Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap. I picked up this game 2-3 weeks ago at a Salvation Army for $3 sealed. Only problem is, mine has wear on the corners of the shrinkwrap and is missing the hanging tag thing from this one, but it IS sealed. But it does also have a lil sticker residue on the shrinkwrap from where the $2.99 sticker was on it.:bomb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packy-and-M..._Games_Games&hash=item3cbcd8dbd7#ht_625wt_648

If that's how much a new/sealed copy can go for, then I think I have to dust off my eBay account and sell that game.:shock:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Holy crap. I picked up this game 2-3 weeks ago at a Salvation Army for $3 sealed. Only problem is, mine has wear on the corners of the shrinkwrap and is missing the hanging tag thing from this one, but it IS sealed. But it does also have a lil sticker residue on the shrinkwrap from where the $2.99 sticker was on it.:bomb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packy-and-M..._Games_Games&hash=item3cbcd8dbd7#ht_625wt_648

If that's how much a new/sealed copy can go for, then I think I have to dust off my eBay account and sell that game.:shock:[/QUOTE]

Im going to guess that that is a massively wishful thinking price. If you have no need for the money though quickly at somewhat closer to what it is really worth, just toss it up at whatever until some collector hops on and purchases it.

[quote name='schuerm26']Im going to guess that that is a massively wishful thinking price. If you have no need for the money though quickly at somewhat closer to what it is really worth, just toss it up at whatever until some collector hops on and purchases it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that was a fluke price and no way of telling if the buyer even paid for that auction or not I suppose. But I also kinda based the higher end number on the Video Game Price Charting website, which had the $160+ price listed for new/sealed.

I know someone here mentioned to put it up on the trade forum at Nintendo Age or some such site and just wait and hope. If I could find a listing for it on Amazon I'd probably toss it up there too.

[quote name='schuerm26']Oh. I didn't click on the link. What did that one sell for? I just looked at ebay on my phone and saw one listed at $199 brand new right now.[/QUOTE]

$168

Considering that was a sold price with 9 bids, I'd say it wasn't wishful thinking. That is a genuinely rare game (it was made for asthmatic kids, I think, either that or this was the psuedo-sequel to Captain Novolin, which was intended for diabetics), IATCG could easily get $200 for his copy if he posts as a BIN.

[quote name='schuerm26']Oh. I didn't click on the link. What did that one sell for? I just looked at ebay on my phone and saw one listed at $199 brand new right now.[/QUOTE]
The one I linked to sold for $128. It's a game for diabetic kids according to the packaging. Hopefully if I go out of town for work tomorrow I can finally plunk down some cash on a digital camera and I'll snap a pic of it n put it up on eBay with a BIN.

Unfortunately the corners of the shrinkwrap aren't there and the box is worn on each corner plus the remnants of the sticker from the thrift store is on the front of the shrinkwrap, so I'd definitely need to try removing the leftover sticker and note the worn corners on the box in any auction I'd do.

I would not use goo gone anywhere near printed cardboard. It's just as likely to make the ink run and ruin the box as clean the sticker residue off.

I'd just do your best to remove the residue gently with a credit card or something and leave it to the buyer to screw it up after he buys it.

zapper%252520and%252520pokedex.png

At Savers

Pokedex - $3
Quickshot - Marked $3 but it's tag color was half off today so $1.50

I saw the Pokedex in the toy section (which I always look in since finding a bag of N64 games mixed in once) and I knew it was probably worth something. Almost 30 on Amazon.

mech%252520and%252520butthead.png

Salvation Army

$3.99 each

They actually had more video games at this place than I think I've ever seen at a thrift store. This particular SA is sort of out of the way in a crappy area so it figures. They also had some other SNES games in the boxes. Nothing amazing but I may go back since it seems anything SNES CIB is worth $3.99.

Passed on a slim PS2 with no cables or controllers for $15 at a goodwill. Also at a record store there was a bin with an original Xbox, Fat PS2 with memory card, network adapter and misc controllers. He said make an offer for all of it, while I was thinking he said I could have it all for $20. I'm curious if there's a game in either system. Maybe I'll go back and try to get it for $10.

Overall a good day though.

[quote name='jer7583']I would not use goo gone anywhere near printed cardboard. It's just as likely to make the ink run and ruin the box as clean the sticker residue off.

I'd just do your best to remove the residue gently with a credit card or something and leave it to the buyer to screw it up after he buys it.[/QUOTE]
Well, as long as the cardboard isn't exposed near that spot (he did say it's sealed), then it'll be fine. Just dab some GG on a rag or paper towel and gently rub everything away. Of course, if there is a risk of actually coming in contact with the cardboard, then don't bother because it can indeed remove the print (especially on older boxes).

Also, don't use it on clothes. My grandma found that out the hard way when trying to get gum out of one of my shirts a few years back. The say you can use it on clothing, but it bleached my shirt.

found these today
Star Wars Battlefront II xbox $6
Psychonauts xbox $6
NES Knight Rider CIB $5
NES Rad Racer CIB $5

Oh hey, I totally forgot to mention that I grabbed Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? and four Redwall audiobooks for $2.87 each at Salvation Army.

[quote name='GoldFly']

mech%252520and%252520butthead.png

Salvation Army

$3.99 each[/QUOTE]
What timing on finding the old Beavis & Butthead game in a thrift store, since new episodes are starting tomorrow night on MTV.:)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What timing on finding the old Beavis & Butthead game in a thrift store, since new episodes are starting tomorrow night on MTV.:)[/QUOTE]

I finally saw the clips from the new season, and I couldn't even believe how good they were.

I just hope they put the episodes up on MTV.com, since we no longer have MTV due to going to a lower tier of programming with Comcast and MTV/VH1/etc were some of the channels they got rid of from the old lineup.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Oh hey, I totally forgot to mention that I grabbed Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? and four Redwall audiobooks for $2.87 each at Salvation Army.[/QUOTE]

I loved that game.....but then i lost and/or broke it.......It was fun though.

Which version did you play? I was tired, so I neglected to mention that I was referring to the board game. I used to love the PC game as a kid, though. I've got a lot of good memories of going to the computer lab during school and getting to choose between Oregon Trail, Carmen Sandiego, Math Blaster, or a couple of other games. We also had Dragon's Lair on laserdisc. Oh man, those were the days.

found an ati Halflife:uplink disk with a CS code on it, inputed it on steam and bam, 50 cents for the half life pack.

Gears Of War 3- $40

Had a nice ring around the disc but I deep buffed it twice in my work's $2300 disc buffer. Havent had any problems through the first Act.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Which version did you play? I was tired, so I neglected to mention that I was referring to the board game. I used to love the PC game as a kid, though. I've got a lot of good memories of going to the computer lab during school and getting to choose between Oregon Trail, Carmen Sandiego, Math Blaster, or a couple of other games. We also had Dragon's Lair on laserdisc. Oh man, those were the days.[/QUOTE]

I ment on the PC. That game was so fun....*nostalgia activate*

[quote name='juangrande386']Gears Of War 3- $40

Had a nice ring around the disc but I deep buffed it twice in my work's $2300 disc buffer. Havent had any problems through the first Act.[/QUOTE]

You could just do an install to the hard drive and that would confirm that the whole disk is good to go.

[quote name='blindinglights']You could just do an install to the hard drive and that would confirm that the whole disk is good to go.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I forget all about that. Apparently the only game Ive installed is Fable 2. Gears installed 100% so the buffer did its job.

Goodwill had nothing today, but I stopped at the dirty thrift store in the ghetro and picked up an SNES console with 2 controllers, wires, and the games Super Mario World, Super Off Road, Super Godzilla, Home Alone 2, and NHL Stanley Cup. Paid $30 for the whole set. The price wasn't so hot, but assuming it works, I should be able to clean it up and flip it on eBay for $60 - $70, so not bad.

Hit five thrifts today and came home empty handed. :(

best thing I saw was a Gamecube for $4 but it had no controllers, no cords, no game, no anything except a sign on top that says "UNSURE IF WORKING"... yeah no thanks

Got promoted at work so I decided to do a big trip before I work like 2.5x more.

GW1- havent been to this one in over a year; $4 each for Goldeneye64 and StarWars Rogue Squadron for N64.

Salvation Army- Nuttin

GW2- $35.26- Green N64, 2 Purple controllers, cables, no expansion cover (was it that hard to not lose these???). Passed on a $13 Goldeneye64, $30 Gamecube, couple $4 DC controllers, Nintendogs plus Cats, Spiderman DS.

GW3 and 4- Passed on Nintendo rf adapter when I found no system, 3rd party Wii controllers, Halo Wars, Nintendogs plus Cats, and a $25 360 controller.

Found most of the guides four weeks ago at Book Off.

Atelier Iris was $1, and found two weeks ago.

Got the Third Birthday yesterday.

Everything but Atelier Iris was $2 each.

4d8fd89c.jpg

I scored Dance Central (complete with 240 point card) at the Goodwill yesterday for $2.99. I also got Rock Band 2 for the same price. Both in perfect condition. Awesome haul--I also picked up a pair of jeans and a t-shirt to do a celebratory dance in....

Nice find!

I went to a Goodwill a few weeks back and scored Season 1 of Heroes on Blu Ray for $3. I wanted to get a Sublime CD but the guy let me buy the case without the CD. I definitely returned it once I checked everything over. $2 for an empty CD case? No thanks.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']This thread has inspired me to go see what I can find next week. Do you guys have any tips for a noob?[/QUOTE]

If you find something good once every ten trips or so, you're doing pretty good.

Look everywhere in the store. I've found Nintendo 64 controllers with the toys instead of the electronics.

If something is broken or in missing a part explain it to the clerk, sometimes they will lower the price.

Make sure you understand what the return policy is.

[quote name='blindinglights']
Make sure you understand what the return policy is.[/QUOTE]

yep seriously, cuz the rip off artists eh hem i mean thrift stores love to sell you untested broken crap at working prices

once they take your money, you're stuck with it

[quote name='Link927']I have never seen a return policy at a thrift store, aside from a few "All Sales are Final" type signs.[/QUOTE]
I think Goodwill has a 7 day return on Electronics...but I don't think the Mom & Pop stores do the same.

[quote name='Cheapie McGee']I think Goodwill has a 7 day return on Electronics...but I don't think the Mom & Pop stores do the same.[/QUOTE]

It depends on the region. The region I am in now will give you store credit if you return non-working electronics within 7 days. All other thrifts in the area are all sales final.

Thanks for the tips. I hope to return to this thread with some goodies!

Random question, are you guys doing this to boost your collections, or are you flipping it to get other things?

[quote name='TheBigAndy']Random question, are you guys doing this to boost your collections, or are you flipping it to get other things?[/QUOTE]

Depends on what I find and I'd imagine it's the same way for most people.

If you don't care about Saturn games but find Panzer Dragoon Saga, you're going to be a flipper that day. If you are building your PS1 collection and find a bunch of RPGs, you're working on the collection that day.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']This thread has inspired me to go see what I can find next week. Do you guys have any tips for a noob?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blindinglights']If you find something good once every ten trips or so, you're doing pretty good.

Look everywhere in the store. I've found Nintendo 64 controllers with the toys instead of the electronics.

If something is broken or in missing a part explain it to the clerk, sometimes they will lower the price.

Make sure you understand what the return policy is.[/QUOTE]
I'm new to buying old school games (I walked by thousands of Saturns, PS1, SNES, etc and never thought of buying them)...but you guys have opened my eyes. Is there a easy "101" list of games to look out for? Other than looking at ebay one at a time. I know I am asking for a lot....being a new competitor at GWs, or flea markets, but I would be grateful.

Or, I guess I'll have to read thru all the posts and compile my own list.

Either way, good to know about old school games/prices. I hate to say it, but I'll be a flipper since I don't have any old systems left. Unless I pick up an old console.
Thanks

[quote name='Readthepost']I'm new to buying old school games (I walked by thousands of Saturns, PS1, SNES, etc and never thought of buying them)...but you guys have opened my eyes. Is there a easy "101" list of games to look out for? Other than looking at ebay one at a time. I know I am asking for a lot....being a new competitor at GWs, or flea markets, but I would be grateful.

Or, I guess I'll have to read thru all the posts and compile my own list.

Either way, good to know about old school games/prices. I hate to say it, but I'll be a flipper since I don't have any old systems left. Unless I pick up an old console.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

I have a fairly comprehensive list of the basic titles to look for in the way of uncommons/rares, but it would require some effort to re-type everything up. If you don't feel like looking everything up or waiting for others to chime in; I could provide a consult for a small fee...say $6 :cool:

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I have a fairly comprehensive list of the basic titles to look for in the way of uncommons/rares, but it would require some effort to re-type everything up. If you don't feel like looking everything up or waiting for others to chime in; I could provide a consult for a small fee...say $6 :cool:[/QUOTE]Thanks for the offer. I'll look around a bit first. I might pay the fee if I feel lost.

[quote name='blindinglights']www.RacketBoy.com

Check out the rare/valuable, defining games, and hidden gems sections. Should give you a good outline of what to look for.[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much. This is what I was looking for. :applause::applause:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Went to my local Savers which never has anything, but recently they've been having an influx of video games (NES carts, Genesis Stuff etc.). Anyways stopped there today and saw a few bags filled with a few games each. Picked up this bag that had Final Fantasy 8 and 9(both black label and in really good shape) for 7.99. This is like the third Final Fantasy 8 I think I found this garage sale/thrift store season, and it's probably the final fantasy I hate the most. Probably going to flip that one while keeping 9, which I didn't have anymore since I traded it for another rpg back in the day with one of my friends.

I did pass on a turbo grafix 16 system(which I've never owned), with keith courage a few days ago at a local thrift store for 53.99 or 58.99 (was in a glass case and the writing was kind of hard to read). Wanted to pick it up this weekend when it would be half off, but someone bought it within the last few days, since I visited today to see if it was still there and it was not. Lesson of this story is, sometimes if you really want something, just pick it up and not try to wait for more of a discount, because it might not be there when you return.

[quote name='blindinglights']www.RacketBoy.com

Check out the rare/valuable, defining games, and hidden gems sections. Should give you a good outline of what to look for.[/QUOTE]

That website looks to be a good start for the truly rare items; however it doesn't look so great when it comes to uncommons (n64 Dr. Mario and Resident Evil 2 are more like $8 carts). I'd advise anyone looking to "pick" to direct their research towards the types of games they most often come across (in my case NES, n64, and GBA titles pop up quite often in the wild; while things like Sega CD and Saturn--just about never).

[quote name='robwhois']

I did pass on a turbo grafix 16 system(which I've never owned), with keith courage a few days ago at a local thrift store for 53.99 or 58.99 (was in a glass case and the writing was kind of hard to read). Wanted to pick it up this weekend when it would be half off, but someone bought it within the last few days, since I visited today to see if it was still there and it was not. Lesson of this story is, sometimes if you really want something, just pick it up and not try to wait for more of a discount, because it might not be there when you return.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't feel bad about not picking this one up, $54 is like paying face value online. :hot:

So glad I went after work, wasnt going to cus its extremely rainy/chilly.

$3 apiece- Goldeneye007, StarWars Episode1 Racer, Turok2, Pokemon Stadium, WaveRace64, StarFox64, and Super Mario64. Finally a copy of Mario! I have like 40 N64 games and the only one with Mario was Smash Bros.

$4- Ziplock bag with 2 Tremor Packs, Nintendo Rumple Pack, Nintendo memory card, Performance memory card, and a jumper pak.

Passed on 2 black N64s for $15 apiece cus I have 3 at the moment. Had some $3 N64 controllers too. Lots of N64 stuff lately!

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']That website looks to be a good start for the truly rare items; however it doesn't look so great when it comes to uncommons (n64 Dr. Mario and Resident Evil 2 are more like $8 carts). I'd advise anyone looking to "pick" to direct their research towards the types of games they most often come across (in my case NES, n64, and GBA titles pop up quite often in the wild; while things like Sega CD and Saturn--just about never).

I wouldn't feel bad about not picking this one up, $54 is like paying face value online. :hot:[/QUOTE]

yeah i guess your right, just the first turbo grafx system i've seen in person since my friend had one when we were growing up. I think at half price day it would have been a pretty good deal, but oh well

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']That website looks to be a good start for the truly rare items; however it doesn't look so great when it comes to uncommons (n64 Dr. Mario and Resident Evil 2 are more like $8 carts). I'd advise anyone looking to "pick" to direct their research towards the types of games they most often come across (in my case NES, n64, and GBA titles pop up quite often in the wild; while things like Sega CD and Saturn--just about never).[/QUOTE]

That website is really just a starting point since I got the impression that's what he was looking for. The best thing to do is take a smart phone and look up values for stuff that you're not sure about.

[quote name='robwhois']yeah i guess your right, just the first turbo grafx system i've seen in person since my friend had one when we were growing up. I think at half price day it would have been a pretty good deal, but oh well[/QUOTE]

I found my working set for $5, so definitely don't feel bad that someone else did you a favor of buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back