Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='ZombieToast']Haven't been finding anything at all lately, but I did pick up a copy of Road Rash II (the ONLY non-sports game) at Goodwill for $1.95. This is officially my first ever Genesis game. Now I just need to get a Genesis so's I can play it...[/QUOTE]
You've got some catching up to do.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Haven't been finding anything at all lately, but I did pick up a copy of Road Rash II (the ONLY non-sports game) at Goodwill for $1.95. This is officially my first ever Genesis game. Now I just need to get a Genesis so's I can play it...[/QUOTE]

Awesome, that was one of my pickups. I paid $3.99 complete in box. Great game, one of the best to start you Genesis adventures with.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']Awesome, that was one of my pickups. I paid $3.99 complete in box. Great game, one of the best to start you Genesis adventures with.[/QUOTE]

Road Rash II sucked many hours of my youth. Loved that game. Probably doesn't hold up well though I would guess. Wonder why no remake at this point.

[quote name='schuerm26']Road Rash II sucked many hours of my youth. Loved that game. Probably doesn't hold up well though I would guess. Wonder why no remake at this point.[/QUOTE]

Actually, me and my buddy break it out about once a year still, and it is still fun. It becomes super competitive and hilarity is sure to follow.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']Actually, me and my buddy break it out about once a year still, and it is still fun. It becomes super competitive and hilarity is sure to follow.[/QUOTE]
It's an awesome game to drink to. Do a shot every time you fly off of the bike.

How does Road Rash II compare to Road Rash 3D? A friend and I used to play the latter quite a bit and we just couldn't get enough of it.

[quote name='Pirate331']You've got some catching up to do.[/QUOTE]
Ha, no kidding. Thankfully, I've at least played a ton of Genesis ROMs (and a buddy of mine had the Genesis when I was a kid), but it will definitely be nice to have the real thing.

I picked up an original Game Boy for $3 at Goodwill yesterday. The only problem is that it's got a ton of glue spots on the lens, looks like someone did a piss-poor job of trying to glue it back on. Anyone know any good solutions for removing goop like this?

Goo Gone might work. I used it on my GH guitars to remove the sticker residue. I'm sure there are better products to use though.

I found this 40 GB PS3 for $40 at a goodwil, it was marked as-is. It's got the yellow light so I plan to attempt the repair and if I fail hopefully recoup my $40 on eBay
4d5b103d.jpg

[quote name='wheels']I found this 40 GB PS3 for $40 at a goodwil, it was marked as-is. It's got the yellow light so I plan to attempt the repair and if I fail hopefully recoup my $40 on eBay
4d5b103d.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Check craigslist for repair ($20 - $40) if you're lazy. First time repairing the PS3 for me was a BITCH (follow youtube's videos). It took me literally 2 hours to open it up and another 3 hours to close it up with leftover parts/screws lol.

Found a vanilla disc only Arkham Asylum (PS3) at Goodwill for $7.18 after student discount. Also saw Jurassic: The Hunted (PS3) for $5.99...any feedback on the Jurassic game?

[quote name='postaboy']Check craigslist for repair ($20 - $40) if you're lazy. First time repairing the PS3 for me was a BITCH (follow youtube's videos). It took me literally 2 hours to open it up and another 3 hours to close it up with leftover parts/screws lol.[/QUOTE]

I took it apart and cleaned it out, it was super dirty in there. I organized all the screws and took pics so i should be able to reassemble, i'm gonna try the repair this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']A lot of people seemed to like it. I played it for about 30 minutes and couldn't play any more.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. That game was awful.

Picked up a complete copy of Ecco the Dolphin (Genesis) for $3 at a local thrift. Passed on some Game Gear sports games at Goodwill (sadly they were likely all picked over by the time I got there)

[quote name='wheels']I found this 40 GB PS3 for $40 at a goodwil, it was marked as-is. It's got the yellow light so I plan to attempt the repair and if I fail hopefully recoup my $40 on eBay
4d5b103d.jpg
[/QUOTE]

update: I did the heat gun reflow method on it over the weekend and it fired right up! I'm stoked, I paid $40 for the PS3 and $10.50 for the thermal compound, that equals $50 for a PS3 (plus 3 hours of work) well worth it.

Good finds at the GW by my house tonight. I'm glad we stopped.

MW3 = $20
Skylanders bundle = $10
Silver 360 controllers = $14 for both

Both games were ringed, but a little TLC under the bench buffer fixed them right up, and both installed 100%. As for the controllers, one was priced $9 and the other $5, but the only thing missing from the $5 one was the AA battery housing and the play and charge manual. Both came with rechargeable batteries and the play and charge adapters. Both controllers are PRISTINE and work perfectly.

I saw an official USB Sony PS3 Chat Headset at GW today. Thing is, I can't find any listing for it anywhere. Single earpiece, boom mic, and inline volume/mute controls. They only want $10 for it, but I've got no idea if that's even a decent price. Anyone ever used one?

Wednesday is Target Returns day at Goodwill here. Usually it's a lot of junk, but sometimes I get some fantastic video game deals like the $15 copy of Star Fox 64 3DS last month. Today's score was a beat up copy of Cabela's: Survival Shadows of Katmai with the light gun for PS3 for $25. The outside box was a little beat up, but everything inside is pristine. I hooked it all up and played this evening for about 10 minutes, seems like fun if you like light gun shooters, I don't, I can't hold the gun in position long enough without my arms starting to kill me. Regardless, I should be able to flip this for about $50 - $60, since it's $80 brand new

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spmahn']Wednesday is Target Returns day at Goodwill here. Usually it's a lot of junk, but sometimes I get some fantastic video game deals like the $15 cope of Star Fox 64 3DS last month. Today's score was a beat up copy of Cabela's: Survival Shadows of Katmai with the light gun for $25. The outside box was a little beat up, but everything inside is pristine. I hooked it all up and played this evening for about 10 minutes, seems like fun if you like light gun shooters, I don't, I can't hold the gun in position long enough without my arms starting to kill me. Regardless, I should be able to flip this for about $50 - $60, since it's $80 brand new[/QUOTE]

That must be the case with my GW too. All of the stuff I got tonight was Target Def Salv.

got an Original XBOX console only today at a goodwill for $7.99, tested and works. They had 3 of them for this price.

Another good day for Target closeouts. Picked up the Uncharted 1 & 2 GOTY set for $20. Also last weeks Cabella's set sold for $52, so not a bad flip either.

Picked up copies of Ecco: Tides of Time and Judge Dredd for Genesis. $6 each so not exactly cheap, but they are complete and in excellent condtition, which justifies the cost IMO.

YardSalesPics163.jpg

These are some recent finds at my favorite local thrift store. I went in about a month ago and checked the video games, found nada. Shopped a bit, came back to the video games as I was leaving, and found some SNES games that had just been put out. I picked up anything decent, left behind some junk. They were $1.90 each. Highlights included Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, and Super Mario All-Stars. Everything worked and saved fine.

Went in yesterday and found some gamecube games just put out. At first, I found the Mario Party 7 case/manual with the Mario party 6 disc in it. Was going to pass on it, but then a few minutes later a worker puts out a few more gamecube games, along with Mario party 6 case/manual with the Mario Party 7 disc in it. I switch the discs and decide to pick both up, along with Mario Baseball. All 3 games were complete and near mint. I passed on a case/disc only Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Tennis, mainly because with the Gamecube games being $6.90 each, I only really wanted complete games at that price. Also got Warcraft II and Ecco for 90 cents each.

Walked around a bit, checked the video games (which are mixed in with DVDs and CDs) again as I was leaving. An old guy with a scanner was poking around in there, picking stuff up randomly and scanning it. I noticed a freshly put out copy of FFVII (complete with mini guide and all discs) and snag it before he figures out its worth. He leaves about a minute later for another part of the store without saying anything. Not sure if he even knew my score or not, but I'm just glad I got it first. Paid 90 cents for FF VII.

Overall had a pretty good run lately at my local thrift (privately owned, not a SA or Goodwill). They get new stock daily, as opposed to Goodwills around here, which tend to have most of the same junk time after time (though I've made some great finds at Goodwills as well).

I just got a brand new Chameleon GameCube controller from goodwill for $5. Last time I was there I got a very scratched, but still working complete copy of Super Mario Sunshine for $4. It wasn't even in the game section it was on the floor by the Christmas dishes.

[quote name='schuerm26']Oh yeah. Brand New. $4 each.

IMG_20111214_122134.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Is it wrong that I know that the price stickers on those two GH PS1 games are from Blockbuster Video?:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Is it wrong that I know that the price stickers on those two GH PS1 games are from Blockbuster Video?:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I had to spend 3 minutes thinking of how familiar those stickers looked until I realized they were from BBV. Probably bought and stashed away and forgotten. Unless those are actually from a BBV and they were clearing out the back and noticed some sealed PS1 games :lol:

[quote name='Link927']I had to spend 3 minutes thinking of how familiar those stickers looked until I realized they were from BBV. Probably bought and stashed away and forgotten. Unless those are actually from a BBV and they were clearing out the back and noticed some sealed PS1 games :lol:[/QUOTE]
That's like a few of the Kmarts around here that up till like 2007 or 2008 had PS1 games sitting in one corner or another of their cases, including copies of FF VII(GH) and FF Tactics(GH). Of course, I didn't really realize how sought after FFVII was until those copies of it disappeared from said Kmart.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's like a few of the Kmarts around here that up till like 2007 or 2008 had PS1 games sitting in one corner or another of their cases, including copies of FF VII(GH) and FF Tactics(GH). Of course, I didn't really realize how sought after FFVII was until those copies of it disappeared from said Kmart.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly how you feel about sealed FFVII, coincidentally at my Kmart. I remember seeing a sealed copy but passing it because you could still buy it then used at GS. Back then I wasnt too much of a "collector" though, I would have picked it up in a heartbeat today.

[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']Found this among the $1 cds at family thrift center:

1NGP4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

My favorite rpg of all time, such an awesome find

fuck you, naruto, for finding Suiko2 at a thrift store, for liking naruto, and for not resizing your blurry ass photo.

fuck.

Found an opened Skylanders Starter Pack for 3DS for $30 @ Goodwill yesterday! Everything was in the box. My brother has been asking for but I didn't want to shell out $70 for it.

The other day, amongst all of the overpriced (marked up 3x the lowest Target clearance price) Target clearance games, I found a complete copy of Mario Kart 7 3DS for $15. Not a stellar deal, but a decent one.

I've pretty much stopped going to the thrift stores on a regular basis to find stuff to flip, waste of gas and money most the time but I decided to check out some on my way to the mall and I found a copy of Harvest Moon 64 for 5 bucks! I need to see if it works and if so (Looks pretty clean inside), I'll put it on my tradelist or ebay.

Missed out on a really big bag of Duplo Lego...was gonna give it to my mom who teaches at some inner city preschool but alas, the tag fell off and they refused to sell it to me. Really bummed about that one.

Finally something! Found these at the overpriced GW too which is really crazy.

Bubsy for SNES- $4, needs some stickers and sharpie removed

The Magical Quest Staring Mickey Mouse for SNES- $4, Perfect label, very clean

And my favorite find of the year- Mario Bros GAME&WATCH- $8, no batteries to test but this thing is already super clean but will look great after Magic Eraser. My first G&W, really wonder if any others came in with it. I know these things can be worth some $$$, this ones about $40-$60 but I might keep it.

[quote name='tiggerkiddo']I've pretty much stopped going to the thrift stores on a regular basis to find stuff to flip, waste of gas and money most the time but I decided to check out some on my way to the mall and I found a copy of Harvest Moon 64 for 5 bucks! I need to see if it works and if so (Looks pretty clean inside), I'll put it on my tradelist or ebay.

Missed out on a really big bag of Duplo Lego...was gonna give it to my mom who teaches at some inner city preschool but alas, the tag fell off and they refused to sell it to me. Really bummed about that one.[/QUOTE]

I am about to give up, there is a Goodwill near my job but its such a waste the 2 or 3 times a week i go there. Through the whole year I've found only a Dreamcast, with a copy of Marvel vs Capcom in it, one controller for $15.99. No VMU, no cable hook ups, no A/C cord. Then I found a PS2 Phat with a busted drive for $9.99 and a PSP for $20 that needed a new screen and god knows what else.

Last week I did find something I wanted, but it was of course open box for a PS3 Bluetooth Headset(you know, the big ones that everyone loves) for $49.99, looked sealed(all items still sealed, but box open). I tried to haggle em down (as a CAG I gotta try) and they wouldn't budge. So I left it lol.

[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']Found this among the $1 cds at family thrift center:

1NGP4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I hate you lol. That is my favorite game of all time, I regret having purged my PS1 collection so many years ago because I got rid of this gem of a game. I wish I could find it again or have it on PSN, but not meant to be. Nice find, and a kick ass price!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back