Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a boxed NES control deck (system, all cables, 1 controller, Super Mario Bros 1- basically, the NES for cheapskates) for $20! The box is in good condition. It also includes a poster of a bunch of NES games. I love it when people keep their system complete.

nice score Shazyzang

yesterday i got a NES control deck that's all yellowed and dirty with Super mario inside, no cords or controllers, labeled as-is for $7. i hooked it up and it works better than my original NES.

Scored both of them at a local thrift store for $8. Now, I need to find a cheap working SNES.

sd532327.jpg

A little bit of finds from all over lately. My big thrift store finds were two boxed NES games: Vegas Dream and Castle Quest. Also picked up a ~40ish piece Sega CD insta-collection today too. Pictures are on the gamerscurse blog in my sig.

Snes- yellowed, ac adapter, composite cable-$8

Snes version2- system only-$5

N64- system only, expansion pack- $10

Excitebike64- in a Blockbuster vhs case with tape sticker on label so i cant remove it-$4

Favorite find, Official Street Fight Anniversary Edition Arcade Stick for PS2 or Xbox- $20. This thing is huge....thats what she said. Sorry been watching alot of The Office lately.

DS lite all black with charging cable --$40 (light scratches on outside and 1 small scratch on bottom left of upper screen otherwise works and is fine)

White Wii controller --$3 (dirty but , works and nothing a little cleaning will not fix)

Got lucky on this haul. Now to get some DS games!!! the one i have is sudoku ball detective thanks to best buy lol!! (found at 2 local goodwills)

Nice find dirt. My brother and I shared the Michaelangelo one when we were pretty young, which I still have in my closet. :) I don't think it had a belt, mine doesn't btw.

I've been going to a bunch of thrift stores lately mainly for records & vintage film projectors. Haven't really looked for much gaming stuff but I should start.

Some stuff I picked up:
$2 - Burt Reynolds in Paternity LaserDisc
$3 - Jethro Tull Aqualung LP
$2 - Orson Wells War of the Worlds broadcast
$25 - Elmo ST-180

Last edited by a moderator:
PS2 with network adapter attached both work, $20
Final Fantasy II with box and inserts snes $5!!!
Mario Allstars Snes $5
Zelda Snes $5

Hit up my local Goodwill yesterday.

Sadly, all I saw were PS and PS2 games. Nothing I was interested in. Then I run across a 3rd party RF Switch for the NES/SNES/Genesis (non II), etc. I go to pick it up and the box is empty. The lid is off too. I look around... nothing. Seriously, who the hell steals a $2 RF Switch? Same thing with a few other boxed items around the store I glanced at like an electronic dog collar. (That one even had the empy plastic shell from inside laying next to it.)

Went to leave and I noticed an opened Memorex Blu-Ray player in the display case for $50. Likely a Target return, but with the early Blu-Ray problems and my overall lack of interest in Blu-Ray right now, I just avoided it.

It's a shame, really. That Blockbuster used to be great. In fact, they were the last one around to switch over from the color-coded aisles. Now it seems the employees don't care and people are lifting stuff that costs chump change.

Got to Salvation Army today. Snagged a copy of Sword of Vermillion for .50. In box with manual. Sadly, no 108 page hint book as advertised. :(

Usually selection there stinks, but they did have about a dozen XBox titles overpriced at $5.75 and a handful of Game Gear titles for $2.50. I was tempted to pick up Sonic 2 and Road Rash, but I don't have a Game Gear.

Not as good as Monday but I got a Wireless Guitar Hero 4 controller for Xbox360-$6
Picked it up cus one of my GH3 Les Pauls never gets a good connection between the neck and the body and im always missing notes on Rockband3. So far this one works better than both guitars I have.

At the local Goodwil today I picked up a complete copy of Kings of the Beach for NES that looks like it was just removed from the factory seal, but never played, paid 1.99.

Towards the back of the store I noticed a newish looking Atari 2600 in the original box with all the original parts. The box was beat up, but it looked neat, but then I saw the price sticker, which read 29.99 :roll:

I might have bit on it for 9.99, but anyone who pays $29.99 is out of their mind. I already have an Atari 2600 in storage anyways, so there would be little point in buying another.

^ lol goodwill near my house has a 1st gen. xbox in the box with 8 games, 5 of which are sports titles. All for the low price of $100.00 plus Tax! lol.

Hit a Goodwill today on a study break to get my husky some food. A bit surprised that I found some cart only games as this Goodwill has never been good for games. I got

Outrunners (GEN)
Super Smash TV (SNES)
Total Carnage (SNES)
Clayfighter Tournament Edition (SNES, to sell)
Tecmo Super Bowl III Final Edition (SNES)

The Tecmo Bowl is kind of ironic, have randomly been asked about if I had that a few times lately when people come in and see my SNES hooked up (you'd think they want my NES one). So now I have them for them to crap around with. After going on over a year and a half game collecting hiatus, my return in the last few months have been fruitful.

I also got a 360 Street Fighter 4 Tournament Stick (like new in box) for $50 on Craig's list.

I FINALLY picked something up tonight at the local Goodwill.

I picked up Wing Commander III for PS1 and Star Wars: Empire At War Gold Pack for $4.22 total.

WC III has mostly light scratches on all discs, but it's the long box variety and the discs don't all fit on the little spindle in there.:cry: Plus the manual for it has an ancient EB Games sticker on it.

SW: EAWGP has some light scratches on the disc, but it came complete with the Prima mini guide in it.:D

This isnt gaming related but at my local Goodwill i picked up a pair of mint condition Nike Air Force Ones for 20 bucks. I might post a picture of them even though they are kind of dirty after ive been wearing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Goodwill had a Terminator 2 game for a Sega System. I forgot if it was a MS or a MD one. I also saw for $8 each, The Office UK S1 and S2, The Office US S5, and S1 of Stargate SG1. Obviously I picked nothing up.

The Sims 3, brand new, still in packagining for $6. (5 copies, snagged them all). Got Christmas presents covered for my female friends.

[quote name='preston181']The Sims 3, brand new, still in packagining for $6. (5 copies, snagged them all). Got Christmas presents covered for my female friends.[/QUOTE]
Dang somebody took Kmart/walmart for a ride.:drool:

Holy mother f'ing crap! I just hit the friggin' mother load tonight!

Recently, a Goodwill Outlet store opened in the area. At the outlet stores, they literally sell merchandise by the pound, on a scales rate. 1-10lbs = 1.99/lb, 10-25 = 1.59/lb, 25-50lb = .99/lb and 50+ .59/lb. Suffice to say, we bought a lot of crap tonight. Tons of toys, ornaments, etc. And we just happened to be there when they brought out restocked bins and that's when the miracles happened:

Basically, I bought all of this stuff for $.59/lb, working out to roughly $10-15.

The only problem is FF7 Disc 1 is cracked, but for $.20, it's still worth it. ;) Also, the Star Wars VHS is the original 1984 release in very good condition.

[quote name='sp00ge']Holy mother f'ing crap! I just hit the friggin' mother load tonight!

Recently, a Goodwill Outlet store opened in the area. At the outlet stores, they literally sell merchandise by the pound, on a scales rate. 1-10lbs = 1.99/lb, 10-25 = 1.59/lb, 25-50lb = .99/lb and 50+ .59/lb. Suffice to say, we bought a lot of crap tonight. Tons of toys, ornaments, etc. And we just happened to be there when they brought out restocked bins and that's when the miracles happened:

Basically, I bought all of this stuff for $.59/lb, working out to roughly $10-15.

The only problem is FF7 Disc 1 is cracked, but for $.20, it's still worth it. ;) Also, the Star Wars VHS is the original 1984 release in very good condition.[/QUOTE]

Nice haul. I thought they only sold clothes by the pound. I also thought I was the only one in the world with a VHS player.

[quote name='sp00ge']Holy mother f'ing crap! I just hit the friggin' mother load tonight!

The only problem is FF7 Disc 1 is cracked, but for $.20, it's still worth it. ;) Also, the Star Wars VHS is the original 1984 release in very good condition.[/QUOTE]

Nice haul, glad you only paid between $10 - $15 for it, because that's about all it would be worth. You can probably sell a few of the SNES games and make your money back, and you can probably get about $10 for Marvel vs Capcom and Maybe $20 for your busted FF7 but otherwise that's a lot of the same junk that piles up at most Goodwill stores around here.

[quote name='spmahn']Nice haul, glad you only paid between $10 - $15 for it, because that's about all it would be worth. You can probably sell a few of the SNES games and make your money back, and you can probably get about $10 for Marvel vs Capcom and Maybe $20 for your busted FF7 but otherwise that's a lot of the same junk that piles up at most Goodwill stores around here.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? After everything is factored, I paid ~$.35 per item. Super mario all stars+smw alone is going for $30+ on amazon.

Also, I'm only planning on reselling a few of these things, the rest are going into my collection. Good luck finding even the crappiest of titles at goodwill for .35 each, let alone collectibles and complete consoles.

[quote name='sp00ge'] Good luck finding even the crappiest of titles at goodwill for .35 each, let alone collectibles and complete consoles.[/QUOTE]

Nice score. I'd jump at the chance to get stuff at that price. Normally the best finds I see at Goodwill are old PC games for 2.97. I've only gone into a Goodwill Outlet store once, and it was all clothes and furniture.

[quote name='sp00ge']Seriously? After everything is factored, I paid ~$.35 per item. Super mario all stars+smw alone is going for $30+ on amazon.

Also, I'm only planning on reselling a few of these things, the rest are going into my collection. Good luck finding even the crappiest of titles at goodwill for .35 each, let alone collectibles and complete consoles.[/QUOTE]

And I just sold super Mario for $32 on amazon. There's my money back and then some from selling just one game.

Those Dreamcast controllers look huge and akward but after trying one out I like them better than the original. It still has the goofy spinning analog stick like the original though.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I FINALLY picked something up tonight at the local Goodwill.

I picked up Wing Commander III for PS1 and Star Wars: Empire At War Gold Pack for $4.22 total.

WC III has mostly light scratches on all discs, but it's the long box variety and the discs don't all fit on the little spindle in there.:cry: Plus the manual for it has an ancient EB Games sticker on it.

SW: EAWGP has some light scratches on the disc, but it came complete with the Prima mini guide in it.:D[/QUOTE]

Wing Commander 3 was pretty boss in the day, I've got one (a double jewel case version) in my collection. :)

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Wing Commander 3 was pretty boss in the day, I've got one (a double jewel case version) in my collection. :)[/QUOTE]
I just can't believe that the longbox version has four discs and only one little spindle that barely fits ONE disc to try and put them on. They were moving around in the case when I bought it.:cry:

But I remember double jewel case versions as I had those originally when I had them in the PS1 era.

:drool:[quote name='sp00ge']And I just sold super Mario for $32 on amazon. There's my money back and then some from selling just one game.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I didn't think SMB Allstars was going for that much. I guess it was a really good score after all!

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Nice pick-up on the Empire at War Gold Pack. I enjoyed that one, even though Galactic Battlegrounds will always be my favorite SW RTS.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Truth be told though it's going to a buddy of mine I've known since HS since he's a huge SW/RTS fan.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I just can't believe that the longbox version has four discs and only one little spindle that barely fits ONE disc to try and put them on. They were moving around in the case when I bought it.:cry:

But I remember double jewel case versions as I had those originally when I had them in the PS1 era.[/QUOTE]

For homeless multi-disc games, you might want to keep an eye out for 50 cent - $1 PC games to use as replacement cases. In the past I've used certain Valve games for this (SIN Episodes: Emergence, the Orange Box--both worthless since somebody already used the Steam activation code). Big ass spindles are the way to go too if you ever ship out any disc-only Final Fantasy or Silent Hill pc games.

I just picked up:

The 11th Hour Big Box Complete in Perfect Condition with the Strategy Guide
The 7th Guest Complete in Perfect Condition
Unopened Beyond Balderdash board game

Grand Total: $7

I did fuck up though as one store I went to had the complete boxes for the CD-Rom versions of Sam and Max Hit The Road and Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis. The games were missing. I should have grabbed the boxes for a buck and then track the discs down. Oh well.

[quote name='spmahn']Nice haul, glad you only paid between $10 - $15 for it, because that's about all it would be worth. You can probably sell a few of the SNES games and make your money back, and you can probably get about $10 for Marvel vs Capcom and Maybe $20 for your busted FF7 but otherwise that's a lot of the same junk that piles up at most Goodwill stores around here.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you have a deranged sense of what video games are worth. Nice haul, by the way, especially since you found all of that at Goodwill.

http://s452.photobucket.com/albums/...re pick-ups/?action=view&current=1258a901.jpg

OMG NFL 2K2, you definitely hit the jackpot, good find!

Scored pretty big today. I think the VGA Box is worth a pretty penny. I'm also unsure of the value of the blue console and pink Sakura Wars stuff. Also one of the black/clear controllers is marked Millennium. All of this stuff was $35
IMG_2103.jpg

[quote name='IkilledLassic']Wow, you have a deranged sense of what video games are worth. Nice haul, by the way, especially since you found all of that at Goodwill.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I underestimated the value of Super Mario Allstars, but Dreamcast, Atari 2600, PS1, and Sega Genesis stuff is all largely worthless (with some exceptions, but none of those exceptions are anything that will turn up at a Thrift Store). Not sure what Disc 2 and 3 only of FF7 would be worth (who would want them?), but maybe I'm wrong. So in conclusion, besides Super Mario Allstars, and maybe FF7, the only other thing of value in that haul is Donkey Kong Country which sells for $5 - $10 on eBay. As far as everything else goes, you'd have a hard time unloading it even on eBay, and if you did, it would be for so little it wouldn't even be worth the effort to pack it up and ship it. So from a monetary perspective, it's 90% junk.

Now that being said, from a video game collectors point of view, this was a great haul. Three consoles, multiple games, many of which being good games, and although none of it may be anything particularly valuable or hard to come by, the price was certainly right, and if that's what you're looking for, then you did great.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I just can't believe that the longbox version has four discs and only one little spindle that barely fits ONE disc to try and put them on. They were moving around in the case when I bought it.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe they're still pulling that crap in this day and age.

[quote name='spmahn']Yeah, I underestimated the value of Super Mario Allstars, but Dreamcast, Atari 2600, PS1, and Sega Genesis stuff is all largely worthless (with some exceptions, but none of those exceptions are anything that will turn up at a Thrift Store). Not sure what Disc 2 and 3 only of FF7 would be worth (who would want them?), but maybe I'm wrong. So in conclusion, besides Super Mario Allstars, and maybe FF7, the only other thing of value in that haul is Donkey Kong Country which sells for $5 - $10 on eBay. As far as everything else goes, you'd have a hard time unloading it even on eBay, and if you did, it would be for so little it wouldn't even be worth the effort to pack it up and ship it. So from a monetary perspective, it's 90% junk.

Now that being said, from a video game collectors point of view, this was a great haul. Three consoles, multiple games, many of which being good games, and although none of it may be anything particularly valuable or hard to come by, the price was certainly right, and if that's what you're looking for, then you did great.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I sold a few of those games already on amazon, sold price listed after Amazon fees and shipping:

Sonic Adventure 2: $35.85
Toy Story: $12.94
Street Fighter 2: $4.00
Mega Man X: $10.99
Donkey Kong Country: $16.50
Super Mario All-Stars + SMW: $32.00

$112.28
-$15 paid for everything
________
97.28 profit

As far as the Disc 2 & 3 for FF7, I just picked up a Disc 1 on eBay for $10, so, yeah. A complete black label copy of FF7 for just over $10 isn't too shabby.

[quote name='moop2001']Scored pretty big today. I think the VGA Box is worth a pretty penny. I'm also unsure of the value of the blue console and pink Sakura Wars stuff. Also one of the black/clear controllers is marked Millennium. All of this stuff was $35
IMG_2103.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling you're going to get at least you're money back on those, especially the Sakura Wars controller/VMU/rumble pak? and if that's an official VGA adapter.

[quote name='sp00ge']Actually, I sold a few of those games already on amazon, sold price listed after Amazon fees and shipping:

Sonic Adventure 2: $35.85
Toy Story: $12.94
Street Fighter 2: $4.00
Mega Man X: $10.99
Donkey Kong Country: $16.50
Super Mario All-Stars + SMW: $32.00

$112.28
-$15 paid for everything
________
97.28 profit

As far as the Disc 2 & 3 for FF7, I just picked up a Disc 1 on eBay for $10, so, yeah. A complete black label copy of FF7 for just over $10 isn't too shabby.[/QUOTE]

That IS pretty good. I don't really follow Amazon prices, I know usually people seem to be willing to pay more on Amazon than they do on eBay, but the fees are higher so I guess it all balances out. DKC, Mega Man X, Toy Story, and Street Fighter can all be found on eBay for less than $10, sometimes less than $5 if you get lucky, so you did really well. I'm not sure what the deal is with Sonic Adventure 2 for Dreamcast, I figured it wasn't worth much since it was re-released for Gamecube, but what do I know? I guess I'll have to dig out my copy and sell it...

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I have a feeling you're going to get at least you're money back on those, especially the Sakura Wars controller/VMU/rumble pak? and if that's an official VGA adapter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's an official VGA so there's some loot. I paid $3 for it so the flip should be good. Also the blue console is an Electronics Boutique limited edition so that may have some retail value as well. The gray console is actually Japanese so I'm not sure what it's value is. Overall it's still a nice haul though I'm surprised it showed up in a Thrift Store as all of this stuff is Japanese or limited which is what a collector would usually have. I'd love to know the backstory on this stuff.

Hit up my local goodwill today. Not a great selection, but I did snag the following...

The Sims (original, still sealed for $2. Looks like it came with a Gateway comp someone bought)

And a sorta weird find that I just had to snag. Mega Man 3 for the PC/Tandy. It was $2 as well... in the box with the 2 5.25" discs and the 3.5" one and the instructions.

Probably should've grabbed the Monster Gamer HDMI cables I saw for the 360 as they were only $2 and still in the pack. I have the factory set, though, so eh.

Got an unbelievable steal at a thrift store. It's a new bar/hutch. Paid about a $100 and valued it at about $2500. I might sell it but, hot damn, it looks good.

American-of-Martinsville-Mid-Century-Modern-Hutch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back