Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='elessar123']I found my working set for $5, so definitely don't feel bad that someone else did you a favor of buying it.[/QUOTE]

$5? I paid $50 with Keith Courage. :cry:

Worth it for the system... not so much for the game.

[quote name='blindinglights']That website is really just a starting point since I got the impression that's what he was looking for. The best thing to do is take a smart phone and look up values for stuff that you're not sure about.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's one way to do it; though in my experience at yard sales I tend to buy up the entire lot if I recognize a few winners if the whole thing is cheap enough. Learn through buying and collecting--sometimes being able to make a quick decision based on instinct can seal the deal before competition arrives to start bid wars and other nonsense.

Last edited:
[quote name='spmahn']Nothing good today at Savers or Goodwill, except for one strange find that I don't really know what to make of. I found this at Savers for 2.99 complete in the original box. Seems like it's in demand and out of print, and if the Amazon and eBay prices for this thing aren't just a sellers piper dream, I might have done a great job buying this as a flip here. http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Busters-International-Ghostbusters-Box/dp/087431223X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320370951&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

That does look like a good flip. Just remember that going to the post office and shipping it are part of the cost of doing business.

[quote name='spmahn']Nothing good today at Savers or Goodwill, except for one strange find that I don't really know what to make of. I found this at Savers for 2.99 complete in the original box. Seems like it's in demand and out of print, and if the Amazon and eBay prices for this thing aren't just a sellers piper dream, I might have done a great job buying this as a flip here. http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Busters...223X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320370951&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

The prices may be inflated just because there arent that many sellers for it. But it probably will go for a pretty penny, just dont have your heart set on $100

I wouldn't expect more than $25 for the Ghost Busters book. It's not very common (and it's cool), but I've never seen it sell for very much. I think the most I've seen it sell for is about $23. Still a decent profit for sure, but if it were me, I would just keep it.

I just experienced "beginner's luck or dumb luck" on my first non-strategy guide and non-current video games purchase. As I mention before, I always walked pass by old school video games, DVD, etc. I only focused on guides and current games.

So yesterday, I went to GW and I was disappointed because they only had 10-15 PS2 sports games. But I want to buy sometimes and I noticed a nice looking (I mean good condition) DVD Anime bundle. I never heard of it, but everything was in great condition and it was only $5.99 so I bought.

It is "Neon Genesis Evangelion - Death & Rebirth - The End of Evangelion".
There are 2 mini posters and a post card. I was the first to open the mini posters...I was very careful.
IMG_0098.jpg
IMG_0100-1.jpg
I didn't even think of checking ebay prices until this morning because I wasn't thinking of flipping the bundle.
But I did check and holy cow.

It's much more than expected even the "completed transaction".

I like to thank you everyone and share my "beginner's luck" story. I hope more "dumb luck" in the future.

[quote name='Readthepost']
It is "Neon Genesis Evangelion - Death & Rebirth - The End of Evangelion".
There are 2 mini posters and a post card. I was the first to open the mini posters...I was very careful.[/QUOTE]

Nice pick-up there, a good number of anime boxsets are worth snagging in the $5 area :bouncy:

Amazon prices knock it down to about $55 but still a good deal nevertheless. I would pick that up for my own collection if I could find it!

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Nice pick-up there, a good number of anime boxsets are worth snagging in the $5 area :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Many are worth it at $10... I just picked up the complete 2nd and 3rd seasons of Yu Gi Oh for $9.99 each at a thrift store. I'll let you guys look those up. :cool:

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Nice pick-up there, a good number of anime boxsets are worth snagging in the $5 area :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Doomstink']Many are worth it at $10... I just picked up the complete 2nd and 3rd seasons of Yu Gi Oh for $9.99 each at a thrift store. I'll let you guys look those up. :cool:[/QUOTE]

What is in those box sets that are not in the normal dvd releases? They seem inflated unless they have new material. I am just asking as I stopped dealing in Anime years ago (after the crash). The prices fluctuate wayy too much.

[quote name='slowdive21']What is in those box sets that are not in the normal dvd releases? They seem inflated unless they have new material. I am just asking as I stopped dealing in Anime years ago (after the crash). The prices fluctuate wayy too much.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I have no idea - I think the inflated price is all in the convenience. Season 2 is 11 discs if bought individually while the box set is only 7 discs. I guess parents don't want to go through the hassle of buying all 11 discs (especially considering most of them have no idea what discs constitute what seasons). I'm supposing it is just easier to buy the box set even if you have to pay $75+ extra.

I sold a Season 2 box set a few years back for a little over $200, so I know these things definitely sell.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']say $6 :cool:[/QUOTE]

Douche.

Readthepost, read racketboy (and CAG), study vgpc.com, realize completed listings on eBay (that aren't bin's) are more current going rates, and take it all with a grain of salt. You'll eventually figure out what's worth buying, to keep and to sell.

Don't waste your time paying someone to tell you about an item with which in less than 5 minutes, you can learn it's potential value. Half the fun is learning; the other half is successfully putting your knowledge in practice for a score.

Found a Lunar 2 Hardback guide (this one) at a goodwill for $5.
Looks like it's never been touched. Haven't gone over it completely, but only noticed a few dents in the edges of the dust jacket.

[quote name='aniousjoe']Douche.

Readthepost, read racketboy (and CAG), study vgpc.com, realize completed listings on eBay (that aren't bin's) are more current going rates, and take it all with a grain of salt. You'll eventually figure out what's worth buying, to keep and to sell.

Don't waste your time paying someone to tell you about an item with which in less than 5 minutes, you can learn it's potential value. Half the fun is learning; the other half is successfully putting your knowledge in practice for a score.[/QUOTE]

Nothing douche about it, you wanna volunteer your time to type up all the flippable games for free? I didn't think so ;)

[quote name='aniousjoe']Douche.

Don't waste your time paying someone to tell you about an item with which in less than 5 minutes, you can learn it's potential value. Half the fun is learning; the other half is successfully putting your knowledge in practice for a score.[/QUOTE]Thanks for your advice. Racketboy is great. I just didn't want to pass up a great flip while searching for guides at flea markets.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Nothing douche about it, you wanna volunteer your time to type up all the flippable games for free? I didn't think so ;)[/QUOTE]I understand your time is valuable. I'm going to pass on your nice offer for now because I don't primarily focus on these type of items.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Nothing douche about it, you wanna volunteer your time to type up all the flippable games for free? I didn't think so ;)[/QUOTE]

:drool: vgpc.com
Click on a system, select highest priced to lowest, done. Any current gen game that's flippable is either included, or possibly reduced to discount prices, thus causing it to be flippable. That's where CAG comes in. :whistle2:#

[quote name='Readthepost']Thanks for your advice. Racketboy is great. I just didn't want to pass up a great flip while searching for guides at flea markets.[/QUOTE]

Everybody who flips looks at one guide or another online, be it vgpc, ebay, or just plain google (among other sites) while out looking for games. Heck, up until recently, I took printed out guides with me on my trips. The most valuable games are easy enough to know, but nobody can recall every exact value for every game. The price fluctuates on games all the time, anyways.

The point is, you likely won't pass up on too many great flips by looking it up (preferably while holding said flips in your hand), but you will be more likely to buy junk without looking it up, if you don't already know it's potential value. Use a smart phone if you have one.

[quote name='aniousjoe']:drool: vgpc.com
Click on a system, select highest priced to lowest, done. Any current gen game that's flippable is either included, or possibly reduced to discount prices, thus causing it to be flippable. That's where CAG comes in. :whistle2:#

Everybody who flips looks at one guide or another online, be it vgpc, ebay, or just plain google (among other sites) while out looking for games. Heck, up until recently, I took printed out guides with me on my trips. The most valuable games are easy enough to know, but nobody can recall every exact value for every game. The price fluctuates on games all the time, anyways.

The point is, you likely won't pass up on too many great flips by looking it up (preferably while holding said flips in your hand), but you will be more likely to buy junk without looking it up, if you don't already know it's potential value. Use a smart phone if you have one.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the valuable info.

The one problem I experience when using my phone to look up items is that the seller gives you a harder time on negotiating the price or other people start commenting what you are doing. I hate checking CAG at Bestbuy or GS.

Still thanks for your advice.

The last anime set I picked up turned out to be a fake, though it wasn't that big a deal at $3.

Happened upon the worst goodwill I've ever seen while in South Carolina. This place was extremely dirty to start, and the first shelf I saw was lined with half full cans of paint and chemical bottles for sale. They were actually selling used paint thinner, cleaning chemicals, etc. Everything else was dumped into these cardboard boxes or bins and it was all trashed and covered in filth. It was all topped off by the sign above the door that read "We appreciate your generosity, but employees are not allowed to accept tips or food." The whole place was an unmitigated disaster.

[quote name='aniousjoe']:drool: vgpc.com
Click on a system, select highest priced to lowest, done. Any current gen game that's flippable is either included, or possibly reduced to discount prices, thus causing it to be flippable. That's where CAG comes in. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I've looked at that website. However, when you're talking $10-15 games some will flip $10 higher than market while others don't easily sell at all. Realistically you're going to come across more bread and butter uncommons than ultra rares in the wild; also some games might be missing manuals or be disc-only, so which are still good investments at what price?

I'll tell you one thing, vgpc has D for listed for Playstation as a $15-20 game. To me, this is theoretical, as I have played D and have tried to sell it. It is, to put it bluntly, a piece of crap. It's not even worth a $3 investment IMO, because you could put that $3 into a game that will actually sell for $11 in a timeframe somewhat less than two years. :lol:

The book probably won't tell you either that if you're looking to sell a Final Fantasy 8, you won't get the price you want on A) CAG, or B) Amazon. To me this is an item whose performance is linked intimately with the ebay marketplace. There's a lot of other insider information like this that can be the difference between selling for gain and accumulating a lot of stuff around the house which has imaginary value (in comparison to the real money which you sunk into it).

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']It is, to put it bluntly, a piece of crap...The book probably won't tell you either that if you're looking to sell a Final Fantasy 8, you won't get the price you want on A) CAG, or B) Amazon. To me this is an item whose performance is linked intimately with the ebay marketplace. There's a lot of other insider information like this that can be the difference between selling for gain and accumulating a lot of stuff around the house which has imaginary value (in comparison to the real money which you sunk into it).[/QUOTE]

Your personal opinion on a game does not dictate a value, period. Someone could say MUSHA is a piece of junk, and what does that do to it's value? :roll:

Completeness is an issue, and you have to look at similar completed auctions to get a general value, because obviously no person or site or resource can tell you what the difference is between most items with a scratch present or a manual missing. You have to make an educated guess. CAG, Amazon, and any other site vary differently in what a game will command for sale. Atariage, Nintendoage, and other forums will get you more money for specific items than other places, but it's not hard to figure it out. Lowballs will easily tip you off. Amazon and Ebay are the same way. An item can sell on Amazon for X amount of price because it's the only copy available, while on Ebay it'll sell for X-Y because there's more available.

Price guides are gauges. You, with your "knowledge", are no different.

[quote name='aniousjoe']Your personal opinion on a game does not dictate a value, period. Someone could say MUSHA is a piece of junk, and what does that do to it's value? :roll:

Completeness is an issue, and you have to look at similar completed auctions to get a general value, because obviously no person or site or resource can tell you what the difference is between most items with a scratch present or a manual missing. You have to make an educated guess. CAG, Amazon, and any other site vary differently in what a game will command for sale. Atariage, Nintendoage, and other forums will get you more money for specific items than other places, but it's not hard to figure it out. Lowballs will easily tip you off. Amazon and Ebay are the same way. An item can sell on Amazon for X amount of price because it's the only copy available, while on Ebay it'll sell for X-Y because there's more available.

Price guides are gauges. You, with your "knowledge", are no different.[/QUOTE]

Ah, but the opinion of gamers as a whole does dictate sales ranking. For a game like Smash Bros 64 it is popular enough to fly out the door; it can be a scuffed up cartridge, condition hardly matters. D on the other hand is less sought after, meaning collectors can hold back their $15-20 for Like New and Gem Mint copies only. Perhaps the higher bids gravitate towards the Longbox version only, or come from "Worldwide" buyers only.

Anyhow, we're getting off target here; the point isn't the value of the game to everyone in the ether but whether Readthepost can make the flip in his world. Going by my (worthless to be sure) experience of aggressive buying, $10 sunk into Smash Bros 64 will get you results whereas $10 in D will get you a headache. Don't take my word for it though...by all means, seek out lots which have these games and try it for yourself.

I bought a bunch of ps1 games for $5.99 each. All of them were in mint condition, no scratches on any of the game discs whatsoever. I also passed on a bunch of other ps1 games and systems (tobal #1, super puzzle fighter II, final fantasy 8, jackie chan stunt master, sega master system - no wires/controllers $4.99, Original XBOX - with box, controller, papers, etc. $19.99 ).

dscn3500n.jpg

[quote name='postaboy']I bought a bunch of ps1 games for $5.99 each. All of them were in mint condition, no scratches on any of the game discs whatsoever. I also passed on a bunch of other ps1 games and systems (tobal #1, super puzzle fighter II, final fantasy 8, jackie chan stunt master, sega master system - no wires/controllers $4.99, Original XBOX - with box, controller, papers, etc. $19.99 ).

dscn3500n.jpg
[/QUOTE]

dam,.... jealous

why did you pass on the super puzzle fighter II? man i been wanting that game for so long =(

Found some interesting stuff at the thrifts.

IMAG0320.jpg

wasn't sure what to make of these since Sega stuff is really hit or miss. Looks like it came out around the Sega Pico, but for $4 I took the chance.

IMAG0307.jpg

And now for something completely different:
Who needs a Kinect when the cat has the Activator with the Pods (at the bottom) for added flailing! haha
IMAG0304.jpg

The rest was about $1.50 each. Have to love half off days. = )
IMAG0321.jpg

IMAG0322.jpg

Board game find which at retail would have cost more than this whole lot. Got it for $2. It plays like the car puzzles in Professor Layton.
IMAG0318.jpg

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']dam,.... jealous

why did you pass on the super puzzle fighter II? man i been wanting that game for so long =([/QUOTE]

thanks

i have that copy in my collection and i don't want another copy of puzzle fighter 2 turbo unless it has some value to it.

Finds for the last few weeks or so...

ppaperboy%252520popeye.png

$2.99 each at Savers.

wavebird.png

zeldas.png

These were at a particular salvation army that is quickly becoming my favorite thrift store because there is always a quality selection of games.

$4.99 for the Wavebird. It was like pulling teeth getting them to separate this from a GC bundle, and to understand no matter what the controller and the receiver go together. :roll:

$3.99 for the Zelda on the left. The one on the right was the one I already had but the label was pretty crappy as you can see, so I bought this to replace mine. The copy I picked up still saves!

guitar%252520usb.png

$4 at Goodwill. Attempting to flip on Amazon. The contents are mint and look like they've never been used.

xbox%252520ps2%252520bundle.png

$10 for everything pictured.

I actually got this at a record store. They used to sell games and now they don't. This was all in a crate near the counter. I asked about it a couple weeks ago and was told to make an offer. Stopped by and grabbed it for 10. I kept the memory card, first party PS controllers and the games. Dumped the hardware at a little video game shop with a lot of older stuff for $32 in store credit. Also got the crate it was all in. Bonus!

snes%252520games.png

Free

Not from a thrift store but whatever. My sisters boyfriend said he had an SNES and a bunch of games I could have. By the time I made plans to stop by and get them he had agreed to trade it all to someone. Luckily he let me flip through and take whatever I wanted first since the person he was giving it to had no knowledge of what games he had for it. Most of the rest were sports. So I grabbed these 3, and left behind one other title that stuck out to me. I looked it up when I got home and saw it was sort of rare. :facepalm:

luckily my sister snagged it before he got rid of everything...

mr%252520do.png

[quote name='GoldFly']
zeldas.png
[/QUOTE]
Is it just me or does anyone else notice the differences in the labels(official Nintendo seal is centered, no writing along the bottom of the sticker, the words "Entertainment System" are MIA) on these two copies of Zelda? Perhaps the one on the right is a bootleg of some sort?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Is it just me or does anyone else notice the differences in the labels(official Nintendo seal is centered, no writing along the bottom of the sticker, the words "Entertainment System" are MIA) on these two copies of Zelda? Perhaps the one on the right is a bootleg of some sort?[/QUOTE]

Good eye. After you mentioned that, and it may just be the lighting, but the cartridge on the right looks far less textured (smoother)

The seal of quality used to be different. It changed around 1988, I think. I bought a NES Action Set with the original grey Zapper that had the black seal, and a newer Action Set with the orange Zapper, which has the current seal.

It looks legit. There is text missing, but I'm assuming that's due to the clear/glossy part of the label being ripped off.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Is it just me or does anyone else notice the differences in the labels(official Nintendo seal is centered, no writing along the bottom of the sticker, the words "Entertainment System" are MIA) on these two copies of Zelda? Perhaps the one on the right is a bootleg of some sort?[/QUOTE]

Just going through my old carts, I have seen up to 4 or 5 different versions of the same game...Most likely due to different production facilities or dates.

[quote name='sp00ge']Good eye. After you mentioned that, and it may just be the lighting, but the cartridge on the right looks far less textured (smoother)[/QUOTE]

That is possible. I have several NES systems that are textured and some that are not. Probably around the time they changed the zapper color/bundle, I would guess.

I noticed the cart differences as well and after googling it, it seems there are just different versions of the label. In person the texture seems to be the same. Well I hope it isn't a bootleg since it's on it's way to an Amazon buyer as of this afternoon!

sticking with the Zelda theme, I got these 2 boxes today at a goodwil, they were marked $3.99 but had no games in them so I asked the manager if they were marked that price with games she said yes and somebody must have stolen them. I told her i still wanted them but can she lower the price, got em both for $.99 total. time to box up my 2 nes zelda's

03d646a5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All the lurking I do in this thread made me want to stop in at the 2 Savers around here. The first one didn't have much with the video games. Did have a pretty nice board game selection though. Found a few things that sounded interesting. Gonna look into them to see if it's something I'd like (not really looking for a flip on them). Also saw an APC battery backup/surge protector for $10. Looked it up and definitely worth getting. Gonna go back tommorow. Might even keep it.

Then I went to a second one. Had a lot of PC games, and a few N64 and Genesis games. Mostly interested in the PC games. They had a lot of Sims 1 stuff. Kinda interested since I only had the original back in the day. :lol: Anyway, kept looking and I found something that i got for my friend, Majesty for myself (saw the MicroProse brand and immediately thought of the countless hours with RollerCoaster Tycoon), and Mario Teaches Typing 2. I was kinda hoping it was worth something. An obscure Super Mario PC thingy? Something, right? Nope. :( No beginner's luck for me.

[quote name='Chronis']Also saw an APC battery backup/surge protector for $10. Looked it up and definitely worth getting. Gonna go back tommorow. Might even keep it.
[/QUOTE]

There is a very good change that the battery is shot. I would recommend not bothering with it.

[quote name='yourlefthand']There is a very good change that the battery is shot. I would recommend not bothering with it.[/QUOTE]

hmmm... Is there an easy way to tell? And at the very least, it would be a nice heavy-duty surge protector, right?

[quote name='Chronis']hmmm... Is there an easy way to tell? And at the very least, it would be a nice heavy-duty surge protector, right?[/QUOTE]

Just get a surge protector then. My GF uses an APC with a battery that's been dead for years. I can remember maybe two occassions where it started beeping.

[quote name='yourlefthand']There is a very good change that the battery is shot. I would recommend not bothering with it.[/QUOTE]

If it's a good APC (a high end model), I would buy it for $10.
There is a company near me that replaces the battery inside with a new one for around $30 to $50 depending on the model.

I got 2 APC Back-UPS XS 1300 from Staples for $3x.xx (2-3 yrs ago) and an even older one.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/apc-ba...apc+back+ups+xs+1300+lcd+ups+780+watt+1300+va
The batteries last a very long time.

Also the newer (even 2-3 yrs old) ones have a LCD screen that shows the cond/status of the battery.

Interesting find at Savers today, amongst the Housewares was a brand new in box Sonicare toothbrush set priced at only $25. I picked it up since I know these things normally sell or $100+ in stores, and figured I could flip it. Unfortunately the outside of the box has no ID marks telling me exactly which model it is, so I can't accurately price or sell it, but my girlfriend raves about this thing, so I might just keep it.

Haven't been finding anything at all lately, but I did pick up a copy of Road Rash II (the ONLY non-sports game) at Goodwill for $1.95. This is officially my first ever Genesis game. Now I just need to get a Genesis so's I can play it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back