Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Post some pics if you get it (please)[/QUOTE]

I will don't worry! I'm at work right now which is in the same strip as Goodwill and I won't be able to get it for at least another half hour. This is killing me, knowing my luck it will be gone when I go back!

Honestly, I'd rather find a Sega CDX for $20, but I'd jump on an opportunity like that. Found Kingdom Hearts 2 for $3 at my local Goodwill.

Good news! It was still there when I went back and I bought it..
t4XbG.jpg

cHEIc.jpg

ot76g.jpg

And finallyyy
rcNKl.jpg

Also, it came with Billy Madison too :p I tested the movies, they all work and now I'm going to test some Genesis games!

[quote name='juangrande386']What a great collection of movies!! REDICKULOUS[/QUOTE]

Haha I know! I was surprised! and the Genesis slot works too so I'm pretty happy!

[quote name='iiinightmar3ii']Wow congrats on the amazing find! Going to keep it or sell it?[/QUOTE]

I'll keep it for a little while at least but it is HUGE and is going to take up a lot of space... Oh well I'm the only person I know of in my area to ever have one though haha

[quote name='sonderiaom']Pisses me off when I see at my local goodwill that they're trying to sell disc only copies of halo 3 and odst for $30 a pop.[/QUOTE]

I actually know a few goodwill stores (the middle class/rich neighborhood) around my area that are trying to sell games without the game disc for $5.99/$14.99 each. I asked them where's the game disc, hoping they'd have it stored in a CD case, got a reply back "Sorry, someone probably stole it". So you want me to pay $15 for Halo Reach's Manual and Case but no game disc? Hmm.

Today was another wild thrifting day. The controllers were pouring out of the stores. The sticks on the various N64 controllers range from shit to good but the colors are solid so hopefully they are flip worthy. In the past week I've found 3 of those wireless Logitech Xbox controllers. I'm not sure of the Saturn's ability to turn on but for $8 I decided to take a plunge. I've never found one before either so that had some influence.
IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

Also decided to show some non gaming pick-ups for fun.
IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

Finally, cuz this stuff is just plain fun.
Target Clearance for $125
IMG_1557.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a 3DO tonight for $50, but I passed since it didn't have any games. I did, however, find...

Where In Time Is Carmen Sandiego(SNES) - $4
WWE Best of Raw Is War DVD Disc 1 - $3
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood - $2.45
Bon Jovi - Crossroad: The Best of Bon Jovi - $0.92
Mandy Moore - I Wanna Be With You - $0.25
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery Soundtrack - $0.25
Filter - Short Bus - $0.68
The Beatles - Abbey Road - $0.92

Very pleased with my finds today, especially Abbey Road.

[quote name='postaboy']I actually know a few goodwill stores (the middle class/rich neighborhood) around my area that are trying to sell games without the game disc for $5.99/$14.99 each. I asked them where's the game disc, hoping they'd have it stored in a CD case, got a reply back "Sorry, someone probably stole it". So you want me to pay $15 for Halo Reach's Manual and Case but no game disc? Hmm.[/QUOTE]

Offer them a buck for it. Worst thing they can say is no.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='moop2001']
and $7 each....
IMG_1556.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Look, if you really that there's some sort of huge windfall profit to be made on 3 dozen copies of Dragon Quest IX, then all the more power to you, but please, do us all a favor and don't post this shit here, it's just going to lead to another endless argument about hoarders vs collectors.

[quote name='spmahn']Look, if you really think you're going to be making some kind of huge windfall profit on 3 dozen copies of Dragon Quest IX, then all the more power to you, but please, do us all a favor and don't post this shit here, it's just going to lead to another endless argument about hoarders vs collectors.[/QUOTE]

If he bought it online, is it the same idea as picking it up in a retail store? I don't know if I ever saw someone panning "online hoarding" but wonder if there is such a thing.

[quote name='spmahn']Look, if you really that there's some sort of huge windfall profit to be made on 3 dozen copies of Dragon Quest IX, then all the more power to you, but please, do us all a favor and don't post this shit here, it's just going to lead to another endless argument about hoarders vs collectors.[/QUOTE]

Yup, about $500 after all is said and done. Of course your highness is too good for that money and would scoff at it as a pittance fit for the peasants. Quit your whining. This is the Bragging Forum and I'm bragging. Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

You would think that with all that money you would at least pull that funk carpet up and replace it and maybe get a real bed set. I guess paying 100$ a month on rent for a trailer allows you to brag on forums with all the money you saved by not having to buy a lawnmower to cut your lot in the mobile home park.

[quote name='hellbringer333']You would think that with all that money you would at least pull that funk carpet up and replace it and maybe get a real bed set. I guess paying 100$ a month on rent for a trailer allows you to brag on forums with all the money you saved by not having to buy a lawnmower to cut your lot in the mobile home park.[/QUOTE]
ouch. it's not my carpet but that's okay.

At my local Thrift Stores, when there's no disc. The employees throw the game cases with manuals away. It happened twice to me when I found the case empty Super Monkey Ball 2 Player's Choice and Grand Theft Auto San Andreas Platinum Hits.

I figured they'd give it to me for free or at a lower price than the sticker. Next time, I'm going to tell them I'd buy them for a $1 instead of throwing it away.

Didn't know this thread existed or I'd have been posting all year. I've gotten back into collecting and this has been a fantastic year for Goodwill finds. The best yet was at our recently-opened local store. A Genesis Model 1, Sega CD Model 1, and a 32X, all assembled together with one price tag, $12.

Thankfully, my local Goodwill has no idea what their games are worth, so they price flat - $9.99 for newer consoles, $12 for older ones. All carts at $4.99, CD-based games at $4.99. Their weird pricing scheme got me a Saturn for $9.99, though the controllers were priced separately.

[quote name='Jerry-kun']Didn't know this thread existed or I'd have been posting all year. I've gotten back into collecting and this has been a fantastic year for Goodwill finds. The best yet was at our recently-opened local store. A Genesis Model 1, Sega CD Model 1, and a 32X, all assembled together with one price tag, $12.

Thankfully, my local Goodwill has no idea what their games are worth, so they price flat - $9.99 for newer consoles, $12 for older ones. All carts at $4.99, CD-based games at $4.99. Their weird pricing scheme got me a Saturn for $9.99, though the controllers were priced separately.[/QUOTE]

Youve been around since 2007 and you didnt know about the Thrift Store Threads??? Theres been one for like the past 4 of 5 years and its usually near the top.

My wife went garage sailing today and struck gold. 5$. Just missing the RF and AC cables (and the game). Otherwise in near-mint condition.

F i v e D o l l a h s :O

11276g7.jpg
24endjm.jpg
143018m.jpg

Edit: whoops sorry didnt see a seperate thread for yard sales >.

[quote name='casperinian']Offer them a buck for it. Worst thing they can say is no.[/QUOTE]

50 cent. You can either get good cases this way or the ignorant old lady will toss them in the trash to spite you *shakes fist at the one who killed my Soul Calibur replacement case*

[quote name='callmewoof']My wife went garage sailing today and struck gold. 5$. Just missing the RF and AC cables (and the game). Otherwise in near-mint condition.

F i v e D o l l a h s :O

Edit: whoops sorry didnt see a seperate thread for yard sales >.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']50 cent. You can either get good cases this way or the ignorant old lady will toss them in the trash to spite you *shakes fist at the one who killed my Soul Calibur replacement case*[/QUOTE]

Wow...what's wrong with people? Why would she turn away money? Guess you nailed it with spite.

[quote name='casperinian']Wow...what's wrong with people? Why would she turn away money? Guess you nailed it with spite.[/QUOTE]Once I got a game case and brought it up and they got the disc out of the disc binder, the disc had huge scratches on it and me and the lady working there both agreed it would never work so she tossed it in the trash can. I asked if I could have it and try and resurface it since they're just throwing it out and she said she would be fired if she gave anything away, so that might be the case.

Picked up a Clue: Dungeons and Dragons edition, complete, lowest they seem to go on eBay is $40, this one is in great shape. Paid $1.99 for it, also grabbed a couple complete almost like new sega genesis games, Centurion Defender of Rome and Starflight for $2 each.

[quote name='Beatofficer']Picked up a Clue: Dungeons and Dragons edition, complete, lowest they seem to go on eBay is $40, this one is in great shape. Paid $1.99 for it, also grabbed a couple complete almost like new sega genesis games, Centurion Defender of Rome and Starflight for $2 each.[/QUOTE]

You got a picture of it? That sounds real cool.

[quote name='Beatofficer']Picked up a Clue: Dungeons and Dragons edition, complete, lowest they seem to go on eBay is $40, this one is in great shape. Paid $1.99 for it, also grabbed a couple complete almost like new sega genesis games, Centurion Defender of Rome and Starflight for $2 each.[/QUOTE]

Any pics?

I found the Tengen NES Tetris (with a Game Genie), and a Japanese Bandai Bakudan Man (which might be my best find ever) and a Gamecube and Genesis controller for .99 a pound.

[quote name='casperinian']Wow...what's wrong with people? Why would she turn away money? Guess you nailed it with spite.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either; that's another 50 cents to their organization and it's not like the local market is hammering down doors for empty cases. Sometimes you got to watch who's running the cash register; even though I'm white myself I tend to avoid the sour old white ladies--as I tend to get most of my cases from cute young black girls ;) Call it racial profiling but it works for me XD

[quote name='blindinglights']I wish the stores in my area priced by weight :whistle2:(.[/QUOTE]
You have to find a goodwill outlet. The only problem is you have to sift through a lot of crap to hopefully find the good stuff. The majority of the stuff they sell at the outlets is the non-sellers shipped in from other GW stores.

I went to a thrift store yesterday and found zero gaming-related things, though I picked up a T-shirt that says "Allergic to Sunlight," which is kind of gamer-appropriate...

I found Dragon Warrior I, II, and III, cart only for $2.00 a cart on Saturday. I'm trying to figure out if I should list them on ebay or elsewhere.

today a grabbed an original xbox with the dvd remote and sensor, and all cables for $20. and 2 n64 controllers lime and purple clear for $4 each

Found a Game Gear at goodwill, no games but it seems to power on fine and it came in a nice little case. Didn't have a price tag so I asked a buddy of mine who works there to price it, and he went and fished out a $5 price tag for me :p

I'm a bit pissed, though. He said they had one the day before in one of those big cases with a bunch of accessories and 20-some-odd games and I missed it :wall:

[quote name='sp00ge']You have to find a goodwill outlet. The only problem is you have to sift through a lot of crap to hopefully find the good stuff. The majority of the stuff they sell at the outlets is the non-sellers shipped in from other GW stores.[/QUOTE]

I have trouble figuring out logic or reason to a Goodwill Outlet. Some stuff is clearly unsold from other stores, some is what they consider to be "junk" unfit to put in their other stores, and then you'll find some gem that appears they didn't want to process for the other stores. If you go through the entire place and find one nice thing you've done well, it takes patience that's for sure and if it's broke, too bad...

As to the thread in general and some responses I've seen, It's fun to come here and point out what you found (may be not as much fun to get jealous over other people's finds like that really cool Laserdisc/Sega system) but one has to understand that really good deals (demonstrably better than Ebay) are really not that easy to come by. You're mostly getting the finds, if I posted here every time I found crap I'd have hundreds of posts on the subject.

The art of the Goodwill deal is really no different than a clearance deal you might find at a retail store, or at a garage sale, (or even some patience on Ebay). You just look and look and look and then buy something hoping it's as valuable or what not as you think it is. Generally speaking though you're doing well if it's value is as high as what you paid. An original X-Box for $60, vs. a PS2 for $2, you're going to see more of the former.

My best thrift find is actually game used jersies (might have posted that in a old thrift store thread). I think I got 13, worth $50 each but two were Peavys (he needs to get healthy) putting the value of the lot over 1,000. Made doubly cool by the fact I used to be a batboy for the minor league team they were from. They were autographed and clearly auctioned originally, meaning the original owner had to have thousands invested. Do you know how much time that's made me waste going through old Goodwill clothes though?

My best find was actually a bunch of $20 Black / Silver Micros at a salvage store. I didn't buy nearly enough and let my brother have a couple, so instead of making thousands I made a couple hundred (which required selling my personal micro). Then again, I have a bunch of PS2 network adapters that are now worth about what I paid for them, but I am starting to get enough PS2s to match them for what it's worth.

Anyway, good finds, no matter where you look is usually a combination of luck, patience, and knowledge. If someone just wanders into a store at random and finds something great, that's usually just sheer blind luck and isn't much different from winning a raffle. In the end, you're lucky if you can "break" even to the point you are subsidizing your gaming related purchases with the occasional flip. Sure, it's worth the effort but if you go into any thrift store expecting to find something great, you're almost certain to be disappointed.

Having said that, here are some of the finds from the past couple months:
$4 Gamecube w/ two controllers, memory card and game
$2 SNES (bad condition, no cables, but working)
$2 PS2 (fat, great condition, working with crappy sports game but nothing else)
$2 Super Mario 64 (I think, they've done carts from $2 to by the pound)
$2 Shenmue DC
$5 Dell Axim X5 High End w/ charger, SD card, and CF card
$2 Dirty GBA with no battery cover (with SMA4, which is why I got it)
And... a few other games, cords, and controllers which are otherwise forgettable. So, aside from my last trip I had some good finds, but nothing worth writing home about.

[quote name='KrAzY3']

$2 Shenmue DC
And... a few other games, cords, and controllers which are otherwise forgettable. So, aside from my last trip I had some good finds, but nothing worth writing home about.[/QUOTE]

Nice, at my goodwill a PS2 would cost like $75 bucks. I guess that's what happens when the old ladies are pricing everything.

[quote name='KrAzY3']I have trouble figuring out logic or reason to a Goodwill Outlet. Some stuff is clearly unsold from other stores, some is what they consider to be "junk" unfit to put in their other stores, and then you'll find some gem that appears they didn't want to process for the other stores. If you go through the entire place and find one nice thing you've done well, it takes patience that's for sure and if it's broke, too bad...

As to the thread in general and some responses I've seen, It's fun to come here and point out what you found (may be not as much fun to get jealous over other people's finds like that really cool Laserdisc/Sega system) but one has to understand that really good deals (demonstrably better than Ebay) are really not that easy to come by. You're mostly getting the finds, if I posted here every time I found crap I'd have hundreds of posts on the subject.

The art of the Goodwill deal is really no different than a clearance deal you might find at a retail store, or at a garage sale, (or even some patience on Ebay). You just look and look and look and then buy something hoping it's as valuable or what not as you think it is. Generally speaking though you're doing well if it's value is as high as what you paid. An original X-Box for $60, vs. a PS2 for $2, you're going to see more of the former.

My best thrift find is actually game used jersies (might have posted that in a old thrift store thread). I think I got 13, worth $50 each but two were Peavys (he needs to get healthy) putting the value of the lot over 1,000. Made doubly cool by the fact I used to be a batboy for the minor league team they were from. They were autographed and clearly auctioned originally, meaning the original owner had to have thousands invested. Do you know how much time that's made me waste going through old Goodwill clothes though?

My best find was actually a bunch of $20 Black / Silver Micros at a salvage store. I didn't buy nearly enough and let my brother have a couple, so instead of making thousands I made a couple hundred (which required selling my personal micro). Then again, I have a bunch of PS2 network adapters that are now worth about what I paid for them, but I am starting to get enough PS2s to match them for what it's worth.

Anyway, good finds, no matter where you look is usually a combination of luck, patience, and knowledge. If someone just wanders into a store at random and finds something great, that's usually just sheer blind luck and isn't much different from winning a raffle. In the end, you're lucky if you can "break" even to the point you are subsidizing your gaming related purchases with the occasional flip. Sure, it's worth the effort but if you go into any thrift store expecting to find something great, you're almost certain to be disappointed.

$2 Shenmue DC
And... a few other games, cords, and controllers which are otherwise forgettable. So, aside from my last trip I had some good finds, but nothing worth writing home about.[/QUOTE]

I had quite an emotional rollercoaster yesterday at the GW across the street from my house. I initially went over just to donate some old clothes and stuffed animals/toys my daughter doesn't play with anymore, but I decided to go in and take a look around.

First thing I noticed was the shelf by the crappy VHS tapes was LOADED with old big-box PC games, all in MINT condition and complete. I ended up with these at $3/each:

• Panzer General II (With guide)
  • Dungeon Keeper
    • The Deeper Dungeons Expansion Pack
  • Lords of the Realm 2
    • Siege Pack
  • Heroes of Might and Magic 2: The Succession Wars
    • Price of Loyalty Expansion Pack
  • Patrol Disk for Silent Hunter
  • Knights and Merchants (Sealed)
  • M1 Tank Platoon 2
There were a ton more, but these are the ones that are worth money. Some are only going for ~$12-15, while others are $30+.

I also snagged a few copies of Get Fit With Mel B for $3 each.

And then the most happy/sad/excited moment of the trip. I was looking in one of the glass cases at the PS1 games that were stacked up and noticed Tecmo Super Bowl and get a little excited. I asked to see it and when I pulled it out, the cover of it was Lego Racers. My heart sank. I opened it to just check the disc inside and I nearly shit myself. Mega Man Legends 2. Disc only, but for $3, it was a steal.

I also snagged a Linksys WMCE54AG Media Extender for $2, but I'm just going to resell it since it won't connect to my WPA2 enabled network. :(

[quote name='sp00ge']Something about finding MORE complete PC games.[/QUOTE]
I hate you.:cry:
:lol:

Also my mom for throwing away my old PC (and console for that matter) game boxes.

I think I shown her the error of her ways when I told her how much I sold the box (and inserts) to Chrono Trigger for. :lol:

[quote name='mguiddy']I hate you.:cry:
:lol:

Also my mom for throwing away my old PC (and console for that matter) game boxes.

I think I shown her the error of her ways when I told her how much I sold the box (and inserts) to Chrono Trigger for. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I REALLY REALLY wish I had the space to collect old PC stuff, but I just don't have the space or enough power outlets to pull it off. I only have room for one desk and one desktop computer. I pick up the games when I see them because they are usually dirt cheap or free but I end up giving them to my friend who does have the room for old PC stuff.

That's a nice haul. I didn't even know Dungeon Keeper had an expansion (just a lousy sequel.) One day I'll finish that game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back