Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I just noticed system shock on that list. Im not sure what it goes for, but I played it and the second one with my dad when I was younger. If you havent heard of it, its the "spiritual prequel" to bioshock 1/2. Although, It's atmosphere is leagues above bioshock imo, and I loved bioshock

Ya, those are some great PC games. I loved Sierra point and click games back in the day, especially KQ5 and SQ4.

Earlier today I went to a goodwill and spotted a textbook from 2008. I left it there and checked it at home, turns out it sells well at about $70. I went back literally less than 45 minutes later and it was gone.

This happens to me so often, always ruins my day:bomb:

[quote name='Potatoeman']Earlier today I went to a goodwill and spotted a textbook from 2008. I left it there and checked it at home, turns out it sells well at about $70. I went back literally less than 45 minutes later and it was gone.

This happens to me so often, always ruins my day:bomb:[/QUOTE]
You could ask them to hold it, then say you have an emergency or something and need to leave quickly ;o

I got a pair of headphones, some mechanical pencils.. nothing much since they had an accident and couldn't put out any good stuff.

I stopped by a local shopping center yesterday and noticed they're putting a new Goodwill store in an old Rite Aid store. The list of exclusions of stuff they'd take was hilarious though. No large appliances, no tv's, no dvd players/vcr's, and so on.

Although the one item I totally agree with it being excluded(no 'homemade' DVD's/CD's/VHS tapes, aka copies), since the local Salvation Army stores seem to always be flooded with those.:roll:

[quote name='Segasonic01']^ I wonder whats on them. You should buy some & find out.[/QUOTE]
Knowing my luck there would be every computer virus known to man loaded up on one which would nuke my pc in half a second.

Although I do remember seeing a couple articles about people buying VHS tapes from the Salvation Army that they thought were blank, only to find that someone had made their own XXX movie and that's what was on the tape.:lol:

I stopped by 3 thrift stores today and ended up picking up lots of stuff.

photo-8.jpg

PS1 Parasitve Eve $1.99 (complete except missing demo disc; disc1 has a few light scratches and disc2 is mint)
Sega Genesis (CIB) $1.99 each: Shinobi III, Skitchin'
Pacman Plug and Play $4.99 (I've never seen this particular one in thrift stores before so I just decided to buy it.)
black Nintendo Gamecube $2.99 (it has lots of scratches on right side, but it is still in good condition)

photo-10.jpg

Frank Kozik 8 inch Dunny $3.99 :hot: (I love my designer vinyl toys!!!)
The Simpsons figures $2.49 each: Mr. Burns, Martin, Krusty the Clown
sealed PC game Sonic's Schoolhouse $3.99
sealed Star Wars The Muppets 200 piece 2-side puzzle $3.99

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I stopped by a local shopping center yesterday and noticed they're putting a new Goodwill store in an old Rite Aid store. The list of exclusions of stuff they'd take was hilarious though. No large appliances, no tv's, no dvd players/vcr's, and so on.

Although the one item I totally agree with it being excluded(no 'homemade' DVD's/CD's/VHS tapes, aka copies), since the local Salvation Army stores seem to always be flooded with those.:roll:[/QUOTE]

My local not-the-Goodwill has a VHS of the TV version of Halloween III and I can't imagine why nobody's bought it yet.

There were some legit Hellraiser videos I kind of regret not getting now, the original was some weird yellow version I'd never seen before. I didn't think to look at the date on it, but it was definitely from the 80s so it probably played like crap, anyway. With my luck, watch it be worth a bajillion dollars.

So I think this was a good find though I have to see cuz I'm probably gonna flip the lot of it. Went to a random Goodwill and got all of the following for $44 and change:

1 Dreamcast console with all the hookups and two controllers and a memory card. The console and and stuff is in excellent condition with no marks and looks brand new.

Included with the bundle was 14 games, 4 of which were unopened and still wrapped. The opened games are in immaculate condition and all of the jewel cases look brand new. The games are as follows:
Opened:
Soul Calibur
Sonic Adventures (X2)
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Volume 1
Pen Pen TrilceLon
NHL 2K
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing 2
Chu Chu Rocket
Centipede
Sonic Shuffle

The following are the 4 unopened games. If anyone has any insight on the value of these please let me know.

Crazy Taxi (Sega All Stars)
Nightmare Creatures II
Tomb Raider Chronicles
Soul Calibur

Like I said, I think this is a great deal and any info on actual value of all of this together would be awesome. You gotta love a good deal.

[quote name='kk012']
photo-10.jpg

Frank Kozik 8 inch Dunny $3.99 :hot: (I love my designer vinyl toys!!!)
The Simpsons figures $2.49 each: Mr. Burns, Martin, Krusty the Clown
sealed PC game Sonic's Schoolhouse $3.99
sealed Star Wars The Muppets 200 piece 2-side puzzle $3.99[/QUOTE]

Wanna trade the Sonic's Schoolhouse?

You mean those gay ass Kidrobot figures are farther than just here? I get so sick of the hype ove rthem.. CSRs in the stores that sell them ignore customers to talk to other customers about them. Lame. I'll be glad to see them go away. :D

Closest thing I found to a thrift store find today was a copy of Lego Indy (PS3) for $5. Word. Second copy of the day.

Hit my local thrift store that has yard sale leftovers. Heres what I found.

100_0561.jpg

Dreamcast-
Sonic Adventures
Street Fighter III Double Impact
Monaco Grand Prix

Xbox-
SSx tricky- PH
Ford Mustang: The Legend Lives

All complete all for $5.
The dreamcast games were hiding in the CD collection.
Going to Goozex and my tradelist

damn this made it to almost halfway down page 2, nobody been to Goodwill lately? Ive been working alot recently but i plan on getting to mine today or tomorrow.

[quote name='LaughingGnome']Have you guys ever seen Neo Geo Aes stuff at thrift stores?[/QUOTE]
i wish!

the closest ive ever gotten was a neogeo pocket color for $5.

Actually, to comment on the Neo Geo stuff since phear brought it back up, I found a Neo Geo at a Half Price Books of all places a couple weeks back.

It was priced at $25, but it had a sticker that said the sound didnt work. I took the N64 sitting next to it instead. It was during the 50% off coupon sale so I was pretty tempted, but couldnt pass on an n64 since I had been looking for one.

EDIT: Also Adriley, that "Street Fighter III Double Impact" game is worth a nice bit of money if youre thinking of flipping it. I found a bundle of fighting games for dreamcast and sold them as a lot and ended up raking in about $80. Without that game it would have been around $50 I imagine.

not exactly video games but...

I got mac os x leopard 10.5.4 retail version for $5.99 :D

and picked up a secret codes for consoles and handhelds 2007 for $.49
at Goodwill

Stopped by my local Goodwill the other day, they had a few stacks of N64 games. Picked up the following for $2 each:

Killer Instinct
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Mortal Kombat 4
Diddy Kong Racing
Starfox 64
Bomber Man 64
GameShark Pro V3.1

The GameShark is confusing me, everywhere I look I can only find 3.0, 3.2, and 3.3. Anybody know why that is?

[quote name='faa8146']Stopped by my local Goodwill the other day, they had a few stacks of N64 games. Picked up the following for $2 each:

Killer Instinct
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Mortal Kombat 4
Diddy Kong Racing
Starfox 64
Bomber Man 64
GameShark Pro V3.1

The GameShark is confusing me, everywhere I look I can only find 3.0, 3.2, and 3.3. Anybody know why that is?[/QUOTE]

Didn't you just find the 3.1?

I went to a thrift the other day and found a jewel-case copy of Lords of the Realm II for $2, a copy of crash bandicoot for $2.

Just before I checked out I ran across a sealed big-box copy of Lord of the Realm II for, yep, $2!!

[quote name='juangrande386']damn this made it to almost halfway down page 2, nobody been to Goodwill lately? Ive been working alot recently but i plan on getting to mine today or tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
I've been to a bunch of Salvation Army and Goodwill stores lately, but there's never anything good that's not overpriced($3 NES games, $4-5 Genesis games), so I never end up picking up anything.

Case in point, I found some Sesame Street game for the NES yesterday that had two games on it(only worth $3 according to vgpc.com)for $2.99, so I left it there.

I don't know how the hell you guys manage to find so many games for $1-2 each at so many stores. The ones here almost always price shit like it's made of gold.:roll:

Same for me IATCG. I find PS1 system all the time marked at $20/25. Game boy pockets marked at $20, gamecubes at $30(really, gamestop prices?), etc.

Whenever I see games theyre always marked att he flat 4.99, no matter the system etc.

[quote name='Potatoeman']Same for me IATCG. I find PS1 system all the time marked at $20/25. Game boy pockets marked at $20, gamecubes at $30(really, gamestop prices?), etc.

Whenever I see games theyre always marked att he flat 4.99, no matter the system etc.[/QUOTE]

market at my local gw seems to fluctuate for example all disc games in dvd cases (so ps2 on up) was at 9.99 for a while, didn't sell and are starting to see them at 6.99 again, in a bit they will be back to 4.99. Its a pattern they sell, sell, sell (so obviously should be marked up), then they sit and get marked back down eventually.

on a side note saw a gamecube (i think it was missing a/v) with donkey jungle beat and bongas (no other controller) for 49.99, and as i was leaving i saw someone looking at it. I'll bet anything its gone before i go again.

I guess Book Off counts as a thrift store...

Went there today while getting an oil change nearby, and they were selling some GBC and GBA games for the first time we've ever seen them.

Picked up for $5 each:
GBC Monster Rancher Battle Card complete
GBC Megaman Xtreme 2
GBC Dragon Warrior III
GBA Castlevania Double Pack
GBA Zelda Four Swords
GBA Golden Sun The Lost Age

They also had :360:BlazBlue for $7, but I didn't pick it up. Most everything else was overpriced. They also had used Japanese DS games for $75.

Nothing incredibly notable today. Haven't been out in a while, but it didn't seem like I missed anything. There were a couple expensive-looking boxsets at the Goodwill; a Sex and the City, a 90210 and a Hellboy, nothing I especially care about but I do wonder who buys those things just to throw them out.

Also, at the Volunteers there were two Michael Jackson cassettes, Thriller and Dangerous, both used and both locked behind the counter for $24.99. I don't know who I want to punch more, the person who priced them or the person who is undoubtedly going to buy them.

I hate when they price everything so fucking high, and the overpriced crap stays there usually for months on end. Why don't they just lower it? Is it that hard? I mean I bet if it was half the price at least more people would buy the crap and have them making money instead of it sitting around..

I got a banana with sunglasses.

[quote name='TiKi2']Didn't you just find the 3.1?[/QUOTE]
What I meant was I can only find prices for the 3.0, 3.2, and 3.3.
It's not super important though, I'll probably just throw the N64 games up on ebay as a bundle.

My best find was a perfect condition Donkey Kong Country boxed and complete for the snes. It looked like it was just opened up and I only payed 79 cents for it. It is my favorite game so I already had it but not ever boxed.

Here is my latest pick up

photo15.jpg

Sealed N64 pak - 3.99
Sealed Star Wars Rouge Squadron - 3.99
Sealed Jet Force Gemini - 3.99
Sealed Quake - 3.99
Call of Duty WaW - 4.99
Rumble pack - 3.99
Illbleed Dreamcast - 2.99
Sonic Shuffle Dreamcast - 2.99
Jurassic park guide - .32
Nike Jordan XI lows - 4.99

I picked up a Sirius radio receiver today from a Goodwill down the line from me. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have an account on it, then again it didn't come with an antenna to be able to fully receive the programming, so maybe I got lucky and found a receiver with a lifetime sub on it.

I'm debating if I wanna just throw it on my TL or try and find a cheap Sirius antenna for it. Maybe I'll just hit up Radio Shack tomorrow and see if they have an antenna I could test it with.

It does power on when in the cradle it came in, so I'm hopeful it's a good radio and I didn't take a gamble on it for nothing.

It's a JVC, model #KT-SR2000. It has a lot of scratches on the screen, but the keypad portion of the receiver is in great shape.

It's THIS model: http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-KT-SR2000-S...802099?pt=Satellite_Radio&hash=item3cafc292b3

But unfortunately I don't have the antenna for it, but I DO have the docking station and a normal wall power adapter for it.

So I think I got a hell of a deal on this item, considering the one I found on Ebay is being sold for $175.:D A similar set, but with the antenna I'm missing and a car power adapter sold for $55.

So I still got a hell of a deal on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other day I got these:

Super Mario 64 cart only $4.99
GTA 4 Xbox 360 for $4.99
Beyond Good and Evil for PS2 $3.99
Operation C (contra) for Gameboy $1.99
Knight of the Old Republic II for xbox 360 $4.99 and its complete

I stopped at a Salvation Army store I normally find games at yesterday, but instead of finding games I found two kits for the Sirius radio receiver I picked up last week from Goodwill.

Since I haven't called Sirius as of yet to see if there's still perhaps a subscription on this unit I didn't want to pick one of these up until I knew for sure.

They wanted $10 for each set, so that was another reason I didn't pick one up too.:bomb:

Other than that, the store had one NES game(Astayanax or something like that) and only one DVD that was even half worth it(the original Oceans 11 with the Rat Pack) for $4.

South Street Thrift Store

$12 Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - mint condition, no damage to the box whatsoever, and the cloth still in its sealed packaging.
$5 Xenogears Black Label - No Manual :(
$5 Beyond and Beyond - Complete

$10 Vintage Lakers Jacket - Very Rare. I did a quick search on eBay, the jacket like mine goes for $90-$150 in used condition.

$75 Bianchi Road Bike 53 CM - OMG! - fixy conversion baby

[quote name='postaboy']South Street Thrift Store

$12 Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - mint condition, no damage to the box whatsoever, and the cloth still in its sealed packaging.
$5 Xenogears Black Label - No Manual :(
$5 Beyond and Beyond - Complete

$10 Vintage Lakers Jacket - Very Rare. I did a quick search on eBay, the jacket like mine goes for $90-$150 in used condition.

$75 Bianchi Road Bike 53 CM - OMG! - fixy conversion baby[/QUOTE]

Dang you found a Bianchi, that right there is awesome! With the games and the bike you sir had one hell of a thrift store pickup! Congrats!

There's nothing like going to the thrift store and realizing you can't afford anything there to put you in a wonderful and loving mood.

Having said that, there was a big pile of N64 controllers and one NES Zapper, which means A) there was a giant haul earlier today, and B) some jerk snagged the consoles and left the cables and controllers. It's usually grandmothers, too, as opposed to just nerds which is why I have a problem with it. They're either hoarders or incredibly out of touch. There was a pile of N64 carts, Starfox, Wave Race, Blast Corps, and Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey that I would have picked up if I had the money, but they were all $4.94, so meh.

There was a Mike Tyson's Punchout (on the women's shoe counter) that I hope is still there tomorrow, along with something I hid. I know that's an unpopular thing to do but I'm well aware that I'm a douche and I'm OK with it.

Punch-Out was still there today, although it was on a different women's shoe shelf, next to a cassette of Aenima by Tool for $.50. I noticed the Thriller tape was now $4.99 and there was a second one next to it, which leads me to believe someone bought the copy of Dangerous for $25.

So I picked it up as well as the one from last night that I hid in a milk crate of LPs:

picture002cq.jpg

I've been slacking on my NES stuff for a while so I'm happy to have these. For some reason they mark the prices in brown crayon, which, fortunately, they wrote on the Zelda label instead of the cart because I'm going to need alcohol or something for Punch-Out. Looks like it's gonna be a busy night. There were a bunch of PS2 games, the most notable being Smackdown vs. Raw 2007, but they all cost more than they're worth.

In non-gaming matters, I found a pretty cool iHome for $3 and I've been wanting a one for a while. I'm gonna go back and try it out, it didn't have the adapter but it also ran on batteries which is great because this house has no freakin' outlets and I want a wireless one for my bookshelf. There was a pair of monitors that looked pretty nice but I just bought some new ones the other day. Meh.

At the Goodwill there was this awesome Halloween release from 1981, as well as the exact same weird yellow Hellraiser I found at the other store a few weeks ago. I wanted to buy it but I already have 27 copies of Halloween, thanks Anchor Bay. There's also some kind of shiny gold two-piece suit for $6 that blows my mind every time I see it. It's like a smoking jacket but it's got the pants as well, I don't know if that's a normal thing or not.

Went back and got the iHome, it's for the old shuffle so I can't dock mine, I don't think, but it's got a line-in so for $3 I'm just happy it works as speakers and a bonus alarm clock. I couldn't get it to work in the store, so I took it home on the chance that it just needed new batteries. Turns out all it needed was for me to find the on button. -_- Just so the trip wasn't a total loss in case it didn't work, I grabbed Starfox 64 and a rumble pak. There was one laying on the shelf for $1.91, and another one in a controller for $.90. Duh.

I stopped at the same Salvation Army I hit up a week ago that had nothing of interest and found the following(but did NOT buy anything):

*Terminator 2("Extreme" steelbook edition, steelbook sleeve though and not the actual case, which was getting ripped apart by the steelbook sleeve, both discs were mint)
*Various modern band cds(Staind, etc)

I also found a TI-85 graphing calculator for $1.99, but both the main watch battery sized battery was dead in it as were the four AA's in it, so without a way to test it I left it. I know they go for about $40-50 online, but I didn't wanna even take the chance on it being a brick or working for $2. Plus it was scummy as hell and the case and sleeve for it were scratched to hell(screen was in great shape though).

Interesting day at Goodwill. They had nothing in the cases for video games other than a few old PS2 sports titles priced at $10 each. So, I walked around and found an opened, but new Robotech Defenders Zoltek model kit from 1984-85; with the model pieces still sealed in plastic. As I was walking up to pay...

...I stopped at a shopping cart one of the employees was using to stock some shelves. In the bottom was a phat Playstation 2 complete with Network Adapter. I asked the price and the gal said that it didn't come with cables, so it was untested and As-Is at $2.00. Well, that's a no-brainer. I grabbed it and checked out. As I carried it to the car, I thought it felt a little heavy, so I opened it up and out popped a Maxtor 120GB hard drive!

Plugged the PS2 in and it plays games perfectly. Now I just need to figure out exactly what's actually ON that hard drive...

SA finds for the week:

N64 Star Fox 64 (complete except for the rumble)
N64 Wave Race (complete)
PS1 Marvel Super Heroes (disc only)
PS2 Devil May Cry 3 (complete)
Fallout 3 Prima Guide

[quote name='SteelSD']Interesting day at Goodwill. They had nothing in the cases for video games other than a few old PS2 sports titles priced at $10 each. So, I walked around and found an opened, but new Robotech Defenders Zoltek model kit from 1984-85; with the model pieces still sealed in plastic. As I was walking up to pay...

...I stopped at a shopping cart one of the employees was using to stock some shelves. In the bottom was a phat Playstation 2 complete with Network Adapter. I asked the price and the gal said that it didn't come with cables, so it was untested and As-Is at $2.00. Well, that's a no-brainer. I grabbed it and checked out. As I carried it to the car, I thought it felt a little heavy, so I opened it up and out popped a Maxtor 120GB hard drive!

Plugged the PS2 in and it plays games perfectly. Now I just need to figure out exactly what's actually ON that hard drive...[/QUOTE]

Sweet deal! I haven't found shit at my SA stores lately.

At a Savers Thrift Store in Massachusetts today I got for the NES:

Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!!
Double Dribble
Anticipation
Disney Adventures in the Magic Kingdom

$3.99 for the four of them, which is surprising because at the local Savers stores in in CT they usually want $3.99 each. I actually don't want / need Double Dribble, Punch Out!!!, or Anticipation, but Adventure in the Magic Kingdom is a game I played a lot as a kid but could never beat, and now it's on the list of games I have to finish. The problem with the game is that the Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion stages have some very precise jumps that are damn near impossible to make.

Regardless, from the looks of it, I can flip Mike Tyson's Punch Out on eBay for about $10, so I should at least be able to get my money back.

Well it finally happened. I can now save some gas by skipping the furthest Goodwill I go to. I saw quite a few games in the glass case but I start looking and they have each game individually priced. No $4 each, they were $5-$30. Mario Party 5 cart only was $30. I had to double check that I hadnt accidentally walked into the used gamestore next door. Anybody want Wayne Gretzky hockey on SNES for $8 or some original Gameboy games for $10 or $16? How about $10 for Tony Hawk 1 on N64? I went to my other 2 Goodwills that arent by gamestores and wouldnt ya know it, the games were $4 each.

i went to the local goodwill near my school and there was like 5 games all ps2 or xbox, nothing that seemed worth my time

I found not one, but two Playstations at the Goodwill today which helped further my theory that there's always a Playstation at the Goodwill. Sentimental favorite, found a PSX Doom which I've never seen in the wild in my life. REALLY should have bought it, or at least learn to not go to the thrift stores for entertainment when I have no money on me. Did see an old lady walking around with a WWE spinner, though, so that was awesome.

Also saw a SC:Conviction novel, I didn't know such a thing existed but I've already played the game and I'm pretty sure the novel wouldn't have had Deniable Ops.

On a serious note, saw two fat hick dykes screaming at and beating a little girl; the baby was screaming her head off the entire time I was in there, and pretty much everyone was kind of glancing around at each other and nobody was leaving the store. I didn't have my phone on me or else I would have made the call; there were a couple ladies about to do the same so I felt better, at least. For some reason this was the one time there wasn't a random cop driving around that complex. I hate how easy it is for just anyone to have kids, the poor things are fucked from birth any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back