $15-20 for a working PS2/Xbox. But with no wires or controller my price is like $10 at most.

[quote name='pyoobez']
Then there was the "Guitar Hero 3 surplus" sale where massive amounts of GH3 showed up at Goodwills sealed. The Goodwill in Shamokin (not Dam) had it for $14.99 new. Around two weeks later I went to the Goodwill in Lewistown and their copies were $7.99. (Stopped at the one in Shamokin Dam between those and they didn't have any copies.)[/QUOTE]

There has to be an el hoardo that goes and clears these out as when i go they only have fucking madden 03 or so for fucking 18 or more >.> Only thing i've seen soeone buy at the shamokin dam goodwill was a "I'm a hot grandpa" [something along those lines] t-shirt that he got to wear under his shoulder pads for football

[quote name='Kovorkian']There has to be an el hoardo that goes and clears these out as when i go they only have fucking madden 03 or so for fucking 18 or more >.> Only thing i've seen soeone buy at the shamokin dam goodwill was a "I'm a hot grandpa" [something along those lines] t-shirt that he got to wear under his shoulder pads for football[/QUOTE]
:lol:I almost bought a WCW Security t-shirt at the one Salvation Army here yesterday, along with a handful of other shirts with sayings on them. But I decided against it, since I likely would've only bought it to resell to a wrestling fan since I doubt I'd wear it.

bread's done
Back