Thrift Store Stupidity!!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol:I almost bought a WCW Security t-shirt at the one Salvation Army here yesterday, along with a handful of other shirts with sayings on them. But I decided against it, since I likely would've only bought it to resell to a wrestling fan since I doubt I'd wear it.[/QUOTE]

As a wrestling fan, some of those WCW Security shirts and others that were pre-buyout are worth money, a few are fairly common though and show up on ebay a lot. There are some rare security/backstage shirts from when WCW taped at Disney that feature both their logos. Those were from the early 90's and I've seen go for $50-$100 on ebay. Then again, most of the shirts from that time period can get that much cash.

Still, there's a few problems with buying them. Number one is making sure they're authentic as they did a lot of third party ones for stores like K-Mart and JC Penney. (Most of mine were from JC Penney as I bought up a ton on clearance for $1 or so each). Another is a lot of them were black shirts and somewhat cheaply made at that so they faded like crazy.

I used to go through the clothes a lot as I've been wearing 29x30 jeans for 15 years now and most guys seem to average wearing them a year or less. Plus, I'm incredibly skinny so vintage clothes seem to fit better when I can find them. Oh, and I pretty much refuse to pay more than $5 for a t-shirt anymore.

I have a ton of clothes right now though so I pretty much quit. My best finds were pretty much all from the Salvation Army in Sunbury, though. A vintage 80's-ish blue Puma shirt that fits me great and a PA government logo shirt that's fun to wear to see people acting nicer/more respectful to me in.

I had a good stop at Goodwill last night, even though they are stupid. They recently reorganized the store and moved DVDs and CDs to the very back of the store. This last week they decided that keeping DVDs behind the counter was too much work, so now they are all just in the cases, waiting to be stolen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see empty game cases everywhere at one of my local Goodwills. Its like. "Seriously, you guys are just asking for it to be stolen." But I think they got smart and are placing them in the back of the register. Its good but its a bitch to get a good look.

At least the other store has it behind the case.

[quote name='Olengie']I see empty game cases everywhere at one of my local Goodwills. Its like. "Seriously, you guys are just asking for it to be stolen." But I think they got smart and are placing them in the back of the register. Its good but its a bitch to get a good look.

At least the other store has it behind the case.[/QUOTE]

It's a catch 22. If you leave high theft items like CDs, Video Games, and Movies accessible to anyone, you're just opening up your door to shoplifters. Leave them in a jewlery case or behind a counter, and you'll never sell anything because people won't be able to browse. Leave the empty cases out on the floor, and keep the discs in a binder behind the register and A. You turn the whole thing into a big hassle for everyone and B. 9 times out of 10 they won't be able to find the disc you want to buy and you'll be SOL anyways. Oh, and people will still steal the empty cases anyways just because they can.

[quote name='pyoobez']As a wrestling fan, some of those WCW Security shirts and others that were pre-buyout are worth money, a few are fairly common though and show up on ebay a lot. There are some rare security/backstage shirts from when WCW taped at Disney that feature both their logos. Those were from the early 90's and I've seen go for $50-$100 on ebay. Then again, most of the shirts from that time period can get that much cash.

Still, there's a few problems with buying them. Number one is making sure they're authentic as they did a lot of third party ones for stores like K-Mart and JC Penney. (Most of mine were from JC Penney as I bought up a ton on clearance for $1 or so each). Another is a lot of them were black shirts and somewhat cheaply made at that so they faded like crazy.

I used to go through the clothes a lot as I've been wearing 29x30 jeans for 15 years now and most guys seem to average wearing them a year or less. Plus, I'm incredibly skinny so vintage clothes seem to fit better when I can find them. Oh, and I pretty much refuse to pay more than $5 for a t-shirt anymore.

I have a ton of clothes right now though so I pretty much quit. My best finds were pretty much all from the Salvation Army in Sunbury, though. A vintage 80's-ish blue Puma shirt that fits me great and a PA government logo shirt that's fun to wear to see people acting nicer/more respectful to me in.[/QUOTE]
The WCW Security shirt I saw was the new logo they had for a few years before the buyout. It had it in a smaller size on the front of the shirt and a bigger size on the back with the word security under it on front AND back I believe.

I saw a Vii at goodwill today. And no that was not a typo. It appeared to be a rip off o the wii from china. The best part? They only wanted $30 for it XD

[quote name='spmahn']It's a catch 22. If you leave high theft items like CDs, Video Games, and Movies accessible to anyone, you're just opening up your door to shoplifters. Leave them in a jewlery case or behind a counter, and you'll never sell anything because people won't be able to browse. Leave the empty cases out on the floor, and keep the discs in a binder behind the register and A. You turn the whole thing into a big hassle for everyone and B. 9 times out of 10 they won't be able to find the disc you want to buy and you'll be SOL anyways. Oh, and people will still steal the empty cases anyways just because they can.[/QUOTE]

Another issue might be some people might see something they want, open it to check to see if the disk is scratched, find it empty, and assume it's been stolen.

I've done this before. I didn't think to mention it to the staff or ask if they kept the discs behind the counter until after I left.

[quote name='mguiddy']Another issue might be some people might see something they want, open it to check to see if the disk is scratched, find it empty, and assume it's been stolen.

I've done this before. I didn't think to mention it to the staff or ask if they kept the discs behind the counter until after I left.[/QUOTE]
That's my problem at times too. But the one time I asked this little indy thrift store if I could check their CD binders for games that may not have cases to them. I found about 10-15 PS1/PS2 games that had no cases on the shelves and asked if I could buy those ones in a bulk lot.

They told me to come back some other day or gave me some other excuse and I never bothered asking again. If the store were right down the street from my house I wouldn't have cared, but the store is a good 25 minute or so ride and I only ever get there maybe once every 2-3 weeks.

Technically a pawn shop... but close enough.

Walked into a pawn shop I like and get good deals at. See a HUGE stack of NES/SNES games. I get really excited because this place is usually around 2-4 dollars a game. Got Mario Party 3 there last week for 4.99, got Phantasy Star 0 for 2.99, I get a lot of good deals. Walk up and start looking through them and my jaw drops...

Dragon Warrior 3: 39.99
Mega Man 3: 12.99
Punch Out: 12.99
Mario 3: 9.99
Super Mario Kart: 9.99
Battletoads: 14.99

That's just off the top of my head. They had a LOT of good ones, but all at Ebay prices. I asked them as they are usually cheap and they said they looked them up on Ebay because of how many it was.I just laughed and asked if they would consider making me a deal on a few of them if I bought a few and they said maybe if they sit a few weeks. At those prices, they could. I said okay, maybe I'll check back in a few weeks, but if I wanted to pay Ebay prices I'd buy them on Ebay.

The Goodwill and Salvation Army here never have anything good. Best product I found at either has been Veronica Mars Season 2.

Now, Value Village is a different story. They get some real gems on occasion, but their TV series season sets (specifically the bigger thick ones) are usually $10-$15 at least and are heavily worn. They also have a problem with people stealing the discs (leaving the case empty) or putting a different disc in there.

On the other hand, I would have never known that 4Kids sold a DVD containing just 1 one episode (a Part 2 episode at that!) of G.I. Joe Sigma Six without them.

bread's done
Back