Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='FOnewearl']

The SNES for me would be a good example of mostly running into the same games in just about every lot. Super Mario World, All-Stars & Kart along with Donkey Kong Country seem to be the only good games I expect to run into at some point for sure every year.[/QUOTE]

I'd be fine running into these since Mario All-Stars, Kart, and DKC still sell for north of 10 dollars on Amazon. For me I always run into garbage like The Lion King, or Seaquest or Aero the Acrobat. A lot of what I see in the way of SNES and Genesis games these days are the ones Majesco reprinted around 1999 and 2000, that were sold in Toys R Us, here's the list

http://www.rfgeneration.com/forum/index.php?topic=10046.0;wap2

If you see SNES or Genesis games at the Goodwill, there's a near 100% chance that at least one of these games will be amongst them, and probably at least a 70% chance that all of them will be.

My most expensive item found at a SA in my whole life was a Strawberry shortcake plush doll from the 80's in box that I sold for $80, I paid $2. This doll was not worth that much right away though, when I got home it was going for about $10 on ebay, I had to hold onto it for a whole year and constantly check up on it before I got the $80 for it so there was some work to it. A close second is a lot of Sailor Moon dolls I got that I paid 99 cents each for, I sold the dolls for $60 then I sold 1 single doll from the lot for about $25.

I did get a Neo Geo Pocket color last year for about $5 in box and near perfect condition with 2 games and an accessory pack. Haven't sold it yet mainly because someone like this is so hard to find in my area. I don't think I have seen one anywhere in my area outside of this one time.

I also got a Nomad for $6 at another thrift, again a rare item for my area. Definitely the only one I have ever seen out in the wild.

This stuff doesn't come often though for me, these finds are very few and far between. Though I have to say I hardly ever go thrifting. I am sure if I was stopping in once every week I would find more stuff, but my trips are limited to once every few months or so. The thrifts are just too far apart and not close enough to my house for me to make it a regular occurance. If i lived closer to the thrifts then I would go more often.

[quote name='spmahn']I'd be fine running into these since Mario All-Stars, Kart, and DKC still sell for north of 10 dollars on Amazon. For me I always run into garbage like The Lion King, or Seaquest or Aero the Acrobat. A lot of what I see in the way of SNES and Genesis games these days are the ones Majesco reprinted around 1999 and 2000, that were sold in Toys R Us, here's the list

http://www.rfgeneration.com/forum/index.php?topic=10046.0;wap2

If you see SNES or Genesis games at the Goodwill, there's a near 100% chance that at least one of these games will be amongst them, and probably at least a 70% chance that all of them will be.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised Batman Forever isn't on that list as it is the most common Genesis game that I find in the wild (often lumped in with piles of sports games). A few of the games on that list are still worth quite a bit and hard to find (most of the Konami stuff). Majesco also re-released the Game Gear at the same time - I found a ton of sealed Game Gear stuff from their re-release at a flea market last year.

[quote name='Doomstink']I'm surprised Batman Forever isn't on that list as it is the most common Genesis game that I find in the wild (often lumped in with piles of sports games). A few of the games on that list are still worth quite a bit and hard to find (most of the Konami stuff). Majesco also re-released the Game Gear at the same time - I found a ton of sealed Game Gear stuff from their re-release at a flea market last year.[/QUOTE]

Just for reference:

Game gear games were sold at the dollar stores. I remember picking up sealed copies as well as Silent Hill the Room on the PC (in 2006). I wish I would have bought more of all of them. I also remember seeing sealed Atari 5200 and 7800 games back in the day (probably 1998 or 1999) at dollar stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back