Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a Donkey Kong Pinball machine at Salvation Army for $1.69

DSC00903.jpg

[quote name='spmahn']$4 for an N64 console at Savers? Geez, Savers here prices consoles without wires at $19.99, and with Wires $24.99 or higher. Somehow they aren't always there however, so some stupid people are buying them.

Only thing I found at Goodwill today was a copy of Tecmo Super Bowl 3 for SNES for $2 which I flipped right away this afternoon on Amazon for $10.[/QUOTE]

whoops ment n64 controller for $4

Found the Star Ocean: Second Evolution guide at Book-Off today for $3.00. I did a triple take. Considering I tried to trade Mario All Stars when it was still $60-$70 for one, then losing an auction for one on ebay after bidding $40+, I was really excited.

Also bought a Last Remnant guide and Infinite Undiscovery guide. I forgot if I have them already or not. If so, I'll trade them =P

And 4-5 books for the girlfriend, and about 10 Battletech/Mechwarrior books, which just about doubled my current collection.

[quote name='Kid Fresh']Went to savers and picked up a blue n64 controller in great condition for $4 and a guide for Metroid Zero Mission for 0.29 cents not bad but I wish I could find some n64 games[/QUOTE]

So Savers normally carry electronics? There are like 2 close by to me but I thought they were just used clothing.

[quote name='pollmonster']Found a Donkey Kong Pinball machine at Salvation Army for $1.69

DSC00903.jpg
[/QUOTE]
That's pretty cool.

I used to have the following when I was a kid.

Tabletop Pacman arcade: http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.ht...E+BOXED&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Mario's Cement Factory: http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.ht...factory&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me when we moved from our old house to our current house my grandmother(God bless her) gave both of the above units to the fuck up who put up our current house for his lil brats.:roll:

Thank God I had my G1 Transformers stashed in a non descript brown grocery bag and they somehow made it here intact and undonated.:bomb:

Found a complete copy of Ecco The Dolphin: Defender of the Future for the Dreamcast for $4. I can tell by the opening cinematic that this is going to be good.:lol::lol::lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xzt6FNfLmM

I also found the music CD Video Games Live: Level 2(it's excellent) for $.75, in-addition to No Doubt's "Rock Steady" for $.05, Tony Bennett's "Playing With My Friends: Tony Bennett Sings The Blues" for $.95, Sheryl Crow's "Live From Central Park" for $.95, and my find of the night.........

picture.php

The import Anime soundtrack CD "Sailor Moon: Super Best" mint, complete, and legit. It's rare to come across any of the U.S. soundtrack CD's, much less an import one.

there's what i got the past couple of days:

Original Xbox, all cables, 2 controllers in great condition $28
3 Xbox S controllers for $12
SNES console only $10

[quote name='wheels']there's what i got the past couple of days:

Original Xbox, all cables, 2 controllers in great condition $28
3 Xbox S controllers for $12
SNES console only $10[/QUOTE]

Just noticed your name, are you from RPGamer?

[quote name='Dokstarr']So Savers normally carry electronics? There are like 2 close by to me but I thought they were just used clothing.[/QUOTE]

Savers is like a higher priced (if you can believe that) Goodwill. I get occaisional finds there, but for the most part everything is way too overpriced for it to work out as a deal.

Went over to Salvation Army today because they were having a sale with everything half off. There wasn't much other than a few ps3 sports games, so I saw this and grabbed it. Not sure if it's a good deal or not but I figure it's a good game. Marked as $3 so it came out to $1.58
2r2573k.jpg

Well I've had a very exciting week at Goodwill, two REALLY good finds for me:
Mario Paint, Pilotwings, Mario World 2, Super Tennis, Ms. Pacman, and SNES System Cleaner all complete in box for 3 dollars each!!
and then yesterday I went and I found an Atari 2600 (All black version) CIB with 7 games with all of their manuals!!

Does anyone know how much the Atari would be worth? I'm not going to sell it but I would just like to have a ballpark figure 8)

[quote name='smilewinner']Well I've had a very exciting week at Goodwill, two REALLY good finds for me:
Mario Paint, Pilotwings, Mario World 2, Super Tennis, Ms. Pacman, and SNES System Cleaner all complete in box for 3 dollars each!!
and then yesterday I went and I found an Atari 2600 (All black version) CIB with 7 games with all of their manuals!!

Does anyone know how much the Atari would be worth? I'm not going to sell it but I would just like to have a ballpark figure 8)[/QUOTE]

The atari is worth maybe $40 with those games. That may be generous too.

[quote name='moop2001']The atari is worth maybe $40 with those games. That may be generous too.[/QUOTE]

Way too generous, 2600 consoles regularly sell on eBay with a mound of games for less than $20. Depending on which games you have and the fact that they're all complete, you might be able to squeeze $40 - $50 out of it, but you'd have to be really lucky.

Well I wrote out a whole post but I can't post my pictures because I'm a new member. =*(

First post, long time lurker* :)

The other day I ran across a 12 POUND box of Legend of the Five Rings trading cards at a local thrift store. I don't know much about them, but hopefully a good find ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spmahn']Way too generous, 2600 consoles regularly sell on eBay with a mound of games for less than $20. Depending on which games you have and the fact that they're all complete, you might be able to squeeze $40 - $50 out of it, but you'd have to be really lucky.[/QUOTE]

$40 isn't really generous, it's actually a pretty good average selling price. The "Vader Black" 2600 consoles can sell for anywhere from $20 - $65 depending on condition (even with only a few games). The wood grain version of the console is the one that is generally worthless.

[quote name='Skogul00']Well I wrote out a whole post but I can't post my pictures because I'm a new member. =*(

First post, long time member :)

The other day I ran across a 12 POUND box of Legend of the Five Rings trading cards at a local thrift store. I don't know much about them, but hopefully a good find ^_^[/QUOTE]

I just sold a lot of 1800 of them for $45. They aren't worth much and shipping on that many cards was astronomical but I still made a profit.

I didn't bite cause they wouldn't seperate but listen to this.
$149.99 for A Xbox 360 with a 64 MB Memory card, 2 Controllers, 2 power chords, and a face plate from another 360.
Wanted the memory card and the face plate(Why not), maybe a controller also. They were like "No we can't seperate them"
I. Was. Pissed.

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']I didn't bite cause they wouldn't seperate but listen to this.
$149.99 for A Xbox 360 with a 64 MB Memory card, 2 Controllers, 2 power chords, and a face plate from another 360.
Wanted the memory card and the face plate(Why not), maybe a controller also. They were like "No we can't seperate them"
I. Was. Pissed.[/QUOTE]

Most thrift stores won't separate items for some reason. I'm not really sure why, I just don't think the associates are capable of repricing an item if they break it up. A store near me has a Gamecube marked at $59.99 with two old sports titles. It also has an Action Replay Max (with the memory card component), which I want, but apparantly I'd need to pay the full $59.99 just to get the AR, which is not really worth it at that point.

[quote name='moop2001']I just sold a lot of 1800 of them for $45. They aren't worth much and shipping on that many cards was astronomical but I still made a profit.[/QUOTE]

How much did the 1800 weigh?

I'm have no idea how many are in my box =x

[quote name='Skogul00']How much did the 1800 weigh?

I'm have no idea how many are in my box =x[/QUOTE]

about 8 pounds. A good way to get the estimate of the total cards you have is to count out 100 and then measure that stack. Once you have that measurement you can then measure all of them and figure ut hoe many you have.

Picked up the following
Dlink wireless N router - 9.99
LocoRoco PsP - > .99

And from a yard sale projector for $5

photo62.jpg

[quote name='Zaku77']Just noticed your name, are you from RPGamer?[/QUOTE]

no i've never heard of that site

Went to get another system only NES and a controller for $9, it was gone. Ending up getting a Sega Genesis Model 1 attached to a Sega CD model 2 with rf adapter and a Sega official 6 button controller. Only have 1 ac adapter around here so I only know the Genesis at least works. $15 for the systems + $20 for 2 adapters off Ebay might not leave tons of profit (a few did sell for $60+) but it looks cool so I might keep it for awhile.

Thrift Store: Mothy Python and the holy grail $2!!! I was siked cas=use i haven't seen a copy of it ever.
$7 for a snorkeling set for my sis. Had goggles that fit both of us, flippers, and the mouth piece.

Goodwill: Should Have bought but we needed summer clothes, $25 for a TI-85 Graphing calculator(Had a $100 walmart price tag wahhh) Webkins for my sis for 3 for a buck
Passed on these $20 each Rockband drumsets for wii and ps3 (but not one for 360 >_

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']Thrift Store: Mothy Python and the holy grail $2!!! I was siked cas=use i haven't seen a copy of it ever.
$7 for a snorkeling set for my sis. Had goggles that fit both of us, flippers, and the mouth piece.

Goodwill: Should Have bought but we needed summer clothes, $25 for a TI-85 Graphing calculator(Had a $100 walmart price tag wahhh) Webkins for my sis for 3 for a buck
Passed on these $20 each Rockband drumsets for wii and ps3 (but not one for 360 >_

Came up with a pretty nice haul from GW for $16 today:

Genesis (all complete):
Tecmo Superbowl
X-Men
Streets of Rage 2

SNES:
Eek! the Cat
Mortal Kombat II
Super Mario World

Gameboy:
F-1 Race (complete)

I left a pile of Gen/SNES sports titles in my wake, along with a Gen copy of MKII, a complete copy of Sonic 1 (already have them), a filthy NES with cables/controllers, a model 1 Genesis with cables/controllers, and 2 PS1s with cables/controllers. A friend of mine grabbed a bunch of games from the same GW a day or two ago (Vectorman, DK Country 1, Super Mario Kart stand out in my memory), so someone must've dumped their whole retro gaming collection on that place recently.

Got the following:

Myst IV Limited Edition Complete - $2.99
Half-Life 2 Episode Pack NEW - $2.99
Jurassic Park: Trespasser - $0.99
Close Combat III: The Russian Front - $0.99

[quote name='Pirate331']Came up with a pretty nice haul from GW for $16 today:

Genesis (all complete):
Tecmo Superbowl
X-Men
Streets of Rage 2

SNES:
Eek! the Cat
Mortal Kombat II
Super Mario World

Gameboy:
F-1 Race (complete)

I left a pile of Gen/SNES sports titles in my wake, along with a Gen copy of MKII, a complete copy of Sonic 1 (already have them), a filthy NES with cables/controllers, a model 1 Genesis with cables/controllers, and 2 PS1s with cables/controllers. A friend of mine grabbed a bunch of games from the same GW a day or two ago (Vectorman, DK Country 1, Super Mario Kart stand out in my memory), so someone must've dumped their whole retro gaming collection on that place recently.[/QUOTE]

I rarely leave any Nintendo system unless its a redick price like the $70 one I saw the other day with 10 common games. Most NES, SNES, and N64 systems I see are $5-$20 so theyre always an easy flip. Sega stuff has been getting difficult so I dont always buy Genesis or Dreamcast unless I want one again for awhile.

Not a whole lot today, Pokemon Puzzle League and a sealed Grandma's Boy UMD (never seen it, any good?) for $2 each. Passed on a Genesis 1, didn't have the cables. Was hoping for some Genesis games after I saw it there, but couldn't find any :(

Best part was later when I ran in to a friend from high school at GS. He was trading in a bunch of games, and when I asked about one he said he'd give it to me for a dollar over whatever the TIV was. I got Pikmin and the Magna Carta box set complete for $6.

[quote name='aptanor']Not a whole lot today, Pokemon Puzzle League and a sealed Grandma's Boy UMD (never seen it, any good?) for $2 each. Passed on a Genesis 1, didn't have the cables. Was hoping for some Genesis games after I saw it there, but couldn't find any :(

Best part was later when I ran in to a friend from high school at GS. He was trading in a bunch of games, and when I asked about one he said he'd give it to me for a dollar over whatever the TIV was. I got Pikmin and the Magna Carta box set complete for $6.[/QUOTE]

How could you be a gamer and have never seen Grandma's Boy? IMO, it's one of the best Happy Madison and stoner movies ever. And for the record, I don't smoke pot and I still love that movie. :whistle2:#

[quote name='sp00ge']How could you be a gamer and have never seen Grandma's Boy? IMO, it's one of the best Happy Madison and stoner movies ever. And for the record, I don't smoke pot and I still love that movie. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

For the record, I'm pretty sure sp00ge smokes a *lot* of pot... :p

I haven't had any luck at local thrift stores since... about 5 years ago when I found some Sega CD games.

[quote name='georox']For the record, I'm pretty sure sp00ge smokes a *lot* of pot... :p

I haven't had any luck at local thrift stores since... about 5 years ago when I found some Sega CD games.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm gonna have to dig back into the archives for this one, when Geo wasn't such a douche:

[quote name='sp00ge']fuck you, geo![/QUOTE]

;)

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']Lucky ass. #%$#&@~#%@$^&#$&$#$^&$%&* For Shag-fuing $59 dollars RARG!!![/QUOTE]

did you see the Official Component cable too?

[quote name='sp00ge']How could you be a gamer and have never seen Grandma's Boy? IMO, it's one of the best Happy Madison and stoner movies ever. And for the record, I don't smoke pot and I still love that movie. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

My only problem with that movie is that every single time I tell someone I used to be a game tester they immediately ask "Was it like Grandma's Boy?" I've seriously had that happen 10 or more times now.

[quote name='Doomstink']My only problem with that movie is that every single time I tell someone I used to be a game tester they immediately ask "Was it like Grandma's Boy?" I've seriously had that happen 10 or more times now.[/QUOTE]

So, was it like Grandma's Boy?

At Savers this evening I picked up Scrabble for 2.99 and Buzz Lightyear of Star Command for 1.99 both for PS1. Both were kind of meh deals, but it's a few bucks less than what they go for on Amazon, and I'm collecting for PS1 now, so I'm pretty much picking up anything I can find that I don't have at this point unless it's a sports title or way overpriced.

My Goodwill had an in box NES, separate zapper that was in box, and 5 games marked $199.00. They claimed it was new, never opened. I had them open the box and the console was scratched, controllers and cables were dirty, and the plastic bags missing. I asked since it was clearly used could the price be adjusted. She claimed that prices are final once an item is tagged. What could have been an amazing find was just a disappointment.

[quote name='blindinglights']My Goodwill had an in box NES, separate zapper that was in box, and 5 games marked $199.00. They claimed it was new, never opened. I had them open the box and the console was scratched, controllers and cables were dirty, and the plastic bags missing. I asked since it was clearly used could the price be adjusted. She claimed that prices are final once an item is tagged. What could have been an amazing find was just a disappointment.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but think of the doof who's gonna pay $200 for it. It'll happen, there was an OG Xbox for $80 that every time I saw I said "nobody's ever going to buy that." Sure enough...

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']Thrift Store: Mothy Python and the holy grail $2!!! I was siked cas=use i haven't seen a copy of it ever.
[/QUOTE]

The Special Edition? I got mine out of the $5 bin at Walmart. I don't know why it's so cheap, there's a ton of stuff on there. As a matter of fact, I wish I still had it.

If they were so convinced it was new, why open it and ruin the potential value?

I got Sonic Shuffle (Dreamcast) at Salvation Army for $1.99 today. Yay, I guess.

Got Alice for the PC today. The two discs and the case with the Validation key.
That's my second one in two months. This one wasn't in the box though.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']If they were so convinced it was new, why open it and ruin the potential value?[/QUOTE]

It was just a box with the flap that slides in to close it. There were no seals to break or anything. The only real seals would have been the taped plastic bags that covered the components.

[quote name='Survivalism']Yeah, but think of the doof who's gonna pay $200 for it. It'll happen, there was an OG Xbox for $80 that every time I saw I said "nobody's ever going to buy that." Sure enough...[/QUOTE]

I see this all the time and it just boggles my mind. Consoles in various states of completeness marked with absolutely absurd prices. For example I see PS1 consoles all the time, sometimes even without wires priced anywhere from $15 to $40. The worst offender was Goodwill the other day who had a PS2 with wires, 1 controller, and 2 sports titles for $75

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back